Designs by Hemingway Reviews

Honolulu, HI
Rating 4.6 out of 5, 11 Reviews
View more information

Rebeca Married on 08/10/2016
    I don't even know where to start with this amazing wedding florist!! Debbie Hemingway is by far the most passionate and dedicated person when it comes to her work!

I was lucky enough to find Debbie on weddingwire and once I read a few of her reviews I knew right away she would do an outstanding job. She was very easy to talk to and was always on point when coming up with ideas for our wedding. From the time we spoke on the phone to meeting with her I knew I had nothing to worry about in making our day beautiful!!

The best part I found about Debbie is that she takes the stress away from picking out flowers and setting up arrangements for your special day. She took care of a lot more than the average florist would do and was always confident in her work (which she should be!) This was awesome, as it helped me get the whole look together! On the day of the wedding, after she set up all of the arrangements she was there til the very second I walked down the aisle.I loved this part about her as you could tell she truly cared about making everything come together even up to the last second!
    I would highly recommend Debbie to anyone looking for a florist for any event as she is so professional and phenomenal at her job! This is definitely the kind of work she should be doing as she is amazing to work with!

Thank you Debbie for making our day so beautiful and for all the hard work you did to make it come together!! We were truly lucky to get to work with you- Rebeca
  • User2612211 2+ years ago
    Debbie designed the flowers for my wedding and was phenomenal! I am a very picky person when it comes to flowers- and she exceeded my expectations! She was a delight to correspond with and I added a great deal of flowers less than a week before the wedding date and she was totally fine and handled the extra work so smoothly!
    Highly recommend her for any special occasion.
  • User1074735 2+ years ago
    Debbie created simply beautiful unique centerpeices for our guest tables and our head table! She utilized hot pink roses with white hydreangas!! Ironically I wanted hydreangas in our centerpeices but wasn't sure if they were in season so I didn't mention it to Debbie when telling her what I wanted! When I walked into our reception I was shocked and elated that those were the accent flowers she used! Debbie also created our bouquets, and bottoniere!!! Those came out amazing as well!!! She was fun and very easy to work with!!! Her creativity was amazing!!!
  • Rose and John
    Rose A. Married on 05/27/2010
    Debbie Hemingway was absolutely FABULOUS! In addition to gorgeous leis and bouquets, she also designed beautiful centerpieces, table linens, runners, chandeliers, lounge furniture and a stunning ceremony tree to match my tiffany blue color theme. I was a bit intimidated as she had been featured in numerous magazines and held in high regard by various wedding vendors, yet was incredibly pleased to find her so sweet and down-to-earth and just a true expert in her profession. She provides you with so much more than flowers and event design. She gives you better suggestions than any wedding planner and a sense of reassurance every destination bride hopes for. We had a little mishap with the dance floor set up by another vendor, and Debbie skillfully designed around it. I found out later that her 2 assistants could not make the event and she was left to set up everything by herself! You would never have known she was alone. I received countless compliments on how beautiful everything was and I owe it all to Debbie's unique creativity and spectacular designs. Her priceless work is second to none!!!
    Abbey Married on 04/07/2012
    She made planning a destination wedding so much easier. We communicated via email which suits my busy life. And on the day of the wedding everything (all the set up from chairs, tables, linens and flowers) are perfect!!
    Genie Married on 11/20/2010
    Debbie Hemingway and her team is fantastic. She did flowers for our wedding rehearsal and flowers/decor for our wedding. She also designed feather hair pieces for my mother and me and did our day of coordination.

I came to Debbie with a simple design of what I wanted and she truly made my design better than I had envisioned. She was easy to work with via email and accomodating with any changes I needed to make.

The day of our wedding, she made sure everything went smoothly and it was great having the same team in charge of everything. It was seamless and I didn't have to worry about anything.

Debbie is probably one of the more expensive designers in Hawaii, but she is definately of a different caliber than her competition. Her designs are comparable to wedding decor done by top designers in the business that one sees in magazines or on television. She is worth it! No matter what, she is willing to work the budget you give her.

I would recommend Debbie to any Hawaii bride looking for a truly beautiful wedding design concept...she will pull it off.
    Nana Married on 05/17/2008
    The flowers we ordered from Debbie were beautiful and exactly what we wanted. Everything looked perfect with our colors. She was especially responsive by e-mail, which was a big plus for planning a destination wedding. We had a bit of sticker shock initially, but were able to trim down our requirements to fit the budget and still have beautiful florals.
    Chantel Married on 02/07/2009
    Debbie created absolutely stunning centerpieces for our cocktail and reception tables. She did a wonderful job on our ceremony flowers. She put crystals everywhere in our ceremony. She surpassed my expectations for the decorations. One of our guests actually told us that she wants her ceremony decorated exactly like mine for her wedding. I couldn't be more happy with Debbie's work. The only thing that I was disappointed with was the 2 trees she decorated for the entryway but other than that everything was beautiful.
    Stephanie Married on 04/19/2012
    Debbie Hemingway is a super creative woman with a flair for creating amazing spaces and floral designs. I was not at all disspointed with her work. Her flowers were the best quality. Prices are not cheap, but we were not only delighted with what we received, guests and people who have seen the photos comment on how spectacular the designs were. Timely, and stress free. I would definitely recommend.
  • User2131839 2+ years ago
    Designs By Hemingway helped we with my destination wedding. I didn't get to see anything until the day of the wedding and the flowers looked beautiful. I felt the flower arrangements were fairly priced but be careful with the rental items. They can be quite pricey and it all adds up quick!
    L Married on 10/24/2010
    Unfortunately we had some difficulties in working with Designs by Hemingway, although I am very pleased that other customers were happy with their results.

We are from Australia and we had a destination wedding in Oahu in October 2010. Our communications with vendors were primarily through email and it was was therefore important that all our vendors provided responses that were detailed and prompt. This vendor usually responded by email within a few days. However, we also tried to call this vendor on a number of occasions and our calls were received just once - on the day of our wedding.

A week before our wedding I needed extra floral arrangements, although I had to find a second florist on the day before our wedding as I could not get in touch with Designs by Hemingway. Our second florist, Sweet Leilani, was fantastic!

One of the other reasons for the low rating was the very high delivery cost.

I wish this business well, and I hope my experience was an exception to the norm.