Birchtree Catering
Locally Minded, Seasonally Inspired
Globe Dye Works
4500 Worth Street
Philadelphia, PA 19124  | map
Catering services: Buffet, Cocktail Reception, Family Style, French...
Bar services: Limited Bar, Open Bar

(4.9/5.0)
Flexibility:

Sort By:

Private User 4 Reviews
We used birchtree's catering and decor services for our August 2014 wedding at Colonial Dames. Our wedding day went so smoothly - it was perfect! -- and a lot of credit goes to Birchtree.

Catering: We knew from the minute we met Rasa and Allegra that they would be perfect for us. They are so down-to-earth, very professional, not pushy in the least. They listened to what kind of reception we wanted to have and, although a little non-traditional, they totally made it happen. We had a stationed dinner - and chose a summer feast theme - they totally nailed it. They helped us work within the budget and created a fantastic, unique menu - we couldn't believe how much we could get for the money we spent. Everything was delicious and our guests LOVED the food.

Decor: we went back and forth about whether we should use decor services, but after speaking w/ Jenna and seeing pictures of the events she and her team did, we decided to go for it. Jenna was really great to work with -- we communicated a lot through pinterest boards and she totally understood our vision. We had an idea of how we wanted things to look, but Jenna took our ideas and made it into something tangible. They created our signage, backdrop for our dessert display, a flower arch for our ceremony, and just made everything EXACTLY how we wanted it. They paid attention to EVERY detail.

Alcohol: B/c our venue allowed us to bring our own alcohol, we worked with their head bartender to pick signature cocktails and mixers and they helped us with a bar buying guide. This was SO incredibly helpful so we didn't end up with not enough of 1 thing or another.

Coordination: We had both allegra and natalie help coordinate the day and it went off w/o a hitch. they were so helpful - ready with everything, including a stain pen for when I got something on my dress and a sewing kit when I needed help with my bustle.

I cannot say enough about Birchtree! If you go with them, you will not be disappointed.
Wedding: Recently Married
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Birchtree was simply amazing. Our wedding reception was for 90 people, and Birchtree provided multiple services: general coordination, decor, lighting, rentals, and all food. They were patient with all our questions and changes, and were quick to provide recommendations for other services we were in need of. Simply put, we had not a care in the world at the event (other than to have a good time), as we knew we were in good hands with Birchtree there to handle the "normal" stuff, as well as the little surprises. And their food: amazing! We were immediately impressed at the tasting, and even more so at the reception. And supporting a local, woman-owned business that utilizes locally grown/sourced products was an added bonus for us.
Wedding: 08/15/2014
Services Used: Catering, Favors & Gifts, Flowers, Wedding Planning, Lighting & Decor, Event Rentals & Photobooths, Unique Services (Other)
  • Flexibility:  5.0
I planned my wedding in 21 days and found Birchtree just weeks before my wedding. They were available for my date and worked quickly to get us everything we wanted. We had passed appetizers and flavored popcorn for the cocktail hour. For dinner we had a 3 course meal prepared on the spot. Guests were able to place their order and then get their dinner once the pasta course had ended. All the food was fresh and delicious. A few of our vendors said it was the best food they ever had at a wedding. The experience was great from start to finish.
Thanks birchtree!
Wedding: 06/22/2014

Ainsley 3 Reviews
Birchtree made our wedding - Jenna and Rasa together were able to help us in putting together an event that we felt truly reflected who we are as a couple, and the entire day was so much better than we could have ever imagined.

Rasa is an incredible chef and put together a menu for us that was incredible - both the quality and variety of the food, the stunning presentation and the extremely high quality and professionalism of the staff was evident every second of the event. Rasa's flexibility in scheduling 2 tastings as well as working with us to develop a menu that we were thrilled with made the event a true joy, and every morsel that went into our guests mouths was excellent.

Jenna is an event visionary - she met with us multiple times, was always extremely responsive via email and phone, and her ideas, vision and execution were all extraordinary. She pulled together all of our ideas (some that we had better formed than others!) and translated them into a sophisticated, seamless, beautiful and cohesive event. Every detail was well considered and perfectly executed, from the cocktail napkins to the bar set-ups and signage - it was everything I could have hoped for and more. Jenna's design work (both in terms of printed material, signage and decor) was perfect, and she worked extremely efficiently and quickly - a perfect combination to keep me 110% confident that I did not have to worry about anything.

