501 Union Reviews

501 Union View more information

4.7 out of 5 rating

Mamawa Married on 04/29/2022

Best Wedding Venue in Brooklyn

I had my dream wedding February 2022 at 501 Union. First of all the venue is not only beautiful, but it is so spacious and you can decorate and design the spaces as you please. You can bring in many of your own vendors too. On top of that, my point of contact and the entire staff were so accommodating and my wedding day went smoothly. If you are looking to book this venue, do it now! This place is the best. I 1000% recommend 501 union for your wedding.
    Taylor Y. Married on 04/24/2022

Excellent with Vendors

I'm writing this from the perspective of a vendor who worked with 501 Union for our client's wedding. The staff are communicative and professional and the space is absolutely gorgeous!
    Tahirah W. Married on 04/21/2022

Beautiful venue

My wedding at 501 Union was amazing. My husband and I knew from the first time we viewed the space that it was the perfect place for our wedding. It perfectly fit our wedding vibe. Andrea took over as our wedding manager close to our wedding and she was amazing. Andrea was always helpful, friendly and a complete pleasure to work with. The team that was there on the day of our wedding was amazing, we had so much fun partying with them. Everyone made sure we had a great and beautiful day.
  • illustration stars

Are you interested?

Send a message
    Noelle M. Married on 12/05/2021

Beautiful Venue

We got married in December 2021 at 501 Union and absolutely loved this venue. It is so beautiful, while also being industrial and having a nice edge to it. The atrium was a really magical place to have the ceremony - the vines, skylights and lights on the vines at night really helped set an intimate tone. We upgraded to the farm tables and black padded chairs for the reception which created a laid back but chic vibe. We were initially worried to only have 2 bartenders for our 100 guest wedding - especially given all the specialty cocktails on the menu, but we got so many compliments from our guests afterwards on their speed and efficiency which was really nice to hear since bar packages can be costly.

The experience leading up to the wedding was very good as well - we worked with Andrea up until the big day and she was extremely quick to respond to any questions while also being patient (and trust me, there were many questions). I also loved that we were able to keep things at the venue for the night after the wedding to be picked up the next morning, it was one less thing to worry about the night of the wedding when there were so many moving parts. I really enjoyed the bridal suite generally (where we left the majority of our items). It had a ton of storage, was perfectly located, and also is very aesthetically pleasing for impromptu candid shots.

The only advice I would give anyone having a wedding here is to perhaps consider how you want the main area lit for the reception. In retrospect, we think we might have had the lights over the dance floor turned up a bit too brightly. However, when you are in the moment at your wedding this isn't something you can really do anything about/process. Therefore, I would advise couples to think carefully about the lighting during the walkthrough and make sure your day of coordinator or planner is aware of the amount of light you want so that they can be your eyes/ears the day of. Otherwise, having our wedding here was a flawless experience - I wish we could do it all over again! :-)
  • Anna
    Anna E. Married on 12/03/2021

A dream wedding at 501 Union

It was love at first sight. As soon as I walked into 501 Union - after running around brooklyn and long island city in search of the perfect venue - I fell in love. I knew we had to get married here. It truly was a dream wedding for us, and we have to thank the 501 Union team who helped us achieve our vision. What was important for us when it came to our venue: 1) Overall vibe of the place. We were looking for "romantic," "moody," "chic," vibe - and this place was it! Especially because our wedding was in December, the venue helped turn our wedding into an intimate, cozy, romantic, beautiful ceremony. We decorated with flowers and many candles. The space was convenient for our guests, because the cocktail hour, the ceremony, and the main dining area were all in one place. Our guests commented how easy it was for them to move around the space throughout the night. 2) The flexibility to really design and play around the space to our liking. So I guess this really depends on what kind of a bride you are - but I didn't want everything to be "set up" for me. I wanted to be able work with the space to create the vibe/mood that I envisioned. 501 Union is so versatile. You can leave the door to the atrium open during the warmer season, bring in food trucks, have the ceremony in the main room, the atrium, play around with different types of decorations to really change the feel of the space, and we loved that (although it was.. a lotttt of work - but I'm a bit neurotic like that) - we could truly turn this place into a wedding venue that reflected who we were as a couple. 3) The People we'd be working with. We worked with Angelica (the venue manager) throughout our planning process, and she was absolutely wonderful. She was punctual, organized, kind, professional, and understanding. When I was interviewing vendors, one of the questions I'd ask each one of them was "We are considering 501 Union as our venue - have you worked at that venue, are you familiar?" and every single vendor I had spoken with would say that the 501 union team is the best - and that they truly love working with them. Trust me, the PEOPLE you'll be working with during this process will make EVERY difference. From first meeting, to the final walk through, from the set up in the morning, to the clean up in the evening - absolutely incredible experience with them. Ohhh my husband and I truly miss our day. This place will forever hold a special place in our hearts.
    Megan Married on 09/18/2021

Great team!

