Akiyo hair and makeup Reviews

Rating 5.0 out of 5, 13 Reviews
View more information

• I
    Iris H. Married on 08/01/2021

Great hair and makeup experience

Akiyo did both hair and makeup for my wedding and she was amazing to work with. After showing her pictures of what I liked, she was able to adjust those pictures to what she thought would suit me best. I booked her before the pandemic, and even though we had to postpone the wedding a year, she was very responsive anytime I contacted her. On the day of the wedding, Akiyo brought an assistant and both of them were really efficient and did an amazing job. My bridesmaids and mother-in-law were all happy with their makeup and hair too. I would definitely recommend working with Akiyo - she is very talented and easy to work with!

Akiyo hair and makeup's reply:

Hi Iris! Thank you so much for the review! It was pleasure to work with you and your ladies! You are so beautiful and sweet! So easy to work with!
  • Elissa
    Elissa Married on 06/19/2021

Hair & Makeup that will last all night in humid 90 degree weather!!

Funny enough, I had experience getting my hair and makeup from Akiyo before my wedding day. She did the hair and makeup for my sister’s wedding a few years ago so I knew that her hair and makeup would last all day and all night AND look good. I was thrilled to find out that Akiyo was available for hair and makeup on my wedding day.

She was a dream to work with and I loved that during the entire process, she would listen carefully and adjust based on our preferences for hair and makeup, and make sure it worked for the texture of our hair or our skin tone. She really knows her makeup inside and out and was able to use that knowledge to make us look our very best and have it last all night.

It was a hot summer city wedding in a venue with no AC. My hair and makeup stayed intact the entire night. She was flexible with me adding more services as I got closer to the date and throughout the whole process. I would definitely book her again for any future events where I needed hair and makeup done.

Hi Elissa,
    Thank you so much for leaving a review! It was really great working with you and your family and I'm super honored to be part of your special day!! can't wait to have next opportunity to see you!!
    Katherine F. Married on 06/08/2021

Wedding Hair and Makeup with Akiyo

Akiyo did both my hair and makeup for my wedding and I could not have asked for a better, more personable, kind, and awesome hair and makeup artist. Before the trial, Akiyo asked me about my preferences and for inspiration photos and she replicated and incorporated a couple of styles I loved that suited my style, hair type, and skin type. For the trial, and the day of the wedding, I truly felt beautiful and I had a great time talking to and getting to know Akiyo and her team who also did a fantastic job with the wedding party. If you want braids, flowers in your hair, natural make-up, or anything else, Akiyo is certainly your go-to person! She is incredibly organized and communicates via e-mail and phone - I always knew what to expect and felt very comfortable from signing the contract to waving goodbye right before my first look! You'll be in great hands with Akiyo!

Akiyo hair and makeup's reply:

It was my pleasure to work with you and your group! I had so much fun with you!! Thank you for the review and hope to see you soon!!
    Rhiana N. Married on 05/28/2021

Akiyo is the BOMB!

I can’t say enough about Akiyo and how incredible she is. My original makeup artist for my wedding cancelled on me a month before my wedding and I was referred to Akiyo by my maid of honor. Akiyo was incredibly accommodating and so knowledgeable about what would work well for my skin type and my dress. I got her services for my mom and I and y’all, we looked effing INCREDIBLE. We went to her studio for our trial service and it is so cozy and comfortable. Akiyo makes sure that whatever vision you have in mind is recreated on your face almost exactly. I looked better than any of the reference pictures I brought! The day of I felt so incredibly beautiful. It was my mother’s first time ever having professional makeup done for a special event; she was over the moon with how she looked! The makeup not only stayed on our faces the whole night, but the products Akiyo used were so light and airy that neither of us felt like we had anything caked on our skin. On top of that, I didn’t need a single touch up - the longevity of my face was unreal. By the end of the night I still looked so fresh. She offers the option to buy mink lashes ahead of the wedding which I would seriously advise purchasing - those lashes won’t move a nanometer once Akiyo gets them on, and you can’t even feel them. I can’t gush enough about Akiyo, I have spread her reference to anybody that will listen to me. I hope y’all listen to me too, she’s the bomb!!

