Black Hills Receptions and Rentals Reviews

14 | Rapid City, SD

14 Reviews for Black Hills Receptions and Rentals

• Taylor

Taylor Suzette Pistulka · Married on 08/23/2019

they made my day magical and helped me make that day come true!

They were amazing! Very detailed oriented and helped me create the day I’ve always wanted!

Sent on 09/17/2019

Janice Mob · Married on 07/05/2019

Torvi-Prochazka Wedding July 5th

We can some it up with our daughters words “It was the best day ever!” Thanks to Barbara and all the wonderful staff. Catered by Anything’s Possible. The food was fabulous also.

Sent on 07/06/2019

Kristen · Married on 09/09/2018

The ladies at Black Hills Receptions were AMAZING! I didn’t have to worry about anything the day off the wedding.

Sent on 10/04/2018

Jori · Married on 10/07/2017

We had the most spectacular wedding! From the day we booked this venue & all the way through to loading up our decorations the day after the wedding, Joanne & all the staff were exceptional! The planning process was very smooth(& we planned it while living in Florida!). If you want a full service venue with amazing Black Hills views this is your place!

Sent on 10/25/2017

Courtney · Married on 01/01/2017

We were married on January 1st at State Game Lodge surrounded by our closest family and friends! The staff was so helpful and made us feel like family!

Sent on 03/06/2017

Courtney · Married on 10/29/2016

We LOVED our wedding at BHRR. Joanne and her entire team were wonderful to work with. My guests said our reception looked like it was straight from Pinterest

Sent on 12/06/2016

Megan · Married on 08/30/2014

WOW! BHRR is amazing! They worked so well with us and our crazy ideas and short notices. Joann and Trish are a great team and are fun and professional. We were greeted with hugs and smiles, and left with hugs and smiles. With their knowledge and skills, these ladies help create a dream come true. From three wedding colors to work with, live butterflies and an indecisive bride, they did perfect. Our wedding was something people keep talking about. We hear from people who didn't attend our wedding our beautiful our wedding/reception was. Great job ladies and team, from the bottom of our hearts, we thank you so much. You are truly Fairy Godmothers and a blessing to both, Joe and I. Thank you so much to you and your miraculous team!

Sent on 09/08/2014

Black Hills Receptions and Rentals's reply:

Megan! How awesome it was to be a part of your special day with Joe! We are so excited to have been able to help and to watch as the two of you love birds enjoy such an amazing day! We wish you all the best! :-)

Danica · Married on 06/22/2013

Where do I start? My wedding day went so smoothly from my point of view. Having Trish and Joanne there to take care of the details took all of the stress out of it for us and our families. We were living out of state while planning our big day (and only had a four month engagement) so it was really worth the money to have a "one-stop-shop" for all of our wedding needs. I was able to call them with changes or ideas and had the peace of mind of talking to one person who knew about all of the details.

It did rain on our ceremony as I pushed for the outdoor location (which was gorgeous) but that was more my fault then theirs because they have a covered gazebo area which they would have moved the ceremony to (if I would have let them). I was being greedy with the weather though and I proved to be wrong... But when it started to rain, they started passing out umbrellas and blankets to our guests. Trish was running around and I'm pretty sure she was soaked by the end but she took care of us and our guests so well. The rain strangely made our ceremony even more unforgettable in a good way. We wouldn't have had it any other way. After we were "pronounced husband and wife" there was even a boom of thunder which I can only assume was orchestrated by the amazing team at Black Hills Receptions. (they're that good.)

They also did a great job with decorating and arranging our reception in their tent. When we met up to pick out our decorations with Trish, they were incredibly accommodating. We were able to pick out our unique set up, mixing and matching different things until we were happy with it. We asked for some things that they didn't have on hand but they made it happen.

Thank you guys so much!

Sent on 06/14/2015
  • User5203271 · 2+ years ago

We rented reception decor for my wedding from BHRR and loved working with them. The theme was a tea party and they provided beautiful garden gates as well as tea cups and saucers for all 150 + guests!! It turned out beautifully thanks to them

Sent on 10/14/2015
  • kassidy

kassidy · Married on 07/04/2016

They are excellent at what they do! Everything was taken care of for me throughout the entire day. The staff is friendly and inviting however they do charge you for just about everything! Which can add up quick but it comes with a staff.photographer and at the end of the wedding night they give you a disc with all your pics on it! Highly recommend

Sent on 07/18/2016

Mary · Married on 04/28/2017

They are fantastic at what they do. They specialize in weddings, and you can definitely tell. My fiance and I wanted to have an unusual reception, and they were completely on board. They were excited about trying something unique and helped us to walk through the details and figure out the kinks.

