Dj Shakey - **Top Rated & Affordable**

Dj Shakey - **Top Rated & Affordable**

NY / Brooklyn / Metro Area, NY 11205 | map
Genres: 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, Acoustic, Big Band, Classic...
Liability Insurance: Yes

Value:
Flexibility:
(5.0 / 5.0)
  • Flexibility: 5.0

DJ Shakey is the best DJ we have ever met! She kept the crowd at our wedding moving at all times and was right on the money with her song choices! If you are having a wedding, sweet 16, etc, you can't go wrong with DJ Shakey! We never wanted the party to end!

• Wedding: 12/06/2014
4.8/5.0
  • Value: 4.0
  • Flexibility: 5.0

DJ Shakey (AKA Julie) was one of the only Dj's we spoke with, after a recommendation from our photographer. Her prices were reasonable, and we loved that she wasn't a cheesey-macarena-party favor kind of DJ. She totally understood what we wanted, and asked us questions about our music that we hadn't even thought of.

By the end of the night, we had our friends and big Italian family in a huge circle singing, "When the Moon Hits Your Eye (That's Amore)." It's one of my favorite memories of the whole day (besides actually getting married), and we owe it's spontaneous wonderfulness all to Julie.

We've had so many guests remark on how our wedding was so fun, and the best dance party. Mission accomplished! Thanks Julie!

• Wedding: 10/11/2014
  • Flexibility: 5.0

DJ Shakey really made our reception a party! Our guests were really engaged and on the dance floor! Even my mom was out busting a move. From dance circles to conga lines that looped around the entire venue (beyond dance floor), our guests were feeling the music and told us what an amazing time they had ("best wedding ever!").

Julie was awesome to work with from start to finish, from engaging us and working in our songs (from some pop faves, to Nigerian and Ukrainian music for our respective heritages). She also worked with us to arrange for our entrance dances and made some ad hoc adjustments when we realized a few forgotten details day-of. Highly recommend her!

• Wedding: 09/13/2014
  • Flexibility: 5.0

If you want the best dance party of your life, DJ Shakey will give it to you! This part of our wedding was the most important to us and we're so thrilled that we worked with her. My husband and I both love music and had a lot of specific ideas in mind for what we wanted played - concentrated mostly on oldies and 80s pop. She completely accommodated our every wish. She was also a real joy to work with along the way; we had a great time chatting with her. Her love for music shines through and she is so knowledgable about it and can pull off any genre or theme you can think of. Julie also helped us deal with any sound system needs with our venue which was extremely helpful. Our guests - young and older - were all really pleased with her choices. We hope to attend another party with DJ Shakey in the near future!

• Wedding: 08/08/2014
  • Flexibility: 5.0

DJ Shakey is awesome. We wanted a full on dance party at our wedding, and we shopped around a bit for DJs, only to find a lot of commercial companies. Shakey is a one-woman show, was great at feeling the vibe of our party, and did a great job of satisfying all the various age groups. Everyone had so much fun! She is also just a really cool person, was very responsive and took care of everything. I highly recommend her!!

• Wedding: 08/02/2014
  • Flexibility: 5.0

DJ Shakey was an awesome addition to our wedding! We really wanted a big party where everyone danced and had fun all night and that is exactly what Julie gave us. Throughout the whole process she was super responsive and knowledgeable. She had worked our venue a few times which really helped out and took a lot of the guessing out for us.

We highly recommend Julie!

• Wedding: 06/14/2014
4.8/5.0
  • Value: 4.0
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Julie has awesome music taste and knowledge (and a huge library). She was understated, professional, and kept the focus on the music and kept the party going strong. She was also responsive, friendly, and on top of all of the little details before the event. Our guests kept complimenting our music selection, and we had to admit we didn't choose almost any of it! Highly recommended.

• Wedding: Recently Married
1 Review
  • Flexibility: 5.0

DJ Shakey did such a great job at my sister's wedding after party last year that I asked her to do my own! She was extremely easy to coordinate with and very responsive. She provided a music worklist, allowing you to request songs and artists, which she stuck to during the after party. She had everyone dancing until the last song!

• Wedding: Recently Married
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Julie is an amazing DJ with a great selection of music. She really understood the flow that we wanted for our wedding and delivered on keeping the music at the pace we wanted. Everyone raved about the music selection. I gave Julie mostly a general outline and let her DJ skills shine. She really made our wedding day the party we wanted. Thanks Julie!

• Wedding: 04/18/2014
M
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Julie was super professional. Playing to a variety of age ranges and tastes, she was able to pack the dance floor almost immediately and was able to keep people there. Julie was accommodating to guests' requests without derailing the overall inclusive and banging vibe she established. She instructed the crowd to join in after the first dance had reached it's emotional peak and at created an unexpected moment where my wife and i looked up and were surrounded by loved ones. She played all of the right songs at the right times. Solid jams, solid person. THANKS.

