88 Love Stories Reviews

88 Love Stories 7
  • Kelsey

Kelsey · Married on 11/03/2018

James is incredible!

88 Love Stories came highly recommended to me by a friend. She was good friends with the owner, and knew that he did phenomenal work. After having my Maid of Honor speak with James Lee, we knew that he was going to be the photographer for us. James spent 45+ minutes on the phone with her, discussing life, dogs, and video games. We met him for brunch at our favorite brunch place and discussed us as a couple, how we met, our values, our hobbies, and James seemed genuinely enamored. The way he talked about his work was inspiring, and we knew that we wouldn’t be making a mistake going with him and his team. The prices were a little on the higher side, but the service we received was worth every single penny and then some.

The first time we worked with James was for our engagement session. He was incredibly patient with us while we had to juggle the date around several times. When the time finally came, he worked with us in a way that made us happy and comfortable - being the total nerds that we are. Because he knew that dog rescue was a big part of who we are, he took special care to include our dogs in the shoot, making them a focal point in many ways. He listened to our ideas and accommodated us in every way. He even tolerated 95 degree weather in Deep Run Park in order to get us the shots we wanted.

When the time came for the wedding, James showed up to our rehearsal the day before. He took beautiful photos of our wedding party, and took the time to make sure everyone was comfortable working with him before the big day. The morning of, he showed up on time and eager to work. His ideas were amazing, and he did most of his work without stressing out the bride or the wedding party. He was sociable and easy to talk to, and made everyone feel at ease, despite wielding a giant camera. He worked through our getting ready process, taking amazing photos of me, my girls, and the dogs. He and his partner took great pictures of our decor, and even got some really awesome shots of the groom and groomsmen while they got ready. Because of his personal friendship with hour videographer (Adam Samuelson at Memories), he allowed Adam to use his drone in order to get some awesome footage of the venue for our video.

Honestly, I could go on all day about the incredible service James and 88LS provided. He is passionate about his work, super creative, and incredibly professional and talented. The quality of our photos is everything I could have dreamed of. He let us - and encouraged us to - be our silly and goofy selves, and still managed to get beautiful shots of us in addition to the silly ones. He paid close attention to our dogs because he knew it was important to us. I cannot sing 88LS’s praises enough. If you are planning to get married, you should absolutely at least have a conversation with James and/or his team.

Kayla · Married on 08/04/2018

James first photographed by sister's wedding several years back and his work was so amazing, we decided on him for our wedding photographer on August 4th at Herrington on the Bay! Included in the package was an engagement photoshoot, and he gave us a gorgeous recommendation - Belle Isle. James continues to impress with his beautiful photos and keeps it causal and FUN. You can definitely tell he has a true passion; would recommend to anyone needing a wedding photographer!

88 Love Stories 8
    88 Love Stories 9

Madison · Married on 07/27/2018

If you don't already know, James and his team at 88LoveStories are the best in the business. Want stunning pictures? Check. Want people that are kind and easy to work with? Check. I mean just look at some of their work on instagram and the decision is made for you! We found James after my now brother-in-law used him to capture his proposal and we can't say enough nice things about him. Thank you for taking awesome pics and being an even better human!!

88 Love Stories 10
    88 Love Stories 11
    88 Love Stories 12
    88 Love Stories 13
    88 Love Stories 14
    88 Love Stories 15
    88 Love Stories 16

Sheree · Married on 04/28/2018

Booking 88 love stories was one of the best decisions we made for our wedding. James came highly recommended by both our venue and my friend/officiant. From our first meeting we could tell he was great at making people feel at ease. We were both really nervous for the engagement shoot, but he kept us laughing so we got natural looking beautiful pictures. My bridal party and family loved him on the wedding day. He and Lindsey were a joy to have around the whole day. He really does get your pictures to you as fast as he says, and they look amazing! I’m having such a hard time narrowing down my favorites for the album! Photography is the one area of weddings I had heard the most horror stories about while planning. You do not want to regret your decision and be left with bad photos or bad memories. That will not happen with James! I will recommend him to anyone I know getting married!

88 Love Stories 17
    88 Love Stories 18
    88 Love Stories 19
    88 Love Stories 20
    88 Love Stories 21

Steve · Married on 09/30/2017

Nick Davis from 88 Love Stories shot our fall 2017 wedding. We would repeat everything about our experience with Nick and James, as well as our second shooter Josh. The wedding day goes by too quickly, and their photos are unbelievable keepsakes to help us remember the day. Nick has amazing soft skills for a wedding photographer, and he made us comfortable and made our guests laugh as he coordinated complicated shots and acted in two places at once. Both photographers had a sixth sense, capturing absolutely everything as we moved from spot to spot all the way from getting ready through the first look and late into the night.

