A-List Makeup Reviews

A-List Makeup 7
  • Irene

Irene Chen · Married on 05/18/2019

Ngan Bui was amazing!

Ngan Bui did my hair and makeup on my wedding day, and she was amazing! She was friendly, responsive, and professional, and most importantly, she made me look and feel beautiful.

I reached out to A-List Makeup via the form on their website about seven months before the wedding. After filling out the form, individual artists reached out to me with their pricing and portfolio links. It was a little overwhelming to communicate with so many artists at once, but it was nice that they were the ones reaching out to me.

In the end, I'm so happy that I decided to go with Ngan -- you won't regret it! We did a trial two weeks before the wedding where we had more time to talk through my makeup and hair preferences. She was so sweet, and she fulfilled my request of natural makeup with a little bit of glam. I was especially impressed with how my hair turned out, since I wanted a soft, romantic updo, but my hair is very thick, straight, and slippery, and usually does not hold a curl well.

On the wedding day itself, Ngan arrived at my getting ready location with everything that she needed, including a makeup chair and a small Bluetooth speaker for music. Although we both had an idea of what I wanted already based on the trial, we still took the whole three hours to get ready; Ngan took extra care to make my look perfect. I received many compliments on my look throughout the evening, and it held up well after eight hours, even through the rain.

Ngan was awesome, and I can't wait to book her again for other events in the future :)

Sent on 05/25/2019
  • Eileen

Eileen · Married on 03/23/2019

Beautiful wedding makeup by Lan Diep :)!

Adding another 5 star review for A-List :)!

Lan Diep did my makeup, and Jaylyn assisted with hair and makeup for my bridesmaids. Lan was so sweet and patient with me. I'm not used to wearing a lot of makeup and Lan helped reassure me about what would look good on me. She provided flawless color match foundation, selected the perfect length false eyelashes, and filled in my brows beautifully. My makeup looked natural and enhanced my features. The makeup also lasted all day and photographed beautifully.

I cannot recommend Lan highly enough. Her prices were very reasonable and my photos speak for themselves!! Thank you, Lan!

Sent on 04/01/2019
    A-List Makeup 8
    A-List Makeup 9
    A-List Makeup 10
    A-List Makeup 11
    A-List Makeup 12

Rom · Married on 10/14/2018

One beaming bride!

Review for Nancee Pham. Thank you for making me look my best on my special day! You were knowledgeable with hair and makeup and it showed in your work. You were attentive and checked up on me regularly on how i was feeling when i was in the chair. You respectfully listened to my requests and gave me honest feedbacks. You offered suggestions to bring out more of my natural beauty. I loved my look - it was effortless and not overly done. You were so personable that i felt like it was a friend who was doing my makeup and not someone who i just hired. Thank you again for my gorgeous transformation!

Sent on 11/07/2018

Michelle · Married on 09/02/2018

A-list makeup made finding a makeup artist/hair stylist for my wedding very easy. Once you contact A-list with the date of your wedding and your beauty needs different makeup artists will contact you if they are available your wedding date and from there you can choose who you want. They are located in San Jose but do travel to other locations for a travel fee.
    Marilyn was one of the artists who was free for my wedding date and I am extremely happy she was the one who did my makeup and hair that day. I did do a makeup trial with her before my actual wedding day so that we could get an idea of what I liked and did not like. I didn’t opt for a hair trial since at the time I had not picked out my wedding dress yet and I was still uncertain of what I wanted to do for my hair. Marilyn is very sweet, patient, thorough, and detail oriented. During my makeup trial she was very patient, asking for my likes and dislikes. She would add something and ask whether I liked it or wanted to go in a different direction. Then when it came to do my makeup on my wedding day, she already had an idea and the process was easy! On my wedding day my makeup didn’t feel cakey or heavy, I forgot I was even wearing makeup. She gave me false eyelashes and normally I can tell when they are on, but she did such an impeccable job that they were not bothersome the entire night! For my hair I had shown her pictures of styles I liked and she was able to emulate it perfectly! I got so many compliments on my hair that evening!
    She is very professional and communicative. Whenever I had a question she responded to it promptly and was able to provide me advice on makeup or hair. I would definitely recommend her if you are looking for a makeup artist or hair stylist!

