Earle-Harrison House & Pape Gardens Reviews

22 | Waco, TX

22 Reviews for Earle-Harrison House & Pape Gardens

Stephanie · Married on 10/10/2020

Beautiful and easy

Kathy made everything perfect!

Sent on 11/30/2020

Joshua · Married on 05/02/2015

Right from the beginning we knew this is where we wanted to be married. After speaking with Kathy the first time and going over costs, it sounded a bit steep, but my wife wanted this venue so we signed contracts and started the process. Let me make one thing clear, the attention we received from Kathy and her staff, I can't even put an amount on that. Kathy handled EVERYTHING!! From decorations, to recommendations for other services, to assisting with the entire wedding planning process. All of our vendors came from Kathy's "wonder-list", and we were absolutely pleased with everything. I can't tell you how pleased we are with Kathy; she literally made our dream wedding happen and we couldn't be more in her debt for this. Kathy actually saved us money because we didn't need decoration rentals, Kathy has the best of the best, and it's all at your disposal. Even the tiniest detail, Kathy has figured out. STOP LOOKING FOR A VENUE! Kathy & The Earle-Harrison House is hands down the best place in Waco! Thank you Kathy for everything you did for us!
    Josh & Leah

Sent on 05/12/2015
  • User4581900 · 2+ years ago

I can't say enough fabulous things about Kathy Riggs @ at the Earle Harrison House. If you want someone who takes care of business, has great style & makes the entire process seamless, Kathy is your lady! She took care of every minor detail for my wedding last Saturday, 11/29/2014 & I couldn't have been happier with her. Kathy goes above & beyond to make your special day absolutely perfect! She is one of hardest working women I know & it shows as the Earle Harrison House is simply exquisite. One of the things I loved most about iKathy is her assertiveness. You tell her what you want, she gets it done. The biggest mistake you can make is taking her 'matter-of fact'' nature as being rude- believe me, you want & need this special lady planning your big day!!! Venue looked amazing, decor was fabulous & the entire process was seamless. I HIGHLY recommend Kathy @ the Earle Harrison House as my wedding & reception were both executed perfectly. Thank you again Kathy!!!

Sent on 12/02/2014

Victoria · Married on 04/02/2011

The Earle Harrison House and Pape Gardens are AMAZING! My wedding would not have been ANYTHING like it was without the house, gardens, and INCREDIBLE staff. The grounds manager is by far the best lady I have ever had to work with. She made my wedding planning and day fun, enjoyable, and perfect! My wedding day went PERFECT and if you have been a bride, you know that is rare. I was amazed at how smooth everything went, and it was all because of the Earle Harrison House and their staff, mainly Kathy. If you work with this venue, APPRECIATE KATHY! She will make your day EXACTLY what you want if you tell her your vision. The grounds and gardens are beautiful, well kept, and a gorgeous place to get married. I cannot say enough good about this venue. I would recommend it to anyone without hestitation!

Sent on 05/13/2011

Earle-Harrison House & Pape Gardens's reply:

Victoria, thank you for the kind words. You were a joy to serve.

Macy · Married on 05/22/2010

Kathy and all of the Earle Harrison House team made our wedding day PERFECT!! We could not have asked for more!

Sent on 05/31/2010

Elizabeth · Married on 05/08/2010

This was my dream wedding and I could not have done it any other place. Kathy and her staff were amazing!!! I would recommend this place to everyone!!!

Sent on 06/01/2010

Laurie · Married on 05/01/2010

My wedding would not have been what it was without Kathy and the beautiful venue she maintains. Kathy is absolutely AMAZING at what she does. It all ran soo smooth, I wouldn't have changed one thing! our day was PERFECT!!!!
    Laurie Hutto

Sent on 05/11/2010

Barbara · Married on 05/01/2010

This venue is amazing and the cost is beyond compare! The staff at EHH is so helpful and talented. We took our materials to Kathy and she made beautiful arrangements for the tables. We were 150% satisfied and our daughter kept saying that it everything was "perfect".
    You won't regret using EHH!

Sent on 05/21/2010

Janet · Married on 04/24/2010

The staff at Earle Harrison House always gave more than we contracted. They helped make our reception carefree by attending to all the little details

Sent on 05/10/2010

Donna · Married on 04/10/2010

Kathy was a dream to work with! The wedding and reception were absolutely marvelous. The setting was breathtaking and Kathy went above and beyond to make my daughter's dream wedding/reception come to reality. We bought cut flowers and Kathy meticulously set up and made all the centerpieces. Her talents are amazing.

