Derek Halkett Photography Reviews

Derek Halkett Photography 6
Derek Halkett Photography 7

kristine · Married on 12/01/2018

Amazing work!

Derek was very personable, detail-oriented, and responsive to requests. I booked a destination wedding so I did not meet any vendors aside from the caterer during the food tasting. Derek was on the preferred vendor list that my wedding planner sent over so I did some research to look at reviews and to see his work. I was immediately impressed and submitted a request to have Derek photograph my wedding. We kept in contact during the months leading up to the wedding and set up a timeline for the day of so he knew where to be and when. He was very easy going, has an eye for detail, and took time capturing all the perfect moments using the best lighting, props, and scenery. The pictures turned out amazing and I can't thank him enough for the work he did!

Derek Halkett Photography 8
    Derek Halkett Photography 9
    Derek Halkett Photography 10

Hannah Armstrong · Married on 11/24/2018

Best Quality photographer!

Derek is a fast responder and a fantastic photographer. Our wedding pictures and maternity pictures turned out gorgeous. He made us feel like models! He was prompt, thorough, and professional too. I highly recommend him and I’ll definitely recommend him to all my friends.

Shawnee · Married on 11/17/2018

Breath taking photos!

Derek is very talented and very sociable and open to ideas. We got along great and he was very fun to work with. I absolutely love our photos!

Valencia · Married on 11/04/2018

When I first reached out to Derek he responded with availability and pricing within a couple of hours and that responsiveness pretty much went for the whole process. I never had to wait more than a day to get a response. He was very affordable. I can’t thank him enough for capturing our intimate wedding in the smokies and driving up a sketchy dirt path to get to our venue haha. He made sure to capture the shots that we wanted and was very friendly. He took the time to get to know me and my husband before he started shooting. I was worried about not having met my wedding photographer since we were getting married in another state but he made the process very easy. Also I got a sneak peak less than 5 hours after we were married! And my whole album was done in two weeks! I have never ever heard of anyone getting professional photos with editing back that soon. I was honestly shocked. His work is beautiful. I caught my eye when I was trying to find a photographer and I am so happy he was available so we could book him to be out photographer. Thank you so much Derek!

Derek Halkett Photography 11
    Derek Halkett Photography 12
  • Leah

Leah · Married on 10/27/2018

If I could give Derek ten stars I would! My fiance and I were looking for a photographer who was able to hike to Mt LeConte (where my fiance proposed) in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park with us. This is a 10 mile round trip, not for the faint of heart, hike. In addition, the photographer had to have a CUA (Commercial Use Authorization) per the national park requirements. Being from Ohio, I couldn't met any potential photographer in person before our shoot. Let's just say I had some high standards and qualifications that had to be met to make this work.
    After some searching, I found Derek. He called me right away after I inquired and said he was very willing to take on this adventure, he had his CUA, and would love the opportunity to photographer at the lodge. He also worked with me to set a fair price since he would be hiking to the destination with us and not photographing the entire time.
    As we approached the date in which we had set for photos, the weather decided it wasn't going to cooperate with us. Derek was easy to get a hold of and we decided to move the date of the photo shoot back one day to ensure we had optimal, clear weather for the mountain photos.
    Once the day arrived, Derek was on time and ready to go once we got to the trail head. We stopped for many photos along the trail and he even packed and carried the required lights and equipment in his backpack to get the best of the best shoots.
    Overall, working with Derek was an amazing experience and I am truly grateful for his ambition and adventurous spirit concerning hiking and photographing in the national park. Even though the session was just yesterday, I already have an edited teaser photo from him that I am in love with. I can't wait to see the rest of them!!!
    I would highly recommend Derek to anyone and he will get any of my future Smokey Mountains photography business.

Derek Halkett Photography 13

Addie · Married on 10/27/2018

I met Derek through my aunt who works in the wedding industry. She had so many good things to say about him. I was so glad I got in touch with him. He was nothing but accommodating for Alex and I. Come wedding day, it was a little hectic, but Derek remained so patient with me and my family. He did an awesome job getting tons of family pictures done in a short amount of time so we could get back to the party (Alex has a huge family). All of the pictures we have are AMAZING. He even went out of his way to do purple night shots of Alex and I. They turned out so unique and cool. During the reception he got all of us dancing and really captured the memories. Derek was also very quick to have all the shots edited and ready for us to view. It only took him a week, which I was amazed at since I know some other brides that have waited a month or longer. It was easy to view/download all the photos. I would highly, highly recommend him to any brides and grooms looking for an amazing photographer.

