The Story Photography Reviews

60 | Syracuse, NY

60 Reviews for The Story Photography

Alana · Married on 08/26/2017

We are SO happy that we went with The Story Photography for our wedding photographer! Chris was extremely responsive, often times replying to my messages within minutes. He also took the time to get to know us and what kind of pictures we were looking for. Both he and the second photographer he brought with him, Jessica, were very laid back and fun to work with, and the pictures they took were all absolutely stunning. And this was no easy feat because typically my husband and I are goofy and not very photogenic, but Chris gave us a lot of advice on how to pose and the pictures came out amazing! I also couldn't believe how quickly he sent me the online gallery - we had hundreds and hundreds of pictures within two weeks of our wedding. I highly recommend The Story Photography!!

Sent on 10/26/2017

Emily · Married on 08/13/2017

The very first time my husband and I saw the website for The Story Photography, we knew that Chris was the right wedding photographer for us. The couples in his pictures looked as comfortable and happy as we hoped we would be on our wedding day. You could just tell that he was capturing real emotion, not just in the wedding party but in all of the guests. We probably had the highest possible expectations of Chris, and he did not disappoint!

Chris is a professional, experienced, and talented wedding photographer with an amazing eye for special moments. He’s also a great guy... and possibly a ninja. He got pictures of moments even WE had never witnessed. He practically clambered into a lake to get a stunning long shot for our portraits. The man literally chased us down on the highway after the ceremony so that he and his co-photographer, Heather (also amazing), could get a picture of us in the back of our getaway car. And he was completely friendly, efficient, and unobtrusive the whole time. I think our day actually ran more smoothly because he was there to guide us effortlessly through it all.

Nor are rumors of Chris’s turnaround exaggerated. He wrote back to most of our emails within minutes. He once actually apologized for a reply that had been “delayed” by a few hours because, and I quote, “I just got in from photographing another event this evening.” He got us our engagement pictures only 3 days after the shoot, and we had ALL of our fully edited wedding pictures within 10 DAYS of the wedding. Not to mention, he’d photographed two other weddings just on our wedding weekend!!

Having run on for far too long, I haven’t said nearly enough, so I’ll just say this. Chris will give you wedding photos that you’ll treasure lifelong, so beautiful and touching that your descendants will want to hang them on their walls. If that’s something you want, choose The Story Photography. End of story.

Sent on 10/05/2017

Siobhan · Married on 04/01/2017

We were beyond pleased with our experience working with Chris. Chris was so incredibly easy to work with, his experience and organization were so appreciated throughout the planning process. Having only spoken to Chris over the phone, meeting him in person on the morning of the wedding could have been awkward or nerve-wracking, however Chris was so calm, patient, and not intrusive at all. He let the events of the morning happen so naturally all while capturing beautiful moments. Chris got up a blog post shortly after our wedding day and it brought so much joy to us as we read through his sweet commentary and got a glimpse at some of the great shots he took. I had heard from friends that putting together the wedding album was the worst part of wedding pictures and many still haven’t put theirs together over 2 years later. Chris made this process super easy by pulling together the pictures he thought worked best and then allowing us to make edits. It was so much less daunting then starting from a blank canvas. We received our album two months after the wedding and I love looking through the beautiful book often. I lost my grandmother unexpectedly six months after our wedding and am so so thankful Chris captured so many beautiful shots of her enjoying the day. We had put together a small album for my grandparents of pictures Chris took and the book made her so happy. She loved that day and thanks to Chris, I have pictures of our last family event that I will cherish forever. Chris in an amazing photographer and an authentic person. You can’t go wrong with The Story Photography.

Sent on 01/02/2018

Laura · Married on 10/29/2016

Chris is the best!! I thought I would have regretted not getting a videographer to capture all of the moments but once I saw all of the pictures Chris took I was amazed at the story they told of my entire wedding day! He truly captured every single moment and I am forever grateful for that! Chris was amazing to deal with throughout the planning process. He provided me with all of the photos shortly after the wedding so I was able to enjoy looking at all of them on the honeymoon. I can't say enough positive things about Chris.

Sent on 11/21/2016

Morgan · Married on 10/08/2016

As cliche as this sounds, Chris 100% captured the most beautiful day of our lives. His professionalism, easy going manner and ability to just know the perfect picture really made it so easy for us. We can't thank Chris enough for documenting every single moment of our wedding. I'm still in awe that we not only have sooooo many beautiful portrait pictures but also how Chris captured every single crazy, funny and loving moment from that day. From the moment the bridal party started to get ready, to the beautiful boat ride after the ceremony, all the way up to the after party. Thank you Chris, we seriously can't thank you enough!