As a wedding coordinator I enjoyed working with Andrea and her team at 501. Everyone was very professional and helpful. It is a beautiful and fun venue. Highly recommend!
    - Megan
    Wedding Coordinator at Wedding Concierge
  • Alise
    Alise M. Married on 08/28/2021

Best in Brooklyn

501 Union is considered on of the best venues in Brooklyn for a reason. Our experience working with them was clear, professional, and low-stress from start to finish. Their beautiful space easily accommodated our 127 guests, and we barely had to do anything in terms of décor because of how effortlessly cool the venue is. Every staff member we worked with, from Celina our wedding coordinator to the bar staff (shout out Audrey) were incredible and we genuinely enjoyed having them with us on our day.

If you want your event to run like a well-oiled machine, go with 501 Union. You won't be disappointed.
  • Jacqueline
    Jacqueline R. Married on 05/21/2021

Elegant with great staff

The 501 Union Staff was so understanding, gracious, and transparent throughout the entire process of rescheduling our wedding from July 2020 to May 2021. The venue itself is gorgeous and is 1 of the main reasons we chose this space. We loved the flow of the spaces, as it worked well with our vision for our wedding day. The staff provides enough support so you can enjoy your wedding day like you are supposed to.
    Jose T. Married on 04/17/2020

Beautiful & Romantic

I was there for a wedding in the Summer of 2017 and I want to say that I felt in love with the place so much that my wife and I decided to book it for our 10 year anniversary celebration in 2020. The place is lovely, plenty of space, great location, great service and love that you have the place all to yourself (don't have to share it with another party). Just keep in mind that you are renting the place alone. Decoration, food service etc you either get it thru them or you can get your own. With a great imagination you can decorate this place however you want. IMO since the place is a little dark with some candles and not too much light décor, flowers etc. the place is can be turned into a beautiful modern romantic celebration.
  • Brynne
    Brynne E. Married on 12/30/2019
      5.0 out of 5 rating

LOVE this venue and staff!

I loved 501 Union from the minute I walked into it. It was exactly what I was looking for - I hate those awful wedding halls with uplighting where everything looks like you're in a castle but it isn't a castle? ANYWAY, 501 is the opposite of that. I was so happy the staff was also very cool and easy to work with - answering our questions quickly, providing some solutions to a few problems we ran into, and just being really fantastic the day of our wedding. Everything happened how it was supposed to, and everyone was so nice. My only hang-up was that we had to contract the bar through them which was pretty expensive. BUT, the cocktails were amazing, the bartenders were fantastic and very fast, and all of our guests were drunk by the end of the evening - just what we wanted. If you are looking for a cool venue that is unique, I highly recommend checking out 501!
  • Heather
    Heather Married on 08/03/2019

Cannot recommend enough!!!

From start to finish, 501 Union absolutely made our wedding what it was. With two large families not used to big cities coming in from out of town, they were blown away by the beauty, comfort and ease within the space. Everyone on both sides is still raving about how much they loved the venue!

I knew I didn't want a raw venue space because I didn't want to have to bring in a whole army of vendors. 501 Union offered the flexibility of a raw space, without needing to add lighting, a sound system, draping, or even tables and chairs! (We did upgrade to the farm tables and that was worth it for us, however.) Being able to come in the morning of and relax and get ready with my bridal party as we got our hair and make up done and set out put of the decorations was one of my favorite memories. Also--air conditioning, which was a requirement for us in the summer--but so much natural light and greenery in the space you don't feel caged in like a hotel ballroom.

The number 1 biggest asset of 501 Union for us was the flow of the space. The layout with the cocktail lounge meant no awkward flow or crowding from ceremony to reception as chairs got moved over, and at the end of the night when the older folks wanted to have quieter conversation they could escape to the lounge and let the dance party rage. It's a totally unique space that start to finish made the day incredibly easy and special. And the wallpaper made the perfect photo booth background!

The staff is also great, and so kind and pleasant to deal with. Bridget was a dream. Also really appreciated the in-house bar staff and found the drink packages to be really fairly priced.

So grateful to 501 Union for doing the most in making our wedding day more fun and less stress than I ever imagined!
  • Lisa
    Lisa Married on 03/15/2019

501 is breathtaking!

