Commander's Mansion Reviews

32 | Watertown, MA

32 Reviews for Commander's Mansion

32 Commander's Mansion Reviews

Masha · Married on 08/12/2018

We just got married at the Commander's Mansion on 8/12/2018. We had set our sites on the mansion from the very beginning as we knew we wanted to get married in a historic house that would be easy for our guests to get to. The Commander's Mansion has it all: a gorgeous outdoor ceremony spot, a tent already up that you can rent for the party, and a spacious historic interior -- all within 20 mins' drive from downtown Boston. Tammy and Victoria were very helpful, doing a walk-through with us and the caterer a few weeks before the wedding and helping us with the seating chart and table/chair order. They also very generously allowed us to drop off the wedding decorations a few days before the wedding. When chaos struck early on the day of our wedding (rain and a flat tire for the bride's mother), Tammy was the calm in the eye of the storm, ensuring that our ceremony was set up inside the tent without a glitch. The bridal suite and upstairs rooms provide ample space for the bridal party to get dressed and set up. We could not recommend this venue more highly! --Josh and Masha

Rekha · Married on 08/11/2018

Our first decision as an engaged couple was to get married here! We actually met our wedding planner for the first time at the Commander's annual showcase last March. All of our vendors were so thrilled to hear we were getting married there. The venue is stunning, and very convenient for guests (just a ten-minute drive from Harvard Square, and the Residence Inn is virtually across the street). The Mansion somehow managed to be both the most flexible venue we saw (in terns of vendor selection) as well as the least expensive. We hope to be back soon :-)

Sent on 10/11/2018

Commander's Mansion's reply:

Hi Rekha & Will, Thank you for the sweet words. We had so much fun with you both through your planning process, please come back anytime!

Lynn · Married on 07/06/2018

Never looked at any other venues! After attending a friend's wedding at the Commander's Mansion I knew it would be an excellent choice for our big day too. The venue offers beautiful backdrops indoor and out, is formal but relaxed, and the price for a Friday daytime ceremony and reception suited our small budget nicely. I recommend attending the annual Wedding Fair in March if you can - it was an excellent way to get to know all of the caterers and other vendors. I loved that all of them had worked at the venue before and had an excellent relationship with the ladies at the Mansion. It made planning that much less stressful knowing I was in good hands. Would highly recommend this venue to anyone looking for simple elegance and a savvy team. Great value for the Boston area!

Sent on 09/29/2018
    Commander's Mansion 1

Commander's Mansion's reply:

Lynn, it was our pleasure to host your wedding! Thank you for sharing your experience with us and our vendor friends. You are always welcome to come back, don't be a stranger! XOXO Tammy & Victoria

Nick · Married on 11/14/2015

We were so lucky to find the Commander's Mansion for our wedding ceremony and reception venue. The space and service provided was truly exceptional. We loved that we could customize the space for what we wanted and the Commander's Mansion was very accommodating with everything. Casey was especially helpful and knowledgeable of the space and wedding planning in general. We were very lucky to have her assistance with so many aspects of the event. I would recommend (and have already) the Commander's Mansion for anyone looking for a location to host their ceremony and/or reception (or any kind of event).

Meredith · Married on 10/09/2015

An absolutely gorgeous venue. Lots of space, so no one feels crowd. Beautifully decorated already! The wonderful facilities managers are incredibly flexible (they even helped us move furniture around!) and responded to my millions of questions in a very timely fashion. I cannot recommend the Commander's Mansion enough. Additionally, the pricing cannot be beat. Would absolutely have another function here.

PS. There are two lovely rooms for the bride and groom to get ready and relax with their respective parties until the ceremony/reception. I felt like a queen!

Kara · Married on 08/31/2014

Working with Tammy and Rae at the Commander's Mansion have been so excellent for our wedding. They answers all questions promptly and really go out of their way to meet all of our various requests for the reception. We are grateful for all of their help in the planning process.

The venue is classic New England and gorgeous and the tent now has a beautiful linen lining overhead. For all of that and proximity to the city, it is really the best value around!

