65 Reviews for Birchtree Catering

Mediterranean (1)
Southern (1)
Lactose Free (1)
64 Birchtree Catering Reviews

When I found Birchtree, I was so excited to have found a women-owned, sustainable business that focused on local, seasonal food, but I was worried that it was too good to be true. My fears were dispelled completely at our tasting, where we were just wowed. Rasa was so thoughtful and responsive in helping us put together our menu. I should note that our friends and family know us as big food people, and are themselves adventurous eaters with refined palates, so I felt a lot of pressure to have excellent food at our wedding. Looking back, I would absolutely choose Birchtree again - no question. The food was memorable and so delicious.

Separate from the food, however, I'm not sure that without Nicole from Birchtree we would have had a wedding. We were totally clueless about planning a wedding, and Nicole was just straight up our rock. She anticipated every detail and posed every question conceivable. It was so incredibly comforting, especially in the last, most stressful months/ weeks of preparation, to know that Nicole wouldn't let anything fall through the cracks. In fact, when I seemed relaxed to those around me leading up to the wedding, I told them that I simply wasn't worried; I knew things were going to be fine, beautiful, and better than I could have planned/envisioned because Nicole had it under control. When we chose Birchtree, we had no idea how impactful and instrumental the coordination they provide would be. I am wary of hyperbole in writing this review because I don't want to come across as disingenuous, but I cannot imagine a better alternative to Birchtree. Finding a caterer is overwhelming, and I feel so lucky that we found Birchtree. We're honestly a little sad that we won't get to work with them anymore now that our wedding is over!

Profile Picture sophie, 12/30/17, 1 Review
Category: Catering
Services Used: Cake Cutting, Cocktail Reception, Hors d'oeuvres, Outside Cake, Plated, Server(s), Tastings, Bartender(s), Outside Alcohol, Signature Drink, American, Tables, Clean Up, Delivery, Set Up, Gluten Free, Lactose Free, Vegan, Vegetarian

My husband and I are foodies - we’re big on creative dishes and top-notch service, and we spend most of our disposable income eating at some of the city’s best restaurants. So, our natural reaction when we searched for wedding caterers was to get quotes from the celebrity chefs (Garces, Starr, etc.) first. Then, after we had been sufficiently sticker-shocked and underwhelmed by the proposals we received, our wedding venue, Philadelphia Distilling, referred us to Birchtree.

From the first call we had with them, we were sold. They really "got us" and understood what we wanted. They were also very transparent about what we could expect and what the pricing was - no surprises, no games, just true professionals.

Over the next few months we custom designed our menu with Chef Rasa (this is how they do it). She was a master at listening to our crazy food requests and converting them into a menu that a group of 70 picky eaters and foodies could all enjoy.

On the day of our wedding, everything went down in unimaginable perfection. They didn't skip a beat. Our guests were Instagramming the appetizers, and when they finished eating them, nobody had to wait longer than a minute to dispose of any toothpicks and napkins they were holding. To put it simply, the food and service exceeded even our own high expectations. The food became a focal point of the wedding – which is what we wanted – and our guests are still commenting on it today.

Birchtree was a fantastic partner for us. I say partner because we really felt like they were there to help us figure it out and make things easier, which is what you really need when you're planning a wedding.

I can't recommend Birchtree enough. They are the kind of caterer that can flex to accommodate any vision you have (ours just happened to include pork belly jelly donuts, but that's just our style).

Profile Picture Kane, 11/11/17, 1 Review
Category: Catering

The food from Birchtree Catering was amazing! Our guests raved about it, and weeks later are still saying it was the best catered meal they had ever had - and we agree. Chef Rasa is outstanding, and the on-site staff are top-notch. Highly recommend them. We were blown away by the service and attention to detail, which was as delightful as the various dishes and desserts. Hard to find true locally-sourced farm to table catering, and this group excels.

Profile Picture C, 10/13/17, 2 Reviews
Category: Catering

I cannot say enough great things about Birchtree. They catered my wedding and I would use them again for any event I am having. Lets start from the beginning! Our tasting with Chef Rasa was amazing. She listened to what we wanted and was able to change some dishes based on our preferences. Then Nicole, the wedding manager, is absolutely amazing. Since we are not from Pennsylvania our main form of conversation was by phone or e-mail. She was so responsive and would spend the time with us on the phone until we felt comfortable. I’m going to be honest; I didn’t know all the ins and outs of a wedding. But Nicole was there to guide my husband and me. She made my husband feel and me comfortable.