Jenna and Rasa also worked seamlessly to coordinate our other vendors, from rentals to venue to florist to our band - my husband and I were completely relaxed and able to enjoy each moment of the wedding day knowing that everything was taken care of. Jenna and Rasa's calm demeanor and "nothing is a problem" approach also really helped set the tone for the planning process and our wedding day.

I cannot imagine having pulled off the wedding of our dreams without these two and their extraordinary team - we won't have another event without them!
Wedding: 05/17/2014
Services Used: Catering, Lighting & Decor
  • Flexibility:  5.0
We loved working with Birchtree for our wedding! They were great partners in the planning process from the start when they helped us think through which venue was perfect for us. They met with us many times over the planning process to look at the venue, pick out rentals, provide suggestions on other vendors to work with, and design the day. Jenna's design aesthetic and style are lovely and we were completely comfortable putting our wedding in their hands! Everything was set up beautifully for the wedding. We really appreciated their flexibility around our DIY projects and incorporating family traditions into the event.

We were impressed with the sample menus and even more wowed when we had the tasting. Everything they serve is local, seasonal and made from scratch. It is so far from traditional wedding food. We were really excited that their menu included items from both our family traditions, like pierogies and Pocono trout. Chef Rasa even worked with us to create a dish that my partner described to her - it was exciting to have a hand crafted dish on our menu! The guests loved the food and are still raving about it.

Allegra was a great wedding coordinator. She was a calm presence the day of the wedding and gently kept us on track throughout the event. She even saved the day when the prior day's downpour created a muddy mess under the reception tent - she figured out how to fix it without passing any extra stress on to us.

The servers and bar staff were efficient, friendly and blended in. They were on top of everything, keeping tables clean and wine glasses filled.

We want to throw another party so we can have Birchtree cater it again!
Wedding: 05/17/2014
  • Flexibility:  5.0
What can I really say other than AMAZING!! From start to finish Jenna and Chef Rasa were everything a Bride and Groom could ask for. From trying to work within our budget to taking my zany suggestions during the tasting to any thing we really needed. The decor Jenna and I spoke about came to life in such a beautiful way that complimented our personalities and our vision. We wanted an ethereal, romantic evening that really focused on our families and us as a unit and that is exactly what we got. The food was fantastic and our guests raved about it all. Having a seasonal menu really lets the flavor shine through and adds that extra umph to your meal. I would recommend Birchtree to any and everyone and would certainly work with them again. Part of what made working with this team so great was that they made it so we could enjoy our event. We did not have to worry about anything at all. A lot of couples say they don't get to eat or really enjoy their day but that was not our experience and I attribute that to Brichtree. I guarantee you will not be disappointed in your decision to work with this fabulous team.
Wedding: 04/19/2014

Private User 1 Reviews
I cannot express how much I loved Birchtree Catering for my wedding.

For any of the ladies our there who want to have a unique, almost anthroplogie-type wedding, these ladies will make it happen.

The food was delicious (Rasa is an amazing chef). The wedding day ran smooth (Allegra is tightly organized and professional). Everything looked gorgeous (Jenna has a flawless eye for design). I was as equally as stunned as my guests.

As any bride would, I felt stressed and overwhelmed when I started planning, and after meeting Birchtree everything fell into place. I got butterflies any time we met. They were always on top of everything during the whole process.

Being an Art Director as my profession, I really had a specific vision (anybody who knows graphic designers and art directors know they're anal about detail).

