37 Reviews for Blue Heron Restaurant & Catering

Organic (1)
Premium Liquor (1)
Specialty Beer (1)
37 Blue Heron Restaurant & Catering Reviews

As a restaurant owner and caterer for eight years, I was not about to entrust my wedding with "just any" caterer. Blue Heron was my first and only choice for my off-premise celebration at the Montague Retreat Center -- no other caterer in the area comes close to matching their delectable food, beautiful presentation, quality of service and attention to detail. We had a fun and fantastical wedding with an upscale picnic theme, and Blue Heron NAILED it -- guests could not stop raving about the food! Our bar was also important to us -- we had "his," "her's" and "our's" signature drinks and A LOT of guests who know their mixed drinks as well as their wine, and Blue Heron mixed and poured flawlessly. Kendra and Shannon understood how important "silly" details like napkin folds were to me, and did an incredible job executing the combined tuxedo/bow tie and bridal gown/sash folds I requested. There were never long lines at either the buffet or bar thanks to Blue Heron's planning, and every server and bartender understood the difference between mere good service and the true hospitality I sought. I cannot recommend Blue Heron highly enough, whether you hold your event on or off-premises.

Profile Picture Dawn, 7/8/17, 9 Reviews
Category: Catering

We had our wedding at the Blue Heron on June 24th, 2017. The entire experience, from ceremony to cake cutting, was amazing, not only from our perspective but from all of our guests perspectives as well. The décor, food, and drinks were indelible and exceeded our expectations. However, what really differentiated the Blue Heron for us was the staff. Shannon and her team (Dana, Dalila, Gabe, Bella & Ben was the bartender. Catering Chef Dave and Bobby(catering cook)) worked tirelessly all day until fairly late in the evening in order to turn our vision into reality. The staff was professional, attentive, efficient, and genuinely warm to us and every single one of our guests. Shannon even made sure that there was a staff member who could communicate in Spanish with the bride’s family.

As far as the planning, we worked primarily with Shannon on the itinerary, floor layout, menu, and decorations. Shannon also brought Chef Dave in on several occasions to help us optimize the menu. Shannon did a superb job coordinating everything and working with us. Looking back on the experience now, what really impresses us was that Shannon listened and understood what we wanted for our wedding and then was able to use her experience to guide us in an unobtrusive manner. There was an instance where external influences caused us to deviate from our vision and Shannon was there to make sure we stuck to what we wanted. The end result was an experience that embodied our vision to the fullest extent.

The food was spectacular! Reason #1 to have a wedding at the Blue Heron and (like always) it didn’t disappoint! Everything from the bacon wrapped dates, salmon crostini and strawberry caprese to the main dishes was beyond what we had anticipated. Everyone’s dietary needs where met. We highly recommend the Blue Heron for your wedding.

Thanks for making our wedding night amazing, Blue Heron!

Profile Picture Zaida, 6/24/17, 5 Reviews
Category: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Wedding Planning
Services Used: Bartender(s), Champagne Toast, Open Bar, Premium Liquor, Specialty Wine, Lactose Free, Vegan, Vegetarian, Cake Cutting, Cocktail Reception, Hors d'oeuvres, Plated, Server(s), Tastings, Chairs, Tables, Clean Up, Set Up

Upon our first meeting with Kendra, Shannon, and the team at Blue Heron we were totally sold. The space is cute, spacious, and fit our vision for a romantic New England winter wedding so perfectly. We rented the entire restaurant, and had our ceremony and reception upstairs in the hall. The cocktail hour downstairs was incredibly cozy. What put it over the top was the FOOD. The food is so good. We had about 100 guests and every one had an unbelievable time, the staff was so fun, and the wedding went off without a hitch. We knew we were in good hands with Kendra and Shannon and they were helpful and responsive the entire year we spent planning the wedding. Even when I was stressed or confused about something, they were there to help and guide us through it. - Kate and Mike 1/14/2017

Profile Picture Kate, 1/14/17, 4 Reviews
Category: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Wedding Cake, Wedding Planning
Services Used: Clean Up, Set Up, American, Chairs, Tables, Cake Cutting, Cocktail Reception, Dessert, Hors d'oeuvres, Plated, Tastings, Vegan, Vegetarian, Bartender(s), Champagne Toast, Open Bar, Signature Drink

While the Blue Heron is a pricier option in Western Mass, it was worth every penny! We basically saved the cost of a wedding planner/day-of-coordinator because Kendra was so helpful! She was over accommodating as we planned from out-of-state. She set up a wonderful menu tasting, as well as a cocktail tasting when we had to make some last minute changes! The chef was very flexible to meet the variety of dietary restrictions in my family from vegan and gluten free, to nut and soy free-- and everything was still delicious! We had the option to bring in our own cake (we actually did pies from Atkins farms), provide our own liquor, as well as pizza for the kids, which dropped the price significantly...but not the service! As the bride, I had nothing to worry about the day-of; Kendra took care of everything from setting up chairs for the ceremony, to arranging centerpieces on the tables for dinner, even the tables for the favors! The service was swift and friendly all night and the bartender kept everyone happy. I highly suggest to Blue Heron to anyone, any event!