Leading up to the wedding, we had some confusion with our venue (not Birchtree’s faults at all!). But Nicole was amazing and she took control and got things figured out. She seriously wins wedding planner of the year.

On the day of everything was absolutely perfect. Birchtree put out my centerpieces and decorations. They did a great job. The Birchtree staff was amazing. While we were doing our photographs, they came out with drinks and food while also serving our guests at a different location. The waiting staff was very professional and friendly. Now lets talk about the food… it is probably hands down the best food I have had! Everything was cooked on site. Which is something they always do! This is one of the first catering experiences where they cook on site. It really makes a difference. The food was fresh and warm. Birchtree was such an important part in making my day so special.

Profile Picture Jean, 7/3/17, 5 Reviews
Category: Catering
Services Used: Clean Up, Delivery, Set Up, American, Bartender(s), Signature Drink, Vegetarian, Buffet, Cake Cutting, Cocktail Reception, Hors d'oeuvres, Outside Cake, Server(s), Stations, Tastings
1.8

My wife and I planned our wedding with Birchtree over the course of the past year. We sent hundreds of emails back and forth, and obtained dozens of promises which went completely unfulfilled by Birchtree staff. Birchtree was unable to properly coordinate the event and maintain fidelity to our established timeline.To start, we worked with three different event planners over the course of our planning process. We were unimpressed by all of them, and perplexed as to their inattention to detail. We were not informed until after the fact that our first planner had departed and then Birchtree replaced our event planner with an inexperienced / unwilling planner who was not up to task. We ended up working with our third and final wedding planner, at which point all of our timeline and wedding plans had to be explained for a third time. Each and every detail of our wedding timeline and party info was passed onto our third planner. We were met with glowing affirmations that each and every detail would be attended to. We had a map drawn of where to place rented furniture, where to place the photo booth, where to hang decorations, where to place flower arrangements. Each and every detail was explained via email, met with affirmations, and subsequently disregarded by Birchtree staff on the day of our wedding.Dozens of emails were sent to finalize what alcohol would be served. My wife and I selected three wines, three beers, and a specialty cocktail for the wedding. Despite numerous affirmations that labels would be placed on these alcohol options, Birchtree did not label anything, and our guests were walking around our wedding having no idea what they were drinking, or what their options were and BT also ran out of drink ingredients for our specialty drink. Finally, the most egregious error made by Birchtree involved our 'cutting of the cake' ceremony, which did not happen! They forgot about it! Birchtree made too much money off of their sub par service.

Profile Picture Carolanne, 10/8/16, 1 Review
Category: Catering, Wedding Planning

We loved loved LOVED working with Birchtree. You know you have a great caterer when on the day of your wedding you know you don't have to worry about a single detail. They really were that kind of caterer.

FOOD:
The food was incredible. We are big foodies, and we didn't want the regular "chicken or steak" options. Chef Rasa is so talented and creative, we were able to pick out our perfect menu. And they were completely open to customizing things based on our tastes. Our guests raved about the food (we devoured our entrees) and we heard that the kids ate up all of their pizza (yes, they have great kid-friendly options as well). An added bonus - after we recessed from the ceremony, they have a sampling of all the passed appetizers for us so that we could get a bite to eat alone with each other. Just a small yet important detail.

EVENT COORDINATOR:
We started off with a coordinator who eventually left the company, and eventually transferred to Nicole. The transition was completely seamless. Nicole put me at complete ease during our final walkthrough, and gave me total confidence that she and Birchtree had everything under control. She is SO mindful of everything that you are going through, and she really does take every step to make things easier for you. I remember feeling so thankful that anytime I needed her (I can't find my bouquet! Why is my family not here yet for portraits?), Nicole always seemed to be right behind me already on her way to fix/fetch anything I needed. She is an absolute pro and I am indebted to her for ensuring our wedding ran smoothly.

