1880 Union Hotel Reviews

12 | Los Alamos, CA

12 Reviews for 1880 Union Hotel

12 1880 Union Hotel Reviews

Jenny · Married on 05/27/2018

My now husband and I had an amazing experience getting married at the 1880 Union Hotel!! Throughout the process, Ben, Aly and their staff were super responsive and quick to answer any of our questions/help us with the planning.

The venue itself was probably the coolest wedding venue us or any of guests had ever seen. Staying in the historic, beautifully appointed rooms for the weekend was truly a treat and the magical backyard was the perfect setting for the actual wedding. It was also awesome to have the Saloon attached, which gave our guests a place to quench their thirsts late night.

On the day of, Aly and her coordination staff were so on top of everything and made sure not only that everything went smoothly, but that my husband and I remembered to eat and drink. (which was so appreciated because the food and beverages were out of this world!).

In sum, our experience at the 1880 couldn’t have been better. The setting mixed with the wonderful staff and management made it a weekend that we and our guests will never forget. Thank you 1880!!!!

Valerie · Married on 01/13/2018

I do not if I can find the words to describe how amazing, magical, and wonderful this venue is. From the first moment my new husband and I walked in to the venue to the morning after our wedding the 1880 was amazing. We have so many complements from our guests that our wedding was one of the best they have ever been to, and we feel the same way. Ben (General Manager) was absolutely amazing, very informative and there every step of the way to help make your day amazing. The food was absolutely amazing, the signature cocktails phenomenal, and the ambiance of the place is utterly magical. William (chef) and Jesse (bar/ event manager) are absolute masters at their crafts and we had so many compliments on how amazing our food and drinks were. For the whole weekend from the moment of check-in with Chris and check-out they were so helpful, friendly, and so accommodating at such a wonderful and (at moments) stressful time. Chris was even helping us unload all our wedding supplies. And last but most definitely not least the 1880 provides a day of coordinator, Aly, through Tricia Dahlgren Events Company. Aly and her assistant Breanne were absolutely and utterly amazing. The day went off without a hitch and even the days leading up to it were perfect. Aly is on top of everything and made our day perfect and most importantly stress free. From setting up to breaking down and keeping us on our timeline and ensuring the bride and groom were feed and "hydrated" Aly and her time ran a tight and amazing ship. If you are looking for a magical day that you and all of your guests will remember for a lifetime we highly recommend this amazing and stunning venue. I am already ready to start planning our anniversary parties here, and believe me we will celebrate some big ones here! - The photos I am uploading are mostly from guests cell phones and a couple from our photographer, but I just want to give you an idea of just how amazing and magical this place truly is.

1880 Union Hotel 2
    1880 Union Hotel 3
    1880 Union Hotel 4
    1880 Union Hotel 5
    1880 Union Hotel 6
    1880 Union Hotel 7
    1880 Union Hotel 8

Hanae · Married on 11/11/2017

JR and I got married here on 11/11 and we spent the entire weekend at this venue with our siblings and wedding party. The most popular question we got during and after the wedding wasn't "Where are you going for your honeymoon?" but "How did you find this venue?!" That's how awesome this place was. People from LA said the 3-hour drive was totally worth it, I did not hear anyone complain about the commute.

The venue was eerie from the outside but breathtaking inside. We couldn't ask for a better venue. One of the best memories I had there was the night before when my close friends and family spent some quality time before the big day. The other one was the day we booked the place when Ben, the manager, gave us the tour. We all celebrated next door with some amazing cocktails.

Service was top notch. Ben was very easy-going and Aly, the coordinator, was incredibly sweet. They answered all my questions via email right away and did not discourage me from all my crazy weird ideas I had for the wedding. Trust me... they were def weird.

1880 Union Hotel 9
    1880 Union Hotel 10

Astrid · Married on 10/07/2017

This venue is truly one of a kind! Romance, history and uniqueness was what we were looking for in a venue and boy did the 1880
    Union deliver!
    Food was delicious, the attention to detail exceptional and everyone’s great attitude and willingness to go the extra mile to ensure our happiness really made everything wonderful! We are more than happy to recommend the 1880 Union to anyone!