Birchtree really made it all possible. I love you ladies!
Wedding: 1+ year ago
Services Used: Catering, Flowers, Wedding Planning, Lighting & Decor, Party Supplies, Unique Services (Other)
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Last weekend we got married at Awbury Arboretum and Birchtree Catering absolutely transformed the place into a wonderland of rustic, vintage elegance. From the moment we started working with Birchtree, Jenna, Allegra, and Chef Rasa were extremely attentive to every detail of the wedding - from the fantastic fall feast to the beautiful flowers. There were so many details that we hadn't even considered, but they were so on top of it - giving us our options without pressuring us at all. They were patient and kind and just so competent and talented. They went above and beyond in every way. We could not recommend them more highly.
Wedding: 10/12/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
We interviewed several caterers and Birchtree was organized, creative in the process and enthusiastic. My daughter and now husband and his mom all met to discuss having the rehearsal dinner in our home. They wanted a big family style rsit down dinner for 75 people. They also wanted treasured family recipes. Even though it was in our home they gave me total confidence from the moment they arrived and I have never been more delighted and at ease. In addition they came Sunday morning and set up a brunch for over 100. Each person was easy competent and delightful to have. I can't say enough for the exceptional quality, originality and graciousness of this caterer.
Wedding: 10/11/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
We had an AMAZING time at our own wedding- and we have Birchtree to thank for it! I was daunted by a 6-month planning window and had few ideas about what I wanted other than delicious food and good cocktails (flowers, maybe?), but Allegra, Rasa, and Jenna took me and my fiancée under their wings, guided us through the entire process, and got much more out of our budget than we had ever hoped. Birchtree is so much more than a caterer. They had worked with our venue, the Colonial Dames, dozens of times, and they had useful suggestions for everything from the timeline, layout of chairs and tables, choices for food and drink, fun surprises for our guests (sparkler sendoff!) and so many other items that took all of the stress out of planning a center-city wedding:
- Making quick decisions on things that would have taken me days- what will the bridal and bridesmaid bouquets be? what will the centerpieces look like? how will the décor all fit together? Jenna was simply amazing, delivering a fantastic design with my minimal input (umm, I like white flowers, magenta, and vintage-y stuff), while perfectly incorporating the few pieces I wanted control of, like a fun handmade cake topper and chalkboard-style programs.
-Bailing out the bride- when I found out with only a week of notice that my cake-maker needed a cake stand ASAP (who knew they didn't just give you one?), Jenna and Rasa borrowed one for me and delivered it to the bakery so I didn't have to take another half-day from work.
-Constant contact and support- Allegra and Jenna stayed through my wedding to make sure everything went so smoothly, feed me and my fiancée, and secretly sneak us non-alcoholic drinks. The bar staff and servers were professional, skilled, sweet, and contributed to everyone having a wonderful time.
With their warmth and skill and wanting the best for their clients, working with Birchtree was like having a close friend take charge of our wedding. Thanks, team!
Wedding: 10/04/2013
Services Used: Catering, Flowers, Lighting & Decor
  • Flexibility:  5.0
We just had Birchtree Catering do our wedding extravaganza last weekend at my summer camp in the Pocono Mts & we don't have the words to truly express how amazing they were. From the moment I called them I knew I was in the hands of awesome, hip, smart, loving and creative people. Jenna literally made my wedding pinterest board COME TO LIFE. Even at our tasting she had set up my mini wedding for me and Chef Rasa's food blew us all away. Every morsel was exsquisite!!! The attention to detail, thought & care they put into everytyhing they do is absolutely unparalleled. On our wedding day, they pulled of an absolutely enchanting vision and paired it with a feast !!!! Jenna understood exactly what I was going for and made it happen times a million. The compliments we received on the decor and food are too many to count !!!! Everyone, even my friends who are planners and chefs themselves, were completely IN AWE of Birchtree's work and salivating over Chef Rasa's food. Ummm bacon cups with molasses beans?? I'll have 10 !! ( I think I did ) Everyone was fabulous & about a dozen guests couldn't stop saying 'It looks like Wes Anderson directed this wedding!!!!' which is excatly what I wanted :). ~~ NO ONE IN THE WORLD IS BETTER THAN BIRCHTREE CATERING!!!!! Jenna, Chef Rasa & Allegra .... Bravo to you all ... we are forever in debt to you and are honored to now call you friends. To many happily ever afters to come,
Maria & Terry Latham
Wedding: 09/14/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Birchtree handled every aspect of our September wedding, from catering and day-of coordination to event design. Since we had our wedding at a private horse farm in Malvern, we had to start from scratch and bring in everything. I cannot stress enough how AMAZING it was working with Jenna, Rasa, and Allegra to put together the most magical day we could have imagined.

I had very specific ideas from the very beginning about the day, and the Birchtree team worked incredibly hard to make it all a reality. Rasa put together an amazing, fresh, cohesive menu reflecting our tastes and all of the amazing produce available seasonally. She listened to all of our wishes and brought her own great ideas to the table-the result was a delicious family-style dinner that our guests are still raving about!

Jenna and I worked very closely together on décor--we had conversations, poured over Pinterest, and made inspiration boards, but I was still floored at how beautiful everything looked on the day. She hand-made runners for our tables, scoured markets for the perfect vintage garden cart, and spent hours hanging lights and lanterns across our tent to turn it into a beautiful, magical space. Every detail was impeccable--she has an amazing eye, enviable DIY skills, and great attention to detail.

