Birchtree Catering
Locally Minded, Seasonally Inspired
Globe Dye Works
4500 Worth Street
Philadelphia, PA 19124  | map
Catering services: Buffet, Cocktail Reception, Family Style, French...
Bar services: Limited Bar, Open Bar

(4.9/5.0)
Flexibility:

Sort By:

Private User 1 Reviews
I cannot express how much I loved Birchtree Catering for my wedding.

For any of the ladies our there who want to have a unique, almost anthroplogie-type wedding, these ladies will make it happen.

The food was delicious (Rasa is an amazing chef). The wedding day ran smooth (Allegra is tightly organized and professional). Everything looked gorgeous (Jenna has a flawless eye for design). I was as equally as stunned as my guests.

As any bride would, I felt stressed and overwhelmed when I started planning, and after meeting Birchtree everything fell into place. I got butterflies any time we met. They were always on top of everything during the whole process.

Being an Art Director as my profession, I really had a specific vision (anybody who knows graphic designers and art directors know they're anal about detail).

Birchtree really made it all possible. I love you ladies!
Wedding: Recently Married
Services Used: Catering, Flowers, Wedding Planning, Lighting & Decor, Party Supplies, Unique Services (Other)
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Last weekend we got married at Awbury Arboretum and Birchtree Catering absolutely transformed the place into a wonderland of rustic, vintage elegance. From the moment we started working with Birchtree, Jenna, Allegra, and Chef Rasa were extremely attentive to every detail of the wedding - from the fantastic fall feast to the beautiful flowers. There were so many details that we hadn't even considered, but they were so on top of it - giving us our options without pressuring us at all. They were patient and kind and just so competent and talented. They went above and beyond in every way. We could not recommend them more highly.
Wedding: 10/12/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
We interviewed several caterers and Birchtree was organized, creative in the process and enthusiastic. My daughter and now husband and his mom all met to discuss having the rehearsal dinner in our home. They wanted a big family style rsit down dinner for 75 people. They also wanted treasured family recipes. Even though it was in our home they gave me total confidence from the moment they arrived and I have never been more delighted and at ease. In addition they came Sunday morning and set up a brunch for over 100. Each person was easy competent and delightful to have. I can't say enough for the exceptional quality, originality and graciousness of this caterer.
Wedding: 10/11/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
We had an AMAZING time at our own wedding- and we have Birchtree to thank for it! I was daunted by a 6-month planning window and had few ideas about what I wanted other than delicious food and good cocktails (flowers, maybe?), but Allegra, Rasa, and Jenna took me and my fiancée under their wings, guided us through the entire process, and got much more out of our budget than we had ever hoped. Birchtree is so much more than a caterer. They had worked with our venue, the Colonial Dames, dozens of times, and they had useful suggestions for everything from the timeline, layout of chairs and tables, choices for food and drink, fun surprises for our guests (sparkler sendoff!) and so many other items that took all of the stress out of planning a center-city wedding:
- Making quick decisions on things that would have taken me days- what will the bridal and bridesmaid bouquets be? what will the centerpieces look like? how will the décor all fit together? Jenna was simply amazing, delivering a fantastic design with my minimal input (umm, I like white flowers, magenta, and vintage-y stuff), while perfectly incorporating the few pieces I wanted control of, like a fun handmade cake topper and chalkboard-style programs.
-Bailing out the bride- when I found out with only a week of notice that my cake-maker needed a cake stand ASAP (who knew they didn't just give you one?), Jenna and Rasa borrowed one for me and delivered it to the bakery so I didn't have to take another half-day from work.
-Constant contact and support- Allegra and Jenna stayed through my wedding to make sure everything went so smoothly, feed me and my fiancée, and secretly sneak us non-alcoholic drinks. The bar staff and servers were professional, skilled, sweet, and contributed to everyone having a wonderful time.
With their warmth and skill and wanting the best for their clients, working with Birchtree was like having a close friend take charge of our wedding. Thanks, team!
Wedding: 10/04/2013
Services Used: Catering, Flowers, Lighting & Decor
  • Flexibility:  5.0
We just had Birchtree Catering do our wedding extravaganza last weekend at my summer camp in the Pocono Mts & we don't have the words to truly express how amazing they were. From the moment I called them I knew I was in the hands of awesome, hip, smart, loving and creative people. Jenna literally made my wedding pinterest board COME TO LIFE. Even at our tasting she had set up my mini wedding for me and Chef Rasa's food blew us all away. Every morsel was exsquisite!!! The attention to detail, thought & care they put into everytyhing they do is absolutely unparalleled. On our wedding day, they pulled of an absolutely enchanting vision and paired it with a feast !!!! Jenna understood exactly what I was going for and made it happen times a million. The compliments we received on the decor and food are too many to count !!!! Everyone, even my friends who are planners and chefs themselves, were completely IN AWE of Birchtree's work and salivating over Chef Rasa's food. Ummm bacon cups with molasses beans?? I'll have 10 !! ( I think I did ) Everyone was fabulous & about a dozen guests couldn't stop saying 'It looks like Wes Anderson directed this wedding!!!!' which is excatly what I wanted :). ~~ NO ONE IN THE WORLD IS BETTER THAN BIRCHTREE CATERING!!!!! Jenna, Chef Rasa & Allegra .... Bravo to you all ... we are forever in debt to you and are honored to now call you friends. To many happily ever afters to come,
Maria & Terry Latham
Wedding: 09/14/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Birchtree handled every aspect of our September wedding, from catering and day-of coordination to event design. Since we had our wedding at a private horse farm in Malvern, we had to start from scratch and bring in everything. I cannot stress enough how AMAZING it was working with Jenna, Rasa, and Allegra to put together the most magical day we could have imagined.

