Big Ray & the Kool Kats Reviews

Big Ray & the Kool Kats 6
Big Ray & the Kool Kats 7

Johnsie · Married on 09/28/2019

Beat Band Ever!

Yall, this is the highest quality band you can possibly get for your special day! Ray was so willing to meet with us before the wedding (multiple times, thanks to me making changes), accommodated my silly requests with a smile on his face and a complete calm, and maintained a level of professionalism throughout the weekend while also seeming like someone we’d known for years. His experience in the music industry is unmatchable and literally everyone at our wedding was out on the dance floor for entire night. He is able to host/MC in a way that makes him feel like a guest of the wedding but also not the center of the night. He even had one of his crew members run out to the nearest store when a bridesmaid requested a mixer the bartender didn’t have. How amazing is that?! He knows how to read a crowd and truly made our night perfect. Not to mention the absolutely beautiful music he and his band members provided for our ceremony and cocktail hour. Would recommend a million times over!

Sent on 10/03/2019

Steve Weiler · Married on 09/21/2019

Mammoth Musical Memories of My Daughter's Wedding Reception

Big Ray and the Kool Kats helped make my daughter's wedding reception an unqualified success. The musicians and vocalists are top notch and can perform the old standards (e.g., Glenn Miller and Frank Sinatra) to Motown to Classic/Modern Top 40 and everything in between. Ray is the consummate emcee and bandleader. If you are planning a wedding reception or a dance party, hiring this band is a moral imperative!

Sent on 09/24/2019

Big Ray & the Kool Kats's reply:

It was our pleasure! What a fun event. I'm glad you were pleased. Call on me anytime for whatever musical needs you might have. Ray
  • Sheryl

Sheryl Schwartz · Married on 09/01/2019

Mother and Father of The Bride

Big Ray & The Kool Kats, Thank you for a spectacular night of dancing and music at Rachel & Ben’s Wedding! You had our guests dancing all night long! We loved Tommy- the Country singer you hired since Ben also loves Country music. Ray is not only a great Band Leader he is a great person!! Thanks again, Sheryl & Barry Schwartz

Sent on 09/11/2019

Lee Morck · Married on 07/06/2019

Incredible and unforgettable! Book big ray!

WOW.

For 5 years, I worked for one of the largest wedding agencies in America booking wedding bands out of Richmond all over the country. In fact, I personally booked Big Ray more times than I can count for past clients. I feel I have this incredibly unique perspective of being an ex agent, but also being the Groom now.

I've seen/booked a million wedding bands, but very few stick out like BRKK. Where do I even begin? His ability to have a double digit member band with incredible horn section and multiple leads and vocals? Rays organization as a band leader? The amazing communication throughout your entire event from start to finish? His ability to see your day of schedule and based on his incredibly deep experience, offer advice that no one has thought of yet? The energy they bring as soon as they step on stage? The talent of the band? The classy look? It's all 5 STAR. Ray is worth every single penny and then some.

Do not slack on your music in your budget, it makes the event. People forget so many details about weddings they've attended, but guess the one thing they always talk about years later? THE BAND! Most people want to sit down and talk with band leaders about what specifically they want to hear etc. As an agent, we always advised against getting into specific artists or when to play what, but keeping it more "no this or that, but we love this". The bands entire job is to keep everyone dancing and happy, but part of that is letting them do their thing in terms of tempo and how they structure the set. Once they've got you up, they want to keep you up and dancing. When my wife and I talked with Ray about music, he already knew I was a funk/motown/classic kind of guy. I literally said, "do what you do. Our families loves the funk". I didn't have to say another word. There was no, "I don't like this artist or that artist", just "do what you do". They're so talented that they're able to take this amazing road of feeling out the crowd in an instant and going right off that. They never stopped playing it seemed like! I danced so hard and for so long, that I had to change into a second dress shirt halfway through because I looked like I had been caught in a torrential down pour of rain. Over 2 weeks later and I am still getting emails and text messages specifically about how amazing the band was and how much fun everyone had because of BRKK.

If you want a band, go book a random act online. If you want a customized EXPERIENCE that you will never, ever forget, trust in Ray. He will take care of you and your family as his own!

Ray, you're the man!

Sent on 07/22/2019

Ashley · Married on 07/06/2019

Talented, Organized, Genuine...a must have!