On the day of, everything went off without a hitch! They worked so hard so we could just relax and enjoy. The best part about Birchtree is how wonderful they were to work with throughout the entire process. They were patient, accommodating, mindful of our budget, and totally understanding when I changed my mind about something a few weeks before the event! They were so invested in mamaking our day incredible, and their care, personal attention, and thoughtfulness was so appreciated. I would highly recommend Birchtree to anyone looking to throw a beautiful, personal, and incredibly fun party!
Wedding: 09/07/2013
Services Used: Catering, Wedding Planning
  • Flexibility:  5.0
My wife and I are both artists in northern Philadelphia who finally decided to tie the knot in the fall of 2013. We are both very visual people we knew that we wanted a venue that looked amazing with great food/atmosphere while working on a modest budget. Our first contact with Birchtree was Allegra who immediately made my wife and I feel much more at ease about the huge event that we were about to embark on. I could tell immediately that she was not only experienced with food and catering but was overly knowledgeable about all of the details and timing that go along with a wedding...which in this case just happened to be in a 150 year old factory boiler room that we converted into three spaces for the ceremony, cocktail hour and reception. Allegra helped develop the vision for how the wedding would function in the space and when the time came she made sure everything ran like a well-oiled machine. The food was delicious, everything happened in the order it was suppose to, the staff was well dressed and friendly, and Rasa made sure every single ounce of food that came from the kitchen was prepared to perfection! I can’t imagine having had the wedding without the Birchtree crew. Check out photos on instagram at #globedyeworkswedding
Wedding: 08/31/2013

Private User 1 Reviews
Birchtree was a delight. Delicious food, creative ideas and presentation, a successful event!!
Allegra was flexible and helpful at every turn.
We recommend them most highly!!
Wedding: 1+ year ago
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Birchtree catered the wedding of our first daughter last Saturday and we could not be more pleased with the crucial role that Birchtree played in making this day all we could hope for.

My researcher-daughter identified them and arranged for us to meet with the owner and manager, Allegra. From that meeting on, I was sold on their style, sensibility and professionalism. We signed on there and then and never looked back.

There were no surprises but good ones; they worked with us like hands in gloves, delivering superb wedding planning services and outstanding food at an affordable price. The final result was stunning--the look, the feel, the flow, the food--all of it. Our children had precisely the wedding they wanted to have--fresh, fun, sophisticated yet informal, with a loose July 4th theme, and it was simply delightful.

The fishermen's station with lobster rolls, a variety of oysters and clams on the half shell and spicy shrimp salad was a standout, and the brisket and the duck confit at other stations were the best we have ever tasted. The signature cocktails were huge hits. But everyone seemed to have a different special favorite food by Rasa. Our guests, largely from New York and New Jersey but from all around the country, could not get over the food--the choices and the quality both. Some of our most discerning guests asked us how and where we found the caterers.

The style and look of the wedding was particularly important to us, and Jenna could not have done a better job of translating my daughter's dreams for the look and feel of her wedding and reception. With taste, flair, creativity and ingenuity, she transformed the venue, and set the perfect tone with flowers, table settings, blackboard menus, and so on.

We could not be happier with our choice of Birchtree Caterers.
Wedding: 07/06/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
One of our few encounters with perfection.

To begin with, our daughter, the reason for this essay, is easy to please as long as things are done her way. That is to say, she is somewhat idiosyncratic but simultaneously afraid of committing a faux-pas that would be devastating in the presence of her friends but completely undetectable to us. Her fiancé was equally challenging.

Not to worry as Rasa, Allegra, and Jenna were prepared for the challenge.

The theme was bicycle-driven, the food was American Southern and, despite temperatures in the 90s, the party was a grand success.

The Birchtrees arranged for everything and delivered on time, with great skill, and displayed Solomonic wisdom during the planning and the doing.

Dinner for 50 was served at dusk under a tent in our (small) back yard, illuminated with tiny light bulbs suspended between fabric pennants. The effect was magical.

The setup took place on time and the cleanup went flawlessly.

We have a bachelor son and look forward to a repeat experience, a although hopefully on someonelses's dime.

Wedding: 05/31/2013
 215-744-9489
Please let this vendor know
you found them on WeddingWire