Blue Plate Catering Reviews

Blue Plate Catering 5
Blue Plate Catering 6
Blue Plate Catering 7

Meganne · Married on 08/06/2011

Great service and fantastic food! Blue Plate catered our August wedding at Café Brauer and we were extremely pleased with their food and service.
    My husband and I were really concerned about having great food at our wedding – and we accomplished that goal by hiring Blue Plate. From the start, Blue Plate provided us with great options. We decided that we wanted to do stations instead of the traditional sit down meal. Before we even got to the tasting Blue Plate had a huge list of station options to choose from. We were able to find stations that met both of our demands (we went with a tapas station, a steakhouse station, and a Greek station).
    At the tasting Jessica, our contact with the company, was great. She explained everything to us and really made us feel at ease. The food was excellent as well. In fact it was so good that my husband was asking for seconds. As a result, we had a hard time narrowing down the menu. Not only did Jessica help us with our food choices, she also made some great recommendations about other vendors we would need to use (hotels, florists, coordinators, etc.).
    Jessica changed venue assignments with the company, so Ken was our new contact after the tasting – but he was equally as great. Ken immediately called to introduce himself and helped us iron out all of the details for our big day. Ken was a real joy to work with.
    The staff from Blue Plate was fantastic at the wedding! They were attentive and focused. Members of the staff, including Ken, were kind enough to go get us food from some of the stations. In addition, they were friendly to all of our guests. Best of all, the food was great (just as good as it was at the tasting). We are still hearing from guests about how much they loved the food.

Sent on 10/12/2011

Cara · Married on 07/01/2011

Worth every penny! I wanted three awesome things at my wedding: photographs, DJ, and FOOD! Blue Plate has impeccable service, food quality, and professionalism. Ken was our contact and made our evening so special! LOVE!

Sent on 05/22/2013

Sarah · Married on 05/07/2011

My husband and I were extremely pleased with the attentiveness, patience and helpfulness of Blue Plate in the planning process. Both of us very extremely busy and had to put off our tasting on multiple occasions. Ken Severin, our Blue Plate guy, made everything easy. He gave us great food options that made it easy to pick a menu. He was very amenable when I asked if we could change our napkin color the week before the wedding. On the day of the wedding, his team managed everything well. If anything went wrong, I had no idea about it. We were well fed and I was extremely happy with the quality and taste of everything.

Sent on 12/23/2011

Elizabeth · Married on 03/05/2011

The food at our wedding was amazing! Thank you Blue Plate! A number of guests commented on how much they enjoyed our food. It was by far the best food I have ever had at a wedding or large event.

I am allergic to gluten and Blue Plate was incredibly conscientious in making sure that everything was strictly gluten free, even coming up with creative ways of doing appetizers.

Ken Severin is a true professional and a joy to work with. He might be the most polite person I have ever met and at the same time is direct when he needs to be. He made sure everything ran smoothly and was attentive to the even the tiniest details. Thank you Ken!

Sent on 03/08/2011

Janice · Married on 09/03/2010

Blue Plate was one of the best choices I made in my wedding. Ken Severin handled all the details wonderfully and was delightful to work with. Additionally, they gave us a lot of flexibility in our menu items and always promptly replied whenever we had any questions or concerns. We received so many compliments on the food and everything turned out beautifully!

Another thing to note was their wait staff was incredibly professional and thoughtful. They even courteously set aside a full platter of hors d'oeuvres for us to enjoy whenever there was a private moment. I would highly recommend their services to any bride planning her special day.

Thanks!

Sent on 12/10/2010

jenn · Married on 07/03/2010

The food was AMAZING! The caterers were very professional and they knew what they were doing. Great value also. There was lots of food and I know the bride is not supposed to pig out on her wedding day, but it was so hard not to eat! The food was absolutely delicious! This is simply THE BEST!

Sent on 07/16/2010

Shelly · Married on 05/28/2010

We live in NJ and had our wedding in Chicago- Ken at Blue Plate went above and beyond for us.... Ken was polite and on point with everything! The food was amazing, our guests were blown away! And so were we! Ken helped us with the details, planning, and even advised us what to choose for the cocktail hour, main course, and even down to helping us choose wine with our main courses! AMAZING! AMAZING!!!!!