Sent on 09/26/2018

Brittany · Married on 09/01/2018

Amazing Hair & Makeup Artist!

Kat Tinney from A-List Makeup is amazing! She made me and my bridesmaids feel so beautiful on my wedding day! I loved all of our hair and makeup and it looked great in photographs. We were all so sad to have to take our makeup off! The trial was amazing and she came to my apartment which was so convenient. She listened to the look I was going for a made it even better than I could have imagined. On the day of the wedding, her and her team arrived early and finished early. She was so relaxed which I appreciated among the stress of wedding planning. I cannot say enough good things about Kat and her team and I would recommend her to all!

Sent on 10/28/2018

Marilyn · Married on 08/25/2018

Chau is amazing. She's the official makeup artist for our entire group of friends for every wedding and anything that involves professional photos (family photos, etc).

Chau is super sweet and personable, and she really spends a lot of time personalizing the makeup for you. She knew my skin type was oily, and she used a different base that worked amazingly all day. In addition, I have a little ptosis on one eye, and she used tape and different lashes on that eye to help balance out the two eyes, which was like magic!

With her staff, the pricing for bridesmaid makeup was very reasonable.

Chau is able to enhance all of your features while still having you look like yourself. She's a perfectionist, is so great to work with, and I would recommend her to any Asian bride!

Sent on 08/27/2018

Candace · Married on 07/06/2018

A review for Nancee Pham -
    Thank you for making me purty! Booking with Nancee was so easy and convenient, she was very communicative through the whole process leading up to my appointments. During my trial at the studio, she made sure I was comfortable with everything, from the heat on the blow dryer to glue on the lashes. She offered options during the trial so we could make fine tweaks for the following day. I had no doubts that A-List Makeup would deliver beautiful hair and makeup results (my sister and her best friend both used A-List for their weddings), but when sitting in a chair for 4+ hours between the trial and event, it definitely helps to have a nice conversation and thankfully Nancee was very easy to talk to which made the whole experience even better. Highly recommend and thanks again!

Sent on 07/15/2018
  • Judy

Judy · Married on 05/27/2018

Hair & Makeup for all bridal budgets!

I would highly recommend A-List Makeup for your bridal hair/makeup and bridal party hair/makeup! They can fit all budgets and you can choose from many artists.

This review for Jessie.

Jessie and her work is amazing! I was in search of bridal makeup for myself on A-List Makeup and found Jessie. I decided to go for a makeup trial for hair and makeup since I wanted to try a few different looks and make sure I was comfortable with the look for my wedding day. If you know exactly what you want, you can also skip the trial too.

For my trial, I told her that I wanted my wedding makeup to be "natural" but not too natural and still look like me. For my hair, I wanted a loose updo and I showed her some pictures for inspiration. Brides, make sure you also include some front-facing photos of what you want as well! I did not have any front-facing photos of hair styles, but good thing Jessie tried a few different ideas on me.

After my trial, I knew I wanted to work with Jessie and had to decide on which look I wanted to go with. From my trial up until my big day, I tweaked a bit of my hairstyle to fit more of what I wanted and Jessie said it would not be a problem :)

My wedding day makeup and hair came out amazing...I loved my hair and makeup so much! I felt like a million bucks and got a lot of compliments on my hair and makeup as well!

It was a warm day, and we had an outdoor wedding; however, my makeup lasted the whole day and night -- I just touched up my nose a bit (I tend to rub my nose a lot) and reapply my lipstick with the touch-up kit she provided.

Jessie is really sweet, fun, and makes sure you are taken care of. I also appreciate that she is easy to get in touch with (email, text, call), which made me feel at ease and I knew I could count on her.

Highly recommend!

Sent on 01/29/2019

Jennifer · Married on 05/05/2018

I loved my wedding hair and makeup by Trish!

She was wonderful to work with from the start. At our trial, she worked closely with me to get the exact look that I wanted. I wanted a very natural look for both the hair and makeup, yet still elegant and romantic.

