Thompson Island Outward Bound Education Center Reviews

Thompson Island Outward Bound Education Center 6
Thompson Island Outward Bound Education Center 7

Joyce Lin · Married on 05/11/2019

Extraordinary Venue for an Extraordinary Day

Denise, Mary Kate, Logan, Cody and the rest of the Thompson Island Outward Bound team made our wedding weekend extraordinary.

I had been interested in Thompson Island Outward Bound for our wedding, partially because it was important to me that my happy day also bring happiness to others and their mission of experiential, outdoor, STEM education for Boston kids resonated strongly with us.

The experience of taking the ferry boat to the venue was glorious-- entering the harbor takes you away from the city and just provides a space for you and your guests to feel the wind in your hair and let go of all the other distractions in your life.

Denise was really accommodating in letting me come visit and do some sketches so that I could create a watercolor illustration for our invitations.

Mary Kate was extremely responsive as we e-mailed her with questions down to the wire as our day approached. On the day itself, she checked in with me periodically to ensure things were going smoothly.

The team on the island were professional, friendly, and really helpful for any questions our guests had. The kitchen staff even got some breakfast ready for one of our youngest guests when he insisted on going to visit the cafeteria well before breakfast was scheduled!

The island is beautiful. We were so fortunate that the weather was excellent for our early spring wedding. The trees were blooming and leafing out. The pavilion where the dinner, dancing, and bar for cocktail hour are located already had twinkle lights in place, lots of natural lighting and was open to the beach air and views, so didn't need much decoration.

Our guests thoroughly enjoyed the New England clambake complete with lobster, the lawn games, and the bonfire with s'mores (My 13 year-old second cousin had 5!). Cody answered our questions about the wildlife on the island and took care of the bonfire for us.

The atmosphere of the island was perfect for our mellow picnic-atmosphere, kid-friendly wedding. The staff-driven golf carts were really helpful in getting us to places for our photos as well as making everything accessible for our guests that weren't as steady on their feet. Everyone was asking us how we'd found such a special place.

Getting to stay overnight and meet up at breakfast the next morning was a great way to get to spend more time with our guests as well.

All of our vendors were excited to work with Thompson Island and had a great experience there as well.

Sent on 06/03/2019

Bob G · Married on 06/23/2018

Amazing team and venue!

We had a wonderful experience working with Denise and Beth and everyone we encountered. They helped us carry out our dream wedding. They were creative, flexible, responsive and so so helpful! When you consider that the proceeds from your wedding go to support an amazing nonprofit organization, how can you even go wrong?!

Sent on 12/26/2018

Jennifer · Married on 06/25/2016

We got married on Thompson Island in June! It was the most beautiful location. I like the outdoors feel, and my husband liked the city feel, so we got a little of both. From the boat ride to and from the island, the bonfire on the beach with the city skyline, lawn games. It was literally perfect!

Our guests raved about the food! They said it was the best wedding food they ever had, and the best location for a wedding they had ever been to.

Also Denise and Beth were the best planners. I was the most last minute bride ever, and they put everything together for me perfectly :)

I HIGHLY recommend Thompson Island for your wedding venue. I wish I could go back and do it again.

Sent on 12/05/2016

Our Wedding on Thompson Island was more amazing than we could have imagined. The setting was a perfect mix of elegant and relaxed. The view was gorgeous and the sunset over the city was unforgettable. Denise was helpful every step of the way. She offered advice and guided us through the whole planning process. She even fielded a call from my mother, who was very nervous about the logistics (boat, accommodations, accessibility for older relatives). Denise explained everything and reassured her that everything would be smooth...and it was! On the day of our wedding, Denise and the rest of the staff made sure everything came together. They decorated the tables, set up our seating chart, and made our day the most incredible day of our lives.

Sent on 12/01/2016

Lauren · Married on 08/08/2015

Thompson Island is a gem of a wedding venue! We wanted our wedding to have a destination feel, but love our home of Boston. TI was perfect for us because guests could take a ferry there and sleep over. It felt like a destination, but we had the skyline of Boston as our backdrop. Guests are still raving about our wedding and how unique it was. It was so fun to spend the weekend on the island with our family and friends. They could hike, play lawn games, hang out by the bonfire and of course enjoy our wedding! The ceremony was outside overlooking the harbor and skyline. The reception was just behind the ceremony site in a wooden pavilion that had the same views and amazing dance floor. Denise, the wedding coordinator for the island, was my saving grace throughout the planning. She was always cool, calm, and collected. She was on top of everything - I felt so confident in her ability whenever she responded to one of my many frantic emails. During our wedding weekend she was everything for me! She took such great care of me and our families. She always made sure I was ok throughout the chaos of the day and handled all the little hiccups without telling me about them. She also made sure my husband and I had a few minutes to eat. : ) I highly recommend Thompson Island. It will always hold a special place in our hearts.

Sent on 10/04/2015

Lived in Boston all my life and didn't know anything about this place and happened to stumble upon while looking for a venue. It was beautiful and all our guests were amazed. I can't tell you how many times I was told that it was the best wedding they had ever been too. Denise Roaf made sure everything was handled perfectly. She even brought a mattress, blankets and pillow over for my (nephew) ring bearer that fell asleep as soon as the reception started. My sister cannot thank her enough!!!!! The natural beauty of this place can't be put into words.

