The Other Barn at Oakland Mills

Responsiveness
Professionalism
Value
Flexibility

This venue was great. We had looked at tons of places and this had everything we needed. There is a nice outdoor courtyard for ceremonies as well as a room inside for a rain backup. The reception hall itself is beautiful. It has a huge vaulted ceiling reminiscent of the original barn. There is also a nice kitchen, and commercial ice machine which is great for the caterer or if you are going to DIY with food and beverage. The venue has plenty of room for 100-150. Anything over that might start to be a little squeeze.

The Other Barn staff is very friendly and catered to all of our needs. We had a few special requests which they were easily able to accommodate.

A few downsides were that it is in a shopping center, right next to a bank and grocery store, among other things. However, it's columbia so its also pretty discreet. There was plenty of parking and we had no issues. Don't let that drive you away! Also, the restrooms are downstairs from where the reception is, which could be an issue for elderly or disabled. There is an elevator for disabled people and an easy to access staircase that isn't steep or too narrow.

Overall, great experience and we would recommend this venue to anyone.

Private User
10/12/2014

For our wedding ceremony and reception we were looking for a beautiful and affordable venue - The Other Barn met both of these! We lucked into a gorgeous fall day, which made our ceremony in the outdoor Courtyard beautiful! Our reception in The Loft of the modernized barn was also lovely. They provide and set-up tables and chairs for both the ceremony and reception, but you (or your planner/vendors) have to decorate and place the table settings. Susan was great to work with and she answered all of our many questions. Everything was set-up as we agreed to when we arrived and after adding our decorations (following the venue rules) everything looked beautiful and better than we had imagined! The Other Barn is a great venue at a very reasonable price!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

This is a great location for a wedding reception. You get the barn atmosphere without the big barn price. There is plenty of parking and it's easy to get to. Also the pricing is very fair. One downside if set up is only day of as most Fridays they have other events; in addition you would have to pay for setup time as well. However, everything was how I wanted it and it was a wonderful venue for our reception!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

This venue is truly a gem, hidden right in the middle of Columbia. The venue first caught our eye because of its location and its affordability. At a fraction of other venues' costs, we were able to book The Other Barn for our courtyard wedding and loft reception. Susan was a pleasure to work with and took all of our questions and requests in stride. We were slightly worried about noise and/or onlookers during our Friday evening ceremony, but neither was an issue whatsoever. The courtyard was lovely, and as long as we followed the rules (no permanent means of attachment), we were able to decorate the trellis beautifully. I would highly recommend this venue to others!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We used the courtyard and the loft for our ceremony and reception respectively and loved the space! We were a bit slow with turning in some of the information (we made a very late decision to use the courtyard), but Susan was very accommodating! The room and ceremony area were all set up by the time the caterer's arrived which was great. Given the location of the venue, were were worried there would be a lot of noise and gawkers, but that wasn't the case at all! It's also one of the cheaper venues to rent in the area which is great for those couples on a budget.

wifeheather
08/10/2013

Susan and the rest of the staff at The Other Barn were FANTASTIC to work with. We had the option to do the ceremony in the courtard on site, however, being August we had enough room to do our ceremony and reception inside the facility. We were able to use the courtyard for photos.
They provided us with an hour during the week before the wedding to allow us to do a rehersal and on the day of the wedding, we arrived and all of the tables and chairs were already set up exactly the way we wanted!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

I found The Other Barn when I googled "barn weddings in MD",and I'm really glad I found it! The staff was great to work with, but Susan who is in charge of all wedding related things is out if the office a lot, so she doesn't always respond to emails quickly. Despite that, when it comes down to the big day, Susan is very helpful and quick to respond. I think I probably sent her about 15 emails between Friday and Saturday (we had weather related issues) and she responded to every single one. I looked around at several other venues, and for the price you really can't beat The Other Barn. They provide reception tables and chairs when you rent the space, and they will set them out for you according to your floor plan. I didn't like the look of the chairs that they had, so we rented other ones. They will also provide ceremony chairs, but there is a fee for that. These are the only things they provide, so everything else will have to be brought in by your other vendors. Overall I had a wonderful experience, if you want a casual wedding this is the place for you!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Event Rentals & Photobooths

Ms. Charlotte, Reggie, and Susan were all X-factors in making my day a success and I am forever grateful!

