All The Above Events Reviews

All The Above Events 4
  • Melissa

Melissa Lo · Married on 03/16/2019

Awesomeness

My husband and I just had our wedding on 3/16/2019, yes only a few days ago. And we are both so very happy that we found James as our MC/DJ. I would like to point out, that even though he is quite busy, he replied very quickly about setting up an appointment and confirming his availability. Though we live in the SGV region, James was very considerate and met us closer in DTLA at a Starbucks for our first meet. At first my then fiancé, wasn't sure since he just heard what I told him I read about James services online. When we had our meet, he was impressed and we were wanting to put down our deposit to book our date. Keep in mind- not to force us into booking right away, there was another couple already requesting the same date (he showed it to us) and really it was for my wedding date! So we were even more anxious to want to seal the deal. He has different ways of making a deposit (I finally used for the first time in my life VENMO) and we were set. Right after he sent us a detailed email (like super super detailed) for those brides/grooms who need direction (myself). It had a list of a VIP names, to write down your party, and song selection, he even gave us a TIMELINE sample so he knows how to coordinate... and he even has a HUGE lists of SONGS (for EVERY POSSIBLE SECTION, cake cutting, bouquet toss, entrance, first dance, garter toss... you name it) I WILL SAY, I was prob one of the most unorganized brides he probably had. With working two offices and trying to plan a wedding a lot of small details I missed. Nik and I also couldn't decide on certain songs, and with the suggestions from groomsman and James VAST music list. Yes, the day of he had songs for us. YUP, the DAY OF. I literally did not have an exit song, or a entrance song (for dinner) until that day. James also took control of the reception, making sure things were on time and schedule. He also went over everybody's name to say them correctly, when we entered the ballroom. Prior to our wedding my hubs wasn't too keen on games, even though I felt we had to have some entertainment. He finally agreed to a few, one being HE IS/SHE IS, and a scavenger hunt game. He thought the scavenger one would be too messy and busy. And on top of that we had a ton of kids (who James worked with very well!) Well, all I can say is it was super entertaining, James worked the the crowd, including giving one of our kids and extra chance when my aunt (who knew) because super competitive and beat her! LOL. We were all laughing and enjoying and Nik was the first to say he was so glad we added in the game, and that James did a great job. Of course the night continued with our garter toss (which my little nephew won) and which James had a great convo with in front of everyone. The kids loved his music for the dance floor, and all young and old alike came to dance. JAMES also provided us with uplighting, and he also threw in some extra for us. It was beautiful, and he was great. He is also very attentive, and replies quickly. And no question is too dumb, or repetitive. Make sure you provide dinner for him (it keeps him energized ^^") and honestly thats just a nice thing to do, after all he is there all day! James was at our wedding preparing from 2pm until midnight cleaning. I will even end this with a note that one of my good friends is also a DJ, but we had asked him to attend as a guests. And he went to introduce himself to James, and he even stopped by to tell me my DJ choice was great. Thats coming from another professional in the same field... so I feel thats a great compliment on how awesome James is. This is a long review, but in all honestly good service deserves recognition. For such a big event in our life I am so glad we had such a wonderful person to work with. I would suggest him to any couple who needs guidance with making their wedding fun for all ages (FYI: I had kids as young as 2-12 running around plus Asian seniors) who ended up dancing, playing games, having fun. Thats saying a lot when your person can pull that together. Thank you James for the best service ever! 100% recommend, book early don't miss the chance of having him take care of your special day!

All The Above Events 5

Jennifer Lee · Married on 03/02/2019

Best choice I’ve ever made!

James was cordial, organized, efficient, understanding, and best of all, fun! We could not have asked for a more perfect wedding. 100% recommend without a doubt!

• Brian

Brian Park · Married on 12/09/2018

James offer A+++ service! Highly recommended!!

I was referred to James from a friend who had used him for his wedding. With my uber busy schedule, he was extremely flexible and quick to my often delayed responses.

On the day of the event, he put together an awesome playlist of requested and recommended songs. Most importantly, he was able to 'feel out' my wedding crowd making sure the music kept everyone in a fantastic mood.

What I also like about James was his willingness to go with the flow. He supported us when we started moving around the chain of events that day. He never showed any frustration and made the changes seamless.

Would empathically recommend him for any event requiring emceeing and/or music.

Thanks James!

Rich Woo · Married on 10/27/2018

Must use, such a great DJ!

I talked to a couple wedding DJs before choosing to work with James. Our initial planning conversation was helpful and I was hopeful that he could deliver on a great experience. He not only came through with an amazing set of music, but we had so many compliments on how awesome the music and snacking was. James really struck the right balance between listening to our suggestions and also adding in things the audience would like. He also understood what the crowd wanted (ie. When everybody was dancing and into the music he didn’t throw in a random slow song like most DJs do to unintentionally kill the vibe). Thank you James, what a memorable night!

