Derek Halkett Photography Reviews

85 | Knoxville, TN

85 Reviews for Derek Halkett Photography

• Cassy

Cassy H. · Married on 02/10/2021

Great photos! Amazing experience!

Working with Derek was an amazing experience for the whole wedding party. The professionalism and quality of work are unmatched. The photos are absolutely breath taking and the entire process was smooth and surprisingly easy. He was really good at making everyone feel comfortable in front of the camera and we couldn't be more pleased. It wouldn't have been the same without him!

Sent on 10/30/2019
  • Lauren

Lauren W. · Married on 01/16/2021

Winter Wedding

Derek did a wonderful job with our wedding. He was attentive, personable, and did a fantastic job capturing all the little moments that made our day so special. We definitely recommend him and would use him again in the future for other special occasions!

Sent on 02/06/2021

Mariette S. · Married on 11/06/2020

Best Photographer ever!

My Husband and I hired Derek to be our photographer for our engagement and wedding photos. Derek is so easy to work with and really makes you feel comfortable. Derek has a talent like no other. We are in love with our wedding photos! Derek thank you for capturing our special day!

Sent on 01/29/2021
  • Carolyn

Carolyn K. · Married on 09/05/2020

Derek is a miracle worker.

We are so glad we had Derek with us to capture our special moments. He came up for both our Engagement shoot and our Wedding. He utilized multiple locations for each to provide us with a variety of photos to choose from which I greatly appreciate. He is personable which helped set us as ease when sharing intimate moments. He was able to suggest different positions, locations, etc, to really guide us to get the best shot. He utilized light really well to create some beautiful shots. He clearly knows what he is doing and it shows in the results. He pays attention to the detail and listens to what you're looking for. He turned our wedding around in ONE week. We cannot thank you enough Derek. We highly recommend.

Sent on 09/10/2020
  • Amy

Amy · Married on 08/29/2020

Best photographer ever!!!

Derek was so awesome to work with. He quickly responds to all the questions you may have along the way! We had so much confidence in Derek that we booked him 2 years in advance. I actually found him from our Venue Cobb Hull Estate in NH. He had photographed there many of times. After viewing his professional website & going through countless amounts of his photos it was a go! I wanted my wedding to be captured in the same way he was capturing others!!!
    Our engagement photos came out awesome a year ago and then he photographed our wedding just 2 weeks ago !!!! During a crazy pandemic, Derek showed up and caught every part of our special day for us. I highly recommend Derek he did an awesome job and not only did Jake and I really enjoy him but the whole wedding party thought he was awesome!! If you are looking for someone that will guide you through the process and truly care about each and every couple that he works with than Derek is for sure the photographer to chose!!! We can’t thank him enough!

Sent on 09/15/2020
  • Theresa

Theresa F. · Married on 07/25/2020

Amazing Photos and Quality of Service!

Derek was a pleasure to work with from start to finish. He was personable, friendly and quick to respond to wedding communication. Due to COVID-19, our wedding plans changed several times. Derek was flexible and easy going and even helped us find a beautiful location to take our photos, despite the fact that he lives out of state. The day of the wedding, he made us feel comfortable and relaxed while taking our photos and we were blown away by the pictures! They are stunning! I am so glad we have these photos to capture the love surrounding our special day. We received all the photos super quick...we were still on our honeymoon! We are so glad we booked with Derek!

Sent on 08/18/2020

Amanda B. · Married on 04/18/2020

10/10 recommend!

Derek was FANTASTIC! He did everything I asked of him, and much more! He knew the perfect angles, when the pictures would be perfect for lighting, etc. He had us doing some awesome/sketchy stuff, and the picture turned out wonderful (follow everything he asks- you won't be disappointed!)! He instructed us on what to do along the way, and every single one of the pictures turned out amazing! Also, very personable!