WEDDING DAY SET-UP:
Bircthree did an amazing job setting up our ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception. I had specific instructions about where I wanted certain things, and everything was in its right place. I couldn't help but beam when I would enter a room that I had been imaging for months and it was exactly how I pictured it.

Thank you Birchtree!

Profile Picture Alice, 9/4/16, 4 Reviews
Category: Catering
Services Used: Buffet, Cocktail Reception, Hors d'oeuvres, Plated, Server(s), Tastings, Clean Up, Delivery, Set Up, Bartender(s), Signature Drink, Chairs, Tables

If your wedding is in the Philadelphia area, don't even bother looking at other caterers. Birchtree was so incredible!! The food was delicious and our guests kept saying to us it was the best food they'd ever had at a wedding. They handled the set-up for us and were super flexible throughout the entire planning process. When we remembered 2 weeks before that a few guests had dietary restrictions, Birchtree easily accommodated. On our wedding day, they made sure we got plenty of food, always had drinks in our hand, and kept track of the schedule so that we could just enjoy the party.

Birchtree is worth every penny, not only because of their delicious food, beautiful presentation, and attentive serving staff, but also because of the event coordination service they provide. A Birchtree coordinator (woo, Annie & Nicole!) will work with you throughout the wedding process to make sure you have all your ducks in a row. They'll also coordinate with all your vendors the week of the wedding and serve as the day-of contact so you don't have to worry about anything on your wedding day. Seriously, book them.

Profile Picture Julia, 6/11/16, 5 Reviews
Category: Catering
Services Used: Buffet, Cake Cutting, Dessert, Hors d'oeuvres, Outside Cake, Plated, Server(s), Stations, American, Bartender(s), Outside Alcohol, Signature Drink, Clean Up, Delivery, Set Up, Gluten Free, Vegetarian

Birchtree was wonderful to work with at every stage of the process. The tasting was fantastic and Rasa was super helpful in designing a menu that fit our foodie personalities, while still being a crowd-pleaser. Our coordinator was great - we did multiple walkthroughs at the venue to hammer out every detail, including many I hadn't even thought about it, that insured that on our wedding day both my husband and I had an awesome time and weren't worried at all about any logistics. Birchtree was particularly great when it came to handling questions from my mother-in-law who is very detail-oriented and worrisome. We are super happy with how everything came out and definitely feel like we got a good value. Also, it was a huge bonus to support a woman- and locally-owned business. Highly recommend using Birchtree!

Profile Picture Danielle, 5/14/16, 4 Reviews
Category: Catering
Services Used: Bartender(s), Signature Drink, Cocktail Reception, Family Style, Hors d'oeuvres, Outside Cake, Server(s), Tastings

Working with Birchtree Catering for our April 29th wedding at Power Plant Productions was amazing. They offered a cocktail style reception, which is exactly what I envisioned for our reception (more eat and mingle versus sit-down dinner and dancing) At first, I was nervous that our guests would leave from the event still hungry, but after our tasting, from which we departed absolutely stuffed, I realized there was nothing to worry about. The food was delicious and plentiful, and they worked with us to make our menu exactly what we wanted (our desserts especially). Finally, our day-of coordinator, Annie, was great. During both of our walk-throughs, she guided us and asked questions that made us think about aspects of our ceremony and reception we would never have considered (What will we use to cut the cake? How do we want to display the cake? What did we want to drink after our recessional?). She was extremely detail-oriented, which made everything the day of go off without a hitch. I'd use Birchtree again to cater an event in a heartbeat.

Profile Picture Erin, 4/29/16, 2 Reviews
Category: Catering, Wedding Planning
Services Used: Clean Up, Delivery, Set Up, Vegan, Vegetarian, Buffet, Cake Cutting, Cocktail Reception, Dessert, Hors d'oeuvres, Server(s), American, Italian, Mediterranean, Southern, Bartender(s)

Birchtree recently catered my wedding at The Powerplant and it was amazing! The planning process was made easy with help from chef Rasa and our coordinator, Annie. When you work with Birchtree, you aren't picking from some list of limited or formulaic package deals. I felt like the possibilities were endless!