Profile Picture User7511236, 1+ year ago, 4 Reviews
Category: Catering
Services Used: Chairs, Tables, Local, Clean Up, Set Up, Cake Cutting, Cocktail Reception, Hors d'oeuvres, Plated, Server(s), Tastings, Bartender(s), Champagne Toast, Open Bar, Signature Drink, Gluten Free, Lactose Free, Nut Free, Vegan, Vegetarian

We just want to start by saying that Blue Heron has already built a reputation for itself by providing world class food, and it did not disappoint when catering our wedding. Kendra, who was our liaison with the restaurant was incredibly helpful. She went out of her way on numerous occasions to be sure that we were getting everything that we wanted. Together with our wedding coordinator, Kendra ran a seamless night that was nothing short of spectacular. We couldn’t count if we wanted to, how many people came up to us and commented positively on how incredible the food was. The most fun part of the entire process had to be the tasting at Blue Heron, where we were treated like royalty and were able to fill our bellies with unbelievable food. All said and done, Blue Heron is top notch. From their attention to detail, to their comforting support through the process, to the obviously delicious food. We would recommend anyone getting married not to hesitate choosing Blue Heron, we are very glad that we did.

Profile Picture Lizzy, 9/10/16, 2 Reviews
Category: Catering

Of all the vendors we worked with for our wedding, none left us feeling as confident and comfortable as Kendra and her team at Blue Heron. From our first conversation after we got engaged until the lights came on at midnight on our wedding, she and her staff took the best care of us. They service, food and professionalism were all exceptional and we couldn't be happier we used them as our caterer. Our guests raved about the food and we were thrilled that they managed to deliver the high quality, elegant meal we wanted without any of the pretentious that often goes along with it. If we could do it all over again and again (and we would!), we would choose Blue Heron every time. A big thank you to Kendra and everyone who worked so hard to create such a special night for us!

Profile Picture User7100628, 1+ year ago, 8 Reviews
Category: Catering

Blue Heron did an incredible job at our wedding!! Kendra and her team are professional, flexible and fun to work with throughout the entire process. We really wanted to serve a family style meal, and Kendra worked with us to make it happen. We went with plated entrees and amazing list of family style sides - mashed potatoes, heirloom tomato salad, pan-seared corn, etc. All the ingredients were local whenever possible, and everything was so incredibly delicious. The food was definitely one of the highlights at our wedding, and we made time to sit and eat a little of everything.

It started to rain during our ceremony, and Kendra's team had to move the cocktail hour inside from the patio in a matter of minutes. By the time our guests arrived everything was perfect and apps were being passed. The team worked so well together, and were laughing and going above and beyond to serve our guests anything they needed.

There are a lot of pieces that go into planning a wedding, and Blue Heron made the food easy and so delicious. I hope I have the chance to work with Blue Heron Catering again in the future, and I can't wait to eat at the restaurant the next time I'm in town!

Profile Picture Meg, 9/12/15, 2 Reviews
Category: Catering
Services Used: Clean Up, Set Up, Cocktail Reception, Dessert, Family Style, Hors d'oeuvres, Plated, Server(s), Tastings, American, Local, Gluten Free, Lactose Free, No Pork, Vegetarian

We wanted a casual and laid-back reception with amazing food and that's exactly what we got with Blue Heron. Kendra was easy to work with, knowledgeable, and very helpful. The staff was incredible - professional and fun. The whole process was smooth and painless. It was a great experience and everything turned out perfectly. We would highly recommend Blue Heron.

Profile Picture Tam, 8/15/15, 1 Review
Category: Catering
Services Used: Clean Up, Set Up, Buffet, Cocktail Reception, Dessert, Hors d'oeuvres, Server(s), Stations, Tastings, Local, Bartender(s), Chairs, Tables

Kendra and the staff at The Blue Heron made our wedding reception PERFECT! The food was amazing and always is, the restaurant is beautiful and every detail was taken care of on our special day!

Profile Picture Mandy Lyn, 6/27/15, 2 Reviews
Category: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue

If you're going to have a wedding in Western Massachusetts, you cannot beat Blue Heron Restaurant for catering. The food is sourced locally whenever possible and the quality is very high. My husband and I are very happy that we went with their services and would highly recommend them to others!

