Blue Plate Catering Reviews

Blue Plate Catering 6
Blue Plate Catering 7

Sarah Marzano · Married on 11/03/2018

Best service ever!!

People are still telling us that our food was so memorable from our wedding and the service that went a long with it was impeccable! We are so lucky to have had Blue Plate as our caterer! We worked with Stephanie and she was wonderful!

Sent on 03/13/2019
    Blue Plate Catering 8
    Blue Plate Catering 9
    Blue Plate Catering 10

Blue Plate Catering's reply:

Thanks for the great review, Sarah! We're so happy to hear that you and your guests enjoyed the food and service. We'll pass along the kind words to Stephanie!
  • Heather

Heather · Married on 09/22/2018

Amazing catering company!

Blue Plate's food is SO good! We got so many compliments on the food and I know they say bride and groom never eat the night of, however, my husband and I cleaned our plates! So good! We worked with Helen from Blue Plate and she was extremely professional and patient throughout the entire process and made tasting and menu creation so easy! Blue Plate also did our cake and it was so yummy! Couldn't have asked for a better experience and we highly recommend booking them!

Sent on 10/17/2018

Brittany · Married on 06/09/2018

Blue Plate is exceptional! They helped us every step of the way from creating our perfect menu, to arranging the seating chart. I highly recommend, their food is phenomenal and their service is impeccable!

Sent on 07/10/2018

D.B. · Married on 11/24/2017

Blue Plate catered our daughter’s wedding.
    We needed “turnkey” service and they more than met the standard. From our first telephone contact with Matt Morgan to our meeting with our “day of” coordinator Brent Geiger to the chefs and waitstaff for the wedding, everything went smoothly. Matt and Brent’s menu suggestions were spot-on; the food was delicious and presented beautifully. The staff set-up and clearing seemed effortless and our house was left spotless. We need to add one additional positive to this recommendation. We contacted 3 other caterers and gave all caterers the same information and the same request. Although all said “of course, we can”, Matt’s Blue Plate proposal was the only one to incorporate the request in the proposal. Blue Plate listens! We highly recommend Blue Plate, Matt and Brent.

Sent on 11/25/2017

Kristina · Married on 10/14/2017

We selected our venue, A New Leaf in Chicago, and Rachel from Blue Plate happened to be there meeting with a client that same day. She was so bubbly and pleasant and gave us her card right away and the rest is history. We felt so taken care of and she is a true professional and industry expert. During our tasting the food and service blew us away and we trusted her so much that we selected many of our other vendors from her recommendations.

During the planning process we felt like Rachel always had a knowledgeable answer for literally every little detail. The wedding day did not disappoint either - we had a team making sure we were staged for the ceremony, prompted us for walking down the aisle and greeted our guests with cocktails immediately after walking out of the ceremony space. Our personal server was such a nice touch - we were able to enjoy many apps, full plated meals and always had a drink in hand...he even found us on the dance floor later in the night :)

The food we had was buffet style and open seating, but easily the best wedding food I have ever had. Our guests raved about the Fall menu and also about the wait staff and bartenders.

Overall the wedding planning process can feel intimidating and we can easily say that working with Blue Plate was a huge factor in making the process stress free and fun - and the quality exceeded our expectations. Our actual wedding day was the rainiest day in Chicago history which I know caused logistical challenges, but our team never missed a beat and we were so thankful.

You are all the best! If you are planning a wedding, I highly recommend reaching out to Blue Plate and scheduling a tasting.

- Kristina & Andrew

Sent on 11/26/2017

B · Married on 10/07/2017

Amazing food, excellent service, wonderful to work with!

Sent on 10/13/2017

Susan · Married on 09/29/2017

Many people at my table turned to me and said, clearly surprised, "This food is really good!" The compliments kept coming all evening. Here's a testimonial from our nephew, who brought himself and family from Amsterdam to attend:

"Just wanted to say that we had a great time and thought that it was a spectacular wedding. Thank you for having us....the food was best I’ve ever had at a wedding (and the chicken fingers for kids was very much appreciated)."

Boom! Of all the components of a wedding reception, having tasty food was the most important to me personally. Blue Plate was so fantastic in every way, top to bottom, plus the food was delicious and hot, and everyone was so nice.
    Thank you! Susan, Mother of Bride

Sent on 10/09/2017
    Blue Plate Catering 11
    Blue Plate Catering 12
    Blue Plate Catering 13
  • Z

Zach · Married on 07/03/2017

Wow Wow Wow!! My wife and I (still getting used to saying that) were completely floored at not only the impeccable food you served to our guests but the amazing service we received from the entire Blue Plate staff. Our contact, Rachel went above and beyond on several different occasions leading up to and at the wedding to guarantee we had the picture-perfect day from start to finish. She took on so many tasks and responsibilities the day of our wedding that went well beyond her "contracted responsibility" and we couldn't have been happier or more thankful. Our wedding would not have been the same without her and her amazing team there! Thank you Thank You Thank You 1,000 times over!

