Wheeland Photography Reviews

67 | San Clemente, CA

67 Reviews for Wheeland Photography

Danielle Van Stryland · Married on 10/07/2020

Amazing Wedding Photographer!

I am so grateful to have had Janet capture my engagement and wedding photos. I found out about Janet through Casa Romantica's preferred vendor list. She came highly recommended by the venue. I was pleasantly surprised that her prices were so reasonable and that my fiancé and I were able to pick a package that fit our exact needs. Janet answered all of our questions and helped us find the perfect location for engagement photos. My fiancé and I were nervous because we tend to look awkward in photos; but, Janet guided us and we loved how our pictures turned out! When our world got turned upside down in March 2020, Janet helped us come up with a backup plan for wedding photos in case our big day wasn't able to happen as we had planned. She was not only our photographer, but walked alongside us by providing helpful wedding advice, thoughtful planning, and calming reassurance. On the day of our wedding, Janet captured the day beautifully and handled our big families like a true pro. Thanks to Janet, we will always be able to look back at our wedding photos and remember the pure happiness and love we experienced that day.

Sent on 10/11/2020
  • Anna

Anna Plehn · Married on 06/08/2020

Amazing Wedding Photos

I am absolutely blown away by this girl’s talent. All my wedding photos came out looking like something taken from a movie. I loved the photos and so did everyone else.

Here is why I’m recommending Janet:
    - A couple of days after the wedding, I received some wedding highlight images that were superb. This is not normal, and all my married friends had to wait for weeks and months just to get some photos from the wedding.
    - Even though I had never met Janet before the wedding, I felt like I had a connection with her. We had calls and email communications where she listened to what I wanted, and she also gave me some good ideas and suggestions. After we had talked through what I wanted, she sent over a list of photos that she was planning on taking on the wedding day and I got to review. I also sent over a Pinterest board of images that I liked. She followed all of it and I got exactly what I wanted and more.
    - The photos are amazing.

The bad:
    - I have hundreds of gorgeous photos to pick between and I can’t choose which once to hang on the wall.

I am so thankful that I went with Janet. It made my wedding day.

Sent on 09/15/2019

Wheeland Photography's reply:

Anna, you are so sweet! Thank you for your kind words. You are a serious gem and it was a privilege to photograph your wedding. You, my dear, are so stinking photogenic! What a blast that was!!

Kelley Andrews · Married on 01/18/2020

Memorable and breathtaking

Janet did a spectacular job capturing beautiful photos of Kelley and Jake’s engagement and bridal portrait. She exceeded our expectations with her creative talents in wedding photography. Janet's pictures were both memorable and breathtaking!

Sent on 03/14/2020

Jessica Gunther · Married on 09/15/2019

Happy with everything!

Janet was awesome! She scheduled a phone call weeks before the wedding to discuss details and make sure that we got everything we wanted. She is super friendly and really flexible with what we wanted as a couple. On the day of the wedding, she worked so well with us as a couple and with our families. She is very laid back, calm, and patient which is nice because family portraits after the ceremony can get a bit stressful. During our couple portraits, she directed us well and was very encouraging that the photos were turning out great. We had never done a professional photoshoot before and she made us feel pretty comfortable. We received some highlight photos several weeks after the wedding and then received all of the photos only a few weeks after. It was all very timely! The photos turned out amazing. My family and I all thought she did a great job. She not only captured great portraits and pictures of the typical wedding activities, but also great candid shots of dancing and guests interacting with each other. She was able to capture great shots of nearly all of our guests which was really nice. Janet and her 2nd shooter worked well together and we are pleased with the end results!

Sent on 10/23/2019

Wheeland Photography's reply:

Thanks Jessica! I'm glad that you had such a good experience. The family photos can be hectic but since we were super organized everything moved really smoothly! Enjoy your photos!!
  • Madalyn

Madalyn Marie · Married on 09/11/2019

Janet is a Magic Maker!

Janet makes the magic happen! Janet photographed two of my sisters weddings and my corporate head shots, so when we got engaged I couldn't imagine having anyone else capture our special day! When it came to our engagement photos, Janet was totally up for adventure in beautiful Joshua Tree and captured what has to be the most epic movie worthy pose, complete with a flamethrower!

