Colonial Hotel Reviews

Colonial Hotel 6
Colonial Hotel 7
  • Stephanie

Stephanie · Married on 12/08/2018

Truly a Christmas wedding to remember

I am not even sure where to begin. We were married Dec 08, 2018. I knew I wanted a venue that was all inclusive in its packages but also in its venue. With it being winter i did not want my guests to have to travel in between. Having the rehearsal, ceremony, reception, AND after party all in one building was beyond ideal and we received SOO many compliments that no one had to leave the hotel once they arrived. When we visited last December, I knew the instant we walked in that this was going to be my venue. There was an enormous Christmas tree next to the beautiful staircase and I was smitten. Once we met with Mary the coordinator, I was in shock at the prices and inclusiveness of the packages. Mary was very easy to work with and beyond thorough throughout the whole process. We had MANY bumps in our year with loss of family members and we had to reschedule, meetings, tastings, you name it. Mary personally would call to just check in on not only myself but my family as well. I never felt pressured into making decisions or pressured by her or the venue while life was crazy for a while. I knew somehow in their hands that this day would all come together and it truly did. Kailee also had her hand in making our day special and making sure all of our vendors and important people were informed and coordinated. I cant say enough about this venue. I truly cant wait to return for a visit.

Phoenix · Married on 11/02/2018

Amazing experience!

I am so glad that we did our wedding here! When we walked into our reception everything was set up exactly how we wanted it. Everything ran so smoothly throughout the evening. The staff also packaged up our cake, gifts, decor and even our leftover food(!!) and had it all sent up to our room right after the wedding. By the time we left the after party it was all up there and ready to easily put in our car the next morning. I cannot say enough good things. Kayleigh was amazing, flexible and so easy to work with!

• Julianne

Julianne Harris · Married on 10/20/2018

I'd give them 6 stars if I could :)

From start to finish everything about working with Colonial Hotel was amazing. They were responsive, kind, accommodating, and so helpful every step of the way. Our wedding was better than we had even imagined all thanks to them. I wouldn't change a single thing about the day. We are so lucky to have had our wedding there!

Kerry · Married on 10/06/2018

Great wedding venue!! Our guests loved their food choices, and the breakfast buffet the next morning was a great addition for overnight guests. Mary and Kailee were wonderful to work with!! They were always very friendly and helpful with all of the wedding planning details, and made sure everything was always on schedule. Our Hostess Taylor also did a great job! Hotel staff were very friendly and accommodating too!

Mackenzie · Married on 08/04/2018

The Colonial Hotel was a 10/10 experience for my wedding. From ensuring every detail was noted, to making me feel so totally comfortable that I didn’t have to worry about anything except having the time of my life, they were true professionals. With the weather not cooperating, they quickly gave me options and helped me choose the best choices for my guests. Everything was perfect. I wouldn’t have changed a thing about my day. The food was amazing, the venue is beautiful, there are so many spots inside and out for pictures and all of the staff are amazing. I highly recommend the Colonial Hotel to aby bride who looking to have their dream wedding.

Sent on 08/17/2018

Colonial Hotel's reply:

Mackenzie! Thank you for your review we are so happy to hear that you had a amazing day and that our staff exceeded your expectations. We take pride in our service and delicious food! Enjoy being newlyweds!

Connor · Married on 06/29/2018

The Colonial Hotel exceeded all of our expectations. From the first meeting, Mary and her staff were extremely professional and made us confident about hosting our wedding there.

Our wedding day at The Colonial went perfectly. We held our reception in the tent, and the staff set it up beautifully. We honestly did not have to worry about a thing during the reception. The hotel worked with our vendors and made sure that everything went smoothly. Also, the food was excellent and all of our guests raved about it! Great value, excellent venue. We would highly recommend The Colonial Hotel to anyone.

Sent on 08/11/2018

Colonial Hotel's reply:

Thank you for your review Connor! It makes us so happy to hear your guests had a wonderful time and had nothing but good things to say about their evening. Our goal is for your guests to have an amazing evening and for you to relax and worry about nothing throughout the day and we are happy to hear that goal was met. Thank you for choosing us we enjoyed celebrating with you!

Danielle · Married on 06/23/2018

When looking for a wedding venue, my husband and I had a few things in mind, "easy to get to," "affordable" and "fun." The colonial provided all three of these aspects of our wedding and MORE. The moment we toured The Colonial we were in complete awe. Mary, the wedding planner, was professional and honest and made our wedding day the day of our dreams. Once we arrived on site we truly were treated like royalty and did not have to worry about a thing.

