Dj Shakey Reviews

68 | Brooklyn, NY

68 Reviews for Dj Shakey

1 User photo

DJ Shakey did such a great job at my sister's wedding after party last year that I asked her to do my own! She was extremely easy to coordinate with and very responsive. She provided a music worklist, allowing you to request songs and artists, which she stuck to during the after party. She had everyone dancing until the last song!

Sent on 05/20/2014

M · Married on 04/18/2014

Julie is an amazing DJ with a great selection of music. She really understood the flow that we wanted for our wedding and delivered on keeping the music at the pace we wanted. Everyone raved about the music selection. I gave Julie mostly a general outline and let her DJ skills shine. She really made our wedding day the party we wanted. Thanks Julie!

Sent on 04/25/2014

Julie was super professional. Playing to a variety of age ranges and tastes, she was able to pack the dance floor almost immediately and was able to keep people there. Julie was accommodating to guests' requests without derailing the overall inclusive and banging vibe she established. She instructed the crowd to join in after the first dance had reached it's emotional peak and at created an unexpected moment where my wife and i looked up and were surrounded by loved ones. She played all of the right songs at the right times. Solid jams, solid person. THANKS.

Sent on 12/07/2013

Jessica · Married on 09/29/2013

Julie (DJ Shakey) did a phenomenal job! She made the process easy, understood exactly what we wanted and executed it perfectly, and was fun and easy to work with all along the way. She has an expansive knowledge of different styles of music, and is versatile and knowledgeable. I would recommend her to anyone.

Sent on 10/01/2013

Sherryann · Married on 09/21/2013

BEST. DJ. EVER.

My husband and I have very eclectic and non-mainstream tastes in music and pretty much despise modern dance/pop music, so we were wondering exactly how this whole process would go. We know we wanted an awesome dance party with music that people knew and would dance to, but didn't want to resort to the stuff we didn't like. PLUS, it was on a farm, so we really wanted to keep a laid back, Americana folk kind of vibe during the cocktail hour and dinner, so I knew our DJ really had to be comfortable with more than the mainstream playlists. I knew DJ Shakey because she had spun at a bunch of parties for my roller derby league, played great eclectic music and was always able to keep people dancing until the wee hours.

When it was time to make a song list, she sent us a 4 page list of bands/songs and asked us to highlight a sampling of the kinds of music we liked... and our choices were all over the place. We had reggae, Motown, Parliament, bluegrass/folk, The Rolling Stones, Price, T-Rex, RUN DMC, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Led Zeppelin, Loretta Lynn. Seriously. All over the place. I was waiting for a phone call from her telling me that we'd have to mainstream a bit if I wanted it to be coherent, but the opposite happened! She called to check in a few days before the wedding, and told me how excited she was to work with such a unique mix of music, and that it wasn't often that people veered this way. Phew.

And the night was STELLAR. She played all the random music we had picked and put it together FLAWLESSLY. I don't think anybody (young or old) left the dance floor, including my 90 year old grandmother! She was also very accommodating in setting up more than one set of speakers for the different locations on the farm.

Accommodating, super friendly, professional, very reasonably $, and she even got in the photo booth! :) I still have people asking me who the amazing DJ was and that it was the best wedding they'd ever been to.

Sent on 10/09/2013

Perfect in every way. She got right back to us and kept the dance floor packed all night! She also has an extensive knowledge of all types of music, including indie and nonmainstream genres. She is extremely professional as well. You would be lucky to have her.

Sent on 07/19/2013

Julie was an amazing DJ. I had originally booked her for our September wedding but had to move the date up 3 months at the last minute. She was totally understanding and also happened to be free for the new June date. Even though I never met Julie until the actual wedding, communication with her was seamless. She completely understood everyone's tastes in music - which was tricky considering the guests ranged from 1 - 90 years old and were a mix of Indian, Pakistani, and American. Her transitions from Bollywood music to popular dance music to the Beatles and Frank Sinatra were awesome. All the guests loved her. Julie was even super accommodating with my extremely last minute requests (as in a few hours before the wedding) when it came to introducing people, speakers, etc. For the cocktail hour, I sent Julie some youtube clips of what I was looking for and she quickly understood the vibe and downloaded even better songs than what I suggested. I definitely definitely definitely recommend her!