I had very specific ideas from the very beginning about the day, and the Birchtree team worked incredibly hard to make it all a reality. Rasa put together an amazing, fresh, cohesive menu reflecting our tastes and all of the amazing produce available seasonally. She listened to all of our wishes and brought her own great ideas to the table-the result was a delicious family-style dinner that our guests are still raving about!

Jenna and I worked very closely together on décor--we had conversations, poured over Pinterest, and made inspiration boards, but I was still floored at how beautiful everything looked on the day. She hand-made runners for our tables, scoured markets for the perfect vintage garden cart, and spent hours hanging lights and lanterns across our tent to turn it into a beautiful, magical space. Every detail was impeccable--she has an amazing eye, enviable DIY skills, and great attention to detail.

On the day of, everything went off without a hitch! They worked so hard so we could just relax and enjoy. The best part about Birchtree is how wonderful they were to work with throughout the entire process. They were patient, accommodating, mindful of our budget, and totally understanding when I changed my mind about something a few weeks before the event! They were so invested in mamaking our day incredible, and their care, personal attention, and thoughtfulness was so appreciated. I would highly recommend Birchtree to anyone looking to throw a beautiful, personal, and incredibly fun party!
Wedding: 09/07/2013
Services Used: Catering, Wedding Planning
  • Flexibility:  5.0
My wife and I are both artists in northern Philadelphia who finally decided to tie the knot in the fall of 2013. We are both very visual people we knew that we wanted a venue that looked amazing with great food/atmosphere while working on a modest budget. Our first contact with Birchtree was Allegra who immediately made my wife and I feel much more at ease about the huge event that we were about to embark on. I could tell immediately that she was not only experienced with food and catering but was overly knowledgeable about all of the details and timing that go along with a wedding...which in this case just happened to be in a 150 year old factory boiler room that we converted into three spaces for the ceremony, cocktail hour and reception. Allegra helped develop the vision for how the wedding would function in the space and when the time came she made sure everything ran like a well-oiled machine. The food was delicious, everything happened in the order it was suppose to, the staff was well dressed and friendly, and Rasa made sure every single ounce of food that came from the kitchen was prepared to perfection! I can’t imagine having had the wedding without the Birchtree crew. Check out photos on instagram at #globedyeworkswedding
Wedding: 08/31/2013

Private User 1 Reviews
Birchtree was a delight. Delicious food, creative ideas and presentation, a successful event!!
Allegra was flexible and helpful at every turn.
We recommend them most highly!!
Wedding: Recently Married
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Birchtree catered the wedding of our first daughter last Saturday and we could not be more pleased with the crucial role that Birchtree played in making this day all we could hope for.

My researcher-daughter identified them and arranged for us to meet with the owner and manager, Allegra. From that meeting on, I was sold on their style, sensibility and professionalism. We signed on there and then and never looked back.

There were no surprises but good ones; they worked with us like hands in gloves, delivering superb wedding planning services and outstanding food at an affordable price. The final result was stunning--the look, the feel, the flow, the food--all of it. Our children had precisely the wedding they wanted to have--fresh, fun, sophisticated yet informal, with a loose July 4th theme, and it was simply delightful.

The fishermen's station with lobster rolls, a variety of oysters and clams on the half shell and spicy shrimp salad was a standout, and the brisket and the duck confit at other stations were the best we have ever tasted. The signature cocktails were huge hits. But everyone seemed to have a different special favorite food by Rasa. Our guests, largely from New York and New Jersey but from all around the country, could not get over the food--the choices and the quality both. Some of our most discerning guests asked us how and where we found the caterers.

The style and look of the wedding was particularly important to us, and Jenna could not have done a better job of translating my daughter's dreams for the look and feel of her wedding and reception. With taste, flair, creativity and ingenuity, she transformed the venue, and set the perfect tone with flowers, table settings, blackboard menus, and so on.

We could not be happier with our choice of Birchtree Caterers.
Wedding: 07/06/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
One of our few encounters with perfection.

To begin with, our daughter, the reason for this essay, is easy to please as long as things are done her way. That is to say, she is somewhat idiosyncratic but simultaneously afraid of committing a faux-pas that would be devastating in the presence of her friends but completely undetectable to us. Her fiancé was equally challenging.

