The Williamsburg Winery Reviews

The Williamsburg Winery 3
The Williamsburg Winery 4
The Williamsburg Winery 5

Kristine · Married on 03/03/2012

The Winery was wonderful and working with Conie and Katie were extremely helpful and attentive. Everything time we met with them all of our needs were met and they were always concerned with us being happy and truly enjoying the process. Working with the winery was enjoyable, always fun and was such a beautiful venue that the over all feeling that we had when on the grounds of the winery was an incredibly positive one.

They hosted our Rehersal Dinner the night before and provided a wonderful atmosphere, a delicious dinner (with a menu that we helped put together) and not to mention their incredible wine!

The only thing I would recommend if you are planning on using this vendor is to ask that a woman named Ann not be involved. She insulted a number of our guests and was extremely pushy to the wedding party, myself and my husband.

Other than the interaction with Ann during the actual reception, we truly enjoyed every aspect of having our event at the winery.

Sent on 04/06/2012

3.5

From day 1 the staff made everything easy. I needed a professional group that could work with an out-of-town bride and everyone on staff was fabulous! Special shoutout to John at Wedmore Place for being amazing!! Not only could I rely on John for detail help, but he recommended vendors that he personally looked into to meet our standards, he created an elegant, on-budget meal that all of our guests RAVED about (I wish I had gotten to try it - remember to eat fellow couples!), and he SAVED THE DAY when Hurricane Joaquin threatened to spoil our day. There aren't enough thank you's in the world for this man. The winery is so beautiful and we had the best time!

Sent on 10/18/2015

Anna · Married on 10/27/2007

When choosing a location we knew we wanted something different, after our first visit to the Winery I was sold. The location is beautiful – so romantic. Our reception was in Wessex Hall (the largest of the rooms). Although the room is certainly no ornate ballroom it has a beautiful, rustic appeal. The layout of the room worked perfectly for us and since it was a beautiful day we were able to keep the balcony doors open and create a more open welcoming space. The appeal for the Winery to me is in it’s simple but rustic elegance, it also seemed to work great for the historical feel of our wedding weekend (the ceremony was on Jamestown Settlement). Our guests were blown away by the venue and found it to be very charming. Michelle was the planner at the Winery, we did not have to have too much contact with her but she was always quick to respond and everything went smoothly the day of. All the staff we encountered during our trips planning, at the wine tasting, and the day of the event were very pleasant and accommodating.

Sent on 01/29/2008

Caecey · Getting married on 05/23/2020

Beautiful venue, Great wine

We knew we wanted to get married at the winery after our first time doing a tasting there a few years ago. The property is beautiful - the back lawn perfect for a ceremony, and the reception hall equally beautiful with those fireplaces & string lights. We took pictures between the vines, it was so romantic and exactly what we wanted! The winery was going through some wedding coordinator changes while we went through our planning process, but each of them were kind and pretty responsive. We didn't like that we couldn't sample all of the food options for our specific buffet package - there were a few select choices and then you had to hope the rest were good. Since we couldn't outsource the catering, it was a little concerning going into it - but all the food ended up being delicious. The staff that worked our reception were incredible! So kind and accommodating, and they supplied pretty much everything included - tables, linens, bartender, chairs, etc. so it was less for us to think about. Overall super happy we went with them :)

The Williamsburg Winery 6
    The Williamsburg Winery 7
    The Williamsburg Winery 8
    Sent on 09/27/2019

Lindsay · Married on 11/01/2015

From the minute we walked into The Williamsburg Winery, we knew that this is where we wanted to get married. The hall and outside is absolutely beautiful. The people who work there are very helpful and helped eased the mind of a very stressed bride when I had a million and one questions.

The winery alone made our wedding the beautiful event that it turned out to be and I can't imagine getting married anywhere else.

The only downside is the price, but for that stunning of a venue in that area, you can't get a better deal.

Sent on 11/20/2015

Annie · Married on 12/19/2009

3.0

The Wessex Hall at the Williamsburg Winery is a wonderful space. We had a little trouble communicating with the event coordinator, but our reception still turned out wonderfully. The Winery was very understanding when our guest list shrank dramatically the day of the wedding due to inclement weather and adjusted the cost accordingly. We were required to serve their wine, but I didn't mind at all.