Sent on 06/11/2013

Joseph · Married on 06/08/2013

Working with DJ Shakey was a great experience. We were married in a private home, and the owner was understandably concerned about having quality vendors in her home and also late-night noise affecting the neighbors. DJ Shakey quickly took care of our owner's concerns and made the entire process so much easier.

My partner and I didn't want to map out the entire night of music, but with just a few suggestions, DJ Shakey turned out songs that were perfect.

Additionally, DJ Shakey worked well with all the other vendors, and rolled with the flow. In any event, details change, and not a single feather was ruffled. So great.

In closing, my partner and I wanted to work with someone that was talented, professional and level-headed. DJ Shakey is all of those things. I would recommend her for any occasion. She contributed to one awesome wedding.

Sent on 06/10/2013

Heidi · Married on 06/01/2013

A friend recommended Julie to us after attending a wedding that she DJed, which she said was an awesome all-night dance party - exactly what we were looking for. We met with her, and we definitely felt like she got what we were looking for. We've been to bad weddings with really cheesy DJs who are constantly talking to the crowd and out on the dance floor, and we wanted the opposite of that. Julie was super professional, made the few announcements that we asked her to make and just let the music flow. She did a great job switching between low-key dining music and the dance sets. We didn't give her much specific guidance - we named some artists and songs we wanted, but I basically told her that I wanted people to keep getting up and saying "I love this song!" and that's exactly what happened. She was responsive to my emails, including my last-minute ones. She also did special edits of our first dance/parent dance songs on my request, which was awesome. She had our must-play and must-not-play lists, and I know at least one of our guests tried to get her to play a must-not-play song and she held out for us. Everyone was out on the floor and didn't leave because the next song she would play would be just as great as the last. We even had several dance-offs! I definitely recommend her completely.

Sent on 06/30/2013

Andra · Married on 04/20/2013

This woman sets the bar for weddings! She gave us great tips and made sure there was music that everyone enjoyed. She looked well dressed and festive while making sure our guests had the time of their lives!

Sent on 04/25/2013

Stephanie · Married on 02/23/2013

We hired Julie for our two-hour afterparty and she killed it! Initially reviewing her music sheet, I was a little concerned that she may not know what kind of music we wanted, but she was super thorough and always diligently followed up...and the result was that she did not play one bad song and people were jumping/dancing the whole time!! She is great!

Sent on 03/10/2013

J. · Married on 11/10/2012

We first heard DJ Shakey when she DJed a friend's wedding, and we kept remarking on what an excellent job she did. When we sat down to plan our own wedding, we immediately knew we would like her to DJ. We are a same-sex couple, and got married in a City Hall ceremony with our wedding party following the next day, and DJ Shakey was totally flexible and open to the slightly non-traditional structure of our event. She was very responsive to our email inquiries and always easy and pleasant to talk to as we worked out the details. After sending her a list of artists and songs we liked, we touched base a few days before the wedding to finalize selections, and it was clear that she had thoughtfully reviewed our list in order to best understand our goals and tastes. She asked all the right questions (things we would never have even thought to bring up) and it was clear that she is super organized and experienced. Going into the wedding, it made us feel completely at ease.

At the actual wedding, the music was PERFECT. We arrived and DJ Shakey was all set up and organized, helping establish a great mood during our cocktail hour. The dinner music fit the tone perfectly, and she gladly facilitated things when we switched gears (like having guests seated for dinner, toasts, etc). It was very important to us to have a fun dance party following our dinner, and in this regard, she completely delivered. We'd talked a little bit about intergenerational dynamics, and she put together a playlist that got EVERYONE on the dance floor. As the night wore on and the older folks tired out, she seamlessly transitioned to continue the flow of the night.

DJ Shakey is amazing. She effortlessly responds to changing dynamics, and was integral in shaping the mood of our wedding. It was a pleasure having DJ Shakey DJ our wedding. She was super easy and professional to work with during the prep, and really helped make our party perfect.

