Behind the Bash Catering & Events Reviews

119 | Richmond, TX

119 Reviews for Behind the Bash Catering & Events

candy · Married on 12/08/1974

I was so happy with them. Our time got by us and we were so late making plans.But they helped us right away.The food was good and the right temp. Everyone at the wedding said it was great.

Sent on 10/21/2008
  • Eileen

Eileen · Married on 06/03/2017

3.5

I am so glad that we went with BTB for our catering for our big day. We were referred to them through our planner and she was spot on. We attended one of their tastings about a year out and that sealed the deal. Everything was delicious and not the "normal" wedding food. They created a completely customized menu for us and EVERYTHING was incredible! There is a separate group for the bar at the venue, but BTB worked with them to get some of the custom things we wanted. Our menu from BTB was:
    Cocktail hour: veggie flatbreads, mini pork tacos, beef tips, bacon wrapped shrimp, guacamole station, mini margaritas, and delicious flavored water options
    Ceasar and summer salads
    Carving Stations: cornbread stuffed pork loin and beef tenderloin served with green beans and roasted potatoes
    Seafood station: shrimp cocktail, spicy shrimp cocktail, crabcakes
    Mac n cheese station
    Late night food: whataburger style honey butter chicken tacos and breakfast taquitos

They were great at handling the food allergies we had and took updates on this up until the last minute! We're so glad we went with them!!

Sent on 08/15/2017

Robert · Married on 06/01/2013

Though we were required to use Behind the Bash as the caterers are our venue, I have nothing but positives things to say about them. The cost was a little expensive, but we definitely got tremendous quality for the price. The food was excellent. I had several people come up to me and say that the food was the best they ever had at a wedding.

More important, was the responsiveness and professionalism of the staff. Behind the Bash does more than provide food, they coordinate the entire event at the venue. We worked with Mysti and she was outstanding. She took care of every detail. It was amazing how smoothly the entire event was handled.

Sent on 06/14/2013

Hannah · Married on 04/27/2019

Delicious!! Thank you!

Rachel and her team did an incredible job at catering our wedding! The passed appetizers were particularly delicious and her whole service prior to our wedding day, made me feel comfortable hiring them to take care of such a big part of our wedding

Sent on 05/16/2019

Morgan · Married on 06/10/2016

Behind the bash was awesome. Rachel was so nice to work with. Best food EVER! Which is so important for a wedding. The only complaint I have is the price. It is EXTREMELY expensive. And, she wasn't transparent at all about the 20% service charge, which is such a large part of the entire bill. Overall, the guests loved the food!

Sent on 07/07/2016

Taylor · Married on 10/12/2013

Rebekah and her team pulled together an incredible menu that our guests have been raving about for the past week. Usually wedding food isn't that great, but all of our food was delicious. Nothing was cold, over seasoned or mushy and I really appreciate how patient Rebekah was as I peppered her with questions and changed the menu several times. In the end, the result was fantastic and I would encourage any couple looking for a caterer to check them out. Highly recommend their green chile mac n'cheese and the banana pudding shots! We also really appreciated the take away boxes we were given to eat back at the hotel.

Sent on 10/17/2013

Jennifer · Married on 04/28/2012

Loved Behind the Bash. People came up to tell me the food was the best food at a wedding they've ever had. I picked a buffet plan that I wanted. Unfortunately, at the grand tasting, I had this delicious beef tenderloin that was a perfect medium rare. That meant I needed to go up a catering level..bummer. But when I mentioned it to Rachel at the final meeting a month before the wedding, she said I could get rid of a couple things, and add the tenderloin for the same price. I ended up adding another side for $2/pp. She also made one of the entrees into an appetizer for us!! It really was a dream menu for us. It had all of our favorite foods.

I loved having a plate for me as soon as dinner time started, and our "to-go" boxes! We actually ate a second dinner when we got back to the room =)

Great experience. Only negative is that they are a little slow on the email, but she usually got back to me in a few days. I know BtB caters places other than Briscoe Manor, so if you see them as your preferred vendor, BOOK IT!

Sent on 10/18/2012

Jessica · Married on 03/13/2009

EVERYONE loved our food!! It was amazing. We also got our ice sculpture from them and it was perfect! Behind the Bash knows what they are doing!