Michael Romero · Married on 09/29/2018

Incredible dj

James is incredibly professional, excellent dj who got the wedding party jumping, and felt the pulse of the crowd and kept the party going strong. He was very easy to communicate with and understood our vision of what we wanted.

Teale · Married on 08/11/2018

Awesome & Professional Wedding DJ

We hired James as our wedding DJ after he did my best friend’s wedding. There was NO DOUBT in our mind that he would do an excellent job at ours too..and he did! He is very professional, flexible and knows what he’s doing. He’s also very thoughtful. For example, he asked me minutes before if I wanted to split my mother/son dance with my step mom. It was a great idea and I’m so glad I did. We highly recommend James!

Dave & Teale

tim · Married on 06/16/2018

James hosted our wedding this past June in Malibu. He did an amazing job and was extremely professional throughout the entire process. A couple weeks before the event he even met us up and walked through everything. The day of he did a great job hosting and making sure the music was on point. I don't usually write yelp reviews but I did because James is great. He also DJ'ed my buddies wedding and he had a great feedback as well.

Li · Married on 05/20/2018

It was such a joy working with James! I'm so happy to have him on my big day. Honestly he was the only vendor that I didn't meet in person before booking, and I didn't meet until the day of. Why? Because it wasn't necessary. The first time James asked if he can have 10 minutes of my time on the phone, I knew he can do a good job. He nailed that 10 mins! He was always available when I have questions. He worked really hard to get everyone's name pronounced right (trust me some of those names were difficult), and I also have a lot of Chinese songs sent to him in MP3. He listened to all of them. He provided me a list of fun wedding games, and I picked one to prepare. We didn't end up playing that game but it was good knowing we have something if people get bored.

On the day of, he arrived so early to set everything up, by himself. And he stayed until the very end. Everybody had fun dancing and partying! I'm not getting married again but I'd definitely like to work with James again on something else!

All The Above Events 6
    All The Above Events 7
    All The Above Events 8

Benjamin · Married on 05/19/2018

We had heard about James from a colleague when researching DJ/MC for our wedding and only heard great things. We reached out to James and from the initial point of contact it was nothing but amazing and efficient. For those that are planning a wedding, there are enough things to think about. If you hire James, this is one worry off of your list. He was very easy to work with providing detailed information that was required from us and giving us ideas on how to structure our ceremony/reception songs if need be. If we had any thoughts ourselves, he walked us through the make sure that we weren't missing anything. In the build up towards the wedding, he was EXTREMELY organized and that was much appreciated! During the reception, he was great with our guests as well. We had guests come up to us asking how long we've known the MC/DJ because they thought we had known him for years the way he integrated himself so well into our wedding (in a very good way). I wholeheartedly recommend James to anyone that wants to eliminate this potential stress from their wedding equation.

J&M · Married on 12/03/2017

James was very helpful and professional. He helped us coordinate our ceremony so that there were enough microphones for all parts and he was quick to respond in emails. We got many comments from guests and family about what an organized and efficient MC he was, keeping the night running smoothly and on time. Would highly recommend. Thanks, All The Above Events!

Charles · Married on 10/14/2017

James provided excellent service and is very accommodating. He worked with us to provide great songs for the refreshment hour and reception. He provided us with a slightly slowed down version of our first dance song which made the song's pace perfect for our dance. He stayed for the entire reception and continued playing music until the dance floor was being removed! He worked with us to make sure he had pronunciation of all the names correct and he understood the style that we preferred. He worked closely with our Wedding Coordinator to develop a timeline for the rehearsal and kept things moving at a nice pace. We were very pleased with his service.

Lucy · Married on 09/16/2017

James was amazing to work with and we made the right decision for our wedding! From the very beginning he was very responsive, on time, professional and very personable. He was so easy to work with and knew exactly what he was doing! He did everything we asked and the uplighting color we requested turned out perfect. He kept the party going and was so great with all our guests. We appreciate all this hard work. You cannot go wrong with having James at your event!

Jennifer · Married on 09/09/2017

My friend Caleb introduced us to James (DJ Jounce) and we’re so glad we had James to DJ at our wedding. James is professional, kind, and fun. From the start, he was very responsive to our email and we had our phone meeting right away. James sent us a spreadsheet so we can provide our music preferences for ceremony, cocktail hour, etc. We wrote something funny like “please no certain type of music” and he met our request. He made sure that the music fit our tastes and understood how to read the crowd and the mood well. James is also hip and young therefore accepts Venmo payments. He was able to also bring all of the audio equipment required.

My utmost respect for James was when one of our guests was drunk and gestured James to do something for us, yet James smiled and politely when along with it. I am definitely recommending James to my single friends for their future wedding.