Akiyo hair and makeup's reply:

Thank you so having me!! I really enjoyed working with you and your mom!
    It was really fun to talk with you too. You are so beautiful and stunning!!
  • Kristen
    Kristen C. Married on 09/12/2020

Great experience for Wedding

Akiyo did an amazing job with my hair and makeup and with my bridesmaids. As someone who doesn't wear a lot of makeup ever, the makeup looked natural and glamorous! She was even mindful to make sure I was comfortable with the fake eyelashes! Her pricing is reasonable and she was easy to book for the trial. I would definitely hire her again and would recommend her for any bride!

Akiyo hair and makeup's reply:

Thank you for having us!! It was really fun and pleasure to work with you! You are the coolest and beautiful bride!
  • Lina
    Paulina Z. Married on 08/29/2020

A wonderful and meticulous hair and makeup artist

I booked Akiyo for my wedding hair and makeup after searching for an artist who could work well with Asian hair and facial features. I'm not a huge hair and makeup person so it was so great to be able to find an artist who made me feel special, without being overly done.

After several not-so-great trials with many other artists, I was very happy with Akiyo. Even before my trial, we had extensive communication about my normal hair and makeup preferences and she made sure to incorporate my preferences in my final look. She was very careful about my look and our trial was several hours long because of her meticulousness and frequent adjustments to make sure that I was 100% happy and comfortable with my look. She was also extremely easy to work with; we chatted a lot about her hobbies (including surfing) and she was not judgmental at all about my beauty preferences.

Unfortunately because of the pandemic, my wedding has now been cancelled. Akiyo has also been very accommodating and easy to communicate with. I will be using Akiyo's services for any future events that I have. Definitely recommend!
    Visalia W. Married on 07/18/2020

Made my day extra special!

I got married last year during COVID and even though it was a small and intimate wedding, Akiyo and her team made it extra special. My sister, two moms, and myself got our hair and makeup done. Akiyo was so meticulous with my makeup and hair. I only had a general idea of what I wanted (something natural, but still glam), but I didn't expect Akiyo to deliver it so perfectly! I was really happy with the results. My makeup stayed on perfectly on that sunny day of July. They were very professional, punctual, and kind.

Akiyo hair and makeup's reply:

Thank you for the review!! It was great working with you!! I'm so glad that I and my team could be part of your big day! I hope to see you again in near future!!
    Morgan Married on 06/13/2020

Akiyo is a true professional

Akiyo did hair and makeup for me and my mother for my wedding. Akiyo was excellent from initial contact, to hair and makeup trial, to the day-of experience. Her communication was prompt, she was responsive to my comments, and she made me feel at ease.

I highly recommend getting a trial for hair and makeup before the day-of. I went to her Brooklyn apartment, which was very comfortable and professional. I did not bring in a photo, and do not usually wear makeup, but Akiyo understood my preferences and created a look that was breathtaking.

On the day of the wedding, she was arrived on time with everything she needed, and worked with the photographer and videographer for cool getting-ready shots. She also understood my mother (who does not speak perfect English) and made her look amazing too.

Akiyo is also an accomplished surfer, snowboarder and rock climber. I met her through climbing and it was great to talk to about our shared interests on a stressful day.

Akiyo hair and makeup's reply:

Hi Morgan! Thank you for your review! You are so fun and easy to work with! I'm so honored to be part of your big day!!
    Christine C. Married on 06/30/2019

The best you’ll ever have!

She is amazing and easy to work with. She is detail oriented and will spend the time to make you feel like a princess. I did not feel rushed throughout my trial and the day of the wedding. She made my mom and my maid of honor look their best! I highly recommend her for your wedding day!
    Mai K. Married on 07/07/2017

Loved my hair and makeup!