The Pub (colonial bar and grill) was one part of the venue that we fell in love with right away. We did a late night food station and invited our guests to go around the corner to the pub after our dancing was over. The hotel hired a DJ and the party continued. We had over 120 of our guests stay and dance some more with us. No one had to drive to where they were staying, and even those who were not staying at the hotel came to the pub to have a blast. What was a 5 hour wedding turned into a 8 hour party!

Our goal was to have fun and let me tell you that we did. We had multiple comments from guests on how nice it was to have the ballroom, the pub, and the hotel all in one place. Not to mention the pure awe of the ballroom. I would truly recommend this setting to anyone! (I also highly recommend the late night food station!)

Also, I have an allergy myself along with multiple family members and the staff was so attentive to making sure all our meals were perfect!

Thanks again colonial-we will be back!
    Michael and Danielle Smith

Sent on 07/21/2018

Colonial Hotel's reply:

Dear Michael & Danielle! We can't thank you enough for taking the time to share your experience via Wedding Wire! We so appreciate the 5 stars and kind words. We're thrilled to hear everything went just as you'd hoped. Thank you for choosing us for such a momentous occasion. Don't be strangers! Visit us again soon! Sincerely, Your Friends at The Colonial Hotel

Lisa · Married on 06/23/2018

My daughter got married on June 23rd 2018. The Colonial Hotel made this process so easy! We just loved the ballroom and of course our wedding coordinator Mary was just the best. We had many out of town guests and they all commented on what a great venue it was . They just loved having everything in one place. We went from the reception to the pub with a DJ provided by the hotel and ordered more food for the after party there. Then the guests could go right to their room. The service was excellent and Mary made the whole process so easy. The food was delicious ! I would highly recommend the Colonial !!!
    Lisa Cormier

Sent on 08/25/2018
    Colonial Hotel 8

Colonial Hotel's reply:

Thank you so much Lisa for this review. What a perfect picture of the two of them! We are so happy the we could make the night go smoothly for you all and you and your guests enjoyed having everything in one place

Katie · Married on 09/30/2017

My husband and I physically visited 20 venues and I had researched countless others when we finally found everything we were looking for in a venue with the Colonial Hotel! Salons that travel to the spa on site for a spa day with the girls and hair and makeup on the day of the wedding, overnight accommodations for our guests without the inconvenient 2 night minimum, beautiful outdoor ceremony area, gorgeous ballroom with hardwood floors and large windows, an equally beautiful indoor ceremony space in case of inclement weather, spacious Honeymoon Suite with a Jacuzzi and fireplace, absolutely delicious food, a restaurant and bar on-site for the rehearsal dinner and the after party, only about an hour from home and it was actually within our budget! Mary was our fabulous coordinator and answered hundreds of questions for me throughout the whole process. She did an amazing job accommodating all of our requests and making sure that there were no worries for the big day. I knew she had everything under control. She was there every step of the way and is really a pleasure to work with. I honestly can't say enough about wonderful things about Mary and the Colonial Hotel. I am so happy that my husband and I didn't settle for one of the countless venues we looked at and finally found this gem in Gardner Ma. My parents, husband and I thank you Mary and your talented professional staff for making our wedding a dream come true!

Colonial Hotel 9
    Colonial Hotel 10
    Colonial Hotel 11
    Colonial Hotel 12
    Colonial Hotel 13
    Colonial Hotel 14
    Colonial Hotel 15

Kaitlin · Married on 09/16/2017

Colonial hotel isn’t just a wedding venue; they were the perfect hosts for our wedding weekend! We got married on 9/16/17 at the outdoor pergola & ballroom tent; reserved 50+ rooms. We booked on in 2015 and the entire venue/packages were constantly changing to maintain a modern atmosphere and all wedding trends. Mary (wedding coordinator) was the one we closely worked with then leading up to our weekend was Kara & Sarah, plus many more! They were very accommodating and professional; they answered ALL my questions in a timely manner! For example I rented my own white dance floor; they were very accommodating with the rental company who had strict guidelines. They allowed us to store our decor due to the large amount. Friday night was when we were able to make final decision to have outside so we rehearsed l then proceeded to Colonial Grill with 37 people. The seating, display of gifts, and dinner package were all great. The morning of the wedding we had our suites pre-stocked with food/ drinks which was a more feasible option vs. catering from the grill. We did “first look” outside under the hotel arches, then moved to stairwell. That is the beauty of this hotel, there is numerous locations pending the weather or photographer ideas. We did extended family photos after the ceremony then joined cocktail hour. Intros were so organized with the combo of our vendors and staff. Dinner was a very big decision with the quality, freshness, temp, and presentation; they succeeded in all fields. Mary provided us with tons of support and guided us during the entire process on ways to save on costs. The flow of the wedding was honestly perfect, the amount of fun we had was indescribable. To have a great event you need to put hard work into planning and be prepared to spend. You need to really look at their wedding packages because they are very reasonable! Thank you for making our dream wedding a true reality, can't wait to go back! Love, Sean & Nikki McClelland