Beyond her obvious talent, Janet is a joy to work with. She is super responsive, organized and was such a great, calm, guiding hand through the whole process. She truly goes above and beyond for her clients. I was blown away that we had a sneak peak of a dozen wedding photos the afternoon after our wedding (wow!!), and our full gallery of images a little over a month after our wedding - which is unheard of!!

Thank you so much Janet for capturing our wedding day!!

Sent on 01/21/2020

Kathryn Hardy · Married on 05/18/2019

Janet is the best!

We loved working with Janet! Janet had been the photographer for a few of my friend's weddings so I already knew I liked her photography style, but I didn't know yet how great she was to work. From the beginning I loved that Janet would personally be the one taking both our engagement and wedding photos, rather than being part of a larger photography group. She was so flexible on dates and locations for our engagement shoot, even moving the shoot last minute when it was forecasted to rain. Taking photos can be a bit awkward, especially in crowded areas, and Janet made us feel totally at ease. Both the locations for our engagement shoot and wedding were places she had never shot before she even showed up early to scout out good locations. She absolutely goes above and beyond for her clients and it comes through in her phenomenal photos. We're really grateful we were able to work with Janet for our wedding photos and would highly recommend Wheeland Photography!

Sent on 07/11/2019

Wheeland Photography's reply:

Kathryn, it has been so fun getting to know your group of friends over the years. You and Andy are so warm hearted and full of love for each other and those around you, it was an honor to photograph your engagement and wedding. Hope to see you again soon!
  • Leo

Leo and Julie Powell · Married on 05/11/2019

Amazing wedding photographer

Janet did an amazing job photographing our wedding! We could not have asked for a better person to capture our day. She was flexible, had a great vision, great at communicating and was able to capture some amazing moments! Even our guests commented on how great she was. Can't wait to work with her again!

Sent on 07/31/2019
  • Cristie

Cristie Moore · Married on 04/27/2019

Best decision!!

Choosing Janet as our photographer was easily our best wedding decision- besides saying ‘I do’! She has a way of making everything fun, casual, and so beautiful. Everything was extremely personalized and working with her was not only stress-free but so enjoyable (and calming! even in the midst of pre-wedding chaos). *Tip for brides* she is wonderfully creative so, think of some special items that hold meaning for your big day (your written vows, a grandparent’s or parent’s keepsake, etc.) and give them to her. She does an amazing job of creating a genuine and beautiful story through photos. I wouldn’t change a single thing about our wedding day, Wheeland Photography played a big part in that and now we have that amazing day captured perfectly! Honestly, a wedding is stressful enough, don’t stress photography.. this decision is easy (and fun!) P.S. she’s awesome at including your fur-babies in photos!

Sent on 06/13/2019

Wheeland Photography's reply:

Cristie! Thank you for having me come out to Florida to photograph your wedding!! What a treat it has been to get to know you and TJ and your families. It was so cool to be able to photograph you two coast to coast with your Engagement Session in San Diego and your wedding in the FL Keys. You two are so generous, hospitable, and oozing with love for those around you. You guys are rockstars!

Amy Vanderkolk · Married on 04/07/2019

Best photographer!

First let me say that Janet is absolutely amazing! My husband and I are not big into getting our photos taken, but Janet gives off such a mellow, awesome vibe that I made it fun getting our photos taken. There were so many photos I loved, I actually had a hard time picking out which ones I wanted blown up.

I was told by my family and friends at and after the wedding what a wonderful photographer I had. I would easily recommend her to anyone looking for a photographer. I could not have asked for anyone better!

Sent on 05/28/2019

Wheeland Photography's reply:

Amy! Choosing favorites is the hardest part! Did you get some prints made? I want to see which ones you chose! Text me, I’d love to see.

Your wedding day was so dreamy and sentimental. I loved how your dad told you jokes down the aisle to help keep you from crying and the toasts given at the reception.

Daily find new ways to show love to each other! Cheers!

Severina Thom · Married on 03/16/2019

Outstanding photographer

Janet photographed my sister’s wedding in 2017, my wedding 3 months ago, and she will be photographing my other sister’s wedding in a few months — there’s no other photographer we trust as much as Janet! She is extremely professional, helpful, and just an absolute pleasure to be around. I am beyond thrilled with the photos she took, they’re stunning and timeless. Janet is the best of the best! She also took my engagement photos at the beach and those are amazing as well! I feel so lucky that my big day was captured so beautifully!

