Affordable Affairs Gourmet Catering Reviews

54 | San Diego, CA

54 Reviews for Affordable Affairs Gourmet Catering

Kelly R. · Married on 01/23/2021

Flexibility without compromising Quality

David is an attentive and knowledgeable caterer. We started talking to him during the Red period of Covid and continued to work with him through Purple and Worse than Purple (100% occupancy in ICUs). Throughout the process David was quick to respond to the changes and to be respectful of our needs while watching laws and government guidelines. With each change he gave us new ideas and new quotes that were within our budget but offered truly elegant food to our wedding guests at very reasonable prices. Although we never got to taste the food due to the complete shut down, we will certainly look to Affordable Affairs Gourmet Catering for our future needs.
    ~The Rogers, San Diego

Sent on 12/24/2020

Danie L. · Married on 09/26/2020

Beyond exceptional in all aspects

David, the owner and ring master behind Affordable Affairs, is a true expert in his craft. When Kelly and I had to find a caterer at a moment's notice, we somehow lucked upon a recommendation from a mutual acquaintance (his main bar tender Joe) and landed with David. The tasting was great! As was the main dinner service. For us, he handled the food, waitstaff, bar tender, linens, glasses, utensils, plates, and all seemingly endless aspects between. Normally this would be great, but add the difficulties and changing environment due to COVID restrictions, and David's drive to have a perfect dinner outshines even more.
    Our food was phenomenal. My wife and I even raved at home how good the leftovers were days later when the Chicken was still juicy (not dry) and flavorful. David knows his Italian dishes and knocks it out of the park.
    All our guests mentioned how good the food was, how happy they were with the bar service, and how perfect everything went during dinner service. We are very pleased to have used Affordable Affairs and will definitely be using David's services again for any future events.
    If you're looking for a no bull expert who's read to work for you to deliver a great dinner experience, look no further!

Sent on 10/20/2020
  • Sydney

Sydney · Married on 11/25/2019

Hiring Affordable Affairs was a GAMECHANGER

This is THE BEST and most affordable catering you can hire in San Diego. My husband and I went to various bridal events and did individual tastings will all our top caters, and Affordable Affairs had no competition. David worked with us to make the perfect menu that our guests STILL talk about. He has a way of customer service, communication, and execution that is beyond anything we saw elsewhere. We are SO happy we hired him for our wedding catering, and we could not recommend him and his staff more! For any foodie looking for a caterer, Affordable Affairs is by far the best option!

Sent on 01/06/2020
  • Lisette

Lisette P. · Married on 11/09/2019

10/10 experience !

We had seen Affordable Affairs Catering on several of the venues catering lists, and heard great things about them. After contacting them, they sent us a proposal. The prices were reasonable and included a lot! We scheduled a tasting with Affordable Affairs Catering and met with the owner David. He was very accommodating and served a variety of appetizers, dinner selections, and desserts The food was excellent and David made the experience so much easier.
    When our Wedding Day arrived, the food was as good as it was at the tasting and his staff gave us top notch service. Our guests were raving about the Good Fellows Chicken, and the Top Sirloin Roast were cooked perfect! I highly recommend Affordable Affairs Catering. Our big day was as special as I hoped it would be because of them.

Sent on 12/31/2019
  • Matt

Matt W. · Married on 10/11/2019

Guests were impressed!

Highly satisfied! All my guests had nothing but nice things to say! I only wish that I had been able to eat more of the food (they warned me that you won't be able to eat at your own wedding, and they weren't kidding...)!

Sent on 12/30/2019

Krista N. · Married on 08/03/2019

Their food is absolutely delicious!

All of our guests at our wedding were really happy with the catering. Everyone said that the chicken was delicious along with all the other food. David was a pleasure to work with and made our wedding day even more special with his amazing food and staff. I would highly recommend Affordable Affairs Catering for any event. Thank you!

Sent on 08/09/2019
  • Deborah

Deborah M. · Married on 07/11/2019

Great to work with!

David and his team are amazing! He was hands down the easiest, kindest and most flexible vendor we worked with. His team took care of everything! From the appetizers, dinner, dessert and bar. We even had some extra things we asked of him last minute and he took care of it all. I would highly recommend Affordable Affairs!

Sent on 12/13/2019

Michelle · Married on 05/25/2019

Bill Gates didn't have a better vendor at his wedding

I wasn't at Bill Gates wedding, but I know that his caterer couldn't outdo David. David was incredibly kind. Went over and above to help us feel good, gave us a discount because he could tell that was my biggest concern, and was 100% first class quality in every regard. Cannot express enough how great David was. Oh yeah, and was the food good? You better believe it. Got numerous compliments about the food. It was delicious and everything was perfect. David is a saint and really would do anything for you is how I felt. Can't recommend enough.

