DJ Derek Tobler Reviews

135 | Charlottesville, VA

135 Reviews for DJ Derek Tobler

Megan · Married on 11/12/2011

DJ Derek is awesome! He was such a classy addition to our wedding. Beyond his music abilities he also made the reception go smoothly with his direction. My husband and I did a mashup of songs for our first dance and he made it for us and sent it to us for us to practice before the wedding. He respected our do not play list and was great at picking when to play what music through out the night. That was beneficial for the older guests as well.

Couldn't asked for a better DJ!

Sent on 12/06/2011

Annie · Married on 11/05/2011

When my husband and I were looking for wedding reception music, one name kept being recommended: Derek Tobler. And now we'll be two more people singing Derek's praises. Derek does more than just play music. He has a fantastic sense of what will get people dancing. We spoke with Derek a few weeks before the wedding so he could get a sense of the schedule of the reception and our musical taste. We gave him about ten songs we'd like played, and he expanded from there to create the perfect musical accompaniment to our whole evening. From great Motown classics (perfect for getting the family up) to hip indie songs (which kept our friends on the dance floor) to beautiful slow songs , it was the ideal combination for dancing. He also played lovely music throughout dinner, and it was never too loud to inhibit conversation.

Derek was initially described to us as "the gentleman DJ" and I think that name is extremely fitting. He MCed the event without trying to steal the show. Everything moved perfectly with his direction, but he kept the reception elegant.

I've had so many people tell me they had never danced so much at a wedding, and I credit that to Derek. He's a fantastic DJ and will certainly create the perfect musical vibe for your wedding.

Sent on 12/17/2011

Lauren · Married on 10/29/2011

Wonderful service!

I literally did not sit down all night from the first dance to the last dance. Derek kept the dance floor packed with the "greatest playlist ever" as described by numerous guests. He stepped in and took over our ceremony music at the last minute when cold weather kept the string quartet from coming. He helped the whole day run perfectly smooth from beginning to end and I seriously can not thank him enough for making my wedding day absolutely perfect.

Packed dance floor. I didn't even get to eat cake I was so busy dancing (and that's literally my biggest regret...)

Three thumbs up! Fantastic!

Sent on 11/03/2011
  • Sonya

Sonya · Married on 10/15/2011

We hired Derek to be our wedding DJ after a friend recommended him and I'm so glad we did. During the wedding planning process Derek was very easy to work with, we never had a chance to meet in person before the wedding, but we had many phone calls to work through the evening's timeline. I was very comfortable with Derek right from the start. During the reception he did a fantastic job of reading the crowd and keeping the dance floor full. He was also very flexible and took a lot of requests from the crowd.

Sent on 11/08/2011

Nikki · Married on 09/10/2011

Derek was awesome! He kept the dancefloor full and really contributed to the flow of the wedding. I couldn't have been happier with Derek and his choice of music, especially because I had a hard time picking what music I wanted :)

Sent on 10/04/2011
  • Brianne

Brianne · Married on 09/03/2011

Derek is the man when it comes to being a wedding DJ. He did our ceremony music as well as the reception. He kept the flow of the wedding going perfect! My guests danced non-stop! He was so professional and he did everything we asked of him and more! He brought so much of us into the wedding with the music! We had such a wide variety of music to fit into 4 hours and he did it!!!! He was able to come up with an amazing playlist that covered all aspects of who Tyler and I are!! He is an AMAZING DJ!!!!!!

Sent on 10/06/2011
  • U

Elizabeth · Married on 08/05/2011

Derek is AMAZING!!! We originally contracted with him for reception music and dance floor lighting for our wedding, about a year before our wedding date. Apparently he books quickly, so you may have to get in touch with him well before your date... but that wasn't an issue for us. We'd been hoping to have a string trio or quartet for our ceremony and cocktail hour music, so hadn't contracted with him for those services. But, he explained to us at the time of contracting that he only books one event per day, so if we needed additional services, we just needed to let him know and he would be happy to work with us.

