Chef by Design Reviews

88 | Virginia Beach, VA

88 Reviews for Chef by Design

Cat Lehning · Getting married on 11/03/2020

They are the best there is.

We had Chef By Design cater our wedding on 3.23.19 and just like everything they do, it was done with excellence. Chef By Design is the best there is. I did not worry at all because I knew they would take care of us. Chef By Design's staff takes the time to listen and know their clients so that they can best serve them on their day. The food is incredible and the staff is professional and personable. They were a huge contributor to what made our day so special and thoughtful. We are so thankful for Chef By Design!!

Sent on 05/13/2019
  • Kristy

Kristy · Married on 08/03/2019

Foodie dreams

WOW. Chef by Design was truly the way to go for our wedding food. We were absolutely in love with it. We had a beautiful dual plate with beef tenderloin, chicken, mashed potatoes with french onions and green beans. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water. We had over 100 guests and our guests said the food tasted amazing. We even had a little oyster bar during cocktail hour which was super cool as a passed appetizer. HIGHLY recommend if they're within your budget. We opted for a customer supplied bar, which Chef by Design helped us by recommending amounts of liquor based on any specialty drinks or desires. We would hire them again and again!

Sent on 01/19/2020

Melissa · Married on 06/29/2019

Chef By Design is THE BEST!

We can't thank Chef By Design, and specifically Joanie, enough for everything! We contacted CBD about our wedding and they were so easy to work with. We discussed our vision and our food preferences with them. After speaking with them, they invited us in for a tasting. Everything was AMAZING! My husband wanted every single thing they served us! :) I am a vegetarian and CBD went above and beyond to design a perfect menu that included vegetarian options. Joanie was so incredibly kind and was so easy to communicate with when we contacted her.
    Our guests all raved about the food at the wedding reception and cocktail hour. Many people told us it was the best food they've ever eaten at a wedding! At 10:00 pm we served mini pizzas to our guests and those were definitely a hit! We are so thankful we chose Chef By Design and would do it all over again! Thank you so much, Joanie, for everything! We appreciate it more than you know!!

Sent on 07/08/2019
  • Sarah

Sarah Clarke · Married on 11/17/2018

Quality Service and Food!

The entire team at Chef By Design was amazing for our wedding! They were so professional and ous guests were raving about how good the food was! They coordinated some rentals for us too and were so helpful throughout the process. We are very grateful that we decided to hire them!

Sent on 09/19/2019

Eileen · Married on 09/29/2018

We hire Chefs By Design for my daughter's wedding - absolutely wonderful food and the most amazing staff! The staff was extremely professional and helpful throughout the night and took care of every detail - even helping us get things to our car. The food was delicious and everyone had a wonderful time.

Sent on 10/01/2018

Amy Kanter · Married on 09/15/2018

Wonderful!

Wonderful to work with, high quality presentation, delicious food and a team of professional and devoted staff.

Sent on 01/09/2019
  • EML

Elizabeth · Married on 06/22/2018

Oh my gosh....Chef by Design did an amazing job catering our wedding! People said during the wedding that they had never seen steak cooked so well on such a large scale. Everyone said everything they ate was delicious...the ham biscuits and crab cakes were insanely popular of course! You really get what you pay for with Chef by Design and that's incredible professionalism and really taking pride in the weddings they cater.

Sent on 07/13/2018

Chef by Design's reply:

Elizabeth! We miss all the planning with you already! :) You guys were a dream couple to work with and we are so thrilled for you. Thank you for trusting Chef by Design for your big day. Congratulations!!! xoxo

Liz · Married on 06/09/2018

Chef by Design is great!!! They're open to any and all ideas - and literally all their food is delicious! They also have an incredible eye for setting up a beautiful reception - and they really get you excited for your big day.

Sent on 06/18/2018

Chef by Design's reply:

Liz, thank you for your wonderful review. We were so thrilled working with you both, and are so excited for your future together. Congratulations! xo

Maggie · Married on 04/28/2018

My guests still rave about it

We had a steak and shrimp dinner customized just for our wedding and it was delicious. Every single one of our guests were satisfied! They were also very accommodating and easy going about our vegan guests and guests with allergies. It was beautiful! Worth every penny!

