2815 Mockingbird Ct, Blacksburg, VA 21401 Map · Phone number

jnwedding2015aug290064

10 Reviews for Devon Rowland Photography

Nicholas Bernard · Married on 04/27/2019

Amazing Pictures by a Friendly Photography Ninja

tl;dr: Devon is amazing. Hire her.

When we looked at wedding photographers, we wanted someone who had lots of pictures of real (i.e. not conventionally beautiful) people. When you look at a lot of wedding photographers' websites, most of what you see is gorgeous pictures of gorgeous people looking gorgeous. Those are nice, but it's often hard to tell how much is due to the talent of the photographer and how much is just due to the fact that they're highlighting the most attractive people they've ever photographed on a day where the couple spent hours looking as beautiful as possible.

My partner and I are not the most traditionally attractive people. I think she's gorgeous, of course, but she's also a foot shorter than me, and I'm blessed with the jawline of a late-generation Habsburg noble. So we wanted to find a photographer who we knew could make us look as good as possible. We also liked that Devon was LGBTQ-inclusive, which was very important to us. After a video chat, where both of us were totally charmed by Devon, we hired her for our wedding in DC.

About six weeks before our wedding, we learned that my partner's mom was going to have to have surgery, and wasn't going to be able to make it to the wedding. Obviously, both of them were devastated. We decided, on short notice, to have a "pre-wedding" in Boston, with just immediate family and a couple close friends, about 25 people. We emailed Devon to find out if she knew any photographers in Boston. Lo and behold, Devon was free that weekend, and offered to come take pictures for us. It was an amazing help to us to have a photographer, and it meant a ton to my partner and her moms that they have pictures to remember it by.

Not only that, the pictures were amazing. We walked around Beacon Hill for a while, and she got some really great shots of us with the brownstones and the State House. Made us look really good. Then we went to a restaurant in Cambridge, where we took some posed pictures and then had the ceremony and dinner. Again, the shots were amazing, but almost as impressive was how, in a small space that was crowded with people, Devon managed to both get every important moment on film and also seemingly disappear into the walls. She's like a ninja that takes great pictures.

After Boston, she also shot our wedding in DC. Again she took amazing pictures, and again she was completely unobtrusive. She also worked with us for random requests like taking pictures with our cats (some of my favorite pictures) and near the spot where my partner and I met, which was not by the venue, and did a great job wrangling the various family and bridal party members to get the necessary shots in a pretty short amount of time.

Through it all, she was incredibly friendly, fun to work with, and super helpful. It's hard to write a text review of a photographer, but go look at her pictures and they'll tell you everything you need to know about her talent. Hiring Devon was one of the best decisions we made for our wedding, and I can't recommend her enough.

Sent on 07/10/2019

Emily · Married on 09/15/2018

Exceeded Expectations!!

Where do I even start about Devon!?

Somewhere along the line in wedding planning, I realized that for me one of the most important decisions I would be making about my wedding was the photographer. I had no idea it would be so important to me until we started looking at photographers and I was trying to envision how our wedding day would look and how it would be captured and WOW Devon totally checked that box in the best way possible!

Every interaction my husband or I had with Devon was positive, I immediately felt comfortable with her, which is super important in a photographer! She completely put my mind at ease with her confidence and professionalism. She was also super flexible on timeline when we didn't quite have that figured out yet, and let us add an extra hour a few weeks before the big day!

The day of the wedding, Devon was super great at communicating, making everyone comfortable, and making an effort to know the names of the Bridal Party and being engaging. We even finished taking all the pictures ahead of schedule and used the extra time to take more shots that were important to us!

As for the results - Devon sent us around 20 sneak peek pictures within a week of our wedding date - SUCH a wonderful glimpse of her work and a happy reminder of our wedding day. We received all of the photos exactly 1 month after our wedding (2 weeks ahead of schedule) and let me tell you they exceeded all expectations! I still have to dig into them and pick favorites and share them and print them and all that fun stuff but Devon captured the day absolutely perfectly!!

I love the feel of the photos and the lighting - every background we took pictures against turned out beautifully! Devon also captured the feel and emotion of the wedding, the life of the wedding. The moments she captured are priceless - a glance between my husband and I, an exchange with a bridesmaid, our guests laughing at a joke, an enthusiastically dancing couple- all gorgeous candid moments that I am so glad we can look back on! Devon even managed to follow my husband and I around the room as we chatted with our guests and we had absolutely no idea she was there - the pictures were a pleasant surprise!

In summary: Devon is fantastic. Every aspect about the photos is brilliant and I am so glad she was able to capture so many perfect moments. I'm not sure how it's possible but every picture is my favorite until I see the next one :)

Beyond grateful to Devon for capturing our day - highly highly recommended!!

Sent on 10/16/2018

Emily · Married on 05/27/2018

Devon gave us exactly what we wanted - fun, happy wedding photos! One thing we both knew - we didn't want to spend our wedding day in awkward, unnatural poses and she made sure we didn't! She gave us the few poses we needed and the rest were happy, smiling guests and bride & groom, tons of candids, and plenty of shots of our gorgeous venue. I was shocked at how many photos she got of us and our guests laughing. Either we had the most funny wedding of all time, or she did an excellent job of capturing the joy of the day. I'm guessing it was the later.

Oh, she she got us our photos in RECORD time. I was amazed at the speed at which she returned our sneak peek and our fully edited photos. She is professional and responsive. Highly recommended!

Sent on 06/22/2018

Devon Rowland Photography FAQ

• What is the starting price for your wedding photography services? $ 1,500.00
  • What is the price of your most popular wedding package? $ 3,400.00
  • Which of the following are included in the price of your most popular wedding package? Engagement Shoot, High-Res Images, One Event / Day, Digital Files
  • What photography services do you offer? Additional Hours, Boudoir Shoot, Engagement Shoot, High-Res Images, Liability Insurance, One Event / Day, Second Shooter, Trash The Dress
  • What photography items do you offer? Albums, Canvas, Digital Files, Prints

• Whole Heart Studios
    Whole Heart Studios Wedding Videographers

We had the pleasure of working alongside Devon at a wedding in September of 2017. Devon was awesome to be around and work with. Her willingness to work together (she was the photographer and we were the videographers on this day) and ensure that the couple was well taken care of on both of our ends was amazing. Devon worked with us to ensure that we were able to have time with the couple to get our footage for their film throughout the day without question - even in the rain! We recommend Devon.

• 2815 Mockingbird Ct Blacksburg, VA, 21401 See on map