Sent on 12/31/2019

Lenny G. · Married on 11/30/2018

Loved the service and the food

David and his team were great, i had a small party, family and friends loved the food, bartender also great. You will be very happy if you hire David.

Jocelyn · Married on 11/01/2018

Affordable, Reliable, Tasty

David and his team catered and bartended at my wedding on Dec. 1st 2018. From the first appointment with David, he was respectful, straightforward, organized, and professional. The food is great and he is easy to work with. His staff is also great and well dressed for the occasion. I highly recommend working with David.

Sent on 12/24/2018

Patricia · Married on 10/28/2018

David the owner, is a true professional, he went over the top to make our tasting and presentation in his new facility excellent. Everything tasted wonderful and looked beautiful too! The options for linens were beautifully displayed along with so many photos on the gallery walls. Great place to plan and see how your special day would look. Thank David for making the day so special... You deserve 10 stars! All the best Pat Dunlap

Sent on 06/26/2018

Melyssa A. · Married on 09/23/2018

Effortless and Delicious

I Had My wedding reception In September at the Thursday Club In point Loma.
    We had seen Affordable Affairs Catering on several venue lists as we were searching locations.
    After contacting them I had received a proposal, and everything seemed to be reasonable within our moderate budget needs.
    We really liked that he offered a complete package including most of our catering needs, as well as providing their own bar and bartending services.
    After meeting with David at his showroom and tasting his food (which was amazing) the cranberry chicken salad was my absolute favorite I wish I could have a tub of that at all times! We felt comfortable in proceeding.
    When our wedding day finally arrived everything went perfectly from start to finish!
    Thank-you Very Much to David and the Affordable Affairs Catering Staff for making our big day special and just absolutely effortless for myself and husband cheers!

Alexis · Married on 09/01/2018

My awesome wedding day!

David and his staff at Affordable Affairs Catering were Awesome! Very professional and accommodating met every expectation and more! My guests raved about the food, We had a carving station of Top Sirloin Roast and the meat was cooked to perfection, We also selected the good fellows chicken scampi which was tender and filled with flavor. My mother was very impressed as David really went out of his way to make sure my wedding day went perfect! David and his crew really know what they're doing. Definitely would recommend!

Tiffany · Married on 05/25/2018

We had our first and only tasting with Affordable Affairs and booked right away! Chicken is usually thought of as a boring dish - but they turn chicken into food that your guests will rave about! We selected a plated buffet - including salad, vegetable dish, wild rice, some really amazing alla rose pasta, and more. We received soooo many compliments on the food including the cocktail hour appetizers. Their prices may be more "affordable" but their food is not cheap! David and his team are really top notch!

Sent on 05/31/2018

Christiane · Married on 11/18/2017

My husband and I heard about Affordable Affairs from our venue and decided to schedule a food tasting. David was very professional and the food, as well as the price, was amazing! Once we hired him, up until the time of our wedding day, David was very easy to work with and was always easy to reach whenever we had any questions or changes we needed to make with the menu. When the big day finally came, the food was delicious and even better then when we had initially tasted it. During reception, many guests approached us raving about the food! I would recommend Affordable Affairs to anyone who needs catering services for any event.

Sent on 11/21/2017

Heather · Married on 11/04/2017

David was great, and his team was great! I booked them for my wedding and everyone loved the food and went back for seconds. The chicken is amazing, I dont know how he does it but none of those chicken was dry or rubber, they were perfectly cooked. he had everything we needed and did it all with great professionalism. I recommend them for any event.

Sent on 11/13/2017
  • Melissa

Melissa · Married on 10/07/2017

We LOVED David and his amazing food. He was the first caterer we met with for our wedding and we didn't bother meeting with anyone else. The quality of the food for the price was exceptional. The appetizers were fantastic! We chose Chicken Picatta and added a Top Sirloin Roast carving station for our main course and were extremely happy with both. David was flexible and able to meet all of the dietary restrictions that some of our guests had. He gave us the option to add a dessert bar that allowed us to get a smaller cake and our guests to have options when it came to dessert. He also provided us with a bartender to serve our own assortment of alcohol. His servers were prompt and it felt like the buffet was able to move quickly even with 150 guests in attendance. We were brought dinner to our seats by wait staff and didn't have to go through the buffet with everyone else which actually allowed us time to eat while everyone else was getting their food.

100% recommend David and Affordable Affairs Catering.