James was easy to work with and James got everyone to dance. We received so many comments from family members and friends such as “I’ve never seen _____ dance before!”

Jane · Married on 05/13/2017

James was without a doubt, the best choice we could have made for a DJ for our wedding. He was incredibly organized and professional. Wedding planning can get kind of hectic and James made sure that he had everything he needed on his end and continuously kept in contact with us to make sure everything was going smoothly. He was so prompt in his responses and in every interaction, it was clear that he wanted us to feel comfortable and happy. The wedding coordinator at our hotel had doubts that people would stay past midnight but with James's music, our dance floor was full until 1 am. He even helped my bridesmaids with a surprise projector and slideshow, he did a soundcheck with my father who wanted to play his saxophone, he played test runs for my husband and I to practice our first dance, and the entire time he was so calm and patient and reminded us that it was our day. My husband and I felt incredibly blessed that we had such an amazing DJ. A lot of times, people don't put a lot of thought into who their DJ is but for us, it set the tone for throwing the most amazing event of our lives. Thank you so much James!

Raquel · Married on 04/21/2017

We are incredibly happy that James from All the Above Events was our DJ/MC for our wedding in April 2017. We interviewed several DJs and had trouble finding one that was not looking to up sell and really took an interest in what feel we were looking for for our ceremony and reception. After filling out a few short templates I felt like James really understood what genres we wanted for the various aspects of our wedding day. He chose a great mix of genres and styles that our guests really enjoyed. He was very accommodating to our special requests and those of our guests. He avoided anything on the "do not play" list and actually played everything on our wish list at some point during the evening. He did a great job of reading the energy of the crowd and transitioning gradually to more "club" type music later in the night (per our request). The dance floor was packed the entire night and we got many compliments on the entertainment! Additionally, James is a great MC for a wedding. He had great charisma and helped transition through various parts of the night seamlessly (parent dances, toasts, cake cutting). We highly recommend All the Above Events!

Kirstie · Married on 12/28/2016

James is the BEST and sweetest person to work with! Not only is he extremely professional, he is VERY good at what he does. We had an extremely diverse crowd at our wedding including Koreans and Brazilians, and James was extremely accommodating to all our requests. We didn't give James too much to work with in the beginning, but his music selection kept everyone on the dance floor all night! He was worth every single penny and we HIGHLY recommend him for any event. We are so happy and blessed to have had James be our DJ for our wedding day. If we could rate any higher, we SOO would :) Our only regret is that we weren't able to take a photo with him :(

THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH!!

Angela · Married on 09/03/2016

Music was huge for my husband and me when we were planning our wedding. Our friends had high expectations and we knew we couldn't disappoint. James was the second vendor we booked and easily the best decision we made. He made the whole day flow perfectly. James was so responsive and professional from the beginning and I always felt less stressed after talking to him. James nailed every song request we had, but what really sealed the deal for us was when he started dropping his mashups and remixes. Everyone loved it!

After a few conversation James knew exactly what my husband and I were going for and he killed it. We were afraid our parents and grandparents were going to think our music choices were too non-traditional, but for even weeks after, our parents couldn't stop raving about our DJ. He kept things flowing and got the crowd pumped up. He really set the tone for the night and exceeded all our expectations! Guests kept coming up to us throughout the night saying the music was on point, our dj was killing it, and a few even snagged his business card for their own wedding!

Go with James! You'll be so glad you did!

Molly · Married on 07/17/2016

James was incredible! I wasn't impressed by the Dj's that our wedding venue suggested. So I went to Yelp.... as I do with most crucially important decisions of my life. His perfect 5 star rating caught my attention. And let me tell you, his perfect 5 star rating is deserved. From the moment we contacted James, he was everything we hoped all of our other vendors would have been. He listened to what we wanted, he was attentive, and he just blew us away on our wedding day. My (now) husband and I are very laid back people. We wanted to trust our vendors to make the best decisions for our day and to just take care of it! We had too much to worry about to fret over what songs would be played throughout the whole evening and how our MC would conduct him or herself. We chose people that we trusted to take the reins and just do what they do best. James is one of those people. He was one of the few vendors we hired that really impressed us with his passion and professionalism. James has the gift of being a phenomenal MC AND Dj. You usually don't get both. He was not pretentious as I find most wedding Dj's to be... he was a true pro... all the while being completely endearing and lovely. We could not be happier that we chose James to be a part of the most memorable day of our lives (thus far). He is so obviously passionate about what he does. He has a genuine enthusiasm and evident desire to make your day as best as it can be. If I could give him more than 5 stars, I would! If I ever have another Dj worthy event, James is the only man I will accept. If he is unavailable, then my party will have to be rescheduled to a day where James IS available. (Mic drop)

Andrea · Married on 06/23/2016

James is the best DJ I have ever come across and a great master of ceremony! From start to finish, ceremony to reception, he exceeded our expectations to the fullest. He listened to every single one of my requests and insured that all of the small details were 100% to our satisfaction. Our friends and family are still buzzing about how amazing the music was and we would definitely recommend James to everyone we know!!!

