Alterations by Wendy Reviews

Alterations by Wendy 5
Alterations by Wendy 6
Alterations by Wendy 7

Kim · Married on 09/23/2012

My wedding was a few weeks ago, my dress fit perfectly!! I had to buy the next size up because of my bust and I was so concerned that it wold not fit or look right. But Wendy did a fabulous job. My dress was beautiful and really made me happy!!

Sent on 10/19/2012

Courtney · Married on 09/15/2012

I don't even know where to start about Wendy! I used her to take in a bridesmaid dress that was WAY too big for me. I was really nervous about it. Wendy was so informative and put my anxiety at ease. She walked me thru what she would be doing, told me things that were needed and things that I didn't need. Didn't try to upsell me. Gave me her opinion and let me decide. The final result was nothing short of perfection. The dress fit my curvy body like a glove. Once the wedding day came, I was able to put my strapless bridesmaid dress on and not tug at it once, all...day...long. If you need alterations, I HIGHLY recommend her! You won't be disappointed! Ps. Forgot to mention that she is very budget friendly.

Sent on 09/23/2012

I don't even know where to start about Wendy! I used her to take in a bridesmaid dress that was WAY too big for me. I was really nervous about it. Wendy was so informative and put my anxiety at ease. She walked me thru what she would be doing, told me things that were needed and things that I didn’t need. Didn’t try to upsell me. Gave me her opinion and let me decide. The final result was nothing short of perfection. The dress fit my curvy body like a glove. Once the wedding day came, I was able to put my strapless bridesmaid dress on and not tug at it once, all day long. If you need alterations, I HIGHLY recommend her! You won't be disappointed! Ps. Forgot to mention that she is very budget friendly.

Sent on 09/23/2012

Molly · Married on 05/21/2010

Wendy Bowman, 727-459-5163, is the most talented seamstress! She was my seamstress at Honey Pot Bridal & Tux but also has her own business, Alterations by Wendy, 727-459-5163 out of her home in Clearwater, FL. She charges a fraction of the cost of David's Bridal and other shops, for hems, bustle points and all other alterations. She is very attentive and listened to exactly what I wanted. She hemmed my dress which was difficult since it had beading the entire way around. The dress had a very long train, so it required 13 bustle points on the outside and 5 on the lining. She saved me over 65% in costs over estimates from other shops!! Her schedule is flexible and was very accessible by phone. Hire this amazing lady!! She's so talented at her craft!! I've since returned to her for other alterations on everyday clothes. I'd recommend her to anyone!

Sent on 08/29/2010

Tracey · Married on 01/13/2018

My bustle points did not hold throughout my ceremony and at least 1 tore entirely off so you may want to ask her about prevention measures for this type of thing as I am sure she will have good advice. She was great about everything else, very knowledgable and very affordable

Sent on 01/30/2018

Alterations by Wendy's reply:

Hi Tracey!

I'm so sorry to know that your bustle points didn't hold up and that one came off completely. I've been creating bustles for 14 years and have never had even one bride tell me her bustle broke or came apart. I would be happy to meet with you and see what happened to the bustle so I can review my work and even possibly give you a refund. Please call me.

Best regards,
    Wendy Bowman
    Alterations by Wendy
    727-459-5163

Monica · Married on 12/29/2017

I bought my wedding dress off the rack so a lot of the beading needed to be fixed and it needed to be taken from a size 14 down to about a size 4. I'm so glad I found Wendy on wedding wire. She was awesome! She was reliable, affordable, and responsive to text messages and phone calls. My dress fits exactly and all of the beading is perfect. I would highly recommend her to anyone needing alterations.

Sent on 12/19/2017

Jamie · Married on 10/21/2017

I hired Wendy to do the alterations on my wedding dress ( shorten the bottom and a 3 point bustle). She was very helpful and knowledgeable during my fittings. My dress looked amazing the day of my wedding and I couldn't be happier with the results. i would definitely recommend Wendy for anyone looking for alterations at a great price!