This is quite possibly the best venue of all time. We had our wedding there in the beginning of June and it was so incredibly beautiful! They have a brides suite, grooms suite, you rent the house and can rent the tent as well. We had our ceremony in the garden which was magnificent. Its awesome how its set in its own little area, so the wedding feels so intimate. Aside from the venue itself, Rae and Tammy are just two incredible people. They're so responsive, helpful, and flexible. I left clothes there on my wedding day and they MAILED it to me without even thinking twice! Who else would do that?!?! They went out of their way to help us in any way they could. I cant say enough good things about the Commanders Mansion- we were so incredibly happy we chose them!

margaret · Married on 05/31/2014

We had our wedding at the Commander's Mansion on Saturday May 31st. It was the most perfect day and the Commander's Mansion was the perfect venue. We worked most closely with Rae through the planning process. She was always lovely and quick to respond. She helped to guide me through the planning and allowed me to visit the mansion as much as I wanted in order to show our parents, vendors, etc. On our wedding day, we had the rooms upstairs for the wedding party to take photographs and relax while the guests arrived. We had our ceremony in the grape arbor, the cocktail hour on the first floor of the house and the reception under the tent on the patio. We got so many compliments on how elegant, classy and fun our venue was. We also definitely saved on flowers by choosing such a beautiful venue. We didn't need any flowers for the ceremony, as the arbor is beautiful on it's own. We hardly needed any flowers for cocktail hour because the house is so ornate and beautifully decorated. We also were pleasantly surprised to find out they had upgraded the tent with beautiful drapery, which looked gorgeous. I would highly recommend the Commander's Mansion as a beautiful, unique venue.

Stephanie · Married on 12/14/2013

Talk about going above and beyond! I knew I wanted the elegance of this venue for my wedding after I took a tour. Tammy and Rae were so helpful and flexible, and answered my many, many emails. They worked closely with my other vendors to create a seamless event that was absolutely magical.

The Mansion was decorated to the nines for the holiday season, and so many guests mentioned to me that it was the most beautiful and elegant wedding they had ever been to. Each room was radiant with light and decor, and we moved with ease through all the different rooms, set up so we could enjoy a photobooth in one room, cake and dessert in another, and dinner in another.

One bonus about this venue is that if you're a Watertown resident they will offer you a discount. We also booked off season and got a better rate. Lastly, there is plenty of free and convenient parking for this venue.

I am sure that it is gorgeous in any season, but it was especially warm, cozy and sophisticated for our December wedding. We will never forget our special night there, with the snow falling outside, and feeling at home with our loved ones in the Commander's Mansion.

Nicole · Married on 10/05/2013

We loved the commanders mansion! This place was absolutely perfect. It had ambiance, character and a layout that I truly desired. So many times you go to a wedding and it is just one giant ball room, not for me. I wanted intimacy, elegance and more importantly I didn't want my guests to have to yell over the music. To note, I wanted a dance floor! The Commanders Mansion offered everything I was looking for, and at a reasonable price for "Boston" area. The staff was incredible as well, they made us feel so special. I adore Tammy. To note my husband and I were married almost 2 years ago and our guests still talk about our wedding. I am a bit of a perfectionist so this always gives me great pleasure. The first room downstairs on the left, we kept the French Doors open and had our DJ in there and setup high cocktail rounds for the Hors D'ouvres for cocktail hour. We had setup the bar in the study to the left so it was more private but accessible and guests could step out from there on the side patio. Dinner was served upstairs in each of the rooms and it offered elegance, ambiance and intimacy that I truly loved. It was meticulously done and guests mentioned they felt so special like they were out for fine dinning. Our caterers Forklift Catering did an awesome job with this. After dinner we resumed downstairs for dancing, drinks etc. One of the rooms upstairs was transformed to a lounge, it offered guests a quiet space to play board games, have a scotch and sit and chat. We also used part of the main room downstairs to have the sofa's placed so guests could sit and watch dancing while the other have of the room was reserved for dancing. Again, this is where the bar was fabulous because it was off in another room, guests could mingle and not compete with our awesome DJ. Our wedding photos were stunning because this place has so much history and stature. Book here you will be so delighted.

