Cakes by Rachel Reviews

Cakes by Rachel 7
  • Amanda

Amanda Eisner · Married on 11/04/2018

Best Wedding Cake & Desserts

Rachel was recommended to us by our wedding planner, and I'm SO glad we listened. From the beginning, Rachel was extremely kind and easy to work with. Our tasting was one of the highlights of wedding planning for my husband and me! We had so much fun trying all of the different cake and filling combinations in Rachel's adorable bakery.

Rachel really blew us away with the desserts she created for our wedding. She made us a stunning wedding cake - it seriously looked like something from a magazine. Not only was it beautiful but it tasted amazing. Rachel also made as these incredible mini pies to compliment our cake. These were such a hit with guests! Everyone especially loved the chocolate bourbon pecan pies. Rachel also makes the PERFECT and I mean PERFECT chocolate chip cookie. In fact, everyone loved them so much, I wish we had doubled our order!

At the end of the night, each of our guests left with a beautiful box of heart-shaped shortbread cookies, courtesy of Rachel as well. Again, not only were they beautiful but they were absolutely delicious.

Rachel is a kind, good-hearted person who was so fantastic to work with. Her desserts are not only gorgeous, but amazingly delicious as well. Her prices are very fair, which is rare to find in the wedding industry, and I really admire her for that. THANK YOU SO MUCH RACHEL!!!!

Sent on 11/09/2018

Cakes by Rachel's reply:

Thank you so much, Amanda, for your words. You made my whole season! When I read it, I immediately sent it to my crew. It means so much to us that our efforts make people happy. You are a wonderful client to work with. You gave a structure to work with so we knew what you wanted and then gave us enough freedom to be creative. So grateful! I wish you all the best for your marriage. You are the reason we do what we do, no matter what it takes. I am a hopeless romantic when it comes to weddings! My Best, Rachel
  • Annie

Annie · Married on 10/13/2018

Best cake I've ever had

Our wedding cake was to die for. My only dissapointment was that I didn't get to eat enough of it. Rachel and her crew did a fabulous job with our cake. It was a simple 8 inch vanilla chiffon cake with pumpkin mousse and cognac buttercream frosting. The cake was simple and elegant, just what we had hoped for.
    We also ordered gluten free cupcakes and vegan cupcakes for a few guests, and they said they were amazing as well. Rachel was a joy to work with and I highly recommend her creations for your big day.

Sent on 10/16/2018

Cakes by Rachel's reply:

Thank you so much for your generous review, Annie! We were thrilled to work with you to create some sweet treats for your wedding. We wish you a long and happy life together!! With love, The CBR Crew

Chelsea · Married on 09/07/2018

The only food I got to eat on my wedding day was the cake and I don’t regret that one bit. Rachel is beyond talented and after our tasting I was sold! She not only makes beautiful cakes but they are absolutely to die for, our guests couldn’t stop raving about the flavor! Thanks Rachel!!

Sent on 09/23/2018
    Cakes by Rachel 8
    Cakes by Rachel 9

Cakes by Rachel's reply:

Thank you so, so much for your kind words!! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your cake. We wish you a life together that is long and sweet. Best, Rachel and the CBR Crew

Katy · Married on 07/14/2018

Beautiful Designs and Delicious!

Rachel is absolutely amazing and wonderful to work with! We started out by selecting several cakes, different fillings, and different icings via email conversation. My sister and I came for our taste testing set up in her cozy quaint little cottage where she does her baking, to find little slices of the different cake flavors, fillings, and icings labeled in ramekins, and knives/spoons to spread the fillings and layer cake, then finish off with icings until we found the flavor combination we loved! I am not a sweets or dessert person, but I have to say her cakes are one of the best I have ever had! She is very helpful in picking out the right cake stand for your cake, and giving suggestions on cake combinations. We ended up with a 8" single tier bare naked chocolate cake with chocolate mousse and raspberry filling, and vanilla buttercream icing, and then a sheet cake with 1/2 this combo and the other half almond cake with hazelnut filling and white chocolate icing. Our guests raved about our cake at the wedding and we ended up without any leftovers. Choosing Rachel was one of the best decisions we made, and we were so honored and blessed to have her apart of our special day!

