All The Above Events Reviews

All The Above Events 3
All The Above Events 4
  • Steven

Steven Hentges 路 Getting married on 12/04/2019

James helped to make our wedding magical.

Planning a wedding is stressful. Trust me, hiring James from All of the Above Events to DJ/MC your wedding or any live event will decrease your stress level immediately. Our wedding coordinator recommended several DJ鈥檚 for us to look at. James was at the top of the list, and for good reason. From our first conversation, James was personable, well-informed, organized and as professional as they come. We had some VERY specific ideas about the direction of our music throughout the arrivals, ceremony, cocktail hour and reception. James was always there to guide us while working with us to achieve our vision. Throughout the process, he was available and responsive. When we needed a full outdoor movie theater projection screen and photo booth, James came through. His lighting system was sublime. So many of our guests came up to us to say what an amazing, beautiful and fun wedding it was. I have no doubt that a large part of that is due to James and his excellence. Thank you for making our special night even better than we could imagine.

Sent on 04/16/2019

Andrew Mok 路 Married on 06/01/2019

Go with all of the above!

James is fantastic!! Everything you could ask for in a DJ for your wedding and more. To start, James is a talented DJ who played all the right jams at the right times (incl. some of his own mixes). James is also a great MC who knows how to transition from one event to the next seamlessly, and is great at hyping up the crowd when needed. For our mother-son and mother-daughter dances, he went above and beyond and created CUSTOM mixes for us and send it to us weeks in advance for review. Lastly, James is extremely professional -- we never had to worry about anything. He was always on top of everything and super responsive from start to finish. Even after the wedding was over, a couple of our guests loved the music so much that they asked for his playlist, and James went out of his way to compile it for us and send it over. Seriously, would rate his services more than 5 stars if we could - go with James if you're considering. Couldn't recommend him enough!!!

Sent on 06/16/2019
  • aimy

aimy 路 Married on 05/18/2019

The best! Highly recommend!

James was awesome! Very friendly and energetic 馃榿
    Everyone LOVED the music and the dance floor was busy until the very end (1AM)!

We highly recommend him for all events!
    Thank you for helping make our wedding amazing!

Sent on 07/26/2019
  • Frank

Frank 路 Married on 04/27/2019

Best MC/DJ ever

James was the absolute perfect final piece to our wedding. I actually found James on accident while looking for a bilingual English/Mandarin MC and his name popped up. We sure are glad we decided to go with him anyways.

James' organization and professionalism really saved us numerous times while going through all the headaches of planning for our wedding. He was super accommodating to our needs and ended up being the best MC/DJ/Officiant all-in-one package!

We only decided to pick a few songs we knew we wanted, but left the rest up to James and all our guests were thoroughly pleased. The best part was James' ability to continuously keep all the guests entertained and in the loop as the event went on. Use his wedding game suggestions!

We can't recommend James enough. It wouldn't have been the same wedding without him.

Thanks James!