Colonial Hotel 16
    Colonial Hotel 23
    Colonial Hotel 24
    Colonial Hotel 25

Tina · Married on 09/10/2017

I have nothing but good things to say about the Colonial. They have been so accommodating in preparation of our wedding! I can't wait for our wedding! We toured 17 venues before we found the Colonial - a hidden gem!

Natalia · Married on 06/10/2017

We originally didn't want to spend so much money on one day. But we decided in the long scheme it wasn't much more then the cheaper venues and so convenient. I'm so glad we decided to do it here.
    One of the greatest conveniences and selling points about the Colonial is that after the reception the bar which stays open until 2 with a DJ then, you can walk up to your spacious room. No need for you or your guest to drive anywhere.
    Now that the wedding has passed, I'm so glad we decided on it. Mary and her team were great! They are very professional. Before the wedding I emailed Mary very often she always answered me and was pleased to help. When she wasn't available Sarah was there to help.
    The day of the wedding was amazing. Everything went flawless they work very hard and deserve the 20% administrative fee. As a frugal person at first I thought it was a little much. But now I see why!!! We were on a very tight budget so we did our own flowers. My friend who set everything up said that the staff was amazing. They helped her fill and set up the center piece vases and decorations, without them she said she would have missed the ceremony. The ceremony was perfect, everything went as planned. The only thing I'd change is the long walk to the pagoda.
    After the ceremony we had to take pictures, I figured we wouldn't get many of the hordeurvs or sangria offered to our guest. I was very wrong. We had so much food and delicious sangria. As the rest of our party went in we had a young woman who helped us during pictures holding my veil, etc.
    At the reception everything was amazing our waitress Bridgett made sure we were well hydrated and taken care of. All of our guest were ranting about the food and sangria!
    Over all our experience was amazing I highly recommend!!

ashton · Married on 05/20/2017

My husband and I got married at the Colonial on May 20, 2017. Everything from the planning process to the wedding day itself was absolutely smooth sailing and perfect! The staff at the Colonial were so easy going and great to work with. Mary who is the wedding coordinator there was amazing!! I would highly recommend checking out this great venue! Ask for Mary and tell let her know her "BBF" referred you!

Stephanie · Married on 04/08/2017

I got married at the Colonial Hotel back in April and I have nothing but great things to say! 1st off Mary is absolutely amazing and I miss working with her! She made the whole process seamless and always answered my questions promptly but also didn’t make me feel bad for asking silly questions. She was truly amazing. The day of my wedding was honestly a dream come true. I can honestly say not one thing went wrong! We all got ready in the Hotel Spa area. Hey Good Lookn Salon came (referred to by the Colonial) and took over the salon for the morning- they were awesome to work with. The suite was amazing to get ready in too! The ceremony and reception were both held inside which ended up being stunning! We heard nothing but great things about the food (the chicken cordon blue was a fan favorite!) Our cake was part of our package and we got it through the Bean Counter. The cake was AMAZING. After the wedding we moved the party into the restaurant/bar area – it was a great after party where we had food. People ask me all the time if you could change one thing what would it be and looking back now I honestly can say that I wouldn’t have changed one thing or I wish I could relive it again! This was definitely the best night of my life and I could recommend this place for anyone’s wedding in the future!