Gabriela · Married on 04/14/2018

Both my bridesmaids are gluten free so we opted for cupcakes at our wedding instead of a large wedding cake. The gluten free carrot cake cupcake were DELICIOUS I would highly recommend them even if you do not need a gluten free option. The other three cupcake flavors were also delicious. Rachel was a pleasure to work with and the cake tasting was one of the best wedding planning experience - a lot of fun for me and the groom.

Sent on 04/21/2018

Cakes by Rachel's reply:

Thank you, Garbriela, for you thoughtful review! It was a pleasure to work with you and your family and wish for you much wedded bliss! Please keep in touch and I can't wait to see pictures. Love, Rachel

Michelle · Married on 10/28/2017

Rachel was an absolute pleasure to work with, and our cake looked and tasted wonderful! From the first meeting to the tasting to the wedding day, Rachel is a true professional who knows how to tailor her product to her client. She also did an excellent job decorating our cake with loose flowers with minimal input -- see photos attached. I definitely recommend Rachel for all of your wedding (and other) cake needs!

Sent on 11/19/2017
    Cakes by Rachel 10
    Cakes by Rachel 11

Cakes by Rachel's reply:

Thank you Michelle for taking the time to write a review and upload photos! It was a pleasure to work with you also. Many blessings for your marriage and I hope you keep in touch! All that day I kept thinking how great the fall colors were and that you would be so happy. Smiles, Rachel

Susan · Married on 10/21/2017

Second time we trusted Rachel with one of our daughter’s wedding cakes and she’s done it again! Provided a perfectly yummy and beautiful cake. Most times wedding cakes are average and are unremarkable-especially having to do with taste. Not this one! Delicious and moist right down to the last crumb! Love that mascarpone filling!!

Sent on 11/13/2017

Cakes by Rachel's reply:

Thank you, Susan, for trusting me again. It was a pleasure to work with you and I wish both your daughters much joy and love in their marriages! Please keep in touch.-Rachel

Lauren · Married on 10/07/2017

Rachel was amazing to work with! She squeezed us in to her already busy October schedule and we are so grateful that she did. Her presentation for her tasting was so cute and helpful. She was good at giving us information but also giving us space to discuss and make decisions. Our wedding cake was beautiful and a big hit with our guests! It actually tasted GOOD which is not always the case with wedding cakes!

Sent on 01/16/2018

Cakes by Rachel's reply:

Thank you Lauren! It was a pleasure to work with you and I hope our paths will cross again in the future. Many blessings for your marriage!

Diana · Married on 09/23/2017

If you're even debating between a different bakery and Rachel for your wedding cake let this be the review to sway you. Designing our wedding cake with Rachel was one of my favorite parts of wedding planning. For our first appointment she invited us to come to her shop to do a tasting. The most unique and best part of the tasting was that she didn't offer us a prepared cake, rather, she offered us various different types of cakes, icings & fillings that we could mix and match and play cake maker ourselves to develop the flavor combinations we loved the most. It was from here that she sat down with us and proceeded to free hand draw our cake (I've included her sketch in a picture below) and as you can see, what she drew was EXACTLY what we wanted and was exactly how it turned out. She's hands down is one of the most talented people I've ever met and really made our dreams come true with this cake.