She did an amazing job for my engagement shoot and wedding. I got so many compliments on my makeup—it really was the best I’ve ever looked! She was extremely professional and responsive. I ran different ideas by her for my makeup elements, and she always gave very prompt feedback. She also provided great ideas on how to style my hair with a clip.

Trish is super sweet and has a great energy, which was important to me for my wedding day. I will definitely see her again for my next photo shoot, and I highly recommend her to anyone looking for that perfect touch for their big day!

Sent on 06/11/2018
    A-List Makeup 13
    A-List Makeup 14
    A-List Makeup 15

Kelly · Married on 10/21/2017

Using A-list was super easy and reasonably priced for the Bay Area! I initially had a trial with a different company and did not like it, so about a month before my wedding I reached out to A-list. I was so lucky that Ashley Sun was available! She was prompt for the trial and as soon as she did my makeup and hair I knew she would be amazing. Natural and fresh makeup, creative solutions for my non-existent eyebrows, and wonderful volume to my flat thin hair. The makeup and hair looked even better on wedding day! To top it off, she is a great conversationalist and the time goes by quickly! The person she brought with her to do my bridal party VT was also very good and quick. Thank you Ashley and VT for making us all beautiful on my wedding day!

Sent on 10/26/2017

Graciela · Married on 07/15/2017

Kat Tinney and her two assistants did an amazing job!!! There were 12 of us total having hair, make up or both done and they got through us all without rushing and me and all my ladies looked fabulous. I highly recommend them!!!

Sent on 08/07/2017

Laura · Married on 08/20/2016

This review is for Hoang (Jessie). Jessie was an absolute gem! I love her so much, talking to her was like talking to a friend. I have very long, Asian, straight hair that is past my waist; and most hair places I turned to were afraid to do my hair. However, Jessie was up to the challenge! I wanted to have romantic curls and Jessie made it happen. She also helped do three of my bridesmaids hair and my mom's hair. Everyone was gorgeous. I felt so beautiful too!!!! I HIGHLY recommend Jessie, I am so happy she was a part of our special day!

Sent on 09/07/2016

Tiffany · Married on 07/03/2016

I feel extremely fortunate to have had Ann be my MUA for my big day. She did my hair and makeup for both my engagement session as well as for the wedding day. I wanted a look that wasn't going to make me look like a completely different person while also being a lot more dramatic than my regular day-to-day and Ann nailed it. She was able to come up with a look for me that I wouldn't have come up with on my own (and I LOVED it). She's a definite pro who knows what looks good on people and what doesn't. I also love that she's blunt/opinionated and isn't afraid to share her opinions with you. I trusted her so much that I only did a wedding makeup trial and knew she would be fine to do my hair!

Sent on 10/04/2016
  • User4920843 · 2+ years ago

Jessie was so responsive and professional. Love her work!

Sent on 01/06/2016

Helen · Married on 11/07/2015

This review is for Chau Nguyen. Chau did my wedding hair and makeup and she was absolutely amazing. Very detailed and went through the makeup step by step with me to make sure I was happy with everything. She also has a great personality and gave me an honest opinion on what we could do to look even better. I felt really happy and confident with my makeup / hair and pleased with the end results. I would absolutely recommend her to anyone who is looking for a hair and makeup person.

Sent on 11/12/2015

Let me start by saying that this is a group of skilled make up artists who are a part of a large group. When I submitted a request for information regarding services, I received a response within a day. There was one main contact and then as soon as I heard from the main contact, I received many emails from different make up artists. This can be overwhelming, but I thought it was nice to have several people contact me and then I could look at their individual websites, price ranges, and work. I decided to go with Chloe. She provides hair and make up. They have a wide range of prices for brides and bridal party. After doing a lot of research, I thought A list provided good service and skills for the amount you pay. My trial with Chloe was great. She is very attentive and is focused on what the bride wants. If you don't like something, she does not take offense to it and fixes it right away. She was flexible and did beautiful work. I will be updating my review once the wedding is over, but I'm sure I will be just as happy on the day of my wedding.