Sent on 03/28/2019
  • Melissa

Melissa Lo 路 Married on 03/16/2019

Awesomeness

My husband and I just had our wedding on 3/16/2019, yes only a few days ago. And we are both so very happy that we found James as our MC/DJ. I would like to point out, that even though he is quite busy, he replied very quickly about setting up an appointment and confirming his availability. Though we live in the SGV region, James was very considerate and met us closer in DTLA at a Starbucks for our first meet. At first my then fianc茅, wasn't sure since he just heard what I told him I read about James services online. When we had our meet, he was impressed and we were wanting to put down our deposit to book our date. Keep in mind- not to force us into booking right away, there was another couple already requesting the same date (he showed it to us) and really it was for my wedding date! So we were even more anxious to want to seal the deal. He has different ways of making a deposit (I finally used for the first time in my life VENMO) and we were set. Right after he sent us a detailed email (like super super detailed) for those brides/grooms who need direction (myself). It had a list of a VIP names, to write down your party, and song selection, he even gave us a TIMELINE sample so he knows how to coordinate... and he even has a HUGE lists of SONGS (for EVERY POSSIBLE SECTION, cake cutting, bouquet toss, entrance, first dance, garter toss... you name it) I WILL SAY, I was prob one of the most unorganized brides he probably had. With working two offices and trying to plan a wedding a lot of small details I missed. Nik and I also couldn't decide on certain songs, and with the suggestions from groomsman and James VAST music list. Yes, the day of he had songs for us. YUP, the DAY OF. I literally did not have an exit song, or a entrance song (for dinner) until that day. James also took control of the reception, making sure things were on time and schedule. He also went over everybody's name to say them correctly, when we entered the ballroom. Prior to our wedding my hubs wasn't too keen on games, even though I felt we had to have some entertainment. He finally agreed to a few, one being HE IS/SHE IS, and a scavenger hunt game. He thought the scavenger one would be too messy and busy. And on top of that we had a ton of kids (who James worked with very well!) Well, all I can say is it was super entertaining, James worked the the crowd, including giving one of our kids and extra chance when my aunt (who knew) because super competitive and beat her! LOL. We were all laughing and enjoying and Nik was the first to say he was so glad we added in the game, and that James did a great job. Of course the night continued with our garter toss (which my little nephew won) and which James had a great convo with in front of everyone. The kids loved his music for the dance floor, and all young and old alike came to dance. JAMES also provided us with uplighting, and he also threw in some extra for us. It was beautiful, and he was great. He is also very attentive, and replies quickly. And no question is too dumb, or repetitive. Make sure you provide dinner for him (it keeps him energized ^^") and honestly thats just a nice thing to do, after all he is there all day! James was at our wedding preparing from 2pm until midnight cleaning. I will even end this with a note that one of my good friends is also a DJ, but we had asked him to attend as a guests. And he went to introduce himself to James, and he even stopped by to tell me my DJ choice was great. Thats coming from another professional in the same field... so I feel thats a great compliment on how awesome James is. This is a long review, but in all honestly good service deserves recognition. For such a big event in our life I am so glad we had such a wonderful person to work with. I would suggest him to any couple who needs guidance with making their wedding fun for all ages (FYI: I had kids as young as 2-12 running around plus Asian seniors) who ended up dancing, playing games, having fun. Thats saying a lot when your person can pull that together. Thank you James for the best service ever! 100% recommend, book early don't miss the chance of having him take care of your special day!

Sent on 03/20/2019
    All The Above Events 5

Jennifer Lee 路 Married on 03/02/2019

Best choice I鈥檝e ever made!

James was cordial, organized, efficient, understanding, and best of all, fun! We could not have asked for a more perfect wedding. 100% recommend without a doubt!

Sent on 03/20/2019
  • Brian

Brian Park 路 Married on 12/09/2018

James offer A+++ service! Highly recommended!!

I was referred to James from a friend who had used him for his wedding. With my uber busy schedule, he was extremely flexible and quick to my often delayed responses.

On the day of the event, he put together an awesome playlist of requested and recommended songs. Most importantly, he was able to 'feel out' my wedding crowd making sure the music kept everyone in a fantastic mood.

What I also like about James was his willingness to go with the flow. He supported us when we started moving around the chain of events that day. He never showed any frustration and made the changes seamless.

Would empathically recommend him for any event requiring emceeing and/or music.

Thanks James!

Sent on 01/01/2019

Rich Woo 路 Married on 10/27/2018

Must use, such a great DJ!

I talked to a couple wedding DJs before choosing to work with James. Our initial planning conversation was helpful and I was hopeful that he could deliver on a great experience. He not only came through with an amazing set of music, but we had so many compliments on how awesome the music and snacking was. James really struck the right balance between listening to our suggestions and also adding in things the audience would like. He also understood what the crowd wanted (ie. When everybody was dancing and into the music he didn鈥檛 throw in a random slow song like most DJs do to unintentionally kill the vibe). Thank you James, what a memorable night!

Sent on 12/05/2018

Michael Romero 路 Married on 09/29/2018

Incredible dj

James is incredibly professional, excellent dj who got the wedding party jumping, and felt the pulse of the crowd and kept the party going strong. He was very easy to communicate with and understood our vision of what we wanted.

