Baltimore Museum of Industry

(4.7 / 5.0)
Flexibility:
(4.7 / 5.0)
  • Flexibility: 5.0

I hadn't been to the BMI since a childhood field trip, but when I visited the venue again, I knew immediately it was the one for us. My fiance and parents fell in love with it too - it is so quintessentially Baltimore. AND I would like to note that we looked at about 10 different venues in the area, ALL of which were significantly more expensive. The BMI is a great value for the money. It's huge! Our wedding was 110 people, but you could easily seat double that amount. Perfect for any size wedding, and the parking lot has 200 free spots.

We were married outside on the patio area, and our ceremony was absolutely breathtaking. The view in the background was incredible, and we had no altar and absolutely no flowers outside -- the backdrop is perfect enough by itself. Jessica was great to work with, although she left halfway through the planning process which was a bit tough. However, Claire, the newest coordinator, was very responsive via email.

Thirty minutes before the ceremony, the fire alarm in the building went off (talk about a panicked bride!). Angela (I think that was her name) was the woman on duty that evening, and she immediately called the Fire Department, and they came within 10 minutes to resolve the malfunction. The rest of the evening, she was very helpful and kind, routinely checking in to see if we needed anything.

What I love about this venue is how quirky and unique it is. Everyone was very impressed by the exhibits and had a great time browsing them all during cocktail hour. We danced the night away with the city skyline and Domino Sugar sign in the background. Our wedding was fantastic and I could not imagine a better venue than the BMI.

• Wedding: 10/04/2014
4.5/5.0
  • Responsiveness: 4.0
  • Value: 4.5
  • Flexibility: 4.0

Everyone who attended our wedding enjoyed the views of the Baltimore Inner Harbor and exhibits were open so guests could explore.

• Wedding: 09/26/2014
Robert
  • Flexibility: 5.0

This venue is amazing. I would recommend it to anyone, especially if you, like me, want an ACTUAL water venue in Baltimore City. Many other venues have amazing water views but few have reception space with patios right next to the water. Everything about this location is amazing. The front desk worker during the event was the best even when my caterer lost the opening prayer that we had sent in advance with our table settings she ran around looking for it and found it just in time. My caterer made MANY mistakes and even through them all my guests had an amazing time and I would give full credit to the venue. It was just amazing to be there and be right on the water. Everything was great ( plus I didn't have to rent very much because they have tons of round tables and chairs that are included in your rental agreement!)

Everything really was great. Now I just need other people to get married there so I can enjoy the venue as a guest!!!!

• Wedding: 08/09/2014
gfabs2
  • Flexibility: 5.0

People loved this venue! We were told by people that this was the best wedding they had ever been to. They were great to work with and we are so happy we picked this location.

• Wedding: Recently Married
  • Flexibility: 5.0

The reception was held under the pavillion. We had perfect weather and everyone had a great time! Wonderful people to work with.

• Wedding: 05/31/2014
Robin
  • Flexibility: 5.0

A wonderful venue! Great view of the city and we loved seeing the Domino Sugar sign in the background. We held our cocktail hour outside on the patio overlooking the harbor. Our guests loved walking around the museum during cocktail hour, too. Museum staff was very helpful; we were able to stop by the museum several times to see the space, make plans, etc. The price was also very reasonable compared to other downtown locations. Highly recommended!

• Wedding: 04/11/2014
  • Flexibility: 4.0

This place is amazing! Because my daughter's wedding was a 50's theme this was the perfect backdrop! The view looking out onto the Harbor is killer. They give you have the option of having some of the major displays open for guests at an additional cost. The staff was very accommodating considering this is a museum. I would strongly suggest that you use a preferred caterer from their list as well as a rental company because they know all the ins and outs of where to drop off and how to set up. Keep in mind there are things they can't change as easily as other venues such as lighting. With that in mind, you will need additional lighting if you decide to have the wedding ceremony inside at night. I can't say enough great things about this place!

• Wedding: Recently Married
4.7/5.0
  • Value: 3.5
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Such a fun place to have our wedding! Jessica was great to work with, she responded right away when I had questions. The view is amazing, and the pavilion transformed into a beautiful setting for our ceremony.

• Wedding: 11/08/2013
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Gorgeous!!!!! Affordable, interesting, unique and fun! We had a sunset wedding overlooking the water & it was amazing. No need to decorate beyond a centerpiece because the exhibits are enough. Our friends and family from out of town loved the opportunity to walk around and look at the history. Plenty of space to move inside and out. Not to mention there is no worries about parking because they have a huge parking lot. Couldn't imagine having it anyplace else.

