27 Reviews for Commander's Mansion

Covered Outdoor (4)
Tables (4)
Event Rentals (1)
27 Commander's Mansion Reviews

Beautiful location for our wedding. Easy to work with and were as flexible as possible - it's a city-owned property so there are some restrictions built in, but the staff is up front with everything and it was easy to work around those. Ample parking for guests and easy to get to from Boston.

Profile Picture Alison, 10/7/17, 4 Reviews
Services Used: Tents, Bridal Suite, Uncovered Outdoor, Parking

I can’t imagine a better place to have a wedding than Commander’s Mansion. It was the only venue we looked at and we knew from the moment we stepped in it was perfect. Victoria was amazing to work with and made us feel at ease and supported through the entire process. The best thing about the mansion is that it provided variety while being all in one location. We were able to do our ceremony out in the arbor (which is GORGEOUS in the summer/fall), the cocktail hour inside the mansion and the reception out in the tent. That allowed us to keep things interesting without dealing with the headache of transporting our guests to multiple places. Commander’s Mansion is definitely a phenomenal place to have your wedding!

Profile Picture Dana, 9/1/17, 4 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Bridal Suite, Chairs, Furniture, Tables, Tents, Covered Outdoor, Indoor, Uncovered Outdoor, Parking
4.2

This gorgeous venue is a hidden gem in the Boston area, an incredible value for the price! We loved the flexibility and variety of all the different indoor and outdoor spaces around the property. The patio tent looked very elegant. The property is spacious, comfortable, and accessible.

Profile Picture Bristol, 8/20/17, 2 Reviews
4.7

The Commander's Mansion was a dream come true. The staff was professional, accommodating and experienced. The Commander's Mansion is so unique and it provided a great experience for our guests.

Profile Picture Amanda, 8/4/17, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Commander's Mansion was everything we were looking for in a Boston-area venue for our mid-July wedding! Near the airport, lots of good hotels nearby, flexibility on timing and vendors (which was especially helpful in keeping alcohol costs down), and big/beautiful grounds so that different parts of the wedding could occur in different locations. We had a little trouble getting in touch initially, but everything was smooth sailing after that. We held a picnic event for our guests at the mansion the day before our wedding, and then had our ceremony (grape arbor)/cocktail hour (indoor/outdoor)/reception (tent in the back with a permanent brick floor) at the venue the following day. It was perfect for everything. The mansion is well air conditioned, which is a game changer during the summer so guests can cool off during the cocktail hour. The grape arbor was lush and beautiful for the ceremony. And the fact that we didn't have to pay separately for the reception tent made it a much more affordable venue. Would highly recommend the Commander's Mansion!

Profile Picture Brittany, 7/22/17, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Uncovered Outdoor, Tents, Bridal Suite, Parking, Wheelchair Access
4.7

The Commander's Mansion is such a beautiful and versatile venue, and we are so happy to have had our wedding there. The staff was always very friendly, and worked hard to make sure our big day was everything we hoped it could be. It was such a positive overall experience and we would recommend it to anyone looking in the area for any variety of events!

Profile Picture Mary, 10/15/16, 4 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Parking, Wheelchair Access, Bridal Suite, Covered Outdoor, Indoor, Uncovered Outdoor, Chairs, Furniture, Tents

We got married at Commander's Mansion last month and couldn't have asked for a more beautiful venue. When my husband and I started looking at venues, we fell in love instantly with the Mansion. We loved that we were able to have the ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception in three different places so that our guests could appreciate all the venue had to offer. We started out working with Casey, who was wonderful, and after she left our main contact person was Tammy, who was also great. At times, it did seem like we had to email or call a couple of times before we received a response, but during the week leading up to the wedding, they responded more quickly. Our only disappointment was that you have to pay extra for any time over 8 hours. This made getting ready at the mansion as we had hoped, out of our budget. Overall, a beautiful venue that feels like you're farther from the city than you really are!

Profile Picture Molly, 6/18/16, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Furniture, Tents, Parking, Wheelchair Access, Bridal Suite, Uncovered Outdoor

An absolutely gorgeous venue. Lots of space, so no one feels crowd. Beautifully decorated already! The wonderful facilities managers are incredibly flexible (they even helped us move furniture around!) and responded to my millions of questions in a very timely fashion. I cannot recommend the Commander's Mansion enough. Additionally, the pricing cannot be beat. Would absolutely have another function here.