Seriously, we couldn't be more happy with the wedding day, and that's not to mention the before and after. Nick made the most of our rainy engagement session and generously offered us a bonus session as a rain check. James delivered photos with jaw-dropping speed, and that's not to mention Nick's preview prints that he gave us during the wedding reception itself. They delivered on extra coverage at another location for our after party, and Nick and James were extremely responsive to critical feedback. After the wedding, James went the extra mile to give a physical flash drive with our photos stored on it, as well as some high-quality prints that were completely unexpected. This has got to be one of the best values in the Richmond wedding industry!

And at the end of the day, the photos they delivered were simply beautiful.

Mary · Married on 09/01/2017

We absolutely LOVED James and Stephanie. From the beginning they were extremely responsive, professional and just a pleasure to work with. We got both our engagement and wedding photos back extremely quickly and could not have been more satisfied on how they turned out. They are an amazing team and totally worth every penny. They also completed a wedding album for us, which was great quality and captured our day perfectly. I would HIGHLY recommend them for any event.

88 Love Stories 22
    88 Love Stories 23
    88 Love Stories 24

Hyatt · Married on 06/03/2017

James caught my whole surprise engagement and took pictures of us after! He was so fun!

Leslie · Married on 05/20/2017

We learned about 88 Love Stories from a friend of a friend, and our expectations were blown away. We were paired with Nick Davis, who shot our engagement session and full wedding day, and for the wedding he had Shawn as a second shooter. These guys were awesome to work with. I know that from reading most of the reviews, this is James' company and he is often the main photographer mentioned, but he has found a great team of amazing photographers that you should feel equally as comfortable and confidant about working with.

For our wedding, we wanted the focus to be on the party and the guests, and to capture the overall vibe of excitement, joy, and fun being had by all. Nick delivered, and also captured plenty of the smaller emotional moments that came across beautifully. Our engagement shoot in DC was also a great experience. I was also amazed at how efficient the team is at getting out the final product. You will have engagement photos within a week, and your wedding photos within two weeks, and we even had about 30-40 sneak peak photos within two days of the event to hold us over while we waited for the rest.

Just so great, all around. Can't say enough.

Janna · Married on 04/29/2017

James is spectacular, end of story. He shot amazing engagement photos for us and his assistant Emily joined him for our big day. The photos are amazing -- a good mix of the standard and more artsy / creative ones -- and he was so organized on the day of, even when we were running behind schedule, that he took the stress away from us so we could just enjoy the moment. He's also really funny and super fun, which is actually more important than we realized in getting great photos. He sent us about 50 photos immediately after the wedding so I had them to show people at the brunch the very next day! And the rest were here within 2 weeks. None of the typical "you only get 6 hours and then have to pay" or "you get the files but have to pay for hi-res"... with James, you're just going to get a fantastic wedding photographer, no games, and at a good price to boot. We can't say enough good things about 88 Love Stories!

• Ashleigh

Ashleigh · Married on 04/22/2017

We had our engagement shoot this past summer with James and cannot wait for him to capture our wedding day this April! Our engagement pictures defied expectations and we have gotten SO many raving compliments on them. James is so fun to work with and has a great eye for what he does. We are ecstatic to have booked James and know he will capture our big day perfectly.

Christina · Married on 04/08/2017

I can't say enough about James, his team of photographers, and his photos. We used 88 love stories for our engagement and wedding photos. Both times, I was blown away just by the sneak peeks! Our wedding last month was captured in the most beautiful way. It was hard not to cry seeing how stunning the photos were. It is a true blessing to be able to look through all of his photos and see from another perspective all the moments we may have missed while enjoying our day. They truly are artists and have an eye and a vision. Best of all they are incredible to work with. I felt like James was a part of the wedding the whole time, and he was one of the best dancers! James, we can't really thank you enough for these photos that will tell our story better than we can ourselves. Just stop looking for a photographer now and call Team 88!

Meredith · Married on 11/19/2016

We could not have been happier with James and his assistant, Emily. They were professional, organized and calm. We had an extremely windy wedding day and they made the most of the less than stellar conditions. Our photos turned out beautifully. We are so happy we chose 88 Love Stories to capture our special day.

