Cakes by Rachel Reviews

Cakes by Rachel 6
Cakes by Rachel 7
  • Patrick

Patrick Haughey · Married on 07/13/2019

Cozy tasting and wonderful cakes

Rachel made a 3 tiered cake for our wedding made up of two varieties (one vanilla buttermilk with raspberries & lemon and one chocolate sour cream with espresso & salted caramel). Our guests loved the combinations and Rachel & team were great to work with. We especially loved the tasting on a rainy winter afternoon in their cozy dining room.

Thank You!

Sent on 08/01/2019

Cakes by Rachel's reply:

Thank you so much! It was a pleasure to work with you! We wish you much happiness. Please keep in touch! -Rachel & CBR Crew

Mary Flood · Married on 06/22/2019

So delicious!!

Admittedly, desserts were the part of our wedding reception that we were the most excited about during the planning process and Cakes By Rachel did not disappoint! Second to seeing my husband as I walked down the aisle of course, I smiled the biggest when I saw Rachel’s gorgeous and delicious dessert table at our reception. From the beginning, my husband and I were blown away by the tasting itself. Rachel put out a spread of goodies that included a variety of her delicious frostings, fillings and cake flavors allowing us to mix and match different flavor combinations. Rachel was so helpful and flexible when we discussed our “mini desserts” concept with her and she helped guide us into choosing a nice variety of desserts with different flavors, textures and looks. Our guests loved everything and left nothing behind!

Rachel was also so helpful and supportive of my crazy idea to bake our own cutting cake myself. She did a beautiful job of decorating it with the flowers as well, so I am forever grateful for her help in making my special cake a reality!

Sent on 07/19/2019

Cakes by Rachel's reply:

Thank you, Mary! We were so happy to be part of your day and you did such a great job with your cake. Well done!! I baked my own wedding cake before I did cakes professionally so careful what you start! :-) I loved the way your display turned out and I can't wait to see pictures. We wish you a wonderful life together. Please keep in touch! ~Rachel and the CBR Team
  • Sean

Sean Bernstein · Married on 06/22/2019

Best Wedding Cake!

Our wedding cake could not have been more perfect. In both execution and taste, it was exactly what we had envisioned! From the first stage of the process, Rachel was eager to learn exactly what we wanted and even more excited to play a small part on our wedding day. The tasting process was very organized and she helped to walk us though what each flavor was, what may blend well together, and to help answer any questions that we had.

The final result was grander and more beautiful than either my wife or myself could have ever imagined. Our cake was two layers—with each layer being a distinct flavor combination—and had gorgeous ornate decorations on the outside. MOST IMPORTANTLY, the cake tasted absolutely incredible! Even weeks after the wedding we had people reaching out to us to tell us how great the cake was. Overall, Rachel did a fantastic job and I would absolutely recommend Cakes by Rachel for a wedding or any event that requires a cake!

Sent on 07/25/2019

Cakes by Rachel's reply:

Wow! You really made our day with that review! It is truly a joy to be a part of such a special moment in our couples' lives! Hearing about the joy you felt on that day is why we come to work! Take care and please keep in touch. :) -Rachel & CBR Crew
  • Natalie

Natalie McGartland · Married on 06/08/2019

Incredible!

Rachel made a cutting cake and cupcakes for our wedding. They were so beautiful and SO DELICIOUS! People were talking about them all night!

Sent on 06/12/2019

Cakes by Rachel's reply:

Thank you Natalie! We loved your dessert display and it was a pleasure to be part of your wedding. We wish you all the best-Rachel and TeamCBR
  • Stacy

Stacy Counterman · Married on 05/05/2019

Best Cake Ever

Working with Rachel and her team was a dream. She has a great heart and passion for what she does, and my husband and I had a fantastic time working with her. The cake tasting was phenomenal and we highly recommend it. ;) Rachel and her team were very responsive, helpful, and flexible throughout the entire process. They will help you create a cake that exceeds all your expectations. Her cakes are beautiful and absolutely delicious! So many people told us how great the cupcakes were. My husband and I are so happy we chose Cakes by Rachel and cannot recommend her enough!

Sent on 06/10/2019

Cakes by Rachel's reply:

Thank you so much, Stacy! It was a pleasure working with you too and I hope you will keep in touch. I wish and Marc all the best!

Laura · Married on 04/13/2019

We loved working with Cakes by Rachel!

