Chef by Design Reviews

91 | Virginia Beach, VA

91 Reviews for Chef by Design

Sharon · Married on 05/22/2016

We had our wedding in Sandbridge in May 2016, and were lucky enough to have "Chef By Design" handle all the catering, beverages / bar, and party rentals for us! We couldn't have been more pleased. Marcy & Joanie were AMAZING, so accommodating, professional, and truly took the worry out of our day -- Which was so needed, as we were planning a destination wedding on the other side of the country from where we live! Everything went so smoothly from start to finish, and they were so kind and wonderful. And, CHEF JOHN'S FOOD was amazing! We had a Hawaiian / island-themed wedding, and Chef prepared a unique & delicious menu for us, catering separately and carefully to multiple food allergies & dietary restrictions within our family & guest list that day... And, the team handled it with ease. Everyone was safe and happy, and we've gotten so many compliments on how delicious and wonderful everything was that day. It was a beautiful day, and my husband and I couldn't have been happier. THANK YOU, "CHEF BY DESIGN!" :)

Sent on 07/13/2017

Katie · Married on 05/21/2016

Joanie and the team at Chef by Design executed a flawless evening for our wedding reception. The food was DELICIOUS - everything from the appetizers, oyster bar, entrees, and special request cobbler bar dessert was on point. We received so many complements from our family and friends on the food. Joanie did 3+ site visits to ensure that the outdoor tented wedding at the home I grew up in would be fabulous. And when the weather called for massive storms, Joanie and the team had the best attitude for doing everything possible to make the night amazing. They also seamlessly executed a room flip and ran an efficient bar for our guests all night. Our goodie bag made a delicious dinner of leftovers the first night of our honeymoon. I HIGHLY recommend.

Sent on 06/06/2016

Chef by Design's reply:

Katie, thank you for your kind words! It was our pleasure working with all of you and making sure your day was perfect for you! Congratulations again!! xoxo

Kathleen · Married on 10/03/2015

Wow, where do I begin. Marcy and Joanie are the most amazing woman to have standing in your corner on your big day! I live in Phoenix, AZ so as you can imagine it is very difficult to plan your big day 3000 miles away. Right from the first phone call Marcy made me feel like I was her first priority. I made a trip out to Virginia Beach one year to the date to meet with Marcy and the Chef by Design group, which is when I met Joanie. It doesn't do it justice to say these women go above and beyond to make your feel like the world revolves around you. The food was amazing, and Joanie stepped up and offered to help out where she could because I lived so far away. Unfortunately Hurricane Joaquin uprooted by beautifully planned beach wedding and the Chef by Design team jumped in to help this super emotional bride out. Not being from Virginia Beach, and having my wedding venue canceled by Mother Nature, I had no idea what to do. I have 100 guests from all over the US in town for a beach wedding during a hurricane. Marcy and Joanie assured me things would work out and these amazing ladies found me a last minute venue 24 hrs before I was to say, "I do". Among all the craziness, last minute changes, dress tearing, and chaos, Joanie and Marcy made sure everything was together. Have you ever had a guest at a wedding ask for seconds? I did, actually many of them. Talk about a compliment to the chef. The food was beyond amazing, and if you like crab cakes I highly recommend them for your menu. My guests raved about the dinner and how pretty everything turned out despite all the madness :) Thank you ladies from the bottom of my heart for all you did to make my day the best it could be with the circumstances we had. Marcy and Joanie from Chef by Design are exactly what you want supporting you on your big day! I absolutely recommend Chef by Design for your big day!

Sent on 01/25/2016

Amelia · Married on 09/26/2015

Chef by Design went above and beyond for our Wedding.
    Marcy and Joanie were so amazing to answer every question, every email, and to take note of every small detail. Leading up to the wedding, they really treated us like we were the one and only client they had and made sure we were comfortable with everything every step of the way. They're not only caterers, but they handled the rentals, and beyond.
    We had made custom chargers for the tables, and they were sure to use them but also collect them to keep them from being stolen at the end of the night. We also had coozies and special champagne glasses for people to keep that they made sure was displayed and used! Our guests raved about the food. The Cocktail Hour, the Charcuterie Boards on each Table, The Duet Plates... even down to the late night Milk & Cookie Shots and later the Pretzels for the bus ride home! We also had them do our Wedding Cake and many of our guests were in awe of the amazing flavor of the Strawberry and Creamsicle layered cake.
    Marcy and Joanie cared about everything being perfect, down to finding boards to cover up mud puddles, dealing with late transpo buses (which was not their hire) and even helping come up with ideas for our rain plan to transform original ideas to incorporate into the new rain plan ideas. The one thing I'll also recommend, in case it doesn't usually come in the package is that we had our own waitress assigned to us who really took care of us, who gave the lead singer of the band a thumbs up for me when I couldn't get up and even putting spray deodorant on me when I realized I had forgotten! Because of her, we got to eat all the food, have drinks whenever we wanted, and really be able to enjoy the Wedding!
    I wouldn't take even a nano second in hiring Chef by Design again, their custom service, attention to detail, and all round amazing work will never be forgotten.
    Thank you so much guys for making our Wedding as amazing as it was!!!
    Amelia & David
    9-26-15