• Liz

Liz · Married on 11/05/2016

James and his assistant, Emily are amazing. They captured every detail of our perfect day and everything that mattered most to us - so many pictures of our family and friends! James worked within a fairly strict timeline that we had set and fit in everything, with flexibility! They worked so hard and were a joy to spend time with. We would recommend 88 Love Stories to anyone!

Amy · Married on 10/29/2016

Can my husband and I have a second wedding so we can have James again as our photographer?! He was absolutely amazing to work with! My husband was skeptical about "staged" photos, but from the second he met James during engagement pictures, he was put to ease. James was so fun to work with from our first call to engagement photos to the wedding. Then of course there are the pictures, which are incredible. All of the pictures are (quickly) posted for you to access and share the link to anyone you'd like with no watermark (this is important to mention as some of my friends were surprised by this from the photographers they used). We picked the album package and we were blown away by the quality and well it turned out. It's easy to tell the pride and enjoyment James takes from his work and I couldn't recommend any vendor more highly. He made our wedding so special and something we'll be able to remember for forever.

Kelly · Married on 09/10/2016

We are so incredibly pleased by the quality and diversity of James' photographs. We feel blessed that we found him and couldn't have asked for better pictures from our special day. From the portraits in the church to the steps of the Virginia State Capitol, we loved every single one of them. James was absolutely wonderful to work with and his assistant was great too.

James was such a significant part of our wedding day. He was calm, highly skilled, and always helpful, even in unexpected ways. He helped me put on my veil, helped me understand the timing of how to get dressed, and always provided feedback with patience and a great attitude. In particular, I appreciated his patience with our families and friends who constantly were trying to take pictures in the church when he was clearly set up to take our official portraits.

James also had the ability to take wonderful pictures while not "being in the way." I know that he was around but I never "felt" like I was being photographed. His general positive outlook and friendly disposition really made you an excellent person to be with all day on one of the most important days of our lives. We will be forever grateful.

In addition, we were SO impressed by the engagement pictures in Washington. The colors were so vibrant and the shots of the monuments and Potomac River were mere perfection. James drove up from Richmond to photograph us and it was great!

Monika · Married on 07/09/2016

James is unreal. My husband and I booked James some time ago for our wedding and to say the least, he made my wedding the perfect experience! From flexibility to responsiveness, he provided a level of service that was waaaay more than I would have expected. He helped us with timing for pictures, handling our sometimes crazy families, and really getting to know the bridal party to ensure the moments captured included those close to both my husband and I. In addition, he went above and beyond with my cinematographer team by assisting them and working seamlessly together throughout the day.

Did I mention to drove to meet us for our bridal shoot and was super flexible with any schedule changes and took the time to really understand the Indian transitions?

Overall, his service is unreal and my husband and I are very happy with the services provided.

Alice · Married on 06/25/2016

I cannot recommend 88 Love Stories highly enough! James and Leslie were FANTASTIC on our wedding day. They both arrived promptly at 8 am, when my bridesmaids and I began our hair and makeup, and they stayed until my new husband and I left our reception at 9 pm. They worked tirelessly, and when I looked through the 1000 photographs they took, I felt like I was reliving our entire wedding. He made a point of asking for the names of all of my close relatives in advance so he would know who the important parties were for family photos, and when my head was TOTALLY in the clouds on our wedding day, he kept us organized when I really didn't have the wherewithal to direct which groups of family members should go where.

Not ONLY were James and Leslie fantastic on our wedding day, but my husband and I have been working with James for a year now, beginning with our engagement photos. Despite a rainy day in DC, he made us look gorgeous and even eliminated the raindrops from our clothing to make the weather look a bit nicer than it was. He also offered to do a makeup engagement session due to the bad weather. We spent a good 8 hours with him at multiple locations, and he was very friendly and accommodating.

James also threw in a bridal shoot with me, my grandparents, and my mom, and the photographs brought tears to my eyes. He doesn't overly edit photographs: He really just has a good eye for detail and is exceptionally talented at getting candids and making sure the posed pictures feel comfortable.

Finally, I'd like to emphasize that at no additional cost to us, James came out from Richmond, Virginia to Washington, D.C., Woodbridge, Virginia, and Arlington, Virginia for our engagement, bridal, and wedding photos, respectively, He didn't charge us any travel fees, and at each event he took countless photographs. Having Leslie on our wedding day meant we were able to capture some groom getting ready photos as well as the bridal getting ready photos, which was perfect!

