37 Reviews for Cakes by Rachel

Cookies (1)
Groom's Cake (1)
Local (1)
37 Cakes by Rachel Reviews

Both my bridesmaids are gluten free so we opted for cupcakes at our wedding instead of a large wedding cake. The gluten free carrot cake cupcake were DELICIOUS I would highly recommend them even if you do not need a gluten free option. The other three cupcake flavors were also delicious. Rachel was a pleasure to work with and the cake tasting was one of the best wedding planning experience - a lot of fun for me and the groom.

Profile Picture Gabriela, 4/14/18, 6 Reviews
Category: Wedding Cake
Services Used: Cupcakes, Gluten Free, Consultations, Delivery, Setup, Private Tastings

Rachel was an absolute pleasure to work with, and our cake looked and tasted wonderful! From the first meeting to the tasting to the wedding day, Rachel is a true professional who knows how to tailor her product to her client. She also did an excellent job decorating our cake with loose flowers with minimal input -- see photos attached. I definitely recommend Rachel for all of your wedding (and other) cake needs!

Profile Picture Michelle, 10/28/17, 5 Reviews
Services Used: Consultations, Delivery, Setup

Second time we trusted Rachel with one of our daughter’s wedding cakes and she’s done it again! Provided a perfectly yummy and beautiful cake. Most times wedding cakes are average and are unremarkable-especially having to do with taste. Not this one! Delicious and moist right down to the last crumb! Love that mascarpone filling!!

Profile Picture Susan, 10/21/17, 2 Reviews
Category: Wedding Cake

Rachel was amazing to work with! She squeezed us in to her already busy October schedule and we are so grateful that she did. Her presentation for her tasting was so cute and helpful. She was good at giving us information but also giving us space to discuss and make decisions. Our wedding cake was beautiful and a big hit with our guests! It actually tasted GOOD which is not always the case with wedding cakes!

Profile Picture Lauren, 10/7/17, 8 Reviews
Services Used: Consultations, Delivery, Setup, Private Tastings

If you're even debating between a different bakery and Rachel for your wedding cake let this be the review to sway you. Designing our wedding cake with Rachel was one of my favorite parts of wedding planning. For our first appointment she invited us to come to her shop to do a tasting. The most unique and best part of the tasting was that she didn't offer us a prepared cake, rather, she offered us various different types of cakes, icings & fillings that we could mix and match and play cake maker ourselves to develop the flavor combinations we loved the most. It was from here that she sat down with us and proceeded to free hand draw our cake (I've included her sketch in a picture below) and as you can see, what she drew was EXACTLY what we wanted and was exactly how it turned out. She's hands down is one of the most talented people I've ever met and really made our dreams come true with this cake.

If you're looking for alternative desserts, we also had Rachel bake us mini pies for our wedding.....our guests are still raving about them! :)

Profile Picture Diana, 9/23/17, 3 Reviews
Services Used: Consultations, Delivery, Setup, Private Tastings, Local, Cookies

We were so in love with our wedding cake by Rachel, and we loved the process which led to this wonderful cake! We were blown away by the initial tasting, which was in Rachel's cozy and adorable bake shop and included SO many cake options! We tried all kinds of combinations, each of which was delicious. Rachel had many options for presentation, including large cakes, small cakes, cupcakes, all different stands… and she shared her expertise that helped us make our decisions. Although we tried many local bakeries, none came close to being as delicious (or helpful) as Rachel! She was communicative throughout the planning process and she set up all of the desserts on our wedding day. They looked stunning and tasted even better! Our guests are still raving about the wonderful cake and cupcakes. We highly recommend using Rachel as a wedding baker!

Profile Picture Caitlin, 6/24/17, 15 Reviews
Services Used: Cupcakes, Consultations, Delivery, Setup

Our wedding was two months ago, and we are still hearing how delicious our cake was! The tasting experience was so much fun, and Rachel provided us with several different types of cakes, fillings and buttercreams to design our very own cake (white chiffon cake with strawberry compote and lemon buttercream, to be exact)! The ingredients were so fresh and we had fun creating our cake! On the day of our wedding, I was blown away with how beautiful the cake looked! The day of our wedding was so hectic and between all of the events and excitement, I did not have an opportunity to eat the cake at the wedding and was so sad! While on our honeymoon, my parents contacted Rachel and they surprised us with cupcakes that were made to mimic our cake! We were so happy to have them when we came home. Rachel was very responsive throughout the planning process and we are counting down for our one year anniversary when we can take the top layer our of the freezer and enjoy it all over again!