Akiyo is an amazing hair and makeup artist! She did my hair and makeup for my wedding and I could not have been any happier. She was extremely flexible, accommodating and easy to get along with. She did my hair and makeup exactly how I wanted. She went back and fixed and made sure I felt comfortable with everything she was doing. Everyone still compliments me on how cool my hair was, even my husband loved it. Thank you Akiyo for helping me have amazing memories and making me feel and look spectacular on my wedding day!!
    J Married on 11/12/2016

Very pleased

I'm lucky to have booked Akiyo less than two months before my wedding. With Asian features, I've never been able to apply makeup well on myself (eyeliner smudges between my creases and transfers below my eyes). I didn't trust other artists for fear that they'd make me look like a clown.

During the trial, Akiyo understood that I wanted a natural look. She gave me several updos before I landed on a style. After seeing her work, I immediately knew that I wanted to book her.

On the wedding day, she came 15 minutes early (I think it was 5:45 AM??). She made me look even better than the trial. I didn't even have to reapply lip color or blot my face. My husband was smitten, and the compliments didn't stop all day. The only issue I had was that one false eyelash got a little loose in the corner (I suspect it was due to my hooded eyelid), but I pushed it back onto my eye and managed fine in my 9-hour day. My hair is slippery and heavy, but my updo didn't budge. Akiyo also turned my matron of honor's bob into an updo!

Akiyo's pricing is fair for a New York-based artist. She includes airbrush and false eyelashes (typically a surcharge). My venue was two hours away from her home, and the travel fee was only the tolls. Most other artists would have charged a couple hundred more or required a hotel room.

Communication with Akiyo is great. She is reliable and responds to messages in a timely manner. She also does well when you show her pictures of styles you like. The pictures in her portfolio are only a small sampling of what she can do!
    Lily P. Married on 05/21/2016

Super Talented & Super Sweet Makeup Artist

I was in the process of looking for a hair & makeup artist for my wedding day and am so grateful that I came across Akiyo. Not only is she a talented and amazing makeup artist, she's also super sweet and fun to work it. She made the whole process easy for me and was very punctual and professional throughout the entire time. I booked her for both a makeup trial and wedding day hair & makeup and I'm so glad I did.

Akiyo was very responsive and flexible when I was scheduling for my makeup trial appointment and was even willing to travel all the way to Brooklyn for me. A lot of other makeup artists that my friends have used for their big day rushed through the makeup trial part, But not Akiyo. She took her time in perfecting my makeup and hair to how I wanted it as if it was my actual wedding day and made sure I liked the end result. Akiyo went above and beyond just for my makeup trial, so I knew what to expect for my big day.

Akiyo exceeded my expectations on the day of my wedding. She was at the venue about half an hour earlier than expected just to set up and did such an incredible job on my makeup. I told her I wanted to look glam but at the same time still look like me, so more on the natural side but not. If you ladies know what I mean. Akiyo totally nailed it. My makeup was so beautiful and "natural looking" that I couldn't stop beaming. All my bridesmaids loved my makeup and everyone at the venue was complimenting me. Akiyo did a really amazing job on bringing out my "Asian eyes" and the makeup lasted pretty well the entire night with just one touchup.

So to sum up everything, I highly recommend Akiyo to any brides-to-be and/or anyone looking for a hair & makeup artist. I cannot say enough good things about her. She is super talented and so easy going that you will not regret booking her!
  • Y
    Yuriko S. Married on 05/23/2015

I loved her work!

She’s an amazing hair & makeup artist. I'm glad I was able to find her for my wedding. I showed her a few hairstyle options that I like and she nailed it. For my makeup, she asked questions at my trial to make sure she understood what styles I'd be interested in and also gave me advice on what we should consider if the wedding would be taking place outside and if the weather would be good or bad. I love how detailed she is as well. I'd suggest her if you are looking for a fantastic hair stylist. You won't regret it!