Echard Wheeler Photography Reviews

42 | Virginia Beach, VA

42 Reviews for Echard Wheeler Photography

42 Echard Wheeler Photography Reviews

Meaghan · Married on 06/24/2017

Echard was the perfect photographer. He took phenomenal photographs and has an exceptional eye. He was undetectable, extremely kind and easy going yet professional, efficient and precise. Clearly he has polished his craft. He delivered an enormous album of stunning photos just weeks after our wedding. We're blown away with the quality of the images and are grateful to have had such a talented and unique photographer capture our big day. Thank you, Echard!

I HIGHLY recommend any bride and groom to consider Echard Wheeler for their wedding photographer! When Chris and I saw his portfolio we were so impressed, we loved his photojournalism style that incorporated traditional elements but was also very unique. Echard was really easy to work with; we had to talk over phone as we were planning our Virginia Beach wedding from our home in Georgia. (this was not a problem at all). Our wedding day ended up being rainy and kind of windy, but this did not stop Echard at all. He still knew exactly where to take the best pictures as he is familiar with the weather. He even had Chris and I take some pictures out on the dock in the rain that turned out beautifully! Echard was finished with the gallery about 2 weeks after the wedding which was much quicker than I was expecting. Everyone loves the photos! You spend so much time planning the wedding, so I think having a great photographer is very important. We had such a wonderful time with friends and family at our wedding and Echard was able to capture all of our emotions. We will treasure these photos. -Emily Hardt

Sent on 08/21/2016

Echard Wheeler Photography's reply:

Thank you guys so much! Your wedding was so much fun to shoot, and the weather just made it even more romantic :) The fact that you guys were game for photos out in the elements was a bonus-- such beautiful moments with you both. It was such a great celebration...congrats!
  • Brittany

Brittany · Married on 05/07/2016

ECHARD IS THE BEST!! I was thrilled when we were able to hire Echard as our photographer. His pictures are so beautiful and he captures the most amazing moments. He did our engagement photos and our wedding photos and we are beyond happy with how they turned out. During our wedding, him and his wife were so discreet you didn't even realize they were there. They got the best shots! And Echard is such a professional. He is so easy going and lets you have an opinion on how you want your photos done. I would highly recommend him to anyone getting married. You will be so happy you have him!

Christy · Married on 04/16/2016

HIRE ECHARD WHEELER. You won't regret it, I promise you. The only thing you get to take with you from your wedding day is the photography, and Echard captures every little beautiful moment, moments you may not even realize are happening, from my dad carrying my sister's heels when they hurt her feet to my cousin's baby chasing my wedding dress. He and his wife/assistant Leesa showed up early on our wedding day, came prepared, and were fun, pleasant company throughout the wedding day. (It's true, you spend almost more time with your photographer than you do with your new spouse.) Echard is an absolute professional and has clearly shot hundreds of weddings-he knew the family portrait shot list by heart and exactly what light sources would be best. Our photos turned out beautifully, and he posted them on his blog within two weeks, along with a flash drive and online gallery of all 1500 photos. Echard's services and talents are worth every penny and I can't recommend him and Leesa more wholeheartedly.

After meeting Echard for the first time, I could tell how laid-back and professional he was. Both of those things are extremely important to have in the wedding industry, especially in photography! He talked us through every photoshoot and laughed with us, which made us so comfortable in front of the camera. Echard shot my engagement photos, bridal portraits, and wedding and all three came out fantastic!!! He has such a creative style and has the ability to make every photo interesting and beautiful. He makes himself available to meet with you and answer any questions you may have throughout the whole process of wedding planning. If you are debating on spending the money on an excellent photographer, choose Echard Wheeler Photography!! I promise that he will not disappoint.

Echard is the best! He was able to capture the most beautiful moments for our engagement and wedding pictures. He is easy going, yet was able to effectively direct us and make everyone feel comfortable. He work is stunning and he was one of our best decisions. LOVE!

Echard Wheeler is simply fantastic. He is so friendly and easy to work with. He does an incredible job of capturing all of the best moments of your wedding day without being obtrusive in any way. His photographs are absolutely stunning and will be the perfect reminders of your big day.

Echard was one of the best decision we made when planning our wedding! We were planning from across the country, and he made communication so easy through FaceTime and Email. He was so laid back and so easy to work with, and we had zero worries about him getting the shots that would help us remember our day forever. On the day of our wedding, his relaxed attitude and ability to blend into the background totally put us at ease, and we hardly noticed he was there! Everyone could not stop talking about how fantastic our photographer was. We also used Echard's Photo Booth which I would totally recommend! His props were amazing and the shots turned out great! His turnaround time on the Photo Booth pictures was also very quick, like 2 days!