Profile Picture Katrina, 6/24/17, 3 Reviews
Services Used: Organic, Consultations, Delivery, Setup

Rachel made a beautiful and delicious cake for us! We met with Rachel about a year before the wedding for a tasting (which was a BLAST!) and she was very helpful in using our vision to create a cake. She was also helpful with flavor profiles and telling us how big a cake we would need for our guests. On the day of the wedding, Rachel worked seamlessly with our caterer to deliver the cake and decorate it with flowers from our florist. We had several guests tell us it was the best wedding cake they've ever tasted, and we agree! Thanks for everything, Rachel! Can't recommend enough!

Profile Picture Julia, 6/10/17, 3 Reviews
Services Used: Consultations, Delivery, Setup

We hired Cakes by Rachel for our wedding cake in June 2017. We could not have chosen a more delicious cake!! From the start of working with her, to the tasting, to the actual cake at the wedding she has been a pleasure to work with. The day that we were able to taste test the cake was probably our most fun wedding planning day! She went over and beyond during the tastings and gave us combinations we didn't even think of. The cake at the actual wedding was so fresh and delicious! Our guests made comments how much they enjoyed it. Thank you, Cakes by Rachel!

Profile Picture Nicole, 6/9/17, 5 Reviews
Services Used: Gluten Free, Consultations, Delivery, Setup

We loved everything about working with Rachel! First of all her cakes are beautiful and taste AMAZING! The cake tasting day was one of our favorite days of wedding planning. We visited Rachel in her shop and she set up the most amazing tasting for us - such a fun day! Then the actual cakes for our wedding turned out even better than we could imagine. Thank you Rachel!!!

Profile Picture Lauren, 5/28/17, 6 Reviews
Services Used: Consultations, Delivery, Setup

Rachel was incredibly professional. We told her what we wanted and she absolutely brought our vision to life. More importantly, the cake tasted incredible!! We got compliments on the look and taste all night! Thank you so much!!

Profile Picture Lana, 5/6/17, 5 Reviews
Services Used: Consultations, Delivery, Setup

Rachel is amazingly talented! From the minute we stepped into her tasting room, we knew she was who we wanted to work with for our wedding. She even had fresh eggs and milk delivered to her door as we tasted! She has a natural, rustic elegance to her flavors and designs. Her cakes were the best we have ever tasted and the combinations she creates are truly unique. We had a Christmas wedding, but didn't want anything too traditional or typical. The cakes she created were exactly our style and we couldn't have imagined a better outcome. We had two cakes made and they were both gorgeous. I know I may be bias since it's my own wedding, but it was the best wedding cake I've ever eaten and our guest said the same thing. Thank you, Rachel!!

Profile Picture Katherine, 12/10/16, 5 Reviews
Services Used: Consultations, Delivery, Setup

Rachel has been a pleasure to work with from the first time I contacted her. My fiance and I weren't able to have a sit down cake tasting with her so we picked up a "to go" tasting on our way out of town. To our delight, we were given several more icings, fillings, and cakes than what we asked for. I'm so glad she gave us extra options to try, because that's how I chose my cake! Rachel is a VERY busy woman, but she always gets back with you! I wanted two unique cakes for our wedding, and Rachel made those ideas come to life. They were the prettiest cakes I've EVER seen, and I hated cutting into them. They were truly works of art. I ended up going with the chocolate sour cream cake with the strawberry filling and a chambord buttercream. My husband ended up going with the red velvet cake with cream cheese filling and a white chocolate buttercream. Rachel delivered our cakes and had everything set up beautifully well before our wedding. She even left us with three boxes! Two for our anniversary cakes, and one for leftovers. People couldn't stop raving about the cakes, and I am so looking forward to a year from now when we can eat our anniversary cakes! I can actually see myself ordering an anniversary cake for her to ship for years to come. Her cakes are THAT good. Rachel, you are a master at your craft, and I am so thankful I found you for our wedding. You made my dreams come true!

Profile Picture Jessica, 10/13/16, 2 Reviews
Services Used: Consultations, Delivery, Setup

Simply put, Rachel was amazing. From the tasting to the final delivery, we could not have asked for a better experience.