Sent on 06/17/2019

Wheeland Photography's reply:

Severina! It has been so sweet getting to know you and your family. You all are so full of life and love. I was impressed with your eye for design and style at your wedding. Your wedding logo was so cool the way you incorporated it in your stationary, desserts, and cake. I’m glad we included it in your wedding albums too!

See you soon! Cheers!

Katie · Married on 02/24/2019

Incredible

Janet was an amazing photographer and she did more than we could have imagined! She was so friendly and kind and was able to direct my entire HUGE bridal party of 10 girls so easily and efficiently without my fiancé or I having to worry about s thing! She was so efficient with our timeline and made sure she didn’t miss any pictures that we had planned our with our families. The was early to our venue and had an amazing spirit and smile the whole night! She even pulled us out for some sunset pictures to capture a couple of sweet moments together away from the reception. The pictures turned out beautiful and she gave us so many highlights just a week after the wedding and a few sneak peaks days after! I was in shock how she was able to edit them so perfect and quickly! She was so detailed and helpful I would recommend her to everyone !!!!! We absolutely loved every picture we got back!

Sent on 04/06/2019

Wheeland Photography's reply:

Katie! Your wedding was a BLAST! You’ve got a great group of friends and family the love and support you - and that like to get down on the dance floor!! I loved the dance you and Johann did together and that you had Red Robin make an appearance! Thank you for having me as your photographer.

Carolyn D · Married on 01/06/2019

Exceptional Photographer

Hiring Janet as our engagement and wedding photographer was the best decision we made during our wedding planning process because she did not disappoint. She goes above and beyond and will work with you to make sure you have your dream wedding. She is also very professional, down-to-earth, sweet and kind. I will definitely miss working with her.

Sent on 03/04/2019

Wheeland Photography's reply:

Carolyn! Let’s find new excuses to get together!! It’s been so fun getting to know you two, starting with Sam and Millie’s wedding back in 2016! We should all get together soon - you, Dennis, Sam, Millie and their sweet baby girl!

Nisha · Married on 10/21/2018

Amazing photographer with a great eye

When it came to selecting our wedding photographer, our coordinator showed us the different styles to get a sense for what we liked. That was hard since they all have their advantages and were all beautiful, but the aspects we knew we liked and wanted was for our photos was for them to be colorful and feel happy—so she immediately contacted Janet to see if she was available. Lucky for us she was.

We had a small and intimate wedding (with a budget to match), and we were I totally scared thinking we couldn’t afford to work with Janet or had to lower our expectations. Thankfully, Janet being as patient and kind as she is, worked with us to customize our package so we could make it happen.

We had her shoot my mehendi before my wedding instead of engagement photos (because we hadn’t booked her yet when those were done-silly us) and we were glad we had this extra time with her. She got to meet my family (a big loving chaotic bunch which helped her know what she was getting into when it came to family photos on the day of! 😂) and she helped us learn how to feel a little bit more relaxed (I’m really awkward in pics and my husband is always photogenic). She also has this amazingly calm and even temperament that if she was just near us we both instantly felt comfortable, relaxed and grounded.

When it came to the day of, Janet and her assistant (Holly) were like the best combination of cat wranglers and ninjas—they knew how to manage a silly bunch who just wanted to dance versus stand still for a photo and also knew how to swiftly and quietly maneuver around to get shots.

Janet was also super fast in giving us a few sneak peaks the next morning so we had some to share immediately with friends and family and for us to get an idea of what we’d receive at the end of it all as well. She really does have an amazing eye. She knows how make vivid color and energy come to life in stills. She combined portrait style photos with candid photo journalism style shots—she had us covered in all the styles we could’ve wanted or asked for. We are really excited to see the finished product (our wedding was just 2 days ago) and we are completely confident that we will be floored.

I also want to highlight Janet’s non-photography skills. I already mentioned her calm nature—but on top of that she is just so much fun to have around! She is so easy to talk to, comforting, and can dance! I got her to dance with me and girl gots some moves! She (and Holly) really just added even more fun and joy to our wedding and we are so happy and grateful we had the chance to work with Wheeland Photography. We hope you get the chance to work with them too!