Sent on 10/28/2020
  • Emily

Emily R. · Married on 11/09/2019

November 9, 2019 wedding

Derek is extremely professional and easy to work with. He made sure we were comfortable and had plenty of beautiful photos from our special day that we loved looking at together. I was blown away by them. And he got them back to us very quickly which was great because I’m super impatient! He talked us into doing a first look due to the fact that the sun would be setting early and our ceremony was at 5pm. We both were so glad we did it! We wouldn’t have had nearly as many photos together and it was a really special private moment for the two of us.

Sent on 12/09/2019
  • Annmarie

Annmarie · Married on 10/21/2019

Great Experience!!

Excellent photographer!! We would highly recommend him to anyone. The first few photos we received back, almost made me cry. Speechless, breathtaking photos ❤️.

Sent on 10/24/2019
  • Ashlyn

Ashlyn G. · Married on 08/31/2019

Amazing photographer with great skills

Not only are Derek's photos amazing but he seems to understand his bride/grooms vision of what they are looking for in their pictures. He did our engagement and wedding day photos. Derek is very personable and I had several family members come up to me throughout the night to say how great a job he was doing. Needless to say our photos came out amazing! I would not hesitate to recommend Derek to anyone looking for a photographer.

Sent on 09/14/2019
  • Raven

Raven · Married on 05/04/2019

Beautiful images

Derek was amazing to work with - from our engagement session to our ceremony and reception. He captured our day beautifully and had our gallery (over 1000 photos) back to us within a week! Despite a rainy day and uncooperative cloud cover, he created some unbelievable shots that are truly impressive. If you're looking for gorgeous, dramatic images, Derek is the photographer for you.

Sent on 05/12/2019

Kristine · Married on 12/01/2018

Amazing work!

Derek was very personable, detail-oriented, and responsive to requests. I booked a destination wedding so I did not meet any vendors aside from the caterer during the food tasting. Derek was on the preferred vendor list that my wedding planner sent over so I did some research to look at reviews and to see his work. I was immediately impressed and submitted a request to have Derek photograph my wedding. We kept in contact during the months leading up to the wedding and set up a timeline for the day of so he knew where to be and when. He was very easy going, has an eye for detail, and took time capturing all the perfect moments using the best lighting, props, and scenery. The pictures turned out amazing and I can't thank him enough for the work he did!

Sent on 12/12/2018

Hannah A. · Married on 11/24/2018

Best Quality photographer!

Derek is a fast responder and a fantastic photographer. Our wedding pictures and maternity pictures turned out gorgeous. He made us feel like models! He was prompt, thorough, and professional too. I highly recommend him and I’ll definitely recommend him to all my friends.

Sent on 12/04/2018

Shawnee · Married on 11/17/2018

Breath taking photos!

Derek is very talented and very sociable and open to ideas. We got along great and he was very fun to work with. I absolutely love our photos!

Sent on 11/24/2018

Valencia · Married on 11/04/2018

When I first reached out to Derek he responded with availability and pricing within a couple of hours and that responsiveness pretty much went for the whole process. I never had to wait more than a day to get a response. He was very affordable. I can’t thank him enough for capturing our intimate wedding in the smokies and driving up a sketchy dirt path to get to our venue haha. He made sure to capture the shots that we wanted and was very friendly. He took the time to get to know me and my husband before he started shooting. I was worried about not having met my wedding photographer since we were getting married in another state but he made the process very easy. Also I got a sneak peak less than 5 hours after we were married! And my whole album was done in two weeks! I have never ever heard of anyone getting professional photos with editing back that soon. I was honestly shocked. His work is beautiful. I caught my eye when I was trying to find a photographer and I am so happy he was available so we could book him to be out photographer. Thank you so much Derek!