Sent on 10/29/2018

Teale 路 Married on 08/11/2018

Awesome & Professional Wedding DJ

We hired James as our wedding DJ after he did my best friend鈥檚 wedding. There was NO DOUBT in our mind that he would do an excellent job at ours too..and he did! He is very professional, flexible and knows what he鈥檚 doing. He鈥檚 also very thoughtful. For example, he asked me minutes before if I wanted to split my mother/son dance with my step mom. It was a great idea and I鈥檓 so glad I did. We highly recommend James!

Dave & Teale

Sent on 10/19/2018

tim 路 Married on 06/16/2018

James hosted our wedding this past June in Malibu. He did an amazing job and was extremely professional throughout the entire process. A couple weeks before the event he even met us up and walked through everything. The day of he did a great job hosting and making sure the music was on point. I don't usually write yelp reviews but I did because James is great. He also DJ'ed my buddies wedding and he had a great feedback as well.

Sent on 07/02/2018

Sophia 路 Married on 05/26/2018

Wedding planning is already so hectic as it is, but working with James was totally stress-free. He's super easy-going and responsive. After just one phone chat with James, we could tell he's a pro at what he does. We immediately jumped on booking him as our wedding DJ/MC!

On the big day, James did a phenomenal job staying on track with our timeline. The flow of the evening was seamless and his music cues were spot on. It's obvious he's very comfortable behind the mic. He interacted with everyone really well without being invasive or too cheesy like I鈥檝e seen with other MCs. James was also very considerate and detail-oriented. He double-checked with the wedding party to make sure he was pronouncing their names correctly for the grand entrance. My now in-laws also mentioned how they really appreciated something as little as James doing a small bow as a sign of respect while he handed them the mic for the parent's speech.

All in all, James made it a fun and special day for our guests. He played everything we wanted him to and we all had a great time!

Sent on 06/18/2018

Li 路 Married on 05/20/2018

It was such a joy working with James! I'm so happy to have him on my big day. Honestly he was the only vendor that I didn't meet in person before booking, and I didn't meet until the day of. Why? Because it wasn't necessary. The first time James asked if he can have 10 minutes of my time on the phone, I knew he can do a good job. He nailed that 10 mins! He was always available when I have questions. He worked really hard to get everyone's name pronounced right (trust me some of those names were difficult), and I also have a lot of Chinese songs sent to him in MP3. He listened to all of them. He provided me a list of fun wedding games, and I picked one to prepare. We didn't end up playing that game but it was good knowing we have something if people get bored.

On the day of, he arrived so early to set everything up, by himself. And he stayed until the very end. Everybody had fun dancing and partying! I'm not getting married again but I'd definitely like to work with James again on something else!

Sent on 06/06/2018
    All The Above Events 6
    All The Above Events 7
    All The Above Events 8

Benjamin 路 Married on 05/19/2018

We had heard about James from a colleague when researching DJ/MC for our wedding and only heard great things. We reached out to James and from the initial point of contact it was nothing but amazing and efficient. For those that are planning a wedding, there are enough things to think about. If you hire James, this is one worry off of your list. He was very easy to work with providing detailed information that was required from us and giving us ideas on how to structure our ceremony/reception songs if need be. If we had any thoughts ourselves, he walked us through the make sure that we weren't missing anything. In the build up towards the wedding, he was EXTREMELY organized and that was much appreciated! During the reception, he was great with our guests as well. We had guests come up to us asking how long we've known the MC/DJ because they thought we had known him for years the way he integrated himself so well into our wedding (in a very good way). I wholeheartedly recommend James to anyone that wants to eliminate this potential stress from their wedding equation.

Sent on 07/12/2018

J&M 路 Married on 12/03/2017

James was very helpful and professional. He helped us coordinate our ceremony so that there were enough microphones for all parts and he was quick to respond in emails. We got many comments from guests and family about what an organized and efficient MC he was, keeping the night running smoothly and on time. Would highly recommend. Thanks, All The Above Events!

