Tohono Chul Reviews

3.8

• Sara
    Sara A. Married on 11/13/2021

November Wedding

I cannot say enough good things about the venue and the staff at TC. We originally planned our wedding for 2020, but had to reschedule for 2021. TC was very flexible and the transition to the new wedding planner, Helena, was seamless. She made the entire experience so stress free. She made such an effort to really understand us and what we wanted. We didn’t even realize how much we needed her until the process began- she was incredible. She asked all the right questions, advocated for us, and kept us on track. The day of she was a total rockstar. The ceremony space was beyond beautiful; everything went so perfectly. She was by my side the day of escorting myself and my bridesmaids around to where we needed to go. She was so helpful and calming. It’s all a blur but Helena handing me a drink and making sure I ate some food stands definitely stands out. I always felt like she had my back. We are so happy with how everything turned out, thank you!!

Tohono Chul's reply:

Thank you so much for the praise, truly makes what I do so fulfilling to have happy clients like you! It was such a pleasure working with both of you! Y'all are such a beautiful couple and I am so happy to have been part of your special day :)
    Congrats again and many many wishes of a lifetime full of love! Call me if you find yourself planning a baby shower;)
    Love,
    Helena Riggins
    Tohono Chul
    Jessica Married on 09/02/2017
    Our wedding was truly magical. While the venue was easy to work with the caters were amazing! Samantha (who we worked with) went above and beyond in making sure our night turned out the best that it possibly could have. The food was incredible and the transformation of the venue space between ceremony and reception turned out great. We couldn't be happier.

Tohono Chul's reply:

Thank you for choosing Tohono Chul and the Garden Bistro to host your beautiful wedding. It was truly our pleasure to work with you and your husband. We wish you many years of happiness.

Warm Regards,
    Samantha Faust & Staff
    Garrett R. Married on 11/20/2021

Happy Newlyweds!

We chose Tohono Chul as our venue in December 2019 for a fall 2020 wedding. When the pandemic forced us to change our initial date, they were very flexible and helpful allowing us to secure a new date.

We met our new coordinator, Helena, this summer, and were instantly impressed. She is kind and has a lot of experience. She continually emphasized that our wedding day should be low stress, and she delivered on her promise to ensure a seamless event. She and the rest of the staff at the garden were attentive and helpful the entire day. We even got to eat a full meal - who else gets to say that about their wedding day?

As they staff are all still relatively new, they still have some growing pains to work out - all in all, our wedding day was fun and beautiful. The venue was gorgeous at night with all the lights on the flora. We would recommend Tohono Chul as a venue with an elegant vibe that is quintessentially Tucson.

Garrett & Miranda,
    Y'all were such a pleasure to work with. Thank you so much for the kind words and your patience during covid and building our team! I hope you both have beautiful memories of your special day and our gardens for years to come :)
    Love, Helena Riggins
    Events Manager
    Tohono Chul
    Julie Married on 11/10/2007
    It was slightly difficult communicating and scheduling appointments, since I was living 2000 miles away. However, they did a great job setting up the venue, allowed us a lot of flexability, and even found a wheelchair at the last minute for a guest who needed it.
    Maddy Married on 11/11/2016
    Beautiful location. Took awhile to get in contact with the food and beverage coordinator but once we did she was very nice and helpful.

Tohono Chul's reply:

We are really excited about having your wedding in our Performance Garden Garden Bistro on November 11, 2016. Please feel free to contact me if you need anything.
    Carolyn M. Gallo, Event Sales Coordinator
    Joanna Married on 10/17/2009
    We worked primarily with Jeannine at the Park. We loved the setting - it was very beautiful. She didn't do much, other than put up a sign where she said she would. They let us have access to the site for the rehearsal the day before and for decorating several hours ahead of time. She tended to not have a lot of ideas, and they had some rules that limited what we could do (no water cooler, no throwing of things after the pronouncement). But we were able to have the ceremony we wanted, in a spectacular setting.

Just a quick word to the wise - it was pretty hot in mid-October (high of 98), and two of our guests fainted during the ceremony. Water might have been nice...
    Riannon Married on 11/22/2008
    Tohono Chul Park is gorgeous, and we loved having our wedding there. However, they became a little difficult to work with once we had paid them. During out initial meeting, we were pleased with their flexibility and their service. But as time went by, and the big day got closer, they began to change some of their initial promises, which made it very difficult to plan out details. For one, we were not allowed to use the electricity, which meant that our dj was useless, and we had to resort to a boombox. But, overall, the facility was beautiful.
    Erin C. Married on 10/03/2021

It was. Okay, I guess

When I first decided to go with this venue the coordinator at the time never responded to any of my emails. Halfway through the process they hired a new coordinator. She was, fine, I guess. Atleast she got back to me. But, she made me worry needlessly about issues which turned out not to be issues. And honestly when it came to the day, she didn't pull through. She didn't deliver the corsage to my MIL, she didn't tell my mother about the cake cutting so she missed it, there were so many of these issues.
    The catering was again, fine. The meats were good, the veggies were under cooked. My champagne flute kept disappearing (from the bridal table) and at the end of the night there were no more real glasses (which you rent on individually) and no water. I would have loved water the last hour of the night.
    I didn't even know we had a tea and coffee table.
    I also recommend better lighting. No one could see what they were getting from the buffet.
    The day was still nice bc of the people we invited. I'm just sad with the money we paid that it was a little underwhelming when it came to the actual service.
    J Married on 07/07/2012
    I had a beautiful wedding at Tohono Chul Park despite the massive mistakes made by the park in the process. My fiancé and I wanted to have our wedding outdoors and it was important to us to support an organization we felt was doing good work in the community. In the end this was the right place for us, but I wish we knew what we were getting into before hand. Hopefully, if you decide to have your wedding here, you will be better prepared.

