Ventana Grill Reviews

24 | Pismo Beach, CA

24 Reviews for Ventana Grill

Suzanne · Married on 09/02/2017

Everything about this venue was perfect. I had originally planned to have my ceremony at Avila Beach but when my beach permit got denied, Macy at Ventana Grill saved the day with this cliff side ceremony location.

Sent on 09/06/2017

Kelly · Married on 07/09/2016

7/9/16 Wedding

I would absolutely recommend Ventana to anyone considering a beach wedding on the Central Coast. We started searching for venues soon after our engagement in spring of 2015. We knew that we wanted to get married at or near the beach, and Ventana was truly the most beautiful, while still being reasonably priced compared to other venues in the same area. We started our planning process with Chantal, who was super prompt at responding to our emails and questions. About seven months before our wedding, we booked a food tasting at Ventana, which was so fun (and yummy!). At that time, we also met Macy, who took over for Chantal. Macy was also amazingly prompt with her responses to email, and made us feel at ease about the how the whole day would progress. The Best Western began doing construction on the cliffside in the months before our wedding, which was unexpected (and the tractors and dirt made us a bit nervous about the wedding venue we were expecting). However, Macy kept in contact with us and the hotel construction company to give us updates on the progress. About a week before the wedding, they completely re-landscaped the area, and it ended up looking AMAZING on our wedding day. We purchased ceremony coordination through Ventana, and I am SO glad we did. We had Macy and Hannah practice with us at the rehearsal, and they were amazingly helpful for our guests and wedding party on the day-of. So many of our guests have commented about the amazingly delicious food and drinks, and (obviously) the stunning location. Our wedding ended up being exactly how I always imagined, and Ventana (and all the staff) were definitely responsible for making it perfect!

Sent on 07/23/2016

Christina · Married on 09/19/2015

The Ventana Grill was the perfect choice for our wedding day. The ceremony location at the Best Western was just gorgeous. And having the ocean view for the reception at the Ventana Grill was perfect. Our guests came from the bay area and could not believe how beautiful this venue was. I also feel for this type of venue, the pricing was reasonable. Everything about this venue was perfect from the food, location, staff, bartender and wedding coordinators. Everyone was very helpful. The planning process went very smoothly and the coordinators were fantastic to work with. We're so thrilled we chose Ventana Grill as our venue. I would highly recommend a wedding here.

Sent on 10/25/2015

April · Married on 03/21/2015

I can't imagine getting married anywhere else! The most beautiful location along the coast! Chantal and Lisa were so helpful throughout the whole process. Everything came out perfect and the views are breathtaking! If your getting married on the central coast this the place to do it!!!!

Sent on 05/01/2015

This is seriously the best bang for your buck ! I got married here and the location, venue & staff exceeded my expectations. I am from Las Vegas so I was planning a wedding a state away. I spoke to Chantal & Lisa, the wedding coordinators, via phone & email and they were so helpful and made it easy to put my wedding in their hands. I am a bit of a control freak so it was hard for me to depend on someone a state away . They were so flexible and also had great ideas to help me along the way. They also provided me with spreadsheets and diagrams to help break it down & keep track of the process. Once I finally got to meet Lisa & Chantal face to face at the rehearsal it was like seeing old friends. The food was fantastic! The presentation & tastes were amazing, & wasn't bland at all, like most wedding food . All of my guests had a terrific time and can not stop with the compliments of the staff, food, & of course the view !!!

Sent on 11/17/2014

Megan · Married on 08/09/2014

We couldn't have imagined getting married anywhere else! The Ventana Grill was a wonderful venue. The natural surroundings were incredible, and the staff was so lovely and helpful during the entire process. The food was delicious. We recommend this venue entirely.

Sent on 09/13/2014

Kristyn · Married on 08/02/2014

I was so happy I chose this venue for my wedding! Not only was the venue beautiful, but Chantal did an amazing job coordinating and really did make my special day special! It was really important to me for my day to be as stress-free as possible for me and my family and Chantal really made this happen. She was very quick to respond to my emails and always answered every question I had in detail up to the day of the wedding. I even sent her on a mission to find me money bags for the money dance the day before the wedding and she gladly did. She set up everything as I had envisioned and really made the day go smoothly! Thank you Chantal! Besides the great coordinator, the venue speaks for itself. Both the ceremony and the reception location were beautiful and speak for themselves and I couldn't be happier with how it looked! Also, I never tried the food before the wedding and, even though I have heard great reviews, I was a little nervous but it was delicious! We had an option of Chicken Marsala or NY Steak and, although both were great, the Chicken Marsala was to die for!

