Chowhound Gourmet Reviews

44 Reviews for Chowhound Gourmet

• Melissa

Melissa Chambers · Married on 10/10/2020

Best wedding food ever

John and his team are amazing. The food was excellent and the service they provided was top notch. He was flexible with some last minute changes and made planning my 3rd wedding due to covid a breeze. He offers a trial to couples and I promise if you give him a shot you won’t be disappointed.

Sent on 10/13/2020

Hi, Melissa!

It truly was an honor! And thank you so much for the kind words!

Nothing but the best to you guys

Sincerely, John
  • Eden

Eden Matsoukis · Married on 10/10/2020

Amazing Food + Friendliest Staff!!!

Chef John at Chowhound Gourmet is amazing!!! When we found Chowhound on WeddingWire and read the reviews and researched their menu options online, we knew that we really wanted to try them if at all possible (we were very late to the game finding a caterer due to covid). Unfortunately when we reached out to John he told us that his team was already booked for our date and sincerely apologized (not his fault, of course!!). We asked him to put us down in his book in the event the schedule opened up due to a cancellation because of Covid. We thought it was a long shot, but it was worth asking. Turns out it wasn't that long of a shot because the event did get canceled (which totally sucks), but super lucky for us! We were ecstatic when we received a call from John about 3 weeks later saying he opened up. We set up a phone consultation with John and started planning out the menu! He came up with such a delicious menu for us based on what we told him we liked!! We did the prime rib, baked cod, roasted veggies and potatoes, and grown up mac n cheese. I told John that I loved soup and would prefer to have a nice fall soup served instead of salad before dinner, and John made this amazing Butternut Squash Bisque with an assortment of delicious garnishes. It was amazing!! The ceremony and dinner took place in our home, so the chef and server were super flexible moving around the kitchen and living room (and to the garage off the kitchen where the prime rib was being carved.. not the original plan but they needed more space and were able to adapt to a better arrangement that worked out for them!!). The server, and I forget her name, was an absolute angel. She was sooo, so so so sweet. She took excellent care of all 21 people sitting down for dinner. Before dinner even started, she and the chef prepared togo boxes for a few family members who attended the ceremony but were hesitant to join for dinner due to being in closer proximity with others (again, covid). They were so happy!! Once the dinner was done, she so kindly wrapped up all leftover food and stored it in our fridge (labeled the boxes and dated everything). She helped to serve the cake. She did the dishes!! Once the wedding was over, the groom and myself literally had zero cleanup to do with food. It was so nice.

One of the nicest gestures of the whole catering service had to do with our pup (and also our flower dog), Phoebe. Although there was no chicken on the menu for us, Chef John prepared her one unseasoned chicken breast with unseasoned veggies. It was her special day too and we wanted her to enjoy a special meal, and Chef John delivered. He REALLY delivered. She didn't finish all at once... but trust me, she did lick her bowl clean by the time dinner concluded.

We literally couldn't have done the day without them. Once we were luckily and finally able to hire John, the process couldn't have been more smooth. The phone consultation, menu tasting, finalizing details, and execution of the event, was all perfect. We can't thank John and his team enough for the amazing service they provided to us, our pup, and our guests. Our guests, and us, were raving about the food for days. One thing people always remember about weddings was if the food was good or not. Chef John and his team made sure that the food was unforgettable in the best way possible. Thank you so, so much!! We OBVIOUSLY recommend them to anyone looking for catering services for their event.

Sent on 10/16/2020

Hi there!

Thank you so much for the amazing review! It was so thoughtful of you to go into such detail . Truly grateful for your all your words!

I can not tell you how fortunate I am for my amazing crew! They are the best!

Nothing but the best to you guys & of course Phoebe :)))
  • W

Wanda Love · Married on 05/30/2020

Excellent Food and Service

A++ 🤗 From the first phone called to the last drop ate by my guest. I called John on a short notice for a wedding reception during the Covid-19 Pandemic and he responded with open arms and delivered on his word. Fine dining quality with service attendants at a unbelievable price. Food was amazing and the staff was perfect for my outdoor wedding. 100% recommend if you need a caterer for “any” event!!

Sent on 06/10/2020

Hi Wanda!