Sent on 08/05/2014

shauna · Married on 08/03/2013

BEST PLACE IN BOSTON TO GET MARRIED BY FAR! Most unique, fun, exciting, beautiful, etc, etc! We had the bet time on Thompson Island for our August Wedding. The weather was HOT in the city but beautifully breezy on the island. Denise is the best coordinator - she was there all night with anything we needed - even to spray us down with bug spray!! (not that there was many bugs). All our guests thought it was so awesome that they all could spend the night together on the island! WE had a hige bonfire after with more food and partied the night away. it was pure Magic!!! We love Thompson Island and ALL the staff!!!!!!

Sent on 09/27/2013
  • Erica

Erica · Married on 09/08/2012

BEST PEOPLE TO WORK WITH EVER! I love it here. Great food, amazing venue, great service! Put your logistics hat on because you have some planning to do, but I can't recommend it enough. Please feel free to contact me for advice/recos.

Sent on 09/14/2012

Kat · Married on 07/17/2010

Sheer perfection! Thompson Island is the Best Kept Secret in Boston -- an absolutely amazing place to have your wedding reception or event!!! Believe me, I visited everywhere from Cape Ann to Cape Cod. Those in my party have worked in meeting planning at exclusive hotels & resorts all over the world, but this private island is really an extraordinary & sparkling gem, hidden just 15 minutes from the waterfront. This was the most serene and gorgeous setting: the food and staff were utterly fantastic (really large & fresh lobsters for everyone!), the venue was incomparable and truly special. My guests came from everywhere and they are still talking about how magical our wedding reception was at this unique setting, and how they are so happy that they made the flights to Boston. Most of all, we managed to surprise even those who have lived in the Boston area for generations (but none had ever been here) by this adventurous reception; they were blown away by the exceptional and singular beauty of this place and the whole experience of it. I cannot describe accurately just how exciting, glamorous, charming, captivating and sublimely enchanting our wedding reception was thanks to the Thompson Island staff and Boston Harbor Cruises. We have glorious memories and photos, but I don't think anyone who was there will ever forget this amazing day & evening.

"Party with a conscience" is their event motto & it feels good too -- your event supports their worthy youth center through their Outward Bound programs!

Sent on 01/27/2011

Margaret · Married on 05/26/2018

Multiple guests said our wedding was the most fun one they had ever attended. With lawn games and a bonfire, the venue ensured the fun, relaxed environment we were looking for. More importantly the staff made everything easy for us; we got to just show up and enjoy the day. We just can't say enough good things about the staff!!

Sent on 06/08/2018
  • Emma

Emma · Married on 09/23/2017

Thompson Island was the first place that we looked at for possible wedding venues, and it was the only place that we couldn't stop thinking about even when touring other locations. We could not have asked for a better wedding venue. Everything about our wedding was perfect - working with Beth and the Thompson Island team was amazing, and we never felt like we weren't going to have the exact wedding that we imagined. Guests loved riding over to the island and getting to see the Boston skyline in the distance, and everyone is still talking about the food! The view from Thompson Island, especially at sunset, is ridiculous. We got really lucky and this amazing fog rolled in just as the sun was setting, which made it fee like we were truly on a totally private island. If you're looking for a truly unique, fun, and picturesque wedding venue, then Thompson Island is your place. Really... don't pass on it!

Sent on 01/03/2018
    Thompson Island Outward Bound Education Center 15
    Thompson Island Outward Bound Education Center 16
    Thompson Island Outward Bound Education Center 17

Greg · Married on 06/18/2016

This was a dream wedding for around the price of an average wedding. If you are looking for something a little untraditional and a little more casual, this is the place to get married. I feel like this place is a rare hidden gem. People at our wedding guessed that it cost 3x more than it really did. It was the best day of my life. Denise, the coordinator at the island, was amazing. She seemed to truly care about us, which made it more intimate and special.

Sent on 07/18/2016

kristie · Married on 09/17/2016

3.5

What a wonderful venue, staff and experience. Our wedding was exactly what we wanted in large part to the crew at Thompson Island.

Sent on 12/08/2016

Nyssa · Married on 09/09/2017

2.0

After hearing many friends have horror stories about the staff at their other wedding venues, I was nervous. HOWEVER, Denise and her team are the best ON THE PLANET - so nice, so fun, so flexible, so helpful. They do everything they can to make your event one-of-a-kind and outrageously fun.

Sent on 01/31/2018
  • Kate

Kate · Married on 08/31/2013

3.6
      3.5

We recently had our wedding out on Thompson Island. The actual day was the most incredible experience ever! The day of, the staff was incredible and did everything they possibly could to make our day amazing. The venue was so unique, and we just loved the beauty of the island and our guests loved the experience as well.

The only cons of this experience was the coordination of getting everything out to the island, and the expense of doing so. I felt that the island was a little challenging to coordinate everything with, and the responsiveness was a little challenging in the months leading up to the event. I would suggest this venue to others, and would even consider doing another event myself out there, but you have to go in with a bit of patience, and knowing the expense it takes to get everything out there.

Sent on 09/10/2013