Thanks so much Echard for capturing our day!

Jennifer · Married on 10/04/2014

There is no way I can put into words how amazing working with Echard has been. From the first time I met with him, I was infused with a quiet excitement that ended up being a magical part of our wedding day. I'm not crazy about pictures of myself and the necessity of photographing so many moments when you are unaware, not posing... it was daunting.

After the first few moments of actual shooting on the day of the wedding, every fear dropped away. I forget he was there, which has resulted in some of the most gorgeous pictures of my husband and I that I have ever seen. And they aren't just wedding pictures. Somehow, Echard was able to capture the joy and happiness of that day, the way it reverberated within us and create a story of laughter and beauty of that day and the people around us.

On the more clinical end, the process from booking until day-of has been incredibly smooth. Echard is very responsive which was a must for me when I was so incredibly busy in the year before and leading up to the wedding. Plus, I could ask him the same question three times and he was always patient and gave me a quick answer. For his quality of work and competition in the area, the all the values have definitely earned strong 5s.

Also, if you can swing it in the budget and space, do the {un}Photobooth. Everyone looks incredibly and watching leads to participating. We got our whole family (10 people I think) in once fun group shot. And we all have supermodel skin and eyes.

I cannot recommend Echard enough. (We are even hoping to book him for a big family photo adventure.) Remember that after the food is eaten and the toasts have been made and the last dance has been danced, your pictures are what survives. Put a great photographer in your budget and you will have timeless images to treasure and show off to your grandkids.

Thanks to Echard, I'll be able to say "Wasn't Grandma a hottie?"

Courtney · Married on 09/13/2014

Plain and simple, Echard Wheeler is the man!! From our first meeting with him, we felt comfortable since he is so personable and interesting. We were immediately excited about our decision to hire him, and that excitement turned into delight as we got both our engagement and wedding photos - they are ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!! So many of my friends and family commented that he was practically invisible since they had no clue he had taken so many awesome shots - which is a testament to his un-obtrusive, professional style. His wife, Leesa, was there as well to help time our first look in the beginning, and then photograph the photo booth pictures at the reception, and she was equally as sweet and fun to be around. When our outdoor reception got down-poured on, they both helped keep us calm, and had no complaints about running around in the mud to give us such beautiful, fun images that we will treasure for a lifetime. Echard, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for photographing the best day of our lives so far, in such a perfect way.

Tara · Married on 09/09/2014

We made a lot of great decisions while planning our wedding...but hands down at the top of the list was choosing Echard Wheeler Photography. I was sold just by looking through Echard's portfolio of previous work and also his very fair contract terms (one of the rare photographers who actually grant you the rights to your photos so you can print them through him or on your own), but after meeting with him for our Engagement session and corresponding prior to the wedding, we knew he was not only a true professional, but a great guy as well. The wedding day soon arrived, and Echard was nothing short of amazing. He captured not only the most important parts of the main event, but also the peripheral details and intimate moments that one might not even be aware of until they see their album. We have relived that special day again and again over the last few weeks because we cannot put down our laptops and tablets -- he did such an amazing job. Highest marks for this event, and we are already looking forward to working with Echard again on future milestones. Thanks again Echard!

I don’t know if we’ll ever find the words to properly express how impressed and grateful we are for Echard Wheeler Photography so beautifully capturing our wedding day. The photos of our day are truly incredible and one of the greatest gifts we could ever hope to receive.

To start with, Echard and his wife and shooting partner, Leesa, are some of the loveliest people around—they’re a true joy to share your big day with. You end up spending almost as much time with your wedding photographer as you do with your new spouse on your wedding day, so thank goodness ours were Echard and Leesa. These two pour so much of their hearts and souls into their work and they’re a joy to be around. We feel so lucky to have gotten to know them so well over the course of our wedding from the engagement session to the big day. Not only did we get great photos out of it but we also got great friends.

This was by far the most important investment we made and we couldn’t be more satisfied with that decision. The photos themselves are absolutely stunning and artfully captured—his eye for detail is impeccable. Every time we look through our photos we see something new that we hadn’t noticed before. And there are so many quiet moments that we weren’t even aware of at the time but will forever live on in through these images. Echard is without a doubt one of the most creative, inspired and wickedly talented photographers out there, and certainly the top of the pack in this area. Do yourself a favor and book him ASAP!! You’ll be so glad you did.