Profile Picture Tara, 6/20/15, 1 Review
Category: Catering
Services Used: Buffet, Cocktail Reception, Dessert, Hors d'oeuvres, Server(s), Tastings, Chairs, Tables, Bartender(s), Champagne Toast, Clean Up, Set Up, Local

The Blue Heron provides exceptional service, delicious food, and a professional approach to their catering services. While planning our wedding, I didn't worry about whether or not they would deliver an amazing spread. I had been to their restaurant many times and knew their level of service is second to none. Our wedding guests were extremely happy with the food and, even six months later, they're still talking about it! Kendra and her team are true pros and I couldn't have asked for a better experience. I highly recommend them for your wedding!

Profile Picture User6052393, 2+ years ago, 1 Review
Category: Catering
Services Used: American, Gluten Free, Lactose Free, Vegan, Vegetarian, Clean Up, Set Up, Buffet, Hors d'oeuvres, Server(s)

The Blue Heron is an amazing place to have a small/medium reception. The entire staff was amazing, the food is exceptional (and farm-to-table!), and the location is beautiful. It also could be as low-maintenance as you like, if you are looking for a simple, but elegant and delicious catering option.

Profile Picture Brooke, 2/1/15, 2 Reviews
Category: Catering
Services Used: Buffet, Cocktail Reception, Dessert, Hors d'oeuvres, Server(s), Chairs, Tables, Bartender(s), Champagne Toast, Open Bar, Specialty Beer, Specialty Wine, Clean Up, Set Up, American, Local, Gluten Free, Nut Free, Organic, Vegetarian

I cannot recommend Blue Heron Restaurant & Catering highly enough. Two months after the wedding we STILL have people raving that the food served at our reception was the absolute best food they've ever had at a wedding. The staff was so thorough, helping to coordinate all the rental details, decorating, and management of the reception -- especially Kendra Nielsen. The servers were extremely attentive and courteous. The food was unbelievable! My husband and I plan to return to the restaurant for our one year anniversary dinner. I cannot wait to revisit that grilled salad and squash souffle!

Profile Picture Cari, 9/21/14, 4 Reviews
Category: Catering

Kendra and her team at the Blue Heron were AMAZING. Kendra made all of the planning and lead up to the big day really easy and straightforward. But more importantly was the day of - the food was phenomenal. We are still getting compliments from people about the food. Everything was perfect.
In terms of service and support on the day of, Kendra and her staff were also amazing. We did not assist in the set-up but when we arrived everything was exactly how we would have wanted it. And the staff we interacted with throughout the night were great - they definitely went above and beyond.
Our family and friends are still talking about how amazing our wedding was, and we owe all the credit for that to the Blue Heron!

Profile Picture Tanya, 9/20/14, 2 Reviews
Category: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue

Kendra was our primary contact for the wedding. We had a very good experience working with her and the team at Blue Heron. The only thing we regret is not eating more ourselves on the day! Everyone enjoyed the food very much.

Profile Picture User4708968, 2+ years ago, 2 Reviews
Category: Catering

The entire experience of having our wedding reception at the Blue Heron was absolutely fabulous! From our first meeting with Kendra, where she asked questions to determine who we were and what we were interested in, until the clean up at the end of the reception, every interaction was pleasant, helpful, and friendly! I loved how flexible the team was and how they could create an event that was uniquely us--the menu we had was fabulous and everyone raved about the food! The ambiance and beauty of the reception room was elegant and we only did minimal flower arrangements as the room was already so gorgeous. We had a separate room for the kids/breastfeeding moms and Kendra and her crew set it up with books and toys for them. It was a great way to have the kids feel welcome and included, yet not distract from important moments. Kendra had fabulous suggestions, but she was always clear that it was our day and our decision. She was available to meet us before the day of the wedding to set up the AV equipment etc. On the wedding day, I knew I had nothing to worry about! I just had to get myself and my guests to the Blue Heron and everything would run smoothly! It certainly did! You won't regret hosting an event at the Blue Heron or having them cater for your off site event!

Profile Picture Alyson, 7/12/14, 2 Reviews
4.2

Our rehearsal dinner prior to my daughter's wedding was exceptional. Though it took some doing to finish up all of the details, Kendra was very helpful and thoughtful. I addition, the food was magnificent, as always and the service was fabulous. I couldn't have asked for more. It was expensive, but really, really good.

Profile Picture Susan, 6/7/14, 1 Review
Category: Band, Catering

The Blue Heron catered our small family wedding (19 people). I was afraid they would be upset by the small size of our kitchen. But they were so positive in improvising wonderful solutions to any problems we foresaw. They were very professional and friendly. I felt totally at ease with them working around us. The food was presented beautifully and was so delicious! They used many of our platters and glasses and even washed them - staying late to make sure everything was taken care of to our total satisfaction. I couldn't imagine a better experience! It made the day fun, delicious and carefree! I unreservedly recommend them!