1) The tasting was truly a unique adventure and I would advise you go on an empty stomach. We wanted to try pies, cupcakes and a center feature cake. For the tasting, Rachel provided cake bases (Chocolate Sour Cream, Vanilla Butter, Almond, Pistachio) and small tubs of the icing (Bourbon Pecan, Amaretto, Peanut Butter Chocolate, Rose-Scented Butter Cream) so that we could mix bases and tops to our hearts content. She also provided mini pies (Blueberry Peach with an Almond Crumble, Strawberry Rhubarb, Apple) for sampling. Oh my goodness. We left with stomach aches but happy as can be. I also liked that Rachel let the cake bases/icings cool down all morning so that it would be as close to the wedding experience as possible.

2) The communication was superb. She was able to utilize her experience and advised on her suggested quantities. This was spot on and we ended up with only (1) pie at the end of the wedding. We worked out the pricing, delivery and selections all via email and never felt like we were being neglected nor forgotten. We always felt like we were her #1 concern. As our numbers fluctuated, we were able to adjust the quantities accordingly without headache.

3) The final product was unbeatable. Rachel had the entire order delivered and set up to our exact expectation. It was amazing. We had a lot of last second changes and she was so receptive and accommodating. Really a smooth overall experience.

4) My fiance's father is a diabetic and Rachel was more than accommodating with making him special sugar-free mini-pies. He said that they were superb.

Request a tasting, go try her work and see for yourself. I cannot imagine anyone having a negative experience and have only great things to report. The pricing is extremely fair, the desserts were exquisite and the overall experience was easily a 10/10.

Profile Picture Sara, 10/9/16, 7 Reviews
Category: Wedding Cake

We got so many compliments on our cakes at our wedding. They have so many different flavors, all of them were outstanding. We used them for both a wedding cake and a grooms cake. The wedding cake was gorgeous, but where their talents really shone was the grooms cake. They were able to make us 3 different Maryland themed cakes that looked even better than what I had envisioned in my head. I was so pleased with their work, I will absolutely use them in the future.

Profile Picture Alex, 9/17/16, 3 Reviews
Services Used: Consultations, Delivery, Setup, Groom's Cake

Rachel (and her cakes) are amazing. Our cake tasting experience was fun and we felt so relaxed with Rachel. She helped us come up with the three best combinations based on what we loved and what we thought our guests would like. Our guests could not get enough of her chocolate cake with peanut butter buttercream and people are still raving about all the flavors! We highly recommend Cakes by Rachel for your big day!

Profile Picture Mary, 9/10/16, 9 Reviews
Services Used: Consultations, Delivery, Setup

Rachel was professional and kind and helpful from the first moment I contacted her. Her cake tasting was incredible, almost overwhelming with all of the options. I had specific ideas for my cake design and she took my ideas and ran with them. She was always very patient when I changed my mind! Besides being delicious, the cake looked fabulous, too. I had several guests go up and touch it because they thought it was too perfect to be a real cake! Everyone spoke of how delicious it was. Rachel was truly an incredible, top-notch vendor and I would highly recommend her to anyone getting married in the Charlottesville area. Truly an artist at design, and a master at baking! LOVED the whole process with her. Thank you, Rachel. Your cake was a masterpiece!

Profile Picture Kate, 6/25/16, 15 Reviews
Services Used: Consultations, Delivery, Setup

Rachel was awesome to work with! She came highly recommended to us by both our wedding planner and our caterer, and I'm so glad that we chose her to bake our wedding cake. Our initial tasting was held in Rachel's home, which was warm and inviting, much like her personality. She raises chickens and uses their fresh eggs to bake her cakes and other goods. You can really taste the difference! Rachel worked with us to design the perfect cake, and we couldn't have been happier with the result. She also baked us cookies for our guest gift bags, which everyone raved about. All in all, I would recommend Rachel to anyone getting married in Charlottesville, she did a wonderful job and helped make our wedding day extra special.