We had so many options and choices with our food and everything was so customizable. Everything from our cocktail hour (a mix of passed appetizers + a cheese board) to our signature cocktails to our family style dinner was great. There was lots of food and it was quality as well as quantity. Birchtree sources from local farms and everything they use is in season. Sustainable & local aren't just buzzwords. It's nice to know that you are helping to support local farms and businesses and all produce used is in season for the best flavor. Birchtree also supplies a very helpful bar buying guide and made specific recommendations which came in VERY helpful, especially when it came to knowing which specific wines would go well with the food they were serving. They can also do special meals for those kind of annoying vegan/gluten-free/allergic-to-everything friends who can't just eat normal food.

Getting a wedding coordinator as part of the package deal was extremely helpful. Annie coordinated walk-throughs with the venue, was in touch with our vendors and kept us on-deadline.

Profile Picture User5371512, 2+ years ago, 2 Reviews
Category: Catering
Services Used: Gluten Free, Vegan, Vegetarian, Family Style, Server(s), Tastings, Clean Up, Set Up, Bartender(s), Signature Drink

Fantastic food, fantastic service, fantastic people. Birchtree is a class act and you can put your trust in them for a smooth, nuanced, and special evening. There were many times our Birchtree coordinator Annie said to us, "Don't worry, I can take care of that." and she always did with a delicate and elegant hand. The food, shaped to our requests, was amazing at our tasting and just as good at the event. We received many compliments from our guests on the meal and level of the service staff. The service was all on time and we, the couple, always had our own plates set aside for us. I can honestly say, I hope I will have a chance to experience this caterer again. The food is like a five star restaurant you look forward to going to all year. Thank you Birch Tree!

Profile Picture User6594542, 2+ years ago, 1 Review
Category: Catering
Services Used: Clean Up, Delivery, Set Up, Gluten Free, Cake Cutting, Cocktail Reception, Hors d'oeuvres, Plated, Server(s), American, Bartender(s), Signature Drink

Birchtree catered my wedding last weekend and it was a huge success. My guests loved the food and cocktails, and everything went really smoothly, especially considering the complicated space I rented for the wedding itself. They provided layout maps, helpful suggestions, lots of options for different needs; depending on weather and guest size, timing, etc. Since I had both the ceremony and reception onsite, they had to plan on setting up dinner tables within a short time frame after the cocktail hour and ceremony to accommodate for the reception, and it was done so seamlessly. Everything looked beautiful and people were getting up for seconds (I didn't have time to do this since the bride is usually running around!). They even accommodated my special needs family member which was very nice.
My contact leading up to the event was Annie, and she was so responsive and competent that I was very reassured. I didn't have a wedding planner and I was basically planning everything on my own, so I felt so lucky about having Birchtree to basically guide me so that I could envision the big day and how it would flow. Allegra was there for the tasting and also onsite for the day itself, so it was nice to have a familiar face so I could ask questions. I definitely recommend them to anyone!

View Vendor Response
Profile Picture Gwyneth, 4/2/16, 3 Reviews
Category: Catering, Event Rentals & Photobooths
Services Used: Vegetarian, Bartender(s), Signature Drink, Tables, Clean Up, Delivery, Set Up, Buffet, Cake Cutting, Hors d'oeuvres, Server(s), Tastings

Birchtree catered our wedding last weekend and they were wonderful! The food was great, everyone loved it. The staff who worked our event was very helpful and friendly. Birchtree did a great job helping us organize the event, making suggestions and helping us make decisions. Their followup was excellent, and they delivered on everything they promised. Our liaison, Annie, was great to work with, full of helpful suggestions. We highly recommend them!

Profile Picture Bob, 11/14/15, 3 Reviews
Category: Catering
Services Used: Bartender(s), Chairs, Tables, Clean Up, Delivery, Set Up, Vegetarian, Hors d'oeuvres, Plated, Server(s), Tastings, American

We had a wonderful experience with Birchtree. They went above and beyond our expectations. Our guest list included vegetarian, gluten free and kosher guests - the food was delicious, plentiful, interesting and beautifully presented. Birchtree not only did our catering but served as a coordinator and scheduler for all the other vendors during the entire process. We could not have done it without them!