Sent on 05/15/2019

Kathryn · Married on 03/24/2018

I have not stopped hearing compliments about the food at my wedding! And I know the compliments are true because the caterers made sure my husband and I sat and ate, and sent us home with tons of leftovers. Every single person we worked with– Marcy in the pitch, Emily in planning, and Slavic the night of the wedding– was a pleasure to work with. Their reputation is stellar because their product is stellar. They made my special request of soft pretzel bites come to life, and took great care of us.

Sent on 04/01/2018

Chef by Design's reply:

Thank you so much for this beautiful review. You and Jay were a dream couple to work with from the very beginning! Congratulations again, and please keep in touch! ~Marcy and the CBD team
  • Bobby

Bobby · Married on 02/18/2018

Food was amazing! Staff was on top of it! And clean up was a breeze! From the meetings prior, to the day of the event, Chef by Design was remarkably easy to work with and the food was spectacular. Thank you again!

Sent on 04/12/2018

Bobby~
    Thank you for your kind words! We were thrilled to be a part of your day - it was beautiful! Congratulations again! ~Marcy and the CBD Team

Lia · Married on 11/19/2017

Chef by Design catered my daughter's wedding reception at the Chrysler Museum in Norfolk. I can't say enough good things about them. The team was meticulous, courteous, accommodating, super nice and extremely professional. The food was exceptional, and everyone was very impressed with both the meal and the service. If you want a top-notch caterer who will deliver outstanding results and take the worry of planning an event out of your hands, Chef by Design is without a doubt the best around. A real pleasure in every regard.

Sent on 11/26/2017

Chef by Design's reply:

Lia, thank you for this amazing review. You were such a pleasure to work with in all stages of planning her wedding. What an amazing night it was! Please send our heartfelt congratulations to all! xo ~Marcy, Chef John and team

Michelle · Married on 05/06/2017

We hired Chef by Design for our wedding and they did a magnificent job! Marcy and her team were awesome, super professional, kind, good at communicating with us, just overall amazing! We didn’t stress at all working with them, they had everything under control. Once we picked the food choices, (which was hard to do because everything was so good) they took it from there. They coordinated with our venue, our wedding planner, and rentals so that everything would flow perfectly, which it did. And of course, the food was fantastic!! Their mash potato martini bar was a big hit. None of our guests had ever seen that before and they thought it was the coolest thing ever. Marcy set everything up beautifully and even made it go with the theme, which was beachy/coastal. The menus had starfish on it, sea shells around the food display, etc. I loved it!! Emily assisted us with choosing the rentals and she did an amazing job at putting all that together. Marcy and Emily really listened and understood perfectly what we had in mind for the room and food. I couldn’t believe how beautiful it was when I walked in, it was like a dream come true!! Another thing I loved was that Marcy made sure that my husband and I got to eat at the wedding ha ha! They served us a plate and brought it over to us as well and “blocked” people from coming to us for a few minutes so that we could eat. It was great! 
    Our wedding was about a month ago, and our guests still tell us how good the food and service was, both at the cocktail hour and during dinner. We were very pleased with them. Look no further than Chef by Design! They are truly an amazing catering company who will go above and beyond to make the day perfect, plus they have good food and are experts at what they do! I will definitely hire them again for a big occasion and we highly recommend that you do as well! 

Sent on 06/12/2017

Chef by Design's reply:

Michelle! Thank you so much for your compliments! We had so much fun working with you, and to see it all come together! You looked absolutely stunning on your special day, and I am so glad we got to be a part of the huge celebration! We all wish you guys the very best!! xoxo ~ Marcy

Elizabeth · Married on 12/31/2016

Six months later, we're still getting compliments about the food and drinks served at our wedding. The Chef By Design team was amazing to work with from start to finish, and I've been recommending their services to all my engaged friends.

