Darlington House Reviews

Darlington House 7
  • Britt

Britt Campbell · Married on 09/13/2019

Darlington House magic

Our Darlington House wedding was magical and exceeeded our expectations. The house was built for entertaining, it has a perfect flow for wedding activities. The property is charming, expansive and luxurious, for an amazing price. Our floral bill was only for the tabletop because the property has gardens everywhere. Carly was our liaison and she was very patient, helpful and courteous.

Sent on 09/20/2019
    Darlington House 8
    Darlington House 9
    Darlington House 10

Darlington House's reply:

Thank you so much for your sweet review, Britt! We are so happy that you made Darlington House a special part of your day.
  • Parastou

Parastou · Married on 08/18/2019

Intimate, romantic garden wedding with lots of character!

Love, love, love Darlington House! It was the perfect setting for our wedding and can't recommend it enough.

Intimate and unique: We had 125 guests at our wedding on August 18 and the venue was a perfect size and fit for the elegant, intimate and warm wedding we envisioned. I didn't want the typical hotel ballroom wedding - this venue is the complete opposite, TONS of character! We planned each portion of our wedding in different areas of the venue so there was a beautiful flow and our guests loved moving from area to area.

Awesome photos: this venue has so many gorgeous backdrops that you will have such a great variety of photos. The beach is super close by so you can walk there during golden hour with your photographer and snap some awesome pictures.

Management: Carly was super accommodating with many of our requests and my frazzled bride emails, thank you, Carly! Volunteers there are very sweet and helpful. Thank you!

Don't let the 930pm end time put you off - we started early (3pm invite time) and six hours of event time was more than enough. We didn't feel rushed. We also had a Sunday wedding so that probably helped. We had an afterparty booked nearby and it was the perfect ending (if you need recs, just message me. I researched every option in La Jolla!).

Yes, the venue doesn't come with anything so you must bring in everything yourself BUT it's an opportunity to customize it exactly how you like it (trust me, you would end up upgrading chairs and what not and paying more at a hotel anyway) and all the wedding vendors in the area have worked there so they will know what to do. Ashley with Always Flawless Productions was our planner and she was amazing as she's planned so many weddings there, highly recommend her!

Cherry on top: it's a nonprofit, so your venue costs are going towards a good cause.

Thank you, Darlington House, for a beautiful, magical day!

Sent on 09/05/2019
    Darlington House 21
    Darlington House 22
    Darlington House 23

Darlington House's reply:

Thank you so much for your kind review, Parastou! We are so happy that you chose Darlington House as the place to celebrate your beautiful wedding.

Brittany · Married on 06/29/2019

Perfect venue!

Darlington House was AMAZING. We couldn't have dreamed of a better venue for both our ceremony and reception. From the adorable upstairs for getting ready to the amazing outdoor space - the venue is gorgeous and we were so happy with everything.

Sent on 07/26/2019

Darlington House's reply:

Thank you so much for your kind words, Brittany! We are so happy that you chose Darlington House to be part of your special day.
  • Sara

Sara Nicole · Married on 05/18/2019

Stunning venue

After taking one look at Darlington House I knew it was the perfect location for our wedding day! I could not have pictured a more beautiful location for my wedding reception. All of our guests were raving about the the gorgeous courtyard, flowers and library and said it was the best weddings venue they had ever seen. We had 150 guests and a pretty large dance floor in the middle and we were extremely comfortable. Carly and staff did an AMAZING job making sure everything went smoothly. I cannot recommend Darlington House enough!!

Sent on 06/28/2019
    Darlington House 24
    Darlington House 25
    Darlington House 26
    Darlington House 27
    Darlington House 28

Darlington House's reply:

Thank you so much for your kind words, Sara. We are so happy that you made Darlington House a part of your beautiful wedding day!

Lisa · Married on 04/12/2018

Amazing venue! Recently had my wedding at the Darlington House and couldn’t have more more pleased with our decision! Carly was always happy to answer any questions that came up during the planning process and helped us feel at home in the venue during walk through with vendors. The location was amazing, especially if you’re looking for more of a vintage feel. The beauty and uniqueness of the house made for gorgeous pictures and was topic of conversation throughout the night. Thank you Darlington House for an amazing wedding!

Sent on 04/17/2018

Darlington House's reply:

Thank you so much for your kind words, Lisa! We are happy to hear that you and your guests had such a wonderful event.

Care · Married on 03/17/2018

Darlington House was as beautiful the day of our wedding as it was on the day of our first walk-through. Stunning gardens, beautiful home. This venue appealed to all of my guests - regardless of age. During the cocktail hour, the older generation loved sitting inside by the fire while the younger crowd socialized on the patio. Easy space to entertain 160 people for dinner and dancing!

Sent on 09/02/2018

Kristen · Married on 07/16/2016

I am so happy that I chose this venue! I wanted a place for my guests that would be private, charming, and sophisticated- Darlington was all of these qualities and I still keep getting compliments from my guests.

