Blue Plate Catering Reviews

• WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2010 Winner
  • WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2009 Winner

• Chelsea
    Chelsea P. Married on 08/14/2021

The best food and the best vendor!

We hired Blue Plate as they are one of the exclusive vendors for the Chicago History Museum. They were incredible throughout everything, especially as we had to plan, and replan many times due to COVID. They accommodated us in every way and Elinor was responsive, organized, and so kind! The food was incredible and all of our guests were well fed. Our wedding party admitted that they were standing by the doors where cocktail hour bites were coming out in order to get first dibs! Even beyond the food the service was fantastic, and they helped coordinate absolutely everything! Our wedding went so smoothly because of them and we cannot thank them enough!
  • Michelle
    Michelle Married on 01/11/2020

Would give them 10 stars if possible!

Having been introduced to Blue Plate through work functions, I knew if there was any way we could afford to use them for our wedding, that’s who I wanted to work with. And as a pleasant surprise, they weren’t even our highest quote! And I can’t even say enough how wonderful it was to work with Nicole C. at Blue Plate, from the initial phone conversation to the big day. She immediately got the vision we had. It was so wonderful being able to have the flexibility to create a menu from the ground up to fulfill our vision of a French themed evening. From having them specifically source breakfast radishes for crudite, to recreating a salad I was set on having, and fulfilling our vision for centerpieces lush with demi baguettes and croissants, no other caterer could have done it better. And the food, as expected, was delicious and beautiful! Our venue told us that no one else is better than Blue Plate when it comes to service. I had so many guests tell me they were SO impressed with the staff’s attention to detail and efficiency of service. And I find it so endearing that every staff member I came into contact with that evening congratulated me on my marriage. They are simply the BEST!
    Lauren B. Married on 08/10/2019

Amazing Wedding Caterer!

Rachel and Blue Plate,

Thank you so much for bringing our visions to life and for creating such a perfect wedding reception for our guests to enjoy. We have received so many compliments about how amazing our food and fun drinks were and that it was the prettiest reception our guests had ever seen! Thank you for working with us and helping us create personalized touches, an amazing wedding weekend, and truly unforgettable memories with all of our family and friends. You and your team went above and beyond - we cannot thank you enough! It was a weekend we will never forget, thanks to you and Blue Plate!

We hope to see you at another event and/or wedding soon! (And 1 year tasting if that ends up working out! :))

With Love,
    Lauren & Garret
    Christine D. Married on 07/27/2019

Best Caterer in Chicagoland!

We were very impressed with Blue Plate Catering at every step of planning for my daughter's wedding in July. From the fabulous tasting at their offices, to the quality & service the night of the reception, Blue Plate exceeded our expectations. The food was fresh, innovative & delicious! Our guests are still talking about it.
  • Reo
    Reo L. Married on 07/09/2019

Our Perfect Wedding Caterer

From day one our experience with Blue Plate was just absolutely phenomenal! Rachel and Laura went above and beyond to help us create the perfect day at A New Leaf. Between helping us find the perfect food items (which our guests still rave about) to just helping out with the little things. Your team helped make our weekend unforgettable.

An additional shout out to the service, kitchen, and our personal server - Abby! The entire team just made everything amazing and we can't thank you guys enough.

Kathi C. Married on 06/18/2019

Blue Plate is amazing!

We used Blue Plate for our sons's recent Covid rescheduled, tented, backyard wedding reception. They pulled it off with 3 weeks notice and everything was perfect! The tasting was great and the execution of our choices on the night of was every bit as good, even though it was 90 degrees and humid that night! I would highly recommend Trish Vogel and her team at Blue Plate.

Blue Plate Catering's reply:

Kathi, It was such a pleasure working with you and your family for your son's wedding reception. Thank you for the positive review, we hope to work together again in the future!
    Sarah M. Married on 11/03/2018

Best service ever!!

People are still telling us that our food was so memorable from our wedding and the service that went a long with it was impeccable! We are so lucky to have had Blue Plate as our caterer! We worked with Stephanie and she was wonderful!

Blue Plate Catering's reply:

Thanks for the great review, Sarah! We're so happy to hear that you and your guests enjoyed the food and service. We'll pass along the kind words to Stephanie!
  • Heather
    Heather Married on 09/22/2018

Amazing catering company!

