South Carolina Aquarium

Value
Flexibility
Shannon
03/07/2015

This was a perfect venue for our wedding and we were extremely pleased with the service we received and the beauty of the location. All our guests loved the venue, and the children definitely enjoyed watching all the sea life in the tanks. It provided a beautiful backdrop and felt very comfortable for a fun party!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

A lovely venue for our Friday night welcome dinner before the wedding. The staff was professional and responsive. And it was just a lovely, unique venue

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location

We reserved the Harbor Deck/ Executive Ballroom for our April wedding and it was the perfect choice! The staff was very helpful and great to work with. We had a huge request for our pictures and they made it happen for us! I would recommend this venue for anyone wanting a wonderful memory!

amanda
10/19/2013

Having our wedding at the SC Aquarium was a dream come true! Samantha and Brian were true professionals and made it very easy to plan our wedding. They were very responsive to all of our questions, and helped us find mutually acceptable compromises for things that we wanted to do (flower petals, tables placements, etc.) The venue itself is breathtaking, and you couldn't ask for more awesome dance partners - fish, sharks, turtles, lemurs - OH MY! The outdoor veranda was so gorgeous at night and provided the perfect backdrop for our photos. We absolutely adored the SC Aquarium and HIGHLY recommend it to everyone!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The SC Aquarium is definitely the place to have your wedding! Samantha and Brian were amazing! They made sure that all my requests were accommodated and that my wedding was one to remember. The only thing that I would change is that I wish I had known that there was another wedding going on, on the roof of the venue. This would have allowed us to better coordinate some of our vendors. However, they still provided stellar service because my guest had no idea there was another wedding happening around the same time. Awesome Job!!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Having both our ceremony and reception at the SCA was awesome! Our guests loved the uniqueness of the venue and how much fun they could have exploring the exhibits. My husband and I did not want a traditional setting and we got just what we wanted. The backdrop for our ceremony was awesome, overlooking the river with the Arthur Ravenel Bridge in the background. The service they provided was great, and I would recommend them to any bride-to-be!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We had our Ceremony & Reception at the SC Aquarium. It is a fabulous place to have an event. Our guest were speechless at how magnificent and unique the venue was.

The entire staff at the aquarium are very helpful and always there to answer all of our questions and are as accommodating as possible to our every request.

The Future Mrs. Ray
06/16/2012

The best place to have a wedding!!!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Wonderful Venue! I was worried at first about separating the tables for our 250 seated guests between floors, but we have heard NOTHING BUT COMPLIMENTS! Each room is so unique and wonderful that it was just beautiful and encouraged walking around and movement. A real plus for a wedding. And a big thank you to Samantha for all her help. Did I mention it was WONDERFUL? :)

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We had a small wedding, just 65 guests and we choose the third floor terrace and executive room of the South Carolina Aquarium. Everything turned out so beautiful and perfect! I was able to choose my own vendors and they worked great with them all. There was a great backup plan in case it rained, thankfully it did not. However it was a little colder than we thought, so we were able to add heater braziers the day of the wedding and it worked out perfectly! Everyone stayed warm when they were outside as long as they were close to a heater, but it still was wonderful! The price was great and the view was amazing! Can't get a better deal in downtown Charleston!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We had our wedding and reception on the third floor terrace. So lovely. The view is AMAZING!! It was raining on our wedding day, but we still had the wedding outside on the terrace. I didn't want to miss the view. The space is easy to use, and get to via an elevator. You don't see any of the actual aquarium, but you do see the bird sanctuary and the top of the tanks. Restroom facilities are nice and there is a seperate one that can be used by the bridal party. Holly is so very easy to work with and there are lots of spots around the grounds to take photos. All in all a fun wedding location.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

They allow us to take our photo there

Services Used: Jewelry, Unique Services (Other)

The location is beautiful and Samantha was very helpful. I scored them 4.5 on flexibility due to the fact they have some limitations on decor and such in the interest of their animal safety. As it IS an aquarium, we totally understood that. However, it is something one would want to be aware of when booking a venue.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The SC Aquarium is absolutely gorgeous! I can't think of a more beautiful venue to have a wedding reception in!

David
03/20/2015
4.7

Guests have called my wedding the "best" and "most unique" wedding they have ever attended. I would recommend the South Carolina Aquarium to anyone looking to put on a great event. Guests who weren't directly engaged in eating or dancing were able to tour the aquarium and see the sights. The only drawback is that you must wait for the aquarium to close to the public before you can set up, which means some last minute arrangements and stress. My now wife was to walk down the aisle at 6:30 PM and the aquarium didn't completely close till 6 PM. Still, everything went swimmingly (pun totally intended) and we had a wedding to remember.

4.2

The Upside: We just had our reception at the South Carolina Aquarium. The view is really beautiful, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better one in Charleston. The team there is very easy to work with, they responded to every question and call almost immediately. Of course it makes for very beautiful pictures because of the vibrant colors and displays. Our guests (99% from out of town), were very impressed with the whole space, and many told us that it was the most unique venue they'd ever experienced a wedding in. The kids (about 20, ages 1-11) absolutely loved it; we set up a classroom as a "kids zone" and we provided two qualified babysitters (background checked) to watch them for the entire reception. We just provided some games, coloring books, colorful bracelets and a fun kids menu and they were perfectly happy the entire night (their parents were very, very grateful for this! We highly recommend it).

The downside(s):The main hall is very, very large, so it is difficult to decorate without having the whole thing swallowed up by the space. We had special lighting, thinking that it would help define the space, but even that was lost.
Photography is difficult because of the special lighting in each space and (again) because of how large a space it is. Definitely check with your photographer to make sure they've shot there before and are prepared with the correct equipment.
The floor setup was difficult to arrange. My mother said it best, moving people around in that space is "like trying to herd cats". Because it's such a large and different venue, your guests are going to want to walk around and see all or some of the displays before settling in. I don't think I ever once had every guest in one room, which I was hoping for, for a large group shot, and it just can't be arranged in a space so large and engaging.

If you're looking for a unique, never-going-to-forge-it space, than the South Carolina Aquarium is your venue. Best for large parties, especially with children. The floor plan isn't impossible, but it is a challenge. Overall, it was worth working for, and the team there makes it as comfortable as possible for you. I probably wouldn't choose it again if I had a choice, but it was definitely beautiful and we're still hearing from guests how much they enjoyed the anti-cookie-cutter setup.