Donna Tucker - MOB

Sent on 04/26/2010

Elizabeth · Married on 12/19/2009

Kathy at Earl Harrison House & Pape Gardens did a tremendous job and the reception was beautiful. The price is reasonable and the service is amazing. I felt like I was in a movie with how romantic the atmosphere felt. She went out of her way multiple times to make everything more than perfect! Thank you Kathy for making our wedding everything I dreamed it to be!

Sent on 01/04/2010

Garlan · Married on 10/15/2009

It could not have been any better!!!! The grounds are beautifully maintained...it is a great value for all the services recieved...the staff is very professional from your first meeting and tour until wedding day...loved the whole experience and can't thank you enough.

Sent on 12/08/2009

Amanda · Married on 09/27/2009

Kathy made sure that everything was exactly how I wanted it--making herself available for extra meetings, arranging flowers, and setting up the inside and outside even better than I imagined! On the day of my wedding, a few hours before it was supposed to start, I saw her outside blowing leaves from the grounds to make sure everything was perfect.

Sent on 12/03/2009

Jason · Married on 08/08/2009

This was definitely the least expensive outdoor venue that we found, and on top of that they have a huge inventory of things like decorations, tables, chairs, dishes, etc, that they let you use for no extra charge.They even take care of setup and tear-down for you. The lady who runs the place is extremely helpful and will try to get you exactly what you want. She has lots of contacts with vendors and she only recommends ones that she trusts from previous experience. It is a beautiful place to have an outdoor wedding and reception, and fit our budget great. 5 stars all-around from us.

Sent on 12/05/2009

Stacy · Married on 05/09/2009

Kathy at the Earle-Harrison house is absolutely amazing. I had my wedding there in May of '09 and it was incredible. I had so many people tell me that it was the most beautiful wedding they had ever been to.

Everything on the grounds is beautiful, but the personal attention and creativity of Kathy and her team make it 100 times better. She really worked with us to make sure that the day was exactly how we pictured it. She did almost all of my decorations and went above and beyond anything that I could have asked for. We even had a brunch on the grounds the following day. It was perfect.

Having grown up in the Waco area, I don't know of a single place that would be better.

Sent on 06/09/2009

Phyllis · Married on 04/18/2009

OMG!!! Could not have asked for anything better! Wedding was in April 2009...Kathy bent over backwards to help us with everything! then we had rain(pouring Rain) the morning of the the wedding and still managed to have an outside wedding...though Kathy was ready to have it insideif needed...SHe and her staff went above and beyond helping us out...she has awesome ideas and listens to you too...we had a wonderful wedding and the most fab reception! Can't go wrong!!! they book up fast!

Sent on 05/20/2010

Amanda · Married on 03/14/2009

I could not have lucked out and found a better place to be married. The gardens are just beautiful. My favorite part was having Kathy step in as a wedding planner type figure for my wedding. I wasn't able to afford to pay someone to be my wedding planner. Kathy enjoys doing wedding so much, and she has so much experience, she was great. She was sooooooooooooo helpful with the planning. And then the day of services, WOW, I was so impressed! I loved every bit of having my wedding at Earle Harrison House and Pape Gardens. My guests have raved about my wedding venue for months afterwards! They all told me it was so beautiful! So I was especially pleased that I loved the venue so much and my guests loved it as well.

Sent on 12/07/2009

Mandy · Married on 03/14/2009

LOVED this choice as my wedding venue. It could not have been more perfect! Kathy was so helpful when I didn't know what I wanted to do with the setup and decorations!

Sent on 03/28/2012
  • PinkWedding

Christy · Married on 06/14/2008

Kathy and her team were the best! The day of the wedding I didn't have to worry about ANYTHING! They took care of the setup, set all of the tables exactly how I wanted, and took wonderful care of us. They also helped clean up & move the centerpieces back to the storage area (we shared the altar arrangements & centerpieces w/ another couples who got married the same place the next day). The place was so great & didn't need any extra decorating.

The place was a little pricey, but worth every penny! You truly get what you pay for. Anyone getting married should definately check this place out.

I forgot to mention the copius amount of vases and other various items she has in her huge storage area that you can use!

Sent on 03/18/2010

Stacy · Married on 07/18/2009

The Earle Harrison is a great place to get married. For what you pay, it is definitely worth the money. With its two main employees, you couldn't even imagine how much they can accomplish. They made my wedding so beautiful and I am so happy I was married there.