Sent on 07/10/2010

Bethany · Married on 05/01/2010

Look no further! I was very selective and knew what I wanted, and Blue Plate made it into a reality for far less than I thought they would. I was concerned about making things the way I wanted them to be and being about to afford it, and they made sure that it happened. FLAWLESS!

Sent on 05/22/2010

Jacqueline · Married on 09/13/2009

AMAZING!!!! people are STILL talking about the food served at our event. Ken was amazing to work with (very responsive & accommodating throughout the whole experience) and the food was to die for!

We LOVED our experience with Blue Plate and wouldn’t change a thing (expect perhaps to eat more and save some for later!).

They worked with us on creating options not already available, the food was DELICIOUS and the presentation even better!!!

I only wished I still lived in Chicago so I could use them for every party!

We love you Blue Plate!

Sent on 01/13/2010

erin · Married on 09/19/2008

These guys were awesome. They even had one server dedicated to the bride, groom and immediate members of the family to make sure everyone ate! (Ours was a high-end cocktail party....)

Sent on 10/09/2008

Porsha · Married on 07/25/2008

The food was delicious!

Sent on 02/16/2009

Morgan · Married on 07/13/2013

I worked closely with Ken, and expectations were exceeded beyond anything I could have hoped for. They made me feel like my wedding was the only one they were working on... which was definitely not the case.

To start, during our initial conversation prior to signing anything, Ken gave invaluable suggestions that were specific to our reception space. He was a wealth of knowledge and professional through and through. Also there was attentiveness of emails, down to the last detail, and they never waned in patience and attention to all of these small details.

Blue Plate worked with all of my vendors (florist and lighting mainly) to the point that I pretty much didn't even need to interact as the middle man.

Once the day came along, my husband and I felt like the king and queen. We had a dedicated staff member making sure we had drinks and enough to eat. She handled everything including making sure our belongings and the bridal/groomsmen's belongings were secure. It was such an unexpected treat that made us feel so special. Also, very early on in planning with Blue Plate I mentioned to Ken that the grooms party like "captain and coke" drinks. Well sure enough... I barely remembered even saying this, and each groomsman spot at the head table had an ice cold captain and coke waiting for them after introductions. Additionally, my parents and my husband's parents had staff members specifically looking after their needs and wants as well.

Of course, this wouldn't be complete without mentioning the actual food and drinks. For apps we chose mini cheeseburgers, a gazpacho shooter, an

Sent on 10/21/2013
  • gaygroom

Jonathan · Married on 08/30/2010

There is a reason that Blue Plate is one of the top caterers in Chicago. From the moment I called their offices I felt taken care of and guided through a very foreign process. I spoke with Ken and he stayed with us through the whole process including overseeing the actual event. Ken listened to our needs and vas always very considerate of our budget. When, at the last minute we decided to have the ceremony inside and needed to rent 50 more chairs, he made it happen with absolutely no stress to us and helped us so we didn't have to pay an arm and a leg.

Blue plate handled not only our food but also out rentals. We got the opportunity to see in person every item that we were considering, from flatware to wine glasses and table cloths. When we walked into the room on the day of the event, we were blown away at how beautiful everything looked. And the food was absolutely delicious!

What really made Blue Plate stand out though was the quality of service on the day of the event. We had a personal server who always made sure we had water and saved special hours d'oeuvres so we too got to eat while visiting our guests. The main comment from our guests was how impressed they were with the level of service. Every one of the staff was key in making the evening outstanding!

I would recommend Blue Plate to anyone who is planning a wedding or an event in Chicago.

Sent on 10/21/2010

Jamie · Married on 05/01/2010

Blue Plate has amazing, restaurant-quality food. They are not the cheapest, but I definitely feel that what you get is worth the price. They are extremely professional, (we worked with Ken), and had great suggestions for table linens as well as other vendors. They also do recognize that people have budgets and work exceptionally hard to give you the best for the money. Their food, presentation, and overall customer service was amazing!

Sent on 05/14/2010
  • Y

Yolanda · Married on 08/11/2007

From the first day we met Kelly at Blue Plate, we were very impressed with the presentation and quality of the food and service. Setting up an appointments with her were very easy. She responded very quickly via email and was very flexible about the details and changes we made throughout the process. On the day of our wedding the staff was incredible. They catered to our guests and every moment from the ceremony to the cocktail reception and through dinner they did an exceptional job. My husband and I were very impressed with the way they coordinated their service with our venue (Chicago History Museum). We had other caterers to choose from, however we went with Blue Plate and that was definitely the best decision we made. Kelly and her staff were so attentive from the beginning that we never had to worry or get stressed on the day of the wedding.