Sent on 09/29/2015

Amelia and David!!!
    Congratulations again~ What an amazing day it was, and we are SO happy for you both. Thank you for your kind words - your wedding was a dream to be a part of, and we wanted it perfect for you. Your "private server" is something that we do for every one of our couples, so that our couples can truly enjoy every moment and feel like a king and queen! :) We wish you every bit of joy and happiness for a lifetime! Marcy, Joanie and CBD Team xoxo

Caitlin · Married on 09/26/2015

Chef by Design did a fantastic job! Marcy was such a joy to work with, she and her team helped us create the feel we were hoping for at our reception. They were part of our amazing vendor team that flipped the room from ceremony to beautiful reception so fast and the food was AMAZING! Chef John worked with us to create a custom ethnic food station that was fantastic. So many of our guests came up to us during the reception and in the days after the wedding to tell us how great our food was! I would highly recommend Chef by Design!

Sent on 10/09/2015

I got SO many compliments on the food from our Vendor. I loved the tasting, they let us eat in peace and discuss the menu. They even created the most delicious cheesesteak to serve at the end of the wedding. The staff were so professional, one of the catering staff even helped when we had trouble bustling my dress! Joanie was such a pleasure to work with and is excellent at her job. I Would definitely recommend this company for any event!

Sent on 06/12/2015

Chef by Design's reply:

Thank you for this wonderful review! We had such a great time working with you both, and we now have that Philly Cheesesteak on our menu as a late night snack! ;) We wish you many, many years of happiness!
    Cheers!! xoxo
    Marcy, Joanie, and the CBD Team

You can't go wrong with Chef by Design. The service and food was perfect and our guests had nothing but wonderful things to say about them. They were there for everything we needed and they helped make our wedding day so very special.

Sent on 10/02/2015

Rebecca · Married on 01/30/2015

On a scale of 0-5, Chef By Design was a 10! Unfortunately the highest score I could give them is a 5. Not only is John an extremely talented chef, but Marcy, Joanie, and the rest of the team's professionalism and generosity helped to make our big night memorable! The CBD staff made sure that my husband & I were well taken care of and that we did not got without that night. They took the time to make sure they got to know us and our tastes in food to make sure that our wedding menu was nothing short of awesome. I can't emphasize enough how much we are grateful to them. We highly recommend the Chef By Design Team!

Sent on 02/17/2015

Jessica · Married on 10/18/2014

We loved Chef by Design from our first meeting with them. They took time to get to know us and what our ideas were for our wedding day. We had difficulty deciding what foods to choose at our tasting because every single bite was delicious. The service on our wedding day was amazing--anytime a server would walk by us, they would check to see if we needed anything. The food was again delicious and we loved having our goody bag for the end of the night!

Sent on 10/26/2014

Liz · Married on 10/04/2014

A pleasure to work with and a creative and talented chef! I was pleased with the price, food, service and presentation. We had a perfect gourmand-approved menu. We special requested a pizza station for our wedding and Chef By Design made it happen with 2 kinda of flatbread pizza set up on a butcher block - nice!

The CAKE: The cake. Off the chain! Compliments all night on how it was the best wedding cake people had ever eaten! CBD makes chiffon cakes, not that traditional dense stuff. It's made FRESH the night before and refrigerated, NEVER frozen. Ours had Nutella in it - watch out! Crowd pleaser!

Sent on 10/27/2014

Alicia · Married on 10/04/2014

Amazing team to work with from start to finish.

Sent on 11/04/2014

Jane · Married on 09/27/2014

By far the best catering experience we've ever had!!! We will never use another caterer. Marcy, the co-owner, was wonderful to work with and helped us plan the perfect reception for our daughter. Both my daughter and son-in-law (and all of the guests!) loved the food; it was displayed beautifully and was delicious!! And there were so many great options to choose from, including vegan and vegetarian, gluten-free, etc. Our guests are still raving about the crab cakes and the mashed potato bar! We love this caterer!