PS. There are two lovely rooms for the bride and groom to get ready and relax with their respective parties until the ceremony/reception. I felt like a queen!

Profile Picture Meredith, 10/9/15, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Indoor, Uncovered Outdoor, Parking, Wheelchair Access, Bridal Suite, Chairs, Furniture, Tables
3.4

Absolutely beautiful venue -- our guests were amazed, and the whole environment made our wedding really special. We had our ceremony in the arbor, cocktail hour in the house, and reception outside in the tent. The house and arbor are both spectacular. We are also Watertown residents, so we got a discount (I definitely recommend this venue for Watertown folks). It is on the grounds of Athena Health, so you might get a discount there if you work there (it is worth asking!).

Since this is a historic estate administered by the town, there are a lot of bureaucratic tasks that you will have to do yourself. ex: getting permits and such from the office in Watertown. We did feel that because of this the staff seemed to be working against us at times instead of with us. This is our first time getting married and my husband and I planned the entire wedding ourselves, so we needed a bit more guidance than the CM was willing to give. We also felt that they seemed to be working against our vendors at time too. That being said, they ended up being extremely flexible and friendly the week of the wedding, and the woman who was on staff the night of was helpful.

All in all I would definitely recommend this place due to the ambiance, but know that you might have more administrative challenges to overcome. I've never been married anywhere else, so maybe this is just how it is!

Profile Picture User5256275, 2+ years ago, 4 Reviews
Services Used: Indoor, Covered Outdoor

My wife and I got married at Commander's Mansion last summer, and everything about it was perfect! Casey, Tammy, and Charlene were so helpful as we figured out all of the details over many months--and our guests were blown away by how beautiful the house, the tent, the grape arbor, and the grounds are. It was everything we hoped for and more! We had such a wonderful day. If only we could do it all over again!

Profile Picture User6372767, 2+ years ago, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Chairs, Furniture, Tables, Tents, Parking, Wheelchair Access, Covered Outdoor, Indoor, Uncovered Outdoor, Bridal Suite, Event Rentals

We had our wedding at Commander's Mansion last month and could not have asked for a more unique, beautiful venue! Throughout the months leading up to the wedding, everyone was so flexible and really helped make the process as special as possible. Tammy is so sweet and terrific!

Profile Picture User3995338, 2+ years ago, 4 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Tammy & Rae were wonderful from start to finish. They can be hard to get ahold of sometimes, but coming up to the wedding day were very responsive, and before that I never had to be in touch more than once or twice before I got an answer. On the day of, Rae was very helpful in coordinating, there when you needed her but never intrusive.

The Mansion itself is a stunning location. When telling people that I was getting married there, they would often say that they had also attended a wedding at the Mansion and had a great time. The grounds and interior are beautiful, and hardly require any decorating at all for a memorable, beautiful night.

The price is one of the best points, as you can bring in all of your own vendors, there is no event minimum, and the venue being run by the city makes it very affordable. It should be mentioned that the Fire Marshal must approve all of your candle choices, and his standards are fairly strict, so that can be difficult. All in all, though, I can't imagine having gotten married anywhere else.

Profile Picture Emily, 11/8/14, 12 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Working with Tammy and Rae at the Commander's Mansion have been so excellent for our wedding. They answers all questions promptly and really go out of their way to meet all of our various requests for the reception. We are grateful for all of their help in the planning process.

The venue is classic New England and gorgeous and the tent now has a beautiful linen lining overhead. For all of that and proximity to the city, it is really the best value around!

Profile Picture Kara, 8/31/14, 6 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

This is a lovely venue and the staff (Tammy and Rae) are fantastic! I am so glad we held our wedding here. The indoor and outdoor options are priceless in case of poor weather.

Profile Picture Whitney, 7/5/14, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

This is quite possibly the best venue of all time. We had our wedding there in the beginning of June and it was so incredibly beautiful! They have a brides suite, grooms suite, you rent the house and can rent the tent as well. We had our ceremony in the garden which was magnificent. Its awesome how its set in its own little area, so the wedding feels so intimate. Aside from the venue itself, Rae and Tammy are just two incredible people. They're so responsive, helpful, and flexible. I left clothes there on my wedding day and they MAILED it to me without even thinking twice! Who else would do that?!?! They went out of their way to help us in any way they could. I cant say enough good things about the Commanders Mansion- we were so incredibly happy we chose them!