Sent on 06/27/2015

Cayabyab · Married on 09/10/2015

If you are looking for a make up artist, book Nikki. She is wonderful! When I first met her, I knew right away she would be fun to work with. I'm pretty easy going, and not much of a make up girl. But she made me feel at ease and helped me feel comfortable in many shades. I brought my Maid of Honor with me for a make up trial as she would probably working close with her the day of. They got along well and my MOH praised her! Nikki gave me honest opinions and tried many styles with me. From dark, to light make up, to airbrush, to full lashes, to few. She did it all! She by far exceeded my expectations. All of my bridesmaids loved their make up too! I rec'd numerous compliments--everyone said I was a stunning bride. THANK YOU NIKKI!!!

Also, Nikki does hair- which i did not book her for as I already had a hair stylist. however, if I did not, I would have booked her!

Nikki was very responsive and easy to contact. I would book her again for another event and will recommend her to all I know. She is a professional and has talents!!! I loved her! I had a pretty big bridal party, and she brought Jessie with her. Jessie is wonderful too! :)

Sent on 09/19/2015

Lily · Married on 08/22/2015

Jessie Hoang was my makeup artist for my wedding and SHE IS AMAZING! She's very sweet, easy to work with, and her makeup skills are incredible. She did an awesome job - so many people complimented me, and my mommy (who can be very critical about makeup) said that the makeup looked amazing. Jessie accentuated my good features, made me feel special, while making sure that I looked and felt like myself.

I booked Jessie very last minute considering how several brides book MUPs out a year in advance. I started contacting MUPs in early July when my wedding was in late August. Jessie was one of the artists that contacted me and even though she already had a bride booked for the day, she was able to fit me into her schedule in the early morning. I'm very lucky because when I looked through her portfolio, her style and expertise was exactly what I was looking for.

During the trial session, Jessie experimented with different makeup features with eyes and lips. I initially went in not having a clue about what I wanted, except that I wanted a side braid. She tried several different hairstyles on me and gave me great recommendations. With her help I was able to decide exactly what I wanted for my reception. Jessie is very skilled and collaborative. I felt completely at ease just letting her do her magic on me. The great thing was that when there were very minor things I wanted to adjust, Jessie remembered exactly the feedback and made the adjustments exactly how I asked on my wedding day.

Jessie is very punctual! On my wedding day, she came early so we were actually able to get everything ready even sooner. I had two different hairstyles on my wedding day because I also got a touch up in the afternoon. Getting a touch up is a great idea! Everybody complimented immensely on both hairstyles. I seriously can't compliment Jessie's skills enough.

The next time I have a special event to go to, I'm definitely going to Jessie again!

Sent on 09/12/2015

Christine · Married on 06/21/2015

Highly recommend!!! Chau Nguyen did an amazing job on my hair and makeup. I told her what I was looking for (dramatic look with a curly updo), and she definitely delivered. I booked a trial with her a few months before the wedding and loved the work that she did. Her team came to our venue and did my bridesmaids, mothers/sisters makeup and everyone loved what was done. She made the makeup look natural and not completely overdone.

Incredibly professional, on time, and responsive to emails and phone calls.

Sent on 07/20/2015

lily · Married on 10/26/2014

This review is for Chloe Huang, who was the make-up artist for my wedding last weekend.

Chloe is an amazing make-up artist and a sweet person and I couldn't be happier with her work for both my engagement and wedding.

- She's very timely and responsive. We communicated mostly via emails and I always got responses on the same day. She arrived early on the day of and started my makeup as soon as I got there.

- She's great at what she does. Tell Chloe what looks you want and she delivers beyond expectations. My hair and makeup lasted all day and still looked great at the end of the event.

- She's flexible. I made changes for the services one week prior to the wedding day and Chloe totally accomodated all changes and everything went smoothly on
    the day of.

Thank you so much Chloe!

Sent on 10/29/2014

Vanessa · Married on 10/11/2014

This review is for Chloe Huang:

I am SO happy with Chloe. She did an absolutely amazing job.

