St. Croix, USVI Honeymoons
If you’re looking for a tropical paradise with a rich history to explore, a St Croix honeymoon is the perfect choice.
St. Croix Honeymoon
St Croix in the U.S. Virgin Islands, has been home to many European settlers including Dutch, French, Danish and British who have all left their mark on the rich and varied cultural history of the island—and St. Croix honeymoons are certainly popular, too. It’s scattered with 18th century churches, sugar plantations and its even home to the landing point of Columbus’ second voyage. If you’re lucky, you might even catch a sighting of a “Moko Jumbie”, a traditional stilt dancer that dances and wards off evil spirits.
Beach bums will not be disappointed with over 20 secluded bays, pristine beaches and snorkelling paradises to choose to spend your lazy days catching some rays. When you need to cool off, head to the crystal clear waters and explore some of the underwater trails as you swim among schools of fish and turtles.
Foodies will love the opportunity to indulge in the island’s mix of culinary influences with traditional jerk spices, kallaloo, conch in butter and johnny cakes to choose from. Eating at a food truck or beach shack is a great way to meet with the locals.
In the evenings, enjoy live jazz on the waterfront as you watch the sunset or take a kayak out to one of St Croix’s bioluminescent bays and wonder as the water lights up with each paddle stroke.
A St. Croix honeymoon is ideal for beach bums and history buffs alike. Here's how to start planning.
When to Go
St Croix experiences good weather all year round but to avoid the breezy evenings of December to March and the hurricane rains of July to November, the sweet-spot for St. Croix honeymoons is between April and June. Generally, rain comes in the form of short showers but it can be heavy during October and November. April to June is also a great time to visit if you’re looking for value for money as many of the resorts are less crowded and more competitively priced.
Top Sights and Activities
- Buck Island is one of only three underwater monuments in the US. Explore the stunning coral reefs and snorkel with turtles as you swim along underwater trails or wander the uninhabited island for your own piece of St. Croix honeymoon bliss.
- Domino Club Take a drive out to the rainforest and stop in at this open-air bar for friendly chat and the chance to feed the local pigs a (non-alcoholic) beer.
- Take an unforgettable horse-ride Head up into the hills and through plantations as you take in the stunning scenery before galloping along the sands and swimming with your horse in the Caribbean waters.
- Columbus Landing Visit the site of Columbus’ second landing in the US in 1493 and explore some of the caribbean’s largest mangrove forests.
- Explore Secluded Bays Enjoy the privacy at Jack’s Bay and Isaac’s Bay, both of which can only be reached by foot. You’ll be rewarded with a spectacular view, seclusion and maybe even catch a glimpse of the turtles that nest here.
- Indulge at a distillery Visit a rum distillery during your St. Croix honeymoon and learn more about this traditional Caribbean tipple as you practice being a connoisseur for the day and sample 39 different flavors of rum!
- Take a gamble on a crab! Many St. Croix resorts will hold a weekly crab race where you can choose a crab to join in or just watch the entertainment unfold.
- Visit the most easterly point of the US at Point Udall and stand in the first spot in the US to see the sun rise on a new day
- Dive the Wall St Croix is internationally renowned for its diving, in particular the steepest wall in the world at Northstar Bay where you can dive a continental divide.
- Take a leap of faith Keep saying “I do” and experience the thrill of sky diving! When you can peel your eyes open, you’ll take in spectacular views of the US Virgin Islands.
- Explore a Plantation Head to Estate Whim Plantation Museum to visit the oldest sugar plantation in the Virgin Islands and learn more about the trade that attracted so many European settlers to the area.
- Tee Off For golfing with a difference, try one of the three courses on the island before relaxing at the beach restaurants and taking in the Caribbean views.
Get access to travel deals when you book your honeymoon through WeddingWire