Sent on 05/27/2009

Lauren · Married on 03/26/2010

Behind the Bash catered our wedding at Briscoe Manor (they are the required in-house caterers.) We were EXTREMELY pleased with the service and quality of the food! They had a private tasting for all the brides booked at Briscoe and it was amazing... SO much good food to choose from.

We had a private meeting (phone conference for me since I was located in a different city) and Rachel was very accommodating. She was honest and down to earth and helped me decide on our menu when I had questions about what most people prefer to something else.

When you book at Briscoe Manor, you're required to match catering costs to a minimum costs spent on booking the venue. I think we ended up spending more on catering than we did on the venue (to feed about 200 guests a full dinner buffet & open bar (beer/wine/champagne).)

In between the ceremony and reception, they served passed appetizers and an open bar in the courtyard area of Briscoe Manor, then provided an excellent dinner buffet in the ballroom, shortly following. We got a lot of great feedback on how delicious the food was.

Overall, we were very pleased with the service and quality of the food provided by Behind the Bash.

Sent on 04/13/2010

Mary Elizabeth · Married on 04/27/2013

3.0

Great food. Everyone was extremely complimentary of the food. Their beer and wine selection was not great but their creamed spinach was and beef tenderloin was delicious.

Sent on 04/30/2013

Ashley · Married on 06/09/2012

3.5

We had a morning wedding for which they have a couple of menu options. We chose "The Rancher" complete with omelet stations, waffle stations, and a bunch of typical breakfast foods. Being the main attraction it was hard for my husband and I to eat as much as we wanted, but we did get to sample a lot. The muffins, waffle, and the bacon were AMAZING! Everything else was pretty dang good too!! My husband could not spot talking about how good the bacon was.

The bridal party were given fruits and breakfast tacos in the morning while getting ready which was a great idea so that we were sure to eat before everything.

The breakfast food is considerably less than the dinner menus so we were fortunate on this part.

Only downfall is if you will have alcohol, they charge for EVERYONE over 21 regardless of their drinking preferences.

All in all the food was excellent and the service was great too!

Sent on 06/26/2012

Pamela · Married on 08/14/2010

3.0

I loved BTB catering. Rachel was such a pleasure to work with. She went above and beyond to make sure we were happy. I was so excited and looking forward to the food after our tasting. The food at the tasting was SPECTACULAR!! Wedding day came and the service was amazing! We had a seated dinner with synchronized service and wine service. It was impeccable. The food was okay though. I think I was looking forward to the food so much and it wasn't what I expected after the tasting. The fillet mignon steaks were too red in the middle which was okay for some guests but definitely not me or my groom and most of our family members. That being said though, I would definitely use BTB catering again in a heartbeat. The food is amazing, the service is amazing, and I highly recommend them!!

Sent on 09/02/2010

4.2
      2.5

We really wanted our wedding at The Parador and so our only option for catering was Behind the Bash. Mysti was very professional and responsive. The service was great, but I do feel like the food was overpriced. We spent A LOT of money on food and drinks and we were only able to choose from the lower end menu selections. In comparing other caterers, I feel like we could have gotten more for our money through a different company, but like I said we really wanted our wedding at The Parador. On the up side, the food was delicoius. :) We had great appetizers and when we went to the food tasting the held at The Parador, we loved everything we tried.

Sent on 11/08/2012

3.4
      3.5

The food was pretty good. They were difficult to get in touch with early but that changed as they day got closer. They will work with you to get the menu you want

Sent on 06/28/2013
  • alicianieves

Alicia · Married on 09/05/2010

2.8
      3.0

The Venue is beautiful, however it all comes with a cost.

2 weeks before our wedding we where informed that the person who had been helping us for the past 9 mo. would not be there on our wedding day.

We had always been told that if we wanted to purchase an extra hour that there would not be an issue. We had a very large wedding. In our party we had 20 people, not to mention about 300 guests. They did not mention time to us until we only had 30min till our event was supposed to end. At that time I had not even gotten to dance with my grandfather, or done the dollar dance, our dance part of the reception was only about 45min. We asked if we could purchse an extra hour, & we where told no that it had to be done in advance. This was the 1st time anyone had ever said that to us. I was already very upset by this, then after the fact they charged us for an extra hour which obviously we didn't stay for.

My only food complaint is that I had several people tell me that they did not get any cake. They said the the cake was passed out to the tables, and then was picked back up by the cattering service before everyone had a chance to eat it.