Sent on 12/20/2017
    Blue Plate Catering 18
    Blue Plate Catering 19
    Blue Plate Catering 20

Khadijah · Married on 10/01/2016

My husband and. I had a terrific experience. We had an intimate wedding at the Garfield Park Conservatory. The small room was transformed into an amazing oasis. The service was magnificent. Our guests enjoyed the food and were pampered by the staff. The event flowed seemlessly. We will use them for our anniversary dinner

Sent on 10/09/2016

Shawn · Married on 09/23/2016

We had an absolutely wonderful experience working with Elinor Brown for our September 2016 wedding at the Rookery in downtown Chicago. First off, the food was amazing and we received tons of compliments from our guests on how the food at our wedding was the best 'wedding food' they have ever had. From the appetizers, to the dinner stations and the bar set-ups, it was all top notch quality and service was great. Regarding planning, from the get-go Elinor was responsive, helpful, easy to work with, honest and always was willing to put in extra effort in order to help guide us through the planning process. Elinor worked as both our caterer and venue liaison, and though we were a bit worried about the logistics in the beginning of the planning process, she made sure everything went smoothly, and our wedding day turned out better than we could have ever imagined. Thank you so much Elinor, and the entire staff at Blue Plate, for giving us the wedding of our dreams!

Sent on 01/01/2017

Blue Plate was amazing. From the initial conversation to the tasting to the day of. Nikki, Kate, and Samantha provided incredible service. They were organized and detail oriented. On our wedding day, we were so comfortable and did not have to worry about anything related to catering. The food was amazing as well.

Sent on 10/15/2016

Caitlin · Married on 10/24/2015

They say that guests will forever remember the food at your wedding, so it was imperative to me that we have great food at our October wedding. Blue Plate was a clear choice for us, not only was the tasting amazing, but they worked with my husband & me, my parents, and our wedding planner to customize things just the way we wanted. Additionally, the team worked with one of my friends who is a baker to help me incorporate her into our desserts and made them fun Halloween themed just for me. This was something Blue Plate didn't have to adhere to, but because they did, I'm forever grateful!

The quality of their ingredients is perfection - their chicken and especially the short rib was just AMAZING! The only disappointing part of it all was that my husband and I hardly got to eat - pretty typical, I guess, but being a foodie, I'm pretty bummed about it! If only we could do it all over again!

Ten months later, our guests are still telling us how amazing our food was! Thank you Rachel & Blue Plate!

Sent on 08/19/2016

Laura · Married on 10/10/2015

Blue Plate was an excellent choice and Missy was fantastic! She was very responsive to our requests and questions and I feel she really cared about making our day special and memorable!

Sent on 10/25/2015

When we had to find an alternate caterer a MONTH before our wedding I freaked. However, Ken and Andrea at Blue Plate made everything better from the moment we walked in for our consultation. The service was outstanding and communication. FOOD was amazing. The night of our wedding everything was flawless and plates cleaned of food from our guests. I highly recommend. They were very accommodating to allergies too.

Sent on 12/10/2015

Kaylan · Married on 07/18/2015

Blue Plate is awesome! We worked with Katie G for our July 2015 wedding. From the start she was great! Our tasting was fabulous and she was just super fun to be around - she really made it a great experience which was part of why we chose them! The food at the tasting was delicious! I stuffed my face! It was all so good!

We got married at a location that didn't have a kitchen so I was a little worried about how all the food would transfer and taste the day of. It was just as good as I remembered!! We had so many compliments on it and that it was hot!! Not cold like most weddings!

Working with Katie and Blue Plate was great! They were super easy and accommodating. We really appreciate it and would recommend them to anyone!

Sent on 07/22/2015

If you're looking for a caterer I HIGHLY recommend Blue Plate - especially if you can work with Rachel! Rachel was an absolute delight to work with. From our initial meeting/tasting to her saying goodbye the evening of the wedding - she made the process so easy - and I am picky! Not only was the food fabulous, but we were able to provide our own liquor - which was a huge plus. Our ceremony was in the same space as our reception so the Blue Plate staff had to do a full flip (with barely anything preset since it was such a small space) in under an hour - and they delivered! Truly, every aspect of Blue Plate's service was top notch. I can't tell you how many emails I wrote Rachel - all of the special touches I wanted incorporated, she made happen. Don't hesitate - book a tasting with Blue Plate and you'll be convinced - and be sure to ask for Rachel!!

Sent on 08/27/2015

Erin · Married on 10/25/2014

We had the absolute pleasure of working with Missy Wright at Blue Plate. Missy has such a wonderful energy, from the very beginning she made us feel confident we had chosen the right caterer. The tasting, though! HOW FUN! We brought some of our wedding party and all were wowed! Food was delicious, presentation was impeccable, and they really listened to us and helped us create a menu in our budget that catered to our more casual tastes. The one thing that really made a difference was the service we received on the day of our wedding. Missy made sure that there were servers assigned just to us! At every turn they made sure we had a cocktail (which we inevitably set down every time we hugged someone and then it disappeared!), they created our very own hors d'oeuvres tasting plate to nosh on before being announced at the reception, then they went to every food station and created us a tasting plate from each so that we could spend our time greeting our guests not having to worry about forgetting to eat. It was truly spectacular - the personal servers were a magical touch! Missy and her team helped make our day feel completely flawless and we can't thank them enough!