Sent on 11/14/2016

Nicole · Married on 05/21/2016

As a wedding planner, there was no question that I knew that the Darlington was going to be the perfect fit when it finally came time for my big day! It didn't take much convincing for my fiance (now husband) to agree that it fit our laid back personalities, would be able to create the perfect private and historic ambiance, and provide us with the flexibility to make it our own. Their staff is so friendly, professional, and accommodating which I appreciate as a wedding vendor myself! The property is very well kept and I love that they recently renovated their back patio, it is so beautiful, lush, and green. I have a wedding there for a client this Friday and couldn't be more excited to work there again!

Sent on 11/02/2016

Nadia · Married on 05/06/2016

The staff at the Darlington House were very kind and accommodating throughout the entire planning process. The venue itself is beautiful and was just perfect for the look and feel that my husband and I wanted for our wedding. There was really no need to spend any money on decorations because the grounds are already quite lovely. They take great care of the site, and make sure that everything looks great on your special day.

Sent on 12/13/2016

Christine · Married on 11/13/2015

Hello, Our daughter, Stephanie and her husband Trevor Welsh were married at the Darlington House on Friday, November 13, 2015. Summer was so helpful and sweet, a big thank you to her. I had the pleasure of talking with Marie, Jan and Nanette on the night of the wedding and had to tell them how much we loved the property for the wedding. Our guests were very impressed with the house and grounds. I loved how we were able to utilize the areas for our needs. Just beautiful. I told the ladies that our wedding felt so unique and special to us even though I know there are weddings held there probably every weekend.
    Thank you for opening the Darlington House to us. We enjoyed every minute of it and we will all be talking about the Welsh wedding for years to come!

Fondly,
    Christine Huey

Sent on 12/19/2015

Hi Christine,

Thank you for your kind words! We are so happy you chose Darlington House to be a part of Stephanie and Trevor's special day. You all were wonderful to work with! Best wishes to you and the family!

Sincerely,
    Your Darlington House Team

Melissa · Married on 08/16/2015

The Darlington House is amazing! From the start, they were very professional in making arrangements. They do this often and it shows...all of my vendors had worked with them previously which made planning very simple. And the night of the wedding was spectacular (5pm wedding with reception following). The rose garden is unbelievable at night. My guests were gushing about how elegant the reception was. I would recommend extra "up" lighting around the foliage...it really creates a magical feel. From start to finish, The Darlington House was a fabulous experience.

Sent on 12/22/2015

Hi Melissa,

Thank you for your review! We are so happy you and your guests enjoyed Darlington House! Wonderful to hear the planning was simple due to our amazing vendors. Congratulations to you and Marc!
    -Your Darlington House Team

Tina-Marie · Married on 10/25/2014

Thank you to all the professional representatives at The Darlngton House for being attentive, mindful and devoted to the organization of my wedding. This venue was spectacular to say the least with existing twinkling lights surrounding the property. The venue is meant for a true fairytale romance. It was more than my guests could ever imagine. True to the 1920s era this properties positive energy creates a vibe that ripples through the grounds. I highly recommend the staff and The Darlington House for your gathering. The venues ambience is undoubtedly peaceful, breathtaking and has a flair for glitz and glamour. Rest assured your guests will remember your event if you host it at this beautiful property.

Sent on 02/18/2015

Darlington House's reply:

Thank you Tina-Marie for the kind words about Darlington House and our staff! You were a pleasure to work with and we wish you all the best!

-Your Darlington House Staff

Such a gorgeous location. Our wedding was at the end of March when the flowers were in bloom. Staff were very helpful and friendly. We highly recommend this venue!

Sent on 07/05/2014

ANTHONY · Married on 10/27/2013

BEAUTIFUL VENUE. IT MADE MY DAUGHTER'S WEDDING PERFECT

Sent on 03/03/2014

Taryn · Married on 09/28/2013

I found the Darlington House and fell in love! It was exactly what we were looking for. Romantic and Intimate it felt like we were getting married at a family home. All the staff was extremely helpful and friendly and because my fiance was in the military we also got a great discount. I wish I could get married there again!

Sent on 11/26/2013

Every single one of our wedding guests commented on how amazing this venue was! I wanted a destination feel for my wedding even though we live in San Diego and the Spanish courtyards were perfect!

Sent on 09/09/2013
  • User3205742 · 2+ years ago

My fiance and I wanted a wedding venue that was not a hotel and that had a lot of character. The Darlington House was the perfect choice. We had about 75 guests, which we thought may be too small of a wedding for the venue, but everything turned out better than we could have anticipated. We had the ceremony in the Egyptian patio, which has a beautiful water fountain Mrs. Darlington curated from Egypt (hence, the name of the patio). The cocktail hour was held in the Andulusian Patio, and the bar was located in the Library, which is the most charming and interesting rooms in the Darlington House. The reception was held in the Rose Garden, which had a great, charming ambiance and perfectly accommodated the size of our wedding.