Sent on 10/19/2010

2.6
      1.5

Overall the service provided was pretty good and everything went pretty well. The food was high quality. Though we don't understand why their standard layout has white linens but ivory napkins.

That being said, our day of wedding coordinator was extremely rude and will always be embedded into my and my guest's memories (as a bad memory). Being direct is understandable for someone in this position, but she was flat out mean, sarcastic, and insulting. Nearly 20 different guests made formal complaints to us about her. Her attitude was unacceptable for the event. She also made some key mistakes/misjudgments:

-She threw away our wedding cake (a very large cupcake), even though we wanted to keep it, that's wedding 101.
    -She was yelling at people and rushing them to leave at the end of the wedding.
    -The bride was forced to be in a bathroom for the 30 minutes just before the wedding started. While this was part of the groom not seeing her before the wedding, there should have been a better way. The coordinator was very controlling about this and did not trust the groom at all to "not look".
    -She did not tell the wait staff the plan for vegetarian meals. We did not pay extra for vegetarian plates since the food we selected had enough vegetarian options there. However when our guests asked the waiters manning the buffet if they were vegetarian they were told "no". They said the food was cooked with beef broth, when in reality it was cooked with vegetable broth (or at least that's what we were told). Our vegetarian guests we're forced to eat only bread or salad. Some actually left the wedding and got dinner elsewhere. This was an unacceptable miscommunication.
    -the bridal sweet was always locked. while we understand this was done to protect our stuff it was handled very oddly. There was a worker in the bridal sweet most of the night, but she would not unlock the door to let people in. We were forced to located the wedding coordinator and have her unlock it.

Sent on 12/18/2015

2.6
      1.0

Behind the Bash previously had an exclusive contract with The Parador (event location) that required you to use them if you were having your event at The Parador. It seemed that around the time of our wedding they possibly had a falling out and no longer wanted to be affiliated with each other. This caused some awkwardness as neither wanted to take on the responsibilities of the other, so there was some back and forth on things, and you could just tell there was some friction. What made me unhappy was the day of wedding planning services. Our wedding planner dropped the ball on some things and did not get along with our other vendors (photographer and DJ). I will say that the food was fantastic and the price for the services was reasonable when compared to other vendors. But we did have to watch out for hidden fees and 'extras' that added up quick.

Sent on 02/10/2016

jessika · Married on 07/25/2009

1.4
      1.5

The reception was beautiful, the service was friendly, but we were assured that there had never been any mishap with money missing. We gave the keys to a Behind the Bash employee at the end of the night to pull up the car, and when we came back later a gift that was left in the car had been opened and money had been taken out. they were the only ones with access to the car the whole time. It is despicable that one has to worry about the sales representative on such a wonderful day.

Sent on 07/28/2009

tony · Married on 02/17/2018

0.5

During cocktail hour, half of our family were inside the chapel still taking pictures only to come out to no food even with 30 mins left. More than half of the guest weren’t at cocktail hour till 30 mins after it started and they’re claiming everything was eaten within 20-30 mins?
    During the dinner, a person at the head table did not get their plate and one of the groomsmen gave up his own to accommodate another guest. Our DJ was told to wait till after the guests have received their food but never received his plate.
    The most alarming issue throughout the whole dinner was staff picking up plates too early. Guest would barely touch their plates and get up to go get a drink at the bar only to come back to their plates being cleaned away. We’re told they clean plates with napkins on them. Some people might of done this but not everyone. We had fireworks earlier than expected which lasted 5-10 mins so people were about halfway through their dinner when they came back their plates were gone.
    The cake was served and picked up within mins. They saw the cake being passed out as they headed to the bar but by the time they came back to their tables it was gone. People were asking for cake and were told there wasn’t any more or to wait. BTB told us that cake is usually picked up 15 mins before the event is over.
    I’m not sure what went wrong that night with Behind the Bash and their staff as we’ve read nothing but great things. Their mac and cheese is delicious and their bar service was excellent. That being said, having my 90 year old uncle tell me the next day that he had to go find food after the wedding because they took his food too early is the last thing we wanted to hear, especially when we paid the price we did and the inclusion of the mandatory tip. If you make it mandatory, you better deliver. Behind the Bash did not deliver. If anything, they completely failed at every step of that dinner service.

*Original review was cut short due to character limits.

Sent on 03/15/2018