Profile Picture User4055729, 2+ years ago, 1 Review
Category: Catering

Blue Heron did a phenomenal job catering our wedding. Kendra was so easy to work with and very responsive (which was a HUGE help as we were planning the wedding from California). The day of they went above and beyond - bringing me apps while my bridesmaids bustled my dress, constantly filling my drink, and making a to-go platter of desserts for us to take back to the hotel because my husband was afraid I'd be too busy to appreciate them. They even warmed up the chocolate chip cookies because that is the only way I like them. The food, service, and team are amazing.

Profile Picture StephAndDex, 9/1/13, 8 Reviews
Category: Catering

The Blue Heron team completely exceeded our expectations for a wedding caterer. From day one, Kendra and her team were wonderful to work with, and helped us design a menu that was comprehensive from food, to signature drinks, to overall design of the day. In addition to the amazing food choices, BH served more like a full service wedding planner; helping us with rentals, napkins, and design elements for our wedding. The service the day-of was impeccable and we had many guests raving about the food. Throughout the entire process, Kendra kept everything under control -- true to her word, if anything went wrong that day, I (and my guests) had no idea. :)

I should also note, we were so in love with BH that we decided to hold our rehearsal brunch at the restaurant the day before. The event was awesome, we had a ton of compliments on the brunch and were really happy with our decision to do it there.

If you are hesitating, don't! Blue Heron was one of the best choices we made for our wedding, and they were worth every penny.

Profile Picture Kristen, 8/17/13, 2 Reviews
Category: Catering

Delicious, attentive, artsy, fabulous! My wedding was upstairs in the Great Room at the Blue Heron. Guests kept commenting about how accommodating and attentive the servers were. They chased people out the door with cake when they had to leave early! No problem when guests wanted to change their meal selection. They kept great tabs on who had allergies and who was vegan. The filet mignon "melted in your mouth," according to one of my guests. All the food was fresh and delicious. When I did not eat my entire meal, the waiter asked me if everything was OK and then wrapped it up for me for a midnight snack. We felt like we were famous!
During the entire planning process, Kendra was so helpful, honest, and very accommodating of our budget and other needs. She was available by email, phone, in person, and talked with my family members who were helping me plan the wedding. In the words of the groom, "They treated us like royalty."

Profile Picture User2564262, 2+ years ago, 3 Reviews
Category: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue

Holy smokes, this was great!

First of all, the food was amazing! We got multiple comments from our guests that this was the best food they had ever had at a wedding and I would have to agree. We got to work with them to create our own custom menu which was really cool and allowed us to have a super wide variety of foods.

Blue Heron was also in charge of all the setup the day of the event. It was a bit chilly and the rain was off and on, so we ended up switching our ceremony to be inside at the last minute. They were able to get everything set up with no problem. Our entire ceremony and reception was beautiful. The staff working our event was lovely and helpful.

In the end, I'm SO glad we went with Blue Heron. It was a perfect decision!

Profile Picture User2450363, 2+ years ago, 3 Reviews
4.1

Our wedding reception was a small dinner for 30 guests at The Blue Heron. The restaurant itself is spectacular and Kendra was a huge help when we were customizing the dinner menu. We were able to have foods that were special to our family and some of our favorites were represented.

Profile Picture Kelly, 5/4/13, 5 Reviews
Category: Catering

Blue Heron catered my wedding dinner in my home. It was an elegant and intimate evening, and their assistance from menu planning to clean up was thoughtul and highly satisfactory. Most important to me was, of course, the amazing food. A caterer who is invested in supporing the local farming community - yet produces an exceptional product by the most cosmopolitan of standards - was what I hoped for; Blue Heron did not disappoint. My menu included appetizers (scallops, lamb liollipops, and brie en croute) and arguably the best duck entree I have ever had. I would not hesitate to recommend their services, and look forward to our next dinner at the restaurant.

Profile Picture cynthia, 12/23/12, 5 Reviews
Category: Catering

We knew we wanted to have our wedding at Blue Heron--since they are our favorite restaurant in the area--and it totally exceeded our expectations. Kendra handled everything beautifully--I didn't want to have to worry about decorating, etc, and the rooms (upstairs and down) were perfect: warm, golden, glowing, intimate. We rented the whole space, which I recommend; there was room to relax away from the DJ, places for smokers to step outside, and we felt like royalty. And the food! From the first tastings to the final day, the food was above and beyond. Deborah listened to our myriad requests (no beets, no peanuts, a vegan bridesmaid/stepdaughter, a birthday cake for my dad) and made the feast so incredibly good that everyone felt taken care of. The bartenders and staff were on top of the whole night, and Scott made sure that I, as bride, got to eat--bringing me drinks and appetizers while I was being bustled, and leaving dessert at my place while I danced. It was exactly what I wanted, and a minimum of effort on my part--they handled the whole thing. My only complaint was that the party had to end....

Profile Picture Emily, 10/27/12, 4 Reviews