While planning, just about every time we mentioned we were working with Cakes By Rachel to another vendor, they’d get immediately excited and tell us what a great choice we’d made- and they were totally right! Dessert was high priority for my sweet tooth, so we decided we wanted a dessert table with a variety of confections. For our tasting, we selected a variety of cakes, buttercreams, fillings, cookies, pies, and bars to taste and everything was 100% delicious, including a few off-menu options such as a snickerdoodle. Rachel helped us figure out a combination of items that would span a lot of our favorite flavors while also complementing each other and helped us design a small cutting cake. The result was a beautiful spread that gave guests a chance to sample multiple items, and by the end of the night it was almost all gone, except for a few samples we stashed for our morning-after breakfast. We would definitely recommend Rachel to anyone looking for an excellent wedding dessert! Some favorites were our cutting cake with vanilla buttermilk cake and lemon curd, the chocolate bourbon bars, and the mini peach crumble pies.

Sent on 04/28/2019

Cakes by Rachel's reply:

Thank you so much, Laura, for your review! It was a pleasure to work with you. Kristin did such a beautiful job on the styling of the dessert table and it was a joy to see your photos being taken when we delivered. The photos of you both in the blooming fruit trees were spectacular! We wish you all the best, Rachel and Team CBR

Lisa Scott · Married on 03/30/2019

Beautiful, Moist, and Delicious

Rachel created the cake for my daughter's wedding, March 2019. The couple went to their tasting session with an idea in mind for what they wanted. Once there they saw what she had done before and were given wonderful choices for flavor samples. By the end, they decided on a different idea.

The presentation was beautiful. The cake was very moist. The filling and icing were so delicious.

Working with Rachel was such a pleasure!

Sent on 04/12/2019

Cakes by Rachel's reply:

Thank you very much for the kind words, Lisa! We love that they had a great experience doing their cake tasting and planning with us. We loved making their cake and we're so glad it was enjoyed by all! We wish them all the best!
    Rachel
  • Emily

Emily Izakowitz · Married on 03/09/2019

Delicious, gorgeous cakes!!

My husband and I absolutely adored our wedding cake. We went with a smaller cake and supplemented with other desserts, and Rachel totally knocked it out of the park. Our tasting experience was wonderful as well! Rachel executed her cake sketch perfectly--it came out exactly as I had dreamed. She was also extremely easy to work with and incredibly professional. We highly recommend Cakes by Rachel!

Sent on 03/14/2019
    Cakes by Rachel 8

Cakes by Rachel's reply:

Thank you, Emily, for your kind words. It was great to be part of your vendor team. I loved your cake's design and that we share a love of honey buttercream. Many blessings to you both!! Mazel Tov!
  • Liz

Liz · Married on 11/17/2018

Simple, yet elegant

Rachel and her team really brought our cake dreams to life. We wanted something smaller and simple, yet elegant and delicious! Man, did she deliver! Our cake was stunning, and was literally the most delicious wedding cake I've ever had. Last minute we asked her to design a specialty groom's cake, made to look like a pizza, and she nailed it! My now husband was overwhelmed by it! We'd highly recommend working with Rachel and her staff at Cakes by Rachel! And we'll be coming back for our anniversary to have our wedding cake again!

Sent on 01/09/2019
    Cakes by Rachel 9
    Cakes by Rachel 10
    Cakes by Rachel 11

Hello Liz,
    I am so glad you selected us to make your cakes! It was great working with you and we had a blast making the pizza cake. I wish you both all the best and we will see you on your anniversary!
    Much Gratitude, Rachel
  • Amanda

Amanda Eisner · Married on 11/04/2018

Best Wedding Cake & Desserts

Rachel was recommended to us by our wedding planner, and I'm SO glad we listened. From the beginning, Rachel was extremely kind and easy to work with. Our tasting was one of the highlights of wedding planning for my husband and me! We had so much fun trying all of the different cake and filling combinations in Rachel's adorable bakery.

Rachel really blew us away with the desserts she created for our wedding. She made us a stunning wedding cake - it seriously looked like something from a magazine. Not only was it beautiful but it tasted amazing. Rachel also made as these incredible mini pies to compliment our cake. These were such a hit with guests! Everyone especially loved the chocolate bourbon pecan pies. Rachel also makes the PERFECT and I mean PERFECT chocolate chip cookie. In fact, everyone loved them so much, I wish we had doubled our order!