Where do I begin?! Big Ray and the Kool Kats was our wedding band just over a month ago and our guests are STILL talking about them and how awesome our band was! They are so incredibly talented. They played motown/funk , pop,...exactly what we asked for! They really can do anything you want, though. When Big Ray and the Kool Kat's plays a song, it isn't played like just any other band. There's something about them that brings the crowd alive and there's this sudden energy in the room. They kept everyone out on the dance floor and knew exactly how to read the crowd. My husband danced so hard he had to change dress shirts and I changed into a short white fun dress, and they even let my bridesmaids and I up on the stage! In addition, Ray as a band leader is incredibly organized. He has everything planned and needs very little information. You can tell he's a pro from the moment you first talk with him. He worked seamlessly with our planners and photographer, making the whole event go off without a hitch. So they have the versatility, talent, and organization, but there's something else that makes Big Ray and the Kool Kats stand out. Ray is incredibly genuine and charismatic. He makes a bride feel special and a couple feel loved throughout the whole process. He, for example, even played our hymn in a different key so that one of my best friends could sing it as a solo for us, and practiced with her before she sang it. Another example is how he recognized our fur baby, dog. Our dog had been in our ceremony and worn a "I Loved Her First" sign down the aisle, and Ray even picked up on it and commented to the crowd, playing that song later. The single most important thing I can say about Big Ray and the Kool Kats is that every year when we look back on our wedding at the time of our anniversary, we'll think fondly of our memories of fun, laughter, and joy, thanks to them, and we'll be reminded each day to smile, laugh, and find joy, just how we started our marriage.

Sent on 08/08/2019
  • Deidre

Deidre · Married on 06/01/2019

Best band in Charlottesville!

We had been engaged one day when I asked my dad to call Ray because it was important to have Big Ray as our band. Ray and his band are the definition of professional. We chatted several times during the planning process to help get a feel of the type of music we wanted in addition to other specifics about us as a couple. When we had a sudden issue with our ceremony music, we contacted Ray and he came to the rescue there as well. Ray and his band know how to keep guests on the dance floor and they do the best job at it! We keep hearing from guests how much fun they had and how it was such a great wedding and "the band was awesome!" When I approached Ray about wanting to do a Last Dance with just my husband and I and the room empty, he loved it and said for us to pick the song and they'd be sure it was perfect. And, it was magical! We will always remember that moment shared and we cannot thank Big Ray and the Kool Kats enough for that and for such a wonderful night!

Sent on 10/05/2019
    Big Ray & the Kool Kats 19
    Big Ray & the Kool Kats 20
    Big Ray & the Kool Kats 21

Big Ray & the Kool Kats's reply:

What a great party! It was our pleasure and always nice to have a "home game" instead of traveling. Anytime, anywhere for your family!

Molly Ashby · Married on 05/25/2019

Extraordinary and completely worth it!

After the engagement, we started looking at venues with one goal in mind: find a date that would work for Big Ray and the Kool Kats. We fell in love with a venue, and ensured BRKK could be there, then the rest of the plans fell into place.

When I say that BRKK brought the party, I mean they literally made the wedding everything we could have asked for. From the perfect ceremony music, to cocktail hour, to dinner music, and then the grand slam with the reception, they provided the most personal experience while being the incredible professionals that they are. A little rain? No problem, they’ve got it. Really want Somewhere Over the Rainbow with a ukulele? Consider it done (and REALLY well). Want a country song for your first dance? They’ve got Tommy, their country singer.

From our first interaction with Big Ray, throughout the entire planning process, until the end of our wedding day, this team was incredible. Ask, and not only shall you receive, but it will be even better than you could have imagined. Thank you all for everything you did to make our wedding unforgettable.

Sent on 10/17/2019
    Big Ray & the Kool Kats 22
    Big Ray & the Kool Kats 23
    Big Ray & the Kool Kats 24
    Big Ray & the Kool Kats 25
    Big Ray & the Kool Kats 26

Patrick Tobey · Married on 01/30/2019

Washington Golf and Country Club welcomes Big Ray any time

I could always count on Big Ray and The Kool Kats to put on a great show and make my members happy. Been working with them for years and will continue to do so for many more. Cant say enough nice things about my experiences, always a pleasure.

Sent on 01/30/2019

Big Ray & the Kool Kats's reply:

We feel the same way about you, your staff, and your members. Anytime for WGCC. And the band meal is exquisite.,,no other venue comes close.

Katheryn M. · Married on 11/17/2018

Best of the best! Brought down the house!

Big Ray brought down the house, and was amazing to work with - across the board. He was incredibly flexible with the playlist - and had everyone on the dancefloor the entire night. Would 10/10 recommend!