We couldn't be happier after having our wedding there on 3/15/19 and we are still so in love with the space. The rooms are absolutely beautiful and it doesn't need a lot of extra work/decorations at all if you don't want to do it. Our guests were awed by how unique the venue is and we got awesome photos in and around the space. We worked with Celina throughout the planning process and she was super responsive and accommodating. They even let us pick up some stuff the next day, which was so helpful. We can't recommend this venue enough!
  • Catherine
    Catherine Married on 07/21/2018

Best venue in Brooklyn!

When we were looking for venues, 501 was the first place we found that we absolutely fell in love with. We tried looking at other venues to see what else was out there, but the simple fact is there is nothing like 501. The space is perfect, the staff is warm and welcoming, the cocktails are delicious and bartenders are really talented. The space and flow of the venue was totally perfect for our wedding. We had our ceremony in the courtyard and cocktails in the lounge and then the reception in the main hall. Everything was perfect.
    Chelsea Married on 11/11/2017
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    We basically settled on 501 Union after walking inside of it. The venue is stunning and there's very little decor needed to make the space your own. Claire was our event point of contact and always answered emails and questions ASAP. The day was even more perfect than we could have imagined. Just do you know, if you do choose this venue, you have to go with their drink packages. This didn't bother us, however, because the drinks were very good and the bartenders were incredible and kind, so we enjoyed not having to coordinate the bar details for our wedding. We had food trucks as the food for our wedding and it worked out pretty perfectly with how 501 Union is... even though it was roughly 40 degrees, you never felt cold, even with the door open. It was great and so much fun. 10/10 would absolutely choose 501 Union if we had to do it all over again... which thankfully, we don't!
    Cailan Married on 10/21/2017
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    After a lot of deliberation, we settled on 501 Union for our wedding this October and I can comfortably say after the event that we made the right choice. We were both thrilled with how the event turned out. Claire (and the rest of the staff) were terrific to deal with. They always replied back quickly and did absolutely everything in their power to be accommodating to our requests. The space itself is beautiful, it has a great, natural flow and the rooms each have their own unique feel. All in all a fantastic experience, we could not be happier with how our celebration went.
    Beth Married on 06/17/2017
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    501 Union is a gorgeous venue and the perfect setting for our June wedding! If you're looking for something a bit different that has a chic 1920s vibe, then this is the place for you. It has a much different feel than the Green Building across the street (more of an "urban barn" look). Our wedding here was a blast and our guests loved the venue and can't stop raving about how unique and cool the space was. I love that it has three totally separate spaces so it feels quite large: the gorgeous ceremony space (which can be open-air, and has nice greenery and lights hanging from the back wall), the stylish cocktail lounge room and the beautiful reception area. The bathrooms are also very nice and there's a private bridal suite and bathroom in the back (I especially loved having the privacy once in a while). It IS expensive and you have to bring in all the vendors yourself (including a day of coordinator), but it's worth it to have such a unique and personalized wedding.
  • User6105385 2+ years ago

Event Planner for 12/31/21

I've been an event planner for almost 12 years now. My clients were looking for a venue for 12/31/21 in the middle of October of 2021. Therefore, we did not have much time to shop around before making a decision. Angelica at 501 Union was incredibly responsive and informative. If she wasn't sure of an answer she always got back to me with a timely response once she found out options.
    We worked with Andrea and Ares the night of the wedding. What a team! Andrea went above and beyond to check vaccine cards and ensure safety and cleanliness of the event space. She answered all my questions and offered help whenever she could. Ares was so incredibly helpful even though my requests were completely out of his job scope. He helped me hook up an extra camera and launch a virtual ceremony for guests who could not attend. He helped me troubleshoot with lighting and equipment.
    I am so pleased my clients chose this venue and my clients were thrilled with the ambience and beverage packages at the venue. Pthe bartenders were responsive and willing to work with the specialty cocktails my clients requested. Parking was easy in the neighborhood, and as a Brooklyn native, I know this is a luxury!
    The venue was incredibly accommodating to my clients, myself and all vendors. I've never worked with such professional and helpful people. I would recommend this venue to any couple getting married, corporate group or non profit event. The space is modern and fun yet professional. I am so grateful we could book the space on such short notice and for all the help we received along the way. Thank you!
    Joanna Mancuso Zimbaro - Event Planner
    Megan Married on 10/29/2016
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    My husband and I were just married at 501 Union in October. The venue is absolutely stunning and the staff (especially Claire Mahler, who was with us from the day we booked 501) is unfailingly professional and helpful. We were so unbelievably thrilled with the entire experience- my bridesmaids and I got ready at the venue and basically made it our home-base until late that night. 501 is pricey, but overall was well worth it.
    Junr Married on 09/29/2016
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    The venue was perfect for a wedding anytime of the year because of the skylight and retractable roof.