At the end of the night, each of our guests left with a beautiful box of heart-shaped shortbread cookies, courtesy of Rachel as well. Again, not only were they beautiful but they were absolutely delicious.

Rachel is a kind, good-hearted person who was so fantastic to work with. Her desserts are not only gorgeous, but amazingly delicious as well. Her prices are very fair, which is rare to find in the wedding industry, and I really admire her for that. THANK YOU SO MUCH RACHEL!!!!

Sent on 11/08/2018

Cakes by Rachel's reply:

Thank you so much, Amanda, for your words. You made my whole season! When I read it, I immediately sent it to my crew. It means so much to us that our efforts make people happy. You are a wonderful client to work with. You gave a structure to work with so we knew what you wanted and then gave us enough freedom to be creative. So grateful! I wish you all the best for your marriage. You are the reason we do what we do, no matter what it takes. I am a hopeless romantic when it comes to weddings!
    My Best,
    Rachel
  • Annie

Annie · Married on 10/13/2018

Best cake I've ever had

Our wedding cake was to die for. My only dissapointment was that I didn't get to eat enough of it. Rachel and her crew did a fabulous job with our cake. It was a simple 8 inch vanilla chiffon cake with pumpkin mousse and cognac buttercream frosting. The cake was simple and elegant, just what we had hoped for.
    We also ordered gluten free cupcakes and vegan cupcakes for a few guests, and they said they were amazing as well. Rachel was a joy to work with and I highly recommend her creations for your big day.

Sent on 10/16/2018

Cakes by Rachel's reply:

Thank you so much for your generous review, Annie! We were thrilled to work with you to create some sweet treats for your wedding. We wish you a long and happy life together!!

With love,
    The CBR Crew

Chelsea · Married on 09/07/2018

The only food I got to eat on my wedding day was the cake and I don’t regret that one bit. Rachel is beyond talented and after our tasting I was sold! She not only makes beautiful cakes but they are absolutely to die for, our guests couldn’t stop raving about the flavor! Thanks Rachel!!

Sent on 09/23/2018
    Cakes by Rachel 12
    Cakes by Rachel 13

Cakes by Rachel's reply:

Thank you so, so much for your kind words!! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your cake. We wish you a life together that is long and sweet. Best, Rachel and the CBR Crew
  • Megan

Megan · Married on 07/21/2018

The perfect wedding cake and so much fun!!

Rachel is a dream to work with!! Her cakes are insanely delicious, and designed so beautifully to exactly what we wanted. As a 'foodie' and someone obsessed with dessert, the cake was very important to me and it really could not have turned out better. It was beautiful but so delicious that I had 2-3 slices at our wedding, ha! She made the whole process so much fun and stress-free, from visiting her shop for our initial tasting (which was incredible - she brought out each cake flavor, frosting, and filling combo we could possibly come up with) through the designing and coordinating with our venue, florist, and planner.

We froze the top tier and had some at our 6 month anniversary (we couldn't wait!) and it was still one of the best cakes I've ever had. Luckily my husband is from the Crozet area, because I'll be wanting to order a mini version once we're all out!

Rachel - thank you so much for everything! Your cake continues to be one of my favorite parts of our wedding. Xoxo
    Megan & Anthony

Sent on 01/29/2019
    Cakes by Rachel 14

Cakes by Rachel's reply:

Thank you, Megan and Anthony! Now I am crying. Reading this warms my heart and is why we love what we do. It was a joy working with you also. I wish you both all the best I will see you on your anniversary! Thank you also for taking time to write a review.
    So much Gratitude, Rachel

Katy · Married on 07/14/2018

Beautiful Designs and Delicious!

Rachel is absolutely amazing and wonderful to work with! We started out by selecting several cakes, different fillings, and different icings via email conversation. My sister and I came for our taste testing set up in her cozy quaint little cottage where she does her baking, to find little slices of the different cake flavors, fillings, and icings labeled in ramekins, and knives/spoons to spread the fillings and layer cake, then finish off with icings until we found the flavor combination we loved! I am not a sweets or dessert person, but I have to say her cakes are one of the best I have ever had! She is very helpful in picking out the right cake stand for your cake, and giving suggestions on cake combinations. We ended up with a 8" single tier bare naked chocolate cake with chocolate mousse and raspberry filling, and vanilla buttercream icing, and then a sheet cake with 1/2 this combo and the other half almond cake with hazelnut filling and white chocolate icing. Our guests raved about our cake at the wedding and we ended up without any leftovers. Choosing Rachel was one of the best decisions we made, and we were so honored and blessed to have her apart of our special day!

