Commander's Mansion Reviews

Commander's Mansion 5
  • Melissa

Melissa · Married on 10/05/2019

A perfect wedding venue!

We were obsessed with the Commander’s Mansion from the minute we took our first tour. The mansion itself is gorgeous and a perfect setting for photos and cocktails. We had our reception in the tent behind the mansion, which was a perfect setting for dinner and lots of dancing!

Tammy was fantastic to work with! She was incredibly responsive and made our day feel so special and personal to us. We couldn’t have asked for a more perfect setting for our specula day!

Commander's Mansion 6
    Commander's Mansion 7
    Commander's Mansion 8
    Commander's Mansion 9
    Commander's Mansion 10
    Commander's Mansion 11
    Sent on 10/08/2019

Commander's Mansion's reply:

Thank you Melissa for taking the time to review the Commander's Mansion! We appreciate your love of the mansion and your kind words. Best wishes for many joyous days ahead!
  • Elizabeth

Elizabeth Rioux · Married on 08/24/2019

Excellent venue

Very happy with my choice of venue! The Commander's Mansion was a beautiful site and the use of the grape arbor, mansion, and tent worked out perfectly. I wanted to be sure we chose a venue accessible for wheelchairs and elderly guests, and this fit the bill, especially since the tent has solid brick underfoot rather than grass. Tammy was easy to work with and made planning a breeze. The rental fee was reasonable compared to other venues in the area, and the list of catering options was extensive enough to create real competition - we had no problem finding one we liked without spending a mint. Getting liquor from Gordon's was also a steal compared to some of the quotes I received from other venues that require beverage packages. All in all I wanted flexibility to shop around for vendors instead of having everything dictated in-house by the venue (where they'll also dictate the price, and it won't come cheap!). The Commander's Mansion was perfect.

Sent on 09/28/2019

Commander's Mansion's reply:

We are so pleased that you chose us to host your big celebration! Thank you very much for the lovely and informative review. It really does make a difference to hear client feedback...both for us and for new potential clients. Best wishes!

Lisa Bartlett · Married on 07/20/2019

Stunning Venue

Commander's Mansion is such a beautiful venue. Our summer wedding pictures were stunning with the Commander's Mansion grounds as the backdrop. We had great communication with Gina and Tammy leading up to the wedding and all of their recommended vendors were a pleasure to work with as well! Gina and Tammy coordinated with all of the vendors to make sure everything went smoothly the day of and keep our stress levels down. I highly recommend this venue for a wedding or any other special event.

Sent on 10/16/2019

Commander's Mansion's reply:

Thank you Lisa for taking time to review us! It was a pleasure working with you and your guests. We are happy to see that you love the mansion as much as we do. Take care!
  • Laura

Laura · Married on 06/15/2019

Perfect venue for garden party wedding

We felt so fortunate to find this hidden gem of a venue in Watertown! You have access to the entire historic home and grounds when you book your wedding here. The coordinators work with you to format your perfect day, whether you want to have an indoor or outdoor ceremony/cocktail hour, or if you want to use their beautiful tent for the reception. Our guests raved about all the natural beauty of the grounds, and the exquisite interior of the home. Keep in mind, this is just a venue. Meaning, you are responsible for hiring all outside vendors (food, music, flowers, bartenders/servers, day of coordination), which can be a lot more work than other venues, but it also allows for more flexibility. Gina and Tammy were always available by e-mail and easy to communicate with! The venue also hosts an annual wedding showcase every spring, which was super fun and is were we found many of our vendors!

Sent on 07/15/2019

Commander's Mansion's reply:

It is so nice to hear that you had a wonderful experience working with us and that you consider the mansion to be a gem! We are so glad that you chose the house as your venue...also thanks for reminding potential clients that we don't provide everything (food, service, etc) in house. Best wishes!

Melissa · Married on 06/01/2019

Dream(y) venue right outside of Boston

We had our eye on the Commander's Mansion since before we got engaged! Going to the open house was such a coup for not only touring the venue extensively, but also meeting fantastic vendors, most of whom we ended up working with. The venue is well-priced for the greater Boston area, and the flexibility of vendor choice helps to make the day more affordable!