Every corner was a dream to photograph. And didn't need much decoration as it's so beautiful.

The team is so wonderful, helpful and flexible.

All their recommended vendors were also just as wonderful to work with. It just made the entire planning and execution process so easy, we didn't even need a wedding planner.
    Sarah Married on 11/29/2014
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    We just had our wedding here over Thanksgiving weekend, and it was stunning. The venue itself is beautiful, but the staff is also very helpful, organized and friendly. Tracy was our contact, and she was great throughout the process. On the day of, the staff was helpful and friendly. The maitre d in particular made sure that my husband and my needs were met throughout the evening. The whole entire thing was absolutely fantastic.
    Jordan Married on 10/18/2014
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    Our wedding at 501 Union was the best day of our lives, and the beautiful venue and helpful staff helped make it so.
    Alyson Married on 10/18/2014
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    When I first booked 501 Union, it was under construction, but I saw the light fixtures and instantly knew that it was the perfect space. A few things about the space itself:

1. The lighting is gorgeous. No need to light anything extra. Its totally beautiful
    2. The garden room is totally beautiful and the perfect space for a ceremony.
    3. The sky light in the main room is beautiful
    4. There is amazing wallpaper in the space that makes everything warm and glowy. The lights reflect off the paper.
    5. Ample bathrooms! This seems crazy, but it definitely helps make sure that there's never a line.
    6. Built in full kitchen, makes it easy for your caterer
    7. Beautiful separate room for the cocktail hour.
    8. the bars are marble - so gorgeous
    9. The venue has some rentals in house - GET THE FARM TABLES. they're great
    10. There is a bridal suite with a full shower. It has kinda dim lighting so not the best for makeup, but an amazing place to hang with bridesmaids before the ceremony, keep stuff, sign the marriage license, etc etc. Or a great place for folks to get ready who don't need make up.

About the staff :
    They were so amazing. Over the time when I booked to my wedding (almost 2 years) there was some staff turnover, but I never felt like that caused any issue with my wedding. They were amazing about honoring my original requests and agreements with previous folks and the venue was flawless on my wedding day. These guys are total pros, they also own the Greene building across the street and really have this stuff down pat. Best venue I possible could've picked.
    Jill Married on 08/05/2017
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    Beautiful venue! Claire has been great to work with so far--very responsive and warm.
    Andie Married on 09/04/2016
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    We had our wedding at 501 Union on 9/4/16. The entire process leading up to and the event itself was a huge success, and I would highly recommend 501 Union, Purslane Catering and Ashley Chamblin for a total dream team celebration.

It's very evident that 501 is a boss at what they do -- they're totally professional, on top of every detail, and have done this so many times it has become seamless. We knew we wanted to get married in Brooklyn, and after doing some research of the usual places (Liberty Warehouse, Brooklyn Bridge Park, The Bell House, Brooklyn Botanic Garden, etc.) 501 was by far and away the most perfectly styled and affordable. We loved that we were able to pick and choose our own vendors, there was no minimum guest requirement, and that we lived a mile from the venue was the icing on the cake.

The space is stunning, and we loved that there are different areas you can use throughout the night, so guests could really have individual experiences and enjoy at their own pace. And because everything is aesthetically beautiful, hip and Brooklynified we didn't have to bring in decorations at all -- just some candles and flowers to make it ours for the night.

After we squared things away with 501 we decided that we really wanted to pursue a whole Park Slope weekend for our guests, and built all the events and a custom map around the area so our friends and family could have a totally immersive experience of what our life is like in BK. I'm never planning a wedding again -- but would absolutely pick 501 again in a heart beat!
  • Kristian
    Kristian Married on 11/23/2014
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    We just had our wedding at 501 Union the sunday before Thanksgiving and it was more fun than we could have ever imagined it to be. The building itself is so classy and beautiful. No other venue looks like this place. The lighting, the walls, the wooden tables, the bar and even the wallpaper is so stylish and hip. The building is located in Gowanus Brooklyn - a quaint community by the Gowanus Canal that is great for capturing the look of an urban wedding. The only downside of getting married in the city is no private parking. We had to hire Elite Parking Services to provide valet parking for this venue.

However, the people at 501 Union are amazing. They know how to do buisness in a professional and friendly manner. They often have open houses and exibits at their venues that showcase different vendors that are worth speaking to.

In summary, 501 Union is a great place and we are so happy that we had our wedding at this place!
illustration stars