Sent on 04/07/2010

Amanda · Married on 06/06/2015

We had our wedding reception here - and it was beautiful! Our wine selection was wonderful and the staff treated us great during the wedding and during our wine tasting and selection appointment. I'm not sure who the coordinator was for our wedding - it always seemed like they were busy or not in the office to be contacted. It was a little pricey of a venue, but the beauty of the area, the smell of the winery, and the professionalism of the staff were worth it! They let us take pictures throughout the vineyard and in the cellars - which led to some great memories on film!

Sent on 11/28/2015

Jennifer · Married on 03/28/2009

3.0

Rebecca, the new coordinator, was really great and responsive. The larger hall which we had is expensive, but the smaller hall would have been too small, even for our 80 people. It was just the right size for food, tables, a band, and 2 bars. The wine service is required and really too expensive, but the guests enjoyed it. I would recommend doing beer and wine only. We served liquor, too, but very few people had it, opting for the wine since they were at a winery. We had lit trees brought in, which I'd also recommend since it's somewhat dark in there at night. We had no problems with temperature. The winery was great, but don't stay at the Wedmore Place hotel on site, which is beautiful but the service there is awful.

Sent on 04/07/2009

Courtney · Married on 10/01/2016

4.2

We recently got married at the Williamsburg Winery and were very happy with the setting.

We booked the winery over a year in advance and absolutely loved the location. Everyone was so impressed by the beauty of the grounds and we heard rave reviews about the wine that we served at the reception.

The weather didn't cooperate during our rehearsal the night before, so we had to rehearse inside which Courtney ensured went off without a hitch. The day of we were able to have our ceremony outside which made for a beautiful sunset location.

I would recommend booking early and reserving the Wedmore. Everyone who stayed at the Wedmore absolutely loved their stay!

Sent on 10/23/2016

Michele · Married on 08/02/2008

4.2
      3.5

My husband proposed here which made it perfect for the reception. We love the rustic look of the winery. We did not love the temperature. It was so HOT that it was almost unbareable. If you are set on having your reception here I would recomend having a late fall or winter wedding. We also did not realize how expensive it was going to be to have the reception here. Although the rental fees are afforable, the price of wine per person, secruity, dance floor, and extra time make this a costly choice for a reception.

Sent on 09/29/2008

3.6
      3.5

When my husband and I first got engaged, we knew that the winery was our ideal location for our reception. We first met with the winery a year before our wedding and decided to go ahead and book. This was probably the easiest part about our experience. The first coordinator we worked with was very slow at responding and never seemed interested in helping us in any manor. In our contract it said that if we chose to go with a caterer off of their preferred vendor list (all VERY expensive), but when we asked about a caterer that had done work their previously, just not a wedding, we were told that the approval committee was "picky" and we should just go with one of theirs. Then we stopped receiving responses all together for about a month until we got an email that said she had put in her two weeks notice and the contact information of the new person taking her position. Once we started working with Kristen, everything turned around. She was so accommodating, allowed us to use our caterer, even helped us save an additional fee with them by placing the tables and chairs for them. She was very quick to respond and immediately give me updated paperwork reflecting those changes. If we had dealt with Kristen the whole time, I really feel our experience of planning would have been better. Once our wedding day came, our reception turned out as beautifully as I imagined and I would do it over in a heartbeat.

Sent on 02/16/2016

Luis · Married on 09/02/2017

3.4
      3.5

We recently had our wedding at the winery. Overall I'm happy with the venue and would recommend it.
    The events staff was very pleasant and professional. There were a few times when they weren't as responsive as we'd have liked, but to be fair, I'm sure they are very busy.
    The day of the wedding, my wife asked a staffer for some buckets and water (or something) to put the flowers in once they arrived that morning. The staffer repeatedly refused to help. When my mother in law went a found a bucket the staffer insisted that only employees could handle the "equipment" and came back with hot water...for flowers. This combined with an oversight where we did not have spirits at the bar at the beginning of the reception is why we gave the low quality of service rating. For the spirits, once alerted of the oversight, spirits were brought out to the bar and we were reimbursed for the time when the drinks were not available.
    Again, I would absolutely recommend this venue for any event. The place is beautiful, the prices reasonable and outside of one person, the staff was all pleasant.