Sent on 09/10/2015

Kerry · Married on 10/04/2014

We used Blue Plate Catering for our wedding in October and absolutely LOVED them! We worked with Elinor and she was beyond fantastic. From day one she was responsive, accommodating and we felt like she was genuinely interested in our wants and needs as a client. We were very nervous about choosing our catering vendor as we would consider ourselves "foodies" and wanted to make sure the food was on-par with the quality of food that we typically enjoy. When we had our tasting we really felt like they catered the menu to our likes, dislikes and preferences as a couple and customized a fantastic menu for us that we thoroughly enjoyed. We had a few other tastings with other companies and Blue Plate was by far the best. It didn't feel or taste like wedding food at all. On the day of our wedding, everyone RAVED about the food and said it was the best wedding food they'd ever had. Again, Elinor was amazing to work with and went above and beyond her duties. We didn't have a wedding planner and in many ways she acted like one for us and helped with so many detail and last minute requests. Everything came out exactly as we had imagined and Blue Plate and Elinor were integral in making that happen! They really were a huge help in making our dreams come true on our wedding day!

Sent on 03/08/2015

Sarah · Married on 09/12/2014

I worked with Missy at Blue Plate and she was amazing! Everyone was great and I had no worries that my wedding would be perfect in their hands! I absolutely loved them and would recommend them to anyone.

Sent on 09/20/2014

Blue Plate catered our wedding reception and we couldn't be happier! They took the stress out of the planning and the food was delicious. The staff and bartender were very professional and friendly. They took care of everything, including boxing up the leftovers.

Sent on 08/25/2014
  • Michelle

Michelle · Married on 10/12/2013

We cannot say enough good things about our experience working with Missy Wright and Blue Plate for our recent wedding! Their flexibility and willingness to work with our budget was refreshing (we didn't feel like just another wedding)...attention to detail was huge! Further, our guests RAVED about the food! And how often do people make positive comments about wedding food?! The professionalism was top notch; we highly recommend to anyone!!

Sent on 10/15/2013

Jenna · Married on 08/17/2013

This is going to be a tough review for me to write. I have SO many words of appreciation, recognition and thanks for Ken and his entire Blue Plate Staff.

From the start, we had an instant connection with Ken. We knew we wanted to work with him from the moment we met him. However, when we tasted his food, that sealed the deal for us and our entire family.

We through him challenges to achieve and he nailed every one of them each time. Food was a BIG DEAL for us and he was there every step of the way to bring it all together.

I can't tell you how many comments and WOWs we received about every aspect of the food. From the mini "bar food" at cocktail all the way to the passed desserts -- the food was 5 star.

The service was nothing less than 5 star too. Our personal server that night, Hector, was over the top and one step ahead of Brian and I all night. We decided to have a quiet/special moment in our bridal suite as soon as we arrived to the Ivy Room, before we entered cocktail hour and that was one of our favorite parts.
    The bridal suite was set just for us and Hector was there to help start the evening off on the right foot. As busy as Ken was that night, making sure everything was perfect, he was one of the first peopl to great us and make sure we had a special private moment to view the dining room/ballroom.

My husband and I are still blown away by all the aspects of the catering service from Ken -- from chairs to napkins to the bar tenders...he helped pull together our vision and our dream wedding.

Sent on 09/16/2013

Megan · Married on 05/25/2013

Blue Plate was truly the very best vendor that we could have ever hoped to work with! They were nothing short of perfection! Missy Wright was INCREDIBLE beginning to end. From the very first day that we met with Missy to the very last song on our wedding night, she was the consummate professional! Our guests continue to rave about the amazing food and service at our wedding. We have been told by countless guests that it was the best food and service that they had ever experienced at any event. We could not have asked for a better experience. If you are looking to have your dreams brought to reality, while also "Wow-ing" your guests, there is no better choice than Blue Plate!

Sent on 01/15/2014

Lenore · Married on 06/22/2012

We would like to thank you for the wonderful reception that you gave us. Everything was perfect from the table settings and the food, down to the kind attention that your whole staff gave to us.

Sent on 07/06/2012
  • Rachel W.

Rachel · Married on 05/26/2012

Blue Plate was AMAZING!!! I would recommend this company to anyone getting married! The food at our tasting blew us away and they accommodated all special requests that we had. They also set up our table numbers, place cards, and champagne flutes for us and even arranged our cupcakes on the tier we had rented. They were very professional and the food was delicious! The salad we had was so good I wish they had a restaurant that served it! My husband and I also had our own personal server who kept checking in with us to see if we needed anything throughout the night. She was very kind and professional. The team at Blue Plate exceeded all of our expectations and helped our reception go off without a hitch. Couldn't have asked for anything more in a caterer.

Sent on 07/14/2012