Top Shelf Photo Reviews

Top Shelf Photo 5
Top Shelf Photo 6
Top Shelf Photo 7

austin · Getting married on 10/04/2019

Shaun is absolutely the BEST!! My fiancé and I are NOT comfortable in front of the camera and Shaun takes all of the stress out of it. Somehow he catches all of the magical moments in between where a couple is natural. He shot me asking josh to marry me at Balboa Park and also our engagement pictures at the beach. I’m am SO happy with all the pictures & can’t wait to see what comes for the wedding! THANK YOU SHAUN!!!

Sent on 08/05/2018
    Top Shelf Photo 8
    Top Shelf Photo 9
    Top Shelf Photo 10
  • Katie

Katie Roemer · Married on 11/17/2018

Perfectly captured our special day

We loved working with Shaun. I was so lucky to have met him at a bridal expo at my venue, Bella Collina, where he had previously worked. Not only is he an incredible photographer, but he knew our venue inside and out. Over the last year, I followed Bella Collina on instagram, and I was always able to tell when they were featuring one of Shaun's photos. He has an amazing ability to find the light, and his pictures are that much more special. He is so easy going and easy to work with, he isn't pushy at all. He just kind of lets you be with little direction, and is able to capture all of the amazing moments. He is also incredibly responsive, I barely hit send on an email or a text, and I've already heard back from him. I cannot recommend him enough!

Sent on 12/18/2018
    Top Shelf Photo 11

Rosanne · Married on 09/15/2018

First things first: Book Shaun for your wedding NOW.

Next, some amazing things about working with Shaun and his team: All of his photos are amazing and everyone (including us) gushes over them. He delivered preview shots within a week and his turnaround time on the full set of photos was unbelievable; I was bunkering down to wait for them for at least a few months, at least. My partner and I believe we are not very photogenic people, but Shaun takes all your bad posture and crinkly laugh faces, and works magic with you and the camera. While doing my research, I had many photographers try to upsell me on everything under the sun, such add on photoshoots (no thanks; we are out of towners and had an engagement shoot done already); crazy amounts of prints (didn't own a house yet; what size print would I even want right now?). Shaun was different - he was no frills because he knows he's the best. (If he doesn't know that, he should.)

Lastly, thank you for being our photographer through our whole wedding day, Shaun! Your experience shooting weddings is very clear. We appreciated your advice that went well above and beyond how to stand in photos. Our day would not have been as great as it was without you and your team, and your work will help us remember it whenever we feel sentimental (which, right now, is still every day).

Sent on 10/02/2018
    Top Shelf Photo 12
    Top Shelf Photo 13
    Top Shelf Photo 14
    Top Shelf Photo 15

Jenny · Married on 07/31/2017

Top Shelf Photo is hands down one of the most reliable, honest, hard working photographers in the industry. Shaun's laid back,but well thought out approach always delivers a sophisticated product that families and loved ones will cherish and keep dear to their hearts for a lifetime!

Sent on 07/25/2017
  • Deanna

Deanna · Married on 02/18/2017

We booked Shaun for our engagement and wedding photos. Shaun was great! He was very responsive and prompt. We didn’t have to wait long for our pictures. He had a fantastic eye and I would highly recommend him! Thanks for the fantastic photos!

Sent on 03/24/2017

Charlotte · Married on 09/17/2016

Shaun is so incredibly talented and simply amazing. From the moment that we first communicated, Shaun responds so quickly and answers every single question so thoroughly. Our engagement shoot was simply breathtaking. Our photos were a dream. Shaun was patient and really helped my fiancee loosen up to be able to have some fun in front of the camera! Shaun has such an eye and really captured the photos that we are going to cherish forever. After we received our engagement photos, I knew that we were in the best hands and we had nothing to worry about at our wedding.

One the day of the wedding, Shaun was early and ready to go! He was so accommodating and came to a different location to capture the girls before the wedding. Shaun knew which photos meant the most to me and really concentrated on them. During our bridal party photos, Shaun was so patient with a very excited group of people and really ensured that we got the photos that we wanted. Shaun ended up stayed 30 minutes later to ensure that he captured everything including our grand exit, which was SO appreciated.