Derek Halkett Photography 14
    Derek Halkett Photography 15
    Derek Halkett Photography 16
  • Kyrsti

Kyrsti · Married on 10/05/2018

Super happy with our pictures

My husband and I are soo happy we found Derek to shoot the most important day of our lives. I found him by researching pictures from my venue and found a post of his pictures. I fell in love with the style of his pictures and immediately reached out to him. He was prompt to reply and we set up a call. We decided to put down a deposit to hold the date, and signed the contract. I had also emailed him several times leading up to the wedding to ask about videographer recommendations and he was always very prompt to reply. We never met him in person before the wedding, but had a call the week of the wedding - he was very professional and organized.

He arrived on time the day of to the location we asked and immediately got to work. He was very pleasant to work with and very knowledgeable. He scoped out great lighting and made all the family portraits very efficient. We got sooo many great pictures and I cannot stress how happy we are with all of them. He caught so many great moments and I honestly don't remember seeing him there taking pictures during the hustle and bustle of the wedding day - which is how it should be! He also coordinated the first look between me and my husband which was one of my favorite parts of the day.

We got all of our pictures back faster than I thought and we are just so happy with the quality and accessibility. Highly recommend hiring Derek to shoot your special day! He was so nice and down to earth, he also has an eye for getting amazing shots. Cannot say enough good things :)

Mary · Married on 08/31/2018

Where do I begin!! Derek is a phenomenal photographer with an incredible talent and eye for detail. I learned about him when he shot a friends wedding, and I knew right away I wanted to hire him for my wedding when the day came. Well, that day came in 8/31/18 and I had Derek do our engagement, and wedding photos. I am head over heels in love with the photos he provided us. Hes professional, and always goes the extra mile to get that incredible shot. Not only am I obsessed with our photos, but I'm also obsessed with all his other photos! I follow his page on Facebook so that I can continue admiring his work and he continues to outdo himself! He's also the kindest and most down to earth person which made working with him that much better! He does research so that he knows the area he is working in, which shows an incredible dedication to his work!! I wish I could give him 100 stars, and I will ALWAYS recommend him to everyone I know! TOP NOTCH PHOTOGRAPHER!!

Derek Halkett Photography 17
    Derek Halkett Photography 18
    Derek Halkett Photography 19

Chelsea · Married on 06/16/2018

Derek exceeded every expectation when it came to our engagement photos. Very reliable and flexible. Great personality and overall character. I highly recommend him and if we could give more than 5 stars we would because he deserves it! The photos he captured were absolutely amazing!!

Kate · Married on 06/15/2018

Honestly this whole experience was incredibly wonderful. He responded to all of my many questions so quickly and precisely. He was very accommodating while we were planning a day for the engagement shoot, and with the date and distance for the wedding day. Throughout the engagement shoot he made my fiancé and I feel comfortable, relaxed, and confident. Just a few hours after the shoot we already had one photo back, then 24 hours later we received a preview, and THEN a few hours later we received the final copies. His work is absolutely breath taking, and I've spent about an hour going through the photos. Derek is an amazing artist, and I cannot wait to work with him again on my wedding day.

• Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn · Married on 06/03/2018

Derek was originally recommended to me by a raving former classmate and bride who had used him, herself. Now, having used him for my own wedding, I understand why she had so many amazing things to say. Derek was exactly the photographer you want to have at your back and behind the camera on your big day. Not only is he a creative genius and takes the most glamorous shots that my husband and I have ever seen, but he is such a wonderful professional and genuinely kind guy. He flew to Connecticut for our wedding and used the very limited time we provided (45 minutes during out first look and 45 mins during our cocktail hour) to capture photos of my husband, myself and my bridal party in the most organized and efficient way possible. He is extremely calculated; using the right angles, hardware and the natural environment to capture unbelievable photos. I could just say I love MY photos, but I love ALL of his photos of every couple he posts. On my wedding day, my pastor essentially ruined my whole ceremony and I was crying uncontrollably on our way to take photos during cocktail hour. Derek went over and beyond to have a heart-to-heart with my husband and I to reiterate that it was "our" day and that we were going to get the most amazing photos if we moved past the "bad" and let him help us catpure the "good". It immediately made taking photos a better experience and turned my attitude around for the remainder of my wedding day. My friends and family thought he was great. He is truly an outstanding photographer and worth every last penny that you will spend. I cannot recommend him highly enough.