As it turned out, we weren't able to get a quality trio/quartet within our budget, so we went back to Derek about 6 months before the wedding, and he was more than happy to accommodate our request for ceremony and cocktail hour music as well. He brought two setups on our wedding day, so he was able to set up in both rooms, and then at some point took down his setup in the ceremony room. He also gave us a great dance lesson about a week before the wedding, so my husband and I were able to have an amazing first dance (except I forgot to bustle my dress up beforehand... oops!!).

Most importantly, he provided us with a suggested list of over 200 songs, and had us pick any we definitely did - or didn't - want, and add any others to those lists. Then, he met with us during the week before our wedding, discussed all the music for the ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception, figuring out what we did and didn't like, and working with us to craft the perfect wedding mix. He also provided sample schedules/timelines for the evening, which we were able to adjust to suit our needs.

On our wedding night, we received SO MANY compliments about the music, the flow of the ceremony and reception, the classy-looking setup, and just his overall DJ services - we couldn't have been happier!!! The music was exactly what we wanted, with all of our favorites, and a few selections that we hadn't thought to write down, but somehow he knew we'd love. Even though we'd created a "schedule," we quickly got off schedule due to a late start and Derek adjusted perfectly so nothing felt rushed, strained, or in any way uncomfortable. And, during the aftermath of the bouquet/garter toss, he was quick to step in at my husband's request with a song that I'd put on the "do not play" list, but which was perfect for a few seconds and really made for a memorable and hilarious moment. Finally, he has a really great voice for announcements, and was good at gently herding people throughout the evening.

Overall, I really can't say enough about how great he was with being flexible, having enough music, and having just the right music for each moment of the evening. He was incredibly responsive from Day 1, and worked with us to craft the perfect atmosphere and plan for the evening. He was the best, and ensured that our wedding went off without a hitch!!!

Sent on 08/28/2011

Adrienne · Married on 07/01/2011

Derek was the perfect DJ for our wedding. He had helpful suggestions and made sure the night ran smoothly when we were running low on time. We only wished we had more time to dance and enjoy the music choices!

Sent on 07/20/2011

Katie · Married on 06/11/2011

I can't say enough good things about Derek - he was absolutely perfect as a DJ for our wedding reception. He was helpful throughout the planning process (editing our first dance songs, helping us think through the flow of our reception), and terrific during the event... he has a great ear and eye for the dance floor, is professional and not at all cheesy, and our guests were out enjoying themselves until the very end of the evening. Booking Derek was one of the best decisions we made for our event!

Sent on 06/23/2011

Elizabeth · Married on 05/30/2011

After trying for months to decide between a DJ and a band, we finally chose a DJ because of the acoustics in our venue. We were not disappointed at all because Derek did a wonderful job. He caters to the audience, plays great (soft) music during dinner and is not one of those DJs who is constantly talking, to make you feel like you're at a jr. high dance. Also, he provided amplification for our outdoor ceremony, which was practically invisible (I still am not sure where the speaker was) and did not interfere with any pictures.

Sent on 06/23/2011

Jason · Married on 05/28/2011

As I'm sure you can tell by the rest of these reviews, Derek is the DJ that you want for your wedding. He was extremely easy to work with and he is VERY good at what he does. He was also very professional and on top of things.

In addition to being our DJ, he also helped my wife and I prepare for our first dance with a dancing lesson, which was GREAT, because I'm terrible at dancing. He then took the time to custom-mix the wedding party introduction song for our reception, and it was absolutely perfect for what we wanted to do.

Derek, thank you!