1 Review
4.9/5.0
  • Responsiveness: 4.5
  • Flexibility: 5.0

A friend recommended DJ Shakey to us, and I am so glad she did -- and I, without a doubt, will recommend her to others! She was so helpful and on top of things, especially in those last couple of days when we (the couple) were stressing about last-minute details.

As for the music itself -- let's just say the moment when our first dance finished and she immediately segued into "I Wanna Dance with Somebody" by Whitney Houston, I knew it was going to be a perfect night. Her transitions were flawless. The dance floor was full all night, and everyone has been raving to us about how great the music was.

It was a perfect night, accentuated with perfect music from DJ Shakey. (By the way, her prices are extremely reasonable!)

• Flexibility: 5.0

Julie (DJ Shakey) did a phenomenal job! She made the process easy, understood exactly what we wanted and executed it perfectly, and was fun and easy to work with all along the way. She has an expansive knowledge of different styles of music, and is versatile and knowledgeable. I would recommend her to anyone.

• Wedding: 09/29/2013

BEST. DJ. EVER.

My husband and I have very eclectic and non-mainstream tastes in music and pretty much despise modern dance/pop music, so we were wondering exactly how this whole process would go. We know we wanted an awesome dance party with music that people knew and would dance to, but didn't want to resort to the stuff we didn't like. PLUS, it was on a farm, so we really wanted to keep a laid back, Americana folk kind of vibe during the cocktail hour and dinner, so I knew our DJ really had to be comfortable with more than the mainstream playlists. I knew DJ Shakey because she had spun at a bunch of parties for my roller derby league, played great eclectic music and was always able to keep people dancing until the wee hours.

When it was time to make a song list, she sent us a 4 page list of bands/songs and asked us to highlight a sampling of the kinds of music we liked... and our choices were all over the place. We had reggae, Motown, Parliament, bluegrass/folk, The Rolling Stones, Price, T-Rex, RUN DMC, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Led Zeppelin, Loretta Lynn. Seriously. All over the place. I was waiting for a phone call from her telling me that we'd have to mainstream a bit if I wanted it to be coherent, but the opposite happened! She called to check in a few days before the wedding, and told me how excited she was to work with such a unique mix of music, and that it wasn't often that people veered this way. Phew.

And the night was STELLAR. She played all the random music we had picked and put it together FLAWLESSLY. I don't think anybody (young or old) left the dance floor, including my 90 year old grandmother! She was also very accommodating in setting up more than one set of speakers for the different locations on the farm.

Accommodating, super friendly, professional, very reasonably $, and she even got in the photo booth! :) I still have people asking me who the amazing DJ was and that it was the best wedding they'd ever been to.

• Wedding: 09/21/2013
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Perfect in every way. She got right back to us and kept the dance floor packed all night! She also has an extensive knowledge of all types of music, including indie and nonmainstream genres. She is extremely professional as well. You would be lucky to have her.

• Flexibility: 5.0

Julie was an amazing DJ. I had originally booked her for our September wedding but had to move the date up 3 months at the last minute. She was totally understanding and also happened to be free for the new June date. Even though I never met Julie until the actual wedding, communication with her was seamless. She completely understood everyone's tastes in music - which was tricky considering the guests ranged from 1 - 90 years old and were a mix of Indian, Pakistani, and American. Her transitions from Bollywood music to popular dance music to the Beatles and Frank Sinatra were awesome. All the guests loved her. Julie was even super accommodating with my extremely last minute requests (as in a few hours before the wedding) when it came to introducing people, speakers, etc. For the cocktail hour, I sent Julie some youtube clips of what I was looking for and she quickly understood the vibe and downloaded even better songs than what I suggested. I definitely definitely definitely recommend her!

• Flexibility: 5.0

Working with DJ Shakey was a great experience. We were married in a private home, and the owner was understandably concerned about having quality vendors in her home and also late-night noise affecting the neighbors. DJ Shakey quickly took care of our owner's concerns and made the entire process so much easier.

My partner and I didn't want to map out the entire night of music, but with just a few suggestions, DJ Shakey turned out songs that were perfect.

Additionally, DJ Shakey worked well with all the other vendors, and rolled with the flow. In any event, details change, and not a single feather was ruffled. So great.

In closing, my partner and I wanted to work with someone that was talented, professional and level-headed. DJ Shakey is all of those things. I would recommend her for any occasion. She contributed to one awesome wedding.

• Wedding: 06/08/2013
201-679-9736
Please let this vendor know you found them on WeddingWire

My Awards