Sent on 11/21/2012

Joe · Married on 10/21/2012

We hired DJ Shakey for our wedding in Brooklyn, NY and couldn't have been any happier. She created exactly the vibe we were looking for and kept our guests DANCING!!! She was relaxed, responsive and rolled with all the little curve balls we threw at her. We would highly recommend her anyone looking for a great DJ for their wedding.

Sent on 11/04/2012

Cheryl · Married on 10/06/2012

Julie was amazing. She edited a song so we could walk in as husband as wife to our FAVORITE part of the song. She smoothly incorporated our random list of "Must Play" songs and nailed the energy of the room- whether the chatting at dinner or tearing up our dance floor, the music was always perfectly appropriate. Julie was always as cool as a cucumber, took every request we had, and stayed on the schedule perfectly. She was the opposite of those other annoying DJ's who are constantly yelling into the mic. She used her amazing mixing skills to craft our perfect jazz/top 40 hits/80 faves reception. Overall, she rocked and all of our friends and family made a point to tell my husband and I how lucky we were to have found her!

Sent on 10/26/2012

Katlyn · Married on 09/08/2012

We could not have been happier with Dj Shakey's performance at our wedding. We really got so many compliments from everyone about how good the music was, and the fact that nobody left the dance floor the whole night was proof of that. Leading up to the big day, she made it very easy for us to collaborate with her on what artists we liked, and type of vibe we wanted for our wedding. Then, she executed it perfectly. If you are looking for a PARTY, and not just a wedding, look no further than Shakey!

Sent on 10/09/2012
  • Y

Yunna · Married on 08/18/2012

We were looking for a non-traditional wedding DJ and when we met with Julie, we knew that she would be exactly what we were looking for.

First of all, Julie is extremely professional, organized and responsive. I want to emphasize this because even when a wedding vendor may be talented, they are often missing these essential qualities, which are necessary when planning a wedding that requires so much coordination. I never had to wait for a response to a question or request for longer than a day. She knew exactly how the evening should function and had great suggestions about announcements, order of music genres, etc. Julie arrived at the venue early and there were absolutely no glitches in her execution of cocktail hour and reception music or her announcements throughout the night.

Secondly, we love to dance and it was important that our wedding always had a full dance floor. My family is Russian, and our guests included people from a few generations. It was great to see a wide selection of Russian songs she had in her collection! We provided Julie with a selection of songs we wanted to hear (from her very detailed music document) and let her choose the rest. Julie was successful in keeping everyone on the dance floor the entire time. She was also very respectful of the types of music we did not want to hear. The guests were having such a great time that they had to be told to sit down for their main course! As per our request, she included all types of genres (which she has an unlimited selection of) - everyone had an incredible time! Even friends who never dance were on the dance floor.

Overall, it was a pleasure to work with Julie. I would recommend her to everyone looking for a wedding full of energy, dancing and smiles!

Sent on 10/19/2012

Carolyn · Married on 06/09/2012

Julie DJ'd the after party of our wedding. She was awesome! The music was perfect. So many people told me that it was amazing. Any time anybody ever asks me about a DJ in the future, I am going to give them Julie's name. Thanks so much!!

Sent on 06/12/2012
  • Kyle

Kyle · Married on 06/03/2012

For a wedding that had a lot of stress leading up to it, DJ Shakey proved to be the one exception. Throughout the booking process and in the weeks leading up to the event, DJ Shakey was extremely professional and responsive in all of our dealings. When we had issues with the venue regarding spacing, DJ Shakey was more then willing to speak with them directly (on several occasions) in order to make our lives easier.

On the day of the event, the DJ's execution was seamless. She knew just the right mix of music to play in order to keep the party going from start to finish. After the party was over, we received many complements from our guests. Overall, we were extremely pleased with our selection of DJ Shakey for our wedding.