Leading up to the wedding-- The rental coordinator was difficult to get a hold of, and did little other than confirm payments we made. In a letter we received a few weeks before the wedding she stated "as you know, we will have new caterers" for the wedding. We had no idea, and no one had been in touch with us, three weeks out. After a week of leaving voicemail and sending emails we finally reached the new caterer. They were amazing and picked up all the slack. They assured us the catering would go off without a hitch and it did. Additionally, the caterer informed us the two interior spaces (the Tea Room) would be under construction during our wedding! I'm not sure if this was a major oversight on the part of the park, or if they were trying to pull the wool over our eyes. We had 100 people at the wedding and needed that extra space, if only for people to escape the July heat. After some panicked phone calls and a visit to the park by our parents, they agreed to postpone construction. During all of this the rental coordinator was out on vacation and of no help whatsoever.

And finally- 30 minutes prior to the start of the ceremony, we had no chairs. The rental coordinator assured us the staff would set up the Performance Garden as part of our agreement. There was no one on hand to help (no one even knew there was a wedding going on!). Fortunately one of our musicians, who had done work for the park in the past, knew where the chairs were kept. He made some phone calls and got permission to break in to the storage room. Our parents and the musicians set up 100 chairs minutes before guests arrived. This set in motion a couple of other mistakes (not worth getting into here) and our wedding got off to a rocky start. The best part of all this was that the director of the park later called us and informed us that we needn't "worry about putting the chairs back" after the ceremony. Really?? How generous.

After the ceremony, everything went according to plan since the catering staff was in charge of the reception. I definitely needed a Prickly pear margarita after all of that!

Long story short- you can have a beautiful wedding here if you are willing to put in the extra effort to make sure park staff will actually follow through. I would highly recommend HIRING A COORDINATOR to stay on top of every detail-- get confirmation on everything multiple times. I did not have the time to do so, and as a result some significant mistakes were made.
    Allie Married on 04/02/2016
    They certainly put you through the wringer.

I was set on having a garden wedding and once I visited Tohono Chul, I knew it was the place I wanted to get married. However, two weeks before the wedding, our experience with them made me wish my husband and I had just run away and got eloped. The staff is miserable to deal with.

Setting up a tour was easy. They were nice, informative and happy to show us the grounds. During that initial tour, they told us that if we got the package where we rented the entire park, we would be the only wedding that day and thus our families and friends could come in and start setting up as early as 11 a.m. if we wanted. I was so thrilled to hear that because a lot of places did not have the flexibility. However, two weeks before the wedding, they told he that we couldn't start setting up until 3 because they booked another wedding the same afternoon. I was stunned. They blatantly lied to our faces and really put my family, friends and DJ in a tight spot to get everything set up in time.

As I mentioned, they were east to get a hold of at first, but once you give them a check, that's the last you'll hear from them. I think I spent hours listening to a ringing phone, being passed around, and placed on hold. They are impossible to get ahold of. So much so, we couldn't even get in touch with the catering people to schedule a food tasting. Once we scheduled the date, we never heard from her again about it. She would not return phone calls. She would not return emails. So we showed up to a food tasting having no idea what we were tasting because she couldn't bother returning our message so we could tell her what we wanted. And then she got snotty because we showed up with members of the wedding party that wanted to take part in the tasting, and snarked that they might not have enough for everyone. Well, if she had called us back..

One of the worst customer service experiences of my life. You have been warned.

Tohono Chul's reply:

Thank you for your feedback. Transparency is very important to us. To mitigate the potential for misunderstandings we delineate the difference between the service charge and tax in the contract to make sure the clients is aware of the distinction and approves prior to signing the contract. We never want anyone to feel confused by the contract and are happy to address any concerns prior to commitment.

Rentals that include food and beverage do receive a scheduled tasting, working in conjunction, and in advance with Tohono Chul staff. The tasting items are prepared in advance by the culinary team as the items are not available on the regular bistro menu, which can make it difficult to accommodate unanticipated additional guests that arrive at the tasting. We are happy to accommodate the additional guests, because the more the merrier, we just require 48 hours’ notice.

Customer service is the upmost importance to us. We try to always return calls, emails, and let our clients know that any questions they may have, we will answer them as soon as possible. We host a myriad of events throughout the day in the gardens, but restrict the private events to one per evening. Daytime weddings held in the Demonstration Gardens, not in the Performance Garden, are only available for parties with 25 guests or less and are not closed to the public like an evening rental.

We are also available to meet with any wedding party vendors that need to see the event space to better accommodate their load-in and event execution. Early access for decoration set-up is available in coordination with our staff and guidelines, as well as the understanding that the client provides all necessary supplies. As the gardens are open to the public until 5 p.m., it is not recommended to have equipment or decorations set up that can impede the experience for other visitors. That would also include sound checks, leaving the items unattended, or decoration collection post-event.