Café Brauer Reviews

Café Brauer 3
Café Brauer 4

Dominique · Married on 04/28/2018

Dream wedding!

We had our wedding here in April 2018 and absolutely loved it! We couldn't have picked a better venue. The venue itself is beautiful and the staff is amazing! Gianna helped us with everything we needed and was always quick to respond. She was also so helpful the day of the wedding, making sure everything was perfect! We also used their catering service - Tigerlily Catering and would absolutely recommend them. We had a brunch wedding and our guests still rave about their amazing waffles and food.

Sent on 04/24/2019
  • Julie

Julie · Married on 12/31/2014

We had our wedding here in December 2014. We fell in love with the vent space, and it was a gorgeous backdrop to our wedding. We worked closely with Jennifer, who was phenomenal at customer service, communication, and planning. Everything was executed to perfection. We also highly recommend the on-site catering service: Tigerlily Catering- they were great and an affordable option! Highly recommend this space- we are glad we selected it and our guests haven't forgotten it!

One note is that if it's really cold out: be sure to ask for extra heaters for the side porch areas!

Sent on 06/10/2016

Cara · Married on 07/01/2011

Such a beautiful and timeless venue.

Sent on 05/22/2013
  • Kristie

Kristie · Married on 01/12/2019

Dream Venue

Cafe Brauer was my dream venue. It is naturally beautiful, and the perfect size for my guest count of 150. The staff did a wonderful job, and I was even able to get into the venue a little early to take first look photos with all of my ceremony decor set up. It was probably my favorite memory of the day.

I got countless compliments from my guests about how good the food was. Shannon was my main contact once we were closer to the wedding, and was very responsive, and even made sure I had a glass of champagne right after the ceremony.

My only complaint would be that the bar is priced pretty high, and the minimums can be frustrating with a lower guest count. Also, communication around the event contract could have been a bit more clear.

Sent on 04/10/2019
    Café Brauer 5

carrie · Married on 08/09/2013

All you have to do is walk into Café Brauer to know you’d be hard pressed to find another venue as beautiful anywhere in this city. Add to this the beautiful views in the surrounding area, from the lily pond just nearby to the bridge overlooking the skyline, and you have a recipe for all the beautiful wedding photos you could ask for.

There was never any question that this was where my wife and I would hold our reception.

The rental on the venue is very reasonable for one of the premier locations in the city, but make sure you book your dates early—we were looking over a year ahead of time, and still ended up booking a Friday because all the Saturdays were taken.

Carrie Woods, the manager, is incredibly helpful at guiding you through all the ins and outs of using the venue. There is, unfortunately, a limited vendor list, but Carrie was happy to work with us on all of our needs and give us recommendations for our budget and plans.

If you’re considering Café Brauer, I can’t recommend it more. And if you want an idea of what a reception there can be like, just take a look at this, a timelapse we did of the day there:

Sent on 01/14/2014

Christine · Married on 05/26/2013

We could not have had a more perfect venue- set in Lincoln Park with an amazing view of downtown. We had our ceremony and cocktail hour on the covered loggia and the reception indoors in the great room- perfect combo. Jennie was our contact person- she is amazing, sweet and responds rapidly. She always answered all of our silly questions quickly and thoroughly. The only downside is that you have to get your alcohol through Brauer which isnt cheap but we knew that before we signed the contract and felt it was worth the cost- and it was. Our guests ket telling us how much they loved the place and we could not agree more.

Sent on 06/11/2013
  • Rachel W.

Rachel · Married on 05/26/2012

The perfect venue for our wedding reception. Cafe Brauer is an absolutely stunning building with an amazing view of the Chicago skyline from the North Loggia. Our contact at Cafe Brauer was very helpful and responded very quickly to any questions we had. Amazing venue although the liquor packages were VERY pricey. All in all it was a dream wedding and I couldn't have asked for a more beautiful setting.

Sent on 07/13/2012

Erin · Married on 05/23/2014

Really loved cafe Brauer! The venue is stunning and memorable and the views are beautiful all around. We were charmed from the very beginning. Being a restored building they are very protective with who they work with and what is brought into the building. Be sure you research the approved vendors so you know what you are getting into. That being said, we were thrilled with our vendors and to an certain extent they range in price and extravagance. Stick to your guns and figure out your finances what you want and don't want- just be smart. Jennie F was our sales manager and showed us the building, very pleasant to work with.

Sent on 05/29/2014

Heather · Married on 06/23/2018

We LOVED getting married at Cafe Brauer! So many people have complimented our venue's beauty and how perfect it was! We worked with Christine and Cassandra. They held some of our self-provided decor for us and even set some of it up, which was really helpful!
    It is quite expensive, especially because of the bar minimums, and you can only use vendors off of the approved vendor list. We loved our vendors, though, so that ended up being just fine!!
    Overall, so happy we got married here and would choose it again in a heartbeat!

Sent on 08/08/2018
    Café Brauer 6
    Café Brauer 7
    Café Brauer 8

Ashley · Married on 03/11/2017

3.0

Cafe Brauer was such a dream venue! Carrie was incredibly helpful in guiding us through the planing process and providing feedback about our decisions. I was initially really nervous about using a venue with a preferred vendor list, but once we started planning, I was rally grateful to have it to narrow my focus/search for vendors and really delighted to find that every vendor I even chatted with had such extensive knowledge of the facilities that they became great planning assets. I was truly able to assemble a dream team to bring my wedding to life!

