DJ Derek Tobler Reviews

135 | Charlottesville, VA

135 Reviews for DJ Derek Tobler

Lorrie · Married on 11/23/2013

Derek is the most professional DJ out there. His knowledge of different music eras is astonishing. This wedding had a vintage theme with a 1920-30s feel. Derek captured that era. When it was time to fill the dance floor he played modern/popular music that no one could sit still to. The vintage pieces along with the fun popular dance music was wonderful. It flowed beautifully. We received many compliments on the music alone. The venue we used, The Jefferson Theater, will only allow a couple of DJs to use their sound board and one is Derek. Quite an endorsement of his professionalism.

If you are looking for a DJ that will not take over your event, one that will get everyone up to dance, Derek is your man!

Sent on 11/28/2013

Gary E. · Married on 11/10/2013

Derek was wonderful -- we created some "suggestion" playlists to give him the idea of the vibe we wanted both for cocktails/dinner and dancing, and he took those and made them come to life. It was beyond perfect. He was also amazing about taking many, many requests, and his MC-ing was charming, non-invasive, and so fun and kind. We absolutely cannot recommend him highly enough.

Sent on 11/21/2013

From the MOB: Derek was outstanding on all fronts, from planning, dance lessons (oh, yes!!), precise timing, and through a beautiful, dreams-come-true evening. I don't believe we could have found a better person for the evening. Thank you, Derek!

Sent on 09/26/2013

Kelly · Married on 09/22/2013

Derek was the perfect addition to our wedding! From the moment we met with him, we knew he'd be our DJ. He was so personable, got to know us and our styles of music. We spoke with him on the phone prior to our wedding and went over song choices and was so extremely organized (which we loved, since we are too!!). We gave him Spotify lists of what he could played, but asked him to play his own music mixed in with ours, and it was such an awesome idea! All the songs flowed so well, and he kept everyone on the dance floor the entire night. We had an age range from early 20s - early 60s, yet everyone loved the music! And even got on the dance floor at one point to teach us the wobble, which was freaking awesome :) we HIGHLY recommend Derek for your wedding! He's the BEST.

Sent on 10/13/2013

Edward · Married on 09/14/2013

The three musts for our wedding were good food, good drinks, and awesome music. Having been to a ton of parties with average DJ's, we knew we were going to be picky about who we chose. Thankfully we came across Derek. He was very informative throughout our two meetings with him, and was very helpful in choosing music once he knew what themes / style we were aiming for. On the day of the event, he provided the PA system for the ceremony in addition to DJ'ing the reception. Once we got beyond the formalities (Dinner, Cake, Introductions, etc.) everyone stayed on the dance floor the entire night. I don't think I have ever been to an event where there was not one "missed" song, where everyone leaves the floor all at once. I would highly recommend Derek for anyone looking for a fun, energetic party.

Sent on 12/02/2013

Maggie · Married on 09/01/2013

DJ Derek Tobler was amazing. As soon as we spoke with him on the phone for the consultation, we could tell he would be a great addition to our wedding day. We were not disappointed. He spoke with us to find out what types of music we liked, and he helped us find great music for before the ceremony started, the processional, recessional, cocktail hour and dinner. He let us pick all of the songs for reception (we have a lot of favorites!). He took the songs we chose and created an amazing playlist that kept our guests -- who varied widely in age -- on the dance floor all night. We got tons of compliments on the music! He also helped to make sure that the evening flowed according to schedule. All in all, Derek was awesome and we would highly recommend him to anyone.

Sent on 09/12/2013

Holly · Married on 07/05/2013

Derek is AWESOME! He meets with you before the wedding to get a vibe of you as a couple and helps you get a great flow for your reception. He was super flexible since we were planning our wedding from a few hours away and he kept our guests on the dance floor all night!

Sent on 12/27/2013

Derek was fantastic to work with! He provided the ceremony, cocktail hour, and rehearsal music. He spent a great deal of time talking to us about what we wanted and helped us create a timeline for the day that fit in everything we asked for. He was a blast, I am sure that our reception would not have been as fun and amazing if it weren't for him! Our guests are still telling us it was one of the funnest receptions they had ever been to. Derek also gave my husband and I, my father and I, and my husband and his mother dance lessons prior to the wedding. Our first dance was incredible, and we are so glad we had him to help us! Every bride needs Derek in her life!

Sent on 06/20/2013

Christina · Married on 06/07/2013

Derek made our big day absolutely incredible! During our first meeting he really took in everything I had to say about both mine and my fiance's music taste and what we wanted the vibe of our wedding to be like. At the last minute we decided to have Derek DJ not only our reception but also ceremony. He had no problem taking over the added responsibility and did an amazing job. Our music all night were songs we loved and he kept everything running smoothly with his announcements. He had both the young and the old out on the dance floor the ENTIRE night and that is not an easy feat. :). I had numerous friends coming up to me after the wedding asking for our wedding playlist. On top of everything, he is just a very nice guy who is so easy to get along with. I very highly recommend Derek to make your day fantastic.