Sent on 10/31/2014

Erin · Married on 09/27/2014

I used Chef by Design for my wedding this past September. Marcy was helpful and patient throughout the planning process. My husband, mom and I had different ideas for the menu and rentals. Marcy worked with us to create a menu and setup within our budget that all of us were excited about. She also coordinated our rentals, assisted with our timeline and even helped us find a DJ that fit the style we were looking for. Our reception was perfect - the food and staff both incredible!

Sent on 12/06/2014

Elizabeth · Married on 09/13/2014

Chef by Design was absolutely wonderful for our wedding! Their food is delicious and was just as good as the tasting. Quality food and reasonable prices for the service provided. The staff is so friendly and does so much more than just provide the food. The service and hard work that went into making our wedding such a success cannot be valued and it is hard to put into words the appreciation of their hard work.

The staff helped move my chairs from inside to outside, and then back inside for the reception, due to the rain. The coordination between them and my planner was amazing and without them, we couldn't have pulled off my perfect image of an outdoor ceremony.

The food was so good and it was very important to us to have our guests recognize the great food at the wedding. Everyone raved about every single thing that was served and it was no wonder that all the food was gone at the end of the night. Everyone left satisfied and the food was better than expected being served in large quantities. They provide full set up and break down and handle all rentals as needed so there is little for you to personally stress over as they have everything handled.

Joanie and Marcy will work with you as much as you need to plan the perfect menu and work within your budget. They both are amazing and you will feel like friends instantly when working with them. I would recommend them to anyone for any catering needs.

Sent on 12/11/2014

Rick · Married on 08/09/2014

Chef by Design had a huge variety of menu items. They were able to provide everything that we requested. The food was incredible. They were very delightful, professional and accommodating. We would highly recommend this company to anyone who is planning a special event.

Sent on 11/01/2014

Sara · Married on 07/19/2014

Fantastic! Ok here's the deal: There are alot of caterers that can pump out food. There are few that can create meals that are as delicious, thoughtful, satisfying, and high-end as Chef by Design Catering Co. The staff are incredibly friendly and active listeners who want your event to be better than expected. They hire wait staff who have the same values as the owners... it is not a wonder to us that they are fast gaining the stellar reputation and growing a client list that such an excellent business deserves. Our guests raved about how good the food and service was and that made us proud as hosts.

Sent on 11/02/2014

Lisa · Married on 07/12/2014

Chef By Design catered my wedding reception July 12, 2014 and did an AMAZING job! I cannot say enough good things about Marcy and Joanie and their entire staff. Right up to my wedding, they were very responsive, open to my ideas, full of even more ideas, and just great to work with. My husband and I wanted specific themes at 3 different stations to represent our different food tastes, so the variety made it complicated. But you would never know that because Chef By Design made it look easy. The food was AWESOME, and my family and friends are still talking about it a month later. At our tasting we got to talk to the chef in person and ask questions, make changes, etc. We requested a few minor changes, and they nailed it at our wedding. Besides the food quality, their staff was so attentive and went above and beyond at our reception. My husband can't eat spinach, so even though our guests were having a spinach salad, Chef By Design served my husband a special salad with different greens. Also, as soon as we sat down for our meal, our guests started approaching us to talk and congratulate us. Marcy was so observant and offered to make an announcement so that our guests would give us a chance to eat first. She had just had shoulder surgery and was still in a sling but still attended our wedding. We were so impressed, and I highly recommend Chef By Design as a caterer. I wouldn't have changed a thing.

Sent on 08/13/2014

Suzy · Married on 06/28/2014

Chef by Design was amazing, delicious and very easy to work with! I wanted to keep the day simple and easy. They helped me make sure I had enough, but not too much and the right combination of food and decorations. They worked within my budget and I never felt pressured to spend more or do more than I was comfortable with. They were very responsive by email and phone. They were always very friendly and I really believe they wanted to make the day special. For instance, we happened to run out of wine (our wedding reception site allowed outside alcohol) without any hesitation they offered to do a wine run for us on the spot! It was great, taken care of and we didn't have to worry about anything. Also......the food was amazing...especially the cake!!!! They have lots of food choices and were also very willing to make adjustments for some of my guests with food allergies and for kids. We would without hesitation hire them again and highly recommend them.

Sent on 10/28/2014

Brittany · Married on 06/07/2014

Marcy and her husband were amazing to work with. They helped create a special menu for our wedding (Shrimp & chicken skewers, avocado and squash on the skewers, over rice pilaf with grilled asparagus wrapped with carrot on the side). The food was beautiful and delicious and cooked onsite, which was hard to find in some caterers. Great communication & service.