Sent on 08/19/2014
  • Y

Yvette · Married on 07/12/2014

I had my ceremony out in the Ventana Grill lawn area overlooking the ocean am it was simply breathtaking. Chantal is the event person to talk to and let me just say, she did one heck of a job!!! She responded to all my emails right away and was the sweetest person ever! I was extremely happy with everything about our ceremony. Looked beyond beautiful. So you Chantal for all your help.

Sent on 07/15/2014

Joanna · Married on 04/05/2014

This venue is even more beautiful in person then in photos, the staff was so professional and extremely attentive. The food was amazing, we had so many compliments on everything. You can't find a better location on the West Coast.

Sent on 09/29/2014

Kathryn · Married on 11/01/2012

Excellent venue, great staff, perfect choice! We highly recommend!

Sent on 11/11/2012
  • Jaimie

Jaimie · Married on 10/27/2012

This has to be the absolute most beautiful place to have a wedding!!! The scenery is out of this world!!! We made the 2 hr trip and so did 32 of our guest to be married here and we would do it a million times over! We were married at the gazebo on a cliff over the Pacific Ocean and then had our reception in the Sunset Room in the Ventana Grill where our guest got to watch the sunset as we had dinner. Our cordinaters Lindsey and Chantel did an amazing job putting everything together and were so helpful with giving us a prefered vendors list since we were from out of town. Our Waiters and Hosts that night treated us so great! The waiter kept saying it was my day and would help me first and was there for whatever I needed! The food is out of this world delicious! One of our starters was Clam Chowder and it was the best clam chowder I have ever tasted! All of our guest are still talking about how beautiful our wedding was and how smooth and perfect everything went. Having the best possible weather you ask for that weekend did help out alot as well! Ventana Grill definitely made our wedding a day we will never forget, nor will our Guest! Thank you Ventana Grill for making my day so perfect!

Sent on 11/16/2012

Lori · Married on 05/07/2011

The Ventana Grill and it's staff were amazing. The view is spectacular and all our guests could not stop commenting on how good the food was. Mary and Jennifer helped to make our special day perfect. Thank you so much for all your help

Sent on 07/20/2011

alex · Married on 06/07/2015

Chantal, the manager, was very helpful and accommodating to our every need. Friendly staff, gourmet food, and a wonderful view of the sunset over the ocean!

Sent on 11/29/2015

Dori · Married on 08/17/2013

This place is amazing for weddings! The girls that help you figure out all the details were so helpful and easy to work with! Most def a great place to get married if you are looking for amazing pictures!

Sent on 09/26/2013

Kelsey · Married on 10/01/2016

I got married at Ventana Grill in October 2016. We had about 50 guests, and had both our ceremony and reception here. The service was excellent, and they were very easy to work with during the planning process. Since it's a restaurant, they provide all the basics likes chairs and tables, and also handle the set up and break down. Catering is also obviously part of the package, and although the meals are a bit higher priced than if you were to go with a more DIY venue with an outside caterer, the dinner portions were very big and the service during dinner was great. I just wish slightly more substantial appetizer options were included with our catering package, instead of having to pay extra for them.

The ceremony site is very pretty. We did not have any additional decorations for the ceremony, aside from the arch they provide, and I don't really feel like any were needed because the area is very well landscaped. The reception room was the perfect size for our small wedding. You could probably fit a larger wedding comfortably as well, depending on the placement of the dance floor.

Before my wedding, a lot of people warned me that I wouldn't have time to eat during the reception, or that it would just fly by and I wouldn't really have time to just sit back and enjoy it. This definitely wasn't the case for us though. Ventana Grill did such a good job handling everything that there was nothing I had to worry about and I got to really enjoy the reception with our family and friends. My husband and I both remarked that even though it was our wedding, it was almost felt like we were attending someone else's wedding (in a good way), because we were so relaxed! Overall, I would highly recommend Ventana Grill to anyone looking for a beach venue on the Central Coast.

Sent on 10/17/2016

Erin · Married on 08/20/2011

My wife and I loved having our wedding reception at the Ventana. The view is absolutely amazing and our guests were awed by the sunset view. The room downstairs is private from the rest of the restaurant and has a 270 degree view. Unbelievable!