Profile Picture User3216720, 2+ years ago, 10 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We had our wedding at the Commander's Mansion on Saturday May 31st. It was the most perfect day and the Commander's Mansion was the perfect venue. We worked most closely with Rae through the planning process. She was always lovely and quick to respond. She helped to guide me through the planning and allowed me to visit the mansion as much as I wanted in order to show our parents, vendors, etc. On our wedding day, we had the rooms upstairs for the wedding party to take photographs and relax while the guests arrived. We had our ceremony in the grape arbor, the cocktail hour on the first floor of the house and the reception under the tent on the patio. We got so many compliments on how elegant, classy and fun our venue was. We also definitely saved on flowers by choosing such a beautiful venue. We didn't need any flowers for the ceremony, as the arbor is beautiful on it's own. We hardly needed any flowers for cocktail hour because the house is so ornate and beautifully decorated. We also were pleasantly surprised to find out they had upgraded the tent with beautiful drapery, which looked gorgeous. I would highly recommend the Commander's Mansion as a beautiful, unique venue.

Profile Picture margaret, 5/31/14, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Talk about going above and beyond! I knew I wanted the elegance of this venue for my wedding after I took a tour. Tammy and Rae were so helpful and flexible, and answered my many, many emails. They worked closely with my other vendors to create a seamless event that was absolutely magical.

The Mansion was decorated to the nines for the holiday season, and so many guests mentioned to me that it was the most beautiful and elegant wedding they had ever been to. Each room was radiant with light and decor, and we moved with ease through all the different rooms, set up so we could enjoy a photobooth in one room, cake and dessert in another, and dinner in another.

One bonus about this venue is that if you're a Watertown resident they will offer you a discount. We also booked off season and got a better rate. Lastly, there is plenty of free and convenient parking for this venue.

I am sure that it is gorgeous in any season, but it was especially warm, cozy and sophisticated for our December wedding. We will never forget our special night there, with the snow falling outside, and feeling at home with our loved ones in the Commander's Mansion.

Profile Picture Stephanie, 12/14/13, 3 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We loved the commanders mansion! This place was absolutely perfect. It had ambiance, character and a layout that I truly desired. So many times you go to a wedding and it is just one giant ball room, not for me. I wanted intimacy, elegance and more importantly I didn't want my guests to have to yell over the music. To note, I wanted a dance floor! The Commanders Mansion offered everything I was looking for, and at a reasonable price for "Boston" area. The staff was incredible as well, they made us feel so special. I adore Tammy. To note my husband and I were married almost 2 years ago and our guests still talk about our wedding. I am a bit of a perfectionist so this always gives me great pleasure. The first room downstairs on the left, we kept the French Doors open and had our DJ in there and setup high cocktail rounds for the Hors D'ouvres for cocktail hour. We had setup the bar in the study to the left so it was more private but accessible and guests could step out from there on the side patio. Dinner was served upstairs in each of the rooms and it offered elegance, ambiance and intimacy that I truly loved. It was meticulously done and guests mentioned they felt so special like they were out for fine dinning. Our caterers Forklift Catering did an awesome job with this. After dinner we resumed downstairs for dancing, drinks etc. One of the rooms upstairs was transformed to a lounge, it offered guests a quiet space to play board games, have a scotch and sit and chat. We also used part of the main room downstairs to have the sofa's placed so guests could sit and watch dancing while the other have of the room was reserved for dancing. Again, this is where the bar was fabulous because it was off in another room, guests could mingle and not compete with our awesome DJ. Our wedding photos were stunning because this place has so much history and stature. Book here you will be so delighted.