Sent on 06/17/2014

Meredith · Married on 05/31/2014

It was such a pleasure to have worked with Chef by Design Catering Co. for our wedding. We worked closely with Joanie and Marcy and cannot say enough good things about them! We were planning our wedding while living in another state and they really worked with our limited schedules to get things done. They also took a lot of work off of our shoulders by handling many of the event rentals such as the tent, dance floor, tables, chairs, napkins, silverware, glassware, bars, etc. They stuck to our vision and executed it perfectly. We really enjoyed the food tasting a few months before our big day, but hearing how amazing the food was from our guests was even better! Chef by Design Catering Co., Marcy, and Joanie turned our dream wedding day into a reality!!

Sent on 07/27/2014

Chef by Design's reply:

Meredith - You guys were a DREAM for us to work with! Thank you for trusting us with so much of your special day! We wish you both the very best, and hope you will stay in touch with us! Much love ~ Marcy, Joanie and team xoxo

It's hard to give a perfect review, because nothing is perfect, but looking back on our wedding 3 months ago, I can't say I wish something went differently with regards to the catering. Chef by Design was a pleasure to work with. They were encouraging, supportive, and extremely flexible. They are really busy but made time to get back to our questions/concerns. They will not be the most affordable caterer, but the quality is unbelieveable and the staff is really professional. We received so many compliments about our food and service. A major bonus was the staff's familiarity with our other vendors and venue. They frequently cater at the Water Table (which is where we had our ceremony/reception), and it made our lives so much easier as they made our vision come to life. They worked so well with our other vendors, as well. I'm so appreciative for their work at our wedding to make everything to smoothly. I (the bride) did not have to worry about a thing!

Sent on 09/08/2014

Elizabeth · Married on 05/03/2014

They really take the time to help you plan a menu that fits your budget, wants and theme of your event. The food is amazing and the staff was almost invisible and very polite and professional. They couldn't get the oven to work where our wedding was held and managed to get food cooked and back with out missing a beat! We didn't even know this happened until after wedding! Truly amazing caterers and would have a party just hire them!

Sent on 11/04/2014

Elizabeth · Married on 05/03/2014

By far the best catering service ever. They work with you to plan a menu that suites your tastes, event, and budget. The staff was excellent, we had butler passed items and they were very courteous, professional and cleaned up to the point you'd not even known they'd been there. They made a plate of 2 of everything for my husband and I without being asked which was very much appreciated. We found out after the wedding that they couldn't make the oven work at our location and managed to cook somewhere else and get the food back in time and hot! The food at weddings is usually forgettable but people raved about our food for weeks after the event. I can't wait for a reason to have another party so we can hire them and eat their food again!

Sent on 11/09/2014

Christopher · Married on 11/02/2013

We worked with Joanie and Marci at Chef by Design for my daughter's wedding a few weeks ago. Kimberly was very particular about the types of food she wanted, how she wanted it displayed, and all the details most brides aren't typically concerned with (we like food!!). Chef by Design worked with us every step of the way to make everything perfect for us. The food was outstanding, the staff was helpful and polite, and they all went the extra mile to make us and our guests feel comfortable and happy. We would absolutely recommend them and can't wait to hire them again for our next event!!

Sent on 11/12/2013

Ariel · Married on 10/12/2013

Chef By Design has a reputation for being one of the best catering companies in the area and I found out first-hand how they truly go out of their way to ensure your event is a memorable experience. I contracted with Chef By Design to cater my wedding but quickly found out that they do so much more for their clients. Our tasting appointment was very personalized and relaxed. The staff made sure they were checking in with us to see what we liked and didn't like but also gave me and my fiance some space to discuss our menu during the tasting. At Chef By Design they were happy to change up some of their standard dishes to fit our needs and tastes, but we didn't have too change much because their food is amazing. Other catering companies we consulted with left us feeling underwhelmed with impersonal, rushed consultations and just did not provide overall the level of service we were looking for. Chef By Design representatives even attended my site walk-through. I could tell they were as excited about the event as I was and appreciated that they took the time on a weekend to come and provide suggestions and solutions as we worked through event logistics.
    On the day of our wedding I can't tell you how fantastic it was to not worry about anything related to our bar, food or service. Not only were the servers and bartenders that work for Chef By Design professional and polite, but the company also handles "back of the house"/ behind the scenes services most brides don't realize are crucial to a well executed event. During our buffet dinner guests were never left waiting for a dish and we never ran out of food. I still get compliments over a year later from guests on how much they loved the food at our wedding.
    If you are looking for a high level of service with quality food and impeccable execution for your wedding or next event, definitely check out Chef By Design. They will work with you at all stages of the planning process to ensure your day goes off without a hitch!

Sent on 10/29/2014