Sent on 12/13/2009

Julie · Married on 05/30/2010

1.6
      0.5
      2.0
      3.0
      0.5
      2.0

Beautiful venue, wonderful location but the staff is nothing above sub-par. The property manager offers many different amenities for the location such as designing and creating the decorations for all things one would want for their wedding. This would be a great asset to have if the execution is done according to the groom’s and bride’s wishes. In our case, the manager had minimal time to meet with us and never understood our vision as she always had another client to meet with or had other needs to attend to. Come the day of our wedding, the decorations and linens were a completely different color, the table toppers we had ordered never were and all of our flowers had been misused. Our wedding cake did not even have the flowers we had ordered for it! All of these details due to the fact that the property manager overlooked our wedding and never allowed proper time to perfect our vision. My family was great and handled the entire situation while my husband and I were off taking pictures, ultimately making our day amazing.

Sent on 06/30/2010

Earle-Harrison House & Pape Gardens's reply:

We provided what was verbally & enthusiastically requested by the bride & groom w/ the MOB present at a drop-by meeting two weeks prior to their event. I've made changes to our business based on this experience. Our contract now requires a customer-signed workplan for all changes two weeks prior to events. Fewer call-first, drop-by visits will be agreed to as we do have a busy schedule. Although I cannot control all interruptions, my cellphone will be turned off during scheduled appointments. We try our best to create pleasant, memorable events for our renters; there's always room for improvement, these changes will help on our end. I'm glad that the event was viewed as successful for the family.

0.2
      1.0
      0.0

NIGHTMARE. Here are the details: FIRST MEET W/ KATHY @ EARLE HARRISON: Great. She was very nice to me. Everything seemed great! WEEK BEFORE WEDDING: Kathy was completely unprofessional. She bossed me around and told me what the decorations were. She berated my mom for requesting 2 small changes, then told us she wouldn't meet with us & no changes would be made. Kathy said she e-mailed me a copy of all the wedding details ("the work plan") after our meeting in January. WORKPLAN? I NEVER received a 'workplan' with details of the decor! I checked, I only received a blank* workplan form when I booked a yr ago, but never received detailed notes on decor selected. Kathy finally realized that she failed to send me the completed* workplan she typed. REHEARSAL/WEDDING: Kathy didn't show @ the rehearsal and day of wedding: Kathy barged into the changing room during my makeup appt. to ask if she could buy the plants I bought for reception tables (trying to put on winged eyeliner here and get married! not selling my reception plants at the moment!). Kathy left. The staff DIDN'T wrap the asparagus fern around the tent poles. They DIDN'T give tours of the house, they DIDN'T transport my grandparents on the golf carts as promised, and the staff tried to move the ceremony under the reception tent without my consent because it rained for 10 mins. The rain stopped at 6pm, we started 15 mins late to wipe down the chairs, everyone was fine! During our sparkler send off, my dress almost caught fire! They told people to move away from the wet-dead rose bushes (closer to me) as I walked down the aisle of fire-y sparklers! BOTTOMLINE: I paid $5K and I didn't get half of what was promised in the contract. I'm filing a formal complaint. 1 star for Responsiveness-Kathy e-mailed me very promptly-Except when she completely dropped the ball and failed to e-mail me her hidden agenda/workplan (smoking gun). and the irrational behavior that followed her mistake was only the tip of the iceberg!

Sent on 04/10/2014

Earle-Harrison House & Pape Gardens's reply:

The workplan may not have been received by you until two weeks prior, I thought it was sent & would have sent a copy had you let me know. Requested changes were made, including my reworking your rehearsal dinner flowers into table arrangements on Friday night. Unless requested (as spelled out in our packet) I'm not present at the rehearsal; I was told the officiant would run the rehearsal. I'm sorry you were offended that I offered to purchase your gallon rose containers, I thought it would be easier for your family than loading & transporting at midnight; "barging in" to ask was not the intention. I wasn't instructed to use the asparagus fern in the arch decor, your assignees instead used it for sprucing up containers. House tours were not given between the wedding/reception because nobody came (usually because the officiant doesn't announce as recommended), I sat inside EHH for 45 minutes. Greg and/or I were on the property working and available for questions thru the end of the event. If we'd been called to transport anyone by golfcart it would have been done. I'm glad you were able to have the wedding at the gazebo rather than in the tent (officiant made the call to use the tent which is always the backup plan); your dad saw Greg moving the sound system as instructed by the officiant & returned it to the gazebo as asked. Guests lined up on a walkway for the sparklers rather than the driveway where they are always staged for safety; Greg asked for ya'll to move due to the proximity to the historic house and its mulch-covered beds. Our $5K rental fee included reception decor & extensive inventory, setup/strike and cleanup on a 6-acre property with a 60x90 tent.