Shaun sent us 5 preview photos THE DAY AFTER WE GOT MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!! I was absolutely blown away and could not believe how fast we got our photos! I've had friends that had to wait months to get their photos and could not believe how fast, and how beautiful these photos were. We got the rest of our photos after just 5 days. My family was still in town and we were able to look over them together. The amount of photos that we received was amazing. They are all so beautiful and Shaun is so incredibly talented. If I could give Shaun more stars, I would. He captured the best day of our lives and went above and beyond to ensure that we had the photos that captured the love, laughter and enjoyment that everyone there felt.

Sent on 09/29/2016

jenny · Married on 05/07/2016

I could not be any happier with the amazing photos from my wedding. Hands down Shaun has an eye for gorgeous shots. He is super creative and captures every important moment. I happen to see pics on insta gram that he did at night and I instantly fell in love. I met him san diego looked at his work and that was it! He gave me ideas as to where we should go for engagement pics and they turned out incredible. I love his laid back style, yet he kept us all on time and didn't take hours of photos after the ceremony. Shaun has an eye for detail and I love every single pic he took! Oh did i Mention I received sneak peek pics while on my honeymoon then received the rest a week later. Shaun is professional and I hope to work with him again in the future. Thank you shaun for capturing the most important day of my life that i will cherish forever!

Sent on 05/25/2016

Kathryn · Married on 01/16/2016

Top Shelf Photo photographed our wedding in mid-January 2016 in Temecula. Shaun was amazing to work with from before the wedding, to during, to receiving the amazing pictures after. Before deciding on Top Shelf Photo, I took a long time visiting different photography sites, and was very impressed with the work I saw on Top Shelf's site. I am so glad we chose to work with Top Shelf Photo on our wedding day! Shaun is a true artist and has a great sense of light. I have not stopped looking at our wedding photos since receiving them--they totally captured every minute of our special day! Friends and family are equally impressed with his work.

He was a pleasure to be around on what can be a very stressful day. He was easy-going and had great ideas about getting shots I hadn't thought of. He listened to what I wanted and exceeded my expectations. After all the planning and work that goes into creating your wedding day--do not cut corners on recording these moments that can never be captured again! I highly recommend Top Shelf Photo!

Sent on 04/01/2016

Michelle · Married on 10/30/2015

Like all the others here, I am SO GLAD we decided to use Top Shelf Photography for our wedding. Shaun is so relaxed and really knows how to deal with the stress of a wedding - it helped me to be more relaxed. Shaun knows when to be forceful, how to work a room without being noticed, and also when to be the center of attention (full group pictures)! I would HIGHLY encourage you to chose Shaun as your photographer for any life event you have. I know he will remain ours! :-)

Sent on 11/04/2015

Marcia · Married on 09/06/2015

Top Shelf Photo captured our wedding at the Crowne Plaza San Diego 5 weeks ago, and we are so happy we hired Shaun!
    We were referred to Shaun and I went on his website and saw beautiful work. His Yelp reviews were encouraging, so we contacted him right away and met with him in San Diego. He was pleasant to chat with, and his packages were very reasonable. We went with his top package that included 2 photographers for 10 hours. Shaun showed up at our venue on time, and he was good at keeping us on schedule and he always knew what was next on the timeline. I liked the all detailed shots he took of my accessories, flowers, dress, and ceremony/reception decor. I felt he worked well alongside our videographers. He was open to all my ideas for the different locations and types of shots. I really love the getting ready photos of my bridesmaids! My groom and I had a first look session, then we took a party bus to Cabrillo Monument where we got some pretty photos with a view, despite it being so windy! We get a lot of comments for the pics overlooking the ocean! My husband appreciated that Shaun directed our family and was always in control of the photo shoot. That was exactly what we were looking for. We actually completed our family/sponsor photos 1 hour ahead of schedule, before the ceremony! That's unheard of! I had time to relax, eat a sandwich, and drink a cocktail before I walked down the aisle! It really was a perfect day! The ceremony photos turned out great and he caught some emotional shots of my guests. I got to mingle during cocktails and the reception was a just a whirlwind of fun! My favorite photos were of my first dance, father daughter, the group shot, and our money dance!I got my digital edited photos not too long after, and recently received our album, which included a lot more photos than I thought it would! We loved it so much we ordered 2 more! Top Shelf Photo was great to work with and we will recommend Shaun to all our friends!