~*DesigningBride12*~
09/01/2012

I held My cocktail hour anda reception at the Other Barn. I have to say that the staff at omca is very attentive. Mrs. Susan and Mrs. Charlette made sure that My day went off smoothly. I had to make.some changes to My original plan to maintain my budget and they made it s very smooth transition. Mrs. Susan come ups with a way yo save me some money so that is always a Plus. I was a diy bride with a doc and I only wish I could have had more setup time before the event. We.could not get.in before 2 and the event started at 5. I Also wish the air conditioning was cooler because once the Party started it was a little warm. Overall I had a great time, the guests loved it, the decor was.amazing and they process the security depósito redunda really quickly. I had it back with on a week after the event

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

My husband and I had our wedding ceremony and reception at The Other Barn in the Loft. We were planning a courtyard ceremony, but due to the extreme heat, decided to hold it inside. We were still able to get some very nice pictures in the courtyard. We were absolutely thrilled with how everything turned out!

The Loft is lovely - high ceilings and a very pretty interior - much nicer than your average ballroom. It has a huge dance floor and is very spacious. We had plenty of room for our 80 guests. I believe they say the room can fit 180 people; however, I think it would be tight for more than 100-120.

We worked with Susan Azoulay, who was so helpful throughout our planning and right up to the wedding day. The support staff there on the day were great; bringing in some fans when the room was getting too hot and they were very communicative.

The best thing about The Other Barn was the value. It was much less expensive than most other venues in the Baltimore area. The rental price includes guest tables and chairs. Their prices may change, but we paid ~$1100 for 7 1/2 hours of use on a Sunday. The also allow you to use any caterer you choose or to self-cater and provide your own alcohol, which is a huge savings!! They do have a full kitchen on-site and there is a small bridal room you can use to get ready.

I would recommend The Other Barn to anyone looking for an affordable, beautiful, flexible location in the Baltimore area.

Anonymous
2+ years ago

This venue definetly allows the bride with on a budget to have a Moet wedding on a beer budget. They have a very beautiful courtyard for outdoor ceremonies which unfortunately due to the weather I was unable to have my ceremony outside as planned but the staff was very helpful in accomodating us to having to move everything indoors, also a plus was that we did not have to pay an additional fee for use of the courtyard but having to pay for a required insurance and a fee to rent the chairs for the outdoor ceremony made up for that. My only gripe was the fact that I was under the impression that the cost for ceremony chair rental was included in the venue rental and did not find out otherwise until after I had already paid a deposit. A bonus for us was that you could bring in any caterer of your choice or even make your own food. The chairs could use a huge upgrade but we were able to cover them. Susan was mostly pleasant and very helpful during the planning process to answer the million questions that I had.

Anonymous
2+ years ago

The other Barn staff is amazing. Susan, Charlotte, and Will. There were other's but those 3 I had the most interaction with. The other barn is a great venue. The price is very affordable, It can accommodate max of 220 but i think that is without the catering/dj/anything else that you will need. I was able to get 20 tables that seated 8 people each and a moon table for the Mr and I. We had our wedding in the courtyard which is amazing in June and July. They have flowers that spring up for all seasons. I was able to fit 175 chairs in the courtyard, still had plenty of aisle space. Music/DJ can set up outside as long as the music isn't rowdy. We had classical. All I can really say is that they did an amazing job with the whole process, communication was fluent and they were very helpful and friendly.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

I chose The Other Barn as my reception venue for several reasons, among them: location, the uniqueness of the venue, affordability (in an expensive area to have a wedding), a venue that allows everyone to be seated together in one room, and great reviews on Wedding Wire.

It certainly met all my expectations. After visiting the venue, I knew it would work perfectly. It even has an elevator for vendors to use to get things up to The Loft, or for older guests who can't use the stairs. After selecting a venue, though, the real kicker is customer service and the responsiveness of the coordinator working with you. Susan is a pleasure to work with. She's very detail-oriented and responsive, which offers much peace-of-mind when you're planning.

If you're looking for a unique venue for 150 guests (or less) that is also affordable, I would definitely recommend The Other Barn.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The Other Barn was a great location for us to have our wedding and reception. The space was great as were the staff.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The Other Barn was a unique and adorable location for my October wedding. The staff was incredibly helpful from the time I booked the venue to the very end of my wedding night, and they did not hold our catering disaster (see Bombay Nights) against us.

Hope & John
1 Review
2+ years ago

The venue was beautiful and the staff went above and beyond out of there way to make our day perfect!