Sent on 11/24/2017
  • Leah

Leah · Married on 10/27/2018

If I could give Derek ten stars I would! My fiance and I were looking for a photographer who was able to hike to Mt LeConte (where my fiance proposed) in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park with us. This is a 10 mile round trip, not for the faint of heart, hike. In addition, the photographer had to have a CUA (Commercial Use Authorization) per the national park requirements. Being from Ohio, I couldn't met any potential photographer in person before our shoot. Let's just say I had some high standards and qualifications that had to be met to make this work.
    After some searching, I found Derek. He called me right away after I inquired and said he was very willing to take on this adventure, he had his CUA, and would love the opportunity to photographer at the lodge. He also worked with me to set a fair price since he would be hiking to the destination with us and not photographing the entire time.
    As we approached the date in which we had set for photos, the weather decided it wasn't going to cooperate with us. Derek was easy to get a hold of and we decided to move the date of the photo shoot back one day to ensure we had optimal, clear weather for the mountain photos.
    Once the day arrived, Derek was on time and ready to go once we got to the trail head. We stopped for many photos along the trail and he even packed and carried the required lights and equipment in his backpack to get the best of the best shoots.
    Overall, working with Derek was an amazing experience and I am truly grateful for his ambition and adventurous spirit concerning hiking and photographing in the national park. Even though the session was just yesterday, I already have an edited teaser photo from him that I am in love with. I can't wait to see the rest of them!!!
    I would highly recommend Derek to anyone and he will get any of my future Smokey Mountains photography business.

Sent on 10/18/2017

Addie · Married on 10/27/2018

I met Derek through my aunt who works in the wedding industry. She had so many good things to say about him. I was so glad I got in touch with him. He was nothing but accommodating for Alex and I. Come wedding day, it was a little hectic, but Derek remained so patient with me and my family. He did an awesome job getting tons of family pictures done in a short amount of time so we could get back to the party (Alex has a huge family). All of the pictures we have are AMAZING. He even went out of his way to do purple night shots of Alex and I. They turned out so unique and cool. During the reception he got all of us dancing and really captured the memories. Derek was also very quick to have all the shots edited and ready for us to view. It only took him a week, which I was amazed at since I know some other brides that have waited a month or longer. It was easy to view/download all the photos. I would highly, highly recommend him to any brides and grooms looking for an amazing photographer.

Sent on 07/31/2018
  • Paige

Paige · Married on 10/20/2018

Book Derek NOW!!!

Throughout the whole process Derek was so easy to work with. It was so much fun watching him work at our wedding. Derek had been to our venue before, but he continued to be creative and try new shots and lighting techniques. His creative mind truly never stops innovating. Derek returned all 1,500+ of our photos back to us within 4 DAYS of our wedding!! Everyone was so impressed with the quality of his work. I keep hearing “your wedding photos are incredible” and “where did you find your photographer he’s amazing”. EVERY single photo Derek took looks like it belongs in a magazine. Stop your search and book Derek now; you cannot find someone better.

Sent on 09/03/2019
  • Kyrsti

Kyrsti · Married on 10/05/2018

Super happy with our pictures

My husband and I are soo happy we found Derek to shoot the most important day of our lives. I found him by researching pictures from my venue and found a post of his pictures. I fell in love with the style of his pictures and immediately reached out to him. He was prompt to reply and we set up a call. We decided to put down a deposit to hold the date, and signed the contract. I had also emailed him several times leading up to the wedding to ask about videographer recommendations and he was always very prompt to reply. We never met him in person before the wedding, but had a call the week of the wedding - he was very professional and organized.

He arrived on time the day of to the location we asked and immediately got to work. He was very pleasant to work with and very knowledgeable. He scoped out great lighting and made all the family portraits very efficient. We got sooo many great pictures and I cannot stress how happy we are with all of them. He caught so many great moments and I honestly don't remember seeing him there taking pictures during the hustle and bustle of the wedding day - which is how it should be! He also coordinated the first look between me and my husband which was one of my favorite parts of the day.