When we first booked The Ventana, Jennifer and Mary were our points of contact. We had more interaction with Jennifer and she was really good. Special thanks to Mary for setting up a great food tasting.
    We had a little snag when we called back a few weeks later only to find out that Mary and Jennifer had moved on and were replaced by "Ashley." It was a little rocky getting back on track but Ashley did outstanding job picking up where the others left off.

The only other snafu was that our setup time the day before the ceremony was cancelled because the wedding prior to ours booked more time. Although it was a pain and to her credit, Ashley met our setup crew at 7am the morning of the ceremony to get final details sorted out.

The actual event was flawless and so enjoyable.
    The food was even better than expected... so good.

We would definitely recommend The Ventana!
    - Joel & Erin

Sent on 10/15/2011

Karina · Married on 05/09/2015

3.5

We choose Ventana Grill for our wedding venue. It is such a beautiful location and set good vibes for our special day. Initially we had a hard time booking an appointment to see the venue. They were busy hosting events so it took a while to iron out our first viait/consultation. However, once we booked the even the staff was very responsive and checked in quite a bit leading up to the event. The food tasting was amazing and it was truly hard to pick out what dish to go with. All of our guest raved about the food and ambiance. I would highly recomend this venue to anyone!

Sent on 08/02/2015

Susan · Married on 10/15/2011

Although there had been some changes in the events staff during the planning of my wedding you would not have known it. The change was so smooth with Ashley the new events person. She was actually a lot better to work with that the previous staff who you could tell were burnt out. Ashley dealt with all of our questions and even made sure the event went smoothly the day of. Later another young lady joined her Stacie and they both made our day absolutely fantastic I could not have imagined it any better. The views were spectacular, the room , the food, the guests it was just a memorable evening.

Sent on 10/18/2011

Kristin · Married on 07/30/2016

4.2

We had our ceremony on the lawn in front of Best Western and our reception for 70 people in the Pacific Room at Ventana Grill. Macy and Hannah were wonderful to work with, the food was delicious, and the views just cannot be beat. We have photographs that look like picture perfect postcards. :)

Sent on 08/28/2016
  • Vanessa

Vanessa · Married on 10/08/2011

I actually didn't have my event at the Ventana Grill but used their events department for our ceremony site which is at the Shore Cliffs Best Western. I checked out A LOT of venues on the coast of California for our wedding and this spot is the most INCREDIBLY BEAUTIFUL place ever!!! It is this amazing cliff over the ocean, with a gazebo and grass area that will blow your mind. My guests could not believe where we were. The Ventana Grill will set the ceremony up, reserve the site assist with running the ceremony itself. If you you want to get married on the ocean, then this is the place!!! The photos are amazing and I cannot say enough about the view!!! INCREDIBLE!!!

Sent on 10/21/2011

Misty · Married on 04/25/2010

3.6
      3.0

My venue became the Ventana Grill when the original venue was bought out after I had a contract and paid the deposit, so I was stuck. The transition made communication very difficult (I never received any notice when Ventana fired all of the original employees, and they didn't close the old staff's email accounts). When I did connect with the new staff, Lizz, the coordinator was very helpful. There was plenty of room for miscommunication though, like when her assistant said my rehersal time was only "penciled in" and they were going to move me, or when the same asistant showed up to direct my rehersal without ever having spoken with me, thereby confusing me and all my guests and contradicting what I was telling my wedding party. The food, however, was fabulous. Liz assured me that the food would be fantastic and she was true to her word (my original tasting was with the former company and I lived too far to come [and assume the travel expense] for another). Built right on the ocean cliff with full panaramic windows on three sides, the views are breathtaking, and the renovations well done. I think with time to get their act together, your money is well worth spent here if you love the ocean.

Sent on 05/13/2010
  • W

Wendy · Married on 09/20/2013

3.2
      1.0
      3.0

Really good food the chef was amazing communication with the coordinator could have been better but over all nice to work with a bit pricey though for what we asked for