Thank you so much for taking the time out to give us a review! It was an absolute joy :))

Nothing but the best for you guys

• Dana

Dana Knochel · Married on 02/08/2020

Backyard Reception

From my first conversation with John I knew we had found the right person to cater our event. We love great food and had never had a caterer before as cooking is something I love to do. Our daughters wedding went from a 325 person event down to 23 during Covid19 and we had to make adjustments and have it at our house. John was very accommodating with specific requests, came over on a Saturday to get a "lay-of-the-land" of our backyard and house and worked so well with us to make our event special. Everyone loved the food, from the beautiful and delicious appetizers to the "bonus" amazing soup, salad, veggies, potatoes and duet main course. All I can say is that we were extremely happy we found Chowhound Gourmet and will be passing the word along to anyone that needs an event catered. John is your man!

Sent on 09/02/2020

Chowhound Gourmet's reply:

Thank you so much for all the kind words. It was a true joy serving you and the family !

Nothing but the best for you guys

• Abby

Abby Grajek · Married on 01/03/2020

Delicious food, professional staff, great value

Chowhound gourmet delivered delicious food at a great value. I couldn't be more happy that we hired John to cater our wedding. I was hesitant to do a buffet, but it fit our venue the best. I normally associate buffet food to being overly salty, cold, and not very inventive. That was the opposite of what we had! Our food was very flavorful, hot, and inventive for all diets. The staff was very attentive to clearing plates and checking in with us as well. I could not recommend them enough, all our guests were complimenting on how great our food was!

Sent on 01/05/2020

Hi, Abby!

Thank you so much! I am so fortunate to have an awesome team!

And yes, the premise of Chowhound is top notch restaurant food in a catering environment...

Nothing but the best for you and Eric!

Msc Inconnue · Married on 12/21/2019

Most memorable wedding food ever!!! Such a professional staff!5

Update to our tasting from earlier in the year. John's team catered our daughter's wedding ton 12/21/2019, and we agree with ALL the guests, the food was AMAZING!!! The service was outstanding, and no detail went unnoticed. We could not be happier with our choice of Chowhound Gourmet, because they contributed to making this very special day even more unforgettable. If you are looking for a delicious and creative menu for any occasion, do and yourself a favor and try Chowhound Gourmet. You will not be disappointed!!!

Sent on 01/07/2020

Chowhound Gourmet's reply:

Thank you so much for taking the time out to give us such an awesome review. I will be sure to share this with our team!!

May the force be with you

• Veronica

Veronica · Married on 11/09/2019

Absolutely Amazing!!!!!

Our guests were absolutely blown away by the food Chef John did for our wedding. The staff was on top of everything and all we heard from our guests is how the food melted in your mouth!!! Beyond blessed and happy with everything!

Sent on 11/11/2019

Chowhound Gourmet's reply:

It was absolutely our pleasure! And thank you for taking the time to write a review. Truly grateful

And may the force be with you guys!!

suzanne · Married on 10/19/2019

Chowhound Gourmet Best Ever!

Went for the tasting for my sons wedding and John was fabulous and his food was the most amazing! Definitely a "Chef" prepared meal vs. a "caterer" prepared meal!

Sent on 01/03/2019

Hi, there!

SO thoughtful to give us an excellent review for a tasting. We had fun and we look forward to serving you and your family!!

• Jessie

Jessie · Married on 09/28/2019

my experience was excellent.

I am so Happy we chose ChowHound we had some people who showed up that didnt RSVP but the staff and John improvised.

Sent on 09/29/2019

Chowhound Gourmet's reply:

Thank you so much for the review!

We are grateful for you and T.J. and may the force be with you guys :))

Koco · Married on 09/28/2019

Best wedding caterer around!

I honestly do not have enough words to express how amazing John and his team from Chowhound Gourmet are. From our first meeting with John, we saw his passion for food, and the food he presented at our wedding was INCREDIBLE. We seriously had people tell us they were "licking" their plates. John came up with a great menu for our cocktail hour, and dinner service. He was easy to work with throughout the entire process, and made our wedding so special. We would recommend him to ANYONE. He's not only a great caterer, he's a fantastic human being. Do yourself a favor and book him immediately--- you will be so happy you did!

Sent on 10/12/2019

Rebecca · Married on 07/04/2019

Excellent Service and Food from Chowhound Gourmet

Chowhound Gourmet is an excellent company and I would recommend them to anyone. My wedding reception was held at a park pavilion and I was concerned that it might come across too much like a graduation party type event rather than a wedding. Chowhound Gourmet helped give my event that extra bit of class. The food was delicious and unique and the onsite servers did an excellent job of presenting it in a really classy way even though we were using fancy looking disposable flatware and plates. I was really impressed with the onsite servers too. They arrived about two hours early to set up, so there was no worrying about them. I figured they would only be responsible for setting the food out and making sure that the food stayed well stocked but they also went around cleaning up the little cups and glasses the food came in as people finished them. I told everyone that the food was the wedding detail that was most important to me and Chowhound Gourmet did not disappoint!