If you're looking for alternative desserts, we also had Rachel bake us mini pies for our wedding.....our guests are still raving about them! :)

Cakes by Rachel 12
    Cakes by Rachel 13
    Cakes by Rachel 14

Caitlin · Married on 06/24/2017

We were so in love with our wedding cake by Rachel, and we loved the process which led to this wonderful cake! We were blown away by the initial tasting, which was in Rachel's cozy and adorable bake shop and included SO many cake options! We tried all kinds of combinations, each of which was delicious. Rachel had many options for presentation, including large cakes, small cakes, cupcakes, all different stands… and she shared her expertise that helped us make our decisions. Although we tried many local bakeries, none came close to being as delicious (or helpful) as Rachel! She was communicative throughout the planning process and she set up all of the desserts on our wedding day. They looked stunning and tasted even better! Our guests are still raving about the wonderful cake and cupcakes. We highly recommend using Rachel as a wedding baker!

Katrina · Married on 06/24/2017

Our wedding was two months ago, and we are still hearing how delicious our cake was! The tasting experience was so much fun, and Rachel provided us with several different types of cakes, fillings and buttercreams to design our very own cake (white chiffon cake with strawberry compote and lemon buttercream, to be exact)! The ingredients were so fresh and we had fun creating our cake! On the day of our wedding, I was blown away with how beautiful the cake looked! The day of our wedding was so hectic and between all of the events and excitement, I did not have an opportunity to eat the cake at the wedding and was so sad! While on our honeymoon, my parents contacted Rachel and they surprised us with cupcakes that were made to mimic our cake! We were so happy to have them when we came home. Rachel was very responsive throughout the planning process and we are counting down for our one year anniversary when we can take the top layer our of the freezer and enjoy it all over again!

Sent on 09/18/2017

Cakes by Rachel's reply:

Thank you so much Katrina for taking time to write this review! And for having me be part of your day. It was a pleasure working with you, too, and knowing that I did my job well makes my day! Please keep in touch.

Julia · Married on 06/10/2017

Rachel made a beautiful and delicious cake for us! We met with Rachel about a year before the wedding for a tasting (which was a BLAST!) and she was very helpful in using our vision to create a cake. She was also helpful with flavor profiles and telling us how big a cake we would need for our guests. On the day of the wedding, Rachel worked seamlessly with our caterer to deliver the cake and decorate it with flowers from our florist. We had several guests tell us it was the best wedding cake they've ever tasted, and we agree! Thanks for everything, Rachel! Can't recommend enough!

Sent on 07/20/2017

Cakes by Rachel's reply:

Thank you so much, Julia, for your kind words and taking time to write a review. I hope you are enjoying you first month of marriage and please keep in touch!
  • Lauren

Lauren · Married on 05/28/2017

We loved everything about working with Rachel! First of all her cakes are beautiful and taste AMAZING! The cake tasting day was one of our favorite days of wedding planning. We visited Rachel in her shop and she set up the most amazing tasting for us - such a fun day! Then the actual cakes for our wedding turned out even better than we could imagine. Thank you Rachel!!!

Lana · Married on 05/06/2017

Rachel was incredibly professional. We told her what we wanted and she absolutely brought our vision to life. More importantly, the cake tasted incredible!! We got compliments on the look and taste all night! Thank you so much!!

Sara · Married on 10/09/2016

Simply put, Rachel was amazing. From the tasting to the final delivery, we could not have asked for a better experience.

1) The tasting was truly a unique adventure and I would advise you go on an empty stomach. We wanted to try pies, cupcakes and a center feature cake. For the tasting, Rachel provided cake bases (Chocolate Sour Cream, Vanilla Butter, Almond, Pistachio) and small tubs of the icing (Bourbon Pecan, Amaretto, Peanut Butter Chocolate, Rose-Scented Butter Cream) so that we could mix bases and tops to our hearts content. She also provided mini pies (Blueberry Peach with an Almond Crumble, Strawberry Rhubarb, Apple) for sampling. Oh my goodness. We left with stomach aches but happy as can be. I also liked that Rachel let the cake bases/icings cool down all morning so that it would be as close to the wedding experience as possible.