Meredith · Married on 05/31/2014

The memories that Echard captured on our wedding day exceeded our expectations! His photographs are truly beautiful and we couldn't have asked for anything more. Apart from his incredible talent, Echard's professionalism is above and beyond. He was very easy to work with, as I gave him a huge list of must-have photographs and he did everything he could to knock it out of the park! We loved the fact that he managed to blend right in at the wedding, sporting a bow tie and khakis instead of the all-black attire so many photographers typically wear! His fun and unique style really shows through in all aspects of his work, and we feel very lucky to have had Echard be a part of our wedding!

Bridget · Married on 03/22/2014

Echard's work is simply stunning- a work of art! We just received our first proofs, and they brought me to tears. He not only captures events, but he captures moments. His photos are artistic, touching, and help you relive the event. Echard was detail oriented and organized- capturing all of the family portrait combos quickly (se we could get to the cocktail hour!) and he even noticed when the sun finally came out for sunset - and grabbed us (bride and groom) for some of the best shots of the night. We would recommend him over and over again. Echard's calm demeanor and professionalism were a delight. I can't imagine working with a better photographer!

Lyndy · Married on 02/08/2014

AMAZING photographer!!! He captured the emotion of the day perfectly! We have so many wonderful pictures to remember our wedding by! Echard is very efficient, professional, and a genius with a camera. You definitely get what you pay for! His packages include an engagement/bridal session, you get all the pictures he takes, and you get a photobook included! He also does an "unphotobooth" with very high quality, photobooth-like pictures - all the fun of a photobooth but unlimited photos, a professional photographer, and great lighting! I cannot say enough wonderful things, but his pictures on his website will say it all. We could not have asked for any better!!! Also, no waiting months for your pictures - we had all of our pictures within 2 weeks of our wedding!!!

Susan · Married on 11/09/2013

I cannot say enough good things about Echard Wheeler!! I am so happy we hired him as our wedding photographer! He was flexible and did exactly what we wanted! I was very interested in more of the photo-journalist approach to our wedding day, without a ton of posed pictures.... which is exactly what we got!! (Of course there are still some posed pictures, but not a trillion! And when I asked him to take a bunch of pictures of all the small wedding details he did exactly that!!)

On our wedding day he was like a ninja! I don't remember seeing him very much but he was snapping pictures all over the place!! I was running everywhere all day, trying to talk to all my guests and dance like a fool! I was worried he and I may have been running in different directions the whole time, but he kept up with me and got a ton of great images!

His work is terrific, but I also want to tell you about his turn around time... I WAS SHOCKED at how quickly we got our images back from him!! About two-ish weeks after our wedding he was already sending us the images!! That is much quicker than a lot of other local photographers.

I HIGHLY recommend you book him to set up his photo booth as well! This was a huge hit with our guests. The pictures were hilarious and definitely some of my favorites from the entire day!

Hire Echard. Just do it. He is a great person and a great photographer. You won't regret it. :)

Sent on 11/29/2013

Echard Wheeler Photography's reply:

Hey, thanks for the kind words Susan! Looking forward to working with you in the road ahead. Cheers!
  • Kelli

Kelli · Married on 08/03/2013

Echard is AMAZING! There was no other photographer I would have used. His work is outstanding and he's very easy to work with!

Sent on 09/04/2013

Echard Wheeler Photography's reply:

Thanks Kelli, you guys were a blast!

Michele · Married on 06/21/2013

Echard Wheeler Photography met every need, creative idea, and personalization Matt and I were looking for to capture our wedding! He didn't miss a beat of our whole affair. The photos are stunning! We couldn't be happier with the whole experience, from booking to receiving the pictures! They are perfect! Thank you so much Echard!!

Sent on 07/17/2013

Echard Wheeler Photography's reply:

I loved your emotions during your first look and prayer. Truly beautiful! Happy New Year and see all again soon:)
  • Ben

Ben · Married on 06/13/2013

We hired Echard to photograph our Outer Banks wedding for a couple reasons:

(1) Our reception venue was the Kitty Hawk Pier House. It's a difficult venue to photograph because the panoramic windows, while offering beautiful views for its guests, generate a lot of backlighting against the subjects being photographed. We compared many photographers' portfolios, and Echard's work in this venue was the best. Also, he has a deep working knowledge of the OBX from shooting so many events in the area–so he had an aesthetic perspective on where to shoot and when based on many factors including the timing of the setting sun, locations where we wouldn't encounter too much tourism, etc.