Sent on 07/09/2019
  • Molly

Molly · Married on 06/29/2019

Could not be happier!

My husband and I hired Chowhound Gourmet for our wedding this past weekend, and we are so glad we did! John Breeland, the chef/owner, was extremely kind and helpful leading up to the wedding. On the day of the wedding, we had a short turn-around time to get the dining area ready for the reception, and the Chowhound Gourmet staff got it done in no time! The food was absolutely delicious, and we never ran out of water at the tables. My husband and I received so many rave reviews from our guests about the food and the service! If you're in Southeast MI and need a catering service, look no further!

Sent on 07/02/2019

Hi, Molly !

Thank you so much for the amazing review! It was an absolute honor to serve your first dinner as husband and wife!

Very best to you guys

Arianna · Married on 06/08/2019

Book with Chowhound NOW

John and his team at Chowhound Gourmet are an incredible crew of chefs, servers, and event staff. I recommend his services to anyone looking for brilliant food and professionalism at their wedding or other event. We were married on June 8th at the Belle Isle Boat House. Many things about our wedding made it a difficult event, but John honestly rocked it. First, my mom is a chef in the SF Bay Area with ridiculously high expectations -- John met every single one of her requests. I'm talking about minor things (i.e., creme instead of mousse, chopped dill instead of raw dill) that had I been in his shoes would've really put me over the edge. But he attended to these requests with ease, and was open to suggestions. We ended up having a second appetizer tasting to get everything just right, and John was gracious and warm. At the wedding, our parents and guests repeatedly said that the food at our wedding was the BEST WEDDING FOOD EVER. We had three stations - Middle Eastern, California Fresh Fare, and Italian. Every single dish was scrumptious. The second challenge with our wedding was the venue -- the Belle Isle Boat House is absolutely stunning, but it is a non-traditional venue. There is no kitchen. It is a historical building, so there are no open flames inside the building. And on the day of our wedding, the outside of the boat house flooded (yes, flooded) and the elevators were out of service. Unbeknownst to me, John and his team handled it. Hands down that was probably one of the most challenging weddings to date, and it went off without a hitch. So, if you are looking into a difficult venue, you need to book Chowhound now. If you just want delectable food that will knock your socks off, your need to book Chowhound now.

Sent on 07/12/2019

Wow!

Your review made me so proud of my team. ! You guys were so cool to work with.... I am humbled by all of this

Thank you much and may the force be with you

Best, John & the Chowhounds!
  • Queenbee209

Kathy · Married on 04/13/2019

Wonderful food chow hound !!

The wedding went off with out a hitch.
    The food was fabulous. We had a buffet with a prime rib carving station. Everything was delicious , “ My 91 year old mother-in-law” just raved to me. “Who knows better than the wise”
    I would highly recommend, “John Breeland” does what ever you want., If it’s not on his long list of food items he will work with you on whatever your wishes. Also his appetizers were the bomb.
    The only thing that I can think of that was a little bit off might have been the little wrapped hotdogs at the end of the night. Puff pastry tends to shrink-up I think and not hold up real well. We asked for that, it wasn’t on his list. I would not order that but there were no complaints so, there you go, thumbs up !! The price also included non-food items such as dinnerware,

Sent on 06/10/2019

Hi, there!

thank you for the wonderful compliments!

It was a joy to serve you & yours

Kattie Gullekson · Married on 03/23/2019

Excellent Good Tasting

The food that John prep for my Fiance and I exceeded our expectations! We can not wait for our guests to enjoy their meal as we celebrate our marriage in March of 2019!

Sent on 12/11/2018

Andrea Conquest · Married on 01/19/2019

Best food, service, and presentation!

Working with John to create our menu was very simple and he offered a wonderful tasting that allowed us to try everything on our menu! John came up with a wonderful menu for our snack as well! The pretzel bar was a huge hit!

Sent on 02/26/2019

Hi, Andrea!

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! It was an honor!
    And thank you so much for giving us the liberty to create a menu for your first dinner as husband & wife!

Amy · Married on 10/13/2018

Food your guests will remember!!