Blue Plate's food is SO good! We got so many compliments on the food and I know they say bride and groom never eat the night of, however, my husband and I cleaned our plates! So good! We worked with Helen from Blue Plate and she was extremely professional and patient throughout the entire process and made tasting and menu creation so easy! Blue Plate also did our cake and it was so yummy! Couldn't have asked for a better experience and we highly recommend booking them!
    Brittany Married on 06/09/2018
    Blue Plate is exceptional! They helped us every step of the way from creating our perfect menu, to arranging the seating chart. I highly recommend, their food is phenomenal and their service is impeccable!
    D.b. Married on 11/24/2017
    Blue Plate catered our daughter’s wedding.
    We needed “turnkey” service and they more than met the standard. From our first telephone contact with Matt Morgan to our meeting with our “day of” coordinator Brent Geiger to the chefs and waitstaff for the wedding, everything went smoothly. Matt and Brent’s menu suggestions were spot-on; the food was delicious and presented beautifully. The staff set-up and clearing seemed effortless and our house was left spotless. We need to add one additional positive to this recommendation. We contacted 3 other caterers and gave all caterers the same information and the same request. Although all said “of course, we can”, Matt’s Blue Plate proposal was the only one to incorporate the request in the proposal. Blue Plate listens! We highly recommend Blue Plate, Matt and Brent.
    Kristina Married on 10/14/2017
    We selected our venue, A New Leaf in Chicago, and Rachel from Blue Plate happened to be there meeting with a client that same day. She was so bubbly and pleasant and gave us her card right away and the rest is history. We felt so taken care of and she is a true professional and industry expert. During our tasting the food and service blew us away and we trusted her so much that we selected many of our other vendors from her recommendations.

During the planning process we felt like Rachel always had a knowledgeable answer for literally every little detail. The wedding day did not disappoint either - we had a team making sure we were staged for the ceremony, prompted us for walking down the aisle and greeted our guests with cocktails immediately after walking out of the ceremony space. Our personal server was such a nice touch - we were able to enjoy many apps, full plated meals and always had a drink in hand...he even found us on the dance floor later in the night :)

The food we had was buffet style and open seating, but easily the best wedding food I have ever had. Our guests raved about the Fall menu and also about the wait staff and bartenders.

Overall the wedding planning process can feel intimidating and we can easily say that working with Blue Plate was a huge factor in making the process stress free and fun - and the quality exceeded our expectations. Our actual wedding day was the rainiest day in Chicago history which I know caused logistical challenges, but our team never missed a beat and we were so thankful.

You are all the best! If you are planning a wedding, I highly recommend reaching out to Blue Plate and scheduling a tasting.

- Kristina & Andrew
    B Married on 10/07/2017
    Amazing food, excellent service, wonderful to work with!
    Susan Married on 09/29/2017
    Many people at my table turned to me and said, clearly surprised, "This food is really good!" The compliments kept coming all evening. Here's a testimonial from our nephew, who brought himself and family from Amsterdam to attend:

"Just wanted to say that we had a great time and thought that it was a spectacular wedding. Thank you for having us....the food was best I’ve ever had at a wedding (and the chicken fingers for kids was very much appreciated)."

Boom! Of all the components of a wedding reception, having tasty food was the most important to me personally. Blue Plate was so fantastic in every way, top to bottom, plus the food was delicious and hot, and everyone was so nice.
    Thank you! Susan, Mother of Bride
  • Z
    Zach Married on 07/03/2017
    Wow Wow Wow!! My wife and I (still getting used to saying that) were completely floored at not only the impeccable food you served to our guests but the amazing service we received from the entire Blue Plate staff. Our contact, Rachel went above and beyond on several different occasions leading up to and at the wedding to guarantee we had the picture-perfect day from start to finish. She took on so many tasks and responsibilities the day of our wedding that went well beyond her "contracted responsibility" and we couldn't have been happier or more thankful. Our wedding would not have been the same without her and her amazing team there! Thank you Thank You Thank You 1,000 times over!
    Khadijah Married on 10/01/2016
    My husband and. I had a terrific experience. We had an intimate wedding at the Garfield Park Conservatory. The small room was transformed into an amazing oasis. The service was magnificent. Our guests enjoyed the food and were pampered by the staff. The event flowed seemlessly. We will use them for our anniversary dinner
    Shawn Married on 09/23/2016
    We had an absolutely wonderful experience working with Elinor Brown for our September 2016 wedding at the Rookery in downtown Chicago. First off, the food was amazing and we received tons of compliments from our guests on how the food at our wedding was the best 'wedding food' they have ever had. From the appetizers, to the dinner stations and the bar set-ups, it was all top notch quality and service was great. Regarding planning, from the get-go Elinor was responsive, helpful, easy to work with, honest and always was willing to put in extra effort in order to help guide us through the planning process. Elinor worked as both our caterer and venue liaison, and though we were a bit worried about the logistics in the beginning of the planning process, she made sure everything went smoothly, and our wedding day turned out better than we could have ever imagined. Thank you so much Elinor, and the entire staff at Blue Plate, for giving us the wedding of our dreams!
  • User2816257 2+ years ago
    Blue Plate was amazing. From the initial conversation to the tasting to the day of. Nikki, Kate, and Samantha provided incredible service. They were organized and detail oriented. On our wedding day, we were so comfortable and did not have to worry about anything related to catering. The food was amazing as well.
    Caitlin Married on 10/24/2015
    They say that guests will forever remember the food at your wedding, so it was imperative to me that we have great food at our October wedding. Blue Plate was a clear choice for us, not only was the tasting amazing, but they worked with my husband & me, my parents, and our wedding planner to customize things just the way we wanted. Additionally, the team worked with one of my friends who is a baker to help me incorporate her into our desserts and made them fun Halloween themed just for me. This was something Blue Plate didn't have to adhere to, but because they did, I'm forever grateful!