rose · Married on 03/25/2017

We are on cloud 9! We just had our wedding at the Colonial on 3/25/17. The venue is beautiful with features such as hard wood floors, chiavari chairs, chandeliers, and a grand staircase for pictures. Our wedding coordinator, Mary was absolutely incredible. All of her recommendations were in our best interest, she is a true professional! She answered all of our questions and assured us our day would be perfect, which it was! Along with her staff Lindsay and Sarah they paid attention to every little detail that we wanted to include in our special day. Every piece of decor we brought was setup beautifully and displayed for our guests too see. We had a HUGE wedding (275) and they handled the crowd very well. Being able to have our rehearsal, rehearsal dinner, ceremony, and reception in the same place, with the ability to accommodate all of our guests with a hotel room was KEY! It made the whole experience less stressful and more enjoyable! Using the salon in the Colonial to get ready was definitely the way to go. My bridesmaids and I had a blast getting pampered in our own space without having to tie up a hotel suite at the same time. We would highly recommend this venue to future Brides and Grooms :)

• April

April · Married on 02/25/2017

Our entire experience at the Colonial Hotel was great! Mary was awesome to work with, she was very organized and on top of everything! She definitely made all of the preparations leading up to the big day that much easier, as well as making sure that our actual wedding day went smoothly. The food is amazing, all of my guests mentioned how great their dinner was and compared to many other venues where you only get cheese and crackers for the cocktail hour, at the colonial for a very fair price you get hot passed appetizers as well! It was so convenient having everything there as well. We were able to have the rehearsal dinner there on Friday night and then stayed over on Friday to get ready there on Saturday morning. It definitely made it much easier not having to drive to so many places during an already busy weekend! The colonial is definitely worth taking a look at, especially if you are looking for a low stress experience with great food!

Eleni · Married on 11/19/2016

I would say what are you waiting for!! Book it right now!!! This hotel and the staff was absolutely fantastic!!!!! They made every wish I had for my wedding day come true!!! I did not have to worry about anything!!!! A++++++++

Teresa · Married on 08/20/2016

Mary and the staff were absolutely amazing! They guided us through the whole planning process and gave me peace of mind. Everyone went above and beyond to make our night perfect!

saralyn · Married on 08/06/2016

We loved having our wedding at The Colonial and would highly recommend this as a venue. Our wedding was an amazing dream come true. Mary Whitman was our coordinator and she certainly made our wedding reception unforgettable. She was easy to work with and was so responsive! She would reply to my email questions sometimes within minutes.
    On our wedding day our vision turned into reality as the setup was impeccable and the coordination was on point. The food was excellent and the presentation was gorgeous! For desert, we had a candy bar and a s’more bar in addition to cake and ice cream! Moreover, we were allowed to bring in homemade Italian cookies, which were presented with the candy bar. It looked amazing.
    As a venue, The Colonial was absolutely beautiful, providing us the perfect blend of elegance and class without feeling stuffy. We had our reception outside in the tent which is so beautiful, especially with the floral arrangements and candles. The inside of the building itself is gorgeously classic but still has a lot of character.
    Our guests repeatable came up to us, telling us it was the BEST wedding they had ever been to. It would not have been possible without the amazing team at The Colonial. We simply can't speak highly enough of The Colonial and its staff. We are so very happy that we chose them for our special day. We will never forget how well they treated us. Thank you Mary for such a wonderful, fabulous day.

Kristin · Married on 05/07/2016

I am SO glad we decided to have our wedding at the Colonial! Our wedding was absolutely perfect - really and truly it was a dream come true for us and we heard nothing but rave reviews from all 200 of our guests. Mary is an absolute rock star! There wasn't one detail she didn't think of, or question of mine that she couldn’t answer throughout the entire planning process. You can rest assured that you are completely taken care of, especially on the day of the wedding but also every day leading up to it.One of the things I appreciated the most about our initial meetings was how upfront and clear all the pricing was. There was never any hidden costs or fees, and Mary made sure we had a very close estimate with a few different options to consider before we left her office.
    Our ceremony and reception were both in the ballroom (the hotel handles this wonderfully), we used the bar & grille for our rehearsal dinner the night before, and we stayed in one of the large suites. The suites are HUGE! Big enough for 8 girls plus hair and make up to hang around and get ready in without feeling the least bit crowded. Throughout the day Mary and her staff were managing all the vendors, setting up all our decorations, guestbook table, etc. exactly as we had pictured it. All I had to do on wedding day was wake up and celebrate!
    She made sure all the events that day were perfectly timed and coordinated, and everything went off without a single hitch. Our ceremony was at 6 pm, and at 6:01 I was getting my dressed fluffed and was ready to walk down the aisle.
    The reception was SO much fun, the food was delicious, and of course once again Mary and team made sure that everything happened exactly as we expected it would. After the reception most people headed back to the bar for more drinks and some snacks (it's open til 2 and they bring in a DJ during wedding season).
    I could go on and on - if you're considering the Colonial book it right now!! You will not regret it for a second :)