Sent on 12/16/2018

Cakes by Rachel's reply:

Thank you, Katy, for your kind words and taking time to write a review. It was great to work with you also and I wish you many blessings for your marriage. Much joy and gratitude to you and Kevin. My Best, Rachel

Gabriela · Married on 04/14/2018

Both my bridesmaids are gluten free so we opted for cupcakes at our wedding instead of a large wedding cake. The gluten free carrot cake cupcake were DELICIOUS I would highly recommend them even if you do not need a gluten free option. The other three cupcake flavors were also delicious. Rachel was a pleasure to work with and the cake tasting was one of the best wedding planning experience - a lot of fun for me and the groom.

Sent on 04/21/2018

Cakes by Rachel's reply:

Thank you, Garbriela, for you thoughtful review! It was a pleasure to work with you and your family and wish for you much wedded bliss! Please keep in touch and I can't wait to see pictures. Love, Rachel

Michelle · Married on 10/28/2017

Rachel was an absolute pleasure to work with, and our cake looked and tasted wonderful! From the first meeting to the tasting to the wedding day, Rachel is a true professional who knows how to tailor her product to her client. She also did an excellent job decorating our cake with loose flowers with minimal input -- see photos attached. I definitely recommend Rachel for all of your wedding (and other) cake needs!

Sent on 11/19/2017
    Cakes by Rachel 15
    Cakes by Rachel 16

Cakes by Rachel's reply:

Thank you Michelle for taking the time to write a review and upload photos! It was a pleasure to work with you also. Many blessings for your marriage and I hope you keep in touch! All that day I kept thinking how great the fall colors were and that you would be so happy. Smiles, Rachel

Susan · Married on 10/21/2017

Second time we trusted Rachel with one of our daughter’s wedding cakes and she’s done it again! Provided a perfectly yummy and beautiful cake. Most times wedding cakes are average and are unremarkable-especially having to do with taste. Not this one! Delicious and moist right down to the last crumb! Love that mascarpone filling!!

Sent on 11/13/2017

Cakes by Rachel's reply:

Thank you, Susan, for trusting me again. It was a pleasure to work with you and I wish both your daughters much joy and love in their marriages! Please keep in touch.-Rachel

Lauren · Married on 10/07/2017

Rachel was amazing to work with! She squeezed us in to her already busy October schedule and we are so grateful that she did. Her presentation for her tasting was so cute and helpful. She was good at giving us information but also giving us space to discuss and make decisions. Our wedding cake was beautiful and a big hit with our guests! It actually tasted GOOD which is not always the case with wedding cakes!

Sent on 01/16/2018

Cakes by Rachel's reply:

Thank you Lauren! It was a pleasure to work with you and I hope our paths will cross again in the future. Many blessings for your marriage!

Diana · Married on 09/23/2017

If you're even debating between a different bakery and Rachel for your wedding cake let this be the review to sway you. Designing our wedding cake with Rachel was one of my favorite parts of wedding planning. For our first appointment she invited us to come to her shop to do a tasting. The most unique and best part of the tasting was that she didn't offer us a prepared cake, rather, she offered us various different types of cakes, icings & fillings that we could mix and match and play cake maker ourselves to develop the flavor combinations we loved the most. It was from here that she sat down with us and proceeded to free hand draw our cake (I've included her sketch in a picture below) and as you can see, what she drew was EXACTLY what we wanted and was exactly how it turned out. She's hands down is one of the most talented people I've ever met and really made our dreams come true with this cake.

If you're looking for alternative desserts, we also had Rachel bake us mini pies for our wedding.....our guests are still raving about them! :)

Sent on 12/15/2017
    Cakes by Rachel 17
    Cakes by Rachel 18
    Cakes by Rachel 19

Caitlin · Married on 06/24/2017

We were so in love with our wedding cake by Rachel, and we loved the process which led to this wonderful cake! We were blown away by the initial tasting, which was in Rachel's cozy and adorable bake shop and included SO many cake options! We tried all kinds of combinations, each of which was delicious. Rachel had many options for presentation, including large cakes, small cakes, cupcakes, all different stands… and she shared her expertise that helped us make our decisions. Although we tried many local bakeries, none came close to being as delicious (or helpful) as Rachel! She was communicative throughout the planning process and she set up all of the desserts on our wedding day. They looked stunning and tasted even better! Our guests are still raving about the wonderful cake and cupcakes. We highly recommend using Rachel as a wedding baker!