Joed · Married on 06/04/2016

The best advice I can give couples is to do your homework when picking out your vendors. When you have good vendors/services, the wedding process is a lot smoother. With that said, DJ James, from All The Above Events, is an A+ DJ/MC. From the start of the process, James is as professional as they get. You have a variety of options with James, he is willing to meet in person to discuss and plan out your needs. You also do not feel any pressure when it comes to making your decision on which DJ service you want, he even recommends that you talk to other DJ's. Leading into the wedding date, all your questions are answered in a timely manner. You are provided a easy fill in timeline sheet to help you track how your wedding day is going to play out. When the day comes, James just tell you relax, have fun and he just takes over. The dance floor was never empty, he has great song selection and a good feel for the crowd. Clear, loud, booming voice to get people's attention and keep the party on track. Courteous and kind to all your guests. Top of the line sound, light and DJ equipment. Easy payment options. I chose James because I was impressed when he DJ my friends wedding. My wedding consist of 200+ guests, and all of my guests had high praises for him.

Daisy · Married on 05/28/2016

The DJ/MC is incredibly important to the wedding, which is why we hired James more than a year out from our wedding date on 5/28/16. We had put down a deposit before we even met him based on his stellar reviews, and it was one of the best decisions we made.

What I appreciated the most was that he responds to emails promptly, which not all vendors do. He also answers all your questions and even offers helpful suggestions. On the day of our wedding, he did a stellar job MC'ing. We changed things up by having guests from each table come to our sweetheart table instead of us going from table to table, and he did a fantastic job preparing our guests for it. He was great with the games as well. It was funny and entertaining. Even when things didn't go exactly as planned, as in I forgot to wear my garter for the garter toss and it was locked in the bridal suite (ugh, bridal brain), he helped me find my bridesmaid and told her to get my garter fast. Thank God he stepped in cuz I was just standing there panicking.

After the wedding, we had friends and family telling us that our MC was really good and that our wedding wasn't boring. We owe it all to him. James is great at what he does. To top it off, he's very professional and hard-working. You can tell he values his clients and puts them first, which is rare.

Don't even think about it, just hire him! It'll be the best decision you'll make.

Cindy · Married on 05/21/2016

I had the pleasure of working with James for my wedding on May 21, 2016. James is really easy going and can adapt to changes, which happens often with wedding planning. He's super prompt in getting back to emails, which is important in this line of work. No bride and/or groom wants to wait days for vendors to get back to them, and my fiance and I never had this issue with James. On the wedding day, he's ready to go when needed, played all the right songs for our ceremony and reception. He's great on the mic - a naturally funny guy that is great at getting the crowd's attention and keeping it. He played a scavenger hunt game that our guests thoroughly enjoyed, especially our wild game participants, and we loved watching! Music selections were on point. My fiance and I are huge hip hop and R&B fans, and he played all the right stuff, including songs that the older folks appreciate. He knew what to play and when to play them. So many friends and family came up to us telling us how much they loved the music. A friend even told me how a lot of the music brought her and her husband back to their dating days...love it! Cousins emailed me asking me if I had the wedding music on a Spotify list or something. I said nope, we gave James some must play songs and he pretty much took it and ran with it! In all the hustle and bustle of a busy wedding day, I still remember hearing my must plays and it got me dancing and prancing around....it was such a fun night and it was definitely in part (a HUGE part) to James. We were sad the night was coming to an end. James played our "last song" request which was Jay-Z's "Forever Young". But heck, after that song ended, you know there's always a request for just ONE MORE! And of course, one of our friends requested Drake's "One Dance" and James was on it like nobody's business. *sigh* We wish we can do it all over again!! Thank you, James, for doing an awesome job and making our wedding an unforgettable one!!

Karolynn · Married on 04/15/2016

Best dj and master of ceremonies for the reception ever! He is so professional and has a great energy about him. Planning and coordinating with this vendor was a dream, and he helps to keep you organized as well! You can be confident that he will do the best job for your wedding and you won't regret the decision! Thank you James!

Jon · Married on 03/19/2016

We have been to two other weddings that James did and we had a blast at those so when it came time to choosing our DJ, there was only 1 person on our list. James is great to work with before the event, very responsive, very flexible, and very accommodating. During the event he is electric, keeps the dance floor full, plays a great mix of music, and when we were running late, he knows how to bring it all back together. He also puts together a beautiful ceremony. For us, the DJ was the top 1st or 2nd most important choice for our wedding and I am so happy that we chose James. I would highly recommend contracting with James for any event and I would definitely choose him for any future events that we have.