Profile Picture Sarah, 6/11/16, 4 Reviews
Category: Wedding Cake

Rachel is the absolute BEST!! She was amazing from the minute that I contacted her. Rachel was excellent at communicating via email since this was a destination wedding for my husband and I. Our cake tasting was so fun and she had so many combinations of flavors for us to try. I think the cake tasting was my husband’s favorite part in the wedding planning!! Rachel’s bake shop is adorable and extremely cozy!! We loved her ability to be personal and spend time to get to know us as a couple. She was excited with my ideas and was willing to add her creative touches. Rachel was extremely accommodating when I decided a few months before to change my cake completely – I actually think Rachel was more excited with the new idea than me!! My cake made me “gasp” when I laid eyes on it at our reception. It was everything that I dreamed of…and MORE!!! Truly FLAWLESS!! I would highly recommend Cakes by Rachel to anyone who is getting married in the Charlottesville area – she will not disappoint!!!

Profile Picture Lauren , 6/4/16, 3 Reviews
Category: Wedding Cake

Rachel is amazing. We were looking for an alternative option to a big wedding cake since I'm not a huge fan of cake, and asked Rachel to make us a variety of pies and smaller cakes for a dessert buffet. Not only did those cakes and pies look like something out of a magazine, but they were hands-down the best desserts we have ever had - no exaggeration. All of our guests told us the exact same thing. People were going back for seconds and thirds to try everything, and were loving every single bite. We also loved how Rachel set up our tasting. She has this cute little cottage she converted into her kitchen/tasting studio, and had multiple fillings, cake flavors, toppings, and a pie all laid out for us to mix and match to find what we loved. She also sources most (if not all) of her ingredients locally, including from her own garden. Although we ended up going over our budget a bit, we decided it was totally worth it. We had tastings with other bakeries, and they didn't hold a candle to Rachel's product. Cakes by Rachel was one of the best decisions we made in the entire wedding planning process. Thank you, Rachel!

Profile Picture Lesley, 5/6/16, 4 Reviews
Services Used: Consultations, Delivery, Setup, Organic

We are a couple where cake was SUPER important to us. Our theme was classic, old style weddings and we wanted a cake to match. Rachel was our first choice and only choice to bring our vision to fruition. She worked with us for a custom, out of the box recipe for an herb flavored cake for one choice and an explosion of rich chocolate flavors for the second. If you have been to a wedding, then you know that cake can make or break the experience. Rachel's cake left an amazing lasting impression on our guests, they are still talking about it! Also design, we asked for a design that was more custom and represented us as a couple. Not only did Rachel deliver, she was enthusiastic about the challenge. We really could not have asked for more, but we will when we order our anniversary cake next year!

Profile Picture Patrick , 4/30/16, 6 Reviews
Services Used: Consultations, Delivery, Setup

Rachel created the most delicious and beautiful wedding cake we have ever seen! Right from the beginning we knew taste was the most important factor- and her cakes just blew away every other tasting we went to. Rachel was also very easy to work with and we absolutely loved the unique design she created for our cake. We would absolutely recommend Cakes by Rachel for any foodie who wants their guests to be talking about the cake for days :) !!

Profile Picture Kathleen, 12/5/15, 4 Reviews
Category: Wedding Cake

Absolutely wonderful vendor to work with! We picked out the "York" for our wedding cake and it was beyond delicious!! We can't wait to have it again on our year anniversary. I would definitely use Cakes by Rachel again for a future event and recommend them to anyone in the Charlottesville and Crozet area.

Profile Picture Lauren, 10/25/15, 2 Reviews
Category: Wedding Cake

I can't say enough good things about Rachel and her cakes; she is a baking ninja! I have to admit that the cake tasting was probably my favorite part of the whole wedding planning process. Rachel greeted us at our tasting with a wide variety of cakes, icings and fillings. With tons of wedding experience under her belt she was so knowledgable and able to provide us with great advice around what flavors were the best for each season, what the most popular and well received weddings cake flavors were, cake sizes per guest count, and even where we could save money. Not only are her cakes delicious but her customer service is unparalleled; she is worth every penny. We will definitely be using her again.

Profile Picture User4657756, 2+ years ago, 3 Reviews
Services Used: Consultations, Delivery, Setup

We went for full-size pies: caramel apple, pecan and pear and raspberry. Our only disappointment is that our guests left us barely any pie to take home! The pie display looked fantastic and pies really matched the feel of our day (rustic and cozy, yet elegant). All the pies were delicious, but the pear and raspberry was extra special. Rachel was a pleasure to work with, was very responsive and accommodated all of our requests and last-minute changes. The price was great too. Rachel came highly recommended by our venue (the Inn at Westwood Farm) and we are so glad we went with her and her wonderful pies!

Profile Picture Jennifer, 10/17/15, 5 Reviews