• Wedding: 11/01/2013
  • Responsiveness: 4.0
  • Professionalism: 4.0
  • Flexibility: 5.0

After attending a few dozen wedding receptions in the generic hotel ballroom, we wanted something different and memorable. The BMI was exactly what we were looking for. Our 230 guests absolutely loved it! It was a very unique and colorful background for our reception. Because the neon lights and displays are so interesting, we didn't need to spend so much money on elaborate centerpieces to decorate, and our photos are so cool!

We held the cocktail hour outside on the patio by the water with lovely evening views of the Harbor and Domino Sugar Plant. It was a little snug with 230 seated people, but everyone fit. Also, we had about 30 children among out guests, and we sat them near the Communications Room, which has theatre-like seats and a small stage. It was a prefect set-up for kids to play on the stage (away from the museum displays), and the parents could sit and watch comfortably from a distance. Coats racks were set up in the lobby, the bathrooms were clean and large enough accommodate so many guests, and there is a money-operated photo booth.

I highly recommend the BMI as a memorable, unique, and classy venue.

• Wedding: 10/26/2013
Monica
  • Quality of Service: 4.0
  • Flexibility: 5.0

If you don't like planning or are not organized, having your wedding at the BMI could be stressful as there are a lot of moving pieces. The venue itself does not provide much and many items need to be rented. Our wedding turned out to be a HUGE success, after a lot of hard work. It was a warm evening in September. Our ceremony was in the pavilion, cocktail hour on the brick terrace, dinner in the Decker Gallery, and then back out of the brick terrace for dancing overlooking the skyline of Baltimore. It was absolutely beautiful. We received so many compliments on the venue and it's uniqueness and many guests commented on it being enjoyable because it wasn't a regular wedding venue. Parking is free, it's waterfront and in the city, you can't go wrong. Jessica was also great to work with. She was responsive, realistic, and helpful. The only advice I would give is to make sure that your DJ sets up multiple speakers because sound doesn't travel well through the gallery and make sure the running water is working because it wasn't in the bathrooms the night of our wedding!

• Wedding: 09/29/2013
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Couldn't have been a better location. I had guests come from out of town and they were blown away!!! It is an affordable way to have a beautiful/ cool wedding!!!!

• Wedding: 1+ year ago
4.8/5.0
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Great venue! Everything went perfect. Jessica was so easy to work with and made drop off/pick up of wedding day details a breeze. My guests all raved about my venue and the view is the best. I would HIGHLY recommend The BMI.

• Wedding: 08/10/2013
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Jessica was very responsive with any questions or concerns we had. I loved that they allowed us to make monthly payments. I can't imagine paying all our vendors all at once. Sheesh! Everyone loved the venue. They loved how it wasn't a "cookie cutter" wedding. It was totally us! Thanks!

• Wedding: 07/20/2013
  • Flexibility: 5.0

We were married at the Baltimore Museum of Industry on 7/5/13. If you are a non-traditional person, looking for a creative, innovative and unique way of putting on an amazing wedding for an affordable cost, check this place out. The competition to the BMI was the Visionary Arts Museum in Fed Hill, the cost there was double the cost of the BMI, and I could have an amazing waterfront ceremony. Also, it is literally a 2 minute drive to Federal Hill, and I still can't tell which pictures are better, the waterfront photos at the BMI with the Domino Sugar factory in the background, or the awesome hill top photos of the Harbor.The Staff at the BMI were very accommodating, and Jessica was always kind and thoughtful. This place is AMAZING!

• Wedding: 1+ year ago
Anonymous
4.7/5.0
  • Flexibility: 3.5

This is a great place to have an event! Our wedding guests loved it, and raved about how neat and unique it was! We used the Decker room, and had our cocktail hour on the brick terrace. We had a slideshow DVD of photos from our childhoods and then pictures of us as a couple, and we were able to play it on loop in the theater that connects with the main room. I was happy we had an a wedding planner to help with getting things set up because they wouldn't let us drop anything off until the morning of the wedding and it would have been impossible to coordinate that on our own with all the chaos of the day, getting ready, etc. They provided round tables, and chairs, but they wouldn't allow us to use their long tables for the buffet so we had to rent those.
Also, if you are interested in this venue, and want to get married on a Saturday you need to talk to them over a year in advance! They book up EARLY.

• Wedding: 06/29/2013
410-727-4808
ext. 132
Please let this vendor know you found them on WeddingWire

My Awards