Working with Tammy and Gina was a total joy as we neared our wedding day. They both were very helpful and responsive in all of our questions and communications, as well as in coordination with our caterer. Everything ran very smoothly on the actual day, something I am very thankful for, as I had to let go of all control that day!

The outdoor grape arbor for the ceremony, perfectly bloomed in early June, is truly what made the venue for me. Our guests loved the history of the mansion as everyone mingled during cocktail hour. The tented reception space was perfect for our size, and allowed for a large dancing space! Truly a 3-in-1 venue across all spaces.

Sent on 07/08/2019

Commander's Mansion's reply:

Thanks Melissa for taking the time to review the Mansion and our team on Wedding Wire! We really appreciate all the feedback highlighting what you liked about our venue. Take care!

Meg Mackenzie · Married on 10/06/2018

A gem of a venue

My daughter got married October 6th and had their reception at the Commanders Mansion. It was a spectacular fall day with the grounds looking beautiful and the tent beautifully set up for dinner. The cocktail hour was set up inside the mansion and then dinner and dancing occurred under the tent. The planning for this day was well over a year and we are so grateful to Tammy, Victoria and Char...…. for their assistance, flexibility and support in experiencing this wonderful event.

Last minute questions or requests were met with "sure; whatever we can do to help."
    Many guests still comment as to the uniqueness of the venue and how memorable it was. We had close to 200 guests and had plenty of room to dance and socialize. I'm just sorry it is over but I know many more people who select the Commanders Mansion for any event won't be disappointed

Sent on 11/06/2018

Masha · Married on 08/12/2018

We just got married at the Commander's Mansion on 8/12/2018. We had set our sites on the mansion from the very beginning as we knew we wanted to get married in a historic house that would be easy for our guests to get to. The Commander's Mansion has it all: a gorgeous outdoor ceremony spot, a tent already up that you can rent for the party, and a spacious historic interior -- all within 20 mins' drive from downtown Boston. Tammy and Victoria were very helpful, doing a walk-through with us and the caterer a few weeks before the wedding and helping us with the seating chart and table/chair order. They also very generously allowed us to drop off the wedding decorations a few days before the wedding. When chaos struck early on the day of our wedding (rain and a flat tire for the bride's mother), Tammy was the calm in the eye of the storm, ensuring that our ceremony was set up inside the tent without a glitch. The bridal suite and upstairs rooms provide ample space for the bridal party to get dressed and set up. We could not recommend this venue more highly! --Josh and Masha

Sent on 08/20/2018

Rekha · Married on 08/11/2018

Our first decision as an engaged couple was to get married here! We actually met our wedding planner for the first time at the Commander's annual showcase last March. All of our vendors were so thrilled to hear we were getting married there. The venue is stunning, and very convenient for guests (just a ten-minute drive from Harvard Square, and the Residence Inn is virtually across the street). The Mansion somehow managed to be both the most flexible venue we saw (in terns of vendor selection) as well as the least expensive. We hope to be back soon :-)

Sent on 10/11/2018

Hi Rekha & Will,
    Thank you for the sweet words. We had so much fun with you both through your planning process, please come back anytime!

Lynn · Married on 07/06/2018

Never looked at any other venues! After attending a friend's wedding at the Commander's Mansion I knew it would be an excellent choice for our big day too. The venue offers beautiful backdrops indoor and out, is formal but relaxed, and the price for a Friday daytime ceremony and reception suited our small budget nicely. I recommend attending the annual Wedding Fair in March if you can - it was an excellent way to get to know all of the caterers and other vendors. I loved that all of them had worked at the venue before and had an excellent relationship with the ladies at the Mansion. It made planning that much less stressful knowing I was in good hands. Would highly recommend this venue to anyone looking for simple elegance and a savvy team. Great value for the Boston area!