Sent on 11/21/2016

Tara · Married on 09/17/2016

Chris was an absolute PLEASURE to work with. I can not say it enough. He came to Cape Cod all the way from NY to shoot our wedding. And he completely worked around our budget and our preferences. We are both more on the shy side when it comes to being photographed, Chris made us feel so comfortable and we felt at the end of the day that we had not only found a great photographer- but also a friend. The photos are another EXCEPTIONAL thing from Chris. From the engagement shoot to the wedding day pictures- I was blown away with his vision and the way he captured our special day. We wanted the portraits to be mostly candids and not take much time away from the wedding- Chris was amazing at creating a timeline so that we were able to make our cocktail hour. Completely blown away and would recommend Chris to any couple looking for amazing photos. Great guy, great photographer. You will not be disappointed!

Sent on 10/27/2016

Sabina · Married on 09/03/2016

Chris is absolutely fantastic!! He captures your entire day and other than the pre-ceremony photos, you would never know he is there and you are just in shock as you go through your photos wondering how he did it!!! I am in love with my wedding and engagement photos and would recommend Chris to anyone. Knowing that I will have these memories forever makes my heart swell with joy. The quality Chris provides in the photos is unbelievable. His photos help me relive the best day of my life every time I look at them :) which is quite often! Chris is extremely flexible and really does put you first for your big day. I never felt like he didn't want to be there or that he was rushing to finish at the end. He is passionate about what he does and you can just see it on his face when he gets that "great shot" how excited he is and just can't wait to show you. He arrived when we wanted him to and stayed until the very end when we had our sparkler send off. The photos are just incredible. Thank you Chris for everything!

Sent on 10/27/2016

Amy · Married on 08/13/2016

Chris Szulwach, the Story Photography, will be our photographer for life. You will be inundated with reviews, and portfolios and fret over who one to choose. Relax. You found him. There are so many great photographers, no doubt. You want a photographer that will capture the essence of you, your love, and all the special moments that might go unnoticed, or become a forgotten memory if not captured on camera. Chris will capture them. There is so much happening on the big day that's it's impossible to see and absorb everything as it happens. You want photos you can proudly share far and wide, in cyber space, and on your wall space. You will get those, but you will also get a photographer who is extremely responsive, who will listen to your ideas and help make your vision a reality. Who will literally walk waist deep in a lake to capture a moment you envision. The only problem I have now is the long list of events I want him to capture for us. I wish we could bring him on our honeymoon!

Sent on 11/08/2016

Jennifer · Married on 07/16/2016

Chris is excellent! EXTREMELY RESPONSIVE!! Not enough words to explain how awesome it is to send a message out to a vendor and have a near immediate response. And he follows up too if he doesn't hear from you, which is extremely key for someone like me who tends to procrastinate and was sooo disorganized when it came to planning my wedding... I was changing plans for pictures literally the day before my wedding and Chris was just like, "Ok no problem, changes made!" He is easy-going and excellent at what he does. My wedding photos are awesome, he caught SO MANY amazing candid moments, and so much of the laughter/fun that went on that day. I don't even know how we have so many different views of our first dance, between Chris and the 2nd photographer they literally hit every single angle possible! It's incredible. And our formal portraits are great too but I stupidly wanted to rush through all the posed group photos and family photos to get to the cocktail hour and the "fun", and he did exactly what I asked for, and now my only regret is not slowing down instead and getting a few more portraits/group shots! I have nearly 1000 amazing photos, and now I want even more haha, that's how great my photos are. And lastly, Chris is the definition of the word EFFICIENT. He had all of our wedding photos edited and uploaded to a link for us to view just 2 weeks after our wedding day, and he posts sneak peeks on his blog within days of the event. I have no idea where he finds the time. It took me 3 months just to sort through and post my favorite pics on Facebook! Overall, you're in great hands with Chris. He's everywhere at your wedding and yet you have no idea he's there. There are so many pictures but I genuinely don't remember seeing him outside of the formal portraits. He's like a photo ninja. Thanks again Chris for the excellent work!

Sent on 10/31/2016

Jackie · Married on 06/11/2016

Chris is an exceptionally professional, talented, and diligent photographer. Our wedding was on a Saturday in June and preview photos were posted the next day and we received our entire digital album on that following Thursday.

