Chef's Table Caterers & Event Planners Reviews

100 | Herndon, VA

100 Reviews for Chef's Table Caterers & Event Planners

Michelle · Married on 01/23/2010

The food at Chef's Table is delicious! My fiance and I had to choose a caterer from an approved list from our reception vendor and Chef's Table was the perfect choice for us.
    Agustin and Glennis were fabulous and responded to our requests, needs and wants as well as helped us decide what options to choose. They were very patient with us during our decision process and were genuinely interested in our suggestions during our tasting. The best part is they actually listened to and used our suggestions and preferences at our event, which I think is the best example of quality and professionalism that any client could ask for. We highly recommend Chef's Table for wedding or any social event.

Sent on 04/08/2010

Nancy · Married on 11/28/2009

I cannot write enough great things about Augustin. Working with my family is a nightmare because we are a big Italian lot and everyone had an opinion about everything. He let three people come to my tasting and took every single call and redesign in stride. There was a ton of internal conflict about things and Augustin was so cool about it. He did more to calm my stresses than anyone during the whole wedding weekend! His ideas were flawless and even when my family bombed at carrying some of them out he was quick to come up with plan B during the reception. We ended up eating an HOUR after the set dinnertime but because of his quick thinking the food still tasted great. The next time one of us gets married we agreed we will definitely come back to the Chef's Table! The food was amazing too. An amazing value for the price. And Order the meatballs!! The whole time during pictures I kept getting people to bring me more and the guests gobbled them right up.

Sent on 04/24/2010

Debbie · Married on 07/25/2009

I chose the chefs table to cater my wedding at the Medowlark Botanical Gardens, and I could not be happier with the way things went from start to finish. Agustin is not only a catering guru, but he was the best source of information I had about flowers, layout, and timing. I must have changed the menu at least 4 times, but each time he worked with me and sent an updated contract. The linen/ flatware/ table setting selection was huge, so you will not have a problem finding exactly what you want to match your scheme and style. I interviewed several other caterers before choosing the Chefs table, and from comparing contracts, menus, and prices, the Chefs Table was the best value for the buck (and the best tasting!). I am super picky and generally hard to impress, so this review should speak volumes for how wonderful everything was. The day of the reception went so smoothly it seemed effortless. The wait/bar staff was also very excellent. I would highly reccommed the chefs table!

Sent on 08/03/2009

Allison · Married on 06/28/2008

Agustin was wonderful to work with! He was very personable, responsive, and a great value! The food was amazing and our guest still talk about how wonderful their meal was! The quality of service was great and he personally helped us prepare and manage everything until we got in the limo and drove off into the night! We would highly recommend The Chef's Table Caterers and Agustin to everyone!

Sent on 08/10/2008

Courtney · Married on 05/10/2008

The best food we tasted. Also, Agustin's personality made the day. He had wonderful ideas and was very detailed oriented. We told him our colors (sage green) before our tasting. He created a green apple martini. It was absolutely beautiful with our colors. The prices were cheaper than other caterers in the area and the food was better. All of the servers were wonderful as well.

Sent on 05/28/2008
  • F

Frances · Married on 08/16/2014

The Chef's Table was amazing! Not only was the food delicious, but Augustin helped us through every step of our wedding planning, giving recommendations, and working with our venue to make sure all the details would come together. Augustin was very responsive, and personalized our buffet menu to fit the needs of our guests and to match the vibe of our wedding day. Thank you Chef's Table for helping to make our day so great!

Sent on 09/30/2014

First off I should note I have worked in event planning and my own business deals with wedding planners frequently. TCT is a stellar vendor, we were so happy with our choice in catering! Kelly did a wonderful job helping me through planning and acting as a Day of Coordinator through the reception (as I did not have one). They wow'd us at the tasting, serving us a full meal that we were able to nitpick to get exactly what we wanted, right down to asking for more cream and less chives on the potatoes! They were friendly, professional, and incredibly helpful. Aside from food and dresses, I did the whole wedding myself, and Kelly's help and advice helped keep me sane through the process. And oh my gosh the food. It was delicious! We didn't even notice any change in quality from the tasting to the day of, despite the vast difference in numbers of servings and it having to be prepared earlier. Their chef is just amazing. The only minor things keeping it from being a full on 5/5 was that the cake was cut into very messy pieces, some of them piles of cake crumbles more than a slice and the table numbers got flipped so the front row from the dance floor was lower tables instead of VIP, and family tables got served one later than we intended. The cake was delicious, and beautiful so it was a bummer that it looked so messy served, but it's not like that affected the taste any, and the table flip wasn't that big a deal. I think there was a simple misunderstanding in my explanation of how the layout should go. The tables themselves were arranged perfectly and the favor tables, sign in board, etc were all set up to show them off to their fullest. All in all, I don't think you could find a better vendor out there. From the prices, menu selection, delicious food, flexibility, planning services included, and day of set up and guidance, TCT cannot be beat!