Commander's Mansion 12
    Sent on 09/29/2018

Commander's Mansion's reply:

Lynn, it was our pleasure to host your wedding! Thank you for sharing your experience with us and our vendor friends. You are always welcome to come back, don't be a stranger! XOXO Tammy & Victoria

Nick · Married on 11/14/2015

We were so lucky to find the Commander's Mansion for our wedding ceremony and reception venue. The space and service provided was truly exceptional. We loved that we could customize the space for what we wanted and the Commander's Mansion was very accommodating with everything. Casey was especially helpful and knowledgeable of the space and wedding planning in general. We were very lucky to have her assistance with so many aspects of the event. I would recommend (and have already) the Commander's Mansion for anyone looking for a location to host their ceremony and/or reception (or any kind of event).

Sent on 03/28/2016

Meredith · Married on 10/09/2015

An absolutely gorgeous venue. Lots of space, so no one feels crowd. Beautifully decorated already! The wonderful facilities managers are incredibly flexible (they even helped us move furniture around!) and responded to my millions of questions in a very timely fashion. I cannot recommend the Commander's Mansion enough. Additionally, the pricing cannot be beat. Would absolutely have another function here.

PS. There are two lovely rooms for the bride and groom to get ready and relax with their respective parties until the ceremony/reception. I felt like a queen!

Sent on 02/17/2016

Kara · Married on 08/31/2014

Working with Tammy and Rae at the Commander's Mansion have been so excellent for our wedding. They answers all questions promptly and really go out of their way to meet all of our various requests for the reception. We are grateful for all of their help in the planning process.

The venue is classic New England and gorgeous and the tent now has a beautiful linen lining overhead. For all of that and proximity to the city, it is really the best value around!

Sent on 09/22/2014

This is quite possibly the best venue of all time. We had our wedding there in the beginning of June and it was so incredibly beautiful! They have a brides suite, grooms suite, you rent the house and can rent the tent as well. We had our ceremony in the garden which was magnificent. Its awesome how its set in its own little area, so the wedding feels so intimate. Aside from the venue itself, Rae and Tammy are just two incredible people. They're so responsive, helpful, and flexible. I left clothes there on my wedding day and they MAILED it to me without even thinking twice! Who else would do that?!?! They went out of their way to help us in any way they could. I cant say enough good things about the Commanders Mansion- we were so incredibly happy we chose them!

Sent on 06/17/2014

margaret · Married on 05/31/2014

We had our wedding at the Commander's Mansion on Saturday May 31st. It was the most perfect day and the Commander's Mansion was the perfect venue. We worked most closely with Rae through the planning process. She was always lovely and quick to respond. She helped to guide me through the planning and allowed me to visit the mansion as much as I wanted in order to show our parents, vendors, etc. On our wedding day, we had the rooms upstairs for the wedding party to take photographs and relax while the guests arrived. We had our ceremony in the grape arbor, the cocktail hour on the first floor of the house and the reception under the tent on the patio. We got so many compliments on how elegant, classy and fun our venue was. We also definitely saved on flowers by choosing such a beautiful venue. We didn't need any flowers for the ceremony, as the arbor is beautiful on it's own. We hardly needed any flowers for cocktail hour because the house is so ornate and beautifully decorated. We also were pleasantly surprised to find out they had upgraded the tent with beautiful drapery, which looked gorgeous. I would highly recommend the Commander's Mansion as a beautiful, unique venue.

Sent on 07/22/2014

Stephanie · Married on 12/14/2013

Talk about going above and beyond! I knew I wanted the elegance of this venue for my wedding after I took a tour. Tammy and Rae were so helpful and flexible, and answered my many, many emails. They worked closely with my other vendors to create a seamless event that was absolutely magical.

The Mansion was decorated to the nines for the holiday season, and so many guests mentioned to me that it was the most beautiful and elegant wedding they had ever been to. Each room was radiant with light and decor, and we moved with ease through all the different rooms, set up so we could enjoy a photobooth in one room, cake and dessert in another, and dinner in another.