Sent on 11/27/2018

Big Ray & the Kool Kats's reply:

Now THAT was a party. We just grabbed onto you and your guests and hung on for the ride. Anytime, anywhere. Ray

Patricia Lemon · Married on 11/10/2018

A Gift for All

What could be more glorious at a daughter's wedding than seeing young and old, family and friends singing, dancing, swaying, clapping, tapping, and smiling? Thanks to Big Ray and the Kool Kats we had all this and more! The ballroom brimmed with wedding flowers; happiness embraced us all; and Ray's music brought such a perfect aura to the room. Guests I had not known before this wedding day marveled at how much they could enjoy this band: they didn't over power; they played something for everyone; they are SO talented; the witty commentary was delightful. In other words, the band accomplished what music strives for . . . it brought people together with joy! In addition, the band learned the couple's university fight songs which brought people to their feet with surprise and cheers. How fun that was!! I already have been approached by 2 families who want all of Ray's contact information, and I'm putting in a request to my family for Big Ray to usher in my next milestone birthday! Fingers crossed! Thank you, BR and KK; what a gift you shared!

Sent on 11/13/2018

Big Ray & the Kool Kats's reply:

What a great party in the historic and charmingly beautiful Patrick Henry Hotel. Just the whole layout and flow made for a perfect multi level evening. Fun folks, great families, wonderful food...BRKK just tried to keep up! Thanks for having us!
  • Whitney

Whitney · Married on 10/20/2018

Big Ray Rocks!

We could not have been happier with Big Ray and the Kool Kats. Big Ray was so personal and did everything he could to accommodate any request we had. They kept everyone dancing the entire wedding. We've heard nothing but over the top positive feedback from our guests.

Thank you Big Ray and the Kool Kats for making our wedding day so special and fun!

Sent on 11/08/2018

Big Ray & the Kool Kats's reply:

What a charming event at the beach! And Whitney, your Mom and Dad were a lot of fun to work with! Big Ray

CVILLE WEDDING · Married on 10/13/2018

The BEST horn section and most tailored experience

After first speaking with Big Ray about our wedding day, I knew we'd be in experienced, good hands. Not only were they amazing musicians who could cover a wide range of genres, but they knew how to run a wedding. Everyone had a blast on the dance floor and no one wanted to leave when it was over. Best night ever!

Sent on 11/05/2018

Big Ray & the Kool Kats's reply:

Great Party! Nothing is more fun than when the groom sings with the band! I'm glad you enjoyed the evening.

Ashley · Married on 09/28/2018

Ray is one of the kindest people in the industry. He and his band the Kool Kats have performed at our annual fundraiser for the past few years, and they really elevate our guests experience. His expertise in this field has been beyond helpful in taking our fundraising efforts to the next level. We cannot wait to work with him again next year, I couldn't recommend anyone more.

Sent on 10/02/2018
    Big Ray & the Kool Kats 27
    Big Ray & the Kool Kats 28
    Big Ray & the Kool Kats 29

Connor · Married on 09/22/2018

I cannot say enough good things about Big Ray and the Kool Kats. Not only did they do all of the standard "great wedding band stuff" (i.e., play all upbeat songs in genres we requested, played music that both grandparents and millennial yuppies liked, kept everyone dancing all night, took a very short break, etc. etc.).. these guys went truly above and beyond!! For example:
    - Ray coordinated all of the audio equipment for the ceremony for almost no extra cost
    - Ray added in a keyboardist to our ceremony FOR NO EXTRA COST after we told him we wanted our recessional to be "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" b/c as Ray put it, "it'll just sound so much better with a keyboard and guitarist"
    - BRKK played a first dance song from the Broadway musical Hamilton PERFECTLY even though they had never played the song before, and I sent him the request to play the song after the original request deadline
    - After the ceremony, Big Ray saw that my wife and I hadn't been served a beverage yet, so he took our drink orders, presumably skipped the whole line for drinks at the bar, and brought us back cocktails within 2 minutes. It was incredible.
    - Ray acted as a professional MC for the whole evening, and made everything seamless. He cracked jokes, kept the party moving, and strictly adhered to the timeline set out by our wedding planner. The only person more excited than you for booking Big Ray will be all of your vendors, who dream of working with these guys.

Look, kids. There are only 3 things that matter at a wedding to all of your guests (which raises the issue of why you're spending so much money on this in the first place, but that's a separate issue). #1 - do you actually like the couple getting married? Presumably people like you guys. #2- Unfettered access to alcohol -- pretty straightforward. And #3 - A GREAT BAND. BRKK is the best band out there, full stop. Do yourself a favor, book BRKK for your wedding, and take care of priority #3.

XOXO

Sent on 10/10/2018

Big Ray & the Kool Kats's reply:

Charming folks to deal with and a great party. I only wish they had a party every Saturday, we'd like to be the house band.

Kelley Henderson · Married on 09/01/2018

Dancing the Night Away!