Sent on 10/23/2018

Kelle MacArthur · Married on 09/29/2018

TALENTED and truly amazing to work with

Janet was amazing! She captured every moment and I was so grateful to have her be a part of my wedding team. The pictures speak for her talented work. JANET THANK YOU AGAIN for everything. xo I get to look back at her photos and be reminded of our special day.

Sent on 11/26/2018

Mallory Gurbach · Married on 09/28/2018

"Best Wedding Ever"

"Best Wedding Ever!" "Incredible!" These are just some of the quotes we hear almost daily since our wedding, and Janet was able to capture every single moment and every emotion felt! We had such a wonderful and stress free experience working with Janet. She truly made each interaction with her feel like you were hanging out with a really good friend that was always looking after your best interests. Janet has such a reassuring way of being a professional that really made everything feel easy. She went above and beyond in our engagement shoot as well as on our wedding day. On our big day, she brought a second photographer to make sure every detail was captured in its entirety. We remember the excitement of receiving communication from Janet following the wedding, as she would release photos to us as soon as they were ready. The anticipation of the full album was not a let down! Janet delivered a beautiful album with countless memories that we will reflect on and smile, laugh, and cry for years to come. We cannot wait to work with Janet in the future! Thank you for everything!!!

Sent on 01/16/2019

Gabrielle · Married on 09/13/2018

Amazing experience

I would highly recommend Janet for a photographer! My then fiancee and I had a destination wedding in San Clemente and we were interested in hiring a local photographer to really grasp the vibe we we're going for. Janet did that and so much more! I couldn't have imagined a better photographer for our wedding day no matter the location. Her personality lends itself to a nice, calm, relaxing experience with just the right amount of direction to make everyone comfortable! Considering it was a destination wedding she reached out and took the time to get to know our story and our personalities! She was so personable and accommodating we truly found a gem in Janet! No matter the occasion, I would hire her for any photography needs!

Sent on 11/03/2018

Adrienne · Married on 09/08/2018

Look no further for a photographer!!!!!! Janet is AMAZING!

If you are reading this, no need to read further and book Janet as your photographer for all things photos! When my husband and I initially met with Janet to see if she would be a good fit for our engagement and wedding photos, we immediately knew. Janet has a way of making you feel completely comfortable with the idea of having a photographer during these special moments in our lives, and this I the biggest plus because my husband tends to be camera shy. She makes you feel like old friends, and all of our time has felt just like that – hanging out with a friend. However, her professionalism and attention to detail are absolutely on point. This left us with a gallery full of perfectly candid moments and shots that left us, our family, and our friends breathless.

Her photos have so much beauty in them. She captured the most amazing moments and does so with a fun and inviting personality that leaves you feeling comfortable throughout the shoot, whether it was our engagement shoot or our wedding day. You can feel the emotion in the photos and live through these photos as if you were there. To be quite frank, we’re over here thinking about when we are able to work with her again – wish we could get married all over again!

Furthermore, Janet’s delivery time is so on point. She not only keeps you in the loop but sends out little sneak peeks to hold you over until you can get the full gallery. I really want to mention that she went absolutely above and beyond because she came along to our rehearsal day and took shots that we weren’t even expecting. Also, I unfortunately lost my grandfather just 3 weeks after the wedding, and I reached out to her asking if I could get copies of photos with my grandfather in them. She delivered them without hesitation even though we weren’t expecting our gallery for another few weeks. Needless to say our experience with Janet of Wheeland Photography was amazing, and I am absolutely positive that yours will be too! Thank you for everything, Janet! We absolutely have so much love for you!!!

Sent on 11/09/2018

Jessie · Married on 08/18/2018

I've known Janet for years & was so excited to have her photograph our engagement session/wedding. If you are looking for someone who is all about professionalism, quality, flexibility & creativity, Janet is the perfect photographer for you. Her attention to detail & her creative intuition was something that really attracted me to her photography. Not only that, but her eye for COLOR! I was in love with how she captured color & I know it's a skill that must be hard to do, but she's perfected it. Not only color, but my husband & I were looking for photo styles that were timeless. Something that we could look back on for years & still feel like our wedding just happened yesterday. Something light, colorful & fun...I knew Janet was the perfect photographer for us!

