By the Way Bakery Reviews

By the Way Bakery 4
By the Way Bakery 5

Dyana · Married on 10/05/2019

Exceptional food and service

This is my favorite bakery in NY and when we found out they did wedding cakes, we knew that we needed them to make our cake (both because their baked goods are amazing and because I’m gluten free). From the moment we reached out to find out more about their wedding cake selection, Helene was an absolute pleasure. We met her when we did our tasting and she made the entire experience run so seamlessly. From the tasting, to working out the details in the weeks before, she was fantastic. She was very responsive, gave us all of our options (i.e. different kinds of cakes, delivery v. pick up, etc.) and was very reasonable. The cake itself was phenomenal. We very highly recommend BTW bakery – especially if you are GF.

Sent on 10/25/2019
  • Christine

Christine G · Married on 10/05/2019

Great bakery option for those with special dietary needs

I love BTW bakery and frequently pick items up from there monthly. It was a no brainer to use them for the wedding.

Quentin was helpful in setting up the tasting, answering all of our questions and the size needs for the cake. The room we were getting married in changed in design about a month before the wedding so we altered the cake design and Quentin was very helpful. We also ordered cookies and other misc. sweet items for our dessert table for guests to enjoy which came out beautiful!

The day of the wedding I received a call in the morning that the cake was unfortunately not brought into the bakery in NYC where we were going to pick it up. Instead it didn't make it on the truck but they advised they were going to deliver it to the venue free of charge.

All worked out super well and when a challenge came up they were upfront and communicative. I could not have asked for more.

Our guests loved the cake it was delicious and something people with many different allergies could eat!

By the Way Bakery 6
    Sent on 11/12/2019
  • Marie

Marie · Married on 06/09/2019

Beautiful and tasty!

Helene was amazing to work with! From the first appointment set up chat to the tasting to follow-ups throughout she was a pleasure to work with, super professional and the cake came out amazing! The cake was a hit! We can’t be more appreciative of the work done by this bakery! 5 stars a around!

By the Way Bakery 11
    By the Way Bakery 12
    Sent on 06/11/2019

allie · Married on 07/20/2018

First off I just want to say how much WE LOVE BY THE WAY BAKERY and from the first time I tried their cupcakes I knew this would be the place to get my gluten free wedding cake! Our wedding cake was beyond amazing and beautiful. For the most part our guests had no idea they were eating gluten free cake and multiple people had told us how much they enjoyed our cake! Lia from the Hastings-on-Hudson location helped us from start to finish from setting up our cake tasting, to dealing with my emails and requests and making sure the cake topper and delivery went smoothly, we really cannot thank her enough for all she did for us to make it a wedding cake I could not only eat and enjoy!!! Even if you don't have a gluten issue you should definitely try BTW!!

By the Way Bakery 13
    By the Way Bakery 14
    By the Way Bakery 15
    By the Way Bakery 16
    By the Way Bakery 17
    Sent on 08/15/2018

Stephanie · Married on 10/22/2017

My Husband and I wanted to do something different for our wedding dessert and By The Way Bakery was absolutely amazing to work with in offering gluten free large tarts for our wedding. We chose 5 different flavors and they were a hugeeee hit at our wedding. We hardly had any leftover and everyone raved at how good they were. We also ordered a gluten free Challah from them and it was one of the best gluten free Challahs I have ever tried. You will absolutely not regret working with By the Way Bakery for your wedding!

Sent on 10/30/2017

Jason · Married on 09/09/2017

We had several family members that needed Gluten Free options at our wedding, and By the Way Bakery was the perfect solution. Helene (owner) supported our tasting personally. She and her staff were very helpful as my wife and I didn't go into the tasting with any definitive vision (just a general idea). The cake was incredible and I was amazed at the number of options. They even tested out some decorating ideas and gave us the results before we even signed the contract to ensure we knew if our plans would work. The final product was delivered flawlessly, it was beautiful, and everyone loved it (even those that were not GF thought it was great--we didn't tell them it was GF!).

Sent on 10/09/2017
  • Z

Zack · Married on 09/03/2016

We needed a gluten free and diary free cake for our wedding and fortunately By The Way Bakery has a location near our apartment. As long time customers, we reached out to Helene early on and it was a pleasure working with her. She set up a free cake tasting for us and two of our friends where we tried every variation of cake and frosting that they make. Helene was friendly and patient and guided us through the tasting. Once we had picked the type of cake and frosting that we wanted, we worked with Helene to determine the design of the cake. We never had to worry about anything in terms of delivery-- Helene reached out to the venue and arranged everything.

The cake was delicious (one bridesmaid ate four slices) and everyone loved it. The cake was affordable and the bakery provided us with a 4 inch cake to save for our first anniversary. We recommend By The Way highly, even if you are not gluten or dairy free!

