1900 Acklen Avenue, Suite 1601, Nashville, TN 37212 Map · Phone number
Most Popular Price $430
  • Pricing

About Doug Gortner, Wedding Pianist

A well-dressed (blazer or madras sport jacket & bow tie, or my tuxedo), happy fella who will arrive early; courteous, good communicator, willing to MC, willing to stay late, and connects well with your guests during breaks. All my wedding reviews are FIVE STARS (just now starting the process of having former clients resubmit to this website) and for other types of events I have an additional twenty-eight reviews, all but one FIVE STARS. (Ask me for a list.) Based on my reviews I am, much to my consternation, considered to be one of, if not The top Party Pianist in Music City. I play from the Great American Songbook: Jerome Kern, Cole Porter, Rodgers and Hammerstein, George Gershwin, Irving Berlin, Stephen Sondheim and many others. I can play MELLOW: (Misty, Wind Beneath my Wings, Georgia on my MInd, Over the Rainbow, Moon River, Stardust, Unforgettable, Sunny Gets Blue, Summertime, I Left My Heart in San Francisco, Chances Are, Rainy Days and Mondays, Old Man River, When You Wish Upon a Star, Send in the Clowns; Carpenters, Sinatra, Bennett, Ella) or LIVELY and UPBEAT (Lady is a Tramp, Satin Doll, Ain't Misbehavin', Sweet Georgia Brown, My Favorite Things, Some Day My Prince Will Come, Pennies from Heaven, Teach Me Tonight, etc. I also play a variety of modern jazz blues, both slow and peppy. I have a Wedding Repertoire that is strictly Songs of Love. I play hundreds of songs and you can choose the tunes and even the order in which they are to be played.

What to Expect

I just love being part of your special day. My "Couples" often comment on my professionalism and ease of communications, the warmth of my chording, and my obvious passion for the music. I am Mr. Reliable -- attested to in my Five Star Reviews. If necessary, I can bring my own keyboard, amp, and mic and will arrive no less than one half hour ahead of the scheduled time. I am willing to travel if expenses are included. As I cannot read music, I cannot play classical pieces, though I have cobbled together an acceptable version of Here Comes the Bride. I have a partnership, however, with a truly magical violinist. Mostly she just soars above, below, and around anything I might be playing, but she is also so good that she can play solo most of the classical pieces that are often featured in wedding ceremonies -- and has performed solo at many. I do not recommend that she accompany me to Rehearsal Dinners, but she would add real warmth and excitement to your Reception. If you want a little extra bounce for dancing at the reception, I can bring along an upright bass player to underscore my beat. Depending on the services required, my average fee is $430, not the $1,000 you will find in FAQs.

About Me

After a ten-year career in finance in NYC, Chicago, and Boston, I spent the last thirty years of my career working in senior administrative positions at arts and educational institutions. Although I cannot play classical pieces, I did perform for the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. (Ask me about that!) I started playing professionally in a Coffee House (heard of them?) while a student at Brown University and have played in lounges and many private parties ever since that time. Last August I opened for Marie Osmond in Muscle Shoals! I love to play for people, especially weddings. I volunteer at Alive Hospice and am active at St. George's Episcopal Church. I live in Hillsboro Village, Nashville. Last month I was asked to join tht gallery of Steinway Performing Arts. My little buttons burst when I see my photo along side so many fabulous artists. Since this site takes only video (as opposed to audio) recordings (of which I have none), soon I will be going down to Steinway to record some video for this website and several others.

• Veteran-owned
doug gortner wedding pianist 51 1967457 159104747894954

2 Reviews for Doug Gortner, Wedding Pianist

• Andreea

Andreea · Married on 08/04/2018

Talented, fun pianist - highly recommended!

Doug is a pleasure to work with! We recently had our wedding reception at The Hermitage Hotel in downtown Nashville, and he played the piano during cocktail hour. We received so many compliments regarding his performance!! We would definitely recommend Doug for any event as he is easy to work with, friendly but professional, and very talented!! Thank you, Doug, for making a special event even better!!

Sent on 02/15/2021

Doug Gortner, Wedding Pianist's reply:

Thank you Andreea, It has been really slow for the past nine months, but people are now starting to book weddings for fall and into next year. Your review will definitely help.

Doug Gortner, Wedding Pianist Pricing

Doug Gortner, Wedding Pianist Price Rates

Doug Gortner, Wedding Pianist FAQ

• What is the average price for a wedding reception during peak season?
    $ 1,000 - $ 4,000
  • What is the average price for a wedding reception during off-peak season?
    $ 1,000 - $ 4,000
  • Which of the following are included in the price?
    Sound/PA System
  • What is the price of your popular wedding package?
    $ 430
  • Which of the following are included in the package?
    Travel Expenses
  • Are you an agency or a band?
    Band
  • How many musicians are in your band(s)?
    1 - 3
  • What genres of music does (do) your band(s) play?
    Big Band
    Blues
    Jazz
    Strings
    Swing
  • What music services do you provide?
    Instrumentals
    Rehearsal Dinner Music
    Willing to Travel
  • What items are available?
    Microphones

• 1900 Acklen Avenue, Suite 1601 Nashville, TN, 37212 See on map
    Location of (Doug Gortner, Wedding Pianist)