Profile Picture User5585518, 2+ years ago, 3 Reviews
Category: Catering

Where to even begin about Birchtree. They are just above and beyond a wedding caterer on so many levels--from the initial time and care they took with putting together our menu, to the tasting, to the execution of the food and special cocktails. Our guests--some who are snobby New York foodies--raved about the menu and the drinks and variety of flavors and textures they were served under a tent in South Jersey this September.

But beyond the food, Birchtree provided crucial coordination and planning services that I had no idea would be so very key when we signed up with them. They thought of things we never would have considered to anticipate--like what to do with leftover flowers or when will all the deliveries be made and who will tip them. For an unusual wedding--ours was at a private estate where we had to bring in all the vendors ourselves--this made the difference between a flawless event and total disaster--which it might well have been without their assistance! I never felt hammered over the head, just gently prodded in the right direction.

Their day of catering staff were friendly and competent, they are women owned and use local produce, even the paper goods were compostable. And you can't beat them for value. This is a catering service you can feel good and secure about on so many levels.

Profile Picture heather, 9/19/15, 3 Reviews
Category: Catering

Consider yourself lucky if you hire Birchtree as your caterers. They got Best of Philly 2015 for a reason! Birchtree just catered our outdoor wedding of 185 guest and it was seamless and people are still raving about the food. They are passionate about what they do and it shows in their food and everything they do. Chef Rasa has such a calm demeanor which is so helpful in the crazy wedding planning process and her team are so efficient and on top of everything. I had so much confidence in them. Birchtree will work with you to customize a menu to your liking and will guide you through the process. They really do it all and will even work with your other vendors and provide a timeline for the day and be your day of coordinators which was very helpful for the flow of the day. They use a lot of locally sourced and seasonal ingredients. We talked to a lot of caterers before making our decision and Birchtree was so far above their competition. I cannot recommend them enough. We are already trying to figure out how we can use them in the future.

Profile Picture Kathleen, 9/5/15, 1 Review
Category: Catering

My wife and I wanted a caterer that was local to Philadelphia and one who used fresh, seasonal ingredients in a simple, but elegant way. After doing some research online, we found Birchtree and never second guessed our decision. Allegra and Rasa were such an amazing team to work with. From making our initial menu selections, to our tasting, and to the execution of our reception, they made for such a special night. They truly listened to our requests and did not disregard even the smallest details of the night.

Our reception was flawless, everything was timed exactly the way we wanted it, and we had so many great compliments on the taste and styling of the food. We highly recommend the Birchtree crew. They make some delicious food and are really the sweetest group of gals.

Profile Picture User5347224, 2+ years ago, 1 Review
Category: Catering

Birchtree did an amazing job catering our wedding. The food was absolutely delicious. Our guests raved about the cocktail hour apps and dinner selections. A lot of care and thoughtfulness went into all the details big and small - from ceremony and the welcome table to table centerpieces to sneaking us food and drink throughout the day :) Chef Rasa, Allegra, Jamie, Annie, and the entire team were wonderful to work with and radiated excitement and positivity throughout our time with them. Special thanks to Annie for being extremely organized and an amazing day-of coordinator and all the service staff for their help! We felt very supported on the big day and all the days, weeks, and months of planning leading up to it. Our wedding day was everything we had dreamed of and more, thanks to Birchtree's above-and-beyond execution of our vision. Thank you thank you thank you!

Profile Picture User5350464, 2+ years ago, 2 Reviews
Category: Catering

After talking with several other caterers and receiving what felt like canned proposals, we finally found exactly what we had been searching for in Birchtree Catering.

From our very first contact, Rasa took the time to learn about us and engage in our story and in response crafted an incredible menu inspired by the foods and ingredients that we’ve shared in our relationship. They aced the tasting and then executed perfectly at the wedding. The beautifully presented family style dishes elicited loads of compliments and even more clean plates. Every element, from the signature cocktails down to the bar snacks, were coordinated to create an experience that was uniquely “us”.

Birchtree’s design services allowed us the freedom to DIY when we wanted to and delegate when we didn’t. Jenna created a proposal that captured the mood and style we were looking for and organized all of the little details to make it perfect. She arranged antique furniture pieces and decor that we provided to create beautiful tablescapes and an intimate outdoor patio, and created custom signage for every component of the event styled to match the save-the-dates and invitations that we had created ourselves. She beautifully organized our homemade marmalade favors, and even provided all of the bouquets and boutonnieres for the bridal party!