Sent on 07/07/2017

Katrina · Married on 06/24/2017

Our wedding was two months ago, and we are still hearing how delicious our cake was! The tasting experience was so much fun, and Rachel provided us with several different types of cakes, fillings and buttercreams to design our very own cake (white chiffon cake with strawberry compote and lemon buttercream, to be exact)! The ingredients were so fresh and we had fun creating our cake! On the day of our wedding, I was blown away with how beautiful the cake looked! The day of our wedding was so hectic and between all of the events and excitement, I did not have an opportunity to eat the cake at the wedding and was so sad! While on our honeymoon, my parents contacted Rachel and they surprised us with cupcakes that were made to mimic our cake! We were so happy to have them when we came home. Rachel was very responsive throughout the planning process and we are counting down for our one year anniversary when we can take the top layer our of the freezer and enjoy it all over again!

Sent on 09/18/2017

Cakes by Rachel's reply:

Thank you so much Katrina for taking time to write this review! And for having me be part of your day. It was a pleasure working with you, too, and knowing that I did my job well makes my day! Please keep in touch.

Julia · Married on 06/10/2017

Rachel made a beautiful and delicious cake for us! We met with Rachel about a year before the wedding for a tasting (which was a BLAST!) and she was very helpful in using our vision to create a cake. She was also helpful with flavor profiles and telling us how big a cake we would need for our guests. On the day of the wedding, Rachel worked seamlessly with our caterer to deliver the cake and decorate it with flowers from our florist. We had several guests tell us it was the best wedding cake they've ever tasted, and we agree! Thanks for everything, Rachel! Can't recommend enough!

Sent on 07/20/2017

Cakes by Rachel's reply:

Thank you so much, Julia, for your kind words and taking time to write a review. I hope you are enjoying you first month of marriage and please keep in touch!
  • Lauren

Lauren · Married on 05/28/2017

We loved everything about working with Rachel! First of all her cakes are beautiful and taste AMAZING! The cake tasting day was one of our favorite days of wedding planning. We visited Rachel in her shop and she set up the most amazing tasting for us - such a fun day! Then the actual cakes for our wedding turned out even better than we could imagine. Thank you Rachel!!!

Sent on 06/17/2017

Lana · Married on 05/06/2017

Rachel was incredibly professional. We told her what we wanted and she absolutely brought our vision to life. More importantly, the cake tasted incredible!! We got compliments on the look and taste all night! Thank you so much!!

Sent on 06/23/2017

Sara · Married on 10/09/2016

Simply put, Rachel was amazing. From the tasting to the final delivery, we could not have asked for a better experience.

1) The tasting was truly a unique adventure and I would advise you go on an empty stomach. We wanted to try pies, cupcakes and a center feature cake. For the tasting, Rachel provided cake bases (Chocolate Sour Cream, Vanilla Butter, Almond, Pistachio) and small tubs of the icing (Bourbon Pecan, Amaretto, Peanut Butter Chocolate, Rose-Scented Butter Cream) so that we could mix bases and tops to our hearts content. She also provided mini pies (Blueberry Peach with an Almond Crumble, Strawberry Rhubarb, Apple) for sampling. Oh my goodness. We left with stomach aches but happy as can be. I also liked that Rachel let the cake bases/icings cool down all morning so that it would be as close to the wedding experience as possible.

2) The communication was superb. She was able to utilize her experience and advised on her suggested quantities. This was spot on and we ended up with only (1) pie at the end of the wedding. We worked out the pricing, delivery and selections all via email and never felt like we were being neglected nor forgotten. We always felt like we were her #1 concern. As our numbers fluctuated, we were able to adjust the quantities accordingly without headache.

3) The final product was unbeatable. Rachel had the entire order delivered and set up to our exact expectation. It was amazing. We had a lot of last second changes and she was so receptive and accommodating. Really a smooth overall experience.

4) My fiance's father is a diabetic and Rachel was more than accommodating with making him special sugar-free mini-pies. He said that they were superb.

Request a tasting, go try her work and see for yourself. I cannot imagine anyone having a negative experience and have only great things to report. The pricing is extremely fair, the desserts were exquisite and the overall experience was easily a 10/10.

Sent on 10/11/2016