Sent on 10/07/2013

Mimi · Married on 05/05/2012

3.0

The venue has a beautiful view

Sent on 05/22/2012

CZ · Married on 07/30/2011

2.4
      1.0
      3.5
      2.5

Where should we start…let’s see, go somewhere else! The best thing about this venue is the location. It is absolutely amazing! We couldn’t find a better one for our Wedding Ceremony and Reception. However, the Event Staff is absolutely a mess. Perhaps once they get themselves in order this will be the premier location on the Central Coast for a wedding, but we recommend extreme caution if you’re considering this place. And reading old reviews from the last couple years, it seems like they have a track record of un-organization missed responsibilities despite having replaced staff again and again. Unfortunately, the same occurred during our involvement with them. The first meeting went well with the original Event Personal, Jennifer. She was pleasant and seemed to be very accommodative, offering to “throw in” this and that, later we determined it seemed to be merely to get us to sign on with them. The subsequent meetings seemed to bring out the true colors with Jennifer and her partner Mary. Jennifer no longer seemed to be so accommodating and instead the things she offered seemed to disappear unless we wanted to pay for them. Her partner Mary was extremely unorganized and over all very scattered. She scribbled notes on scratch paper and had to be reminded several times about details we had already gone over with great detail. They both dodged any type of assistance to us again and again, and would instead put responsibilities back on us that should have been theirs. They were unwilling to provide feedback regarding the coordination of our wedding even though the aspects included their location and arrangement. Then, about 2 ½ weeks before our wedding, they both quit, now imagine how that made us feel. And we didn’t find out by being notified by Ventana, or the managing company Compass Health. We found out after not receiving any response from our phone calls and emails. We had to stake out at Ventana and hound a restaurant manager in order to get any answers. At first we were told they were out due to personal and medical issues. After pressing a bit because the story sounded foul, they confessed that the two had quit because they were not happy. So perhaps their attitude was due to their dealings with management, either way they should not have transferred their discontent to us and we still found them to be horribly unorganized and unprofessional. We were assigned to another person, Ashly, who we really liked and assured us things would get back on track as she would be the one handling our event going forward. Then a few days later we could not get a hold of her and found out that she went on a vacation that had been scheduled for some time. She never told us that she had a vacation scheduled but instead assured us it would be her who would be running our event. Once again, the management never notified us about this, we had to find out through our own means. Then we were passed onto a couple new people who would ask the same questions again and again even though we provided very organized typed documents and spreadsheets with the various details and information that they needed, several times even. The 2 ½ weeks leading up to our wedding were very stressful because of all disruptions in personnel at Ventana/Compass Health. After working with some new people for a few days, we AGAIN were contacted by yet more different people who now were apparently handling our event and who were asking many of the same previously answered questions. We dealt with approximately 7 different people in the last 2 ½ weeks, and we say approximate because it was hard to keep track and 7 is all we could say for sure. We did not meet the two staff members that were actually present and in charge the day of our event until the rehearsal the day before. Even then one of them was inclined to again ask some very basic questions. Finally, being totally past fed up at this point, we snapped at them and they backed off. Luckily we hired Brittany’s Bridal Bliss early enough in the process that she was able to fully manage our event. If not for her the day would have gone extremely different in the wrong direction we’re sure of it. We had our Ceremony space allotted to us for 2 hours, no one was allowed to be on the grounds except our attendees and wedding party. However, minutes after the ceremony while we were in hiding so our guests could make their way to the reception, another wedding party from a completely different location swept in and started taking pictures at our site. The Ventana/Compass Health staff was nowhere to be found. We had to personally go down there with our Planner and ask them to move along since we needed the area for pictures. The Compass Health Manager did compensate us monetarily and waive the cost for the Ceremony Site as a way to apologize for our troubles so that did help. But we would not recommend this venue unless you can be sure that their Event Coordinators are locked in and have a great grasp on what needs to be done for such an important event. The wait staff seemed to be average. The bar tender was really good and on it, especially with our request to not allow shots. He upheld our specific requests and did not back down to persistent guests unless we approved. There was, however, a tip bucket placed on the bar counter and after the reception we got the bill and saw that 20% gratuity was already included so we were not happy at all about that. If we would have known that 20% gratuity was automatically included we would have had the tip bucket put away to save our guests from feeling inclined to paying additional tips. I’m sure it was in the contract and we missed it so be aware of that situation. Also, be cautious about the “complimentary” linens. We found some of them to be in tough shape, stains, marks, errors in the sewing, stuff like that. Lastly, the beef selection that we were given was NOT the same as what we had at our tasting. At our tasting there was an exquisite beef roast of some sort that you could cut through with your fork and melted in your mouth. We were served tri-tip. It was okay, but it was tri-tip and it wasn’t what we sampled. Their menu has since changed so I’m not sure what’s offered at this point. The moral of the story, make sure and GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING and really trust your gut as to if this is the right place for you. Ventana/Compass Health has a long way to go from how our event was handled so if the location means that much to you, hire Brittany’s Bridal Bliss to manage the event and tell the Ventana/Compass Health Event Staff to stand aside and just make sure they do what they’re supposed to do.

Sent on 08/24/2011