VG Donut and Bakery Reviews

VG Donut and Bakery 4
VG Donut and Bakery 5
VG Donut and Bakery 6
VG Donut and Bakery 7

VG Donut is AMAZING!!!! We had the pleasure of having them do our wedding cake for our June 2013 wedding in Fallbrook, CA. Jess from the VG is so sweet and nice and was a pleasure to work with! Our cake was so incredibly perfect and was more than we could have asked for! The best thing about VG is price - VERY affordable! Especially for budget conscious brides like myself! You would spend a small fortune at any other bakery compared to VG and it wouldn't taste anywhere near as good as their cakes taste! My only regret - that we didn't do a dessert bar full of their awesome donuts and yummy cookies! If you book your wedding cake with VG's trust me, you won't be disappointed!!!

Sent on 06/13/2013

jessica · Married on 11/10/2012

Everyone at VG's was so great to work with. They only use buttercream frosting (no fondant) which was important to me. Not only did the cake taste amazing but it turned out beautifully. Jessica and the owner are amazing to work with. Make sure you have plenty of people over the day you go cake tasting because they literally give you 2 8 inch sample cakes with additional ones for just a few dollars. They are also very affordable! Our guests loved our cake. The chocolate with chocolate Bavarian cream and oreos is to die for! We also ordered donuts from them which are delicious! I believe they have the best donuts in San Diego county.

Sent on 12/07/2012
  • User2035402 · 2+ years ago

VG is my absolute FAVORITE bakery!!! Best donuts anywhere. They did NOT disappoint with our wedding cake!! It was not only delicious (I had 2 pieces at the wedding!!!) but it looked beautiful. it came out exactly as I had asked for!!!! I can't wait to eat the top next year!!

Sent on 11/01/2012

Stacey · Married on 10/06/2012

My wedding cake from VG Donuts was delicious and beautiful. The prices are great too! I highly recommend the red velvet cake. They were super accommodating when I couldn't decide exactly which flavors of cake/fillings I wanted (they let me try ALL of them!). They were great to work, with and I love the authentic vibe of this local bakery.

Sent on 11/04/2012

Madeline · Married on 09/22/2012

We decided to go with cupcakes for our wedding, and VG's made them PERFECT! They were a hit at our wedding and we also had them at our engagement party! Absolutely delicious!

Sent on 11/08/2012
  • saki14

Jodi · Married on 09/02/2012

such delicious cake for a fraction of what you would pay elsewhere! If you want an outrageous design on your cake, then this is not the place for you, but if you want simple elegance, then you cant miss with vg donuts!

Sent on 11/15/2012

I heard about VG Donuts from a different vendor and was skeptical about hiring a donut shop to make our wedding cake. But after one taste of their cake, I was sold. Their cakes are absolutely delicious and VERY reasonably priced! Most importantly, this vendor is such a pleasure to work with! With all of the stress of wedding planning, it was a welcome relief to find a vendor who was so eager to help us and not mark-up the prices! VGs now has customers for life with my husband and me after our experience working with VGs for our wedding.

My husband and I met with one of the employees at VG Donuts and told her that we were interested in having a small cake for us to cut, and then a bunch of cupcakes for all of the guests. We told her what design we were looking for, and it turned out absolutely perfect on our wedding day. Moreover, as we left the meeting, she gave us a dozen cupcakes to take home for free to sample. Then, a week later they made us 2 full size cakes for us for free so we could pick what flavor we wanted for our couple's cake.

During our meeting, the employee told us that although the tradition is to save the top layer of cake to eat on your one-year anniversary, VG Donuts makes their customers a brand-new cake for free on their one-year anniversary to enjoy (so you don't have to eat the freezer-burned cake)!

We loved the selection from this vendor so much that we ordered sugar cookies with frosting in heart-shapes as party favors for all of our guests. I am still getting calls from friends about how delicious the cupcakes and cookies were!

Sent on 09/02/2012

Beautiful cupcakes and small cake to match. Kate was very helpful making sure that the cupcakes were exactly how I pictured them :)

Sent on 07/24/2012

Jeremy · Married on 05/27/2012

Great vibe from VG Bakery, from the initial meeting, to the sample cakes (which are huge, by the way), to the big day with the official wedding cake. They were just so easy to work with, the prices were absolutely reasonable, and the end product was gorgeous.
    Guests at the wedding couldn't stop commenting on how cool/pretty/beautiful/creative the cake was. Overall, our experience with VG Bakery was excellent!! We would definitely recommend VG to anyone looking for a cool, and even cost-efficient cake!! Next time we're in the area we'll be visiting VG for some more yummy pastries!

Sent on 01/06/2014

Jessica · Married on 05/26/2012

Our favors happened to be our favorite donuts. Each guest received a blueberry buttermilk donut. Our guests ended up eating them before dinner was served. Thanks for making our favorite donut party of our special day.

Sent on 07/12/2012

Renee · Married on 05/19/2012

The cake was amazing and very reasonably priced. They are willing to work with your ideas and create anything you like! Don't be discouraged by the "donuts" in the title. The samples will speak for themselves!

Sent on 07/13/2012
  • sarah

sarah · Married on 02/25/2012

This was the BEST cake I've ever tasted!!!

I also ordered my groom's cake from VG's that I gave to my groom at our rehearsal dinner (a Tennessee Titan's cake for his favorite football team.

They let us sample sooo may of their delicious cakes and it arrived on time, more beautiful than I could have expected.

Sent on 03/13/2012

Joseph · Married on 09/03/2011

People LOVED our cake. Looked pretty tasted amazing!

For enough cake to feed 200 people it came out to about $250 including two free tasting cakes and a free cake on our anniversary.

This is the deal.