Sent on 10/12/2015

Lauren · Married on 07/18/2015

Shaun was such a great photographer and so awesome to work with. We met with him prior to our wedding in July 2015 just to get a feel for his style. We instantly liked him and his work. We kept in contact some prior to the wedding and I gave him a few ideas of what I was looking for. I love his style because it is kind of like a 'photojournalist' feel, looking at my pictures you can really feel like you were there and get all the emotion of the day.
    My husband was really not excited about getting his picture taken however Shaun was awesome because you almost didn't even notice he was there! We have such amazing pictures of the entire day and everyone who has seen the pictures loves them! I also thought it was a great value; I would recommend him to anyone. Thanks Shaun!

Sent on 09/13/2015

Lesleyanne · Married on 03/14/2015

Stop reading this review and just book Shaun now.

I'll wait.

If there's one thing you need to know about Shaun it's this: when I got all my wedding photos back I texted him: "You need to charge more." And I meant it.

We searched for weeks for a photographer that we felt matched our wedding personalities. We didn't want to look too posed or fake, and we wanted someone with an eye for light, because our wedding was to start around sunset. Through another wedding photographer, we found Shaun.

My husband and I truly enjoyed working with him every step of the way. He's an all-around great guy. Upon watching our home video of the wedding, we were shocked to see how much he moved around and worked to get the shots, while staying out of our moments.

I shared a few of our shots on Facebook, and my family began commenting how they looked like they were straight out of a fairy tale. One of my family members used the photo as her cover photo and she's not even in it! Some are just surreal and I'm so impressed at the way he captured the light.

If you want or need someone to pose you, Shaun may not be your guy. But if you want someone that will keep an eye out for beautiful moments and do his best to capture them, I would encourage you to use Top Shelf. He went above and beyond for us and I'm looking forward to using him for family photos and will absolutely recommend him to family and friends.

Sent on 04/11/2015

Alex · Married on 12/27/2014

Shaun was very professional, patient, and gave us fantastic photos to treasure for the rest of our lives. He shot our engagement pictures, which I would recommend to anyone - it gives you a chance to get to know each other and get a sense of style. If there is anything that is missing in the engagement shoot, you can be sure to adjust for the wedding. As it happened with us, we were very happy with the first shoot, so no adjustments needed to be made. Great energy. Great talent. Great value.

Sent on 02/23/2015

Great to work with! Flexible options.

Sent on 02/23/2015

Julianne · Married on 11/01/2014

Finding a good photographer can be extremely stressful. So many will try to overcharge you and then deliver horrible quality photos. Finding Top Shelf Photography was like striking gold. Shaun Hagen is without a doubt one of the most talented photographers I have ever worked with or met. He has so much talent and was able to capture my wedding more beautifully than I could have dreamed . He is very creative and professional while being personable. He not only focused on the photography but took the time to help make sure the day ran smoothly . All of my guests were raving about him by the end. I would recommend him to anyone and cannot sing enough praise about how great he is.

Sent on 01/22/2015

Shaun was fantastic! He was always in touch with us before the wedding, leading up to the day. He takes the time to capture every moment going on around him and editing skills are superb! I've worked in the wedding industry for years and I have yet to come across a photographer that cares and is as good as Shaun is. He truly blows most photographers out of the water!

We can't wait to use him again for future family events. Thanks again to Shaun and Top Shelf Photo!

Sent on 11/14/2014

Percival · Married on 10/12/2014

Shaun is truly an amazing photographer! My wife and I were extremely pleased with the service he provided and were very impressed with our wedding photos. They turned out perfect! Below is the email we sent Shaun after receiving our pictures:

Wow! The photos turned out amazing!! Lauren and I always talk about how we remember every moment of our day and seeing the photos brings back that awesome feeling we experienced. We've been so busy with work, we haven't had the time together to relax and look at the photos until last night. We enjoyed every shot we flipped through. We can't thank you enough for bringing back those feelings we felt that day through your pics. They are sharp! Also, thank you for including the pic of you and I, even though it was out of focus, it brings back memory of you being there for us. Wish we had more photos of you with us.

I told Lauren that we'll do this again in 20 years when we renew our vows...everything will be the same. I'd like to book you now for that day...I'm serious. Great job, Shaun. Thank you so much!