Sent on 03/27/2017

The most beautiful venue in Chicago! We had the most amazing wedding there! If you are looking for a truly unique and Chicago wedding venue, this is the place!

Sent on 03/28/2013

3.0

I LOVE this venue! It is, in my opinion, the most beautiful in Chicago due to its history, gorgeous look, serene location yet still right in the city, and perfect skyline views. It is pricey for sure (worth it) but tax deductible. One thing that was both a plus and minus is they give a list of pre-approved vendors to choose from. Loses some flexibility there, but also makes the job a bit easier and there are many vendors to choose from. (Also offer various price ranges for caterers, florist, DJs or Bands, etc.) I personally loved ALL my vendors. The only reason I did not love this was I had to plan ALL the major vendors at once right when booking Café Brauer, to be sure they were available on my date. A lot of work at once but then I could relax. LOVE CAFE BRAUER -- everything was amazing!

Sent on 07/29/2013

Steve · Married on 04/20/2012

2.5

Cafe Brauer, probabaly like most venues, has a list of required vendors you must work with. Vendors like caterer, florist, entertainment, etc. That was the only thing we didnt like, but again...thats probably the same as everyplace else. Aside from that...the value for this perfect venue is tremendous. We are VERY happy with this choice!

Sent on 05/30/2012

2.0

Great venue. We had our reception at Cafe Brauer. The room was amazing and the open balconies were perfect. A bit pricey and bar prices were ridiculous. I must say that I couldn't imagine the wedding anywhere else. If you like the rustic feel the place is perfect. Don't expect any flexibility with the bar they are a bit overboard because the security from cafe brauer is right on top of them I mean no warning to anyone at all that the bar will be closing. Other than that the venue is lovely and the bar setup is just right because you don't have to walk across the dance floor to get a drink (when the bar is open)

Sent on 07/16/2012
  • User2055938 · 2+ years ago

3.6
      3.0

Cafe Brauer is the most beautiful wedding venue I've ever seen. I'm so glad it was available for us for our wedding. We got so many compliments and it is stunning in photos (at least the photos taken when it's still light out). If you want a truly "Chicago" wedding, this is the place for you. A few things to be cautious about:

--they have a pretty strict list of approved vendors you are allowed to use so it gets a little pricey
    --you'll save quite a bit on rental if you have a Friday or Sunday wedding. (and alo have more flexibility since Saturdays get filled up way in advance)
    --I recommend having a really great day of coordinator since there's very little set-up time. Everyone there is a pro so it will look great and be ready for you, but if you are a DYI bride, you'll want to have someone there to set things up for you.
    --you won't be able to have a rehearsal the day before so make sure you keep the ceremony simply (we had a 'scene change' in ours so I was a bit stressed tyring to do a quick run-through 20 minutes before the ceremony started).
    --when the sun goes down, the space gets pretty dark so photos are not the best. Not a big deal, especially in the summer, but it's good to have important events (cake cutting, first dance, etc) while the sun is still up.

It really is a beautiful, perfect venue. I think it was the best choice we made in the planning process.

Sent on 07/08/2012

3.2
      3.5
      2.0

Cafe Brauer speaks for itself as a venue. It was perfect for us and we couldn't have imagined having our wedding anywhere else. We had both our ceremony and reception there which was convenient for guests. The room was beautiful both in the daylight and at night. They are not overly accommodating and don't have to be as the venue is in such high demand. They are also not at all flexible on the approved vendor list, but for us this was worth dealing with.

Sent on 08/12/2015

3.2
      2.0

I LOVED our venue, considering this is where we spent our anniversaries and where he proposed. Everything looked beautiful the day of, the only part I did not enjoy was working with the sales manager who had told me we would receive a $1,000 discount off the venue if we selected the in house caterer (who was AMAZING) then when it came time to pay the final bill she pulled up old emails from before the contract was signed stating that I was incorrect and misunderstood.

Sent on 12/05/2012

natalie · Married on 09/06/2008

2.0

Cafe Brauer is a very popular location for Chicago weddings for good reason. The venue is gorgeous, as are the views and the surrounding parks. It was exactly what we were looking for and I could not be happier with my experience that evening or with my photos. However, the customer service was very frustrating. They are totally inflexible on an rules and are unwilling to help you work within them. My contact acted like she knew very little about the space. She could not answer my questions on how to best lay out the dance floor, how much room the band might need or how we should lay out the cocktail hour (which we held in the beer garden). There was also some confusion after the event in regards to the liquor. She had misordered our specialty beer for cocktail hour and we ran out very quickly. I have never received an apology for any of her mistakes. I would rather have walked away with good feelings regarding my reception venue, but unfortunately that is not the case. I would recommend the venue for its beauty and unique ambiance, but not for customer service.

Sent on 10/17/2008
  • johnjohn2718

Walder Frey · Married on 12/28/2018

1.0

Terrible predatory vendor. Don't get married there.

Terrible predatory vendor. Don't get married there.

Sent on 03/21/2019