Coastal Critters Clam Bakes Reviews

17 Reviews for Coastal Critters Clam Bakes

• Emily

Emily Savioo · Married on 06/10/2019

Wedding in Maine

I want to give a special Thank you to James; Coastal Critters was my caterer for our Wedding in Maine and it was absolutely Sublime, James is Great but everything he made was delicious between the clam chowder and cheese platers for starter and the lobster plate with the clams it was 100% perfect. I received very good feedback from my guests too. + it was very easy to communicate with James, You are very talented and thank you again.

Sent on 10/17/2019

Steve · Married on 09/01/2018

Coastal Critters exceeded our expectations in every way. We did a lobster bake for a wedding of ~100 people. Best lobster I've ever had (and I'm a native Mainer). The beef was tender, the sides tasty. The staff was professional, courteous and flexible. Don't waste your money on overpriced Portland-area "gourmet." If you want a real Maine wedding that won't cost a fortune, go with Coastal Critters. You will not be disappointed!

Sent on 09/22/2018

Lauren · Married on 06/25/2016

James catered our rehearsal dinner in Camden on June 24th, 2016, and the experience was WONDERFUL! The majority of our guests were form Michigan and Colorado, and a clam/lobsterbake is fairly foreign to us! We received incredible feedback from our family and friends, the food was super fresh and there was plenty! Could not say enough wonderful things about this experience. Thanks James!!

Sent on 07/11/2016
  • I

Tmana · Married on 12/09/2015

James was very nice, and the critter team was very professional. They are flexible and are happy to go over different menu options. Food was well prepared and there was plenty to go around. Everyone was happy and full. I would recommend Coast Critters Clambakes & Grilling.

Sent on 12/18/2014

Coastal Critters Clam Bakes's reply:

Thank you, Tmana, for your kind words. I thought you were very nice too! We do strive to please ALL our clients and we're happy you enjoyed our services on your wedding day. In all fairness to our readers here, though, I should probably mention that I spent a great deal of time on this event to make sure it went off without a hitch because, well....that's what daddies do for their daughters! I love you, sweetheart!

James and his crew were excellent. Everyone raved about all of the entres! Of course, Lobster was a favorite but even people that had chicken and steak only had great things to say! The crew was very pleasant and easy to work with :)

Sent on 09/20/2015

Alison · Married on 08/08/2015

James and his staff are absolutely AMAZING! James was extremely easy to work with and extremely responsive to questions. On our wedding day his staff knew exactly what to do! They were always making sure to keep in touch with our bartender and DJ. The food was out of this world delicious! We offered our guests a choice of steak, chicken, or salmon. I had the salmon for my dinner and it was incredible! All of our guests were raving about the food and asking who our caterer was.

James's staff even packed up leftovers and left it in the fridge at our reception site. I wasn't expecting this at all - it was a great surprise! I had family visiting from out of town so we brought leftovers over for dinner on Sunday night. The leftovers were just a good - everyone was still commenting on how good the food was :)

I'd highly recommend James and his staff! They are downright amazing!

Sent on 08/16/2015

Susan · Married on 08/09/2014

Prior to our daughter's wedding, James and I worked together to design a menu that met our needs and he was flexible and creative. The day of the wedding, the staff were so professional, so helpful and so funny, I can't say enough about how delighted we are with choosing Coastal Critters! The food was fantastic, the staff were efficient and the whole ambiance was better than I expected. I received many compliments from our guests as well!

Sent on 08/21/2014

Tarrah · Married on 06/21/2014

James and his crew were wonderful. We had a beautiful rustic wedding on a lake in Ellsworth and they added the finishing touch! James was very responsive whenever I had questions and made sure everything was perfect. We had the grilling menu (steak, salmon and chicken) and the food was wonderfully prepared. We had numerous complements on the food. I would highly recommend Coastal critters for your catering needs!

Sent on 07/13/2014

We had a fantastic experience with Coastal Critters! They catered our small 1920s-themed beach wedding this Spring in Maine. From beginning to end, James was available to work with us to create a delicious menu that also satisfied our many dietary needs and restrictions (i.e., we are vegan, but our family and friends are sea-food lovers!). Given we live in Canada, we did all of the planning over e-mail and telephone. In a nut shell, the planning went smoothly and on the day of the Wedding: they arrived on time, they set up beautifully, the food and service was FANTASTIC, and they did all the clean up quickly and discreetly. Our guests commented on how fresh and tasty the food was (we had the Lobster Cove Bake with Vegan kabobs, corn, salad, vegetable kabobs, and potatoes). There was more than enough food for everyone and truly everything exceeded our expectations. I highly recommend this caterer, especially if you want a true "down East" coastal experience.

Sent on 05/21/2014

Coastal Critters did a WONDERFUL job at our wedding!! We are so pleased with their service and would definitely recommend them for anyone for their wedding or other event type! The guests were more than thrilled with the grilling menu and buffet, and it was just perfect!

Sent on 06/27/2013

Beth · Married on 05/18/2013

James and his staff were amazing! They even set up a distance from the tent so I did not have to compromise on my walk in and aisle!! Love these guys!! Very attentive to all our guests and especially my husband and I! Food was fantastic!!

Sent on 05/24/2013
  • Michelle

Michelle · Married on 06/23/2012

Coastal Critters & Clambakes did an excellent job of catering my intimate garden wedding in Windsor, Maine!!! My husband and I wanted a intimate garden wedding that was casual yet elegant and family inspired. With James' help, that is exactly what we got! James and his staff steamed almost 30 lobsters and grilled over 30 steaks on site. They also provided steamer clams and corn on the cob while family members brought additional side dishes for a potluck feel. Everyone raved about how delicious the food was. My father-in-law and I didn't get to eat our meals so James packaged up to plates and put them in the refridgerator for us. I also can't thank him enough for providing umbrellas when it started to rain during the ceremony! If you are looking for delicious food prepared on-site, they are the caterer for you!