1880 Union Hotel 11
    1880 Union Hotel 12
    1880 Union Hotel 13
    1880 Union Hotel 14
    1880 Union Hotel 15
    1880 Union Hotel 16

Jenny · Married on 09/09/2017

My husband and I were beyond thrilled with the 1880 Union Hotel! Ben & Aly Cokeley are so easy to work with, very accommodating, and professional. We felt so well taken care of at every stage of the planning process and especially the day of. The staff was awesome, the food and drinks are fantastic. Also, it's immaculately clean and the attention to detail in decor is fabulous. This is no dusty, stodgy ole bed n breakfast. It's a well renovated old hotel in a GEM of a town (I'm almost hesitant to write too good of a review because I don't want Los Alamos to change one bit! HA!)

We initially chose the venue because we wanted something unique... something with character but also really nice. We also loved the idea that both of our families could stay on the property. That was really great because it might be the only time we can get everyone in one place. A couple of our siblings hadn't even met yet so it was important that everyone be close together and share this time with us. We first saw the hotel in January (during the day of course) when the ivy wasn't grown in and the rose bushes were not in bloom. It was, of course, lovely but nothing like the magical beauty we enjoyed late summer for our wedding. With the string lights, the fireplace roaring, and the back of the hotel lit up at night... not only did it have character, but it was STUNNING! It far exceeded ours and our guests expectations. The Saloon attached was perfect for the after party and even had a live band playing. It was so much fun!

We live in Southern California with no shortage of beautiful locations to get married... If I had an unlimited budget and I could have any Malibu mountaintop residence or palatial Los Angeles estate I wanted... I'd still pick the 1880 Union Hotel. It is truly that special of a place!

Kristin · Married on 08/12/2017

We recently got married here and had the best experience ever. We were looking to get married in Feb. 2018 but unfortunately due to family health issues we shot-gunned the wedding and decided in May 2017 to get married in Aug. 2017. As soon as I walked into the venue I knew it was the place. Ben was EXTREMELY wonderful to work with and helped us tremendously in the short time we planned the wedding. The property is beautiful and more than I could've imagined. Food was delish and the menu can be adjust to your desire. The chef is awesome. We even had a pizza waiting for us at the end of the night which is highly recommended. :) Aly managed day of/rehearsal and was helpful and professional. The hidden room and beautiful balconies are reason enough to book it. But the saloon, I love that saloon. There was a live band that played the night of our wedding and it couldn't have been a better to end the night. LOVE!!!
    Hair: @dosbyjanea, Make Up: @barriking, DJ: @gabevega, Flowers: @thebloomingypsy / @evermorefloral, Photography: @ashleymaxwellphoto
    Just a word of caution: The hotel across the street (The Alamo) was difficult for us to work with...I don't think they like weddings and at the time of my wedding put a $750 buy out charge on top of the room costs. We called and let them know we decided against the buy out as we weren't sure if we'd be able to fill the 19 rooms available (there are cute aribnb's near, other B&B’s and some family wanted to stay in Buellton) and told friends/family to just call book themselves. The hotel decided to then block our guests from booking by stating the hotel had been booked by another group, which it had not. It was a hassle but at the end of the day we did have guests book rooms as they started to open up rooms as it got closer to the wedding. I suggest either paying for the full buyout to avoid issues or simply don't call and have guests start booking and not mention anything about a wedding! Or book: Skyview Motel!!!

Meredith · Married on 07/22/2017

My husband and I just had our wedding at the 1880 Union. We fell in love with the town and looked into the venue. The location was gorgeous in the photos, but even more beautiful in real life. Working with the duo Aly and Ben was really great. They helped bring our vision to life and our guests truly had an amazing experience. Aly: she was able to handle the task of the wedding from the smallest details to the biggest. She did so with grace and confidence, the perfect combination for someone dealing with friends and family members. Ben was very hands on with the operations and made sure the food and DJ etc. were up to snuff. Our families also loved staying at the hotel-there is a great living room upstairs and a kids room that worked out great for our little nieces. The food was excellent. Thanks to the entire staff at the Union for making our wedding such an incredible experience. If you're considering having your wedding here-you won't be disappointed.