The Darlington House required more planning and work as you would have to bring in all the vendors (they do provide you a long list of required caterers), but it was absolutely worth it. With the right vendors, all you have to do is highlight the natural and history beauty of the Darlington House to make it the wedding venue of yours dreams. One thing worth noting is that we hired valet service, which our guests really appreciated since there is no commercial lot in that area, and street parking is quite limited.

The venue is located in a residential area in downtown La Jolla, about a few block from the beach. Our wedding was on the earlier side (ceremony began at 3:30pm) as the municipal code would not allow outdoor noise/music after 10:00pm. The time restriction was not a problem for us at all, and our guests thought the venue was beautiful.

Sent on 04/18/2013

Lisa · Married on 10/05/2012

The Darlington House is one of my favorite venues in San Diego! I'm so glad I chose to have my wedding in such a beautiful, intimate space. Since my own wedding, I've been lucky enough to plan weddings there throughout the years and even attend a few wedding as a guest ;) It never gets old... I love the Darlington House :)

Sent on 12/22/2015

Lisa,

Thank you for the review! We love working with Wedding By Lisa Nicole and whenever we do, we know our clients are in excellent hands! Looking forward to another wonderful year -Your Darlington House Team

Monica · Married on 04/06/2012

Absolutely LOVE this venue. We couldn't have picked a more perfect place.

Sent on 06/21/2012

Artie · Married on 11/06/2011

What a perfect Venue for our special day... We still talk about how nice it was and professional everyone were. Thanks to everyone who helped us there...

Sent on 11/30/2011

Liliana · Married on 10/22/2010

This is a fantastic venue that demands respect. It is a historic home just a few blocks from the beach in La Jolla. If you are looking for a classy, romantic venue that will be the perfect background for your pictures, this is the place. Parking can be an issue and music must stop rather early but it is well worth it. In addition, proceeds help the elderly so you are helping a good cause. The staff is warm, helpful and professional.

Sent on 01/17/2011
  • liesel

Annaliese · Married on 08/07/2010

The Darlington house was a great venue....it really matched the look and feel we were going for. The staff is friendly and always open to having you come in and take a look and walk around. Emily, the site coordinator for events is super professional and is straightforward. The best part for me and my husband is that the money you use to pay for renting the place, goes to the "Social Service League" which houses low income seniors in the apartments right next door. So your money goes to a good cause...AND...they event make sure to tell you to claim it on your taxes!!

They were ver accomodating with timing issues and start time issues we had. Terry was very willing to accomodate and understood my concerns. Emily let us bring our stuff in a day early.There is a docent there that makes sure that people are complying with the house rules and kids dont break anything....This was actually really nice to have them there

There are a ton of rooms that people can gather in...we made one a babysitting room and the other room people used for drinking thier tea/coffee. The library housed the bar.....it was truly a nice set up and very unique

Tips:
    your reception cant go past 10pm...so think about that.
    and also they open the doors 30 min prior to your start time but your catering services/alcohol has to start at your actual start time not at that "30 min" prior mark
    Parking might be an issue. It wasnt for us, but it depends on time of year and time of day.

Sent on 09/15/2010

Jeanette · Married on 09/12/2015

I had my dream wedding at Darlington House! The place was elegant and the staff kind and helpful.

Sent on 12/15/2015
  • Ashlea

Ashlea · Married on 06/16/2014

Where do I even start with this breathtaking venue?! I knew the moment I stepped onto the premises that this would be the “the one.” My husband (then-fiancé) and I wanted a location where we could house the ceremony, cocktail hour and reception in one place while still having an intimate feel. The Darlington House, being a historic estate, did just that and more as it exuded warmth and charm along the way.

There are several rules along with the booking of the house, which a few brides may not be down with, but I ran into absolutely no problems. There is a noise ordinance, since everything is held outdoors, but my DJ (DJ Phreek Music and Lighting) did an amazing job at keeping within the limits and still pumping the dance floor up. There are also some limitations on the caterers and the time the wedding must end, but I found the venue’s list of caterers to be extensive and fantastic and the 10pm end time was perfect for my guests!

There really is no way to capture the true essence of The Darlington House just by looking at pictures, so I recommend you go for a site visit or if you can’t, try to take a look at any cinematic films from a wedding held at the space. The pictures from ANY wedding at this venue are gorgeous but in person you can hear the birds chirping, feel the slight ocean breeze, smell the bounty of flowers and feel the tinge of magic from the grounds of the estate.

I absolutely loved The Darlington House (if you can’t already tell) and I received many compliments from guests who said they felt as if they were in a movie during the whole wedding! If you are looking for an intimate, non-cookie cutter space that is oozing with character, this is most certainly the venue for you – I couldn’t have imagined my wedding anywhere else!

Sent on 07/30/2014

Clare · Married on 03/31/2018

Amazingly beautiful venue, and great service/support. This place was stunning and our guests (and we) loved it. Rules are a bit constrictive and could stand to be relaxed a bit, but given the historic beauty and surroundings, I understand why they are in place.

Sent on 04/05/2018