Darlington House Reviews

48 | La Jolla, CA

48 Reviews for Darlington House

Care · Married on 03/17/2018

Darlington House was as beautiful the day of our wedding as it was on the day of our first walk-through. Stunning gardens, beautiful home. This venue appealed to all of my guests - regardless of age. During the cocktail hour, the older generation loved sitting inside by the fire while the younger crowd socialized on the patio. Easy space to entertain 160 people for dinner and dancing!

Kristen · Married on 07/16/2016

I am so happy that I chose this venue! I wanted a place for my guests that would be private, charming, and sophisticated- Darlington was all of these qualities and I still keep getting compliments from my guests.

Nicole · Married on 05/21/2016

As a wedding planner, there was no question that I knew that the Darlington was going to be the perfect fit when it finally came time for my big day! It didn't take much convincing for my fiance (now husband) to agree that it fit our laid back personalities, would be able to create the perfect private and historic ambiance, and provide us with the flexibility to make it our own. Their staff is so friendly, professional, and accommodating which I appreciate as a wedding vendor myself! The property is very well kept and I love that they recently renovated their back patio, it is so beautiful, lush, and green. I have a wedding there for a client this Friday and couldn't be more excited to work there again!

Nadia · Married on 05/06/2016

The staff at the Darlington House were very kind and accommodating throughout the entire planning process. The venue itself is beautiful and was just perfect for the look and feel that my husband and I wanted for our wedding. There was really no need to spend any money on decorations because the grounds are already quite lovely. They take great care of the site, and make sure that everything looks great on your special day.

Christine · Married on 11/13/2015

Hello, Our daughter, Stephanie and her husband Trevor Welsh were married at the Darlington House on Friday, November 13, 2015. Summer was so helpful and sweet, a big thank you to her. I had the pleasure of talking with Marie, Jan and Nanette on the night of the wedding and had to tell them how much we loved the property for the wedding. Our guests were very impressed with the house and grounds. I loved how we were able to utilize the areas for our needs. Just beautiful. I told the ladies that our wedding felt so unique and special to us even though I know there are weddings held there probably every weekend.
    Thank you for opening the Darlington House to us. We enjoyed every minute of it and we will all be talking about the Welsh wedding for years to come!

Fondly,
    Christine Huey

Sent on 12/19/2015

Darlington House's reply:

Hi Christine, Thank you for your kind words! We are so happy you chose Darlington House to be a part of Stephanie and Trevor's special day. You all were wonderful to work with! Best wishes to you and the family! Sincerely, Your Darlington House Team

Melissa · Married on 08/16/2015

The Darlington House is amazing! From the start, they were very professional in making arrangements. They do this often and it shows...all of my vendors had worked with them previously which made planning very simple. And the night of the wedding was spectacular (5pm wedding with reception following). The rose garden is unbelievable at night. My guests were gushing about how elegant the reception was. I would recommend extra "up" lighting around the foliage...it really creates a magical feel. From start to finish, The Darlington House was a fabulous experience.

Sent on 12/22/2015

Darlington House's reply:

Hi Melissa, Thank you for your review! We are so happy you and your guests enjoyed Darlington House! Wonderful to hear the planning was simple due to our amazing vendors. Congratulations to you and Marc! -Your Darlington House Team

Tina-Marie · Married on 10/25/2014

Thank you to all the professional representatives at The Darlngton House for being attentive, mindful and devoted to the organization of my wedding. This venue was spectacular to say the least with existing twinkling lights surrounding the property. The venue is meant for a true fairytale romance. It was more than my guests could ever imagine. True to the 1920s era this properties positive energy creates a vibe that ripples through the grounds. I highly recommend the staff and The Darlington House for your gathering. The venues ambience is undoubtedly peaceful, breathtaking and has a flair for glitz and glamour. Rest assured your guests will remember your event if you host it at this beautiful property.

Sent on 02/18/2015

Darlington House's reply:

Thank you Tina-Marie for the kind words about Darlington House and our staff! You were a pleasure to work with and we wish you all the best! -Your Darlington House Staff

Such a gorgeous location. Our wedding was at the end of March when the flowers were in bloom. Staff were very helpful and friendly. We highly recommend this venue!