Sent on 09/19/2017

Christina · Married on 10/31/2015

3.4
      3.0

The venue was beautiful but unfortunately we had our coordinator changed out 3 times during our process and no one ever contacted us when we would get a new coordinator. We also had a lot of problems getting them to call us back when we would have questions, concerns or even we would like to make a payment. I would like to add that we didn't call that many times so the fact that when we would call, which were so few, we couldn't get a response made me very antsy during our process to plan our wedding. The venue however was beautiful and exactly what we looked for when we were planning our wedding.

Sent on 11/04/2015

Jenna · Married on 12/29/2017

3.2
      3.5

The Winery needs better communication during events. The on site coordinator was not responsive. Also the catering was not on par with what was described in the booking of the event and meal plan. The staff also threw out some of our personal items at the end of the night that were extremely important to us. All in all. The Venue is beautiful but the details of service are extremely lacking.

Sent on 01/10/2018

Irene · Married on 05/31/2008

2.8
      3.0

The Winery was pretty responsive when I was looking for a venue a year before the wedding. But when it got closer to the date they weren't that responsive to my planner.
    The place is beautiful, but they need to do something about temperature control. The room that the girls got ready in was so hot. We're all sweaty by the time of the ceremony. The Susan Constant and Wessex Halls were hot too. My planner was afraid that someone might faint because of the heat. When my planner asked the staff about the temperature, one person told her that it's at the lowest setting and another person told her that the owner locked up the thermostate and they couldn't change it.

Sent on 06/24/2008

Emily · Married on 12/03/2016

2.8
      3.0

I recently got married at the Winery. The property and the hall are both gorgeous. My low review has mostly to do with responsiveness of the staff. We booked the winery a year in advance, but it seemed the closer we got the wedding, the less responsive they became. At one point, they changed my contact person, kind of informed me, then it changed back to the original person without saying anything. There was so much miscommunication, it became very frustrating. I was told when I booked that they had some decorations that I could use day of if I wished, then when I did my final walk through, I asked to see the decorations and they said they didn't have any, and if they did, I wouldn't be able to use them. That's just an example, but there were other similar situations. They were extremely frustrating to work with, and if it wasn't for their beautiful venue, I would not have gotten married there.

Sent on 12/27/2016

Megan · Married on 12/29/2017

2.6
      2.0

We had a lovely wedding at the winery. The venue is beautiful and they have a new bridal suite and area for the groomsmen to get ready also. That being said, they respond very slowly so email (weeks at a time with continued prodding). The alcohol is extremely expensive for the cheap liquor and beer that you're getting. Food was decent wedding food (nothing exceptional but fine for a wedding). You do not get to taste the food they will be serving, which we found very strange. They did not save our wedding cake for us to have on our 1 year anniversary, despite our request to do so. And after the cocktail hour was winding down, they refused to serve my husband (the groom) a drink and the staff was incredibly rude to him. For the amount of money we paid for the event we expected them to be more professional and pleasant to the bride and groom. To be fair, they did send the bartender home after the incident. At the end of the night they approached my bridesmaid and told them they needed to immediately move all their belongings from the bridal suite. This situation also could've been handled very differently and placed undue stress on my bridesmaids who were enjoying the party at that time. I wish we had been given warning prior to the wedding. Overall we had a wonderful wedding, but I had higher expectations for the professionalism of the staff at the winery. The planning and coordination was lacking. I do not think it is the best value for your money and expect you could find better service at another location in Williamsburg.