Abby · Married on 09/15/2012

We had our ceremony in the arbor and our reception inside the Commander's Mansion. We were absolutely thrilled with the venue! Our goal was to have a wedding that felt very classic New England, but also throw a fun party. We also wanted a place where our guests could fly into Logan and not drive too far. (We had people stay in Harvard Square, which is only 10 miles away.) We got everything we wanted with the CM! Tammy and Rae, the CM coordinators, were VERY helpful during all the planning. We live on the west coast and were planning our wedding remotely. I had tons of questions and they both quickly returned emails and were always eager to help. I did a bunch of research on venues in the area and the site fee for the CM was right in line with what other places cost. The beautiful thing is that you can pick your vendors (from an extensive list). I didn't like it that at a lot of the other venues we looked at, we got locked into certain vendors, especially the caterer. The CM really wants you to have the wedding that you want. I really appreciated that! They also have a good deal going with Gordon's Liquors down the street. They supply the alcohol and you can return what you don't drink. (This definitely saved us money and the CM took care of the drop off/pick up coordination.) Being able to use the entire house is also a huge bonus. We had an hors d'oeuvres only reception and scattered tables around on both floors. There was lots of mingling. We did a slideshow in one room upstairs and a photo-booth in another. After the wedding, people really raved about being able to roam around so much. The rooms are all really gorgeous so, outside of flowers, there was very little "decorating" that we even needed to do and it still felt very elegant. We even utilized the outside porch for speeches. I knew that we'd made the right decision by selecting the Commander's Mansion, but it really did exceed all my expectations!

Jessica · Married on 08/28/2011

The Commander's Mansion is an absolutely stunning venue but what makes it so special is the staff. My wedding was set to take place on August 28th with the ceremony in the outdoor grape arbor and the reception under the tent. Unfortunately Hurricane Irene had different plans for us. Two days before our wedding we had to figure out how to take all of our outdoor events and make them indoors. Tammy and Rae went above and beyond the call of duty. They helped us rearrange seating, they took care of redoing the order we had placed with the rental company and they even opened the mansion extra early for us so we didn’t have to be in the rain at all that day. I can’t say enough about how absolutely wonderful they are. If you want to know that you will be 100% taken care of no matter what (even a hurricane) then you must use this venue!

Sara · Married on 10/23/2010

The Commander's Mansion was the perfect venue. The staff were amazing and accommodating. Between the lovely grape arbor and the beautiful interior, we were able to make our wedding the best day of our lives.

Suz · Married on 08/16/2008

Rae and Tammy were very nice and easy going and helped us figure out how to plan and setup the events of the day. They worked with our financial situation. everyone had a great time and loved the location of the wedding. I would definitely recommend this place.

My wife and I got married at Commander's Mansion last summer, and everything about it was perfect! Casey, Tammy, and Charlene were so helpful as we figured out all of the details over many months--and our guests were blown away by how beautiful the house, the tent, the grape arbor, and the grounds are. It was everything we hoped for and more! We had such a wonderful day. If only we could do it all over again!

Katie · Married on 08/13/2005

Beautiful location offered us a chance to hold both our ceremony and reception outdoors. They allow you to bring your own caterer and we provided our own alcohol which saved us about $4000. The mansion itself is air conditioned and the grounds are beautiful. The staff was exceptionally responsive and helpful.

Katie · Married on 09/29/2018

The Perfect Venue!