Sent on 06/05/2012
  • O

Olga · Married on 06/02/2012

Apparently, it is possible for someone to please every single person on the dance floor! Julie had spent time trying to understand what we would like for our wedding beforehand. She was very professional, sweet and accommodating in order to satisfy everyone from my traditional Greek dad to my rocker friends. Everyone was dancing the entire time!

Sent on 06/04/2012

Kenneth · Married on 05/26/2012

She was AWESOME! We are both into music and really love to dance. DJ Shakey has a great ability to gauge an audience and pick that next perfect song that everyone will shake their butt to. I can not remember dancing harder or having such a ridiculously good time on the dance floor. Thanks for making our night even more memorable!

Sent on 06/20/2012

Kristen · Married on 03/30/2012

We booked Julie early on and never regretted it! Her music list is so expansive and was so receptive every step of the way. She kept the party going the ENTIRE night - we could not have asked for a better DJ. Very reasonable rates and she does travel.

Sent on 04/17/2012

Shayne · Married on 02/19/2012

DJ Shakey was incredible - she played only music that fit our style, but managed to keep everyone dancing until the end of the party. We couldn't be happier with our choice and we HIGHLY recommend her.

Sent on 02/21/2012

Theresa · Married on 02/04/2012

I just hosted my daughter's bridal shower this weekend. She was adamant that she did not want a traditional bridal shower ..rather a bridal shower/dance party. The emphasis was on DANCE PARTY..... and that was exactly what DJ Shakey gave us!
    From the 1st conversation I had with Julie until the last song was played.. my experience was nothing short of extraordinary.
    Julie spent a great deal of time speaking to us about our music preferences.. She was so professional ,reassuring, and low key. When the day of the shower arrived I knew it was going to be a party to remember ..and it was, thanks to Julie.
    Her understated confidence and her ability to "read the room" without drawing attention to herself made our experience amazing!
    I can't wait to have another party .. and Ill make sure Shakey is the 1st person I call!

Sent on 02/08/2012

Ben · Married on 10/22/2011

While I was interested in the food being good and place looking nice, my number one priority on wedding day was the music. I met with Shakey well before the wedding and we immediately hit it off, talking about everything from Lady Gaga to Swedish death metal shows. I was feeling good but have to admit that, as the wedding crept up, I got a little nervous. Could she ever pull off what I had pictured in my head?

Well, for anyone questioning whether he/she should go with Shakey, don't. I gave her an extensive list of songs to be played during cocktail hour and dinner and then asked for an epic dance party, with no interruptions, for the last 2.5 hours of the wedding. Not only did she do all of that, but the dancing blew my mind. High school friends who would never dare step out on a dance floor we're swinging their ties in the air. The floor was shaking. The variety was awesome.

At one point I thought maybe I should have Shakey slow it down for the older crowd. As I started to walk over to her to ask for some slow jams, I stopped in my tracks when I saw a dance floor of people 60+ acting like it was a rave. She got on a roll and couldn't be stopped.

Maybe best of all, she managed to fold in Metallica, my favorite band, without sending anyone for a loop. She threw it on at the perfect time and even my mother-in-law (not quite a metal head) was bobbing.

In the end, I felt like my wife and I had the best wedding ever, and I can't begin to explain how much of that is due to Shakey. Now I just need to figure out how to have some other huge event in my life when I need a DJ.

Sent on 11/09/2011

Harlem · Married on 09/25/2011

WHAT EXTRAORDINARY TALENT!!! My partner and I came from vastly different backgrounds, he is Irsih/Czech and I am Caribbean of East Indian decent. We were looking for a DJ who would understand and appreciate our ecclectic taste as well as the diverse sociodemographic, ethnic, racial and cultural make of our guests. DJ Shakey exceeded our expectations! When we met with her initially, she already had an incredible collection of songs from various selections, types, decades, and countries. She was sensitive to our audience and keen to their behavior throughout the wedding exoperience. She was the glue that piece the event together to make it a magical experience, playing tunes from big bands to calypso to rap to house music to Indian music and even the unforgetable polka dancing. Her love for what she does and her ability to move with the beat of the audience was unparallel. SHE WAS AN INCREDIBLE SUCCESS!

Sent on 11/04/2011