ANTHONY · Married on 10/27/2013

BEAUTIFUL VENUE. IT MADE MY DAUGHTER'S WEDDING PERFECT

Taryn · Married on 09/28/2013

I found the Darlington House and fell in love! It was exactly what we were looking for. Romantic and Intimate it felt like we were getting married at a family home. All the staff was extremely helpful and friendly and because my fiance was in the military we also got a great discount. I wish I could get married there again!

Every single one of our wedding guests commented on how amazing this venue was! I wanted a destination feel for my wedding even though we live in San Diego and the Spanish courtyards were perfect!

• User3205742 · 2+ years ago

My fiance and I wanted a wedding venue that was not a hotel and that had a lot of character. The Darlington House was the perfect choice. We had about 75 guests, which we thought may be too small of a wedding for the venue, but everything turned out better than we could have anticipated. We had the ceremony in the Egyptian patio, which has a beautiful water fountain Mrs. Darlington curated from Egypt (hence, the name of the patio). The cocktail hour was held in the Andulusian Patio, and the bar was located in the Library, which is the most charming and interesting rooms in the Darlington House. The reception was held in the Rose Garden, which had a great, charming ambiance and perfectly accommodated the size of our wedding.

The Darlington House required more planning and work as you would have to bring in all the vendors (they do provide you a long list of required caterers), but it was absolutely worth it. With the right vendors, all you have to do is highlight the natural and history beauty of the Darlington House to make it the wedding venue of yours dreams. One thing worth noting is that we hired valet service, which our guests really appreciated since there is no commercial lot in that area, and street parking is quite limited.

The venue is located in a residential area in downtown La Jolla, about a few block from the beach. Our wedding was on the earlier side (ceremony began at 3:30pm) as the municipal code would not allow outdoor noise/music after 10:00pm. The time restriction was not a problem for us at all, and our guests thought the venue was beautiful.

Lisa · Married on 10/05/2012

The Darlington House is one of my favorite venues in San Diego! I'm so glad I chose to have my wedding in such a beautiful, intimate space. Since my own wedding, I've been lucky enough to plan weddings there throughout the years and even attend a few wedding as a guest ;) It never gets old... I love the Darlington House :)

Sent on 12/22/2015

Darlington House's reply:

Lisa, Thank you for the review! We love working with Wedding By Lisa Nicole and whenever we do, we know our clients are in excellent hands! Looking forward to another wonderful year -Your Darlington House Team

Monica · Married on 04/06/2012

Absolutely LOVE this venue. We couldn't have picked a more perfect place.

Artie · Married on 11/06/2011

What a perfect Venue for our special day... We still talk about how nice it was and professional everyone were. Thanks to everyone who helped us there...

Liliana · Married on 10/22/2010

This is a fantastic venue that demands respect. It is a historic home just a few blocks from the beach in La Jolla. If you are looking for a classy, romantic venue that will be the perfect background for your pictures, this is the place. Parking can be an issue and music must stop rather early but it is well worth it. In addition, proceeds help the elderly so you are helping a good cause. The staff is warm, helpful and professional.

• liesel

Annaliese · Married on 08/07/2010

The Darlington house was a great venue....it really matched the look and feel we were going for. The staff is friendly and always open to having you come in and take a look and walk around. Emily, the site coordinator for events is super professional and is straightforward. The best part for me and my husband is that the money you use to pay for renting the place, goes to the "Social Service League" which houses low income seniors in the apartments right next door. So your money goes to a good cause...AND...they event make sure to tell you to claim it on your taxes!!

They were ver accomodating with timing issues and start time issues we had. Terry was very willing to accomodate and understood my concerns. Emily let us bring our stuff in a day early.There is a docent there that makes sure that people are complying with the house rules and kids dont break anything....This was actually really nice to have them there

There are a ton of rooms that people can gather in...we made one a babysitting room and the other room people used for drinking thier tea/coffee. The library housed the bar.....it was truly a nice set up and very unique

Tips:
    your reception cant go past 10pm...so think about that.
    and also they open the doors 30 min prior to your start time but your catering services/alcohol has to start at your actual start time not at that "30 min" prior mark
    Parking might be an issue. It wasnt for us, but it depends on time of year and time of day.

Jeanette · Married on 09/12/2015

I had my dream wedding at Darlington House! The place was elegant and the staff kind and helpful.

• Ashlea

Ashlea · Married on 06/16/2014

Where do I even start with this breathtaking venue?! I knew the moment I stepped onto the premises that this would be the “the one.” My husband (then-fiancé) and I wanted a location where we could house the ceremony, cocktail hour and reception in one place while still having an intimate feel. The Darlington House, being a historic estate, did just that and more as it exuded warmth and charm along the way.