Katherine · Married on 10/24/2015

Ryan & I have been married for 2 weeks now. A common question we get asked is "So, what went really well with the wedding, and what went maybe not-so-well/not as well as expected?" Our answer? The day was perfect. We get strange looks-- doubtful looks--but it's the truth. Our wedding went off without a hitch, much thanks to Mary Whitman and the staff @ The Colonial Hotel. If we had to do it all over again, we would not change ONE SINGLE THING-- and this is the absolute truth. For this-- we truly can't thank Mary enough. She is an amazing coordinator who will make you feel confident in the planning process and confident that all things are being covered. Weddings can be stressful to plan, so it's important to have an experienced, passionate coordinator at a venue with solid wedding experience to help assist you in the process. Our ceremony was outside--the gazebo was gorgeous! The tent reception was stunning- the most beautiful thing we've seen! The draping, the chandeliers, how they decorate/set up--it's picturesque. We got married @ the end of October so it was chilly, but the tent was heated and our guests were perfectly comfortable all night! We got countless amounts of compliments on the food (people are obsessed with their stuffed-chicken haha). After the reception ended, a bunch of our guests joined us in the Tavern (open til 2 am) where we ordered pizzas and drinks and danced some more! They have entertainment at night on weekends, which was awesome! There was a DJ there who played great music and we got to continue our wedding festivities without having to pay for extra time in the reception tent! We held our rehearsal dinner at the hotel as well the night before, and again-- people raved about the food and service! (The butternut squash raviolis were the fave). We had truly the best wedding we could have ever dreamed of and look forward to staying at the Colonial Hotel around anniversaries and reminiscing about the best day of our lives! -Ryan & Katie

Alice · Married on 10/09/2015

The Colonial Hotel was the perfect venue for my wedding! I had it under the tent and the ceremony in the ballroom. I was supposed to have it outdoors by the pagoda but due to weather and availability of the ballroom I was able to have the ceremony indoors. I loved the tent space and the beautiful draping and chandeliers. Mary Whitman is amazing! She answered all my questions and made my wedding run smoothly from start to finish!

Krista · Married on 05/30/2015

My husband and I had our rehearsal dinner, ceremony and wedding at The Colonial Hotel. I am SO pleased with everything!!! Our wedding weekend was absolutely beautiful and all of our guests had a fabulous time. I literally do not have one complaint.

Our ceremony was in the garden and our reception was in the ballroom (we had 105 people). We used the really nice bar and grill for the rehearsal dinner and also guests went there after the wedding to keep the night going (it's open until 2am). The suite we stayed in was beautiful and perfect- big enough for your girls to get ready together the morning of the wedding!

The night of the wedding everything went flawlessly and was perfectly decorated. I had someone fluffing my dress as I walked down the isle, making sure the bridal party got apps and drinks during pictures, etc. Service was impeccable and food was delicious! At the end of the night my husband and I stayed in the suite and entered the room to a bottle of campaign, which was a very nice touch and made it all the more special.

Mary was WONDERFUL!!!! I can't say enough about her. She is so responsive (which is important to me) and had an answer for every single question. She made the process so easy and I feel so lucky we had her to work with.

Two other things I was to add which were concerns of mine as a bride are:
    1. There were 2 weddings the night of ours. I honestly didn't even notice- the venue handles this very well.
    2. Pricing is upfront and open, you don't get any surprise costs or feel like you will (unlike other venues we visited).

Overall, I can't say enough about the staff and the venue! I recommend this venue to anyone looking for a perfect wedding day!

Rachel · Married on 05/16/2015

Mary at the Colonial hotel was absolutely AMAZING. She worked with us closely to provide everything needed to make our day perfect. As a bride, this was invaluable. I didn't have to worry about a SINGLE thing on the day of my wedding because Mary was so thorough. She had plans and contingency plans for everything, and went above and beyond to deliver us a dream wedding, within our budget. We had our ceremony outside and reception in the BEAUTIFUL tent. It was idyllic.

My only complaint was that it seems that the hotel staff and the event staff are not on the same page. There were a number of issues with reservations at the hotel as well as difficulty in figuring out these issues due to check in staff lacking flexibility (and perhaps manners on a few accounts). Check in for the hotel guests is not until 3 and that caused some issues as well. Despite this, i would absolutely recommend this venue.