Box 511, Marfa, TX 79843 Map · Phone number

About Susan Simmons Photography

Susan Simmons

What Photography means to me and how I began:
My father bought me my first 35mm camera when I was in high school. Early on, I was uncomfortable with aperture and F-stops and film speeds: I just wanted to take a good photo. Now, while I am versed in digital photography and other forms of picture making, I continue to love and work with the complexities and flexibility of film-based imagery.

I always used photography or video to see myself and continue this process with others, mainly shooting portraits. Both the photographer and the subject must surrender; each is at risk in pursuit of the truthful picture. Whether I’m shooting people or their environments, I am interested in exploring the space between individuals, between my subject and me. We are always hiding from ourselves, from each other. Despite this tension, openings occur and tension eases in a fraction of a second through a single gaze. Somehow “that connection” shows up in the photograph but what it is remains a mystery.

About Shooting Weddings:
When I was planning my wedding more than two decades ago, I felt self-conscious about spending a lot of money on a photographer: it felt indulgent, so I didn't do it. Instead, I hired a high school friend of my mom's. He was a professional, and he was nice, but the photos were the kind you'd rather put away in the bottom of a drawer. I knew when I hired him that the images wouldn't be what I really wanted: vibrant candids and portraits that swelled with life and love, beauty and art. But I hired the family friend anyway — as a favor to my parents and to appease my conscience.

Little did I know "Till death do us part" would descend upon me early. Four years ago, after 17 years of marriage, I lost my husband to a freak sailing accident. If anyone understands the value of beautiful photography — especially on your wedding day— I do.

-----------------------

Where you might find me:
I plan to be in and out of Marfa a lot, as I'm working on book project about people connected to this Far West Texas town. Other places I frequently shoot are Park City, Utah; Los Angeles; New York; Houston; Washington, D.C., Detroit, Australia (soon!) and the magnificent community of Sayulita, Mexico.

-----------------------

I look forward to meeting you.

Susan

elisechandler pix f 03
e578fcbcfa9e02e2 1400174784827 140412 amypalo wedding blog 1
land lr

2 Reviews for Susan Simmons Photography

Susan was so helpful prior to the event. Always quick to respond, I felt like she had everything under control, and I could trust her. She worked within our budget and out tight timeline, and her work is gorgeous!

Sent on 01/05/2015

Awesome photographer! Beautiful photos and easy to work with. She made our day that much better. If you're looking for a photographer that will make you feel at ease and someone who takes photos that look like art, Susan is the one.

Sent on 05/15/2014