We got all of our pictures back faster than I thought and we are just so happy with the quality and accessibility. Highly recommend hiring Derek to shoot your special day! He was so nice and down to earth, he also has an eye for getting amazing shots. Cannot say enough good things :)

Sent on 10/26/2018

Mary · Married on 08/31/2018

Where do I begin!! Derek is a phenomenal photographer with an incredible talent and eye for detail. I learned about him when he shot a friends wedding, and I knew right away I wanted to hire him for my wedding when the day came. Well, that day came in 8/31/18 and I had Derek do our engagement, and wedding photos. I am head over heels in love with the photos he provided us. Hes professional, and always goes the extra mile to get that incredible shot. Not only am I obsessed with our photos, but I'm also obsessed with all his other photos! I follow his page on Facebook so that I can continue admiring his work and he continues to outdo himself! He's also the kindest and most down to earth person which made working with him that much better! He does research so that he knows the area he is working in, which shows an incredible dedication to his work!! I wish I could give him 100 stars, and I will ALWAYS recommend him to everyone I know! TOP NOTCH PHOTOGRAPHER!!

Sent on 10/02/2018
  • Nick

Nick · Married on 08/18/2018

Captured our moments

We had Derek as our photographer for our wedding at the Lily Barn and he did an amazing job. Listened to our needs and what we wanted out of our pictures and captured them perfectly. Could not have been happier

Sent on 08/01/2019

Kiana S. · Married on 08/06/2018

Amazing Talent!

Derek is such a talented amazing photographer. I have gotten so many compliments on my wedding pictures taken by him it’s unreal. During the weeks leading up to the wedding Derek would check in with me making sure we were on the same page about what I wanted and any images that were a must. During the wedding Derek handled everything with professionalism and did an amazing job at making certain we were getting the pictures we wanted. One of my favorite things about Derek is that he is so personable with everyone and does not make things awkward. That was one of my biggest concerns going in to choosing a photographer. Lastly, his creativity to get the perfect shot is outstanding. The uniqueness of the pictures he takes are another reason why he stood out to me when searching for a photographer. His services are well worth the money. I can’t imagine choosing a different photographer.

Sent on 05/19/2019

Chelsea · Married on 06/16/2018

Derek exceeded every expectation when it came to our engagement photos. Very reliable and flexible. Great personality and overall character. I highly recommend him and if we could give more than 5 stars we would because he deserves it! The photos he captured were absolutely amazing!!

Sent on 10/16/2017

Kate · Married on 06/15/2018

Honestly this whole experience was incredibly wonderful. He responded to all of my many questions so quickly and precisely. He was very accommodating while we were planning a day for the engagement shoot, and with the date and distance for the wedding day. Throughout the engagement shoot he made my fiancé and I feel comfortable, relaxed, and confident. Just a few hours after the shoot we already had one photo back, then 24 hours later we received a preview, and THEN a few hours later we received the final copies. His work is absolutely breath taking, and I've spent about an hour going through the photos. Derek is an amazing artist, and I cannot wait to work with him again on my wedding day.

Sent on 04/03/2017
  • Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn · Married on 06/03/2018

Derek was originally recommended to me by a raving former classmate and bride who had used him, herself. Now, having used him for my own wedding, I understand why she had so many amazing things to say. Derek was exactly the photographer you want to have at your back and behind the camera on your big day. Not only is he a creative genius and takes the most glamorous shots that my husband and I have ever seen, but he is such a wonderful professional and genuinely kind guy. He flew to Connecticut for our wedding and used the very limited time we provided (45 minutes during out first look and 45 mins during our cocktail hour) to capture photos of my husband, myself and my bridal party in the most organized and efficient way possible. He is extremely calculated; using the right angles, hardware and the natural environment to capture unbelievable photos. I could just say I love MY photos, but I love ALL of his photos of every couple he posts. On my wedding day, my pastor essentially ruined my whole ceremony and I was crying uncontrollably on our way to take photos during cocktail hour. Derek went over and beyond to have a heart-to-heart with my husband and I to reiterate that it was "our" day and that we were going to get the most amazing photos if we moved past the "bad" and let him help us catpure the "good". It immediately made taking photos a better experience and turned my attitude around for the remainder of my wedding day. My friends and family thought he was great. He is truly an outstanding photographer and worth every last penny that you will spend. I cannot recommend him highly enough.

Sent on 06/06/2018