There are several rules along with the booking of the house, which a few brides may not be down with, but I ran into absolutely no problems. There is a noise ordinance, since everything is held outdoors, but my DJ (DJ Phreek Music and Lighting) did an amazing job at keeping within the limits and still pumping the dance floor up. There are also some limitations on the caterers and the time the wedding must end, but I found the venue’s list of caterers to be extensive and fantastic and the 10pm end time was perfect for my guests!

There really is no way to capture the true essence of The Darlington House just by looking at pictures, so I recommend you go for a site visit or if you can’t, try to take a look at any cinematic films from a wedding held at the space. The pictures from ANY wedding at this venue are gorgeous but in person you can hear the birds chirping, feel the slight ocean breeze, smell the bounty of flowers and feel the tinge of magic from the grounds of the estate.

I absolutely loved The Darlington House (if you can’t already tell) and I received many compliments from guests who said they felt as if they were in a movie during the whole wedding! If you are looking for an intimate, non-cookie cutter space that is oozing with character, this is most certainly the venue for you – I couldn’t have imagined my wedding anywhere else!

Clare · Married on 03/31/2018

Amazingly beautiful venue, and great service/support. This place was stunning and our guests (and we) loved it. Rules are a bit constrictive and could stand to be relaxed a bit, but given the historic beauty and surroundings, I understand why they are in place.

Natalie · Married on 08/13/2016

Simply stunning! We couldn't have imagined a more beautiful and unique setting for our wedding. The staff are so helpful and accommodating and made our experience very smooth. Don't be intimidated by the need to bring in your own vendors - they provide many great recommendations and it's a fun opportunity to customize your event. The only downside to the venue is that music must end by 9:30 and everyone must be out by 10 pm since it's in a residential area. I was worried about this at first, but our coordinator and vendors did a great job of maximizing our time there. All of our guests had a great time and were very complimentary of the space. Highly recommend!!

Kimberly · Married on 05/28/2016

My fiance & I will be getting married at the Darlington come May 2016. So far, they have been super helpful and easy to work with! It's absolutely BEAUTIFUL and affordable. The only (tiny) con is that you have to choose a caterer from their preferred list. However, it's pretty extensive (~20 vendors listed), so you should be able to find someone you like! We're going through the list now, and we've already found a few that we like and fit within our budget.

Post-wedding update: We are so happy we decided to go with the Darlington House! Everything was beautiful the day of. You really don't need to do much to the venue because it's so pretty as is. Other pros: can BYO alcohol, many hotels in the area, near our after-party (Prospect Bar & Grill-perfect after party venue!), don't need to rent a dance floor, AMAZING bridal suite and separate groomsman suite (for pre-wedding photos), tons of great photo op spots throughout the venue, proceeds go to a non-profit that helps provide senior housing. Above all, it is a gorgeous venue that is large enough to accommodate a big crowd (200) but still manage to feel intimate. Some couples might feel nervous about the end time of 10:00pm (with bar & music off by 9:30pm). To remedy this, we added an extra hour onto our time and we also chose a nearby after party venue for guests who wanted to mingle with us longer & continue to drink. Remember that regardless of how quick the day feels to you, a 5-6 hr event is long/plenty of time for guests. Happy planning!

Sent on 12/10/2014

Darlington House's reply:

Hi Kimberly, We are so happy you chose Darlington House for your special day! We have our list of Required Caterers to help ensure your big day runs smoothly. Our caterers are carefully selected and trusted and we know they will do a wonderful job for you wedding! Good luck on your planning and please let us know if you have any questions! Sincerely, Your Darlington House Team
  • Ruthie

Ruthie · Married on 10/24/2009

The Darlington House is such a beautiful spot and was the perfect place for our wedding. It has a beautiful garden and numerous patio areas that held all of our guests comfortably. People continued to rave and rave about how gorgeous the space was. All the people that we encountered at the Darlington House were all very sweet and happy to have us there.

Gina · Married on 06/13/2009

The Darlington House was great to work with. A very beautiful venue, with nice staff and grounds. Their price was very reasonable compared to other sites. They provided a volunteer staff to watch over the gift table, they had volunteers to give tours of the house to our guests, and Emilie did a great job in making sure everything went well. I highly recommend this private venue.