Derek Halkett Photography 20

Daulton · Married on 05/25/2018

Derek truly was a complete 5 star photographer for our wedding day! He was extremely friendly and always there to help us with any questions we had, always responded ASAP. He worked with me to make sure we were able to get photographs for a surprise song I performed for my wife with no trouble whatsoever and overall helped capture all the wonderful moments beautifully. We also had him for our engagement shoot and it turned out amazing. Every step of the way he was again extremely friendly, professional, and just went absolutely above and beyond for us. Plus, this guy is ridiculously talented! Nobody does it like Derek and that's why we chose him, and it was worth every single penny. We would recommend him to everyone.

Junior · Married on 05/11/2018

I don't think we could have found a better photographer for our special day. The final product left me speechless.

Derek Halkett Photography 21
    Derek Halkett Photography 22
    Derek Halkett Photography 23

Jennifer · Married on 11/24/2017

A 5 star rating is not enough for this extraordinary photographer! He is quick with responses and correspondence, great at listening to the couple to help them realize their vision, and a creative genius! There are photographers and there are artists and Derek is both in one person. A rare find! We could not be more happy that he came our way and has preserved forever our family's precious memories of the wedding day.

Megan · Married on 10/28/2017

I had the great fortune of seeing Derek photograph my college roommate's wedding and was lucky enough to book him for our special day. He makes brilliant use of lighting everywhere and posted the most beautiful 'teaser' picture in what seemed like minutes after our wedding was over (all after making a long drive home for him). That was so exciting to see so soon after the wedding and made me relive the night all over again. His final photographs were in our possession so much sooner than I expected and I'm thrilled with all of them. I have to admit I was somewhat anxious to get them back thinking we may not have gotten all the shots I hoped for, but Derek is both a photographer ninja and hyper efficient with the time available. There were poses I didn't even remember taking in the final proofs! I highly recommend this photographer!

Derek Halkett Photography 24

Ashleigh · Married on 10/13/2017

Derek is amazing! Planning a wedding in a different state definitely has its challenges, but one thing I knew that I did not have to worry about was photography once we booked Derek. Within hours of our wedding we had a sneak peak and 3 days later our entire online gallery! Please do not look any further for a photographer for your wedding! I promise you will not regret it! :)

kourtney · Married on 10/06/2017

Where do I even start with Derek, he was absolutely amazing!! Derek was referred to us by a friend and after looking over his portfolio we fell in love with his style and knew we wanted Derek for our day (even though he was moving away!) Luckily, Derek agreed to fly home for our engagement session and our wedding day! He was so responsive to questions we had and made sure that we captured every image we wanted on both our engagement shoot and our wedding day (even if we broke some of the rules ) He was so professional and made sure that we were able to move quickly through our photos so we could get the shots we all wanted and still be able to enjoy our day with our guests. The sneak pictures we have already received are PHENOMINAL and I am so excited to see all the rest! Thank you so much Derek for all the time and work you have put into documenting our wedding day! We could not have asked for anything more!!!

Kalyn · Married on 08/20/2017

My husband and I worked with Derek for both our engagement photos and wedding day! Derek is an amazing person to work with and the pictures he captured for us are beyond stunning! He went above and beyond our expectations every time! One of the best choices we made for our special day!