-Of all my vendors, she was the most organized and responsive. Not easy when I know she is busy. I made changes to my services (more bridesmaids and mother of the bride) and she was able to accommodate my requests and stay on top of my changes.

-She listened to me while providing her professional opinion. After my trial, I wanted to lighten my eyebrows. She remembered to do this on my wedding day. Then when I said I wanted to go a little heavier, she let me show her how I wanted them done. In the end, she made them perfect.

-Lastly, Chloe is a sweetheart. Not only is she fantastic at what she does, but she also is caring and a joy to be around. Chloe dedicated all her energy and time on me and made me feel like a truly special bride.

Everyone, including my mother-in-law, commented on my hair and make-up. Chloe did a phenomenal job.

Sent on 10/29/2014

Melissa · Married on 04/12/2014

Nikki and Quyen were awesome! My bridesmaids loved their makeup and I absolutely loved mine. I barely had to do any touchup (except for lips, but that's expected)! Nikki even left a couple of her brushes with me because I bought the wrong type of brush for the powder touchup ^^;; my hair was gorgeous - got tons of compliments on that as well :) thank you!

Sent on 04/15/2014

Jackie · Married on 03/23/2013

This review is for LilyAnn Nguyen.

I couldn't have asked for a better MUA & hair stylist for my wedding; LilyAnn deserves a gazillion stars for her fabulous skills, professionalism, and attention to detail. Beyond that, she's totally sweet and hilarious! From my first email with her, she immediately put me at ease. She followed up with my questions almost within the hour, and definitely never more than a day. I really appreciated how she worked with my budget and even did my darling flower girl's hair for free!

She was so thorough and patient with helping me figure out my bridal look. I had such a blast chatting with her during my bridal trial; it felt like we could have just continued the session over dinner. Her work was so beautiful that an aesthetician complimented me on my makeup when I was having dinner with my bridesmaids/Mades of Awesome that night.

On the wedding day, LilyAnn and her two colleagues were early. Her gals were just as sweet, bubbly, and professional as she, and they worked their magic on my lovely Mades of Awesome, mom, and mom-in-law. They were all so warm and kind that they were able to convince the two moms to put on fake (but totally natural looking) eyelashes.

For my bridal makeup and hair, LilyAnn totally outdid herself; I received so many compliments on her gorgeous work, and I had never felt so glamorous before. I can't say enough nice things about LilyAnn; she's worth every single penny. It's worth playing around with your budget to make sure that you get a picture perfect look on your wedding day, and LilyAnn is the perfect MUA for the job!

Sent on 04/15/2013

Heidi · Married on 07/01/2012

A review on Becky Lau (Makeup and Hair Artist)

Becky did my makeup and hair for my wedding and I absolutely loved it! I was looking for a natural and elegant look, which is exactly what she created. The makeup was flattering and enhancing without looking too heavy or overdone. She used the colors I had pictured and made it all come to life. I simply showed her some photos of makeup and hair that I had liked, and somehow she magically created the look I had been envisioning. My hair was even better than I had hoped for. Even to this day, I am getting compliments on how beautiful my hair and makeup was for my wedding. Becky is a very talented makeup and hair artist. She is also very clean, sanitary, organized, and very personable. After meeting her, I felt as though I had known her for years. I would highly recommend Becky as a makeup and hair artist for any of your special events!

Sent on 01/13/2013
  • O

Oswaldo · Married on 05/12/2012

Lily and Nina are the true definition of make-up ARTISTS, Lily did my make-up for my bachelorette party and the day of the wedding. For my bachelorette party she created a great dark/smoky eye evening look and the wedding she created a lighter, more natural look. I loved them both and felt like an absolute star! Nina was great as well, even though she was not my main make-up artist, I needed a total of 9 girls to get their make-up done and everyone she did make-up on looked flawless! The day of the wedding, i thought it might be a little hectic with 9 people, but they were both extremely efficient and really listened to everyone's preferences when it came to make-up. They arrived right on time and even finished a little earlier as well (10:30-1pm). Book them for your wedding/event, you will not be disappointed!!

Sent on 05/20/2012