Sent on 11/10/2017
    Alterations by Wendy 8

Sarah · Married on 09/09/2017

Wendy is very professional and must truly love what she does. I say this because I felt like she really cared and spent the time to listen to all my concerns. I bought my dress from the designer herself in another state and was recommended Wendy for alterations from a bridal shop in town that sells this designer’s dresses. She did an amazing job with my wedding dress and I couldn’t believe how low the cost was! She is confident, timely, and very skilled at what she does! I’ll be returning to have a Maid of Honor dress altered soon!

Sent on 03/23/2018
    Alterations by Wendy 9

Catherine · Married on 10/22/2016

Her work is impeccable. She made every change I asked for and the outcome was my dress rocked. Use her, you won't be sorry.

Sent on 10/27/2016

Heather · Married on 11/07/2015

I had multiple fittings with Wendy for my wedding dress. She did everything I needed to it and at a reasonable price. Thanks so much!

Sent on 11/16/2015

Chelsea · Married on 10/10/2015

I had a wonderful alterations experience with Wendy. My dress was originally two sizes too big, and with lots of gorgeous details that I feared would make alterations difficult (draping, ruching, long train, etc.). But Wendy is a pro! She did absolutely stellar work in a very reasonable time frame at an extremely reasonable price. She also explained (in detail) each step of the alterations process and why certain things could or couldn't be done, which I really appreciated.

In the end, my dress was perfect. Thank you, Wendy!

Sent on 10/19/2015

Carolin · Married on 06/01/2013

I found Wendy on Wedding Wire after refusing to go back to my bridal store to get alterations done on my dress. Wendy works out of her home but do not let that put you off - she is amazing!!! On our first meeting, I tried on my dress for the first time since ordering it and turns out it was almost two sizes too big! I had to hold it up because it kept falling down. I was worried that more than one alterations appointment would be necessary but Wendy assured me that she could have it done right the first time and as close enough to my wedding as I need. I trusted her and you should too!

I made my alterations appointment with Wendy exactly one month before my wedding and she had the dress ready on time, two weeks before my wedding as promised. It fit like a glove! I am a busty bride (36DD) so I was worried about my strapless dress not staying up and tight all night. Wendy suggested and added a band to the inside back of the dress for added support and it worked wonderfully! For most of the night anyway. After a while, the wear and length of the day got to the fabric and the dress felt bigger - I was adjusting it by the end of the night but by then all the pictures were done and over with so I didn't care.

Wendy will treat you as she would her daughter. She will not disappoint.

Sent on 06/17/2013
  • Chelsea

Chelsea · Married on 05/18/2013

Wendy Bowman did the best job on my wedding gown. I previously worked with her for about two years at a bridal boutique, and saw her phenomenal work there, which led me to her for my alterations. She was very fast, inexpensive and did gorgeous work. We also ordered my fiance's suit from England, and when it arrived it was a bit too small in the waist. Wendy did a perfect job letting those out, as well as adjusting the length. In addition, my mother had her dress for the wedding hemmed and the straps adjusted, and Wendy did a great job. Basically, my wedding could not have gone on without Wendy.

Sent on 05/25/2013

Maria · Married on 06/18/2016

Wendy was amazing! She was 3 times less than the other quotes I had gotten for alterations My dress came out PERFECT! Wendy made some great suggestions to help with costs. I would highly recommend Wendy for your bridal gown and any wedding party alterations.

Sent on 08/15/2016
  • Y

yuli · Married on 08/01/2015

Reasonable Prices for Alterations and also having my Dress steamed. Would recommend her to friends and family Thank you Wendy.

Sent on 09/03/2015

Tammy · Married on 03/28/2015

Wendy did a beautiful job on the alterations to my wedding dress. I asked her to add straps, a bustle, and shorten the hem on my dress. She had to remove the scalloped lace on the bottom of my dress to shorten it, and when she was done, you couldn't tell it had been altered. Her prices are very reasonable. If I need other alterations, I won't hesitate to call her.