Sent on 07/03/2012
  • W

Wendy · Married on 06/05/2014

Sincere thanks to Coastal Critters for providing such delicious food and excellent service at our wedding yesterday afternoon. We can honestly say the crab cakes were the best We've ever eaten and the lobster and steak was superb. We would thoroughly recommend this family business for your catering needs .... And they couldn't have been nicer. Thank you.

Sent on 06/06/2014

Kim · Married on 08/12/2017

James was a pleasure to work with and he was super helpful in planning out which food to order and listening to our specific requests. Despite being very busy this summer he was very responsive and extremely accommodating with issues like food allergies. Most importantly the food was DELICIOUS! Even my brother, a veritable NYC foodie, said the food was excellent. It was priceless to see our family and friends coming in from around the country feasting on lobster with their bibs on. But even the non-lobster food was delicious- the chicken and salmon were perfectly cooked, and the hors d'oeuvres were delicious. If you are running on a very tight schedule then make sure to let James know when dinner must start and he will accommodate. We had a buffet-style meal where folks requested their entree ahead of time. If you do this, make sure to order extra entrees and sides and to tell James to have his servers ask your guests to wait for other tables to get food before grabbing seconds or additional entrees because if they are like our family they will want to eat as much delicious food as possible. Other than that, if you're planning an event with simple and perfectly cooked lobster and other foods look no further.

Sent on 08/17/2017
  • Sara

Sara · Married on 08/03/2013

James worked with us to give us a great value and was very responsive to our many emails and questions. Our guests enjoyed their lobster and we loved being able to give our out-of-state guests a Maine experience at a more affordable price than other vendors.

Sent on 10/23/2013

Kenneth · Married on 06/14/2014

James and his crew were really amazing to my wife and I as we planned our outdoor wedding in June. we chose James because from our first conversation, he seemed so down-to-earth, honest, and willing to help and accommodate all of our needs. We desired very certain specifications in our outdoor catered wedding and he was able to accommodate all of them basically. For example, we had an extra long reception/cocktail "hour" that he had to hire extra wait-staff for, with no hassle to us. James also was able to cater in certain ways to help us feed our guests on time and give them the food that they needed.

Needless to say, James was great. Personable, honest, no hidden fees, easy to negotiate with, fun to talk to, and very accommodating. Would highly recommend!

Sent on 12/09/2014

Matt · Married on 07/07/2012

0.0

DO NOT EVER HIRE THIS COMPANY! My wife and I decided to have the ideal Maine wedding.. on an Island off the coast of Bar Harbor. Picture perfect afternoon, a light breeze in the air, sunny but not too hot and of course, the ocean and Acadia Park mountain range as a backdrop. What could possibly go wrong?
    How about the catering company you hired and paid handsomely to come make your island wedding everything you have ever dreamed about being over an hour late, thus missing the water taxi you hired specifically for them and all of their gear to ensure they were able to make it on time (ironically enough) all of which paid for by you.
    As if that weren't enough, now picture the hired professionals forgetting a lighter to ignite the grill (which again, you had to provide) and a potato masher for the mashed potatoes you ordered.

Oh wait, lets not forget professionalism... no sooner do they arrive (finally), they are cracking open bottles of beer out of your coolers and smoking whilst preparing you and your guests' food.

It is now time to eat (over 2.5 hours later than planned). The food is so/so, the service is, well, no existent, and the guests are famished and completely intoxicated after waiting as patiently as possible for their dinner.

BUT, the fun doesn't end there! Now its time for the reception to officially begin (at 8:30pm... the ceremony ended at 2:30pm). What comes next? Dessert? The cutting of your cake? Not as far as these "professionals" are concerned. For them, its time to celebrate a job well done... by cracking open a few more of your beverages and lighting up another round of cigarettes. Why would the "caterers" be expected to clear the buffet style dinner trays, pack-up and place the left over food in a refrigerator (as you have specifically, contractually pre-arranged) or place the dessert trays your mother and new mother-in-law have already laid out? That is clearly YOUR responsibility, or at least it was in Coastal Critters' eyes.

If you are hoping to have the wedding of your dreams, truly the best day of your lives.. DO NOT, and I cannot stress this enough, DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER COASTAL CRITTERS.

P.S. it is currently 7/27/12, I have still not received a refund or even been offered a formal apology from the owner of this company.

Sent on 07/27/2012

Coastal Critters Clam Bakes's reply:

It was very nice of your parents to plan and host this island reception for you and your new bride. I'm sure they'll miss your pleasant disposition once the two of you get your own place now that you're married. It was also very nice of your dad to offer my two 50-yr old staff members a couple of beers along with the rest of his guests. I'm sorry if you weren't aware of that or didn't approve. It's clear that you are also unaware of all the side work the server performed throughout the evening, which included tending to the buffet, helping the family pack up leftovers, and many other things. There were certain island logistics that did take longer for my crew to navigate through than anyone anticipated. The staff experienced a few set-backs along the way and dinner was served later than planned. I'm sorry if anyone grew impatient. I do hope you and your guests were still able to enjoy this ideal Maine wedding.. on an Island off the coast of Bar Harbor on a picture perfect afternoon, with a light breeze in the air, sunny but not too hot and of course, the ocean and Acadia Park mountain range as a backdrop. Best of luck to you both in your new lives together. If anyone out there has any concerns about this review or my response, please contact me directly. Thank you. James