Sent on 09/23/2011

Annalise · Married on 05/18/2011

Our wedding cake from VG's was delicious!! They gave us 2 cakes for free to try and Joe made great suggestions. The seashell candies went on to the top of the cake so we had to put our cake topper on the table next to it, but it worked out just fine. I would absolutely recommend them and we can't wait for our 1 year anniversary to get our cake topper made for free again!

Sent on 05/21/2011

Cora · Married on 09/18/2010

I loved our wedding cake, they did a great job. Very professional, they treat you good. The cake arrived on time. It was delicous and a beautiful.

Project Wedding vendor reviews | Wedding Dresses, Wedding Songs, Wedding Ideas, Bridal Shower

Sent on 03/17/2011

Diana · Married on 08/28/2010

My husband wanted frosting but I was worried it wasn’t going to look as pretty as fondant. VG Donut was able to create a beautiful cake that made both my husband and I happy. We were even able to pick the flavor we wanted....my favorite is white with strawberries and my husband got his carrot cake :)

VG Donut created the exact cake we wanted with a simple print out we gave them.

Our cake was beautiful and delicious!

Sent on 04/05/2011

Ann · Married on 08/21/2010

I loved VG Bakery! Our cake was delicious. We tried 3 WHOLE cakes to see what flavor we wanted. Then when we went in for our consultation he recommended the carrot cake with cream cheese filling, and sent us home with a huge slice! It was perfect. We did 3 tiers, 2 with white cake, fresh cut strawberries and bavarian cream, and the third with the carrot cake and cream cheese. It was a hit! We ate the left overs for 2 days! YUMMY! It's worth a shot, and if you book at the The Crossings, the cake is FREE!

Sent on 12/07/2010

Simone · Married on 07/08/2009

Great cake, great cost, great service. Plus a free year anniversary cake!

Sent on 07/03/2010

Suzanne · Married on 05/16/2009

I can't recommend these guys enough. They are awesome!! Not only is the cake absolutely amazing, but their customer service rocks. They're busy most of the time, so when you call, it may seem like they don't have much time to talk, but when you go in there, they will bend over backwards to help you. Most places give you a slice of cake to sample. These guys give you two FRESH CAKES!! We had a 3-tiered cake, with the bottom layer strawberry bavarian, middle layer banana, and top layer carrot. Our guests wanted to try all three because they loved the cake so much!

Thank you, VG! We can't wait for our 1-year anniversary! :-)

Sent on 08/04/2009

Heather · Married on 04/18/2009

We used VG for our cake and it was so good! They are a very good value and the cake is phenomenal. Everyone at our wedding loved the cake and many asked for seconds. Joe was great to work with leading up to the wedding and they were always focused on delivering a great product.

Sent on 05/05/2009

Jennifer · Married on 10/03/2008

If you do not know about VG's you should. Their cakes and bake goods are delicious and their wedding cakes are even better. And you cannot beat the price. Our cake was beautiful also...Highly reccomend

Sent on 10/28/2008

Sarah · Married on 08/17/2008

Every cake I have had since my 8th birthday has come from VG's, so the wedding cake could be no exception. The cake was beautifully decorated, but most importantly it tasted amazing. It was moist and wonderful, unlike most wedding cakes.
    A tasting at VG's is a little different than most, instead of getting a couple of bites of cake, you let them know which flavors you are interested in and they give you 7" rounds to take home and share!
    VG's is a North County institution. Don't let the doughnuts fool you (they are really good though), the cakes are amazing as well!

Sent on 09/18/2008

Kim · Married on 06/07/2008

Directly from their website: V.G. Donut & Bakery is a full service bakery located in Coastal North County specializing in the old fashion style of baking. Owned and operated by the Mettee family since 1969, V.G.’s is now a thriving third generation business. V.G., or Very Good for those who were wondering, is the locals’ choice for a fresh cup of coffee and favorite bakery item – guaranteed to satisfy your sweet tooth.

V.G.’s uses only top quality ingredients to ensure top quality products. Donuts are baked twice daily starting at 4:00 AM and 4:00 PM. We also offer a large variety of pastries, muffins, cookies, bread, desserts and cakes for all occasions including weddings. In fact V.G. Donut & Bakery makes the most reasonably priced and delicious wedding cakes in San Diego.

For many customers, V.G. Donut & Bakery has become a tradition, a Cardiff landmark. The quick moving line that extends out the doors daily is proof that V.G.’s is more than a bakery, it is an institution filled with familiar faces.
    Voted Best Donut in San Diego
    San Diego Magazine
    San Diego Music Magazine Readers’ Poll

Voted Best Bakery
    Best of .com

My experience - I tried cakes at a variety of different places and for the most part, they all tasted the same. The reason I went with V.G.'s is because they had the best value and they are well known in the ritzy community they are located in. I also liked that rather than having to sit there and taste the cakes, I was able to let him know which flavor cake I wanted, each additional flavor was an additional $5, but the cakes are a decent size and they were delicious. Overall, I can say that they were the best and most pleasant vendor I had to do business with.

Sent on 06/24/2008

Carole · Married on 08/20/2005

VG's is by far one of the best bakeries in San Diego and the cost of their delicious cakes is fractional compared to the "specialty" wedding cake suppliers. I had a specific idea for my cake and they were 100% willing to work with me to make my cake exactly the way I wanted it. It was perfect and their cakes are SO GOOD there's no need to go anywhere else. As a bonus they will make you a FRESH 8" cake for your 1 year anniversary for free!

Sent on 06/13/2008

Clare · Married on 03/31/2018

Delicious cakes at a fraction of the price of other vendors. You would honestly be silly to use anyone else for a wedding cake. Spend big bucks elsewhere.

Sent on 04/05/2018