Sent on 06/23/2013

e · Married on 09/04/2016

We loved working with MC and Augustin at the Chef's Table. They are both incredibly friendly, helpful and accommodating. The food was very good and the service was excellent. Would definitely recommend to others.

Sent on 09/27/2016
  • User3357804 · event on: 06/22/2013

We hired The Chef's table to cater a 50th wedding anniversary dinner dance celebration for about 140 guests. The planning, service, and food were all excellent. The coordinator was very responsive. The serving team on the night of the event were all gracious and responsive. The set-up of the room was beautiful. We couldn't have been more pleased.

Sent on 06/28/2013

Monica · Married on 06/22/2013

During the planning process, my fiance & I were invited to enjoy a private meal of the proposed wedding menu, including appetizers and drinks, which allowed us to discuss any modifications with the chef and our event coordinator. It was a nice touch not offered by other caterers, and it became apparent that The Chef's Table was willing to take the time and interest to understand our desires for the wedding. Nicole, our coordinator, suggested a duo of filet and seabass in order to accommodate the tastes of most guests, and this turned out to be a perfect option. More than one guest commented to me on how good the food was, as well as how generous the portions were. A number of great appetizers were served during our cocktail hour, but my favorite was the truffled mac n' cheese on ceramic spoons! This was a fun and unique option suggested to us by Nicole.

My fiance and his friends enjoy their adult beverages, so having a full bar was important to us. Fortunately, The Chef's Table was very flexible in this regard, allowing us to choose and buy which alcohol, beer and wine to serve. The Chef's Table also helped us in leveraging a vendor partner for rental of a true bar, furthering our drinks service.

Nicole was patient and kind with the changes in guest count, linens, etc. that inevitably occurred as our event drew near. Nicole took it all in stride and made sure everything was in place on the big day. My wedding planner was a dear family friend from out-of-state, which could have made communication more difficult, but Nicole rose to the occasion magnificently.

Finally, I appreciated that the contract from The Chef's Table was itemized and detailed - there were no hidden costs or surprises or attempts to "up-sell".

I have fabulous memories from my wedding day - it was even better than I imagined! Thank you, Chef's Table!

Sent on 07/17/2013

Abby · Married on 06/08/2013

The Chef's Table catered for our wedding and did a fabulous job. We had nothing but rave reviews and commentary from our guests. The food offered a lot of variety, was delicious, and beautifully prepared!

Sent on 06/26/2013

Tina · Married on 04/06/2013

We worked with Christina at the Chef's Table and she was a joy to work with. She is a very experienced wedding coordinator and she helped us not only with the catering, but also many details of the wedding planning process. She is very accommodating and provided us with everything we needed on the day of our wedding including head table that fits a specific size, high-chairs, booster seats etc. We opted for a plated duo entree of filet mignon and sea bass. The steak was very tender and the fish was similarly delicious. All our guests raved about the quality of the food. We were impressed with the professionalism of the catering team, and we highly recommend Christina and The Chef's Table to all couples. Thank you for making our wedding a perfect one!

Sent on 04/14/2013

Razieh · Married on 11/06/2011

3.5

I love Glennis!!! She was so amazing before, during, and after the wedding. She ensured that I didn't miss anything related to my linens, servers, flatware, etc and had plenty of creative options for saving a bit of money. My reception hall looked incredible, more beautiful than I had imagined. She and her staff stayed the entire night, and even helped with the clean up afterwards. I had so much fun working with her, and look forward to using The Chef's Table again. Thanks Glennis!!

Sent on 01/04/2012
  • Jessica

Jessica · Married on 06/07/2009

This is one of the best caterers around....with a good and well deserved reputation. Our guests were thrilled over the food combinations and we loved his expertise and willingness to please. Very creative and helpful.

Sent on 06/23/2009

Alexander Castorena · Married on 06/08/2019

3.0

Made our wedding night easy!

Great food! Great service. Saw that all of the catering and serving components of our wedding went off without a hitch, allowing us to enjoy our evening without having to worry about any of it!

Sent on 09/26/2019

Agustin and the team at The Chef's Table provided such great support and AMAZING food at our wedding. Our wedding was in April 2014, and we still hear from our guests how great Agustin was to them and how it was actually tasty and memorable food - from appetizers to the desserts. What I loved most was Agustin's attention to detail and the clear passion he has for making weddings - and any events - memorable. We had some closer-to-the-wedding changes to the menu and site visits and Agustin was flexible in support. He also had creative ideas not just about the reception, but also for the wedding ceremony. I didn't want to spend the money on a wedding planner - and he knew that - so his ideas were definitely appreciated it. His experience was valuable asset to things I wouldn't even think to notice like details around seating arrangements and certain flows across the evening. If you want your wedding to be remembered for delicious food and quality service, while also being reasonable in cost, The Chef's Table is your choice!