Chris made everyone feel comfortable and at ease as he worked and took unique and beautiful shots that truly captured "us" and our family. The happy tears, the smiles, and kids laughing are all now beautiful memories we will have for a lifetime. My husband and our family have been raving over every photo.

I cannot stress enough that if you're looking for a photographer, you've found him! The Costello's cannot thank you enough for these treasures!

Sent on 06/17/2016

Diane · Married on 06/04/2016

Chris perfectly captured our wedding day and engagement. He was easily accessible and quickly responded to all of our emails. His turnaround time is awesome- he got our photos to us less about three days after the wedding! He has a calming presence, helping us relax in front if the camera and making us laugh. Also, when some of my family didn't show on time for photos before the ceremony, he was incredibly flexible and made the situation work to make sure we got our shots. More than anything, Chris took the time to get to know us and helped tell our story through his work.

Our friends and family cannot stop raving about how beautiful the photos are. He has a really incredible eye for great shots and works hard to capture all the candid, meaningful moments. In looking back at our pictures, anyone can see the emotion from our day.

Sent on 06/12/2016

Incredible. Chris is talented, professional, and warm. He is calm and easy to be around. He got our photos back to us very quickly, and was happy to help with any request we had. We are so happy that we chose him for our wedding day.

The photographs of the day were stunning. They perfectly captured our day without ever feeling forced.

Sent on 06/10/2016

Victoria · Married on 03/12/2016

Chris was absolutely fantastic! He was incredibly responsive, efficient, and professional throughout this process. He made sure to accommodate our needs and preferences every step of the way. Chris truly helped make our special day what it was and we are incredibly thankful for his efforts. We undoubtedly recommend Chris for anyone with photography needs.

Sent on 08/05/2016

The Story Photography's reply:

Thank you so much for the kind words! It's always an honor to be a part of such an important day in the life of a couple and their families!

Ramsha · Married on 10/17/2015

We were a little nervous as we had a mixed culture wedding (Pakistani & American). But Chris took all the worries away and did an amazing job!! He worked well with us before and during the wedding and was great dealing with our very vocal guests! The photos came out amazing and he had a perfect sight for what we were looking for! Overall, I would use Chris over again and definitely recommend him to anyone and everyone!

Sent on 10/31/2015

Julie · Married on 10/03/2015

Picking The Story Photography was one of the best decisions we made when planning our wedding. We didn’t quite know what we were looking for when choosing a photographer. In the end we went for someone who we felt a connection with (after all you will spend much of your day with your photographer), liked their style of photography/quality and was responsive to inquiries. Chris is an absolute professional and very good at what he does. His technical skills are excellent and he was able to capture all of the special and subtle moments from our wedding day. He was very easy to work with - organized, experienced, responsive and an overall nice guy. We were so happy with the pictures and are reliving the entire wedding through his gorgeous pictures that were available shortly after the wedding. I highly recommend The Story Photography!

Sent on 10/31/2015
  • Y

Yang · Married on 09/27/2015

Chris is very nice and he has a very impressive turn around time. He always replies emails promptly. That's very important when you are stressed during wedding preparation!

He's very organized and patient. We revised the wedding day timeline several times.

His pictures are absolutely stunning. Really love what he captured. You can see this point from his blog.

Sent on 12/03/2015

Jenna · Married on 09/20/2015

Professional, talented, easy to work with. Great value.

Sent on 10/19/2015

Kaitlyn · Married on 09/06/2015

Chris was absolutely fantastic! He is an amazing person with such a huge talent. He really captures all of the important pieces in the wedding without you even telling him. He got some amazing pictures of things I never asked for that mean so much! His photo quality is quite impressive! We still can't believe how amazing and clear they are! He is able to capture perfect moments to cherish forever. We are so thankful and highly recommend him to everyone! What a gift he has.

Sent on 09/15/2015

Beth · Married on 08/15/2015

The Story Photography was wonderful from start to finish! Chris was always extremely responsive, knowledgeable and our photographs are amazing. We are so thankful he was able to get amazing shots that look natural and show the true happiness and joy of our day. He is extremely talented and a pleasure to work with. If you can snatch him up, do it without hesitation!

Sent on 11/01/2015

Amanda · Married on 08/01/2015

We had the best experience working with Chris for our wedding in early August. We looked at dozens of photographers online before deciding to go with Chris. After the fact, I am really glad that we did. Chris was really proactive about sending us information and asking us questions about what we wanted photography-wise before the event. This allowed us to ask our families ahead of time about what pictures they wanted and make plans to communicate to everyone where they should be and when. Both the candids and the portraits Chris captured were beautiful, and he was super fast about getting them to us -- within a few weeks (I know other couples that had to wait 4 months before any pictures were ready from other photographers). He is a very nice guy, professional, and I can't recommend him more.