We loved our wedding at The Commander's Mansion! It was the perfect venue for us and allows so much variety to your day without ever leaving the location. We had our ceremony in the grape arbor (which yes, grows real grapes!), cocktails inside the house, and a tented patio reception. I worked mainly with Victoria, and she was great to work with! I always got a reply within 2-3 business days, and she was very professional and thorough in the process. Commander's is a city-owned property, so there are a few rules regarding use of the property that you should fully discuss with the staff to make sure you're okay with them (bar time limits, use of the lawn, etc.) However, being that it's city-owned, you can avoid many of the miscellaneous taxes and fees that come with other wedding venues, which saves you so much! Also they pitch the tent for the whole wedding season and only charge a use fee, which saves SO much money when looking at tented receptions. Commander's was by far one of the best valued venues I looked at in the Boston area. We loved how close it was to the city, which was perfect for our out of town guests (about 20 min from Logan), and there's a brand new Residence Inn essentially across the street. What I liked best about Commander's, was that you can pick your own vendors for almost everything. This helped us save a lot of money, while also choosing vendors that we connected more with. It does add a little more work to your plate as the bride (picking each vendor vs. having one chosen for you, such as catering), but I found it fun to meet with different vendors and sample food! Overall, we had a wonderful experience with Commander's and highly recommend them as a wedding venue.

Alison · Married on 10/07/2017

Beautiful location for our wedding. Easy to work with and were as flexible as possible - it's a city-owned property so there are some restrictions built in, but the staff is up front with everything and it was easy to work around those. Ample parking for guests and easy to get to from Boston.

Emily · Married on 11/08/2014

Tammy & Rae were wonderful from start to finish. They can be hard to get ahold of sometimes, but coming up to the wedding day were very responsive, and before that I never had to be in touch more than once or twice before I got an answer. On the day of, Rae was very helpful in coordinating, there when you needed her but never intrusive.

The Mansion itself is a stunning location. When telling people that I was getting married there, they would often say that they had also attended a wedding at the Mansion and had a great time. The grounds and interior are beautiful, and hardly require any decorating at all for a memorable, beautiful night.

The price is one of the best points, as you can bring in all of your own vendors, there is no event minimum, and the venue being run by the city makes it very affordable. It should be mentioned that the Fire Marshal must approve all of your candle choices, and his standards are fairly strict, so that can be difficult. All in all, though, I can't imagine having gotten married anywhere else.

Amanda · Married on 08/04/2017

The Commander's Mansion was a dream come true. The staff was professional, accommodating and experienced. The Commander's Mansion is so unique and it provided a great experience for our guests.

Mary · Married on 10/15/2016

The Commander's Mansion is such a beautiful and versatile venue, and we are so happy to have had our wedding there. The staff was always very friendly, and worked hard to make sure our big day was everything we hoped it could be. It was such a positive overall experience and we would recommend it to anyone looking in the area for any variety of events!

Dana · Married on 02/29/2012

3.0

I can’t imagine a better place to have a wedding than Commander’s Mansion. It was the only venue we looked at and we knew from the moment we stepped in it was perfect. Victoria was amazing to work with and made us feel at ease and supported through the entire process. The best thing about the mansion is that it provided variety while being all in one location. We were able to do our ceremony out in the arbor (which is GORGEOUS in the summer/fall), the cocktail hour inside the mansion and the reception out in the tent. That allowed us to keep things interesting without dealing with the headache of transporting our guests to multiple places. Commander’s Mansion is definitely a phenomenal place to have your wedding!

Brittany · Married on 07/22/2017

Commander's Mansion was everything we were looking for in a Boston-area venue for our mid-July wedding! Near the airport, lots of good hotels nearby, flexibility on timing and vendors (which was especially helpful in keeping alcohol costs down), and big/beautiful grounds so that different parts of the wedding could occur in different locations. We had a little trouble getting in touch initially, but everything was smooth sailing after that. We held a picnic event for our guests at the mansion the day before our wedding, and then had our ceremony (grape arbor)/cocktail hour (indoor/outdoor)/reception (tent in the back with a permanent brick floor) at the venue the following day. It was perfect for everything. The mansion is well air conditioned, which is a game changer during the summer so guests can cool off during the cocktail hour. The grape arbor was lush and beautiful for the ceremony. And the fact that we didn't have to pay separately for the reception tent made it a much more affordable venue. Would highly recommend the Commander's Mansion!

We had our wedding at Commander's Mansion last month and could not have asked for a more unique, beautiful venue! Throughout the months leading up to the wedding, everyone was so flexible and really helped make the process as special as possible. Tammy is so sweet and terrific!