Sent on 07/14/2014

n · Married on 05/06/2017

3.5

Great overall value for our wedding, and the guests were very happy with the food that was catered by them.

I have only two complaints: 1). Multiple food allergy problems - had to get the menu revised several times even after explicitly listing the food allergies, and foods that we absolutely did not want served (my husband has anaphylactic reactions to several foods, including tree nuts, and both sides of our families have varying degrees of wheat allergies, from gluten intolerance to celiac disease). However, my guests informed me later that tree nuts were served with one of our appetizers at the cocktail hour (fortunately we didn't have any appetizers since we were doing our photos at that time). I was completely shocked that this happened and I am relieved that there was no cross contamination and no resulting health concerns. As far as I know, none of my guests with wheat allergies had any problems, which was also a relief. 2). I was also later told by my guests of an outburst of an argument that happened in front of my guests about one of the waitstaff getting told off by one of the catering managers about something. This was very awkward for my guests, and I find it embarassing that whatever this issue was, it was not dealt with in private or a more professional manner.

Other than those two issues, everything else went smoothly and it was a pleasure to work with TCT.

If you choose this caterer, and food allergies are a concern, make sure you make it absolutely abundantly clear that food allergies are a concern.

Sent on 08/27/2017

Sandy · Married on 10/19/2013

3.5

I originally worked with Glennis before she left the company. I was super sad to find out that she was not going to be there for my wedding (as she was partly the reason I booked with them). However, the transition to Kelley was wonderful!! Kelley picked up where Glennis left off and did such a great job. I was very indecisive with my linens and she was so patient with me. I was even indecisive with my food choices and she was patient with me as I came back for another trial. I know as we got closer to the wedding, I was emailing Kelley almost every day (sometimes even twice a day) and each time, she was extremely responsive. She and her staff did a great job with everything. The hors d'oeuvres turned out great - it was a big hit and I probably should have ordered more!!! The main entree - I was a little more disappointed. During the trial, our chicken and braised short ribs were extremely tender/soft and so delicious. However, day of the wedding, it was very overcooked and definitely not as delicious as during my trial :( Maybe there were some issues behind the scene and thats why the main entree did not turn out as well. Honestly, I think that was the only major disappointment. However, everything else turned out wonderfully and Kelley and her team were amazing !!!! Kelley truly understands the importance of providing quality service and she definitely did a great job - making me feel comfortable that everything would work out.

Sent on 01/12/2014

3.0

Working with The Chefs Table was great! Kelley is wonderful to work with and feels like family! My planning process started quite a bit before the wedding date and Kelley and her staff mapped out a great timeline and helped us work out all of the details! If you have a wedding coming up, book The Chef's Table!

Sent on 07/19/2013
  • User3669672 · event on: 10/13/2013

4.2

TCT did an excellent job of working with us both in terms of the venue set up and to accommodate food allergies.

Sent on 11/11/2013

3.0

The food was delicious. They had so many options. The guests raved about the food. They set up the reception hall as well. They did a great job in set up. Although, there was a table left out and some guests did not have a place to sit. This is one thing that could have gone better. Overall, it was a very memorable event and I would choose The Chef's table again in the future.

Sent on 06/03/2013

Gwen · Married on 06/05/2010

3.5

I have mixed feeling for The Chefs Table. I like Agustin a lot. He was very nice and sincere and I sign a contract with him for cocktail bar right away (after shopping around at a few places). Things started out great but ended a little bumpy...we ran out of ice and my cousins had to run to get more ice. I also have a few guests complained about their drinks. My husband and I both like their people though!

Sent on 06/24/2010

3.5

Kelley was an amazing help throughout the wedding planning process for my family and I-- her responsiveness and willingness to go the extra mile helped put our minds at ease, and really allowed us to completely trust that we were in great hands.
    On the day of, a few of the details we had laid out ahead of time were not adhered to, which is the reason for the overall quality of service only received 3 stars. Having said that, Kelley was definitely one of our favorite wedding vendor contacts to work with and I would recommend her to a friend in the future.