Sent on 01/22/2008

Cheryl · Married on 10/04/2013

We received the most compliments on our food! It was so delicious. We did the chilean sea bass and free range filet. They were so flexible with all our requests! They even received, plated and served my grandmother's cookies! They are very familiar with the Chicago venues and were so easy to work with!

Sent on 06/12/2014
  • User3042058 · 2+ years ago

Extremely flexible and easy to work with! Our tasting and options were AMAZING!! The day of, we had dedicated wait service & my husband & I were soo pleased!

Sent on 02/04/2013

Blue Plate did an amazing job on our wedding! Nicole was so helpful in working with us and coming up with creative ideas to reach a price we were comfortable with. She revised the proposal, tweaking little details countless times until it was exactly how we wanted it. At the wedding, the food was delicious and the service was unbeatable! The appetizers were unique, easy to eat and tasted amazing. We had over 250 guests and Blue Plate was able to serve all of our guests warm, delicious meals in a very short timeframe. They also coordinated well with our other vendors so that we did not have to think about anything related to the food, linens, set-up etc. on the day of our wedding.

Sent on 11/29/2012

Jacline · Married on 05/02/2008

Great food and service. Would reccommend to anyone!

Sent on 04/22/2009

Kristi · Married on 09/17/2011

We were very happy with our catering from Blue Plate. We did a station-style vegetarian meal, and were impressed with the wide variety of options provided within those restrictions. Laura Ekker was very helpful from start to finish, and happily accommodated our menu changes following our tasting. They did a great job giving a meal a hearty feel with tons of variety so as to please an almost completely non-vegetarian crowd. The service provided was also fantastic - all of the bar and wait staff were friendly, professional and helpful.

Sent on 01/11/2012

Lenard · Married on 12/06/2008

Great food, excellent selection of both food and drinks. Amazing service, they really knew what they were doing and had good personalities mixed with their professionalism.

Sent on 12/24/2008

Aleksandra · Married on 09/01/2007

Blue Plate is one of the top catering companies in Chicago. Though their prices may seem steep, they offer much more than just food. They can handle all your rental needs (from linens to tents) and provide a day-of coordinator to help with any onsite details. Their staff is top-notch. Plus, the food got so many compliments -- not typical of most "wedding food."

Sent on 05/16/2008

Kori · Married on 09/01/2007

The director of this company, Jody Fife is exceptional. She has made a name for herself in the great big city of Chicago for a reason. The food was great, well balanced, well priced, hot when it hit the table. We had a lot of great feedback about our food.

Sent on 11/03/2008

Aimee · Married on 09/10/2005

We decided to have a less formal buffet dinner -- because it was the most practical considering our guests' varying palates -- and the most cost-efficient.

The food was excellent -- to this day, we get compliments about how great the food was! (When was the last time your remember what you were served at a wedding?)

We also rented table linens -- as well as all of the furnishings for the ceremony. The service was top-notch and the gallery looked beautiful.

Sent on 02/06/2008

Nicole · Married on 09/01/2018

3.5

Our wedding venue had a list of 4 preferred catering vendors we were allowed to work with and after meeting & negotiating with them all, Blue Plate was the clear winner. Not only did they offer the lowest quote, but our sales consultant (Kate Facklis) was fantastic from the get-go! She wined-and-dined us during the tasting, was incredibly helpful when it came time to customize our wine & linen selections, and as a recent bride herself she offered genuinely good advice along the way that helped us spend our limited budget on the things that mattered most. On the day of the wedding the Blue Plate team knocked it out of the park! There was never a long line at the bar, the food came out hot, each guest at a table was served at the same time, and it was beyond awesome to have a personal server assigned to us whose sole job that night was to make sure we never had an empty glass in our hands. Even though we went with the lower priced menu options, our guests still raved about how delicious each course was. I'm probably one of the few brides out there who can honestly say I ate everything on my plate that day :) We highly recommend Blue Plate catering!!

Sent on 09/21/2018