On our wedding day, Janet got right to work! Photographing all the details from getting ready all the way up until our getaway at the reception. Janet helped Matt & I feel relaxed all day & she was not afraid to pull us away to get in a couple more extra special shots. Not only that, but she was also so sweet & got along so well with our other vendors & that made our day even more fun! She was so flexible with last minute changes on locations too. Our wedding day was hot & a popular wedding date, but Janet was prepared & equipped with ideas. Janet is also quick to think on her feet & when unexpected things happened during our wedding, she knew exactly what to do to get the right shot at whatever angle. My husband & I are so thrilled with our pictures & have gotten so many wonderful compliments on them. We will definitely be asking Janet to photograph us again in the future.

Thank you, Janet! You are truly one of a kind & we love your work & you!

Love,

The Sparks

Sent on 10/05/2018

Elizabeth · Married on 07/28/2018

Janet is a fantastic photographer and amazing person! From our first phone conversation to her communication during planning and her ability to help make wedding decisions, she is the best decision I made during our wedding planning! During our planning process she made herself available for any questions or suggestions while supporting the vision that my husband and I had for our wedding. She has such a positive yet calm demeanor that everyone involved in the family pictures was laughing and smiling the entire time. The pictures she captured on our wedding day are truly a work of art and I will be forever thankful for her ability to capture such precious memories. Thank you Janet!!

Sent on 09/26/2018

Lauren · Married on 07/07/2018

Janet's photos of our wedding are incredible! She perfectly captured the joy and love of our wedding and made us feel so comfortable and at ease. Having the two photographers that came with Janet's pricing was such a great deal as we were able to get twice as many photos done during a busy day that flew by (one photographer for my husband and groomsmen and one for myself and bridesmaids!). Janet's eye for the beautiful backdrops and light made each photo turn out so beautifully. Janet was so kind and professional during the whole wedding planning process and wedding day. She was such a huge help and all the photos are gorgeous!

Sent on 08/16/2018

Nicole · Married on 02/10/2018

Janet Wheeland is incredible! When I was looking for a photographer for the big day, I wanted to make sure it was someone I felt comfortable being around and Janet has the most calming and down to earth personality. She also has an eye for detail and a true gift for photography. All of my wedding photos turned out absolutely beautiful and I couldn't be happier!

Sent on 07/09/2018

Jillian · Married on 11/18/2017

Janet is so incredibly talented. Her patience and attention to detail on the day of our wedding was exactly what we were hoping for! Our wedding photos turned out more gorgeous than we ever expected or hoped for. She was able to capture literally every moment of our day, allowing us to cherish these memories forever. I honestly couldn't have asked for a more professional, caring, and personable photographer! Thank you so much, Janet! I will definitely be recommending you to all of my engaged, and single, friends ;)

Sent on 12/29/2017

Aly · Married on 10/14/2017

My husband and I got married this past October at Swallow Creek Ranch in Cayucos and it was a dream. Janet came up to Cayucos for the weekend and photographed our wedding. We are obsessed with ALL of the photos. Before the wedding Janet worked with us to make sure she understood everything we wanted. She got everything we wanted and more! She did an awesome job and we can recommend her enough!

Sent on 11/14/2017
  • Bianca

Bianca · Married on 08/26/2017

Janet is hands down the best special occasion photographer in Orange County. She photographed my Fiancé and I for our engagement and we were blown away with how comfortable she made us feel and how completely she captured the "real us". We were so thrilled that we booked her for our wedding. I wouldn't trust anyone else to document our big day. Book her as soon as you can because she is quite popular ;)!

Sent on 02/05/2017

Katie · Married on 06/24/2017

I hired Janet for my engagement photos and wedding photos and it was the best decision. I heard about Janet through my best friend who also had Janet as her wedding photographer. I was able to see Janet in action at her wedding and absolutely feel in love with her work and personality. Janet is so sweet, helpful, and thoughtful when working with her clients. She gives great advice and really helps you organize your day or choose the best place for photos that compliments each couple's style. Janet seriously does amazing work! She is professional, creative, and very talented. She is a true expert photographer and captures the sweetest most natural moments. I couldn't be more happy with my engagement and wedding photos from her. She is so much fun to work with. She has given me so many special moments to relive. There are so many photos that are my absolute favorites. She captured all my special moments, details, and more from my wedding day. I can't express how thankful I am to have had her as our photographer. She truly is the best! Katie Danna

Sent on 09/20/2017