Not to worry as Rasa, Allegra, and Jenna were prepared for the challenge.

The theme was bicycle-driven, the food was American Southern and, despite temperatures in the 90s, the party was a grand success.

The Birchtrees arranged for everything and delivered on time, with great skill, and displayed Solomonic wisdom during the planning and the doing.

Dinner for 50 was served at dusk under a tent in our (small) back yard, illuminated with tiny light bulbs suspended between fabric pennants. The effect was magical.

The setup took place on time and the cleanup went flawlessly.

We have a bachelor son and look forward to a repeat experience, a although hopefully on someonelses's dime.

Wedding: 05/31/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Birchtree was a pleasure to work with, had an amazing eye for design, made a mean cocktail and best of all - cooked up a delicious menu! We had several people tell us that they've never had such fresh and tasty wedding food. Our menu was Pescetarian, and they didn't bat an eye coming up delicious with options for all guests.

Best of all, they put my mind at-ease by filling the role of a day-of coordinator, executing perfectly my DIY touches. We highly recommend Birchtree!
Wedding: 05/04/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
I decided in February that I wanted a wedding on March 30th at Philadelphia's Magic Gardens. I started researching catering places and was thrilled with Birchtree from the start. Their use of local food was what attracted me, and their accommodation to any palate was what really sold me on them. We had a gluten-free, corn-free, vegan reception dinner.
I was not feeling very detail oriented about planning the wedding, and Allegra, the other owner, took care of me. She offered her help and guided me through the planning process. Both Rasa and Allegra were excellent at responding to emails and helping me with the details. They even organized gluten free cookies to be delivered from Sweet Freedom Bakery. They even communicated with the people at the Magic Gardens so on the day of the wedding all I had to do was lounge around looking pretty.

I would like to mention their staff as well. The weather was a bit tricky that day and had started off beautiful and sunny and warm, so the tables and eating spaces were all set up outdoors. However, it eventually cooled down and several of the guests were letting me know they were cold. I asked the catering employees if they could move the table inside, and they worked absolute magic in no time flat with cheerful and pleasant smiles! It was very wonderful the way the staff made sure to keep food aside for the bride and groom as well, so even though we were swept up in a ball of pictures and conversation, we did get to eat on our wedding day.
Thank you very much Rasa and Allegra, I really appreciated everything you did for us and I highly recommend that anyone wanting a beautiful, professional, delicious, and environmentally conscious catering family to take care of your event, this is the one!
Wedding: 03/30/2013

Anonymous 1 Reviews
My husband and I used Birchtree Catering for our wedding. We were very happy with our experience. A few details:

--amazing food— creative menu options, beautifully presented, delicious, specified to our taste.

--event planning details—worked with our venue directly to arrange details. They visited the reception site with us and spent an hour and a half talking through logistics with us & the site staff, in addition to meeting with us several other times. Rasa & Allegra really went above and beyond to make sure things would run smoothly.

--decorations—helped improve and implement my ideas, did all the day-of set-up-- hanging lights, arranging centerpieces/place cards/favors, etc.

--personal touches—really accommodating and willing to help us execute the details that made our wedding feel personal. When we told them we wanted to set up croquet & badminton for our guests to play on the lawn during the cocktail hour, they suggested adding a mini-bar—perfect for a summer wedding!

Rasa, Allegra & Jenna are professional, personable, and innovative. We would highly recommend their services!
Wedding: 1+ year ago

Carolyn 1 Reviews
My daughter and her husband had their wedding managed and catered by Birchtree Catering. They were incredible! Birchtree catered and hosted the entire event - the ceremony, cocktail hour, dinner, dessert, and dancing. They not only provided all of the catering services, but took care of all flowers, (including the cermony), set-up and flow of the evening. Every part of their service was wonderful and far exceeded my expectations. They met with my daughter and husband, listened, and created an event that was exactly what they wanted at and completely within their budget. The food, flowers, decor, and staff were all first rate. Everyone raved about the evening. I highly recommend Birchtree Catering for your event.
Wedding: 1+ year ago
Services Used: Catering, Flowers, Wedding Planning, Lighting & Decor
  • Flexibility:  5.0
We used Birchtree for our wedding, and we were glad we did.
From the beginning, they were very responsive, and as the process moved along, they kept everything in order. This proved to be a big deal as the day approached, because as we were less mentally present, they really had their act together.
The food was great. We knew it would be, since that was why we selected them as a vendor. Everything was great, and everyone was happy. Their professionalism was something we didn't know we'd need so much, and they delivered.
We would recommend them to anyone who likes real seasonally appropriate sustainable food.
Wedding: 06/23/2012
  • Flexibility:  5.0
We were excited to use both a small business, and one focusing on local foods. We also found Birchtree really responsive to concerns, questions, allergies and other dietary restrictions, and our budget. We had a lovely Moroccan themed menu, and got tons of compliments on it. I would highly recommend Birchtree.
Wedding: 06/16/2012
 215-744-9489
Please let this vendor know
you found them on WeddingWire