One bonus about this venue is that if you're a Watertown resident they will offer you a discount. We also booked off season and got a better rate. Lastly, there is plenty of free and convenient parking for this venue.

I am sure that it is gorgeous in any season, but it was especially warm, cozy and sophisticated for our December wedding. We will never forget our special night there, with the snow falling outside, and feeling at home with our loved ones in the Commander's Mansion.

Sent on 01/11/2014

Nicole · Married on 10/05/2013

We loved the commanders mansion! This place was absolutely perfect. It had ambiance, character and a layout that I truly desired. So many times you go to a wedding and it is just one giant ball room, not for me. I wanted intimacy, elegance and more importantly I didn't want my guests to have to yell over the music. To note, I wanted a dance floor! The Commanders Mansion offered everything I was looking for, and at a reasonable price for "Boston" area. The staff was incredible as well, they made us feel so special. I adore Tammy. To note my husband and I were married almost 2 years ago and our guests still talk about our wedding. I am a bit of a perfectionist so this always gives me great pleasure. The first room downstairs on the left, we kept the French Doors open and had our DJ in there and setup high cocktail rounds for the Hors D'ouvres for cocktail hour. We had setup the bar in the study to the left so it was more private but accessible and guests could step out from there on the side patio. Dinner was served upstairs in each of the rooms and it offered elegance, ambiance and intimacy that I truly loved. It was meticulously done and guests mentioned they felt so special like they were out for fine dinning. Our caterers Forklift Catering did an awesome job with this. After dinner we resumed downstairs for dancing, drinks etc. One of the rooms upstairs was transformed to a lounge, it offered guests a quiet space to play board games, have a scotch and sit and chat. We also used part of the main room downstairs to have the sofa's placed so guests could sit and watch dancing while the other have of the room was reserved for dancing. Again, this is where the bar was fabulous because it was off in another room, guests could mingle and not compete with our awesome DJ. Our wedding photos were stunning because this place has so much history and stature. Book here you will be so delighted.

Sent on 06/08/2016

Abby · Married on 09/15/2012

We had our ceremony in the arbor and our reception inside the Commander's Mansion. We were absolutely thrilled with the venue! Our goal was to have a wedding that felt very classic New England, but also throw a fun party. We also wanted a place where our guests could fly into Logan and not drive too far. (We had people stay in Harvard Square, which is only 10 miles away.) We got everything we wanted with the CM! Tammy and Rae, the CM coordinators, were VERY helpful during all the planning. We live on the west coast and were planning our wedding remotely. I had tons of questions and they both quickly returned emails and were always eager to help. I did a bunch of research on venues in the area and the site fee for the CM was right in line with what other places cost. The beautiful thing is that you can pick your vendors (from an extensive list). I didn't like it that at a lot of the other venues we looked at, we got locked into certain vendors, especially the caterer. The CM really wants you to have the wedding that you want. I really appreciated that! They also have a good deal going with Gordon's Liquors down the street. They supply the alcohol and you can return what you don't drink. (This definitely saved us money and the CM took care of the drop off/pick up coordination.) Being able to use the entire house is also a huge bonus. We had an hors d'oeuvres only reception and scattered tables around on both floors. There was lots of mingling. We did a slideshow in one room upstairs and a photo-booth in another. After the wedding, people really raved about being able to roam around so much. The rooms are all really gorgeous so, outside of flowers, there was very little "decorating" that we even needed to do and it still felt very elegant. We even utilized the outside porch for speeches. I knew that we'd made the right decision by selecting the Commander's Mansion, but it really did exceed all my expectations!

Sent on 02/15/2013

Jessica · Married on 08/28/2011

The Commander's Mansion is an absolutely stunning venue but what makes it so special is the staff. My wedding was set to take place on August 28th with the ceremony in the outdoor grape arbor and the reception under the tent. Unfortunately Hurricane Irene had different plans for us. Two days before our wedding we had to figure out how to take all of our outdoor events and make them indoors. Tammy and Rae went above and beyond the call of duty. They helped us rearrange seating, they took care of redoing the order we had placed with the rental company and they even opened the mansion extra early for us so we didn’t have to be in the rain at all that day. I can’t say enough about how absolutely wonderful they are. If you want to know that you will be 100% taken care of no matter what (even a hurricane) then you must use this venue!