Profile Picture Nicole, 10/5/13, 3 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We had our ceremony in the arbor and our reception inside the Commander's Mansion. We were absolutely thrilled with the venue! Our goal was to have a wedding that felt very classic New England, but also throw a fun party. We also wanted a place where our guests could fly into Logan and not drive too far. (We had people stay in Harvard Square, which is only 10 miles away.) We got everything we wanted with the CM! Tammy and Rae, the CM coordinators, were VERY helpful during all the planning. We live on the west coast and were planning our wedding remotely. I had tons of questions and they both quickly returned emails and were always eager to help. I did a bunch of research on venues in the area and the site fee for the CM was right in line with what other places cost. The beautiful thing is that you can pick your vendors (from an extensive list). I didn't like it that at a lot of the other venues we looked at, we got locked into certain vendors, especially the caterer. The CM really wants you to have the wedding that you want. I really appreciated that! They also have a good deal going with Gordon's Liquors down the street. They supply the alcohol and you can return what you don't drink. (This definitely saved us money and the CM took care of the drop off/pick up coordination.) Being able to use the entire house is also a huge bonus. We had an hors d'oeuvres only reception and scattered tables around on both floors. There was lots of mingling. We did a slideshow in one room upstairs and a photo-booth in another. After the wedding, people really raved about being able to roam around so much. The rooms are all really gorgeous so, outside of flowers, there was very little "decorating" that we even needed to do and it still felt very elegant. We even utilized the outside porch for speeches. I knew that we'd made the right decision by selecting the Commander's Mansion, but it really did exceed all my expectations!

Profile Picture Abby, 9/15/12, 6 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The Commander's Mansion is an absolutely stunning venue but what makes it so special is the staff. My wedding was set to take place on August 28th with the ceremony in the outdoor grape arbor and the reception under the tent. Unfortunately Hurricane Irene had different plans for us. Two days before our wedding we had to figure out how to take all of our outdoor events and make them indoors. Tammy and Rae went above and beyond the call of duty. They helped us rearrange seating, they took care of redoing the order we had placed with the rental company and they even opened the mansion extra early for us so we didn’t have to be in the rain at all that day. I can’t say enough about how absolutely wonderful they are. If you want to know that you will be 100% taken care of no matter what (even a hurricane) then you must use this venue!

Profile Picture Jessica, 8/28/11, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The Commander's Mansion was the perfect venue. The staff were amazing and accommodating. Between the lovely grape arbor and the beautiful interior, we were able to make our wedding the best day of our lives.

Profile Picture Sara, 10/23/10, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We stumbled on the Commander's Mansion one day when we lived in Watertown and got lost on the way to Panera. It's a unique, beautiful venue, and everyone told us how much they loved it, and they appreciated being able to wander around inside and out, and not be stuck in one room the whole day. We did not have our ceremony here, but we did utilize the grounds for photos, and we had the reception inside the mansion, which helped force us to keep our guest list small, since the ballrooms only hold 88 people, tops (we had 84 and it was a little tight).

Our communication leading up to the event was fabulous, and Rae was so sweet and responsive. She told us about the Watertown resident discount, which saved us 20%, and all we needed was a "sponsor" who lived in Watertown. She was also very quick to respond to emails and help me with layout and logistics ideas. We also met Tammy a couple days before the wedding, and she was equally sweet and helpful.

However, on the day of the wedding we had a different staff person working our event, which disappointed me a bit, since we had worked so closely with Rae. This other staff person couldn't figure out the A/C, so I was stuck upstairs in the sweltering heat getting ready. Then at the end of the night, we were the only ones left (my husband, my parents and I) and we were looking for her to thank her for her help, and she was nowhere to be found. When we did find her, I told her that my husband was upstairs looking for her, and she says "yeah, well I was cleaning up vomit in the bathroom, so oh well". Ok, sorry that one of my guests got sick, but, um... really? I'm in my wedding dress, and you're going to complain about vomit? It just seemed like she didn't need to complain to the bride. She also told us we weren't allowed to bring the leftover alcohol with us that night, which was about 6 or 7 half-full bottles, and that we'd have to come back on Tuesday to get it. Well, my husband went to pick it up on Tuesday, and it was all gone. Not that it's a big deal, but it was just the third in a string of behavior that was so different from what my planning process with the mansion had been like.

Overall, I would absolutely recommend the mansion, as it is a beautiful spot, and very unique.

Profile Picture Rachel, 5/24/09, 5 Reviews
3.8

This venue is definitely a hidden gem and everyone truly enjoyed the reception. The mansion is run by the city of Watertown and does suffer from a few bureaucratic snags: I found that communication was key! Although you can bring in all your own vendors make sure you ask permission from the Mansion before you book them! Compared to other like venues in Massachusetts, this home is much better preserved and offers a lot more flexibility and is very close to downtown Boston.

Profile Picture Jennifer, 10/12/08, 6 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Rae and Tammy were very nice and easy going and helped us figure out how to plan and setup the events of the day. They worked with our financial situation. everyone had a great time and loved the location of the wedding. I would definitely recommend this place.

Profile Picture Suz, 8/16/08, 7 Reviews