(2) We did a telephone interview with Echard several months before our wedding and he made my wife feel comfortable and relaxed. We trusted that with his calming presence would be reflected on our faces in the photos and we are glad we did. We're not sure how else to articulate this important point–but Echard is a good guy with positive, focused energy. Everyone felt comfortable around him.

Echard's presence during our wedding and reception was just as we hoped–professional but relaxed. He was perceptive but not overly directive. We made a shot list for family photos and a friend checked the boxes while Echard shot each pairing or clustering of family we considered important. In the end–not surprisingly–his documentary style photographs were some of the best. For the most part, you barely notice that he is around. We were also blessed with a giant lightning storm in the middle of our indoor reception. He grabbed us for photographs under the storm clouds when he noticed them rolling in. The results were stunning.

All in all, our experience was great and we adore our photos. We highly recommend Echard and wish him (and you!) all the best.

Photos from our wedding: http://bencikanek.com/2072363

Sent on 12/28/2013

Echard Wheeler Photography's reply:

I have to say that those photos out on the pier were a once in a life time thing for me. For us. Just wow! I always love shooting weddings at the pier but you guys were my fav couple so far. Great job all the planning you both did. And, thanks so much for the feedback. Cheers.

Melissa · Married on 06/08/2013

If I could rate Echard with 10 stars - I would! He was awesome to work with through the entire wedding process. When my (now) husband and I first met Echard - he sat down with us for over an hour just to get to know us, to understand our vision, and find out what we wanted to remember about our special day. Who does that? We initially booked him to photograph our wedding and engagement party, but after we saw how fantastic the engagement party photos turned out - we booked him for my bridal shower and the rehearsal dinner as well! I've received countless compliments on how gorgeous our photos (from all the events) turned out. The best part - Echard was like a ninja! He was so unobtrusive – we barely knew he was there, but was still somehow able to capture every special fleeting moment. Echard is going to be the Reass family photographer for life!!!

Sent on 07/16/2013

Echard Wheeler Photography's reply:

Hey Melissa, you are too sweet! Thanks so very much for the kind words and best to you and Matt!

shima · Married on 05/18/2013

Echard is a true pro. He needed very little direction, was totally unobtrusive, and got the most beautiful shots. And then he got everything to me before we were back from our honeymoon! He's the best!

Sent on 07/16/2013

Echard Wheeler Photography's reply:

Shima, it was a pleasure to document your big day. Happy New Year!

From Diana and Andrew: You must choose Echard as your wedding photographer. He will not only make you look like you walked right out of the magazine with perfect lighting, shading and angles, but he will also capture the spirit of the event and everyone's personalities. We cannot stop looking at our photos and recommend him highly!

Sent on 12/30/2013

Echard Wheeler Photography's reply:

Thanks Diana and Andrew! All the best!

Cart · Married on 04/06/2013

The reviews are all spot on! Echard is creative, incredibly professional, so unobtrusive, delightful to work with, and his photographs are stunning! Five (or more if I could!) stars!

Sent on 11/14/2013

Thanks Cart! You ROCK!!

Kate · Married on 10/27/2012

When our dream wedding was turned upside down by Hurricane Sandy, Echard was a true professional and even scouted out other locations so we could take pictures outside despite the rain pouring down. He has such a great eye for finding unique and different settings for pictures. We ended up under an underpass and the pictures came out AMAZING...almost like we planned it that way all along. We were dealt our share of catastrophes that day, and Echard always kept his cool and rolled with the punches. He provided such a sense of calm the entire day which was really nice to have as a bride. I don't know how he captures the true emotion of people in every photo he takes. His style of shooting is perfect if you want a story told with your photos, not just randomly posed shots. I would highly recommend Echard Wheeler to anyone in need of a photographer. He was the best investment we made for our wedding!

Sent on 03/19/2013

Echard Wheeler Photography's reply:

OMG! YOU made my day....month....YEAR!! Thanks so much for the feedback. The MAIN reason your wedding went to well, despite all the hurdles, was you and Michael's positive attitude. You both inspired me to do the best I possibly could. Best to you both, Echard

Chelsea · Married on 10/06/2012

Exceptional!!! Echard is worth every penny! He is so professional and such an artist at what he does. He captures the true essence of people. My wedding pictures are unbelievable. I have gotten nothing but amazing compliments about our photos. He is supper fun to work with and always made me feel beautiful!

Sent on 10/25/2012

Echard Wheeler Photography's reply:

You are so sweet Chels! Thanks so much! You all were a dream to work for and it came through in the photos. Best to you both!