Sent on 12/12/2017

Charles 路 Married on 10/14/2017

James provided excellent service and is very accommodating. He worked with us to provide great songs for the refreshment hour and reception. He provided us with a slightly slowed down version of our first dance song which made the song's pace perfect for our dance. He stayed for the entire reception and continued playing music until the dance floor was being removed! He worked with us to make sure he had pronunciation of all the names correct and he understood the style that we preferred. He worked closely with our Wedding Coordinator to develop a timeline for the rehearsal and kept things moving at a nice pace. We were very pleased with his service.

Sent on 11/21/2017

Lucy 路 Married on 09/16/2017

James was amazing to work with and we made the right decision for our wedding! From the very beginning he was very responsive, on time, professional and very personable. He was so easy to work with and knew exactly what he was doing! He did everything we asked and the uplighting color we requested turned out perfect. He kept the party going and was so great with all our guests. We appreciate all this hard work. You cannot go wrong with having James at your event!

Sent on 09/23/2017

Jennifer 路 Married on 09/09/2017

My friend Caleb introduced us to James (DJ Jounce) and we鈥檙e so glad we had James to DJ at our wedding. James is professional, kind, and fun. From the start, he was very responsive to our email and we had our phone meeting right away. James sent us a spreadsheet so we can provide our music preferences for ceremony, cocktail hour, etc. We wrote something funny like 鈥減lease no certain type of music鈥 and he met our request. He made sure that the music fit our tastes and understood how to read the crowd and the mood well. James is also hip and young therefore accepts Venmo payments. He was able to also bring all of the audio equipment required.

My utmost respect for James was when one of our guests was drunk and gestured James to do something for us, yet James smiled and politely when along with it. I am definitely recommending James to my single friends for their future wedding.

James was easy to work with and James got everyone to dance. We received so many comments from family members and friends such as 鈥淚鈥檝e never seen _____ dance before!鈥

Sent on 09/24/2017

Jane 路 Married on 05/13/2017

James was without a doubt, the best choice we could have made for a DJ for our wedding. He was incredibly organized and professional. Wedding planning can get kind of hectic and James made sure that he had everything he needed on his end and continuously kept in contact with us to make sure everything was going smoothly. He was so prompt in his responses and in every interaction, it was clear that he wanted us to feel comfortable and happy. The wedding coordinator at our hotel had doubts that people would stay past midnight but with James's music, our dance floor was full until 1 am. He even helped my bridesmaids with a surprise projector and slideshow, he did a soundcheck with my father who wanted to play his saxophone, he played test runs for my husband and I to practice our first dance, and the entire time he was so calm and patient and reminded us that it was our day. My husband and I felt incredibly blessed that we had such an amazing DJ. A lot of times, people don't put a lot of thought into who their DJ is but for us, it set the tone for throwing the most amazing event of our lives. Thank you so much James!

Sent on 06/05/2017

Raquel 路 Married on 04/21/2017

We are incredibly happy that James from All the Above Events was our DJ/MC for our wedding in April 2017. We interviewed several DJs and had trouble finding one that was not looking to up sell and really took an interest in what feel we were looking for for our ceremony and reception. After filling out a few short templates I felt like James really understood what genres we wanted for the various aspects of our wedding day. He chose a great mix of genres and styles that our guests really enjoyed. He was very accommodating to our special requests and those of our guests. He avoided anything on the "do not play" list and actually played everything on our wish list at some point during the evening. He did a great job of reading the energy of the crowd and transitioning gradually to more "club" type music later in the night (per our request). The dance floor was packed the entire night and we got many compliments on the entertainment! Additionally, James is a great MC for a wedding. He had great charisma and helped transition through various parts of the night seamlessly (parent dances, toasts, cake cutting). We highly recommend All the Above Events!

Sent on 05/23/2017

Kirstie 路 Married on 12/28/2016

James is the BEST and sweetest person to work with! Not only is he extremely professional, he is VERY good at what he does. We had an extremely diverse crowd at our wedding including Koreans and Brazilians, and James was extremely accommodating to all our requests. We didn't give James too much to work with in the beginning, but his music selection kept everyone on the dance floor all night! He was worth every single penny and we HIGHLY recommend him for any event. We are so happy and blessed to have had James be our DJ for our wedding day. If we could rate any higher, we SOO would :) Our only regret is that we weren't able to take a photo with him :(

THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH!!