A night we (and our guests) will never forget! Our dance floor remained fulled and excited the entire night with ages ranging 2 - 82 with the help of Big Ray and his incrediable band. The interactions between the band and the guests made the night truly unforgettable and a wedding in which we still continue to get complements about!

Sent on 12/05/2018

Big Ray & the Kool Kats's reply:

What a beautiful evening and setting. We had fun too! Anytime anywhere for you and your friends! Ray

Molly · Married on 08/17/2018

Wow what a great choice!! I am so grateful to Big Ray for helping me throw a celebration like no other! He provided beautiful musicians for our daughter's wedding ceremony at the Greenbrier Chapel and then absolutely WOWED our guests with the best night of dance music we could have imagined. Ray was present and available for Every step of the planning process. Thank you Ray and your wonderfully talented musicians and vocalists. Oh what a night!!

Sent on 08/27/2018

Big Ray & the Kool Kats's reply:

What a great family event! Thanks for choosing us to celebrate it with you.
    Our honor and pleasure. Ray
  • Megan

Megan · Married on 07/21/2018

Big Ray & the Kool Kats are true professionals. Throughout the entire process they worked with us and Ray was able to accomodate all of our requests (including an extensive DO NOT PLAY list, sorry no macarenas over here). When it came to the night of the wedding everything went off without a hitch and the dance floor was packed with people of all ages. Overall an excellent vendor experience and highly recommend anyone interested in live music to contact them today.

Sent on 09/26/2018

Elizabeth · Married on 07/07/2018

I cannot say enough wonderful things about Big Ray and the Kool Cats!!! They played classical music for our daughter's outside wedding, perfect music during dinner, and the best dancing music ever ( with no breaks!) for the rest of the night. The dance floor was packed until the evening ended. Everyone, young and old, danced to every song! They honored our every request before and during the reception. I could go on and on.............

Sent on 07/10/2018
    Big Ray & the Kool Kats 30

Susan · Married on 05/27/2018

One word - perfection! At my niece's wedding, we heard over and over, "This is the best band we've ever seen!" Thanks to Big Ray and the Kool Kats for making the wedding a happy event for everyone - from ages two to 88! Big Ray is awesome! He honors all requests. When he heard that my niece's proposal was at Cinderella's Castle in Disneyworld, he had the band play 'When You Wish Upon a Star' while the wedding couple danced to this special surprise song. The band is a perfect mix of talent, friendliness, and professionalism. Many, many thanks to Big Ray and the Kool Kats for making this the best wedding ever with the best band ever!!

Sent on 05/30/2018
    Big Ray & the Kool Kats 31

Lauren · Married on 05/27/2018

I had the absolute pleasure of Big Ray & the Kool Kats being my wedding band. I have nothing but compliments. Everyone was so kind, the entertainment was amazing, and the entire band was engaging. They provided personalized touches (playing a Disney song after they learned that my husband popped the question in Cinderella's castle and playing the fight song to my Alma mater) and even invited the ceremony violinist up for a song with the band! I heard over and over again from various guests that it was the best wedding they had ever been to and I can't help but give the credit to this wonderful group of talent. They truly provided an experience and not just entertainment. I am forever grateful to them for the memories they provided to me, my family, and my friends.

Sent on 06/01/2018

Norman · Married on 05/27/2018

Big Ray's bad was fabulous. They played all kinds of music. Since I am the father of the bride I would say that this was the best wedding band ever. But I can honestly say that many of the guests echoed those thoughts. Not only was the music great, Big Ray was a great MC and guided us through the reception. We had so much fun.

Sent on 06/03/2018

MATTHEW · Married on 05/19/2018

WOW ! What a great night, Big Ray and his band could not have been better, very talented, engaging everyone thought this was the BEST band ever, thanks for making this a night to remember.

Sent on 06/07/2018

Pam · event on 05/06/2018

The band was a huge success for our event! Our attendees loved the interaction and danced the night away! Ray is a great liaison with the client - he is professional yet approachable and I'd work with him and his band again in a heart beat!

Sent on 05/16/2018

Dawn · Married on 05/05/2018

Big Ray is absolutely the best! Very professional! Band was fantastic! He made the wedding great, everyone loved them! He was went above and beyond the call of duty, by helping in many aspects of the wedding, not with just the music! He was extremely flexible! He kept people dancing! I highly recommend them!

Sent on 05/30/2018

Big Ray & the Kool Kats's reply:

Wow! What a party. Beautiful ceremony to stunning fireworks and people danced all night long. Thanks for having us.

Rachel · Married on 05/03/2018

Ray and the Kool Kats made the party at our wedding! The music kept everyone on the dance floor all night.

Ray was a pleasure to work with and helped make our wedding the best evening for us and our guests.

A must have band for your wedding!

Sent on 05/18/2018