Sent on 07/01/2013

Derek is by far the best choice for Dj's in Charlottesville! He went above and beyond with making my vision come true. I had basically a whole soundtrack and gave him a song by song playlist to go off of. He did exactly what I wanted as I am very picky about music and requests. He even came looking for me when someone requested a song he thought I might not approve of. Of course I said ok because I couldn't break the hearts of the dancers on the dance floor... It was just the fact that he made sure to ask me ahead of time. Now that's a good DJ! I was so happy with him and love his personality too! You definitely will not go wrong if you choose him as your DJ! Thank you Derek!!!

Sent on 05/15/2013

Sasha · Married on 05/04/2013

Derek was amazing! He provided the perfect mix of music that had everybody dancing and enjoying themselves all night long. We were really impressed with how easily he matched our music tastes and style, accommodating for some eclectic choices while adding his own that helped keep the great energy of the evening going. My grandparents even said they loved his music (volume and all!) Really friendly and willing to work with us on anything we needed. Derek made sure our wedding reception was just perfect!

Sent on 05/09/2013

To sum up Derek in one word it would be amazing! My husband and I used Derek for our entire wedding from the ceremony to reception. His music selection is impressive and he just seems to know when to play the right song for that perfect moment. He was incredibly professional and set the mood for each section of our wedding flawlessly. His easy going personality can put any bride at ease. Not only did he help us with our timeline, but he took the time to coordinate with the venue ensuring that everything ran smoothly. We also took dance lessons with him, which was a complete blast! Thanks to him, my husband with two left feet spun me around the dance floor creating one of the best moments of my life. I am incredibly grateful that we found him and will definitely use him for any events to come. Thank you so much Derek for making our day incredible!
    -Ariana & Mike

Sent on 06/27/2013

My husband and I are so grateful to Derek Tobler for doing such an amazing job at our wedding. Leading up to the wedding, he had been extremely professional and fun to work with. Even so, the dance party he threw for our guests just blew me away. His music choices were outstanding and his timing was impeccable. We would recommend him to anyone and everyone!

Sent on 04/24/2013

Joy A. · Married on 03/30/2013

Derek was so amazing; from our first meeting until our wedding day, he was so professional and personable! It was truly a pleasure working with him! He gave us dance lessons for our first dance, it was a blast! Our first dance was so special and memorable! We honestly can't say enough good things about him! Our guests raved about how awesome our DJ was! We couldn't agree more!

Sent on 05/08/2013
  • Shay

Shay · Married on 12/21/2012

AWESOME! My husband & I were incredibly pleased with DJ Tobler. There were always people on the dance floor & we had a great time. Having a professional DJ who knows how to work a wedding is a definite bonus. We provided him with our music choices & our guest's requests and he was able to weave our choices into the night in addition to mixing it all up.

He also did the music for our ceremony & his timing was flawless. We could not have asked for a better experience.

Sent on 01/19/2013

Angela · Married on 11/10/2012

I interviewed several DJs before deciding to hire Derek; he was by far the most polished, professional, prepared of all of the ones I met. He even came to our first meeting prepared with a binder to give us with suggested songs, forms to fill out, etc. He was very organized.

We were also impressed that he had a specific strategy to get folks up and dancing during the wedding; we were shocked at our wedding about how many people were dancing! It was pretty awesome!

He always responded promptly to my emails.

When I forgot some of the songs I had wanted to play at the wedding (ones I mentioned to him during his initial interview), he later reminded me of them.

On the day of the wedding, he was prepared, calm, professional, polished--just perfect. I have absolutely no complaints about his services and would recommend him highly to anyone looking for a wedding DJ.

And really by DJ, I mean a sort of host, someone to do introductions, someone to keep the party rolling along, make announcemnets, read the crowd and choose songs appropriately, etc.

Afterwards, he even sent (upon my request) a CD with all of the "main" songs we had selected to play at our wedding reception; this was a nice touch.

Highly recommended!

Sent on 12/04/2012

Jen · Married on 11/04/2012

Derek was highly recommend by so many of our vendors and other brides that I spoke with and I now understand why. We were going to try to DIY route with an iPod and a speaker... I cannot tell you how glad I am that we did not do so. You need professionals around that you can trust and who will take care of all the details! Derek and the rest of our vendors did just that for us.

We had Derek mic our officiant during the ceremony, which was a great investment. Our guests were so happy with the ceremony and were able to hear everything that was said. Derek also provided all the music for the cocktail hour and reception. He did a great job creating the atmosphere we wanted just from talking with us in the weeks before the wedding. Our guests were out on the dance floor the entire night. He worked easily with our photographer, officiant and caterer to make the day go off perfectly. He even helped us with timeline, introductions and ceremony processional. We could not be happier that Derek was part of our day. We owe him many thanks!