Sent on 10/21/2017

Leanne · Married on 09/15/2017

David was great to work with and definitely knew what he was doing. My fiance and I met with him for tasting and all the food was delicious. After we were finished with dinner he asked what my plan was as far as dessert. I wasn't 100% sure what I was going to do aside from a smaller cake, but thought I would just get a bunch of different desserts for the guests but provide them myself. He told me he and his team started doing assorted desserts. For the price he offered us I couldn't resist, plus it would be one less thing for me to do since I had to get all outside vendors and had no wedding planner. On the day of our wedding the food was out and ready (buffet style) on time. David personally came to my husband and I and asked if we would like to go through the buffet line first or be served. Within a couple of minutes of being seated his team came to us with a warm plate of food. It was such great service throughout the entire night, and they really took care of us and our guests. We did go with the full catering service and was well worth the extra money. I highly suggest working with David and his team. It made my entire wedding experience a lot less stressful.

Sent on 10/19/2017

Carlos · Married on 09/02/2017

Affordable Affairs catered our wedding on September 2nd, 2017 (@San Diego Women's Club.. now Parq West Venue) and I could not be more pleased! The tasting was amazing and we felt like we were immediately amongst friends. We wanted a combination of appetizers and entrees to choose from and we definitely got several options to choose from.The presentation was excellent and appealing. All of the guest kept mentioning how delicious the food was and also how professional the staff was. Since we didn't have a wedding planner due to budget reasons it was a great relief to have someone like David managing the catering side of it as well as the bartending service which is a plus. In comparison to other catering vendors and vendors in general, the response time and detailed answers or suggestions were amazing and gave me peace of mind. David is also really reasonable when it comes to pricing and suggesting ideas for the number of people for the event, which helped us saved some money as well. David was also great at communicating ahead of time with other vendors such as the DJ and venue manager to ensure that everything came out as planned. David is awesome at what he does and provides a truly unique service and experience.
    We would recommend this company to anyone!!

P.S. You can't go wrong with the Goodfellas Chicken Scampi and Mini Meatballs Crostini (Guest's Favorites)

Sent on 10/18/2017

Diana · Married on 07/30/2017

David was amazing from the beginning to the end! I had to plan the wedding from Ohio when it was being hosted in San Diego and David was available when it was the best time for me! He was very flexible letting my in laws do the food tasting and once the day came....omg was was delicious. We were a bit behind in the schedule and David kept in contact with us through the day to make sure everything ran smoothly for us. David was professional as well as very friendly and the food was delicious!

Sent on 08/16/2017

Barbara · event on: 08/20/2016

Affordable Catering was very accommodating and a pleasure to work with. Our guests were happy with the food and cleanup was complete. Thank you so much for helping to make our event a success!

Sent on 08/24/2016

Nicolle · Married on 04/23/2016

From beginning to end, my now-husband and I were so thankful we booked Affordable Affairs. We were planning a wedding from across the country in Florida, so it was crucial that the vendors we worked with were responsive and flexible. David got back to our inquiry emails immediately, and made doing business over the phone and email easy and quick. When we made it out to San Diego to do our tasting, we couldn't believe how delicious the food was at our tasting. Not only that, but David was so professional and had fantastic menu suggestions, and tips on how to set up the reception venue we were in (he had catered many weddings there before and his advice was extremely helpful). Their bartending and food service on the day of our wedding was wonderful, and we got so many compliments on the food from our guests. We couldn't be happier, and did we mention how affordable the price was? Affordable Affairs made me a very happy bride.

Sent on 05/10/2016

Top Notch Service

As a wedding coordinator Affordable Affairs was a pleasure to work with. They were able to create a creative brunch menu for my clients morning wedding as well as speciality breakfast cocktails. The service the staff provided was top notch and they were on top of everything all at the exact right time. You can tell the staff has worked together a long time and the smooth service was a testament to that. David was easy to work with, and all in all I would recommend Affordable Affairs to my future clients!

Sent on 12/12/2019

Sue · event on: 02/11/2016

A huge thank you to David and his team!! David has now catered two events for me, both with the guest counts in the hundreds and has more than exceeded my expectations both times!! His staff his friendly, neat and very attentive. They all seemed to just always be in the right place at the right time and really took really good care of everyone. The set up was quick and the table displays were beautiful.

Now lets talk about the food...AMAZING! Both times I have used him I heard over and over from our guests about how awesome the food is The presentation is always gorgeous, everything is vibrant and fresh. He offers a really delicious and unique buffet. Absolutely everything was delicious. I am beyond pleased with his service, staff and especially his food. David, you are awesome!! Thank you!

Sent on 02/22/2016

Deborah · event on: 12/15/2015

Great food & service will use them again

Sent on 12/30/2015