Sent on 05/11/2012

Alex · Married on 03/12/2011

Derek is another vendor who should have a 6th star. We have heard THE BEST COMMENTS about the music Derek played. He set such a great mood, mixed in the perfect songs, and just set such an amazing tone for the whole night. Derek played the best music mix I have ever heard at a wedding. One of our friends already asked or the mix and tracks so she can play the exact same stuff at her wedding. The reception was flawless and the music was good too. People even commented about the music played during the dinner and how appropriate it was, I have never heard that. I recommend Derek to everyone considering a DJ, and to those considering again think DJ Tobler first

Sent on 04/04/2011

Elizabeth · Married on 11/27/2010

Derek really helped make our wedding reception fabulous. We took dance lessons from him for our first dance which really kicked off the evening well. He gave a few quick lessons to our guests to make sure they all knew how to do certain dances (Electric Slide, Cupid Shuffle). He was very charismatic and our guests were very complimentary of how he moved the evening and events along. Derek also did our ceremony music at UVA Chapel. Again he did not dissapoint. Music volume was perfect and he worked with us to come up with the best versions of the songs we liked for the different key parts of the ceremony. What we most enjoyed about Derek was how much he wanted to get to know us and our style as a couple so he could fit and mold our evening to best fit us. Hiring Derek was money well spent and we will recommend him to anyone who asks.

Sent on 12/14/2010
  • I

Irina · Married on 11/20/2010

DJ Tobler made our wedding SO fun! Since we had a longer happy hour, he started things off with a fun merengue lesson for our guests. They got soooo into it and couldn't stop dancing for the remainder of the night. DJ Tobler is also a dance instructor--so the moves our guests learned that night were awesome. We did not give DJ Tobler an extensive list of songs to play or not play, but trusted him to carry out wedding vision after we talked about it. He did a fantastic job! He picked songs that kept the crowd going until the last minute of the night. Also, he did a great job at announcing all the speakers (pronounced all names perfectly). Tobler has a great presence in the room and has a really extensive music library. Definitely go with him if you are getting married in the Charlottesville area!

Sent on 12/14/2010

Toby · Married on 10/03/2010

Derek did an amazing job at our wedding! I cannot say enough about his professionalism and overall skills. He was easy to work with and respected our choices for music/announcements at our wedding. We would highly recommend him!!

Sent on 05/21/2011

Candice · Married on 09/04/2010

Derek Tobler is wonderful, he is very professional & did a great job as our D. J. at my daughter's Labor Day wedding at King Family Vineyards. I highly recommend him, if he is availbale on your wedding date, book him!

Sent on 09/18/2010

April · Married on 07/17/2010

Derek was a wonderful DJ! From the start, Derek was very professional and responsive. He gave us a dance lesson before our wedding, which was a lot of fun! On the day of the wedding, Derek was totally on top of things. He arrived early and set up not only music for the reception, but also a microphone for the officiant and a slideshow. During the reception, he did a great job anticipating the crowd and playing music that people wanted to hear. Everyone had a great time dancing. We can't say enough great things about Derek - he's a wonderful DJ!

Sent on 08/03/2010

Melanie · Married on 07/04/2010

Derek was AWESOME!!!! He was able to meet with us to discuss what he offers before we made a deposit, as well as providing us a dance lesson and meeting to make sure our playlist was just right!! He is very flexible, laid back and ensures that you will not have to worry about a thing. He is very professional and most importantly can pull just about any song onsite at the reception from his computer. Our guests danced until the last song and we received many requests for our reception playlist! No issues, no worries, just great music for your wedding!

Sent on 12/08/2010

Kelly · Married on 05/30/2010

Derek is quite simply the best. We chose him as our DJ for the reception and also took dance lessons with him (he choreographed our first dance and my first dance with my father). He is an easy person to work with and takes a lot of time to get to know each couple and their music style. He played some of my husband's favorite indie bands during dinner as background music (we had so many guests who were very pleased by this) and helped us hunt down the perfect version of "You Are My Sunshine" for the father daughter dance. He is a fun person to know, a great person to work with, and a wonderful dancer. We did not have a wedding coordinator so he meticulously walked us through the process of deciding when to cut the cake, when to do toasts, etc. and to set up a timeline for the reception. This isn't something that was one of his responsibilities, but it was incredibly helpful and much appreciated. From what I have heard, Derek is known for going above and beyond to make sure everything runs smoothly at the weddings he DJs.
    All of our guests gave rave reviews to his song selections for the reception. I have never seen that many people dancing at a wedding and everyone had a blast. Every time I considered taking a break from dancing another another song would come on and I would think to myself "well I can't NOT dance to this." He did a great job of reading the crowd and really took the time to get to know our style as a couple. One of our other vendors referred to our reception as one of the best dance parties she's ever been to.
    All in all, he is very easy to work with, very straightforward and such a blast. We HIGHLY recommend Derek as your DJ and if you're up for it, you're dance coach!