I would definitely recommend Chowhound Gourmet for any event that needs to be catered. They have a great menu to choose from. I really enjoyed the private tasting prior to our wedding. We knew the food was going to be delicious but we had so many compliments from our guests! The feedback and service was also outstanding!

Sent on 11/14/2018

Hi, Amy!

Thank you so much for the wonderful review!!! We are humbled:)

Nothing but the best for you & Jason

• Rachel

Rachel · Married on 10/06/2018

Excellent all around!

We hired JB Chowhound for our 200+ person wedding reception and it was one of the best decisions we made. John was so easy to work with, responsive, accommodating in every way including working within our budget. Pricing was so easy to understand compared to other caterers we looked at, and there were no hidden fees to surprise us at the end. The staff was wonderful and provided excellent service throughout. And most importantly, the food was incredible! We had so many compliments from our guests saying it was the best food they'd ever had at a wedding and that the staff was amazing. The entire process from initial contact, to tasting, to working out details, to the day off was just perfect. 10/10 would recommend!!

Sent on 12/06/2018

Laurissa · Married on 09/21/2018

It's been 3 weeks since our wedding and everyone is still raving about how good the food was. From our first tasting to exectution of the reception, John and his team was very responsive to our millions of questions and were very flexible to our requests. Due to our venue not having a kitchen, all of the food had to be cooked offsite, and we were nervous about the salmon being dry and the prime rib being overcooked. However, everything was cooked perfectly and was probably some of the best salmon we've ever had. All of his team members were very professional, worked hard and worked with the venue to make sure our needs were met. We would recommend Chowhound to anyone!

Sent on 10/14/2018

chrissy · Married on 09/15/2018

Don't hesitate to book with Chowhound Gourmet. They are attentive, creative, and cater to you and your guests with so much attention to detail. You can taste and see the love and attention that goes into Chef John's food. I would never consider anyone else to cater my events. Chowhound Gourmet is the absolute best there is!

Sent on 01/05/2017

Megan · Married on 09/15/2018

John was incredible to work with! The food was the best wedding food we ever had. Everyone raves over it! And the service was great you could barely tell they were there!

Sent on 09/19/2018

Chris · Married on 09/01/2018

John and his staff were amazing! Everyone loved the food and he was very good about getting back to us whenever we had questions.

Sent on 09/07/2018

Me-Rae · Married on 07/28/2018

Chowhound was absolutely excellent. The food was delicious and while they were setting up, to my knowledge, there were no major hiccups. John was very accommodating to a few last minute changes I made. His staff was also super friendly and my guest really enjoyed all the services they provided. A few of my guest are still raving about the food! Would highly recommend.

Sent on 08/06/2018

Brittany · Married on 07/21/2018

Chowhound Gourmet was an invaluable investment for our wedding. When my husband and I began planning our wedding, one of our top three priorities was the food. We enjoy having experiences around food, and we wanted to curate a dining experience that reflected our enthusiasm for food and combat the typical yet disappointing outcome that wedding food is dry or bland with no personality. We didn’t have to worry about any of that with John. Our first insight into John’s style was his creative and delicious-sounding sample and seasonal menus on his website. Even with those options available, John still worked with us to create a personalized menu that consisted of 3 courses – appetizers, salad, and entrée. The menu reflected our favorite foods and dishes that were exactly in line with what we enjoy eating. We also loved how we were able to tweak the menu to cater to our guests’ various diets and restrictions, including pescaterian, vegetarian/vegan, and gluten-free. Communication with John was clear, prompt, and stress-free. He let us make a couple of changes to the menu, and always sent us the updated version after each change. He was accommodating to last minute changes. The best part of all was that John made it possible for my husband and I to provide our guests with this personalized dining experience at an incredibly affordable rate. He proved to be a hit with our guests too, as we heard that people were asking for seconds and thirds of the entrees! We loved working with John. It’s apparent that he loves what he does and wants to ensure that his clients are happily satisfied. There was no doubt that Chowhound Gourmet was the highlight of our wedding. If you want affordable, yet quality and memorable food for your wedding or event, don’t hesitate for one second to hire John Breeland.

Sent on 08/14/2018
  • Samantha

Samantha Conner · Married on 06/23/2018

Wedding Reception

John executed delicious food and was very flexible to work with! All of our guests raved about it!

Sent on 01/12/2019

Chowhound Gourmet's reply:

Thank you so much for the 5 star review !!! It was a joy to serve you guys!

May the force be with you!!!