Aaron · Married on 04/29/2017

When we met Derek, we had just come off a series of bad exchanges/meetings with another photographer that we had our hearts set on working with. We made lots of excuses that her lack of professionalism was worth the beautiful pictures. After the final time that she blew us off, we started back on the search for a wedding photographer. We met with Derek, a little bit frustrated with the process and were really blown out of the water. He was wonderful, extremely professional and respectful. He came with his portfolio and spent a significant portion of time in our meeting telling us about what makes him great and what training he had pursued to help him master his craft. He had thoughts, questions, and concerns that during the process of interviewing wedding photographers, I never would have thought to ask, such as the ability to take pictures in the dark. On top of that, Derek offered a style that differs from most photographers in Knoxville. Whether you want shabby chic/rustic feel or a classic sophisticated vibe, Derek can shoot it. My husband and I both immediately knew he was the wedding photographer we were meant to have and the experience did not stop there. He was very professional with setting up our engagement session. He was receptive to the places we wanted to do our photographs and he visited the sites to scope out ideas, picture spots and lighting. We spent a few hours in the morning taking engagement pictures and by that evening he had already posted several of his favorites. Less than a week later, we had all the engagement pictures from the shoot. The experience at our wedding was the same. He visited the venue in the days leading up to the wedding to determine lighting and where he could get the best shots based on the time we would be at the venue. You can tell when someone loves their job and I cannot give enough praise to Derek. I wish everyone put the same care and attention to detail in their jobs.

Miki · Married on 03/25/2017

Derek did an excellent job shooting and editing our engagement and wedding photos. He was extremely professional, always on time, and very friendly. Derek is flexible and willing to take the time and energy to devote to attention to detail and creative work. He answered emails and questions in a timely manner, listened to our feedback, and worked with us to capture the beauty, nuances, and special moments, all which make our wedding day at Crooked River Farm a living memory. My husband and I highly recommend him as a professional wedding photographer! Thank you, Derek!

Matt · Married on 10/22/2016

Derek was great! Very flexible and accommodating. He really took the time to make our wedding pictures the best they could be. Super time efficient in getter our pictures back to us after the wedding too!

• Alexis

Alexis · Married on 10/08/2016

I was insistent on getting married in the Smoky Mountains. A national park isn't the easiest spot to find quality vendors and the kind of shots we wanted weren't for the faint of heart. When I saw Derek's work on WeddingWire, I was pumped, but skeptical. How could shots this good be so reasonably priced? He was so cool though. He worked with our budget and was enthusiastic throughout the entire process. Derek had done some solid prep work online and had visited the area with his kids prior to the wedding date. Last minute, I asked him to show up earlier than planned on the wedding day and he was there without question. He captured the entire day. Seriously, no detail went unsnapped. I expressed the need for waterfalls and possibly a hike. He consulted with a friend to ensure we went to the best spot. He suggested leaving our enormous bridal party behind(sheer brilliance) and taking off after the ceremony. On the way, we pulled over unannounced and jumped in the river. He followed suit and started snapping. The hike to the falls was no joke. Once we arrived, my husband and I jumped in the falls and without missing a beat he was in too. He jogged back with us to ensure we made it back in time for dinner. Above and beyond doesn't begin to cover it. Not only would most photographers not be down with this kind of chaos, but most wouldn't be physically capable. When we got to the venue, he ensured we took more bridal party shots. I was checking out our pictures today(barely over a week after the wedding) and quietly sobbing. The shots at the waterfall look like a postcard. Beyond the majestic magazine level pictures, he really caught the spirit of the day. The love between my husband(so real) and I was so genuinely captured, none of that awkward posing. I don't know anyone that loved hundreds of their wedding photos. I'm so happy we hired this man. Working with him was truly a wonderful experience. He really helped take our day to the next level. Thanks, Derek!

Marcia · Married on 10/01/2016

I found Derek through wedding wire, and I feel like a hit the jackpot. Derek was wonderful. His work is truly art! He was very professional, but he made us feel at ease on our wedding day. He took some amazing shots on my parents property that made them special for us and my whole family. He really displayed his talent as he took photos in a forest, in a field, a barn and finally, lakeside on our dock. He worked with our budget, schedule, and provided our photos in a timely manner. We will be recommending him to everyone!

Kyle · Married on 09/30/2016

Derek is amazing! My coworker told me about Derek after I had difficulty getting a photographer to even call me back. Within 20 minutes of an inquiry on his website he had called me to talk. I decided to book him immediately and couldn't be happier. He had never been to our venue and, on his own time, went to scope it out so he would be prepared and not waste any valuable wedding time. Our caterer was extremely unprofessional towards him but he remained totally professional and despite an extremely difficult lighting situation he was able to get amazing shots. Within a couple days he had posted some of my pictures, within 2 weeks I had my whole album available on line and the usb of my pics had arrived at my house. He is very accommodating, friendly, responsive, fair and a joy to work with.