Sent on 06/16/2010

Judy · Married on 04/24/2010

Derek was our DJ for our vineyard wedding in Charlottesville and did a fantastic job. Since we were planning an out-of-town wedding, we were only able to meet with him one time before our wedding but he immediately made us feel at ease. He also provided us with an extensive “Do Not Play” list that we could choose from which helped a lot since there were definitely specific songs that I didn’t want played at the wedding. Toward the end of the planning process, we provided him with a handful of songs and told him that was the “type” of songs we were going for and he knew exactly what we were looking for. Everyone at the wedding had a great time and he had the guests up and dancing the entire night. Highly recommended and thanks again Derek!

Sent on 06/02/2010

Alissa · Married on 10/17/2009

Professional, prompt, followed exactly what we planned....Perfect! Derek was an awesome addition to our ceremony and reception. He played the music we requested and did a wonderful job feeling out the emotions in the crowd later in the night and he played fun dance music to keep people moving. :) We took dance lessons from Derek, too. Good ballroom dance teacher for our first dance!

Sent on 10/15/2010
  • elimara

Elisa · Married on 09/20/2009

Derek was great! he's also a dance instructor, so he even worked in a lesson before the wedding! we came in from out of town, and he worked around our schedule. He had great suggestions on music selections and was able to get some hard to find family favorites. he was very professional and made the atmosphere very classy when we wanted, then got everyone to dance and get a little silly when we wanted. He was able to be very flexible as our ceremony ran late, and the crowd had a mind of its own. all of his equipment is great, the quality of the music was perfect, not so loud to hurt people's ears, but loud enough even the grandparents could hear the toasts. I would absolutely recommend him especially for an outdoor wedding where things could have gone wrong and he made them perfect.

Sent on 09/27/2009

Grace · Married on 09/19/2009

Matt Steffanina is Derek's apprentice, and we had Matt DJ at our wedding. He was awesome. We told him exactly what we liked and disliked, and Matt executed everything perfectly. The sound level was perfect, Matt's announcements were perfect, and the music kept everyone going all night. Would totally recommend Matt!!

Sent on 10/14/2009

Ashleigh · Married on 08/29/2009

Derek was great to work with. We met with him once in Charlottesville and hired him on the spot. Later on, closer to the wedding, we had a call with him to discuss details. And then he took it from there! He provided mics and speakers for our outdoor ceremony, let me choose our dinner music and then did his thing for dancing and party time! We wanted to hear zero cheesy wedding songs (YMCA, Brickhouse, We are Family, etc) and he did a great mix of fun oldies, Top 40, and mid-90s for us (we wanted it to feel a little like a 7th grade dance, but amped up). Everyone had a great time and loved the music! Derek is professional and was a pleasure to work with. Zero worries when it came to our awesome DJ!

Sent on 09/17/2009

Michael · Married on 07/31/2009

Derek was the best DJ we could have asked for. EVERYONE at the wedding reception was dancing at one point, and the dance floor was never empty. He kept the reception moving at the perfect pace and was an effective but unobtrusive emcee for the event. We left most of the music selection up to him, and he did not disappoint! It was the perfect mix of all our favorite party music. Derek also is a professional ballroom dance instructor, and taught us our first dance. He made it so easy and fun to learn! We would highly recommend Derek to anyone needing DJ services or dance lessons!

Sent on 08/09/2009