Sent on 10/20/2013

Kara · Married on 04/29/2017

3.8
      3.0

Worked with Chef's Table this past weekend for my wedding. Working with them leading up to the wedding was great, MC was responsive via email. The tasting was fantastic. Unfortunately, I could have absolutely been more impressed the day of the wedding. For 161 guests it took them over an hour to serve everyone their dinner. This confused me because everything arrived prepared (the venue doesn't have a kitchen to cook in), so it was only a matter of serving it to the guests. Many of the people who were served last had to send their salmon back because it was uncooked and cold. For those who received their meals first they all said it was delicious, but unfortunately almost half the guests were not impressed. Also, the wiat staff was rude. I heard from numerous guests the following day that they had problems with the bartenders and servers. My diabetic cousin needed orange juice prior to the ceremony (her sugars were very low) and it was over 90 degrees outside. The bartender insisted that the bar wasn't open yet, so they couldn't give her any orange juice. Luckily, my uncle flagged down our day of coordinator and she demanded that my cousin be given orange juice. They served all of our cake, including the top tier which is traditionally given to the bride and groom to have on their one year anniversary. My uncle ordered a scotch and soda, and the bartender poured him Jack Daniels and insisted it was scotch. Disappointed for sure, as we had such high hopes for everything.

Sent on 05/03/2017
  • Linni

Linni · Married on 09/28/2019

2.8
      2.0
      2.0

Mixed feelings about TCT

I recently got married at Glen Echo Park in Glen Echo, MD. They require use of approved caterers, one of whom was TCT. We were set on serving pizza and had found a mobile pizza vendor who does farmers' markets in the DMV area. GEP said we could have an approved caterer just do rentals, staff, and alcohol, while the truck makes the food. We booked the venue with this in mind, but then none of the vendors were willing to do this.

Enter TCT! They were willing to work with us on this vision. It did take some convincing, though, and it wasn't always easy, but Maria and Augustin took us on. We were made to feel like a pity case, though—we were told that they "could do a full-day wedding that day," so why would they take us on for half-day and not even doing food? I wasn't asking them to donate services, we were paying customers, so while I understood this angle, I didn't appreciate the tone. Just say yes, or say no. Don't say yes, but then make us feel bad about it whenever you get the chance.

Maria was always a delight to work with, but Augustin is very rough around the edges. I had an uncomfortable initial phone call with him where he was condescending to me and rude, and I had to raise my voice and be stern to advocate for myself. As a paying customer, I wish that hadn't been necessary. I often felt like they were doing us a favor. At our walk-through during which the pizza vendor and TCT had to interact, Augustin acted very childishly towards our pizza chef, ignoring him completely or else doubting his ability to serve a crowd or his experience/knowledge about catering. This put us in a very uncomfortable position. He also insulted our wedding plan and the character of our wedding guests, to our faces several times during the walkthrough, saying things like "These people are going to be drunk. I mean, you're serving *pizza,*" then making a disgusted face. It was traumatizing; I had a panic attack shortly after. (To close that chapter, we had LOADS of booze leftover at the end of the night and no one was even close to inappropriately inebriated.)

We also provided our own glassware, which Augustin criticized (he'd never recommended any particular type before, but said we'd gotten "the cheap kind.")

All of that said, Maria is what keeps this from being a 1-star review. She was wonderful and coordinated our day-of flawlessly. Every little thing we were worried about worked out, and we are very grateful for the hard work Maria must have put into making sure that was so. I was nervous, because the catering team didn't arrive for setup until 3pm (for a 5pm wedding). We did our decorating from 9am--12pm, so anything that had to go on a table, we had to entrust to the caterers, including table numbers, flowers, guestbook, seating chart, and party favors. We had laid out floorplans and emailed detailed lists of things we needed the catering staff to do, and they did all of it. Their trucks were still there unloading rental tables and chairs, etc. at 4:50 p.m., as our guests were walking in. I could have done without that, but it was fine. This could have all been avoided by adding an extra hour or so to our contract, and I wish that had been suggested if the team thought they'd need it.

At the end of the night, the team picked up a few of our items (table numbers, extra party favors) and TCT was willing to hold onto them for weeks while we were on our honeymoon until we could send someone to pick them up. That was a nice touch.

I did feel a little rushed during the reception, as the staff approached me several times about us being behind our proposed schedule. We are pretty laidback and didn't mind if dessert had to be served a half hour later, the schedule wasn't something we wanted to live and die by. I say that fully respectful of the fact that you NEED a schedule to make sure things work out. But we had provided a list of day-of contacts to avoid being the ones to deal with this, so I wish I hadn't been approached about it so frequently night-of.

And lastly -- it is a beer-and-wine-only venue, but we elected to have two "cocktails," one an Italian vermouth & soda and the other a champagne cocktail. We provided specific recipes for these things--my husband and I recipe-tested the proportions of the vermouth & soda at home to get it right. Day-of, the bartenders just freely poured vermouth in, and used flat club soda. It was practically undrinkable, not at all what we had in mind. I wish I'd had time to correct them, but as the bride I barely had time to go to the bathroom, much less correct the cocktail.

If you're getting married in the DMV area and planning a straightforward, full-day catering hire, I'm sure TCT would be a great option for you, and that Augustin may even treat you respectfully. But if you're planning to do anything unconventional and if you have any say in the matter, try to get Maria as your coordinator.

Sent on 11/04/2019