The quality of their ingredients is perfection - their chicken and especially the short rib was just AMAZING! The only disappointing part of it all was that my husband and I hardly got to eat - pretty typical, I guess, but being a foodie, I'm pretty bummed about it! If only we could do it all over again!

Ten months later, our guests are still telling us how amazing our food was! Thank you Rachel & Blue Plate!
    Laura Married on 10/10/2015
    Blue Plate was an excellent choice and Missy was fantastic! She was very responsive to our requests and questions and I feel she really cared about making our day special and memorable!
  • User2461275 2+ years ago
    When we had to find an alternate caterer a MONTH before our wedding I freaked. However, Ken and Andrea at Blue Plate made everything better from the moment we walked in for our consultation. The service was outstanding and communication. FOOD was amazing. The night of our wedding everything was flawless and plates cleaned of food from our guests. I highly recommend. They were very accommodating to allergies too.
    Kaylan Married on 07/18/2015
    Blue Plate is awesome! We worked with Katie G for our July 2015 wedding. From the start she was great! Our tasting was fabulous and she was just super fun to be around - she really made it a great experience which was part of why we chose them! The food at the tasting was delicious! I stuffed my face! It was all so good!

We got married at a location that didn't have a kitchen so I was a little worried about how all the food would transfer and taste the day of. It was just as good as I remembered!! We had so many compliments on it and that it was hot!! Not cold like most weddings!

Working with Katie and Blue Plate was great! They were super easy and accommodating. We really appreciate it and would recommend them to anyone!
  • User2289352 2+ years ago
    If you're looking for a caterer I HIGHLY recommend Blue Plate - especially if you can work with Rachel! Rachel was an absolute delight to work with. From our initial meeting/tasting to her saying goodbye the evening of the wedding - she made the process so easy - and I am picky! Not only was the food fabulous, but we were able to provide our own liquor - which was a huge plus. Our ceremony was in the same space as our reception so the Blue Plate staff had to do a full flip (with barely anything preset since it was such a small space) in under an hour - and they delivered! Truly, every aspect of Blue Plate's service was top notch. I can't tell you how many emails I wrote Rachel - all of the special touches I wanted incorporated, she made happen. Don't hesitate - book a tasting with Blue Plate and you'll be convinced - and be sure to ask for Rachel!!
    Erin Married on 10/25/2014
    We had the absolute pleasure of working with Missy Wright at Blue Plate. Missy has such a wonderful energy, from the very beginning she made us feel confident we had chosen the right caterer. The tasting, though! HOW FUN! We brought some of our wedding party and all were wowed! Food was delicious, presentation was impeccable, and they really listened to us and helped us create a menu in our budget that catered to our more casual tastes. The one thing that really made a difference was the service we received on the day of our wedding. Missy made sure that there were servers assigned just to us! At every turn they made sure we had a cocktail (which we inevitably set down every time we hugged someone and then it disappeared!), they created our very own hors d'oeuvres tasting plate to nosh on before being announced at the reception, then they went to every food station and created us a tasting plate from each so that we could spend our time greeting our guests not having to worry about forgetting to eat. It was truly spectacular - the personal servers were a magical touch! Missy and her team helped make our day feel completely flawless and we can't thank them enough!
    Kerry Married on 10/04/2014
    We used Blue Plate Catering for our wedding in October and absolutely LOVED them! We worked with Elinor and she was beyond fantastic. From day one she was responsive, accommodating and we felt like she was genuinely interested in our wants and needs as a client. We were very nervous about choosing our catering vendor as we would consider ourselves "foodies" and wanted to make sure the food was on-par with the quality of food that we typically enjoy. When we had our tasting we really felt like they catered the menu to our likes, dislikes and preferences as a couple and customized a fantastic menu for us that we thoroughly enjoyed. We had a few other tastings with other companies and Blue Plate was by far the best. It didn't feel or taste like wedding food at all. On the day of our wedding, everyone RAVED about the food and said it was the best wedding food they'd ever had. Again, Elinor was amazing to work with and went above and beyond her duties. We didn't have a wedding planner and in many ways she acted like one for us and helped with so many detail and last minute requests. Everything came out exactly as we had imagined and Blue Plate and Elinor were integral in making that happen! They really were a huge help in making our dreams come true on our wedding day!
    Sarah Married on 09/12/2014
    I worked with Missy at Blue Plate and she was amazing! Everyone was great and I had no worries that my wedding would be perfect in their hands! I absolutely loved them and would recommend them to anyone.