Sent on 04/13/2018

Julie · Married on 12/19/2008

2.4
      3.0

We were looking for a rustic location in Williamsburg for our Christmas wedding. Colonial Williamsburg did not offer a venue that fit our vision so we were so excited when we found the Winery. The main reception hall is beautiful and has fireplaces at both ends...exactly what we wanted. The fees associated with the hall are high but what really pushes it over the edge is the wine fees. The wine is not that great and they are charging way too much. When I first started working with the winery I was dealing with their event coordinator that quit the month before my wedding. She was not too happy working there and informed us of all the restrictions enforced by the owners and stopped being responsive to my few and far between emails. We had expressed our plans to bring Christmas trees to the previous and new event coordinators and neither had said a word about that being a problem. The day before the wedding we showed up with 4 big trees that we needed to store in their warehouse. Not one word had been said to me that it would be a problem...the story quickly became that the trees were a problem and that we probably wouldn't be able to put them all in the hall because they may be a fire hazard. The hall is 4600 sq ft and we had about 80 guests....ultimately they fit just fine but we were definitely made to feel that we had overstepped our limits and were treated like criminals having to hide in the warehouse with the doors shut in case the owners walked by. Ridiculous. Also we had counted on having fires lit in the fireplaces since that was a huge selling point on the place. The restriction is that the temperature must fall below a certain degree for them to light...a restriction we met that evening but for some reason they could not light the fires and the only thing they could offer were candles on foil in front of the fireplace. Classy. Also they have several candles on pillars that went unlit all evening and bulbs that were requested to be changed were left unlit as well. I think the winery has a great deal of turnover, they do not maintain the facility that well for what you are paying for, and most any question or you request will be met with a sour faced "no". Ultimately we had a beautiful wedding there and everyone had a great time but I think you can find a better value elsewhere.

Sent on 02/09/2009

Madolyn · Married on 03/23/2019

2.2

Not worth it

My wife and I chose the winery because when we toured it the staff and venue really stuck out to us. We booked a year out. A few months before our wedding there was a staff change. No one contacted us telling us that there was a new coordinator at the venue. When we did get ahold of her, she was very bad at responding and unprofessional in her emails. After doing our final walkthrough, the winery tried to charge us for their new nice chairs even though the contract says they will provide chairs. They gave us such a big headache and the new management is not worth working with. Not worth the stress or money. The only nice thing about the winery was our day of crew that worked our wedding and that is because the new management wasn’t working it. Highly don’t recommend the unprofessionalism of the winery

Sent on 04/15/2019

Amy · Married on 10/31/2009

1.6
      2.0

When we got engaged, we knew immediately that we wanted to get married at The Williamsburg Winery. It is our favorite winery and the Wessex Hall is just gorgeous. Unfortunately, the treatment and inflexibility left a bad taste in our mouths and our memories of the winery are now tainted. You have very little choice as to when your event can start and the event manager is not very friendly or responsive. When we had questions, we had to call/email several times before we could get an answer. This was especially difficult since we were planning the wedding from out of town and couldn't simply go over there. We had to rely on phone calls and email. She treated our wedding as if it were a burden to her. When we arrived for the rehearsal (which had been scheduled months before) we were made to feel as if we were not allowed to be there.

The wedding itself was beautiful and everything went well in the end, but unless you have strong ties to the winery, I would recommend you look elsewhere for a venue.

Sent on 11/05/2009

1.4
      0.5
      1.5

Our wedding was two years ago now, so I've had some time and distance to reflect on our experience with Williamsburg Winery. I can imagine that most of the time this venue is fine. But not every wedding happens during "most of the time". Ours happened to be during a blizzard (blizzard by SE Virginia standards). Here's the good of what happened with out venue: they were open, the bartenders arrived and were genuinely the loveliest folks. This review does not reflect their service as employees of the winery. The not good: before the event or coordinator was changed multiple times and the venue was pretty terrible about responding after we signed the contract, the day-of the maintenance folks never showed up and the venue, apparently, didn't have shovels. My husband and his groomsmen had to go borrow and buy shovels and salt and they shoveled and salted the walkways as much as possible....this is despite the venue posting on social media that they were open... The coordinator from the venue made no effort to provide any help whatsoever, and then in the middle of the day she left because she claimed she got wet and didn't want to get sick- she never came back (can't make this stuff up). The parking area was so unsafe for our visitors to walk through, we ended up having to hire a valet service last minute to park our guests' cars. It was recommended to us by the wedding professionals we were working with that we should contact the venue and discuss potential options for reimbursement for the valet crew as they really left us helpless during our event. I didn't expect any reimbursement but I did expect some form of an apology; instead, we got a very rude manager who pointed to our contract (fair), and said in so many words "that's what you get for having a wedding in winter." Our pictures were pretty, our vendors were AMAZING. The venue was a huge disappointment. It didn't spoil our day, but it still hurts my heart to think back on all this. This was bad business, WW.

Sent on 12/19/2017

Patti · Married on 10/18/2013

0.0

My daughter recently got married at the Williamsburg winery. And everything was wonderful but that was due entirely to the bride and groom and their families and friends. They could have gotten married in a field and it would have been just as nice.

Sent on 10/21/2013