Sent on 03/30/2015
  • Dena

Dena · Married on 02/09/2019

Wendy truly saved my wedding day!

I purchased a Lazaro gown off the rack knowing it had some rips and tears in it. I took it to Wendy and she fixed just about everything! It was difficult for me to find and trust someone with that style and type of wedding gown. She repaired the skirt where the tulle had ripped, and altered the heavily beaded bodice to fit me perfectly. She had to sew in cups as well. It was no easy task, but she completed it and saved my day! The only thing that was unable to be done was putting the gems in the top back in where they had fallen out - which I was able to do on my own with some glue and some tweezers. It ended up working perfectly because I purchased the gown for a steal of a price and it was fixed to look brand new. She also bustled it, which I was nervous about being a huge ballgown, but it ended up being perfect. We called the day before to remember how many bustle points it had and she did not remember (but I do have to say it was a ginormous dress!) She does amazing work. You are in GREAT hands with Wendy!!!! She is able to handle just about anything you throw at her with a wedding gown!

Sent on 02/11/2019
    Alterations by Wendy 10
    Alterations by Wendy 11

Marissa · Married on 03/10/2018

Wendy made some serious alterations to my dress one of them turning my full gown into the hi-low i of my dreams. I put my trust in her and it definitely paid off. She is open and honest about what she can and cannot do and to help make sure everything comes out how you like it. My dress was strapless and she put loops in my dress for my strapless to go through which was genius my dress stayed up all night with no problems. I can’t remwmvwe once having to pull my dress up.

Sent on 03/14/2018
    Alterations by Wendy 12
    Alterations by Wendy 13

Michelle · Married on 10/24/2014

Wendy was very professional and affordable for having my dress altered and bustled. She was nice enough to go with me to the bridal shop to find the right underskirt for my bridal gown. We decided to keep the hoop skirt, but add another fit and flare skirt on top to help hide the hoop wire so it wouldn't show. This worked out perfectly. The only thing I wish I'd done differently was hem it a little shorter. She wanted to avoid messing with the gorgeous beading on my dress (and I didn't blame her!), but I ended up stepping on my dress during the reception more than I'd have liked. However, she did an amazing job bringing it in on the sides and the bustling was perfect and easy to work with! You will enjoy working with Wendy!

Sent on 11/09/2014

Kate · Married on 02/11/2012

4.2
      3.5
      3.0

Wendy has been sewing all her life. She worked in a bridal shop for over 20 years and is now working out of her home. Bottom line is she is top bridal store quality at anywhere from 20-50% less. Her home is small so don't bring more than 1-2 people to help. She does not have room to entertain an entire family, there are no refreshment, she works so she needs evenings and weekends, but it's all worth it. She takes pride in her work and has an amazing talent. She also does everyday alterations as well. Top quality and the most affordable price you will find.

Sent on 04/28/2012

Cassandra · Married on 12/11/2015

2.2
      2.0
      1.0
      3.0
      1.0

My experience with was less than great. The end result was that my dress was perfect, but the process to was very stressful. My dress was taken in two sizes smaller than it needed to be, instead of Wendy admitting that she might have made a mistake, she proceeded to ask me repeatedly if I gained weight! Seriously? I am very careful with food and exercise and knew for a fact that not a pound had been gained nor lost. It was discussed the first time we had a fitting that the dress might not have needed to be taken in at all, but she insisted and I trusted her. I had to go back a total of three times and the end result was that the dress never needed to be taken in. However she still charged me and never refunded me and again she brought up the weight issue. I did not feel that this was professional in any shape or form. When I picked up my dress she even had the nerve to ask me to write a good review for her, never asking me if I was truly please with the process. I will never work with this woman again and I have told this story to all of my friends and family. Hopefully I can prevent another bride from going through the nightmare I did. It is never professional to continually ask about someone's weight and if you make a mistake just own it. As working professionals we all make mistakes, own up to and move on. This was a disappointing experience; I am just grateful that there wasn't any damage to my dress and the end result was a very beautiful wedding dress.

Sent on 12/16/2015