2) The communication was superb. She was able to utilize her experience and advised on her suggested quantities. This was spot on and we ended up with only (1) pie at the end of the wedding. We worked out the pricing, delivery and selections all via email and never felt like we were being neglected nor forgotten. We always felt like we were her #1 concern. As our numbers fluctuated, we were able to adjust the quantities accordingly without headache.

3) The final product was unbeatable. Rachel had the entire order delivered and set up to our exact expectation. It was amazing. We had a lot of last second changes and she was so receptive and accommodating. Really a smooth overall experience.

4) My fiance's father is a diabetic and Rachel was more than accommodating with making him special sugar-free mini-pies. He said that they were superb.

Request a tasting, go try her work and see for yourself. I cannot imagine anyone having a negative experience and have only great things to report. The pricing is extremely fair, the desserts were exquisite and the overall experience was easily a 10/10.

Alex · Married on 09/17/2016

We got so many compliments on our cakes at our wedding. They have so many different flavors, all of them were outstanding. We used them for both a wedding cake and a grooms cake. The wedding cake was gorgeous, but where their talents really shone was the grooms cake. They were able to make us 3 different Maryland themed cakes that looked even better than what I had envisioned in my head. I was so pleased with their work, I will absolutely use them in the future.

Mary · Married on 09/10/2016

Rachel (and her cakes) are amazing. Our cake tasting experience was fun and we felt so relaxed with Rachel. She helped us come up with the three best combinations based on what we loved and what we thought our guests would like. Our guests could not get enough of her chocolate cake with peanut butter buttercream and people are still raving about all the flavors! We highly recommend Cakes by Rachel for your big day!

Sent on 09/18/2016

Cakes by Rachel's reply:

Thank you, Mary! I loved making your cake. The only problem was I ate too much of the Peanut Butter Buttercream in the process. Many blessings for your marriage and I hope you keep in touch!

Rachel was professional and kind and helpful from the first moment I contacted her. Her cake tasting was incredible, almost overwhelming with all of the options. I had specific ideas for my cake design and she took my ideas and ran with them. She was always very patient when I changed my mind! Besides being delicious, the cake looked fabulous, too. I had several guests go up and touch it because they thought it was too perfect to be a real cake! Everyone spoke of how delicious it was. Rachel was truly an incredible, top-notch vendor and I would highly recommend her to anyone getting married in the Charlottesville area. Truly an artist at design, and a master at baking! LOVED the whole process with her. Thank you, Rachel. Your cake was a masterpiece!

Lauren · Married on 06/04/2016

Rachel is the absolute BEST!! She was amazing from the minute that I contacted her. Rachel was excellent at communicating via email since this was a destination wedding for my husband and I. Our cake tasting was so fun and she had so many combinations of flavors for us to try. I think the cake tasting was my husband’s favorite part in the wedding planning!! Rachel’s bake shop is adorable and extremely cozy!! We loved her ability to be personal and spend time to get to know us as a couple. She was excited with my ideas and was willing to add her creative touches. Rachel was extremely accommodating when I decided a few months before to change my cake completely – I actually think Rachel was more excited with the new idea than me!! My cake made me “gasp” when I laid eyes on it at our reception. It was everything that I dreamed of…and MORE!!! Truly FLAWLESS!! I would highly recommend Cakes by Rachel to anyone who is getting married in the Charlottesville area – she will not disappoint!!!

Lesley · Married on 05/06/2016

Rachel is amazing. We were looking for an alternative option to a big wedding cake since I'm not a huge fan of cake, and asked Rachel to make us a variety of pies and smaller cakes for a dessert buffet. Not only did those cakes and pies look like something out of a magazine, but they were hands-down the best desserts we have ever had - no exaggeration. All of our guests told us the exact same thing. People were going back for seconds and thirds to try everything, and were loving every single bite. We also loved how Rachel set up our tasting. She has this cute little cottage she converted into her kitchen/tasting studio, and had multiple fillings, cake flavors, toppings, and a pie all laid out for us to mix and match to find what we loved. She also sources most (if not all) of her ingredients locally, including from her own garden. Although we ended up going over our budget a bit, we decided it was totally worth it. We had tastings with other bakeries, and they didn't hold a candle to Rachel's product. Cakes by Rachel was one of the best decisions we made in the entire wedding planning process. Thank you, Rachel!