Kim · Married on 05/28/2017

Do you want a magical, delightful, delicious, romantic, unforgettable, smoothly run wedding? Then get married at the 1880 Union Hotel.

Beautiful, versatile outdoor/indoor setting, outstanding food & drink by Chef Brooke Stockwell & Jesse Brockman, stellar planning/coordination by Aly Cokely & Amanda Loesser of Tricia Dahlgren Events, and impeccable guest/hotel services by Ben Cokely. Sam Kapcio also gets props for getting the ball rolling on what many of our guests are saying is the best wedding they’ve ever been to!!

FOOD & DRINK: The standard Union fare is rustic gourmet California cuisine at its finest, but Chef Brooke & Jesse can pull anything off; we wanted some southern flavors, and they created several custom dishes for us including a queso bite app! They are completely accommodating – the only thing they won’t do is use out-of-season, sub-par ingredients. Brooke’s signature tri-tip is OFF THE CHAIN. The specialty cocktails were fab and obviously…killer wine.

EVENT COORDINATION: Aly was our angel throughout the planning phase – so responsive, so detail oriented, so caring and thoughtful. She helped us bring several wacky ideas to life and put our minds at ease that everything was taken care of, which is all you can hope for on your wedding day – to forget all the planning and have a blast. On the day of, Aly brought on the lovely consummate pro Amanda, who attended to our every need quickly & calmly, without missing a beat. So grateful for her!

VENUE: When you rent the Union for an event, you get the entire historic hotel to yourself and your loved ones all weekend! Your wedding guests will never be bored because there are so many cool areas & features to explore. SO MUCH FUN. Ben did a fabulous job with all of the room assignments and guests services – he was consistently attentive, reliable, and always with a smile.

THANK YOU 1880 Union, from the bottom of our hearts, for creating a beautiful, unforgettable wedding weekend for us!!!

Elizabeth · Married on 09/17/2016

We just had our wedding at this amazing establishment and it was absolutely perfect. Sam, Jessi, and Brooke were so awesome to work with as well as their event coordinators, Tricia, Krissy and Kaitlyn. My parents were married at this location over 30 years ago and as soon as my (now) husband and I told them our vision for our wedding they bent over backwards to make sure we had everything we wanted and needed. I received so many compliments after the wedding on the food, the venue and just everything about the night. We also barely had to bring in decorations or anything since the wedding venue is so beautiful on it's own. If you are looking for an amazing experience, especially for out of town guests, have your event at this beautiful old hotel. The team and staff are amazing, it's beautiful and unique and you definitely will not regret it.

Amy · Married on 10/03/2015

1880 was the best choice that we could have made for our wedding weekend. The venue was renovated early last year, and while it was gorgeous before, it is even better now. It has a vintage, and rustic quality that makes the chandeliers sparkle even brighter. Each area, be it the outside brick patio with a fireplace, inside lobby with an antique hotel feel, or the upstairs lounge with elegant and comfortable rooms- even a secret one- adds to the character of the venue. The look and feel alone are a reason to choose 1880.

What sealed the deal for us was really the team. The approach that they take toward wedding planning is to work with you and customize every aspect of the day around the vision that you have, as opposed to picking "package A, B or C". Ben, Aly from Tricia Dahlgren Events, and the entire catering staff were all unbelievable. Ben consistently went above and beyond with logistical support and connecting us with vendors and local accommodations during the months leading up to event. Similarly, Aly was attentive and thoughtful, guided us through planning, and ensured a seamless wedding day. And, the food was absolutely incredible- fine dining quality for large groups is very hard to find and they nailed it.

We highly recommended 1880 to anyone looking for their special event!

Amy & Garret Bean

1880 Union Hotel 24
    1880 Union Hotel 25
    1880 Union Hotel 26

Jamie · Married on 06/15/2013

I cannot say enough great things about this venue. Dan, Anna, Jenevieve and the whole crew at the Union made my day a complete success. Not only is the garden gorgeous, but it was the perfect place for our wedding. Everyone was so punctual and right on target with everything, it made me the most non-stressed bride ever. I would recommend this place to everyone!!!