Sent on 08/20/2015

The Story Photography's reply:

Wow! Thanks so much for the kind words Amanda! It was a joy for me to be there for you and Patrick!

Sarah · Married on 05/30/2015

Chris was amazing! We picked a package that included engagement pictures and a second photographer for our wedding day. Our engagement pictures were beautiful and our wedding day pictures were absolutely stunning! Chris is a complete professional and was great at responding to emails and questions. Then his photography just speaks for itself. We have so many beautiful memories to last a lifetime!! He also does a blog post after both engagement and wedding day photos so you get a little sneak peak a day or two after. Then I was shocked at how fast he had the rest of the pictures ready, especially the wedding (<2weeks!). You won't regret it if you choose him as your wedding photographer!

Sent on 06/15/2015

The Story Photography's reply:

Sarah! It was a complete joy for me to be a part of the wedding for you and Ross!

Darlene · Married on 05/16/2015

From the very first meeting with Chris at The Story Photography, almost 1.5 years before our wedding date, we knew we wanted to book him for our special day. We had a very certain aesthetic we wanted captured in our photography, not just focus on posed group portraits that take forever and are uncomfortable for most. As we looked through examples of Chris's work, we noted how his pictures almost seemed like stills from a movie. Needless to say, we booked him as soon as we could. We got our pictures this past weekend (1 week after our wedding!) and they are absolutely perfect.
    By Chris partnering with our DJ, they came up with a great timeline for the day that included cocktail hour first, bridal part portraits, quick family portraits, and amazing pics of our reception. As we thought we might be uncomfortable being posed, Chris made sure those parts moved quickly, and he was able to photograph many candid shots of our family and friends celebrating, which we loved!
    Going into the day, we were 100% wanting most to have shots taken of us during "the magic hour". The weather did not cooperate, which was very disappointing. Chris took us out near the lake and venues fire pit at night, and the shots we captures more than made up for mother nature not letting us get what we want.

Sent on 05/26/2015

The Story Photography's reply:

Thank you Darlene! I had such a great time being a part of the day for you and Matt!

Katie · Married on 01/10/2015

Highly recommend Chris! He has amazing talent and is such a pleasure to work with! He captures the joy in moments so well, including those little moments that are easy to miss. He pays attention to all the little details and has so many creative and unique ideas, while making sure to capture all of the moments you request. Every time I had a question or reached out to him, I couldn't believe how quick he was to respond. We even received our photos and albums much earlier than we expected (both great surprises!). Makes such a huge difference especially when it comes close to the big day and you're trying to organize everything and not add to your already existing stress. We are so in love with our wedding photos and have received so many compliments. Well worth the money and easily one of the best decisions we made to work with Chris. Great quality and an amazing eye. Whenever we look through our gorgeous album, we find another picture to love and it brings tears to our eyes every time. His name is so true to the "product" you will receive, a beautiful collection of your special day from beginning to end that you will treasure forever.

Sent on 03/10/2015

The Story Photography's reply:

Katie & Mark! It was such a joy for me to be a part of your wedding day!

Melissa · Married on 09/27/2014

Hire Christopher with The Story Photography if you'd like almost every wedding guest to comment to you about how nice and how professional he is throughout the weekend. He worked with the venue and the florist seamlessly - he was enjoyed by everyone.

But then the kicker. I have friends my age who have been married for a few years. They have told me they're retroactively upset that their photographer wasn't as efficient and EXCELLENT as ours was. The photo gallery was up so quickly after the wedding and the photos are AMAZING. He captured so many moments, and just the general quality of the photographs is superb. Also, his website and the online resources he uses for payment and for sharing pictures is great. He writes a blog post for every engagement session and wedding that you can share with all your family and friends, and it's done within a few days of the shoot.

Seriously, Chris was one of the best decisions we made when planning the wedding.

Sent on 10/06/2014

Christine · Married on 09/20/2014

Chris from the story is absolutely amazing! He finds the best shots and can turn the simplest shots into something amazing! He is always available and responds immediatly! He was great and my husband and I are in love with the photos he took! We got them back extremely quickly and we got our beautiful album only a month after the wedding!

Sent on 10/29/2014