Sent on 06/18/2016

Cakes by Rachel's reply:

Thank you so much, Lesley, for taking time to write this review. I am very grateful. It was wonderful to work with you and Pat and I loved the way the dessert table worked out. Helping couples bring their visions to life is what I love about what I do. Many blessings on your marriage and keep in touch! ~Rachel

Patrick · Married on 04/30/2016

We are a couple where cake was SUPER important to us. Our theme was classic, old style weddings and we wanted a cake to match. Rachel was our first choice and only choice to bring our vision to fruition. She worked with us for a custom, out of the box recipe for an herb flavored cake for one choice and an explosion of rich chocolate flavors for the second. If you have been to a wedding, then you know that cake can make or break the experience. Rachel's cake left an amazing lasting impression on our guests, they are still talking about it! Also design, we asked for a design that was more custom and represented us as a couple. Not only did Rachel deliver, she was enthusiastic about the challenge. We really could not have asked for more, but we will when we order our anniversary cake next year!

Sent on 05/26/2016

Cakes by Rachel's reply:

Thank you so much Patrick! It was such a pleasure to make your cake and be part of your wedding. I love when the process of designing, planning and creating a cake takes you to the next level of your craft. Working with you and creating your cake did that for me. I am very grateful! Love to you and Glenn.

Kathleen · Married on 12/05/2015

Rachel created the most delicious and beautiful wedding cake we have ever seen! Right from the beginning we knew taste was the most important factor- and her cakes just blew away every other tasting we went to. Rachel was also very easy to work with and we absolutely loved the unique design she created for our cake. We would absolutely recommend Cakes by Rachel for any foodie who wants their guests to be talking about the cake for days :) !!

Sent on 12/10/2015

Cakes by Rachel's reply:

Thank you, Kathleen, for taking time to write the review. And thank you for your kind words. Your cake was the a joy to design and create. The mountains are my favorite inspiration. I wish you the best on your life together, may it be long and sweet.

Lauren · Married on 10/25/2015

Absolutely wonderful vendor to work with! We picked out the "York" for our wedding cake and it was beyond delicious!! We can't wait to have it again on our year anniversary. I would definitely use Cakes by Rachel again for a future event and recommend them to anyone in the Charlottesville and Crozet area.

I can't say enough good things about Rachel and her cakes; she is a baking ninja! I have to admit that the cake tasting was probably my favorite part of the whole wedding planning process. Rachel greeted us at our tasting with a wide variety of cakes, icings and fillings. With tons of wedding experience under her belt she was so knowledgable and able to provide us with great advice around what flavors were the best for each season, what the most popular and well received weddings cake flavors were, cake sizes per guest count, and even where we could save money. Not only are her cakes delicious but her customer service is unparalleled; she is worth every penny. We will definitely be using her again.

Sent on 12/07/2015

Cakes by Rachel's reply:

Thank you so much for your kind words. Knowing I am making people happy and being part of this special time in their lives is why I do what I do!! I wish you all the best.

Jennifer · Married on 10/17/2015

We went for full-size pies: caramel apple, pecan and pear and raspberry. Our only disappointment is that our guests left us barely any pie to take home! The pie display looked fantastic and pies really matched the feel of our day (rustic and cozy, yet elegant). All the pies were delicious, but the pear and raspberry was extra special. Rachel was a pleasure to work with, was very responsive and accommodated all of our requests and last-minute changes. The price was great too. Rachel came highly recommended by our venue (the Inn at Westwood Farm) and we are so glad we went with her and her wonderful pies!