In the weeks leading up to the event, the Birchtree team accommodated last minute requests and made sure everything was organized and coordinated so that we felt confident and relaxed on our wedding day. Our day of coordinator Alexandra made sure that our other vendors were organized and took charge of the timing of the ceremony in support of our first-time officiant. She even made sure we had some food and drinks set up in the back room that we briefly retreated to immediately after the ceremony.

The folks at Birchtree are creative and professional, and inspired confidence at every step along the way!

Profile Picture User3864569, 2+ years ago, 1 Review
Category: Catering, Flowers, Lighting & Decor

The second we started working with the team at Birchtree, I knew we had made the right choice. I've worked in private events and catering for over five years, so food and service in particular were incredibly important to me. We got the best of both of those things with Allegra and Rasa.

We had a bit of a bump about midway through our planning and needed to switch venues which proved to be a bit stressful. Luckily we had an amazing team to keep us focused and calm and adjust our menu in a way that better suited our space but still made us comfortable. After several walk throughs and more emails that I could begin to count, it was the wedding day. As anyone who has worked in events can attest to, taking off the "planner" hat is easier said than done. I knew that I had assembled an incredible group of professionals so I was actually able to relax and just show up. When we finally got to the venue I was blown away by how perfect and beautiful everything looked. On top of that we were greeted by so many incredibly attentive servers, bartenders and of course the dream team of Allegra and Rasa. Everything was finished and polished and I got to sit and allow myself to get nervous about actually getting married :)

From the start of the ceremony to the end of the reception, I had nothing to worry about. I was offered food and drink before I even knew that I needed it. We felt like the most important people in the room which was really an amazing feeling. And did I mention the food?! I wish I had taken the time to eat more but from what I tasted and from what everyone kept telling me, the food was insane! We could not have asked for a more perfect wedding and are so sad it's over.

Profile Picture Ashley, 4/18/15, 3 Reviews
Category: Catering

The team at Birchtree was absolutely amazing. We couldn't have picked a better vendor to cater our wedding. They made my wedding day flawless and I didn't have to worry about a single thing. Their team took care of everything.

The food was spectacular!! All of our guests were very impressed with the apps, plated dinners and various other snacks that were provided throughout the night. People were raving about the food for days.

The staff is very personable and accommodating. They went far beyond the expectations I had from the start. I highly recommend them.

Profile Picture Heather, 3/14/15, 4 Reviews
Category: Catering

Birchtree did a great job with our wedding! I married a chef and restaurant owner who previously worked in high end wedding catering in NYC. Obviously, the quality of the wedding food was so important to him. Rasa and her team put together a wonderful menu and coordinated the even perfectly. The were a pleasure to work with. Our guests are still raving about the meal, months later! I would recommend Birchtree to everyone!

Profile Picture User4949363, 2+ years ago, 4 Reviews
Category: Catering

These guys were absolutely amazing! When our original venue canceled on us (certificate of occupancy issue), Birchtree Catering went ABOVE AND BEYOND to work with us to find a new location and keep our dream wedding alive.

Chef Rasa's food is delicious and beautiful, her ingredients are locally sourced, and her menus are innovative and specifically tailored to your wishes and budget.

I have nothing but THE BEST to say about these guys!

Profile Picture Abraham, 11/15/14, 4 Reviews
Category: Catering

Birchtree was our number one pick from the initial meeting. Chef Rasa listened and responded during the planning period and helped the bridal couple arrive at their perfect menu. The food was excellent and the staff was professional. Rasa, Allegra, and Jenna were supportive and responsive throughout. I can't say enough about this wonderful company.

Profile Picture Stephanie , 11/1/14, 2 Reviews
1.2

Birchtree catered our wedding. The food was fantastic and the food service was outstanding. However, the planner dropped the ball numerous times on very sentimental details through out our wedding. She also was very hard to find when needed. My flowers were overpriced and boutonnieres and wrist corsages fell apart within minutes. I would recommend them for their food.

Profile Picture User4434050, 2+ years ago, 3 Reviews