Sent on 07/06/2017

Chef by Design's reply:

Elizabeth! It was OUR pleasure being a part of such an amazing and special day! Thank you for your kind words and compliments! We all wish you the VERY best, and congratulations again! xo

Mandy · Married on 09/17/2016

I don't even know where to start with all of my Chef by Design compliments! When we first started speaking with Marcy, we really weren't sure what kind of food we wanted. We were merging a casual southern family with an Italian northern family, so our tastes in food were on opposite ends of the spectrum. Once I explained that, Marcy just ran with it and created an outstanding menu that meshed our differences very well. My in-laws went with us for the tasting and I was a bit nervous, as they're very picky and tend to only eat things they're used to. As we went through the menu, tasting each item and making notations, I noticed my father-in-law writing "Excellent" next to everything!! He rarely uses that word to describe food unless it truly is excellent! I was so relieved and so excited! The food the day of the wedding was just as amazing it was when we did the tasting.
    Our wedding was almost 2 weeks ago, and we're still receiving compliments from our guests about how wonderful everything was! Also, we've received a lot of compliments on the staff. I've been told multiple times that everyone was just so helpful, friendly, and truly seemed like they were happy to be there. To me, good service is just as important as good food, so I'm very thankful to the CBD staff!

Sent on 09/30/2016

Chef by Design's reply:

Thank you so much for your beautiful compliments! We so enjoyed working with you on your special day, and you both were so amazing! We wish you the very best!

Chaz · Married on 09/10/2016

Chef By Design blew us away immediately. Their website makes food selection simple and it was a treat working with Marcy and Joanie. We loved our tasting so much that we decided to use them for our rehearsal dinner in addition to our wedding. We had a beach wedding in Sandbridge so we wanted to include plenty of seafood options. At Marcy’s suggestion we went with a seafood boil for the rehearsal dinner and it was a hit! No worries if seafood isn't your jam: they have plenty of other options including mac & cheese that I still dream about. Our family has a lot of foodies and they were all blown away. If I had a dollar for every time someone said it was the best meal they ever had our wedding would have been free!

Sent on 10/04/2016

Chaz and Jackie~
    It was such a pleasure working with you both for the rehearsal and your wedding! We so enjoyed getting to know you and your wonderful family! Thank you for allowing us to be a part of such a special weekend, and for your kind words! Congratulations!! xoxo Marcy

Danielle · Married on 09/03/2016

Chef by Design went above and beyond on my wedding day to make not only the food, but the experience amazing for me and my guests. My wedding was almost a year ago and I am still having people rave about how great the food was at my wedding! I have already recommended CBD to many friends who are planning their wedding and will continue to keep recommending CBD.

Sent on 07/17/2017
  • Jasmine

Jasmine · Married on 08/26/2016

ABSOLUTE BEST CATERER IN THE HAMPTON ROADS AREA!! Marcy and Joanie were the most awesome people to work with. Even a year later we have folks still talking about how great the food was at our wedding!! They not only made our day extra special, they were extremely flexible with our last minute changes as well provided world class service for us and our guests. Words don't explain how thankful we were to have such a stellar catering company provide the food for our wedding! Thanks again Chef by Design you guys ROCK!!

Sent on 07/10/2017

Chef by Design's reply:

Jasmine! Thank you for your kind words! You were such an amazing bride, and couple to work with! Congratulations again to you both, and we wish you the VERY best! xoxo

Meredith · Married on 07/22/2016

The team at Chef by Design was nothing but the BEST; the most professional, warm and welcoming team that we met with. To this day, my wedding guests continue to talk about how delicious the food was. They worked with me to make all my dreams come true - and made sure that my groom and I actually ate dinner :)

Sent on 08/06/2017

Barbara · Married on 07/16/2016

If you want awesome food at your event, you should hire Chef By Design. We had such a tasty and varied menu. CBD even went the extra mile and re-created a family favorite recipe of Tuna-Q to accommodate all the pescatarians in the family. We also had a nice selection for the vegetarians, vegans and gluten-free guests. Every item was clearly labeled so that those who had food allergies were clear on what they could eat. There was something for everyone. The desserts were gorgeous and delicious. One of our guests was a professional chef and he was amazed at the food and presentation.