Sent on 09/16/2011

Sara · Married on 10/23/2010

The Commander's Mansion was the perfect venue. The staff were amazing and accommodating. Between the lovely grape arbor and the beautiful interior, we were able to make our wedding the best day of our lives.

Sent on 10/30/2010

Suz · Married on 08/16/2008

Rae and Tammy were very nice and easy going and helped us figure out how to plan and setup the events of the day. They worked with our financial situation. everyone had a great time and loved the location of the wedding. I would definitely recommend this place.

Sent on 04/29/2009

My wife and I got married at Commander's Mansion last summer, and everything about it was perfect! Casey, Tammy, and Charlene were so helpful as we figured out all of the details over many months--and our guests were blown away by how beautiful the house, the tent, the grape arbor, and the grounds are. It was everything we hoped for and more! We had such a wonderful day. If only we could do it all over again!

Sent on 02/17/2016

Katie · Married on 08/13/2005

Beautiful location offered us a chance to hold both our ceremony and reception outdoors. They allow you to bring your own caterer and we provided our own alcohol which saved us about $4000. The mansion itself is air conditioned and the grounds are beautiful. The staff was exceptionally responsive and helpful.

Sent on 10/21/2007

Katie · Married on 09/29/2018

The Perfect Venue!

We loved our wedding at The Commander's Mansion! It was the perfect venue for us and allows so much variety to your day without ever leaving the location. We had our ceremony in the grape arbor (which yes, grows real grapes!), cocktails inside the house, and a tented patio reception. I worked mainly with Victoria, and she was great to work with! I always got a reply within 2-3 business days, and she was very professional and thorough in the process. Commander's is a city-owned property, so there are a few rules regarding use of the property that you should fully discuss with the staff to make sure you're okay with them (bar time limits, use of the lawn, etc.) However, being that it's city-owned, you can avoid many of the miscellaneous taxes and fees that come with other wedding venues, which saves you so much! Also they pitch the tent for the whole wedding season and only charge a use fee, which saves SO much money when looking at tented receptions. Commander's was by far one of the best valued venues I looked at in the Boston area. We loved how close it was to the city, which was perfect for our out of town guests (about 20 min from Logan), and there's a brand new Residence Inn essentially across the street. What I liked best about Commander's, was that you can pick your own vendors for almost everything. This helped us save a lot of money, while also choosing vendors that we connected more with. It does add a little more work to your plate as the bride (picking each vendor vs. having one chosen for you, such as catering), but I found it fun to meet with different vendors and sample food! Overall, we had a wonderful experience with Commander's and highly recommend them as a wedding venue.

Sent on 10/15/2018

Alison · Married on 10/07/2017

Beautiful location for our wedding. Easy to work with and were as flexible as possible - it's a city-owned property so there are some restrictions built in, but the staff is up front with everything and it was easy to work around those. Ample parking for guests and easy to get to from Boston.

Sent on 10/12/2017

Emily · Married on 11/08/2014

Tammy & Rae were wonderful from start to finish. They can be hard to get ahold of sometimes, but coming up to the wedding day were very responsive, and before that I never had to be in touch more than once or twice before I got an answer. On the day of, Rae was very helpful in coordinating, there when you needed her but never intrusive.

The Mansion itself is a stunning location. When telling people that I was getting married there, they would often say that they had also attended a wedding at the Mansion and had a great time. The grounds and interior are beautiful, and hardly require any decorating at all for a memorable, beautiful night.

The price is one of the best points, as you can bring in all of your own vendors, there is no event minimum, and the venue being run by the city makes it very affordable. It should be mentioned that the Fire Marshal must approve all of your candle choices, and his standards are fairly strict, so that can be difficult. All in all, though, I can't imagine having gotten married anywhere else.

Sent on 12/04/2014