Sent on 12/12/2012

Sara · Married on 11/03/2012

Derek had a lot of hype to live up to, as we'd only read rave reviews of his work. My husband and I (not to mention our parents and other guests) were not disappointed. Derek accommodated our need to speak with him over the phone initially, since we're not local to Charlottesville, and he then managed his schedule to accommodate an in person consultation the day before the wedding. He expertly edited our first dance and father-daughter dance songs, and he stuck with our preferences for quiet dinner music followed by dancing that all ages could enjoy. The dance floor was packed throughout the evening, and everyone seemed to really love the party.

Sent on 11/26/2012

Sara · Married on 10/19/2012

Derek was wonderful to work with, from start to finish. During the planning process he was able to meet with us at off hours, which was a life saver for two folks with very busy schedules. In addition, he was very focused on making sure he understood exactly what we envisioned for our reception. We're a bit out of the box, but Derek was game for anything we brainstormed. He proactively suggested several tweaks to our timeline that proved to be perfect. Lastly, we had several last minute requests, and his prompt follow up saved us from extra stress (there's plenty already) leading up to the big day.

During the wedding itself Derek was a life saver. He helped us stay organized and stick to our timeline, no easy task when you are being pulled in a thousand directions all night. Most importantly, he kept the pace of the reception upbeat and energetic, something we worried about throughout the planning process.

Our wedding was a blast, and we've received many compliments on the reception and Derek.

Sent on 11/21/2012

Renee · Married on 10/13/2012

Derek Tobler came highly recommended from several people as we began our wedding planning process and it quickly became apparent why! Not only is he friendly, relatable, and professional, but he is supremely competent and great with reading the mood of the group of guests! He was extremely punctual in responding to emails with various questions and requests we had, and even helped us to get organized with some of the order of events for the reception during our first meeting with him. To top it off, he was willing to edit a few songs for us to shorten the length of the father/daughter and mother/son dance songs, and even helped resolve a dilemma between my then-fiancé and I over what song we would use for our first dance by creating an original mash-up for us! If you're getting married in the central Virginia area, there's no better option for a DJ!

Sent on 10/16/2012
  • Megan

Megan · Married on 09/08/2012

Choosing Derek to be the DJ for our wedding was simply the best decision! He had every single guest up and dancing and having a phenomenal time. He was so thoughtful and he REALLY helped us out with our ceremony music and he just made the entire night a TON of fun. I had so many friends and family asking for the playlist after our wedding and he was SO unbelievably nice and sent me CD's containing the entire playlist from our reception. I didn't even give him a playlist! I gave him a general idea of what we were looking for and he simply did the rest! Derek is the best DJ out there!!

Sent on 12/06/2012

Mirentxu · Married on 08/31/2012

Groom writing the review... I was a skeptic of spending so much money on what I thought an Ipod with a Bose system could easily deliver. Derek is a true professional. Met with us prior to get a feel for what type of music we wanted and more importantly... the music we didn't. He also did the A/V for the ceremony, which went flawlessly in a challenging outside setting. Where normally the party kind of losses steam at the end, it only got stronger with Derek and the last set of songs had the floor filled. I was very impressed with his equipment the kept the sound on the floor and allowed the older guests to keep on conversing at their tables rather than find a quieter location. The Latin members of the family were quite happy with the Latin dance music he selected.

Sent on 09/10/2012

Jade · Married on 06/18/2012

Derek Tobler was awesome and a great choice for our daughter and son-in-laws wedding. He played a large variety of music and accommodated all our needs for the ceremony and reception. Very professional. Kept in touch with us and helped us with suggestions when we were too tired to think anymore. Well versed in all styles of music and in the artists. We were blessed to have him as party of our wedding team. Thank you Derek so very much!

Sent on 06/20/2012

Coco · Married on 06/09/2012

Derek was AMAZING to work with. After reading reviews and even calling references I knew Derek was the perfect choice...and he was! We coordinated the event over email and phone conversations. He was professional and fun to work with. He did our ceremony music as well as play music during cocktail hour and the reception. He understands how to read a crowd and what music to play to keep them out there dancing! Everyone commented on how great the music was.

Sent on 07/17/2012

Virginia · Married on 04/28/2012

Derek was a pleasure to work with. He provided audio for the ceremony and acted as MC and provided music for the reception. We chose to work with him after speaking with him by phone and reading the many positive reviews. It wasn’t until approximately two months before the event that we met with him in person. We provided him a short “play” and “do not play” list, but trusted that he would gauge the mood of the crowd in making selections – we were not at all disappointed. Overall, we were extremely happy with our choice.
    Pros: 1) helped to create an event timeline and provided great suggestions (obviously very knowledgeable), 2) was extremely responsive and easily reached via phone/email for questions, 3) chose appropriate music during the dinner and kept the guests on the dance floor later, and 4) was an energetic and tasteful MC to suit the occasion.
    Cons: None.

Sent on 05/18/2012