Sent on 09/27/2016

Megan · Married on 06/06/2014

The team that they have here is amazing, anything that we asked for they told us upfront how do-able it was. The decor and grounds were beautiful! They made sure the wedding party, the guests, vendors and everybody in between got to were they were needed! They made sure the mood was right and that was hard as it was non-stop raining all day!

Sent on 07/01/2014

Black Hills Receptions and Rentals's reply:

Thank you , Megan, for your kind words! It was our pleasure to serve you both and your families! What a great day, in spite of the rain, it all seemed to work out wonderfully! You were both so positive, it made our job that much easier!

Jennifer · Married on 10/11/2008

3.0

I was mostly pleased with Black Hills Receptions. I was a bit concerned about a month out from the wedding. Apparently the lady we had been speaking with when we first (Anna) started planning the wedding left and we suddenly had a new lady (Maria) who had to call and reconfirm things and apparently didn't have the most current notes on our choices. Maria did a superb job of figuring everything out and making things work.

We were a bit upset that the original prices quoted weren't fully explained and so it seemed that there were a number of hidden charges we didn't at first expect. (of course we didn't find out until a hefty sum had been places as a deposit - non-refundable) They charged for just about every item we could possibly thing of. Although, on the day of the wedding we noticed that a lot of the large ticket items that we chose not to go with were still there. I think they leave them up all the time because it would be too much of a hassle to move them - they just try to get you to pay for them before hand.

I have to admit though, they made the place absolutely lovely. It was gorgeous and I didn't have to worry about anything. They set everything up and then cleaned up afterward. They also coordinated everything. They were very friendly (for the most part) and helpful as well. I say they were friendly for the most part because the lady in charge (Joanne) apparently was quite snippy to my husband's aunt. (who helped my mother-in-law with the cake) Joanne did go apologize later telling her that she didn't realize that she was with the wedding party. It still offended my husband's aunt a bit.

So, as far as pros are concerned, they did everything for us and we didn't have to do anything to set up or break down anything. They also coordinated things very professionally with the DJ, photographer,caterer and other necessary services. Cons would include hidden costs, no covered walkway for inclement weather, (it rained and snowed the whole day of my wedding) some of the items looked like they weren't in the best condition (looked like maybe they weren't maintaining some of the items as well as they could) and there were wasps in the gazebo where I got ready - they were unaware of the problem until we informed them - they were prompt on supplying a shop vac in order to take care of the problem.

I would still recommend this company for anyone looking for a beautiful venue for a wedding and reception. I would just caution you to have frank conversations with the planner to be certain of the price tags for everything.

Sent on 12/09/2008

Black Hills Receptions and Rentals's reply:

We are so glad the day worked out well for you both over all! October weather in the Black Hills is often times temperamental and we are just so glad that things turned out so beautifully in spite of the weather!

Mike · Married on 07/01/2016

2.5

Great place!! Amazing views, the biggest issue to me is after you figure out you are going to spend 10k just to rent the place, they will add a non refundable "damage waiver" for wear and tear on the property. Like renting a car and paying for the rental fee and then being charged another fee for actually driving it. It was 14% of the total bill, kinda nuts. So if money means nothing to you, this is your spot without a doubt. If you are in any type of budget, I would look at other places first as this is the most expensive there is, and then you get to pay more to actually use it, and then she taxes the whole bill, so she taxes the damage waiver also. You can still get married here even if you don't have a blank check, but they will not like it if you do your own stuff. They are very nice people though, you can just tell if you don't wanna write a blank check, it frustrates them. We were ready to say yes to 7500 but decided when she added the 14% (use the property fee) we would Pay the fee by cutting elsewhere, so we did our centerpieces, silverware, napkins and table runners (weddinglinensdirect.com) on our own. So charging the fee to get an extra thousand bucks from us cost her 2500 that we chopped off. I would highly recommend this venue, just know you pay for everything piece by piece and then you pay to use them.

Sent on 07/15/2016