Celia · Married on 06/25/2016

My daughter's wedding was 2 weeks ago in Arlington, Virginia and since I live in California, finding vendors was all up to the bride and groom. So, I first met James at the bridal photo shoot, done 6 weeks before the wedding, although by then he had completed an engagement shoot with so many fun and interesting photos of my daughter and son-in-law in and around Washington, D.C.

In addition to capturing so many wonderful posed and candid shots, James has such an easy going and genial way about him that he felt more like a helpful family member than a vendor after a very short while. Timelines are always tighter than they seem at events like this, and a few times we were up against either the sunset or time to vacate the church, putting things behind the desired time frame. James never became anxious or in any way uneasy. If anything, he was the first one to reassure us that he would be able to accommodate all of our sought after poses in the time allowed and that he did.

What a joy to view the finished photos and see that every conceivable photo was available with nothing but joyful faces and beautiful lighting. James had along with him, an assistant, Leslie, on the wedding day and not thinking anyone could be as pleasant or unobtrusive as James himself, I had no particular expectation for Leslie. My goodness, was I delighted to see that she was every bit as facile as James in managing to be at the right place at the right time shooting anything and everything in such an affable manner.

By the time the reception was in full swing, I felt as if we were buddies (!) and was sincerely sad to say goodbye. As much as anything else that made the day special was working with and the work done by 88 Love Stories.

Christy · Married on 11/15/2015

Wow! James and his assistant did a fabulous job. The two worked as a team and captured all of our memories! We are forever grateful for their work and love how amazing the photos turned out! Working with James from the start was always a pleasure! I recommend for everyone to use 88 Love Stories for their upcoming wedding and other photo needs!

Todd · Married on 10/31/2015

Disclaimer - I rarely give perfect reviews and am definitely not the type of person to dish out superfluous praise for participation and effort. With that out of the way, I want to stress just how happy we were with all facets of working with 88 Love Stories as our wedding photographer. James did a fantastic job working with my wife's vision for what she wanted our pictures to look like, providing valuable insight and recommendations, and doing it all with a positive "can do" attitude. He was patient, professional, responsive, on time, and willing to go above and beyond to make sure we were very happy. He's a genuinely nice guy with a customer-centric outlook on his business. I would never use another photographer.

Lauren · Married on 10/16/2015

We worked with James recently for our engagement photos and he did a wonderful job. The pictures were beautiful and he was very responsive to our ideas. We live in Virginia Beach and he was willing to make the trip from Richmond with only a few days’ notice. I'm so happy we used him and I can't wait to work with him on our wedding day!!!!

James Lee is an amazing photographer! He is a great value for his high quality pictures. He is very professional and fun to work with. James has a great sense of humor and his pictures are so creative yet timeless. We are very impressed by James' photography and highly recommend using him to capture your memories!

Heather · Married on 08/15/2015

Wow! My husband and I worked with James Lee for our King Family Vineyards August 15, 2015 wedding and we could not be more thrilled with his work. James was professional and easy to get in touch with from the beginning. We went with 88 Love Stories because their photos are absolutely stunning and we still had our breath taken away when we saw our sneak peaks and wedding album. James even met us at our venue during the rehearsal and took amazing shots and showed up early on our wedding day to make sure he got shots of us getting ready. Every single photo looks like it's out of a fairy tale or a magazine; it is clear that he knew exactly the rights spots, times and angles to get the perfect shot. We had over 1400 beautiful shots. James and his 2nd shooter were SO fun to work with. They put the whole wedding party, including myself, at ease and James even refilled my champagne glass (a few times) while we were getting ready. I would recommend this company to anyone getting married in the area; I can basically guarantee that you will not find anyone even close to this price that will give the same quality of service and results. Thank you so much for a capturing our special day; we will enjoy these photos for the rest of our lives!

• wistsa

Sara · Married on 07/25/2015

Everything about our experience with James during the course of our engagement and wedding day was incredible. We live in Austin, TX and our wedding was 1,500 miles away in Virginia; James was so easy to talk to over Skype and through email, it felt like we were meeting with him in person. We really wanted to have our engagement photos taken in Austin and James was able to coordinate this around his other travel plans. He was calm and composed on our 90 degree wedding day and dealt professionally with all of our other vendors and errant family members. All of our photos are just stunning. His photos are way better than certain photographers who charge wayyy more. Every friend and family member who has seen them has commented on how beautiful they are and James' incredible eye for capturing our special day. We're so glad he was such a big part of our wedding day and look forward to looking at his beautiful photos and our amazing wedding album for the rest of our lives!