Sent on 09/11/2016

Danielle · Married on 07/16/2016

Helene and the BTW staff are amazing. The cake was absolutely everything I thought it would be. The yellow and gray theme shined through. The cake was SO good I had 2 slices on my wedding day :) NO ONE knew it was gluten free and BTW bakery made it possible for me to feel like a "normal" bride. I didn't have to think about my celiac disease once on my wedding day. We used the bakery for my shower cake and now that we found this gem will use it for all future events where we need a cake. It was surprisingly affordable for a 206 person wedding and they delivered to the venue. I expected the price to be jacked up due to it being gluten free. I would say it was comparable to buying a non gluten free wedding cake. Helene was a sweetheart. I will be sending her pictures of us and the cake for sure!

Sent on 07/18/2016

Jessica · Married on 10/09/2015

I recently got married in NYC. We had one wedding cake already from a different venue but I am lactose intolerant and so I wouldn't have been able to eat it. My maid of honor came here and got a second cake that I would be able to eat and ended up being really great because we had several lactose intolerant guests too. The cake was amaaaaaazing! Looked so pretty and tasted really good! Highly recommend :)

Sent on 11/13/2015

We used By the Way Bakery for our wedding cake and could not be more thrilled! We needed to find a pareve (non-dairy) cake to comply with our venue's kosher rules, and given the state and ingredients of most kosher desserts, I had all but decided to skip out on having a cake altogether. And then we found BTB Bakery. Helene was warm and communicative from the start and set up a tasting with us at their NYC store. Each of the six cupcakes we tried was FABULOUS. They ended up making us a lemon cake with icing made from fresh raspberries to serve 250 guests... perfect for a summer day. Helene delivered it *personally* to our venue several hours away from NYC. Several guests told us it was the best wedding cake they'd ever eaten, and no one knew it was gluten- and dairy-free. I would recommend BTB Bakery to anyone, regardless of their dietary limitations or lack thereof. Fabulous fabulous fabulous.

Sent on 07/16/2015

By the Way Bakery is THE place to get your wedding cake, whether or not you eat gluten free. The service was spectacular from start to finish. Helene and her team did a wonderful job and even took the time to learn how to make a Norwegian wedding cake for our wedding. I cannot say enough wonderful things about this bakery. The food is delicious, the staff helpful and caring, and their professionalism is top notch.

Sent on 10/31/2014
  • User4462074 · 2+ years ago

By the Way Bakery is sent from heaven for GLUTEN-FREE ladies like me! We ordered a two tier coconut cloud cake for our wedding, plus 100 mini coconut cupcakes for our guests. I've tried literally every gluten free cake on the market, and BTW's cake out shines them all. It is so delicious and moist that you can't even tell that it isn't "normal" cake!

Our wedding cake was beautiful, simple, and elegant. The cupcakes were a huge hit too, and they worked great with our other passed desserts. Everyone was raving about the cake and cupcakes, and I didn't tell anyone they were gluten free!

Helene, the owner, is wonderful to work with and she handles all wedding orders herself. She is very responsive and answers every question you may have, no matter how silly they may seem! She walked us through our cake tasting in her NYC shop, then delivered the cake on our wedding day, so I knew we were in good hands the whole time. I love By The Way and I can’t wait to celebrate our next big event with more of their delicious desserts!

Sent on 10/16/2014

Eileen · Married on 06/28/2014

My guests could not believe the cake was gluten and dairy free! The owner was very flexible and considerate.
    They also have a NYC location

Sent on 07/09/2014

Alyson · Married on 08/25/2018

I am gluten-free and my husband is not but we still wanted to partake in the tradition of cutting the cake. In comes By the way Bakery to save the day! The cake we got from them was insanely delicious and no one, my husband included, could tell that it was not glutinous! Helene was wonderful and easy to work with - very responsive, she let us try some samples before we ordered to make sure it was what we wanted even though we were ordering a smaller cake and ended up helping us combine a few different flavors to get the exact cake we were looking for (coconut cake with coconut and chocolate frosting - YUM!). I seriously can't wait to unfreeze and eat the top on our first anniversary :)

By the Way Bakery 18
    By the Way Bakery 19
    Sent on 09/14/2018

Amy · Married on 07/17/2016

My now husband has celiac and we got price quotes on cakes from a couple of different places. Helene at BTW responded almost immediately to our inquiry and could not have been more fantastic throughout the process. From the tasting to sending us pictures of what the cake would look like with the sugar flowers, which were exactly what I had pictured. We didn't have to worry about a thing and the best part is the cake was delicious! BTW is our new local bakery for all everyday and future party needs. The final product exceeded my expectations.

Sent on 08/10/2016