Sent on 12/31/2016

Angela 路 Married on 09/03/2016

Music was huge for my husband and me when we were planning our wedding. Our friends had high expectations and we knew we couldn't disappoint. James was the second vendor we booked and easily the best decision we made. He made the whole day flow perfectly. James was so responsive and professional from the beginning and I always felt less stressed after talking to him. James nailed every song request we had, but what really sealed the deal for us was when he started dropping his mashups and remixes. Everyone loved it!

After a few conversation James knew exactly what my husband and I were going for and he killed it. We were afraid our parents and grandparents were going to think our music choices were too non-traditional, but for even weeks after, our parents couldn't stop raving about our DJ. He kept things flowing and got the crowd pumped up. He really set the tone for the night and exceeded all our expectations! Guests kept coming up to us throughout the night saying the music was on point, our dj was killing it, and a few even snagged his business card for their own wedding!

Go with James! You'll be so glad you did!

Sent on 09/19/2016

Molly 路 Married on 07/17/2016

James was incredible! I wasn't impressed by the Dj's that our wedding venue suggested. So I went to Yelp.... as I do with most crucially important decisions of my life. His perfect 5 star rating caught my attention. And let me tell you, his perfect 5 star rating is deserved. From the moment we contacted James, he was everything we hoped all of our other vendors would have been. He listened to what we wanted, he was attentive, and he just blew us away on our wedding day. My (now) husband and I are very laid back people. We wanted to trust our vendors to make the best decisions for our day and to just take care of it! We had too much to worry about to fret over what songs would be played throughout the whole evening and how our MC would conduct him or herself. We chose people that we trusted to take the reins and just do what they do best. James is one of those people. He was one of the few vendors we hired that really impressed us with his passion and professionalism. James has the gift of being a phenomenal MC AND Dj. You usually don't get both. He was not pretentious as I find most wedding Dj's to be... he was a true pro... all the while being completely endearing and lovely. We could not be happier that we chose James to be a part of the most memorable day of our lives (thus far). He is so obviously passionate about what he does. He has a genuine enthusiasm and evident desire to make your day as best as it can be. If I could give him more than 5 stars, I would! If I ever have another Dj worthy event, James is the only man I will accept. If he is unavailable, then my party will have to be rescheduled to a day where James IS available. (Mic drop)

Sent on 08/15/2016

Andrea 路 Married on 06/23/2016

James is the best DJ I have ever come across and a great master of ceremony! From start to finish, ceremony to reception, he exceeded our expectations to the fullest. He listened to every single one of my requests and insured that all of the small details were 100% to our satisfaction. Our friends and family are still buzzing about how amazing the music was and we would definitely recommend James to everyone we know!!!

Sent on 10/31/2015

Joed 路 Married on 06/04/2016

The best advice I can give couples is to do your homework when picking out your vendors. When you have good vendors/services, the wedding process is a lot smoother. With that said, DJ James, from All The Above Events, is an A+ DJ/MC. From the start of the process, James is as professional as they get. You have a variety of options with James, he is willing to meet in person to discuss and plan out your needs. You also do not feel any pressure when it comes to making your decision on which DJ service you want, he even recommends that you talk to other DJ's. Leading into the wedding date, all your questions are answered in a timely manner. You are provided a easy fill in timeline sheet to help you track how your wedding day is going to play out. When the day comes, James just tell you relax, have fun and he just takes over. The dance floor was never empty, he has great song selection and a good feel for the crowd. Clear, loud, booming voice to get people's attention and keep the party on track. Courteous and kind to all your guests. Top of the line sound, light and DJ equipment. Easy payment options. I chose James because I was impressed when he DJ my friends wedding. My wedding consist of 200+ guests, and all of my guests had high praises for him.

Sent on 06/07/2016