Sent on 07/20/2016

Chef by Design's reply:

We were so thrilled to be a part of this beautiful wedding!! Thank you so much for your review, and please tell Mel & Peter congratulations for us!

Anne Reid · Married on 07/09/2016

I wish I could give Chef by Design 6 stars in every category! Marcy, Emily and Joanie and their team were amazing. We did tastings at Chef by Design and with another local caterer and the other caterer's food just paled in comparison. We were blown away by our CBD tasting and couldn't wait to eat it all again at the wedding! Emily was always extremely responsive and was on top of everything for our wedding. We didn't have a wedding planner but they gave us great advice and suggestions when needed. On the evening of our wedding, their staff was on the ball - there were zero hiccups and people even kept commenting to my parents about how amazing the catering/bartending staff was. We bought our own alcohol but used CBD's staff to serve. During the reception (the day was much hotter than we'd expected and people drank a lot more beer than wine), one of the servers offered to make a beer run so that no one would realize we were going to run out of beer. My parents were so grateful & impressed that a server took the initiative to do that! The food was absolutely amazing and 6 weeks later, we still have people tell us how it was the best food they'd ever had at a wedding. If you're going back and forth between CBD and another caterer, you're crazy not to pick CBD!

Sent on 08/21/2016

Chef by Design's reply:

We had such an amazing time working with you all on this gorgeous wedding! Thank you for your kind words!! We truly enjoyed every moment and are thrilled that you were pleased with our involvement on such a special occasion!! xoxo
    Marcy, Chef John, Joanie, Emily and team

Kaitlin · Married on 06/04/2016

We couldn't have gone with a better caterer. Excellent customer service and pristine attention to detail from Marcy, Emily and their team. Not to mention, the food was downright delicious. It was a perfect night! Thanks, Chef by Design!

Sent on 08/05/2017

Christina · Married on 05/28/2016

We hired Chef by Design to caterer our wedding, and they did a phenomenal job! Food was one of the highest priority items for us and Chef by Design knocked it out of the park. The food was delicious! The compliments from our family and friends were nothing but great things to say! They talked about how it was the best food they ever had at a wedding! Marcy and the team are professional, super sweet, and accommodating. We were so impressed, and I highly recommend Chef by Design as a caterer. Thanks Chef by Design!

Sent on 12/08/2017

Sharon · Married on 05/22/2016

We had our wedding in Sandbridge in May 2016, and were lucky enough to have "Chef By Design" handle all the catering, beverages / bar, and party rentals for us! We couldn't have been more pleased. Marcy & Joanie were AMAZING, so accommodating, professional, and truly took the worry out of our day -- Which was so needed, as we were planning a destination wedding on the other side of the country from where we live! Everything went so smoothly from start to finish, and they were so kind and wonderful. And, CHEF JOHN'S FOOD was amazing! We had a Hawaiian / island-themed wedding, and Chef prepared a unique & delicious menu for us, catering separately and carefully to multiple food allergies & dietary restrictions within our family & guest list that day... And, the team handled it with ease. Everyone was safe and happy, and we've gotten so many compliments on how delicious and wonderful everything was that day. It was a beautiful day, and my husband and I couldn't have been happier. THANK YOU, "CHEF BY DESIGN!" :)

Sent on 07/13/2017

Katie · Married on 05/21/2016

Joanie and the team at Chef by Design executed a flawless evening for our wedding reception. The food was DELICIOUS - everything from the appetizers, oyster bar, entrees, and special request cobbler bar dessert was on point. We received so many complements from our family and friends on the food. Joanie did 3+ site visits to ensure that the outdoor tented wedding at the home I grew up in would be fabulous. And when the weather called for massive storms, Joanie and the team had the best attitude for doing everything possible to make the night amazing. They also seamlessly executed a room flip and ran an efficient bar for our guests all night. Our goodie bag made a delicious dinner of leftovers the first night of our honeymoon. I HIGHLY recommend.

Sent on 06/06/2016

Chef by Design's reply:

Katie, thank you for your kind words! It was our pleasure working with all of you and making sure your day was perfect for you! Congratulations again!! xoxo