Sent on 01/07/2015

Angelica · Married on 10/10/2014

Shaun was absolutely fantastic to work with! From the beginning he was easy to get a hold of and would respond very quickly to any questions we had. He truly has a great an eye for capturing the perfect pictures. We were amazed at some of the moments he had captured and how artistic they were. We have received so many compliments on our pictures and we cannot have been more pleased with our choice!

Sent on 12/09/2014

I live in Virginia, but was planning a destination wedding in San Diego. In researching photographers out there, I found quite a few, but most of them were way above our budget and their photos were just not inspiring. Someone recommended that I check out Top Shelf Photo and not 30 seconds after I clicked on the website, I was on the phone with Shaun hoping and praying that he was available on our wedding day. Thankfully he was and I couldn't be happier with the results. His prices are super reasonable and not only did he come early, he stayed late to get some amazing night shots. He was easy to work with; he had his own artistic visions and suggestions for photos, but was also totally open to special requests from us and our families. He even got his fancy shoes all sandy and wet to get some amazing beach shots! We got our photos back super fast (less than 3 weeks!) and can't wait to get many enlarged and printed. Working with Shaun was a great experience and I would highly recommend him to anyone in need of some really stellar photos!!

Natalie · Married on 09/28/2014

My husband and I enjoyed Top Shelf Photo. Not only were they pleasant, professional and accommodating, the photographs were breathtaking. We had the pleasure of using them for our engagement photos, wedding and they also made our album for us. I could not have done a better job myself. If I need a photographer again, I will use them without hesitation. I recommend them to anyone who needs a quality photographer.

Sent on 12/12/2014

Meagan · Married on 09/19/2014

Our photos are beautiful. We are so appreciative of Shauns hard work and flexibility. Thank you!

Chris · Married on 09/19/2014

Very professional. Awesome pictures!

Riya · Married on 08/30/2014

Shaun was the photographer for our wedding on the 30th of August and we couldn't be happier with our choice!!! Shaun is very professional and manages to keep his cool even when everything is a buzz going on around him. The photos from the day look amazing!! We were honestly blown away by how beautiful the photos turned out. Shaun did such an incredible job of capturing the "special moments" as they unfolded naturally. The photos were edited and mailed to us in a timely manner so we could print them off and mail them out to family and friends.

If you have the opportunity to work with Shaun, you are in for a real treat! Shaun is such a lovely guy with a good sense of humor and is an absolute pleasure to work with.

I want to be able to look back on my wedding photos many years from now and when I look at the pictures, I want it to be able to take me back to the exact moment in time. I want the photos to evoke those same feelings that I felt on that day. Any good photographer can take beautiful photos. A great photographer can evoke emotions through the power of their lens. Shaun is a great photographer!!

For something as important and special as your wedding day (or any significant life event for that matter), I wouldn't trust anyone else to capture life's magical moments!

Sent on 11/06/2014

melissa · Married on 07/03/2014

I used Top Shelf Photo for my wedding 7/3/14, and couldn't be more pleased! Shaun kept in close contact throughout my wedding planning. He showed up early, and left later than planned (because the wedding went slightly over). He's kind, professional, and AMAZING at what he does! I've been in over 7 weddings, and EVERY wedding, the photographer never seems to know what poses to put the bridesmaids in, and always seems overwhelmed. This was NOT the case for my wedding. Shaun was very calm, and knew exactly what he was doing. It was nice to just sit back, and have total trust in the photographer. When I saw my pictures online, I just burst into tears with excitement! I will definitely use Top Shelf Photo again in the future!
    Melissa L.

Sent on 07/16/2014

Tawny · Married on 10/05/2013

Shaun and his assistant photographer Joel were very professional and took some really amazing photos at our wedding in October 2013. They kept it easy and low pressure. The turn around for getting our pics back was very fast about 2 weeks for all the digital copies and about another 2 weeks for the actual album delivered in my hands. Shaun managed everyone beautifully and got some really creative shots. He also took my requests to heart and the pictures came out exactly like I wanted. My husband is not very photogenic but somehow Top Self Photo was able to capture my handsome man perfectly. We had a Photo Booth and and he also did our engagement pics (all part of our package) He was affordable and very easy going. Highly recommend!

Sent on 11/07/2014